PDA

View Full Version : always look on the bright side of life!

__wowza
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
it seems that the boards are full of negativity towards the end of the season (mainly because we fail to make the playoffs). we point fingers, name names, jump down each others throats and call for blood; it's inevitable when you're a toronto sports fan.

i know we're still not out of it, but i'd like to open this thread for anyone who'd like to say something positive about this season. try and refrain from sarcasm or shooting down anyone else's points. i know we're all adults here, but that ain't the point of this thread. i have a feeling that some positive energy would do us all some good. i'll start us out..

i think our defense has become more cohesive and has improved substantially as a result. i can't remember another season where i can say "man, ____ had a great game!", but i find myself saying that about attakora, cann, harden, etc time and again. look at our GA thus far:

2007 - 49 (GD -24)
2008 - 43 (GD -9)
2009 - 46 (GD -9)
2010 - 26 (GD -4)

wzhxvy
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I am glad we have grass
Scotts girl
Cruz Azul game

Hitcho
09-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Garcia's contract expires at the end of the season.

Chances of Mo being fired if we fail to make play offs must be higher than ever before.

That's about all I can muster right now, sorry!

{ok, the points above are also good, and we have a core of good players in the squad in Frei, Cann, Nana, Gargan, JDG and De Ro and there's some cause for optimism in Santos, Barrett (this season) and Mista up front}

TOBOR !
09-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I am glad we have grass
Scotts girl
Cruz Azul game

Sec. 127 - I was there with you !

She's something sweet, that's for sure.

Parkdale
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Chances of Mo being fired if we fail to make play offs must be higher than ever before.

I remember early in the season when many people were saying "hey, if we tank then it's the end of Mo, and that's the price we pay".

are people still feeling like that? hard to say. We want the problems with the team to go, but at the cost of winning? Again, hard to say

Azerban
09-09-2010, 01:40 PM
nothing matters, death is inevitable, the universe will end not with a bang but a whimper

TFC_Central
09-09-2010, 01:40 PM
i was half expecting a vid of the chant from 07' :(

Boondaddy
09-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Labrocca's wind assisted goal was it for me...that was pretty cool.

v00d00daddy
09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
it seems that the boards are full of negativity towards the end of the season (mainly because we fail to make the playoffs). we point fingers, name names, jump down each others throats and call for blood; it's inevitable when you're a toronto sports fan.

i know we're still not out of it, but i'd like to open this thread for anyone who'd like to say something positive about this season. try and refrain from sarcasm or shooting down anyone else's points. i know we're all adults here, but that ain't the point of this thread. i have a feeling that some positive energy would do us all some good. i'll start us out..

i think our defense has become more cohesive and has improved substantially as a result. i can't remember another season where i can say "man, ____ had a great game!", but i find myself saying that about attakora, cann, harden, etc time and again. look at our GA thus far:

2007 - 49 (GD -24)
2008 - 43 (GD -9)
2009 - 46 (GD -9)
2010 - 26 (GD -4)

I'm with you.

While we may not be heading down a better path than last year (although I still think we are) in terms of the playoffs...we ARE much better than last year.

So some people don't like the style....tough shit for them. I'm happy we're a defense first team and that we've become much better in that regard.

If the team stays intact (including the coach) all it will take is the addition of one creative midfield player. That's it. That's all we need. I know people talk about wingers...which would be nice..but not absolutely necessary.

I think this club is going in the right direction...as long as they can fix the problem of the guy picking/attracting the players.

This year: If we get Maicon back and he can play up front with Mista (and DeRo roaming behind them) we may be able to sneak into the playoffs.

Next year: Everyone healthy...and add a creative attacking midfielder and we'll be on our way to being in the top half of calibre in this league.

I like the way this team is going. (as long as Mo goes soon)

I think a positive thread was very much warranted. Good work :)

ecantona7
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Motague (both legs) Cruz Azul, 4-1 Chicago at home. We not only made the CL but we owned Cruz Azul at home. If we get passed our group in the CL I'll be ecstatic and even if we don't I'm ecstatic we made it to the CL anyways. No matter how bad we perform for the rest of the season, I just need to think back to the Cruz Azul (was on my birthday so I have a bit of a bias there) and Motague home games and all despair is gone.

Yeoman
09-09-2010, 02:17 PM
it's cabin fever
and the only solution? more cowbell
wait
no i mean, butt sex
either way, flaming scooters on the pitch to show our message

__wowza
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
someone mentioned it before, i forgot who it was, but they were along the lines of:

"if we were told that we'd take the voyagers cup, get through to the group stage of the CCL, and vastly improve the way our defense functions, sign our first academy player, in the pre-season, we all would've been absolutely ecstatic."

i think the sentiment is bang on.

TOBOR !
09-09-2010, 03:20 PM
it's cabin fever
and the only solution? more cowbell
wait
no i mean, butt sex
either way, flaming scooters on the pitch to show our message

what's that red stuff on your face ? is that a rash or something ? it looks like you're chewing your tongue... what's going on there ?

Hitcho
09-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I remember early in the season when many people were saying "hey, if we tank then it's the end of Mo, and that's the price we pay".

are people still feeling like that? hard to say. We want the problems with the team to go, but at the cost of winning? Again, hard to say

I think it's more "ah crap, we've tanked again for fuck's sake, but i suppose we'll at least finally get rid of mo now".

having said that, i am not at all convinced that mlse would sack him if we missed the post season. we should NOT take that for granted. have you heard anselmi say anything along those lines? have you heard MO say anything (would you believe it if he did)?

if we want mo out as a result of missing the play offs or just generally, then we damn well better scream about it...

TFC John
09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
We got rain or wind for all but about 4-5 games. It made the casuals stay home and the real supporters bring it even more.
Watching the bounce cover half of the south end - awesome.
Seeing tifos shown and quoted on the tv coverage.
Gol TV showing games in HD.
Players running arm in arm towards the supporters sections to celebrate wins.
Stefan Frei - again.

ArmenJBX
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Stefan Frei has to be up for the RPB player of the season.

v00d00daddy
09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Stefan Frei has to be up for the RPB player of the season.

Totally agree. He and Cann are a toss up for me. Both amongst the best in the league at their positions this year.

2 Huge positives to take from this year. :)

TheKing7
09-09-2010, 10:47 PM
We have been improving with each season that passes. Despite this it seems that in the parity league that is the MLS, we have once again been left behind.

FluSH
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
hmmm... lets see:

Not making it to the playoffs... and having the playoffs beign hosted in our city is going to feel like a kick in the balls... but on the bright side... it won't be a real kick to the balls!!!

(i.e. http://www.guzer.com/videos/ball_kicking_contest.php )

Yagbod
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Finally standing, singing and swearing every game without Vijay Singh staring me down. A breath of fresh air!

Keystone FC
09-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Columbus is dealing with a bedbug infestation:
http://www.badbedbugs.com/growing-bed-bug-problem-in-franklin-county/

TOBOR !
09-10-2010, 07:30 AM
We got rain or wind for all but about 4-5 games. It made the casuals stay home and the real supporters bring it even more.
Watching the bounce cover half of the south end - awesome.
Seeing tifos shown and quoted on the tv coverage.
Gol TV showing games in HD.
Players running arm in arm towards the supporters sections to celebrate wins.
Stefan Frei - again.

About that part : I always get a bit miffed that the team will jog out to the SW corner and do a sweeping clap that may reach the SE, as they turn to jog back just past halfway to applaud the NE corner - and then walk off the field.

Maybe someone should mention that the other 15,000 people in the stadium might appreciate some love as well. All you have to do is go to the center circle and clap 360 degrees. Or is the message that since I can't organise my section or convince security to let me bring in a banner that I'm not actually supporting the team ? I dunno. I'd like to see the whole team applaud the entire stadium - the way they do at the end of a season.

Fort York Redcoat
09-10-2010, 07:36 AM
^not so bright side.

Champions league group stage. All I'm caring about right now.

TOBOR !
09-10-2010, 08:21 AM
^not so bright side.

yeah - maybe I should've posted that in a different, appropriately themed thread.

__wowza
09-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Totally agree. He and Cann are a toss up for me. Both amongst the best in the league at their positions this year.

2 Huge positives to take from this year. :)

+1 who elects those?