PDA

View Full Version : MLS moves to 34-game schedule in 2011 - no break for Gold Cup or other internationals

nfitz
09-14-2010, 12:09 PM
MLS moves to 34-game schedule in 2011 (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-moves-34-game-schedule-2011)

With two new expansion clubs joining the fray in 2011, Major League Soccer will expand its regular season schedule to 34 games from the current 30-game season.

The 2011 campaign will kick off on Saturday, March 19, 2011, and the 34 matches will be played in the span of 32 weeks with the regular season coming to a close on October 22.

The league also announced that it will not break for the CONCACAF Gold Cup or any other international competitions next year. In 2010 there was a two-week hiatus in MLS league play during the World Cup group stage.
The 2011 postseason format, the date for MLS Cup 2011 and the format for the 2011 regular-season sechedule will be announced by MLS at a later date.

TFCRegina
09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
On the plus side, next year the Whitecaps will be losing players to Gold Cup duties, and not just us. It should actually lead to fewer TFC players getting called up.

MKR
09-14-2010, 12:14 PM
i fail to see a plus side.

rocker
09-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm glad they are keeping the balanced schedule for at least one more year.

I want to know what this means for season's tickets. I hope they remove the friendlies and replace them with these league games (wasn't 1 friendly "worth" the value of two matches anyways?).

SilverSamurai
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
On the plus side, next year the Whitecaps will be losing players to Gold Cup duties, and not just us. It should actually lead to fewer TFC players getting called up.
Who?!
None of their current squad plays for the CMNT...

Carts
09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
EPIC FAIL...

MLS must break for FIFA dates to grow...

This could be one of the league's / Garber's worst decisions...

Carts...

Carts
09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
i fail to see a plus side.

MLSE sees one...

Two extra home games on our season ticket package...

So even before they raise the price, I gotta fork up an extra $200 - so my seats are over the $2000 mark...

Add in MLS Cup and price hike, and it'll be close to $2500...

Jesus!

Carts...

rocker
EPIC FAIL...

MLS must break for FIFA dates to grow...

This could be one of the league's / Garber's worst decisions...

Carts...

they may still break for FIFA dates... just not CONCACAF or international competitions. You can't stop MLS for 2-3 weeks because of full competitions. FIFA dates? sure.

Carts
they may still break for FIFA dates... just not CONCACAF or international competitions. You can't stop MLS for a week or 2 because of full competitions. FIFA dates? sure.

If they break for FIFA - I'll be happy...

But I'm guessing they would have announced this now...

I hope I am wrong in my thoughts...

THEY MUST BREAK FOR FIFA DATES!

Carts...

AL-MO
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Dave67
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I was already concerned I would not be able to afford my seats next year. Now they are adding 2 games? My ticket rep tells me prices are not going up but things are a bit confusing at the moment with possible options to opt in and out of friendlies and the Canadian Championship etc...

Apparently our renewals will be up sometime Friday - Monday so everything $ wise should be clear.

DavydMT
09-14-2010, 12:56 PM
agreed with Carts and AL-MO, break for international dates is a MUST

werewolf
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
uEOLQQgz7P8

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
FF to next season: 1 ticket available for every TFC game played on a Canada home game or Gold cup match that's drivable...

Hey MLS:seeya::auto:

FUCK YOU!:)

SilverSamurai
09-14-2010, 01:22 PM
they may still break for FIFA dates... just not CONCACAF or international competitions. You can't stop MLS for 2-3 weeks because of full competitions. FIFA dates? sure.
GC is a FIFA sanctioned tourney so clubs have to let players go, the same as they would on FIFA dates. Makes it even worst since the GC is the regional tourney that MLS is part of... :facepalm:

I don't see the problem. Why not just double up on games for 2-3 weeks, take a 2 week for the GC.
Then for the FIFA dates, play games on Wed instead of say a weekend. Players are let go on Thursday to join their clubs for the weekend.

rocker
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
GC is a FIFA sanctioned tourney so clubs have to let players go, the same as they would on FIFA dates. Makes it even worst since the GC is the regional tourney that MLS is part of... :facepalm:

I don't see the problem. Why not just double up on games for 2-3 weeks, take a 2 week for the GC.

Gold Cup is 21 days... 3 weeks... I just don't see how we can shut down a whole league for 3 weeks at a time of year when the conditions are the best for soccer. I'm sympathetic. But even shutting down for 2 weeks is not the same as not playing on every national team date.

It would have been easier with 16 teams and 30 league games. Now we've got 18 teams and 34 league games. I proposed ditching most friendlies as a solution. That would make things easier. But stopping for 3 weeks would just screw up everything.

Not to mention dealing with weeknight schedules if a team makes Champions League. you gotta leave weeknights open for those games, since Mexican teams (and others) need their weekends for their league games.

guelphguy1965
09-14-2010, 01:38 PM
More games means more money for season tickets? Frakk I thought it was bad enough that we are going to pay 8% HST on tickets next year that we didn't have to pay before. Maybe I am wrong about HST being included for sporting events. Can someone prove me wrong about HST please? I could use 'some' good news :-(

TFCRegina
09-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Who?!
None of their current squad plays for the CMNT...

Terry Dunfield hasn't featured in the CMNT?

They'll be bringing up Canadians and signing out of contract ones to their squad. They will lose players to the tournament. Mark my words.

Oldtimer
09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Hopefully TFC cuts out the friendly.

Carts
09-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Hopefully TFC cuts out the friendly.

Since I don't see them losing the friendly, I wish they give us an option...

Season Tickets = MLS Games...

Opt in for Canadian Championship Package = discount on entire pack...

Friendly = further discount...

CONCACAF = further discount (even if we don't qualify, still get the % off the entire package as you're committing to purchase)...

Carts...

Oldtimer
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
More games means more money for season tickets? Frakk I thought it was bad enough that we are going to pay 8% HST on tickets next year that we didn't have to pay before. Maybe I am wrong about HST being included for sporting events. Can someone prove me wrong about HST please? I could use 'some' good news :-(

You're wrong. :) The 8% provincial portion of the HST replaced a 10% entertainment tax for sporting events. So its actually 2% less.

nfitz
09-14-2010, 02:26 PM
More games means more money for season tickets?If a couple of the game become opt-in, then you shouldn't have to pay more .. than the usual increase.

Frakk I thought it was bad enough that we are going to pay 8% HST on tickets next year that we didn't have to pay before. Maybe I am wrong about HST being included for sporting events. Can someone prove me wrong about HST please? I could use 'some' good news :-(It's a Bad News, Good News thing.

Bad News. Yes, you now pay a 13% HST.

Good News. Previously you paid 5% GST and 10% PST on sports (and movie) tickets. (http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/taxchange/pdf/taxable.pdf#page=7)

I guess all politicians are TFC fans ...

Carts
09-14-2010, 02:26 PM
You're wrong. :) The 8% provincial portion of the HST replaced a 10% entertainment tax for sporting events. So its actually 2% less.

Nice!

Why didn't Dalton say that while getting grilled about the HST? We'd all have been happy! :)

Carts...

SilverSamurai
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Gold Cup is 21 days... 3 weeks... I just don't see how we can shut down a whole league for 3 weeks at a time of year when the conditions are the best for soccer. I'm sympathetic. But even shutting down for 2 weeks is not the same as not playing on every national team date.

It would have been easier with 16 teams and 30 league games. Now we've got 18 teams and 34 league games. I proposed ditching most friendlies as a solution. That would make things easier. But stopping for 3 weeks would just screw up everything.

Not to mention dealing with weeknight schedules if a team makes Champions League. you gotta leave weeknights open for those games, since Mexican teams (and others) need their weekends for their league games.
I think the entire 3 weeks off (4 if you include the pre-training time) is unrealistic due to the different weather we have here.
They should at least stop during the group stage IMO.
I agree about scrapping friendlies though.

Terry Dunfield hasn't featured in the CMNT?

They'll be bringing up Canadians and signing out of contract ones to their squad. They will lose players to the tournament. Mark my words.
That would be a good thing. more canadian players getting international experience is never a bad thing.
The GC will likely be a more Euro based squad, but with some NA players too.

And who do you think is going to keep the 2%? ;)

nfitz
09-14-2010, 03:00 PM
And who do you think is going to keep the 2%?In sales since July. MLSE.

In 100 years ... the profit margin for MLSE will be exactly what it always was.

Sure, in the short term, it doesn't all filter through ... but in the long term it will get there.

MLSE must also purchase a lot of things that they paid provincial sales tax on ... and now pay HST which they get refunded by the government, unlike PST. Slowly that should all filter through to, and drop prices another percent or two ...

I never understand these "it won't be passed on" statements. Because Ontario exists in some special place outside the laws of economics?

Okay ... sorry for the rant ... it's a pet peeve ... yes, I saw the smiley ...

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
MLS has said ad nauseum they created the league for development of the US squad. What about US support assholes? You shut down the league and you shit your pants that no one would watch Gold Cup give up and forget about their MLS side and watch Baseball? Pathetic. Grow a pair. Grow the bloody game. You'd do a damn sight better than spotlighting the leagues players late in the calendar year during playoffs vs a whole bunch of competition in the sports landscape.

Brooker
09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
UGH...

Keystone FC
09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Of course they say there will be no breaks for NEXT YEAR, so there is a window of opprotunity for the teams to voice their displeasure (which they will) and I'm sure they will break for the 2014 WC. Other than that...we better get a good training staff that can keep our guys fresh for 34 matches...plus.

gmacpheetfc
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Paul B says no friendlies next year
17 home matches
4 NCC matches
4 CCL matches all to be included in Season ticket pack

Pachuco
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
They took a free game last year which was the first round of the Champions League away from us this year AND increased ticket prices. MLSE fuck off and you can go ahead andnot raise ticket prices this year even with the added two games.

canadian_bhoy
09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Paul B said on Twitter that NCC will be included on the season tix - as will 2010 MLS Cup.

Not sure how I feel about the 2010 MLS Cup tix being in the 2011 package.

gmacpheetfc
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
plus potential to included a CMNT WCQ for 2012

TFCRegina
09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Nice!

Why didn't Dalton say that while getting grilled about the HST? We'd all have been happy! :)

Carts...

Because it affects like 1% of the population.

Pachuco
09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
17 home matches
4 NCC matches

That's 5 additional matches included in our seasons tickets that we didn't have to pay for last year if we didn't want to? How much are they planning to charge me for my season's this year? they can eat it if they are going to approach me with spending upwards of $2500.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's 6 games if the MLS cup is included. FUCK RIGHT OFF I'm not going to watch the Beckycakes and Henry love session.

JonO
09-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Really, the MLS final is included in the 2011 season ticket pack? Gonna consult legal on this one...

rocker
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
17 home matches
4 NCC matches

source?

has the format of CCL been decided yet? Edmonton is not technically in the new second division yet from what I've read.

nfitz
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
17 home matches
4 NCC matches
4 CCL matches all to be included in Season ticket pack17 MLS matches and 4 NCC/CCL games. They are not sure how many NCC games there will be yet, so if it's 2 again, it will be 2 NCC games, and the first 2 CCL games.

So 21 matches plus the MLS Cup.

gmacpheetfc
09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne

gmacpheetfc
09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
3 home games in NCC plus qualifier for CCL

Hitcho
09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
3 home games in NCC plus qualifier for CCL

Depends, PB also tweeted:

eg: 2 NCC games, a preliminary CCL game and first group stage. Not clear how many NCC games next year, so that's my best guess

so if there are only two NCC games then we get the first group stage game included? What of we don't make it through? Will they refund the money, allocate it to next year's package price or god forbid throw in an emergency friendly against some crap side?!

I am PISSED that they are trying to include the MLS Cup final in the package. How much will that cost and why the fuck should we have to pay for it?! SUre, give us the option, but unless it's FREE to say thanks for being such great fans these last 4 years then who the fuck do they think they are? They sold us out to MLS just so they could host the final and make MORE MONEY out of us? Give me a break.

Just when you start to think they've done something right... :facepalm:

nfitz
09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I am PISSED that they are trying to include the MLS Cup final in the package. How much will that cost and why the fuck should we have to pay for it?! SUre, give us the option, but unless it's FREE to say thanks for being such great fans these last 4 years then who the fuck do they think they are? They sold us out to MLS just so they could host the final and make MORE MONEY out of us? Give me a break.As far as I know, Paul said that the MLS Cup would be optional.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
source?

has the format of CCL been decided yet? Edmonton is not technically in the new second division yet from what I've read.

I'm pretty sure Edmonton is confirmed for the V Cup. I can't remember where I read it - maybe Duane's blog.

nfitz
09-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Edmonton is confirmed for the V Cup. I can't remember where I read it - maybe Duane's blog.Edmonton isn't even confirmed for the league yet ... the whole thing is still not sorted out; the league hasn't been approved yet, and it's not clear if Edmonton will be allowed to be in it if it is.

Hitcho
09-14-2010, 11:31 PM
As far as I know, Paul said that the MLS Cup would be optional.

Looks like I was too quick to doubt them! Oh me of little faith. A $1 price increase for a season where the friendly is replaced by two league games and they chuck in an extra CCL game PLUS the MLS Cup Final for free? AND they fire Mo on the same day?!

YOWZER!!!! :flare::flare::flare:

BS1327
09-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the winner of the Gold Cup next year gain entry to the Confed Cup in 2013?

Maybe Garber is using it as stratagy to aid the Americans to victory, forgetting full well that the refs are already planning a sabatouge on Canada.

nfitz
09-14-2010, 11:48 PM
A $1 price increase for a season where the friendly is replaced by two league games and they chuck in an extra CCL game PLUS the MLS Cup Final for free? AND they fire Mo on the same day?!When you put it that way, it's been one hell of a day. Must have been a very strange place to work today.

All we need now is a big sex scandal with one of our players, and we'll be a real football team!<3

Darlofletch
09-15-2010, 12:50 AM
17 home matches
4 NCC matches

4 ncc games? against who?

icecoldbeer
09-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Fire Garber!! :)

nfitz
09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
4 ncc games? against who?4 NCC or CCL games. They don't know how many teams will be in NCC (probably 4, but could be 3 or even a longshot of 5) or the format. Presumably teams would be some or all of TFC, Impact, Whitecaps, Edmonton, and CSL champion.

habstfc
09-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Now all we need is the single table..

Yeoman
09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
if i do renew?
yeah i'll make sure that seat of mine in the MLS cup doesn't sell
fuck them
i don't fucking want to go. now fuck off.

Fort York Redcoat
09-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Now all we need is the single table..

Oh but most Americans won't know why they'd go to regular season games if there were no playoffs..:rolleyes: