PDA

View Full Version : Understanding of the MLS Rules

Shway
09-10-2010, 07:47 AM
So I am a bit confused how the MLS rules work. In regards to Real Salt Lake announcing the acquisition of FW Paulo Araujo Jr. via a loan deal with Miami FC of the USSF D-2 Pro League. The loan arrangement will keep the Brazilian striker, a member of the reigning MLS Cup champion through the remainder of its 2010 season, including the MLS Cup Playoffs.

My question is, how is it possible for the top team in league to grab a player who is in the top 5 for goal scoring?

I thought the deadline to make moves was over?
If so, I guess were still waiting on Mo's signing :rolleyes:

Can someone explain how this works?

rocker
09-10-2010, 09:10 AM
the transfer window is over but MLS has a roster freeze deadline of September 15.
I guess since this guy is not being transferred, just loaned, then he can move to RSL before the 15th.

menefreghista
09-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Goes to show what happens when you have someone more creative running your team.

rocker
09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
:picard:

menefreghista
09-10-2010, 09:25 AM
:picard:

Yup. I've been facepalming for 4 years watching Mo Johnston run this team.

Btw, it probably has something to do with the fact that the transfer/loan is occurring in North America. That's why its allowed.

Shway
09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
thanks for the answer guys,

I declare shenanigans!!!!:flare::deadhorse:

razor787
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
The international window closed, so I'm guessing that if it's within the country it's allowed?

Which also would mean Toronto would be at a disadvantage, since we would only be able to sign CSL players from Canadian teams

menefreghista
09-10-2010, 10:49 AM
The international window closed, so I'm guessing that if it's within the country it's allowed?

Which also would mean Toronto would be at a disadvantage, since we would only be able to sign CSL players from Canadian teams

Or the Impact or Whitecaps.

Of course, we could still trade within MLS.

reggie
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM

i think free agents can be signed from anywhere until the 15th.i may be wrong.
saying that..ive watched a few csl games,there are some players that can replace the likes of peterson,nane,and ibby.

Wull
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
The rules are, if a Toronto player gets hit by the ball it's a handball, if someone does it against Toronto it's ball to hand and you don't call it.