PDA

View Full Version : MLSE - Exorcism Required?

Bombonera
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I find it interesting that a "curse" is being referred to in some of the TFC press... on some days I think the source of this "curse" is none other than Mo, and on others I think Anselmi and Co's bad karma is simply too overwhelming for any hardworking athletes to overcome. But at this point, I am wanting to use words used by the likes of Bernanke and Carney such as "UNUSUAL"....

While I can't for the life of me make any sense of the lineups used by Preki, his steadfast allegiance to Garcia, etc. I have to admit there have been a game or two over the past few weeks where we actually played pretty good football (Cruz Azul, Colorado...). And to be fair, I do think we are a better team today than we were a year ago. However, the ball simply does not bounce out way; we don't score, and while we are penalized every time for handballs, our oponents rarely if ever are (last night was a very good example!)

I rememeber when the Red Sox called in Father guido Sarducci to perform an exorcism at Fenway. Unfortunately, I think it took another 20 years for the process to take effect, and I don't think any of us have the kind of patience. However, what else can be done about this sorry state of affairs? Fire Mo thereby potentially sednign us back to "expansion" mode for the 3rd time? I can't stand the guy, and hate the idea of not making the playoffs yet again, but let's rememeber what we looked like the first few games of the season. That was awful.

So what is the solution to this UNUSUAL situation?

rocker
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
sacrifice a young academy boy to the footy gods at halftime of a league game.

Parkdale
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
sports people are a very superstitious bunch, but I think that blaming 'powers beyond our control' is just scapegoating the real issue - bad decision, bad management and not having the will to win. So many people will blame 'bad karma' for things that go wrong in their life, but it's just another way to blame the victim. let's say you get a flat tire - was it because you did something bad and deserved a flat tire? Nope - you got a flat tire because flat tires happen. With sports, you get a shitty season because shitty seasons happen, especially if you don't know how to make a winning season happen.

__wowza
09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/exorcist-1-1.jpg

tfcleeds
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Interesting theory. But rather than have an exorcism at BMO Field, I think there needs to be one at 50 Bay St. Anselmi may be Beelzebub, but Lucifer (MLSE) has many other minions.

rocker
09-09-2010, 10:59 AM
sports people are a very superstitious bunch, but I think that blaming 'powers beyond our control' is just scapegoating the real issue - bad decision, bad management and not having the will to win. So many people will blame 'bad karma' for things that go wrong in their life, but it's just another way to blame the victim. let's say you get a flat tire - was it because you did something bad and deserved a flat tire? Nope - you got a flat tire because flat tires happen. With sports, you get a shitty season because shitty seasons happen, especially if you don't know how to make a winning season happen.

but it's worth sacrificing an academy boy just to be sure.

this could also be an incentive to encourage the academy boys to play better.

Hitcho
09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
won't do much for the academy intake next year though - haha!

miker
09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Exorcism isn't the way to go. But what I'd love to see happen is professional leagues forcing MLSE to DIVEST itself of its sports franchises.

With the Maple Leafs, MLSE has made a mockery out of one of the flagship teams in the NHL. And their soccer and basketball teams are also exercises in futility.

So I say force the bastards to sell.

Wull
09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
sacrifice a young academy boy to the footy gods at halftime of a league game.

Didn't Preki do that down in Honduras?!

Carts
09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Didn't Preki do that down in Honduras?!

EPIC POST!!!

Very true... Poor kid was in a no-win situation starting that match...

Carts...

ensco
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Here you go Bombonera. Give these guys a call. You can do it yourself.
Vaya con dios, boludo!
http://aaeok.tripod.com/

GeorgeBest, you need to link up with the Redcoats:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/redcoat-holdouts-still-fighting-american-revolutio,2677/

ArmenJBX
09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Who can take Mo's job? As much as I want to see Mo gone it's not like there's a bunch of GM's who know MLS just hanging around.

Beach_Red
09-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Who can take Mo's job? As much as I want to see Mo gone it's not like there's a bunch of GM's who know MLS just hanging around.

There's no salary cap for management, they can hire anyone they want of they pay enough and offer a long enough contract.

If they want to....

Chevy
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Exorcism isn't the way to go. But what I'd love to see happen is professional leagues forcing MLSE to DIVEST itself of its sports franchises.

With the Maple Leafs, MLSE has made a mockery out of one of the flagship teams in the NHL. And their soccer and basketball teams are also exercises in futility.

So I say force the bastards to sell.

Yeah riiiiiight, the NBA, NHL and MLS forcing a stable, profitable, multi-billion dollar company and it's even larger (by a factor of about 100) parent, the Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund to sell it's teams?

Not likely in this lifetime.

Bombonera
09-09-2010, 08:04 PM
I like the idea of sacrificing an academy player... I think the football gods would aproove. Ufortunately Guevara is gone... He would have been the man to do it...

Yet another missed opportunity. Argh.

Keystone FC
09-10-2010, 12:32 AM
I was thinking this the other day. I know just about everyone has ordered their 'Mo Must Go' t-shirts but who would could MLSE get to replace him? A coach for a soccer club is one thing a GM is another.
I mean unless MLSE is offering some big time money one in their right mind is going to want to step into this mess that has been TFC for the past 4 years.
And promoting from within is something I really don't want to see. I would think that someone from the outside would better. Someone who comes from a winning culture and who can take hold of any situation immediately.

MKR
09-10-2010, 06:57 AM
As surely as derivatives were the weapons of mass destruction for the financial system, MLSE is a giant battery of sidewinder missiles being fired continuously at the heart of the Toronto sports fan.

From the second you enter any MLSE venue, you are assaulted with a barrage of shit. A short list of this would include - horrendous loud blaring music being played for no reason whatsoever - endless advertisements masquerading as stupid games and promotions filling every stoppage of play - ads on every available square foot of space - interruptions from loud over-the-top arena announcers reminding you of how great your team is - syrupy, schlocky pre-game ceremonies celebrating every patheitic minor near-victory in the team's past (wow, the Raptors 15th anniversary season, let's celebrate)- retro nights - videos with Carlton - outrageously priced jerseys that change style every year to boost sales - overpriced beer -and last but not least pathetic non-competitive teams listlessly playing a game you don't recognise.

Funny as pathetic as Mo's revolving door of player signings and choice of coaches (starting with himself) has been for TFC, the things that tend to piss me off more are things like telling me that a 34-year old man is too old to fly and instituting a "Wall of Honour" after 3 seasons of winning nothing. If you're going to be shit on the field, at least don't treat the fans like idiots. And BTW, don't take away the only redeeming design aspect of BMO Field (i.e. the Beer Garden) and turn it into a dungeon. Like it's a crime to have a few pints with your friends before the game in the sunshine.

This requires more than an exorcism it requires a revolution.

agree with you about a lot of the commercial aspects of the MLSE 'presentation', but face it that is sports today. especially North American sports. What you see here is no different than what you see in other major North American centers.

Agree that the wall of honour is a wall of joke.

Disagree about the beer garden. Any real stadium has seating on all sides. North stand makes perfect sense (everything except the pricing). In fact i would say the beer garden, well you can call it beer area now is still a pretty good set up as you can still hang out there with a pint and see the field pretty good below the north stand. It was a great comprimise.

The only thing keeping me even somewhat interested in TFC is that i like having a home team to cheer for and i love football. Otherwise it's been a sucky 4 years. Would probably change allegiancies if another toronto team came around, but we know that won't happen so it's MLSE brand soccer for me i guess.

fetajr
09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
its bad Karma...MLSE trying to squeeze every penny out of each match... the latest being renting out space in the beer garden to host private events prior to gametime...probably during the game too but i haven't seen that with my own eyes.

MLSE = Scrooge McDuck at its finest