PDA

View Full Version : A tactical discussion

jloome
09-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Ok, so we've reached the usual point of the season where the team stops scoring, is figured out tactically by other teams and starts losing en masse.

I find our current tactical approach -- almost all short buildup, through the middle, with a conservative defensive line -- inept. It's insufficient except against teams that seriously lack composure. Everyone else can simply mark us out with reasonably tight, full-field man-to-man, because we're left with few distribution options from the backline up.

With teams expecting us to stick rigidly to our current approach, I think it's time to try a counterattacking system, at least as opportunity presents itself (which, with full-field pressure, is often the case).

It'd still be a 4-4-2, as a radical adjustment from us both a) wouldn't be cohesive in attack and b) would prompt tactical shifts from other teams.

But if we left our two central midfielders recessed, sitting in front of the defensive line, then employed the wings and overlaps from the fullbacks to advance the ball, we could catch teams with a high line, and allow DeRo or Barrett to get behind them.

If it stalls, we can always overload on one sideline, and employ the fullback overlap on the weak side to gain ground.

This has a couple of advantage: one, there's the obvious element of surprise. Two, we have skill players in Mista, DeGuzman and DeRosario who really are good at weighing through balls when there's some actual running space involved. Three, it gives us some opportunities to have attackers challenge defenders one-on-one in space, instead of relying on crosses and rebounds to get shots in.

Perhaps this is too obvious, as it's kind of old-school, but rather than relying on short use of space -- without the tactical acumen to read teammate movement accurately -- it plays to our team's strengths.

I'd play it as

----------------Frei-------------------
Usanov--Attakora----Cann--Garcia (yeah, whatever, bite me)

-----------Saric---DeGuzman-----------

Barrett----------------------------DeRosario

-------------Mista---Maicon------------

By way of explanation:

-- I like Gargan's toughness (can he play centrally?) but Usanov is better on the overlap.

-- Mista would be the target forward here, but whether he was recessed, feeding balls forward, or advanced, holding up, would depend on what our opponent were up to.

jloome
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow, this one's fading fast.

Jeffro
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I would do pretty much exactly this, only I'd like to see it as more of a 4-2-3-1:

--Barrett--Mista--DeRo--
---------Maicon---------, Mista and DeRo can switch, and hopefully Saric and DeGuz would solidify the back allowing Usanov and Garcia/Gargan/Harden to get forward and offer more width.

GeorgeBest
09-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I'd like to see this formation or a 4-3-3 (4-5-1), anything that employs some wide players. Believe it or not, I think Preki would like to play this formation if all the players were available (not injured). At the start of the season he played some 4-4-2 with two central and two wide midfielders.

I agree Barrett and Dero are our only two viable wide options. Problem is neither player wants to play in a wide postion. Barrett wants to play striker, Dero wants to play central attacking midfielder. When played wide they invariably veer towards the middle or in Dero's case he just roams all over the field to voice his displeasure. I think this is why Preki abandoned the formation and also due to the lack of central strikers.

As for the rest, I'd choose Gargan and Harden over Usanov and Garcia. Usanov is a master of the two-footed challenge, he doesn't even try to square around a player when slide tackling, he just slides in from behind with both legs, studs up. He's a red card waiting to happen. I agree he's decent going forward, but too risky. Gargan can also go forward and make plays, he's got several assists this year. Garcia was 30 yards out of positon on Cunningham's goal at Dallas, enough said.

In general, I agree with the thrust of this, it's a shame we probably won't see it. The addition of Mista and Santos makes it possible, can Preki get Dero and Barrett to go along?

jloome
09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd like to see this formation or a 4-3-3 (4-5-1), anything that employs some wide players. Believe it or not, I think Preki would like to play this formation if all the players were available (not injured). At the start of the season he played some 4-4-2 with two central and two wide midfielders.

I agree Barrett and Dero are our only two viable wide options. Problem is neither player wants to play in a wide postion. Barrett wants to play striker, Dero wants to play central attacking midfielder. When played wide they invariably veer towards the middle or in Dero's case he just roams all over the field to voice his displeasure. I think this is why Preki abandoned the formation and also due to the lack of central strikers.

As for the rest, I'd choose Gargan and Harden over Usanov and Garcia. Usanov is a master of the two-footed challenge, he doesn't even try to square around a player when slide tackling, he just slides in from behind with both legs, studs up. He's a red card waiting to happen. I agree he's decent going forward, but too risky. Gargan can also go forward and make plays, he's got several assists this year. Garcia was 30 yards out of positon on Cunningham's goal at Dallas, enough said.

In general, I agree with the thrust of this, it's a shame we probably won't see it. The addition of Mista and Santos makes it possible, can Preki get Dero and Barrett to go along?

I think it works even if they do get leeway to cheat inside. It depends. If they realize they're just as likely to get chances as the two guys upfront, it might not matter.

ArmenJBX
09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Watch this, I'm about to blow your minds.

------------------------Stefan Frei--------------------------
--Maxim Usanov-----Nana Attakora---------Adrian Cann------
Dan Gargan--------------JDG---------------------Hscanovics
----------------De Rosario----Mista--------------------------
---------Chad Barrett---------------Maicon Santos-----------

Ty Harden for Usanov, Nick LaBrocca for Hscanovics

Pookie
09-10-2010, 07:23 PM
This has a couple of advantage: one, there's the obvious element of surprise. Two, we have skill players in Mista, DeGuzman and DeRosario who really are good at weighing through balls when there's some actual running space involved. Three, it gives us some opportunities to have attackers challenge defenders one-on-one in space, instead of relying on crosses and rebounds to get shots in.

Perhaps this is too obvious, as it's kind of old-school, but rather than relying on short use of space -- without the tactical acumen to read teammate movement accurately -- it plays to our team's strengths.

I'd play it as

----------------Frei-------------------
Usanov--Attakora----Cann--Garcia (yeah, whatever, bite me)

-----------Saric---DeGuzman-----------

Barrett----------------------------DeRosario

-------------Mista---Maicon------------

I'm all for a system that offers another form of attack other than the cross. This isn't a TFC specific thing but the quality of crosses league wide is poor. Didn't Beckham want to run a "school" on that at some point? Our offensive creativity seems to come from a list:

1. Cross, hit shins of defender

2. Recover ball, adjust aim, Cross again

3. Watch ball sail out and get back into position to defend off Goal Kick

The midfield seems to have a "play list" that includes:

1. Stand still. Await pass from our back line

2. Don't look to move it forward, move it backwards, then stand still

3. If back line is standing still, pass to Frei

A counter-attack style would seemingly play into our defensive strength. It isn't going to win Preki and new fans but it might win him 3 points.

Though truth be told, I'm convinced that sometimes we end up playing a counter attack style just by default. But with the lack of movement off the ball, we forget the "attack" part.

I would suggest that Mista and Barrett switch positions in your line up above. Mista doesn't have the speed that Barrett does and seems to be able to offer more in terms of a vision for a pass and longer range shot.

GeorgeBest
09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
I think it works even if they do get leeway to cheat inside. It depends. If they realize they're just as likely to get chances as the two guys upfront, it might not matter.

I agree they should always have the leeway to cheat inside, things need to be flexible.

And they can definitely score goals from out there although probably not as many as a central striker. Dero scored lots of goals from that position last year.

Dero is effective out wide for a few reasons. He commands a lot of repect from defenders in MLS. He usually attracts attention from the fullback and a centre back because they know he has the ability to beat almost any fullback in MLS one-on-one. This opens things up for the strikers. However, it's less attractive work than being the central cog as attacking midfielder. Don't think this sits well with Dero and he can abandon the position for extended periods robbing the team of width. You always got the feeling Dero wanted Guevara's job when they played together.

I would still say go for it, limited buy in or not. Put your four best attacking players on the field at the same time, see what they can create.

prizby
09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Good comments jloome, I like the start u made, but I got some adjustments

--------frei---------
Gargan-nana-cann-harden
----saric--jdg--labrocca----
--------mista---dero------
---- barrett. ----

Got maicon, peterson, usanov, obw, conway, garcia, nane? off the bench