PDA

View Full Version : Preki Approval Rating: Once More with Feeling..

__wowza
09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
August 2010 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=23962&highlight=preki+approval)
Yes: 72.25%
No: 27.75
Form: D / D / W / L / D / D / W / L

June 2010 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22918)
Yes: 96.30%
No: 3.70%
Form: W / W / D / D / W / W

May 2010 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...Preki+Approval)
Yes: 69.82%
No: 30.18%
Form: L / W / W / T / T / W / W

April 2010 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...Preki+Approval)
Yes: 67.20%
No: 32.80%
Form: L / W / L / W / W / L

here are the stats and links from previous preki threads. as you can see, the majority of us approved of the work he'd done with the club, he racked in a 76% average approval rating over all in the 4 months he was with this club (thanks mostly to our amazing pre-cup form). it's interesting looking back at these threads and seeing whose support he's gained, and whose he's lost. i'm still kinda interested to gauge how everyone thought he did at his tenure here with what he was given. so let's hear it, keeping the bigger picture in mind, one last time folks.. did you approve of the job Preki did as head coach of TFC?

Parkdale
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
such a loaded question.

Was he better than MoJo/Carver/Cummins? Yes. Was he as good as we needed him to be? Nope.

__wowza
09-14-2010, 04:11 PM
i honestly believe that given a fair shake at the stick, with a competent manager, we would've built a winner. our lack of depth was in no way shape or form his fault, and for everyone who likes to beat their chests at "preki guys" that he fields, remember that he would then also be responsible for:

harden, cann, gargan, & the santos/barrett pairing.

Shakes McQueen
09-14-2010, 04:11 PM
It's an impossible question to assess - far different than asking us what we thought of the job he was doing to date.

Who could look at our record, and state simply that they "approve of the job he did"? The reality is far more nuanced than that.

I thought Preki deserved another chance with a new GM (if they would have him). But do I approve of the results he delivered? Of course not. And that is his job.

- Scott

Jeffro
09-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Disapprove.

Anti-Football=Angry-Jeffro

__wowza
09-14-2010, 04:15 PM
to everyone who feels that this is too big of a question, please view the following from DichioTFC's original threads.

..A low approval rating does not rate him as an overall failure, just like a high approval rating does not mean he's Sir Alex Ferguson.

2. Whatever factors or metrics your feel are most important to you in the coaching position, use those to guide you..

Super
09-14-2010, 04:24 PM
I am personally very happy to see Preki go today. I don't think he's the right coach for us, and I strongly disagree with his football philosophy in general.

razor787
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Preki took a team, that last year, broke down in the last minutes of every game, and taught them how to compete. Up until we lost Barrett and Santos, we were really expecting to make the playoffs. With the depth that he was given (whether people say that it was him that asked for people or not, it was Mo's job either way, to actually bring in the players) Preki did a reasonably decent job.

I personally feel he should have been given more time. But, seeing how he does next season, and if the first half gave poor results, then we would be pretty much guarenteed not to make playoffs, because the players would yet again, need to make adjustments to their game, to suit the new coach.

So although I said I approved with preki, I guess that firing him, is an acceptable move.

deltox
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
i think that we will never get anyway if we get a new coach every yr.

think about NANA.. he himself has been on the same team and has now had 5 different coaches. thats not right

nfitz
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Not sure how I answer this one.

Do I approve of the job Preki did? No, in retrospect ... though to be honest I had few major qualms until the game in Panama.

Did I at the time approve? Yes.

So the answer to "Did I approve" is yes. But is that the question?

TFCREDNWHITE
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
i think that we will never get anyway if we get a new coach every yr.

think about NANA.. he himself has been on the same team and has now had 5 different coaches. thats not right

Agreed. Daso wouldn't do shit. Next year we will get a new coach and start ALL over again...Rubbish!

Pookie
09-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I wrote on this subject in the firing thread but it is fitting here.

I'm 50/50 on the decision to let Preki go. I think his departure is more political in nature.

This team lacked discipline and fitness. Preki had the balls to bench our supposed superstar for breaking curfew and Mo's second DP signing who didn't hustle and sent the message that no one is bigger than the team.

Mo has a history of undermining coaches (see Chris Cummins and the mysterious departure of Carver) and I don't doubt for a second that this trend could have continued here. Mo propped up players against the coach (if you believe Cummins) and it is very plausible that it happened again.

I met Preki on 3 occassions this year and found him very approachable, professional and genuinely passionate about what he did.

I can't comment on his style of play as the supposed root cause of the downfall of this team. Clearly, this style was good enough to get Chivas into 3 post season rounds. For some reason, it didn't work here. Was it because the system is flawed? Was it because of "dressing room influences"? We'll never really know.

What I do know is that the firing had to happen from a perception standpoint. It's a clean slate for the new "Manager" but considering that Peddie and Anselmi are hiring that Manager, I don't have a ton of confidence in their ability to choose someone with experience.

Good luck Preki.

Heart of Stone
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Unlike Carver and Cummins, Preki will come back to haunt us...

222Westside
09-14-2010, 05:58 PM
He looked like a bum on the sidelines..... put a suit on damn it!

deltox
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Daso didnt even wear a suit today...and they were announcing him as coach!

J .
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Id have given Preki more time to get rid of the country club atmosphere.

supersaint
09-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Very happy to see Preki gone. He was not a good fit for Toronto. Too much of a control freak. Too loyal to Garcia. Too unwilling to accept that any losses or poor results were maybe caused by his strategic decisions. An inability to develop talent. Terrible PR with the local media. Every game we played recently, he would say, at least the guys worked hard, and that is true, but it takes a lot more than running your arse off, sometimes it takes playing smart.
The lame excuses were a joke, maybe we are cursed. The ball is not bouncing for us. Officials out to get us. Poor scheduling.
This is the first season I have not enjoyed going to BMO. I was not going to renew my season tix with Preki coaching.
He was turning off hardened supporters, and he was certainly not going to win us over any new fans. And we need to grow the game in our market. The success of this team in Toronto is still very fragile.
I believe in the team. I am surprised this happened before season end. But I am very happy, and I am sure I am not the only supporter who is.

Roogsy
09-14-2010, 06:21 PM
This is the first season I have not enjoyed going to BMO. I was not going to renew my season tix with Preki coaching.

Now that you mention it, I have to admit this season has been particularly different for me too and I haven't liked going to see this team play either. Through all our struggles, I have not felt that way before.

FluSH
09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Amongst many things.... the last straw for me was that he took the wrong gamble... CCL over playoffs and both are now in need of a serious recovery

CretanBull
09-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Now that you mention it, I have to admit this season has been particularly different for me too and I haven't liked going to see this team play either. Through all our struggles, I have not felt that way before.

You guys aren't the only ones....

Darlofletch
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
I posted this in another thread a week or two ago. suggesting the season could be broken into 4 parts. for me, parts 2 and 3 represent what Preki can do as a coach when not hamstrung by depth issues. during that time in all competitions, we went 8-3-8, too many draws, but still not too shabby at all. If the question is strictly coaching related, then yes I approve.

his hand in squad building and player relations and managing the egos, well he's not so goood at that bit.

1) first few weeks of the season, new players arriving so effectively no pre-season, we're a bit of a mess, letting in a lot of goals, and not really effective going forward, a bit chaotic and just up to individuals to get any goals. De Ro thrived in this environment and earned us a few points, but let's face it we were a mess.

2)late april/early may-early june. The squad's more settled, Preki's system kicks in, Cann arrives and really helps out the defence. With varying sucess (rsl away being the obvious fuck up) Preki figures out who his starters are and aren't, and we look solid defensively, if only sporadically successful up front. We have a lot of home games that helped, but also get results away at LA and San Jose, and wrap up the v-cup with no drama. all in all we're looking good, and with Barrett starting to score some goals, we're less reliant on de ro.

3) post world cup break- santos/barrett injury. we don't really get it going after the break, and though still good defensively, we're struggling up front and the need for an improvement on white is obvious. So we birng in Santos and Mista. Maicon helps out instantly, Mista doesn't play much, but looks very creative in the space behind the front two. We're far from the finished article, especially away from home, but we put in some good performances, especially against Motagua and look really good against chivas. Preki's system, plus more talented players looks a good combination.

4) post injuries. Aside form the red bull fiasco, we're still defensively solid, but we're awful up front, White isn't good enough, neither is ibbe or peterson, Mista and De Ro struggle without good forwards to distract the defence. Preki's system without enough talented players really isn't good enough.

so all in all, speaking strictly as a coach, i'm happy with prekinot ecsatatic by any means, as he doesn't seem to have a good plan b to have used over the last few games, and injuries are always going to happen, but happy, b-, maybe c+.

He's presumbably had input into player signings and such like, and in that area, we're woefully thin when it comes to forwards who can make a difference within the defence first sytem, so i'm not happy with him and Mo there.

Player relations, I'm really intrigues to fin out the full story with Mista, but it doesn't look good.

Overall, Keep Preki as coach, and hopefully next year our squad will be a) more or less in place in pre season, and b), improved with better signings, even if it is just a case of getting rid of some dead wood form this year and trying a bunch out and seeing who sticks. Starting all over again would not be helpful imo.

Pachuco
09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
There's nothing difficult or impossible about the question. I didn't approve, some of the worst tactics I've seen put together by a professional football club. Good riddance, please, please, get signed by another MLS team. I'd love to play your team so that we can play with 11 forwards and have no concern that you'll get your team past half. I would even go as far as pulling my goalie for a game against Preki's anti-football tactics.

Oldtimer
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
De Guzman had kind words for Johnston, but struggled to compliment his former coach.
"When Preki was here, to be honest, there wasn't really any system," the Scarborough native said in an illuminating one-on-one interview.
"That was the major thing missing in the training and preparation for the game. There was nothing to work with. That's something that has an effect on a lot of players."

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/15350681.html#/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/pf-15350681.html

says it all. Many of us were fooled.

Roogsy
09-14-2010, 06:59 PM
We all know it's the player's fault. :D

Pookie
09-14-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/15350681.html#/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/pf-15350681.html

^ did he talk about missing his curfew in Game #2 as something important for game preparation?

ManUtd4ever
09-14-2010, 07:19 PM

The article is very telling indeed. Personally, I think Preki's abrasive personality wore on the players over time and he finally sealed his own fate when he arbitrarily decided to banish Dasovic from the bench on an alleged scouting mission. It was at that point that the players completely lost respect for their coach as well as any sense of focus or motivation on the pitch...

Pookie
09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
The article is very telling indeed. Personally, I think Preki's abrasive personality wore on the players over time and he finally sealed his own fate when he arbitrarily decided to banish Dasovic from the bench on an alleged scouting mission. It was at that point that the players completely lost respect for their coach as well as any sense of focus or motivation on the pitch...

That motivation comment bugs me. It's probably true but this is what DeGuzman had to say about Preki in February:

Midfielder Julian de Guzman, who played just five games in 2009 after signing as TFC's first designated player in September, said he felt there was too much complacency last season, a lack of real anger at losing. With Preki's "winning mentality," he said, that will have to change in 2010.

Then on April 10th, he misses the team curfew by a long shot and is pulled from the game in New England. The supposed "Star" player with the wallet to match demonstrating his leadership and commitment to his own "winning mentality."

Then on May 3rd, Paul James writes this comment in his post game report of a loss to Real Salt Lake.

"The problems began for the team when the coach announced his starting line-up which did not include the star duo of Dwayne DeRosario and Julian DeGuzman. Maybe there was something more to this than meets the eye but if not, then one has to conclude it was the coach trying to be a little too clever."

Later on May 23rd, James writes:

"... Toronto FC continues to impress. Of course, they are still aesthetically difficult to please at times, but being in the business of winning, Preki’s approach thus far has been spot on. Good mentality, terrific work ethic, good team spirit, a balanced team and well organized. It has allowed this current TFC team to maximize their potential."

Preki tried to build this team with the idea that everyone was equal regardless of paycheck. No one was bigger than the team. I would wager that the May 3rd "event" involving DeRo and JDG was a continuation of his approach which appeared to be working as of May 23rd.

I'm happy with the departure of Mo and I believe Preki had to go if only for the sake of the short term and the optics that a decision will make. We probably stand a better chance at the playoffs now this year than we did with him there because of all of this.

But honestly guys, over the long term this has the Maple Leafs Country Club feeling written all over it. Remember that this core group of players had Cummins at the helm and managed to blow last season too.

I feel Mo was likely working the locker room politics, undermining Preki by giving power (real or perceived) to players that he felt should be playing more or in different roles. That was what Cummins alleged in his interview.

Preki had the balls to try to instill a team mentality, just as he did at Chivas when he got rid of Guevara. He rolled the dice and got caught in a struggle that has clearly given the players the balance of power.

That's fine.

The players have no more free pass, IMO. If JDG can't turn his pathetic MLS career around, he should be next to go.

DichioTFC
09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I approve of _wowza for creating this. I was debating putting it up and was going to after class. You beat me to it. ;)

Damien
09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Preki being a buddy of MoJo's might have handcuffed us after firing Mo. Although he wasn't a bad coach, due to politics it was probably best to send him on his way.

Roogsy
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Preki had the balls to try to instill a team mentality, just as he did at Chivas when he got rid of Guevara. He rolled the dice and got caught in a struggle that has clearly given the players the balance of power.

This is where I have a real problem with Preki. If this is all true and even if the players won a "power struggle" (which by the way I don't believe from what I have been told) then if this were the case, then Preki is not only a bad strategist on the pitch, he is a bad one in lockerroom politics and unfortunately to be an effective coach, you have to be good at both. He wasn't. Hence he is gone.

DichioTFC
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I honestly thought the percentage in favour of Preki would be in the 10-15% range.

35% in the cynical Toronto market is like par for the course, innit?

FluSH
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

For what is worth I believe JDG blabs out the truth... remember when he was surprised the supporters didn't attack the team bus after that horrible loss in NE... and he said it to a reporter! lor was it another loss? anyhow it was a bad road loss lol

DichioTFC
09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
My main sources of disappointment were with his player management "skill" and the simple number of players he got rid of.

Serioux, Guevara, Gerba, Cronin, Robinson, Wynne and potentially Mista. Who knows where we would have been with a squad of that caliber added to what we currently have.

Pookie
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM
My main sources of disappointment were with his player management "skill" and the simple number of players he got rid of.

Serioux, Guevara, Gerba, Cronin, Robinson, Wynne and potentially Mista. Who knows where we would have been with a squad of that caliber added to what we currently have.

^ with a salary cap, you wouldn't have had that added to what we currently have you'd have that. And that got us out of the playoffs.

I've got a Serioux jersey so I like the guy but the lack of heart that we saw all through last season, the late game losses in last season plus the previous one(s) absolutely had to end. I don't miss anyone on that list.

Heart of Stone
09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
If JDG can't turn his pathetic MLS career around, he should be next to go.

And to continue with Paul James... he wrote recently (late Aug.) that JDG has not only failed to produce, but given the style of MLS, has little potential of being effective... Paul James basically says that TFC should admit that JDG has not worked out and cut their losses as soon as possible...

DichioTFC
09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
^ with a salary cap, you wouldn't have had that added to what we currently have you'd have that. And that got us out of the playoffs.

I've got a Serioux jersey so I like the guy but the lack of heart that we saw all through last season, the late game losses in last season plus the previous one(s) absolutely had to end. I don't miss anyone on that list.

I dont doubt the scarcity of the cap situation at all (definitely wouldn't have allowed us to sign Mista), but the key is depth.

Using Serioux as an example, there's no way I would want him to start over Cann or Attakora. But when Attakora got that red earlier this year, I would've been relieved to hear that Serioux was the replacement instead of Garcia / Harden.

MrHawk
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
I personally believe, Preki was sacked too soon. As stated previously, he did more in 5 months than Carver/Cummins/Johnston did in 3 years.

Last year at this time

1) Out of CCL (By a USL team)
2) Fighting for a playoff spot (Only to be ousted by the last place team)
3) Needed a bloody miracle to win a 3 team Canadian tourney (2 teams in USL)

This Year

1) In CCL Group Stage (Beating a top Honduran club, including an away win)
2) Winning the NCC with 1 game to spare
3) Beat arguably the best club in Northern/Central America at home
4) Essentially out of the playoffs

Either way, the club needs to move forward. What's done is done, all I just have to say is "Be careful what you wish for". While we may get a far superior GM/Director of Soccer, we may get the equivalent of a Zdravko Mamic.

AL-MO
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
For what is worth I believe JDG blabs out the truth... remember when he was surprised the supporters didn't attack the team bus after that horrible loss in NE... and he said it to a reporter! lor was it another loss? anyhow it was a bad road loss lol

No it was the NE away trip we were all on.

MrHawk
09-14-2010, 09:32 PM
So what did JDG say last year during that God awful smacking by the worst team in the league?

ochos
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Is there a "I approved of the job thus far but it's the right time to go" option?

DichioTFC
09-14-2010, 10:18 PM
^ The option would be "Yes" according to me

CoachGT
09-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Preki may be an absolutely top notch conditioning coach but we need a manager who can deal with the tactical sitautions of the game. Someone who understands that you give your most talented players a little more leeway than others might get (there are not enough DeRos in the world but there are plenty of Petersons, and a DeRo working at 50% will more often than not outplay a Peterson at 100%).

Try as you might, a defensive style of play appears to be death in MLS. Only the absolute pinnacle of soccer leagues can boast the talent levels needed to play a truly defensive game - EPL, Serie A, and not many other places. Coca cola championship can't play it - they don't have the caliber of players.

In MLS, one defensive mistake will often end up in the back of your net when all of your opponents play an opportunistic, attacking style of football. And MLS defenders make at least one mistake per game. I just cannot fathom how anyone can make this style of play successful in MLS. I'm not saying you can't play defense, just that it cannot be the basis for your entire game - you still have to move forward.

Our best games this season were games where the attacking was free flowing. Motagua, Cruz Azul. There was some brilliant, wonderful football. We were still aware defensively but played to attack.

I wish Preki the best of luck, but think he may be better suited to a different role in a club, at least if that club is in MLS.

maninb
09-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I was onboard until the NYRB clobbering....glad to see him go....

maninb
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
"Preki may be an absolutely top notch conditioning coach but we need a manager who can deal with the tactical sitautions of the game"

EXACTLY!!! When I heard the quote from DeRo that 60% of practise time was still being spent on CONDITIONING I freaked!!! You get in shape in PRE-SEASON, and then concentrate on team play and tactics!!!

J .
09-15-2010, 10:24 AM

I am fine with all of those guys being gone and I wont miss Mista. They didnt produce in the time they were here. We have won more without them in the CCL, beating Cruz Azul, etc

P-NUTZ
09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
considering the rubbish served the first three years, i approve what preki did while here - and i am also considering his shortcomings.

Defensive football can work, but we had a shitty bench and couldn't afford one injury.

But these bloody players deserve some real credit for the failings as well and they better show up tonight or they too can get stuffed.

Pachuco
09-15-2010, 11:11 AM
considering the rubbish served the first three years, i approve what preki did while here - and i am also considering his shortcomings.

Defensive football can work, but we had a shitty bench and couldn't afford one injury.

But these bloody players deserve some real credit for the failings as well and they better show up tonight or they too can get stuffed.

This is a very good point. Someone said in another thread that the rumour was TFC players clapped in the change room when they got he news that Mo and Preki are gone.

Fuck me are you kidding me? Hscanovic, Usanov, Garcia, Peterson and the list goes on. These guys are clapping cause their career just ended? that's funny shit. If the GM is gone it's because he's getting blamed for bringing in players like yourself. They should all be scared shittless right now, specially those that wouldn't have a career if it wasn't because of Preki's love for plumbers.

jloome
09-15-2010, 11:21 AM
That motivation comment bugs me. It's probably true but this is what DeGuzman had to say about Preki in February:

Midfielder Julian de Guzman, who played just five games in 2009 after signing as TFC's first designated player in September, said he felt there was too much complacency last season, a lack of real anger at losing. With Preki's "winning mentality," he said, that will have to change in 2010.

Then on April 10th, he misses the team curfew by a long shot and is pulled from the game in New England. The supposed "Star" player with the wallet to match demonstrating his leadership and commitment to his own "winning mentality."

Then on May 3rd, Paul James writes this comment in his post game report of a loss to Real Salt Lake.

"The problems began for the team when the coach announced his starting line-up which did not include the star duo of Dwayne DeRosario and Julian DeGuzman. Maybe there was something more to this than meets the eye but if not, then one has to conclude it was the coach trying to be a little too clever."

Later on May 23rd, James writes:

"... Toronto FC continues to impress. Of course, they are still aesthetically difficult to please at times, but being in the business of winning, Preki’s approach thus far has been spot on. Good mentality, terrific work ethic, good team spirit, a balanced team and well organized. It has allowed this current TFC team to maximize their potential."

Preki tried to build this team with the idea that everyone was equal regardless of paycheck. No one was bigger than the team. I would wager that the May 3rd "event" involving DeRo and JDG was a continuation of his approach which appeared to be working as of May 23rd.

I'm happy with the departure of Mo and I believe Preki had to go if only for the sake of the short term and the optics that a decision will make. We probably stand a better chance at the playoffs now this year than we did with him there because of all of this.

But honestly guys, over the long term this has the Maple Leafs Country Club feeling written all over it. Remember that this core group of players had Cummins at the helm and managed to blow last season too.

I feel Mo was likely working the locker room politics, undermining Preki by giving power (real or perceived) to players that he felt should be playing more or in different roles. That was what Cummins alleged in his interview.

That's fine.

The players have no more free pass, IMO. If JDG can't turn his pathetic MLS career around, he should be next to go.

Preki was tactically shit. End of story.

You met him once and you liked him; great. We have the worst offense in the league. The constant complaint after every game is that there doesn't seem to be any cohesive movement, on or off the ball.

Then the DP, a guy who spent years at the top level, says there's no system, exactly what 20,000 viewers per week keep saying.

I'm all for team discipline too. But not at the expense of actually playing football.

Good riddance to him.

Blizzard
09-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Preki being a buddy of MoJo's might have handcuffed us after firing Mo. Although he wasn't a bad coach, due to politics it was probably best to send him on his way.

Who ever said they were buddies? They were former colleagues at KC but just because you worked with someone, it doesn't mean your pals.

To many people are assuming they were close. I don't think they were.

jloome
09-15-2010, 11:23 AM
This is a very good point. Someone said in another thread that the rumour was TFC players clapped in the change room when they got he news that Mo and Preki are gone.

Fuck me are you kidding me? Hscanovic, Usanov, Garcia, Peterson and the list goes on. These guys are clapping cause their career just ended? that's funny shit. If the GM is gone it's because he's getting blamed for bringing in players like yourself. They should all be scared shittless right now, specially those that wouldn't have a career if it wasn't because of Preki's love for plumbers.

I'd agree, to a point. But I think people here give players too much credit. If a guy makes you play a positionally rigid system, with the foolish belief that at this level a team can always advance or defend as a unit, then his players will be very hamstrung.

The reason we were so much more defensively solid for the first half is that we almost never got forward! When we did, it was because of Dero creating away from the rest of the tactical movement.

Blizzard
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
I'd agree, to a point. But I think people here give players too much credit. If a guy makes you play a positionally rigid system, with the foolish belief that at this level a team can always advance or defend as a unit, then his players will be very hamstrung.

The reason we were so much more defensively solid for the first half is that we almost never got forward! When we did, it was because of Dero creating away from the rest of the tactical movement.

What it illustrates as much as anything is that the players were miserable under Preki, not just because of tactics though, but because of the disrespect he had for players as people.

Disrespect breeds disrespect.

Roogsy
09-15-2010, 12:05 PM

You met him once and you liked him; great. We have the worst offense in the league. The constant complaint after every game is that there doesn't seem to be any cohesive movement, on or off the ball.

Then the DP, a guy who spent years at the top level, says there's no system, exactly what 20,000 viewers per week keep saying.

I'm all for team discipline too. But not at the expense of actually playing football.

Good riddance to him.

Bang effin' on...

P-NUTZ
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
i sarcastically feel sorry for our players who were not tactically prepared to beat the worst team in the MLS at home.

I will not underestimate the importance of sound tactics - even for MLS level competition. I only hope Daso is a better technician if that's the main reason they now cite for their failures in performance.

I cant wait to see how the players respond - because now the ball's truly in thier hands (feet).

DichioTFC
09-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I am fine with all of those guys being gone and I wont miss Mista. They didnt produce in the time they were here. We have won more without them in the CCL, beating Cruz Azul, etc

Guevara, Robbo and Cronin didn't produce? They weren't elite players, but they were solid players day in and day out.

Stumbling past two weak USSL teams and beating an unfit Cruz Azul at home are accomplishments, but should be taken with a grain of salt.

J .
09-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Guevara, Robbo and Cronin didn't produce? They weren't elite players, but they were solid players day in and day out.

Stumbling past two weak USSL teams and beating an unfit Cruz Azul at home are accomplishments, but should be taken with a grain of salt.

Nope, never when it counted. They never produced.

__wowza
09-16-2010, 08:38 AM
well, looking back at our elation from our winning streak (including tying LA away), one things certainly clear. we didn't hate the man, or complain about his "defensive football" or "tactics" when we were winning.

Wull
09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
well, looking back at our elation from our winning streak (including tying LA away), one things certainly clear. we didn't hate the man, or complain about his "defensive football" or "tactics" when we were winning.

speak for yourself, never liked him, only once voted approve in the monthly polls and I couldn't not after the Cruz Azul game. Showed his true colours with his "Canadians" comment.

Pachuco
09-16-2010, 08:55 AM

No idea where you've been. Yes we did complain about his football, atleast some of us did.

__wowza
09-16-2010, 09:29 AM
No idea where you've been. Yes we did complain about his football, atleast some of us did.

i use "we" subjectively. i remembering reading about how you were (correctly, might i add) under the assumption that this time might fall apart at any minute, but i also remember posts such as:

Although I haven't agreed entirely with all of his roster decisions, Preki has done a masterful job during a difficult schedule with limited assets in molding this group into what is arguably the hardest working club in the MLS. Preki has earned my trust and definitely has my approval...

You can't argue with results. Preki is on a roll, and the votes reflect our trust in him.

gtaguy
09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
I personally believe, Preki was sacked too soon. As stated previously, he did more in 5 months than Carver/Cummins/Johnston did in 3 years.

Agree but with the Iron fist he was ruling it was in the cards that dissent was going to happen..
This isn't the old iron curtain were dealing with and as we all know that in todays football landscape you have to walk a fine line between coach and friend. I do sincerely believe Preki over did it. A 6 game winless streak in the middle of a playoff run did not do justice to preki.
The players lost confidence in the coach and the coach had no idea of what to do to right the ship. :facepalm:

v00d00daddy
09-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Good riddance to him.

Was there no system or was there a system that JDG didn't like to play?

I'm not gonna pretend that Preki was a tactical marvel but do you honestly think that there was no system or gameplan in place out there?

Whether it was executed properly or not is a different story. There were games (few of them) where we played with the ball at our feet and controlled the middle of the field. We cashed in when we had our chances and as such, usually got results.

Then there were games where we hoofed the ball all over the field in lame attempts to string something together....and poor outcomes resulted.

So the question is. Who was doing what during these different times?

Preki is the guy who managed to fuck up the Unido Aribe game with his shitty choices....but he's also the guy who put the team together that beat Cruz Azul.

So...which was the real Preki?

I'd like to think that Preki was fired because he was tactically shit...but I don't think that's the case at all. I think Preki was fired because the players didn't like him, respect him, or listen to him.....and he had an enemy built in to his ranks from day one. An enemy who had many allies within the club at every level.

So it should surprise nobody that Dasovic is at the helm.

Preki's tactics had very little to do with his firing. imo

Pookie
09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
^ the Coach probably had ideas of what to do. But if Management didn't support removing the issue(s) then he's up the creek.

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Preki is going to make Chicago Fire unstoppable. He knows what he's doing and now he'll have the right players to do it.

Firing Preki had nothing to do with his performance in this league, it had to do with Mo Johnston choosing him and De Rosario/de Guzman turning on him. For that, I'm glad Mo is gone and wish Preki was still here while De Rosario and de Guzman can hit the road.

Call me a fool, but honestly, De Rosario and de Guzman are turning out to be the worst players for this squad. Robbo and Cronin are now gone and I'm starting to think they were the real leaders of this team. Now that De Rosario is the head honcho, and is not performing like he used to, people are slowly seeing that he's not all that. You listen to your boss, end of. You don't get to pick the manager. Dasovic is just going to be De Rosario's little puppet.

nfitz
09-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Firing Preki had nothing to do with his performance in this league, it had to do with Mo Johnston choosing him and De Rosario/de Guzman turning on him.If your going to dismiss is poor performance and demotivation of the players, then surely the next page to turn to is that MLSE wasn't too keen on the boring style of play that Preki produces.

If MLSE wants to sell tickets and pack the house, they going to need a team that is exciting to watch, rather than something that will keep 5,000 soccer geeks happy, and will grind out 0-0 draws and produce mediocre teams in the middle of the pack.

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Beggers can't be choosers. Either we win games and play ugly or lose games and play nice. The current squad can't do both. We don't have enough creativity to play that style. Preki had his own system, and we're judging the painting when it's still a sketch.

He wanted to establish a solid defense first, make the boys familiar with each other, then work on scoring goals and playing well after. You can't play beautiful football if you don't know how to work hard and defend when the situation calls for it. Yes, we can easily play a score first defend second game like we did in year 3, but then we have last minute goals against us. Remember those? Yeah, those don't happen as much if at all under Preki. Last minute goals plagued our side which played some decent football. That's because we couldn't buckle down and defend, something Preki brought in.

Given another year, I'm sure Preki would have found that perfect balance between hard working D and a good strike force. Unfortunately, MLSE and the Canadian duo couldn't see that...

Roogsy
09-18-2010, 11:22 AM
^ the Coach probably had ideas of what to do. But if Management didn't support removing the issue(s) then he's up the creek.

This is such a misrepresentation of the facts that it's hard to believe it's becoming the belief around here.

Preki turned around 80% of this team. He turned around a large portion of the coaching staff. Yes, on neither he was allowed to make 100% wholesale changes, he knew that coming in and still represented himself as someone who could make the team better. He didn't. He left the team different but not better.

Hand Backe didn't make half the changes that Preki did and look what he has done in NY. Preki took a team that was a single point away from a playoff spot and made a team that was 5 points out of a playoff spot and your excuse is that it's because he got "stuck" with DeRo and JDG.
:facepalm:

Roogsy
09-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Given another year, I'm sure Preki would have found that perfect balance between hard working D and a good strike force. Unfortunately, MLSE and the Canadian duo couldn't see that...

Because Preki has a good track record of making his teams better each passing year as opposed to worse.

Yes...this is true...in Bizarro world.

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Roogs, are you pro-firing Preki or against?

EDIT: I didn't know that with time and more signings and a clearer picture of what is needed and availability of newer players and another draft and 2 more teams coming in allowing further trades and more team chemistry and a strong bond and better knowledge of those around you made your team worse?

Always thought it made it better but hey, what do I know right?

Savage
09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I agree with Preki firing, however, he did improve the team defensively. The truth will come out regarding what happened behind the scene. I believe that from the very begining of the season he did not see JDG as a designated player and of course same goes for Mista. There is no question that once DeRosario stopped scoring goals, for whatever reson, that was the end of any chance of TFC winning and the end of Mo and Preki.

Roogsy
09-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Jimmy, let me give you a little life lesson here you can use when you start looking for work in your respective career.

Track record is everything. In most industries your history is indicative of future performance. Very rarely will you get someone who looks what you have done in the past and says "forget it, this doesn't truly show what you can do your results are going to be significatly different from now on". In fact, what normally happens is that they base their future expectations of you based on what you have done.

I will readily admit that Preki did not have enough time here for his time in Toronto to be an effective measure of what he can do. That is not the case with LA. LA is Preki's gauge of performance. What did he do in LA?

He inherited a team that Bradley had build and coached over several years. In his first year, he had tremendous success. But he did not make wholesale changes and the players were still playing a style that Bradley had instilled. What happened in each subsequent year? Less scoring. More player movement. More player frustration and conflict.

So what there exactly points to Preki's ability to create team chemistry and an ability to score a great deal more? Because TFC is going to continue to be shit unless it scores probably 50% more goals than they did this year. 50%!!! That is the legacy Preki left us, an inability to score. The problems with his system made all the more obvious by having one of the best scorers in MLS history on our team and what do we fans look at? DeRo's age, apparently the only relevant fact according to you.

ManUtd4ever
09-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Preki is going to make Chicago Fire unstoppable. He knows what he's doing and now he'll have the right players to do it.

Firing Preki had nothing to do with his performance in this league, it had to do with Mo Johnston choosing him and De Rosario/de Guzman turning on him. For that, I'm glad Mo is gone and wish Preki was still here while De Rosario and de Guzman can hit the road.

Call me a fool, but honestly, De Rosario and de Guzman are turning out to be the worst players for this squad. Robbo and Cronin are now gone and I'm starting to think they were the real leaders of this team. Now that De Rosario is the head honcho, and is not performing like he used to, people are slowly seeing that he's not all that. You listen to your boss, end of. You don't get to pick the manager. Dasovic is just going to be De Rosario's little puppet.

No offense kid, you're entitled to your opinion but your post is based on tabloid like speculation.

Preki will make the Fire unstoppable? LOL, time will tell.

DeRo and JDG are turning out to be the worst players on the squad? Have you watched this team on the few occasions that both DeRo and JDG were out of the lineup? Did you ever consider that it was actually their inferior supporting cast and tactical approach (or lack thereof) that derailed this season?

Other than Stefan Frei, I consider DeRo and JDG the best players on TFC. In fact, they are among the few true core players left on this team that the next GM can build around...

ArmenJBX
09-18-2010, 11:46 AM
No offense kid, you're entitled to your opinion but your post is based on tabloid like speculation.

Preki will make the Fire unstoppable? LOL, time will tell.

DeRo and JDG are turning out to be the worst players on the squad? Have you watched this team on the few occasions that both DeRo and JDG were out of the lineup? Did you ever consider that it was actually their inferior supporting cast and tactical approach (or lack thereof) that derailed this season?

Other than Stefan Frei, I consider DeRo and JDG the best players on TFC. In fact, they are among the few true core players left on this team that the next GM can build around...

I use logic. What does Chicago lack? A strong defense. What will Preki bring? A strong defense. I hope I'm wrong and Chicago is horrible next year because as a conference rival we need them to suck! :D

Yes, De Rosario and JDG are important for this squad, and yes they will need to be built around. I'm not saying throw them out because they're not good players. Far from it, without De Rosario we wouldn't be where we are now. However, IF what is being said about them is true, it needs to stop. We can't have the players running this club. Dasovic being appointed and being friends with the two makes me less comfortable then with Preki in charge.

J .
09-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Yup, definately not the players fault... Anyone but them.

Last season we couldnt keep the ball out of our net, we needed to learn to play team defence....

But lets have it so the opposing teams can run in waves at our backline, meet the new problem, same as the old problem.

Preki never promised playoffs, he always maintained it was a goal, but not a guarantee.

Look at what has happened to Chivas since Preki left.... Thats a pretty good indication of track record.

What he and amazing coach? No. But he did oversee us getting into the CCL Group stages and relatively easy V Cup.

He has brought us more glory this year, if you could use the term glory, than any other manager in our sad short history.

Do our best players need to be held accountable? Yes.

Funny, DeRo got a pass last season from many quarters and is getting it again...

Oranges at halftime boys.

Brooker
09-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll take 2

ManUtd4ever
09-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Yup, definately not the players fault... Anyone but them.

Last season we couldnt keep the ball out of our net, we needed to learn to play team defence....

But lets have it so the opposing teams can run in waves at our backline, meet the new problem, same as the old problem.

Preki never promised playoffs, he always maintained it was a goal, but not a guarantee.

Look at what has happened to Chivas since Preki left.... Thats a pretty good indication of track record.

What he and amazing coach? No. But he did oversee us getting into the CCL Group stages and relatively easy V Cup.

He has brought us more glory this year, if you could use the term glory, than any other manager in our sad short history.

Do our best players need to be held accountable? Yes.

Funny, DeRo got a pass last season from many quarters and is getting it again...

Oranges at halftime boys.

You make some valid points regarding accountability. Of course the players are also responsible for the disappointing results this season. DeRo acknowledged as much in his post press conference interview.

For the record, I wasn't an advocate of firing Preki during the season but the simple fact of the matter is that the team had regressed under his tutelage. If Preki is to be lauded for our defensive improvement this season does it not stand to reason that he should also be held accountable for our pathetic offense and lack of creativity?

Once the decision was made to fire Mo MLSE had to provide the next GM a clean slate to work with in the off season...

Roogsy
09-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I use logic. What does Chicago lack? A strong defense. What will Preki bring? A strong defense. I hope I'm wrong and Chicago is horrible next year because as a conference rival we need them to suck! :D

Chicago will have a stronger defense at the sacrifice of their offence. Is that a better team or just a team that plays different? You tell me.

Oldtimer
09-24-2010, 07:00 AM

That is quite irrational support for a second-tier coach.

If he has the type of players that he likes (and bye-bye Freddy Ljungberg) and doesn't burn the roster down (which would make them much weaker for a season), he'll improve their defense and neuter their offense.

He's no Sir Alex or Pellegrini, he coaches a typical Eastern European style: defensive, ugly, dirty, and physical.

It might get the Fire into the playoffs. If you think it will make them MLS Cup contenders, you will be greatly surprised, I'm afraid.

CretanBull
09-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Jimmy, let me give you a little life lesson here you can use when you start looking for work in your respective career.

Track record is everything. In most industries your history is indicative of future performance. Very rarely will you get someone who looks what you have done in the past and says "forget it, this doesn't truly show what you can do your results are going to be significatly different from now on".

Unless of course you happen to be applying for a job with MLSE of course.

"Mo, it says here that you screwed up RBNY and they drove you out of town after only a few months?"

"Yeah, well, umm, I can explain..."

"Don't bother, you're hired!"

"Preki, you inherited a strong team built by the national team coach and slowly drove it into the ground..."

"Yes, well, you see..."

"I see everything, you're hired!"

Wull
09-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Hopefully he'll come looking for the likes of Saric, peterson, white, usanov and hscanovics to take with him. I'll pay for their fucking porter tickets!

Roogsy
09-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Hopefully he'll come looking for the likes of Saric, peterson, white, usanov and hscanovics to take with him. I'll pay for their fucking porter tickets!

x2...

Pachuco
09-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Who is this Preki we speak of? :)

v00d00daddy
10-03-2010, 07:23 AM
So....we look so much better, tactically speaking.

....and, the games are much more exciting.

Unfortunately we hemmorage goals now.

Daso's the man. Can't wait until he gets a whole season next year.

edit: sorry, should have put this at the end of the whole post
:rolleyes:

lol. failed sarcasm I guess

London
10-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Daso's the man??

did you not see the defence get torn apart time after time??/

that 3-2 score was flattering, could have easily been 8-2.

everyone has a giant boner for daso?

there are a dozen coaches in MLS id rather have then daso

menefreghista
10-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I doubt Dasovic will be the head coach next season.

But if anyone is missing Preki believing we were going to make the playoffs with him in charge you are living in a dreamworld.

This team was really out of the playoffs a month ago. Its only math that makes people believe there is/was a chance.

London
10-03-2010, 07:51 AM
^^^ this team was out of the playoffs when they played there last pre-season game with not even having a full squad assembled.

i said it then and nothing has changed, the only improvement i see is Santos

menefreghista
10-03-2010, 07:55 AM
^^^ this team was out of the playoffs when they played there last pre-season game with not even having a full squad assembled.

i said it then and nothing has changed, the only improvement i see is Santos

And I bet Santos doesn't return next season because he probably has some weird contract situation no one knows about.

Pachuco
10-03-2010, 07:41 PM
What the fuck are people even complaining about Daso for? are you kidding me? This is PREKI'S TEAM. No one elses. You can't possibly pin these games on Dasovich when he hans't had the chance to make a single move. If we bring in another coach who's experienced then great, but my god I can't believe people actually blame Dasovich for the lack of defense.

v00d00daddy
10-03-2010, 09:05 PM
What the fuck are people even complaining about Daso for? are you kidding me? This is PREKI'S TEAM. No one elses. You can't possibly pin these games on Dasovich when he hans't had the chance to make a single move. If we bring in another coach who's experienced then great, but my god I can't believe people actually blame Dasovich for the lack of defense.

When Preki was here we gave up less goals than we have in the last 6 games.

Now he's gone and we give up goals quite easily and it's still his fault?

Where's the logic in that?

Roogsy
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
When Preki was here we gave up less goals than we have in the last 6 games.

Now he's gone and we give up goals quite easily and it's still his fault?

Where's the logic in that?

Daso can't be expected to play 11 man behind the ball like Preki. It's easy to not give up goals when you're not trying to score any. The fact that Daso isn't playing Prekiball is exactly why we are scoring more but can't seem to defend. So much for all this wonderment about our fantastic backline. It would seem it only stands up when they have everyone else helping out.

Benficachop20
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM
our defence was always crap excluding Nana and Cann. Our fullbacks are garbage (that includes Gargan who has been a disaster show for about the last 2-3 months). We werent conceding goals because we had the whole dam team back there defending, and plus the fact frei was busy saving about 10 breakaways a game also helps. At least Daso got this team to attack and we are actually seeing some entertaining games for once. Only problem now we are being exposed how weak our defence has always been.

andyc
10-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Remember on Saturday we pushed Nana out to be fullback with Harden as CB... Preki never tried this - almost all of our games had Nana and Cann as CB...

Nana getting hurt on the turf didn't help...

torontocelt
10-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Daso can't be expected to play 11 man behind the ball like Preki. It's easy to not give up goals when you're not trying to score any. The fact that Daso isn't playing Prekiball is exactly why we are scoring more but can't seem to defend. So much for all this wonderment about our fantastic backline. It would seem it only stands up when they have everyone else helping out.

I think everyone realised that the reason we did not concede many goals under Preki was because of the way the team was set up to defend. I dont recall anyone at any point claiming we had a fantastic back line as it was obvious that it was the team defending and not just the four at the back. The reality of our 'fantastic' back line is that out of five players we have three decent ones, that being Frei, Cann and Attakora, the other positions are up for grabs and this is because the people filling them have not proven at all that they are good enough. A back line will always be as strong as its weak links and when 2 out of 5 positions are not guaranteed starters then there will always be problems.

Preki obviously realised that the back line could not dedend capably on their own and set about a formation which would at least stop the other team from scoring, it has to be said that he done his quite well. This is a tactic used at many other clubs throughout the world, Glasgow rangers used it against man u recently in the champions league and attained an away draw which drew praise from many quarters in the media. They even managed to get to the uefa cup final a few years ago based entirely on anti football. Anti football is part of football and has been part of football for a long time. It is not nice to watch but if done right it can breed success. The Italian teams used to employ anti football when they went one nil up and they were very highly regarded. Obviously the Italians differ some what in that they were known to have fantastic front players who could actually get a goal in the first place.

Daso will bring his own tactics to TFC, that much has already been seen. What is worth mentioning though is that so far he has not been any more successful in achieving wins as Preki so can this actually be considered an improvement? It is early doors for him but my guess is that he will he demoted soon enough anyway, he has not shown that he has been able turn the ship around although he has not had any time to do that anyway.

Oldtimer
10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Daso will bring his own tactics to TFC, that much has already been seen. What is worth mentioning though is that so far he has not been any more successful in achieving wins as Preki so can this actually be considered an improvement? It is early doors for him but my guess is that he will he demoted soon enough anyway, he has not shown that he has been able turn the ship around although he has not had any time to do that anyway.

Aside from the philosophical question of whether or not we should get a new coach, I would be very surprised if Daso got the job. I suspect TFC will instead hope that a new coach will keep him on and give him more training on tactics and squad-building. Long-term, he could be a choice for TFC.

v00d00daddy
10-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Aside from the philosophical question of whether or not we should get a new coach, I would be very surprised if Daso got the job. I suspect TFC will instead hope that a new coach will keep him on and give him more training on tactics and squad-building. Long-term, he could be a choice for TFC.

TFC making Daso the permanent head coach is bad case scenario imo.

Forcing the new coach to keep him on as an asst is the worst case scenario imo.

There is too much familiarity with him and the current squad. They're like buddies and I don't like that or think it can be effective.

We all said that TFC needed a hard ass coach. We got that but it did t go well. Fine, but the solution is NOT a guy who used to be a temmate of our two biggest names.

I hope this club cleans house I the off season and brings in a competent guy who will bring along his own staff. There is too much drama and toxicity in the senior club and it needs to be purged.

The start of year 5 should have zero fingerprints left from the preceding 4 brutal seasons.

ManUtd4ever
10-04-2010, 08:56 AM
TFC making Daso the permanent head coach is bad case scenario imo.

Forcing the new coach to keep him on as an asst is the worst case scenario imo.

There is too much familiarity with him and the current squad. They're like buddies and I don't like that or think it can be effective.

We all said that TFC needed a hard ass coach. We got that but it did t go well. Fine, but the solution is NOT a guy who used to be a temmate of our two biggest names.

I hope this club cleans house I the off season and brings in a competent guy who will bring along his own staff. There is too much drama and toxicity in the senior club and it needs to be purged.

The start of year 5 should have zero fingerprints left from the preceding 4 brutal seasons.

I agree, the new GM must have total autonomy. It's an unfortunate scenario for Daso as he was put in a no win situation...

Beach_Red
10-04-2010, 09:37 AM

It depends on how the organization is structured - or in this case, I guess, if the organization is structured. MLSE is still likely looking at a hockey style GM-coach relationship and sometimes the "players' coach" can be very good if paired with the right GM.

But that's a lot of "ifs."

DichioTFC
10-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Daso's the man??

did you not see the defence get torn apart time after time??/

that 3-2 score was flattering, could have easily been 8-2.

everyone has a giant boner for daso?

there are a dozen coaches in MLS id rather have then daso

But he's *soooo* respected by the players!!

/sarcasm

rocker
10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I want a complete coaching search. Daso hasn't shown me anything special so far. He's in a tough situation, that's for sure. But the final results are not any better than with Preki... just different. Rather than losing 1-0 on the road, we lose 3-2. And Daso knows these guys really well... he's been with with them a long time. Yet I've noticed Cann and Nana have turned into mere mortals under Daso, when under Preki they were solid as a rock.

I'm unwilling to let Daso learn on the job. NYRB was in the same situation last year. Richie Williams took over and some people suggested giving the job to him since he was a loyal soldier on staff for years.

Instead, ya gotta do a complete and total search. We need a guy who's proven himself somewhere.

Pachuco
10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I want a complete coaching search. Daso hasn't shown me anything special so far. He's in a tough situation, that's for sure. But the final results are not any better than with Preki... just different. Rather than losing 1-0 on the road, we lose 3-2. And Daso knows these guys really well... he's been with with them a long time. Yet I've noticed Cann and Nana have turned into mere mortals under Daso, when under Preki they were solid as a rock.

I'm unwilling to let Daso learn on the job. NYRB was in the same situation last year. Richie Williams took over and some people suggested giving the job to him since he was a loyal soldier on staff for years.

Instead, ya gotta do a complete and total search. We need a guy who's proven himself somewhere.

What in the world do you speak of?

1. This is STILL Preki's team. If he had a chance to revamp the entire roster the way Preki did then I could see your comparison.
2. Nana hasn't played as a CB since the day Preki left as far as I can remember. He was back for one game and he played at RB.

It's fine that you want a search for another coach, but your arguments for doing so are just untrue.

rocker
10-09-2010, 11:42 PM
What in the world do you speak of?

1. This is STILL Preki's team. If he had a chance to revamp the entire roster the way Preki did then I could see your comparison.
2. Nana hasn't played as a CB since the day Preki left as far as I can remember. He was back for one game and he played at RB.

It's fine that you want a search for another coach, but your arguments for doing so are just untrue.

None of your points have anything to with what I said.

I said I haven't seen anything special from Dasovic. Dasovic hasn't done any better with the roster he inherited. Actually, it's gotten worse. That isn't exactly a sign of a good coach. Heck, Roogsy always tells me that a good coach should be able to work with what he's got ;)

Do you think Dasovic gets a free pass because he can't change the roster? Richie Williams last year with NYRB got some good results after he took over as the interim -- actually some NYRB fans were calling for the team to make Williams the permanent coach. But NYRB did the right thing and did a wide search.

Offense has gotten better, defense has gotten worse.

Second, the fact that Nana hasn't played CB has nothing to do with my point (go back and read my post, I didn't comment on his position). I simply said Nana and Cann look like mere mortals under Dasovic. Agree or Disagree? They haven't played as well as under Preki. If you want to argue that's because Nana is playing RB, fine. But you didn't make that argument explicitly. You also failed to mention Cann.

Our defensive giants have looks like mortals under Dasovic.

I made no "untrue" arguments. Instead you haven't addressed my arguments at all.

I repeat -- Dasovic has shown nothing special and we should do a wide coaching search.

Pachuco
10-10-2010, 08:45 AM
None of your points have anything to with what I said.

I said I haven't seen anything special from Dasovic. Dasovic hasn't done any better with the roster he inherited. Actually, it's gotten worse. That isn't exactly a sign of a good coach. Heck, Roogsy always tells me that a good coach should be able to work with what he's got ;)

Do you think Dasovic gets a free pass because he can't change the roster? Richie Williams last year with NYRB got some good results after he took over as the interim -- actually some NYRB fans were calling for the team to make Williams the permanent coach. But NYRB did the right thing and did a wide search.

Offense has gotten better, defense has gotten worse.

Second, the fact that Nana hasn't played CB has nothing to do with my point (go back and read my post, I didn't comment on his position). I simply said Nana and Cann look like mere mortals under Dasovic. Agree or Disagree? They haven't played as well as under Preki. If you want to argue that's because Nana is playing RB, fine. But you didn't make that argument explicitly. You also failed to mention Cann.

Our defensive giants have looks like mortals under Dasovic.

I made no "untrue" arguments. Instead you haven't addressed my arguments at all.

I repeat -- Dasovic has shown nothing special and we should do a wide coaching search.

You are using 1 game where Nana played RB as proof that he played better under Preki. Need I say more?

What are you talking about it has nothing to do with your point? You are taking 1 game as a sample and a bad sample at that since he wasn't even playing the position he has played under Preki and comparing that one game to an entire season under Preki. Your comparison is simply not valid. What do you think? you think Nana played like shit that game because there is a new coach telling him what to do? You seriously think that 1 game is going to prove anything? As for Cann, well that's what happens when 1 of 2 key central figures is gone and you are given Harden to play with. How did John Terry do in the world cup when he was partnered with absolute crap? he wasn't himself either.

As for Daso, I disagree with you saying the team has gotten worse. Pretty much the same old shit to me, because it's THE SAME TEAM. It's not that this team is good on paper and all it needs is a coach. Everyone knows this team needs to be trashed for the most part. Shit the interim GM said so himself. So judging Daso based on this roster is silly. I'm all for looking for a new coach, but it's seriously unfair to judge him 5 games in and without a chance to make a change to the roster.

denime
10-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Team did not got worse since Daso took over,because it is the same team,true.

Only difference with full roster we got 16 goals against us in last 7 games,with Prekiball last 15 games we got 16 goals in only one game actually being ripped NYRB(1-4),and in half of those games we missed at least 2,3 players from our roster two of them being Barret and Maicon.

Like I said before whoever in FO thought firing Preki would solve the problems and get us to playoffs should get fired too.
Giving Daso 6 games to make playoffs wasn't fair,but he was the one who initiate the whole firing process and now he should be held responsible for the results,clearly he thought he can do better by giving the players their freedom.

Well,that freedom brought us even more down,DeRo would never made "I deserve more" move under Preki,he would be focused on team and games, but with all the love for the new coach and freedom they got from him all our boys managed to do is play like a crap and don't give a rat ass about each other.

Preki should stayed until the end of season and that get a boot if he doesn't make the playoffs,that would give a chance for Daso to build the team the way he likes.

At the and of the day the whole firing was ML$E PR move in order to sell more ST,and we have to suffer for another 2 years at least.

We wont be close to the playoffs next year,no matter who gets hired as coach or GM,with Vancouver and Portland joining the league we might make playoffs in 2012 at the best.

If we have to start from scratch for the 5th time in five years,than we should do it properly and start cleaning the change room from top to bottom.Get rid of older players who still might get us some fresh blood and than younger once that have zero talent and all they can do is run around.

Blizzard
10-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Like I said before whoever in FO thought firing Preki would solve the problems and get us to playoffs should get fired too.
Giving Daso 6 games to make playoffs wasn't fair,but he was the one who initiate the whole firing process and now he should be held responsible for the results,clearly he thought he can do better by giving the players their freedom.

Well,that freedom brought us even more down,DeRo would never made "I deserve more" move under Preki,he would be focused on team and games, but with all the love for the new coach and freedom they got from him all our boys managed to do is play like a crap and don't give a rat ass about each other.

What? Dasovic initiated the firing process? How the hell did he do that? What kind of power does an assistant coach have in your mind? Just how did Dasovic get Preki fired? I find that to be a ridiculous assertion.

v00d00daddy
10-10-2010, 02:50 PM
What? Dasovic initiated the firing process? How the hell did he do that? What kind of power does an assistant coach have in your mind? Just how did Dasovic get Preki fired? I find that to be a ridiculous assertion.

Dasovic didn't get Preki fired..literally. Jesus.

Preki was fired for a combination of reasons

1. His record was not as good as people had hoped. ie. we were not playoff bound when we hoped to be.

2. He was a hard ass

3. The influential players on this team lost respect for him and stopped listening to him (if they ever did in the first place)

4. There was a built in replacement for him in Dasovic. A guy who has friends within the team and organization.

5. Mindless supporters wanted him gone. (I really hope this wasn't a factor) The only thing worse than the club listening to the players when it comes to coach selection is the club listening to the supporters.

Dasovic absolutely had an influence on Preki being fired. Not directly by saying that he should be gone, but rather by being a "best bud" to the shit disturbers on the team.

As for this thread topic....

It's becoming pretty clear to me that Preki was getting the best he could out of this fucking bunch. Especially once they stopped listening to him.

On paper we're not worse...how could we be? It's the same players.

On the field...when they actually play...we're MUCH worse.

Good thing Preki's gone. Looks like the ship has been righted. :rolleyes:

Fucking idiotic.

ps....this thread needs to be reopened so that all the people who were happy to give Daso a chance can voice their opinions.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=24623

I hope we all love losing by 2 and 3 goals.

Oldtimer
10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
ps....this thread needs to be reopened so that all the people who were happy to give Daso a chance can voice their opinions.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=24623

I hope we all love losing by 2 and 3 goals.

Good idea. Now that Daso has several games under his belt, we can give informed opinions.

Pachuco
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Team did not got worse since Daso took over,because it is the same team,true.

Only difference with full roster we got 16 goals against us in last 7 games,with Prekiball last 15 games we got 16 goals in only one game actually being ripped NYRB(1-4),and in half of those games we missed at least 2,3 players from our roster two of them being Barret and Maicon.

Preki should stayed until the end of season and that get a boot if he doesn't make the playoffs,that would give a chance for Daso to build the team the way he likes.

At the and of the day the whole firing was ML$E PR move in order to sell more ST,and we have to suffer for another 2 years at least.

We wont be close to the playoffs next year,no matter who gets hired as coach or GM,with Vancouver and Portland joining the league we might make playoffs in 2012 at the best.

If we have to start from scratch for the 5th time in five years,than we should do it properly and start cleaning the change room from top to bottom.Get rid of older players who still might get us some fresh blood and than younger once that have zero talent and all they can do is run around.

I would seriously hope that the decision to fire Preki with 6 games left in the league was a longer term decision. Not a decision to get us into the playoffs. It was a decision that reeked of giving up on the season in order to get a head start at implementing a new philosophy for next season. I think people are dreaming if you seriuosly thought all this team needed to be competitive is a change in management. MLSE never sold it that way, so I'm not sure why you assumged that was the case.

Change in management, change in philosophy means a longer term approach with a change in roster as well.

Oldtimer
10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Anselmi confirms why he fired Preki:

While Anselmi was reluctant to spend much time reviewing 2010 publicly, he did say the “disconnected situation” between the two men meant the plan for 2010 to make “a couple of tweaks that would put us over the finish line” and into the playoffs was abandoned for wholesale roster moves.
“The bottom line is you make a plan but then you ignore it and rip the guts of the team apart and change 15 people, all bets are off,” Anselmi said of the massive player overhaul undertaken by Preki and Johnston.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/874347--tfc-moves-to-quell-supporters-revolt

Like I said :D -- it was the wholesale roster moves that made Anselmi lose confidence in Preki.

menefreghista
10-12-2010, 09:48 PM

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/874347--tfc-moves-to-quell-supporters-revolt

Like I said :D -- it was the wholesale roster moves that made Anselmi lose confidence in Preki.

The thing that pisses me off is that Anselmi is not accountable for keeping Mo Johnston on one more season.

Roogsy
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM

Nope...sorry...I don't believe it for a second. It was DeRo not scoring that caused Anselmi to fire Preki.

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 06:47 AM

So, Preki was told he had to keep the entire coaching staff and all the players? (and they say they don't meddle)

Will the next manager get same deal?

Shakes McQueen
10-13-2010, 06:52 AM
So, Preki was told he had to keep the entire coaching staff and all the players? (and they say they don't meddle)

Will the next manager get same deal?

That's a weird way of reading that paragraph. He seems to imply that the PLAN, as he understood it from Mo, was to tweak the lineup from last year, and that Mo/Preki then blew the roster up and made major changes. Then Anselmi fired them, when those changes proved ineffective at best. Seems reasonable to me.

- Scott

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Maybe. But we're only getting one side. And it's also saying that the GM and coach were not allowed to change the plan as the season progressed. I can't imagine that Burke and Wilson would have to check with anyone if they get to training camp and discover things aren't really the way they thought they were.

Shakes McQueen
10-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Maybe. But we're only getting one side. And it's also saying that the GM and coach were not allowed to change the plan as the season progressed. I can't imagine that Burke and Wilson would have to check with anyone if they get to training camp and discover things aren't really the way they thought they were.

It doesn't say that they weren't allowed to change the plan - it says that they were held accountable by ownership for the success or failure of their plan. Which is reasonable.

Mo and Preki (to whatever extent he was involved) carried out their plan, and it failed miserably. Ownership held them accountable for this, and fired them both.

It doesn't say anything about having to check with anyone, or get permission to do anything, because clearly they ended up doing what they did. It says that Anselmi's understanding was that they were going to go one way, and that instead they went another radical direction.

If that radical direction had succeeded, then I highly doubt both men would be out of a job right now. But it didn't.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
10-13-2010, 07:12 AM
The irony. Tom says Mo and Prek were too fast to blow it up when they give only a year to Preki. I think Preki could get us to the playoffs as he's proven to do before. I don't think Mo can get along with anyone as he's proven with his tenure here.

Shakes McQueen
10-13-2010, 07:13 AM
The irony. Tom says Mo and Prek were too fast to blow it up when they give only a year to Preki. I think Preki could get us to the playoffs as he's proven to do before. I don't think Mo can get along with anyone as he's proven with his tenure here.

I still agree with this.

- Scott

Beach_Red
10-13-2010, 08:19 AM

Right, so almost four years later they admit it wasn't a great idea to hire a guy with pretty much zero experience and leave him, "Out there on his own."

I'm sure they wouldn't run their new restaurant like this, leave some waiter with no management experience in charge by himself for years.

Wull
10-13-2010, 09:41 AM
5. Mindless supporters wanted him gone. (I really hope this wasn't a factor) The only thing worse than the club listening to the players when it comes to coach selection is the club listening to the supporters.

What exactly makes us mindless for not liking the guy for the way he sends a team out to play, comes across in the media and treats people?