PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game: TFC 0 Chicago 0

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
So handballs don't exist in the ref's eyes and we were robbed of two penalties. We played decent football and outplayed Chicago but again we can't score. OBW has to go and Barrett needs to come back.

We'll probably hammer DC United at home this weekend but dropping points over and over again on the road is likely to be the death of our season.

Brooker
09-08-2010, 09:34 PM
23-7 fouls? Uh huh.

2 handballs inside the box, no call.... Uh huh.

Oldtimer
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Mo must go.

Suds
As the saying goes ... can't win if you can't score. And we never really looked like scoring at any point during the game

Heart of Stone
Cameraman 1 - Preki 0

James17930
Again, almost think that if we had of had this team settled to begin the year, we might have picked up a few more points in the first few games and still been right in it now. Because we are now a decent team -- not spectacular, but decent. And you can't do much about injuries except try to have depth.

We can't have this bullshit of always bringing guys in in the final days of training camp anymore.

Alixir
What a joke this team is....how many 0-0 draws have we had this year.
JDG was shit again...again they are crossing the ball from center which they have been doing since 2007 and I have NEVER seen them score on that play.
Its pretty bad when I have seen Japanese highschool teams that play better then our beloved Reds, and that is no joke.

Roogsy
I never thought I'd be wishing for Barrett to come back but...

Ugh...here goes...

Barrett, please hurry back.

:puke:

Pachuco
Classic Preki game right here folks. I have no idea how many 0-0 ties that is this season but I can't take to watch this terrible offense any longer. Preki's concept of an offense is to get the players to win throw ins so he can continue to beat the dead horse with a hammer and have Gargan throw it into the box.

smeghead
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I love Andy. Git rid of dobby and forest gump and put her in.

Shakes McQueen
They played an alright game, but it simply isn't good enough. We can all agree on that. Whether you think it's the coach deciding the tactics, the guy signing contracts, or both - this isn't good enough.

The guys on the pitch today showed no creativity around the box - even when we were looking pretty good in the second half, every rally resulted in, at best, a poorly taken long range shot (and another satellite in orbit).

As a fan I hold a small flicker of hope that we can still do this, but the realist in me just wants this season to end so we can start clearing the decks.

- Scott

ag futbol
I thought we played decent but the lack of a threat up top was obvious along with the inability of some of the other guys to make the right decisions with the ball.

Positives: Frei (why even bother, he's good 90% of the time), JDG

Negatives: Peterson, OBW moving at glacial speed,

TFC Cityboy
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I can't even see us scoring against DC this weekend with these guys.
I think I may have reached the point where I WANT us to miss out on the playoffs so we can start the revolution.

Roogsy
We need Danny Dichio back.

And no I am not joking.

Keystone FC
I am sooooooo glad I got ill this morning and decided not to go to Chicago. Those refs would have had a bad experience and I would be in jail right now.

Roogsy
09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
And one more thing:

For everyone complaining about not being creative enough and not knowing what to do in the final third...

That is precisely what you get when you fill the team full of plumbers and grinders. What else would you expect?

TFC USA
Classic Preki game right here folks. I have no idea how many 0-0 ties that is this season but I can't take to watch this terrible offense any longer. Preki's concept of an offense is to get the players to win throw ins so he can continue to beat the dead horse with a hammer and have Gargan throw it into the box.

You can't be serious? We pretty much played a 4-3-3 when Santos came on up until OBW came off.

I never thought I'd say this a year ago but...holy shit we need Barrett, and most importantly Dero needs him.

kaos197O
I really enjoyed watching Deguzman playing better and then seeing Santos and his skill later in the half. We will be deadly if we can get Barrett, Santos, Mista, Dero and DeGuz healthy and in reasonable from. I hope it'll happen before it's too late.

We need to hammer DC on Saturday......HARD!

Juanito
It's gonna be tough from here on in. Only 3 of 7 games left @ home. Maximum points @ home is a must, which means we have to win at least one, possibly two matches on the road to have any chance at the playoffs.

Shakes McQueen
I thought we played decent but the lack of a threat up top was obvious along with the inability of some of the other guys to make the right decisions with the ball.

Everyone on the field today had a mind boggling brain fart or two. Even DeRo attempted some passes that left me scratching my head and cursing under my breath.

- Scott

denime
We are learning a hard way to be true supporters,it's easy to support big team from overseas.
Whoever survives MO's 5 years plan called "destroy TFC support" will be a true TFC Supporter for life.http://64.13.252.151/forums/images/smilies/Custom/Drinking_trink38.gif

reggie
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
i want those 2 hrs back...2 shite teams ,2 shite play by play guys.

SirBobSaget
This 3 pts was crucial. With that and a very possible loss tonight by Seattle to RSL that would but TFC 2pts behind Sea with a game in hand.

So whats up with Mista? So much about this team and organization makes me so angry.

Alixir
i want those 2 hrs back...2 shite teams ,2 shite play by play guys.here here.

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I want our team offensively to be built like the Sounders but better. We need speed on the wings and a deadly goalscorer like Montero.

Red Rat
Referees 72 - MLS 0

Suds
They played an alright game, but it simply isn't good enough. We can all agree on that. Whether you think it's the coach deciding the tactics, the guy signing contracts, or both - this isn't good enough.

The guys on the pitch today showed no creativity around the box - even when we were looking pretty good in the second half, every rally resulted in, at best, a poorly taken long range shot (and another satellite in orbit).

- Scott

This is really killing us. When we get in the attacking third everything just grinds to a halt. At least with Barrett we had someone who had enough speed to chase a through-ball or try to use speed to beat a player. Right now there is nothing with regards to offense that shows this team has any plan once they get the ball up field.

TFC Cityboy
09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
We are learning a hard way to be true supporters,it's easy to support big team from overseas.
Whoever survives MO's 5 years plan called "destroy TFC support" will be a true TFC Supporter for life.http://64.13.252.151/forums/images/smilies/Custom/Drinking_trink38.gif
MCFC since 1973...this TFC thing is a piece of cake
:)

ag futbol

Very true.

I mean in the end, WE DID throw a lot of guys forward on the road when we needed points. Problem being, they simply aren't very talented and aren't effective attacking.

koryo
So handballs don't exist in the ref's eyes and we were robbed of two penalties. We played decent football and outplayed Chicago but again we can't score. OBW has to go and Barrett needs to come back.

We'll probably hammer DC United at home this weekend but dropping points over and over again on the road is likely to be the death of our season.

Or the five draws, never mind that loss at home, will be the death of this season. We do our job at home, instead of playing for a point at home, then tonight's result is a good one.

As it stands it's the same old story. Not nearly good enough. Coaching, playing... whatever.

Not good enough.

And you watch, plenty of people around here will still think me reactionary when I say, as I have done for the past two months, that Preki has taken us as far as he can. He needs to go along with Johnston.

Pachuco
You can't be serious? We pretty much played a 4-3-3 when Santos came on up until OBW came off.

I never thought I'd say this a year ago but...holy shit we need Barrett, and most importantly Dero needs him.

Yes I'm very serious. This team has absolutely no imagination going forward, if you think we do, then I don't know what to tell ya. I don't care if we play 4-3-3 or any other formation, I'm not talking about formation. I'm talking about tactics penetrating the other team's defense. Kinda like that run from Ljundberg. When's the last time you saw a clear cut opportunity from TFC?

TFC Cityboy
I want our team offensively to be built like the Sounders but better. We need speed on the wings and a deadly goalscorer like Montero.
ah yes but to get that you need to get rid of the clueless ginger wanker

SirBobSaget
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
i want those 2 hrs back...2 shite teams ,2 shite play by play guys.

More Cad vs Hon and less TFC vs Chi !!!

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Very true.

I mean in the end, WE DID throw a lot of guys forward on the road when we needed points. Problem being, they simply aren't very talented and aren't effective attacking.

Exactly. We put guys forward the minute Maicon came on the pitch, and all it did was make the offensive ineptitude more obvious.

Just... fuck. It's so frustrating to watch.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Questionable officiating tonight but TFC was sloppy and yet again displayed a poor final touch in the offensive third of the pitch. Good thing Ljungberg missed his breakaway and Castillo missed his free kick allowing TFC to at least salvage a draw...

reggie
tfc offence consist of gargan's long throws into the box...

Juanito
Or the five draws, never mind that loss at home, will be the death of this season. We do our job at home, instead of playing for a point at home, then tonight's result is a good one.

As it stands it's the same old story. Not nearly good enough. Coaching, playing... whatever.

Not good enough.

And you watch, plenty of people around here will still think me reactionary when I say, as I have done for the past two months, that Preki has taken us as far as he can. He needs to go along with Johnston.

Yeah, I'm starting to believe this. Can't say I disagree anymore.

TFC Cityboy
Exactly. We put guys forward the minute Maicon came on the pitch, and all it did was make the offensive ineptitude more obvious.

Just... fuck. It's so frustrating to watch.

- Scott
yup.

TFC Cityboy
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Questionable officiating tonight but TFC was sloppy and yeat again displayed a poor final touch in the offensive third of the pitch. Good thing Ljungberg missed his breakaway and Castillo missed his free kick allowing TFC to at least salvage a draw...
Chicago would have done us a favour in the long term by winning tonight. We'd have been mad as hell with the home game this weekend.

bman27
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
we would have had at least three or more chances if it was barrett upfront instead of OBW, had a handful of moments that he perhaps broke a sweat, but has absolutely no touch at all

Roogsy
09-08-2010, 09:45 PM
ANY dropped points in DC and we are done for the season. Ahead of schedule I might add.

Fantastic.

TFC USA
ah yes but to get that you need to get rid of the clueless ginger wanker

Yep. I think there should be a house cleaning.

menefreghista
It's gonna be tough from here on in. Only 3 of 7 games left @ home. Maximum points @ home is a must, which means we have to win at least one, possibly two matches on the road to have any chance at the playoffs.

The road game v. Seattle on Oct. 2nd will be crucial. They currently hold 8th place. If we can win that game, our playoff chances will be resuscitated. Mind you who knows if that game will even matter when we get to that point?

Juanito
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
OBW just isn't good enough. We've endured the last few seasons with Barrrett's shiteness and the moment he starts to look good, he goes down and OBW is a bad case of deja-vu! Bring back Barrett ... please!

denime
09-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Yes I'm very serious. This team has absolutely no imagination going forward, if you think we do, then I don't know what to tell ya. I don't care if we play 4-3-3 or any other formation, I'm not talking about formation. I'm talking about tactics penetrating the other team's defense. Kinda like that run from Ljundberg. When's the last time you saw a clear cut opportunity from TFC?
Team that is pushed to their half for the most of the game will have run like that,how the fuck you expect us to have a run like that when Fire was with 5-7 players on their half most of the game.
Do we need to be more creative? for sure,how? I have no clue otherwise I would be sitting on that bench.

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 09:49 PM
ANY dropped points in DC and we are done for the season. Ahead of schedule I might add.

Fantastic.

It's probably too late now. Who could we possibly beat on the road?

Pachuco
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Team that is pushed to their half for the most of the game will have run like that,how the fuck you expect us to have a run like that when Fire was with 5-7 players on their half most of the game.
Do we need to be more creative? for sure,how? I have no clue otherwise I would be sitting on that bench.

That chance occurred because of a great diagonal run and an even better pass from a DP who can actually pass the ball. That coupled with Usanov's mistake to play him onside.

Regardless, I'm not talking about break aways only, I'm talking about playing some attacking footie which we have no knowledge of doing. You don't seem to disagree with me, so what's your beef? You just like quoting me for fun?

ag futbol
I think the moment that summed this match up to a T was about half way through the first half.

Dero and Harden on the left side of the attacking area, one defender present.

Harden passes the ball do dero near the touch line, the defender follows the ball.

Harden (or peterson maybe?) acres of space in front of him, all Dero needs to do is make a simple pass to meet his run and Harden will stride practically into the 6 yard box for a great chance.

What does Harden do? He starts tracking back towards midfield and Dero is left with no option but to cross the ball into the far post.

reggie
i hope there are no kids online still,afterall its a school night according to dobson 3 times....fucking painful to watch.

MO MUST GO AND HE CAN BRING PRICKI,DOBSON,AND FORREST ALONG WITH HIM.

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
The road game v. Seattle on Oct. 2nd will be crucial. They currently hold 8th place. If we can win that game, our playoff chances will be resuscitated. Mind you who knows if that game will even matter when we get to that point?

Nah, we're probably fucked. Seattle would run rings around our defense.

Red Rat
And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I need to go back home, drink some scotch and blow my brains out!!!

Pachuco
I think the moment that summed this match up to a T was about half way through the first half.

Dero and Harden on the left side of the attacking area, one defender present.

Harden passes the ball do dero near the touch line, the defender follows the ball.

Harden (or peterson maybe?) acres of space in front of him, all Dero needs to do is make a simple pass to meet his run and Harden will stride practically into the 6 yard box for a great chance.

What does Harden do? He starts tracking back towards midfield and Dero is left with no option but to cross the ball into the far post.

And it all started at the beginning of the game when all OBW had to do was touch the ball to Dero and he was in on a breakaway. Instead he tried to take on the guy and couldn't even get the shot on net.

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
So why the fuck did Peterson get the start? Who is he banging to even get playing time? He's so terrible. Can't pass, cross, probably can't take a proper shit.

Keystone FC
09-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Fantastic.
I just shook my head when the announcers were looking ahead and saying that TFC is playing a bunch of teams that are below them and that if TFC could pick up some wins against those clubs then the playoffs might be in sight.
:picard:

Heart of Stone
09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Ljungburg must have felt foolish after missing ... he struggled to find someone to blame...

reggie
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I need to go back home, drink some scotch and blow my brains out!!!

AND YES MO DID IT HIS WAYYYYYYY

Keystone FC
09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
So why the fuck did Peterson get the start? Who is he banging to even get playing time? He's so terrible. Can't pass, cross, probably can't take a proper shit.
It's Preki trying to confuse the opposition and instead just confuses our our guys by not keeping a regular starting XI.
I think this is why it looks like some of our guys have no idea of where to put the ball on a cross or have to look for a long time to find a TFC kit to pass to cause they don't know the movements of their own teammates.

Heart of Stone

He looks like a lawyer...

tfcleeds
Listening to Dobson and Forrest when their mikes were on at halftime = highlight of the night. Oh, and Preki trying to smash the camera.

Shakes McQueen
I can barely even look at this thread. I'm going to get another beer.

- Scott

GBV
09-08-2010, 09:58 PM
all we are sayiiiing ... is give us a goal.

sheesh.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-08-2010, 09:58 PM
^ What did they say?

GBV
09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Listening to Dobson and Forrest when their mikes were on at halftime = highlight of the night. Oh, and Preki trying to smash the camera.

what is the gist of what was said, if you don't mind?
i ran into the "tinkle" comment in the game thread.....

Heart of Stone
09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
What are the chances we get any points against Columbus at home?

nascarguy
09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Ljungburg must have felt foolish after missing ... he struggled to find someone to blame...
yeah where the hell was our d in that play

wzhxvy
09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
We're lucky we didnt lose today. I never thought we had a real chance to score other than that scramble where OBW shot it up and close and keeper saved it.

Oh and Mista is sick now ? I see I see.

reggie
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
MO...where is our DP???

GBV
sick of ... and so am i ....

tfcleeds
what is the gist of what was said, if you don't mind?
i ran into the "tinkle" comment in the game thread.....

Forrest took a bit of a shot at Mo, for one thing...

denime
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
That chance occurred because of a great diagonal run and an even better pass from a DP who can actually pass the ball and DP who can't finished. That coupled with Usanov's mistake to play him onside.

Regardless, I'm not talking about break aways only, I'm talking about playing some attacking footie which we have no knowledge of doing. You don't seem to disagree with me, so what's your beef? You just like quoting me for fun?

FIXED :D

We don't have players for some creative attacking footie and let's face it MLS is not about skill and creativity like SA or some European leagues anyway.

Roogsy
09-08-2010, 10:05 PM
all we are sayiiiing ... is give us a goal.

sheesh.

Sadly we may have to break out this chant at home.

ag futbol
09-08-2010, 10:05 PM

We don't have players for some creative attacking footie and let's face it MLS is not about skill and creativity like SA or some European leagues anyway.
Little simplistic IMO

Outside of the obvious examples like LA, NY and RSL ... there are some teams out there trying to play a more expansive game.

Certainly MLS is more skilled than the average player on our roster would suggest. What do you say about a team that can't find one good wide player?

Beach_Red
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM

What about the teams that are pulling away from the rest of the pack?

tfcleeds
Tie0tz7jGDI

Heart of Stone
Mista may have been partying in Yorkville ... possibly with Hedo...

Roogsy
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Tie0tz7jGDI

:lol:

Mora was the funniest character in the NFL. A complete loon.

tfcleeds
09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Around this time of year, the Mora rants seem to be especially timely for TFC :)

prizby
09-08-2010, 10:14 PM
regardless of how i feel about the no calls on the penalties

IF YOU CANT CREATE ANY SCORING OPPORTUNITIES...you are NOT going to win any games.

If the best we can do is off long throw ins, this is a sadddd cry for desperate help

nuff saiddd

boozilla
09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
1. I saw a lot of lame kick and run plays from TFC.
2. LaBrrocca seems like to only one who can put in a decent cross. Too bad no one can finish.
3.To date, we've scored a single goal from a Gargan throw in. It's a gimmick.
4. Any decent team has to be able to come through the middle. Preki doesn't get that.

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
This team has no speed, no creativity, it's like watching Scotland play.

Coincidentally, Mo is Scottish and I fucking hate him. HE MUST GO!

ag futbol
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes the long throw in thing needs to stop. It really irks me to the point where i wonder if our management team knows anything about modern football.

Every once in a while, fine. But we do it so often it's totally ineffective.

Darlofletch
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
hmmm, chicago? check. interesting refereeing decisions? check. Mexican DP? check. who was the ref, and where's Castillo's shirt?

prizby
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
1. I saw a lot of lame kick and run plays from TFC.
2. LaBrrocca seems like to only one who can put in a decent cross. Too bad no one can finish.
3.To date, we've scored a single goal from a Gargan throw in. It's a gimmick.
4. Any decent team has to be able to come through the middle. Preki doesn't get that.

i believe its at 2

reggie
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
last time i checked we need the odd goal to win...minor detail mo...

Davenport
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
This team has no speed, no creativity, it's like watching Scotland play.

Coincidentally, Mo is Scottish and I fucking hate him. HE MUST GO!

I saw the last 30 minutes of the second half and it was awful soccer.

Then there's Dobson and Forrest. Christ, they'd make the Hindenburg disaster sound boring.

denime
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
What about the teams that are pulling away from the rest of the pack?
What about them,are they better skilled and creative than SA or European clubs?I don't think so.
Our problem is(MO) our roster,just like Roogsy said it before grinders and runners.

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes the long throw in thing needs to stop. It really irks me to the point where i wonder if our management team knows anything about modern football.

Every once in a while, fine. But we do it so often it's totally ineffective.

I'd have loved to see the long throw-in when Dichio was playing.

Darlofletch
09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I was a lot happier with today's game, we went with a more attacking formation, and really took it to them, we were all over them to start, maybe a bit too aggressive given all the fouls.

So I'm not going to blame Preki the coach here, and given the non-calls, I'm even ready to buy the bad luck/no bounces thing today.

I'll definitely blame Mo and Preki for the fact that we had obie and peterson up front. Yeah, injuries happen, but our depth players are terrible, and Mista's injured? I wouldn't even goive that a 50/50 chance of being true, i look forward to what people's anonymous inside sources have to say about that.

For about 20 minutes after Santos came on we looked like we might score, because we were still going for it, and now actually had some extra quality to go with the quantity. he eventually ran out of gas, and the subs of garcia andd nanae was clearly preki settling for the point late on, but for a while there we showed the potential we were showing against Motagua and chivas before the injuries. If Santos can get fully healthy and barrett come back we'll look ok up front.

As for today, that was probably the best we could do with the players at our disposal and without luck on the calls, so well done coach preki, if not co-gm preki and man-manager preki.

TFC USA
09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I saw the last 30 minutes of the second half and it was awful soccer.

Then there's Dobson and Forrest. Christ, they'd make the Hindenburg disaster sound boring.

And it appears...the airship has exploded...pardon me that's Attakora on the dribble.

Davenport
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I'd have loved to see the long throw-in when Dichio was playing.

Agreed....White couldn't head a department.

Super
09-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I think that a lack of creativity is indeed our problem - and not just today, but in every game since day one. This is why we've always struggled so hard to score goals. When you play a slow, predictable type of football, it's easy for even poor teams to keep us in check. I don't think this will change with the current management, coach and squad. But sure, I'll ride out this season and hope for the best - throwing logic to the side as best I can. Hopefully next year will be better. I plan on renewing my tickets on the deadline day - and not a day before.

reggie
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
i can hear mista saying"holy fuck coach enough with the long throw-in's"
and pricki says "go home your not playing tonight"

Beach_Red
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
What about them,are they better skilled and creative than SA or European clubs?I don't think so.
Our problem is(MO) our roster,just like Roogsy said it before grinders and runners.

Well, I voted both Mo and Preki in the other thread because since last November this has really been Preki's team and he brought in a lot of grinders. It's funny, the problem last year was allowing goals in the final 10-15 minutes of a game - if they had just stopped a few of those everything would be different.

Red Rat
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey boys, I was gone for a bit...
I have been looking for my Machete, didn't find it but I found my axe.

I am ready for Saturday just in case I bump into someone..

reggie
09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
our defence isnt any better then last year,its frei who is saving our asses this season...i dont see what pricki has done to make our d any better this season,we lead the league in allowed shots...

Roogsy
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
our defence isnt any better then last year,its frei who is saving our asses this season...i dont see what pricki has done to make our d any better this season,we lead the league in allowed shots...

Ok on this one, I gotta disagree wholeheartedly.

Preki has absolutely devastated this team's offensive abilities, and I am profoundly upset at him for it.

BUT

Preki has absolutely every reason to take credit for making this team better on the defensive end bringing in players like Cann who have shown a better ability to man the backline than a utility player like Serioux, as much as I loved the guy. Frei hasn't had to make nearly as many spectacular saves this year as he did last year.

algieb
09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
tfc the journeyman team ,we are and always will be the same as long as pricky is here look forward to the same creativity next year these are the players he and mo picked for tfc a complete new team from carvers years,no mid that can see openings and throw long balls wide , no wingers to supply any striker,white and peterson up front ffs the 2 off them could not score in a brothel with a million dols each,the gloss is coming off bmo field rapidly a blind man can see this,tics are harder to sell now iff you cant make the game,last year and the year before you had no problem ,you can only fool the people so long.

ag futbol
09-08-2010, 10:57 PM
I just can't shake the fact that Mista was not with the team today.

We pick up a DP mid season. Bravo to MLSE for throwing down the money. Now don't they actually want him to play? to impact the game? To get something back for the money they extended Johnston?

At the rate we are going this guy is going to come and go without anyone even noticing he was here.

reggie
09-08-2010, 11:00 PM

Preki has absolutely devastated this team's offensive abilities, and I am profoundly upset at him for it.

BUT

Preki has absolutely every reason to take credit for making this team better on the defensive end bringing in players like Cann who have shown a better ability to man the backline than a utility player like Serioux, as much as I loved the guy. Frei hasn't had to make nearly as many spectacular saves this year as he did last year.
they may look better...and cann has been great...but they are protected by 2 sometimes 3 d midfielders..deguz ,saric, nane,thats why they have no offence..and frei has made 3 last min saves to earn victory at home this season.

Darlofletch
09-08-2010, 11:06 PM

BUT

they may look better...and cann has been great...but they are protected by 2 sometimes 3 d midfielders..deguz ,saric, nane,thats why they have no offence..and frei has made 3 last min saves to earn victory at home this season.

Yes, but having those dm's there is preki's decision though right? thus preki has improved the defending of the team as a whole. because of that the offence is very reliant on individual players making things happen, and when we lose as much of our forward line as we have recently, well you see what happens, but those dm's and renewed emhasis on team defence is why we're better defensively, and better or worse, that's down to Preki.

reggie
09-08-2010, 11:15 PM
true..i give credit to pricki for that...the roster limitations are mo's fault..
bottomline...we had a better record last season and this team is unwatchable.
i jus want to be entertained.

Brooker
09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Whoever survives MO's 5 years plan called "destroy TFC support" will be a true TFC Supporter for life.:drinking:

I laugh every time I see somebody say they're gonna give up their seasons or stop watching TFC until they get better. Bless the little glory hunters. :)

algieb
09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
we will not be entertained as long as pricky is in chargehis teams are all about defence stopping not entertainment for the fans,he has to go with mo dont let the roster fool u pricky had a big say in the roster

Boondaddy
09-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Best part of tonights match was watching Freddie suck shit out there...what an annoying bitch.

habstfc
09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
At least they (TFC) didn't lose.

reggie
09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
its funny...2 of the better players CANN and GARGAN were let go in camp and were brought back at the start of the season because of the lack of players in camp ..what a fluke that was.

Darlofletch
09-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I laugh every time I see somebody say they're gonna give up their seasons or stop watching TFC until they get better. Bless the little glory hunters. :)

TFC is sadly providing much inspiration for my blog.

here's my take on today's game, that's a mega juggling act! (http://www.cruelgeography.com/2010/09/thats-mega-juggling-act.html)

Also featuring our playoff chances as interpreted by the black knight.

phonzo
09-08-2010, 11:51 PM
finally a minute to sit down and write down this thought...

we suck

Blizzard
09-09-2010, 12:23 AM
its funny...2 of the better players CANN and GARGAN were let go in camp and were brought back at the start of the season because of the lack of players in camp ..what a fluke that was.

That's totally untrue. I don't recall the Gargan situation but with Cann, he wasn't cut (and I really don't think Gargan was either). In Cann's situation, he was with the team for a pre-set period of time and then left while contract negotiations took place.

Just because a player left camp, it doesn't mean he was cut. There comes a point in time when the agent has to take over and the player has to go take care of personal things.

J .
09-09-2010, 12:24 AM
They almost expect to not score. I want defensive football, I but this lack of production is scary.

OBW isnt the guy. Seriously. Peterson is a bench player.

These dogs wont hunt and TFC cant score.

GBV
09-09-2010, 05:27 AM
I just can't shake the fact that Mista was not with the team today.

We pick up a DP mid season. Bravo to MLSE for throwing down the money. Now don't they actually want him to play? to impact the game? To get something back for the money they extended Johnston?

At the rate we are going this guy is going to come and go without anyone even noticing he was here.

and do we even get a solid reason for his absence?
(bullshit or otherwise?)
from what i saw, it was just left to forrest to vaguely mention that maybe he got a "knock."
much like the swatting of the camera last night, these dudes are oh so very BUSH LEAGUE.

Brooker
09-09-2010, 05:34 AM
much like the swatting of the camera last night, these dudes are oh so very BUSH LEAGUE.

I thought it was hilarious. Dunno how it's bush league.

GBV
09-09-2010, 05:36 AM
hilarious?
maybe.
bush league?
beyond.

Brooker
09-09-2010, 05:37 AM
He's beyond furious. You stick a camera in his face. What else could happen? "Excuse me sir, can you please move the camera, I'm trying to coach here." nah man it's "Get the fuck out of the way!" :D

GBV
09-09-2010, 05:40 AM
suck it up and ignore it, instead of reacting like a petulant 12 year old.

denime
09-09-2010, 05:41 AM
He's beyond furious. You stick a camera in his face. What else could happen? "Excuse me sir, can you please move the camera, I'm trying to coach here." nah man it's "Get the fuck out of the way!" :D
yeah and I'm sure most of us would do the same.:incazzato:

GBV
09-09-2010, 05:42 AM
on another note, andrea lombardo scored last night.
maybe he can help us up front?
:(

Yeoman
09-09-2010, 06:29 AM
naw the prick wouldn't say hi to me earlier this year

Ossington Mental Youth
09-09-2010, 06:58 AM
thought we played relatively well (man people are hard on this team, have you suddenly forgotten about how shit we can play? this was nothing like that)

also though OBW had a decent game, if he showed up more often like tonight he would prob score as well as be able to keep his job, i just dont see it happening (i would be afraid he goes elsewhere and shows up regularly like tonight and pulls a cunny)

London
09-09-2010, 07:02 AM
not a bad game but definitly needed the 3 points,

they must beat DC and houston to have a chance

TFC_Central
09-09-2010, 07:09 AM
23-7 fouls? Uh huh.

2 handballs inside the box, no call.... Uh huh.

as if tfc getting shafted on hand balls is anything new. I can easily think of 5-10 games from past years ......remember dallas a few years a ago (serioux) and later on in houston, this time a goal was disallowed. MLS & concacaf is just a big joke. Until the rpb, nee, usec get some balls. Unite as one solid supporting unit in the south end. Your voices will just be a bunch of murmuring echoes from different corners of BMO. I mean common people 3 chants at once!!! :drinking::D:picard:

maninb
09-09-2010, 07:39 AM
All these people saying Preki must go aren't thinking it through....Tell me what decent manager would come here knowing that he has 6 months to turn a team around or else the "supporters" will be braying for his head and asking that he be fired...Give it a rest...Preki deserves another year without Mo...

menefreghista
09-09-2010, 07:46 AM
All these people saying Preki must go aren't thinking it through....Tell me what decent manager would come here knowing that he has 6 months to turn a team around or else the "supporters" will be braying for his head and asking that he be fired...Give it a rest...Preki deserves another year without Mo...

And keeping a bad coach in longer just prolongs the misery.

What has Preki shown people that he warrants another year?

If we give him another year we will simply bring in more shit players like Peterson.

Is that what we want?

This 'give him another year' bullshit is the same line of thinking that has allowed the inept Mo Johnston to stay with this team so long.

If you are going down the wrong path, you don't give the guy leading you there more time, you cut ties as soon as possible.

maninb
09-09-2010, 07:57 AM
^ Anybody who thinks a coach should be given 6 months to turn a team around or be automatically fired doesn't know a thing about football...Who says it was Preki who brought in Peterson and not Mo? It's pure speculation...sure there's things that piss me off about Preki...cutting Cronin, and his treatment of Mista being 2 of them, but this automatically firing a coach every year is just NONSENSE!

menefreghista
09-09-2010, 08:02 AM
^ Anybody who thinks a coach should be given 6 months to turn a team around or be automatically fired doesn't know a thing about football...Who says it was Preki who brought in Peterson and not Mo? It's pure speculation...sure there's things that piss me off about Preki...cutting Cronin, and his treatment of Mista being 2 of them, but this automatically firing a coach every year is just NONSENSE!

We are a team with one of the highest payrolls in the league. We aren't rebuilding. We are just haphazardly rotating our roster as always. Except now we replace more technical players with hard workers.

How can the coach not be responsible for his results? I'm not saying Preki should be fired today. But I don't think he deserves another chance if we miss the playoffs.

Oldtimer
09-09-2010, 08:03 AM

When you clean house, you clean house. The new GM should bring in his guy.

Conversely, if Mo manages to hang on, Preki should stay.

maninb
09-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Mo HAS TO GO...no matter what....my main point is that no decent manager would want to come here knowing he has only 1 year to turn the team around or be automatically fired like many "supporters" here think is a sound policy...the new GM should be given one year to work with Preki and if it fails then let him get his own man...

v00d00daddy
09-09-2010, 08:26 AM
We are a team with one of the highest payrolls in the league. We aren't rebuilding. We are just haphazardly rotating our roster as always. Except now we replace more technical players with hard workers.

How can the coach not be responsible for his results? I'm not saying Preki should be fired today. But I don't think he deserves another chance if we miss the playoffs.

Which "technical" players did we replace with hard workers?

After Guevara...who else was there?

Wynne? Serioux? Cronin?

Which one of these guys would have made TFC the offensive juggernaut everybody wants them to be?

Preki has this team playing a system. Plain and simple. Which is more than we've ever had before.

Now....if you want to argue the merits of the system then I get it.

If you want to talk about his treatment of players..I get it.

But please don't tell me that we don't look like a more cohesive unit than we've ever looked before.

We're better when it comes to conceding goals. Now we just need to get better at scoring goals.

That lies on Mo's shoulders if you ask me. OBW? Really? Ibrahim? Barrett?

Mista doesn't play and Maicon is hurt...so that's what we have left.

It's sad when Chad Barrett becomes one of your best scoring options.

That's nobody's fault but Mo's.

I hope Mo goes...Preki stays and let's see what we've got.

maninb
09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
^ well said...

Juanito
09-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Why isn't Mista playing? A row?

billyfly
09-09-2010, 08:47 AM
0-2-3 in last 5 does not a playoff chase make

__wowza
09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
labrocca needs to stop shooting.
that's my only input on this game.

reggie
09-09-2010, 09:24 AM
That's totally untrue. I don't recall the Gargan situation but with Cann, he wasn't cut (and I really don't think Gargan was either). In Cann's situation, he was with the team for a pre-set period of time and then left while contract negotiations took place.

Just because a player left camp, it doesn't mean he was cut. There comes a point in time when the agent has to take over and the player has to go take care of personal things.

re...your name sake..BLIZZARD.

I miss those days...the jomo's, the ace's,the bryne's,.
i still got my blizzard flag at my house....

Pachuco
09-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I can't bare to watch anynmore 0-0 ties and a clueless coach with a clueless defensive mindset. A mindset that has rewarded Frei with the most shots to deal with in the MLS and a mindset that has failed to win games. A mindset that has seen us play at times worst then year 1. I didn't want major change last year. Didn't even mind if we kept Cummins. This year I want change, serious change. It starts with Mo and follows with Preki. After that I want to see guys like Peterson, OBW, Mista, Usanov, Hscanovic, Garcia take a hike. Never want to see them wearing a red jersey again. Even Labrocca and Saric are on the bubble for me. The way this team is built is dreadful to watch. Can't do it anymore. This Preki mentality of no name plumbers cannot go on for another year.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 09:32 AM
naw the prick wouldn't say hi to me earlier this year

:lol:

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 09:34 AM

6 months? By the time the MLS Cup gets here, he will have been here a full year.

By your rationale, we should have kept Cummins too because he had a whole lot less time.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
labrocca needs to stop shooting.
that's my only input on this game.

No way...the opposite. He had one of the few real opportunities on net. This team doesn't shoot ENOUGH.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
In other words, Preki has tried to form a cohesive unit to the best of his abilities with the players at his disposal, which is a function of the general manager, not the coach. If TFC had a competent GM that was able to stockpile a reasonable pool of talent prior to the start of the season I believe Preki would be capable of yielding results and leading this club into the playoffs.

I call BS on this. Preki has exactly the squad he asked for. There was more player movement this offseason than there ever was before. This team was in a position to make a playoff run taking last year's results into consideration. All he needed was "tweak" the team, instead he blew it up and started from scratch and he deserves MORE time? This whole "players at his disposal" excuse doesn't fly. What other players was he going to move? DeRo? Frei? Attakora? JDG? Barrett? That's pretty much it from the leftovers of last year.

reggie
09-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I can't bare to watch anynmore 0-0 ties and a clueless coach with a clueless defensive mindset. A mindset that has rewarded Frei with the most shots to deal with in the MLS and a mindset that has failed to win games. A mindset that has seen us play at times worst then year 1. I didn't want major change last year. Didn't even mind if we kept Cummins. This year I want change, serious change. It starts with Mo and follows with Preki. After that I want to see guys like Peterson, OBW, Mista, Usanov, Hscanovic, Garcia take a hike. Never want to see them wearing a red jersey again. Even Labrocca and Saric are on the bubble for me. The way this team is built is dreadful to watch. Can't do it anymore. This Preki mentality of no name plumbers cannot go on for another year.
its all a plan by MO to make frei look good so that he can sell him at the end of the season and a put another 5 mil in the pockets of mlse:D
i dont think mo is going anywhere...

Dbl_D
09-09-2010, 09:44 AM
on a side note... how about those fancy advertising signboards... I wondered if anyone noticed at one poi,nt I'm not sure what advert it was... but the way the TV camera was focused on the game (throw in i believe) the signage on show'd

'the pot Bush'...

subliminal message? hopefully i can find some vid of it... haha

reggie
09-09-2010, 09:51 AM
any news on lastnights MISTARY....where was he??

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Which "technical" players did we replace with hard workers?

After Guevara...who else was there?

Wynne? Serioux? Cronin?

We're better when it comes to conceding goals. Now we just need to get better at scoring goals.

That lies on Mo's shoulders if you ask me. OBW? Really? Ibrahim? Barrett?

Mista doesn't play and Maicon is hurt...so that's what we have left.

It's sad when Chad Barrett becomes one of your best scoring options.

That's nobody's fault but Mo's.

I hope Mo goes...Preki stays and let's see what we've got.

Well not technical but some of those players were definitely specialist. Wynne- Running fast and crossing poorly. Serioux- Hard as Fuck and helluva throw-in.:D

We may be conceding goals but it's a stretch to say it's worse than years past. You've said yourself it's out lack of scoring that's the problem. We're not conceding more we're doing less to counter goals against.

You're blaming Mo for everything? I hope that doesn't include OBW playing and Barrett, Mista and Nana not.

I give Preki to the end of this season. Absolutely.

Lucky Strike
09-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Mo HAS TO GO...no matter what....my main point is that no decent manager would want to come here knowing he has only 1 year to turn the team around or be automatically fired like many "supporters" here think is a sound policy...the new GM should be given one year to work with Preki and if it fails then let him get his own man...

Very well said - I'm baffled by the number of people who seem to think that firing Preki after one year is a good idea. We've always screamed for consistency because we see it's one of the team's problems. Well then how is going to be getting a 5th coach in 5 years going to help that? Every new coach wants to have his own system with his own players so that would mean more revolving doors.

No, the squad this year is less talented than in 2009 but for that very reason Preki deserves to stay. Contradictory? Not at all. My huge problem with Cummins last year (aside from a severe of tactical acumen) was that he never got close to getting the best out of the squad. This year, Preki has built a less talented team but gets them to perform above what you would think they're capable of. What's more they work harder, for each other and we are much more solid defensively. If you remove the pieces that aren't working - such as White, Peterson, Ibrahim, Garcia (though he's vastly improved, he makes too much money), Hscanovics and to a certain extent, LaBrocca and Saric, you can improve the squad without having to blow everything up (YET AGAIN - it's too easy and simplistic to demand a complete overhaul). These last two have had good games but can equally be ineffective. Like LaBrocca last night was outright useless for instance.

Anyway to sum up, Preki should definitely not be fired at year's end if we miss the playoffs. Mo should definitely go we all agree. But if next year Preki can't identify the deadweight and move to correct it and we miss the playoffs again - then we have a case for his dismissal.

It's too convenient to just get out the pitchforks and demand things. And demanding Preki's dismissal is not understanding what's best for the club.

gtaguy
09-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I have tried to keep quiet for some time now but i can't face watching this futility no more.

1. where the hell is this DP Mo and Preki scouted.. (how many goals does Mista have since he's been in toronto). Excuses. Not in game shape , little playing time, injuries etc etc.. (so why did you sign him??)
2. Preki started the season by changing players and a scheme that suited him and its not working. he seems clueless or just out of answers .
3. This club has no depth and while the teams that did dig deep, scouted properly and brought half decent players are getting the job done.
4 Mo Johnston is a Joke and needs to be expelled from the Toronto landscape, If Preki must go aswell so be it.

5 I can't believe I'm saying this but I do miss chad barret in the biggest way..

rocker
09-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Very well said - I'm baffled by the number of people who seem to think that firing Preki after one year is a good idea. We've always screamed for consistency because we see it's one of the team's problems. Well then how is going to be getting a 5th coach in 5 years going to help that? Every new coach wants to have his own system with his own players so that would mean more revolving doors.

No, the squad this year is less talented than in 2009 but for that very reason Preki deserves to stay. Contradictory? Not at all. My huge problem with Cummins last year (aside from a severe of tactical acumen) was that he never got close to getting the best out of the squad. This year, Preki has built a less talented team but gets them to perform above what you would think they're capable of. What's more they work harder, for each other and we are much more solid defensively. If you remove the pieces that aren't working - such as White, Peterson, Ibrahim, Garcia (though he's vastly improved, he makes too much money), Hscanovics and to a certain extent, LaBrocca and Saric, you can improve the squad without having to blow everything up (YET AGAIN - it's too easy and simplistic to demand a complete overhaul). These last two have had good games but can equally be ineffective. Like LaBrocca last night was outright useless for instance.

This makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't have a problem with dumping Mo and giving Preki the reins of the GM job. If Bruce Arena can do it, Preki can do it. Then it's all on Preki for 2011.

Beach_Red
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with dumping Mo and giving Preki the reins of the GM job. If Bruce Arena can do it, Preki can do it. Then it's all on Preki for 2011.

Suppose last November Preki had been made coach and GM instead of just coach - would the team by any different today?

Lucky Strike
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Suppose last November Preki had been made coach and GM instead of just coach - would the team by any different today?

Probably not substantially to make a real difference, but the point remains valid. You can't keep up this policy of one-and-you're-done and expect to have success. Had he also been GM, I'd continue to argue he should keep his job.

rocker
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM

Who knows? That's hypothetical. I would need to know what role MoJo has been playing in player signings.

But by making Preki GM you give him a second chance while not rewarding Mojo with 5 years on the job.

I mean, I'm shocked that people would only give Preki 1 year to prove himself.

Beach_Red
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Who knows? That's hypothetical. I would need to know what role MoJo has been playing in player signings.

But by making Preki GM you give him a second chance while not rewarding Mojo with 5 years on the job.

I mean, I'm shocked that people would only give Preki 1 year to prove himself.

From what I've seen here people have some specific reasons why they're unhappy with Preki - the kind of players he brought in and the type of system he's putting in place and so on, so it's not just the fact the team hasn't won enough games in one year.

Now, if you think his style will start to pay off with more wins next years, that's different, but it's unlikely the talent level on the team will improve too much.

bgnewf
09-09-2010, 10:41 AM
The 23 fouls stood out to me as a glaring statistic on how bad this official was. Another interesting tidbit that to me showed truly how poor TFC is up front is the amount of corners we earned.

TFC has been the worst club in MLS this season to date in earning corners and has been first in conceding them. Last night TFC earned seven corners which was by their standards quite good. That to me spoke to how bad Chicago was at the back and how poor TFC was in not converting any of their chances into goals.

rocker
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
From what I've seen here people have some specific reasons why they're unhappy with Preki - the kind of players he brought in and the type of system he's putting in place and so on, so it's not just the fact the team hasn't won enough games in one year.
Now, if you think his style will start to pay off with more wins next years, that's different, but it's unlikely the talent level on the team will improve too much.

That assumes Preki is happy with the talent level he's got, that he wouldn't want to improve on his talent level. I think that's a very strange assumption.

Preki blew up last year's roster. Sigi Schmidt blew up Columbus and failed to make the playoffs for two seasons. But TFC fans want it in 1 season because MoJo has failed in three seasons. But that has nothing to do with Preki.

That's why I say give Preki a second season. He has nothing to do with the past.

__wowza
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
No way...the opposite. He had one of the few real opportunities on net. This team doesn't shoot ENOUGH.

i believe the players who CAN shoot, don't shoot enough. labrocca doesn't have a decent foot on him, the only goal he scored this season was fluke enough, but he just can't cut it blasting shots out from 30 yards.

i agree we don't shoot enough, but some of the ones he took yesterday could've been moved up into space.

gtaguy
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
The 23 fouls stood out to me as a glaring statistic on how bad this official was. Another interesting tidbit that to me showed truly how poor TFC is up front is the amount of corners we earned.

TFC has been the worst club in MLS this season to date in earning corners and has been first in conceding them. Last night TFC earned seven corners which was by their standards quite good. That to me spoke to how bad Chicago was at the back and how poor TFC was in not converting any of their chances into goals.

Excellent points bgnewf

Beach_Red
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
That assumes Preki is happy with the talent level he's got.

It assumes that of the players available he brought in the ones he felt would best suit his system.

There have been all kinds of rifts and rumours surrounding this team from the very beginning but this year there's been no hint of any conflicts between what Preki wanted and what he got.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM

I was surprised at the number of corners we had. Definitely higher than normal (which in itself points to a problem with the team) but because we take them so rarely, we are also so very poor at execution.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
It assumes that of the players available he brought in the ones he felt would best suit his system.

There have been all kinds of rifts and rumours surrounding this team from the very beginning but this year there's been no hint of any conflicts between what Preki wanted and what he got.

Yup...

v00d00daddy
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM

The way I see it is things have to be done in stages.

Some people want us to be better defensively, tough to play against, and attractive going forward in scoring.

Well it doesn't work that way. You don't change 3/4 of the team (which we did in the off season) and expect to come back and cover off all facets of the game in 2/3 of a season.

I hope the talent level next year will be a little better in terms of going forward and scoring. For me that means one more player. A midfield general/distributor of the ball.

I think that's the only thing missing for us to begin to be consistently successful. Not necessarily a championship team but better.

Like I said, we're playing a system now. It seems like the guys know what their role is in terms of keeping the ball out of our net. Now we need to see them build on going forward.

It can be done.

Fire the coach and we start from square one with zero guarantee that we'd be better.

I say give him the rest of the season..at the very least.

If you wanna fire him now...well what can I say...it's a ridiculous thought.

supersaint
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Well, as far as I am concerned, Preki is slowly but surely putting the nails on the coffin for football here in Toronto. His style of football is not only preventing us from attracting new fans, it is turning off too many seasoned supporters. Christ, last year we were one game away from the playoffs, I do not think that it was unreasonable to expect a new coach to get us over that hump!!!
He has the team fitter, he has the grafters grafting even harder, but he has no tactical acumen to create openings for the front men. He seems unable to improve the playing ability of our young forwards, OBW, IBRAHIM,SANYANG, are not getting any better.
So, my feeling is this, ok keep him on another season, and watch the attendance continue to dwindle, the media coverage dwindle, and no skilful DP being added.
He still doesnt know how to best play DeRo, or JDG.
I am angry because I love this team, and I hate seeing it being destroyed. We are a bit better at the back, but having said that, how many goals have we allowed this season that were caused by mistakes at the back, or defensive lapses. I would suggest more than half our goals against.
If I was signing on as a new GM I would want my own coach, I think Preki would be very difficult to manage, and it seems like it is his way or the highway, and as I have said before Preki will NEVER coach an MLS cup winning side, that I can guarantee. How far did Chivas go in the playoffs?

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
^ This...

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, as far as I am concerned, Preki is slowly but surely putting the nails on the coffin for football here in Toronto. His style of football is not only preventing us from attracting new fans, it is turning off too many seasoned supporters. Christ, last year we were one game away from the playoffs, I do not think that it was unreasonable to expect a new coach to get us over that hump!!!
He has the team fitter, he has the grafters grafting even harder, but he has no tactical acumen to create openings for the front men. He seems unable to improve the playing ability of our young forwards, OBW, IBRAHIM,SANYANG, are not getting any better.
So, my feeling is this, ok keep him on another season, and watch the attendance continue to dwindle, the media coverage dwindle, and no skilful DP being added.
He still doesnt know how to best play DeRo, or JDG.
I am angry because I love this team, and I hate seeing it being destroyed. We are a bit better at the back, but having said that, how many goals have we allowed this season that were caused by mistakes at the back, or defensive lapses. I would suggest more than half our goals against.
If I was signing on as a new GM I would want my own coach, I think Preki would be very difficult to manage, and it seems like it is his way or the highway, and as I have said before Preki will NEVER coach an MLS cup winning side, that I can guarantee. How far did Chivas go in the playoffs?

Destroying Toronto? You're saying we're worse off than previous years? We haven't looked like we're making the playoffs which isn't destroying the team it's not improving it.

Did you watch that game last night? DALLAS is being destroyed. Toronto is NOT IMPROVING enough.

Redpunkfiddle
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Have I missed any discussion of the mysterious Mista "injury/illness"?

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah it's about as well documented as Nana's on Saturday...

ManUtd4ever
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I call BS on this. Preki has exactly the squad he asked for. There was more player movement this offseason than there ever was before. This team was in a position to make a playoff run taking last year's results into consideration. All he needed was "tweak" the team, instead he blew it up and started from scratch and he deserves MORE time? This whole "players at his disposal" excuse doesn't fly. What other players was he going to move? DeRo? Frei? Attakora? JDG? Barrett? That's pretty much it from the leftovers of last year.

Doh, I posted my response to Shakes poll in this thread by mistake. I'll respond to your post in the proper thread...

Ossington Mental Youth
09-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Anyway to sum up, Preki should definitely not be fired at year's end if we miss the playoffs. Mo should definitely go we all agree. But if next year Preki can't identify the deadweight and move to correct it and we miss the playoffs again - then we have a case for his dismissal.

It's too convenient to just get out the pitchforks and demand things. And demanding Preki's dismissal is not understanding what's best for the club.

very well said, im behind this statement

supersaint
09-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Destroying Toronto? You're saying we're worse off than previous years? We haven't looked like we're making the playoffs which isn't destroying the team it's not improving it.

Ok so destroying may be a bit harsh, but I am concerned that the style of play is not going to win over any new fans, and is turning off existing ones. I do not think that it was too much to ask for a new coach to improve results over the previous season. And yes, it has been very difficult to sell some of my extra tix esp as the season progressess. The team needed tinkering with maybe, but not a complete overhaul. Frankly, I am surprised that you are not also up in arms over the lack of improvement in the standings, the lack of improvement up front, the lack of flair, the apathy that is starting to creep in to the Toronto sports circuit in regards to the team, I am worried that we are starting to become irrelevant to the average sports fan in town. And this is a market that was crying out for a successful team. I just hope I am wrong, but if we do not make the playoffs this year, I think there will be LOTS of empty seats next season, and for that I do put a lot of the blame on Preki.

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Frankly, I am surprised that you are not also up in arms over the lack of improvement in the standings, the lack of improvement up front, the lack of flair, the apathy that is starting to creep in to the Toronto sports circuit in regards to the team, I am worried that we are starting to become irrelevant to the average sports fan in town. And this is a market that was crying out for a successful team. I just hope I am wrong, but if we do not make the playoffs this year, I think there will be LOTS of empty seats next season, and for that I do put a lot of the blame on Preki.[/quote]

SS there are more people talking about us in a casual way then ever before in my experience. I take a lot from people asking how the team is doing since one can tell by their tone it's no longer a fad. It's accepted as part of the sports landscape here by more and more people.

That doesn't translate into a full stadium when expectations rise from casuals, as you've stated, but it's the exception in this league, not the rule, to sellout every match.

Darlofletch
09-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I voted Mo for one simple reason; I don't hold Preki responsible for the glaring lack of depth that has sent this team into a downward spiral since our top 2 strikers were injured. In my opinion, TFC was playing fairly solid football until the loss of Barrett and Santos and the club just hasn't been able to compensate due to a lack of options on the bench. ...

That right there. I'd say you can split the season into four seperate chunks.

1) first few weeks of the season, new players arriving so effectively no pre-season, we're a bit of a mess, letting in a lot of goals, and not really effective going forward, a bit chaotic and just up to individuals to get any goals. De Ro thrived in this environment and earned us a few points, but let's face it we were a mess.

2)late april/early may-early june. The squad's more settled, Preki's system kicks in, Cann arrives and really helps out the defence. With varying sucess (rsl away being the obvious fuck up) Preki figures out who his starters are and aren't, and we look solid defensively, if only sporadically successful up front. We have a lot of home games that helped, but also get results away at LA and San Jose, and wrap up the v-cup with no drama. all in all we're looking good, and with Barrett starting to score some goals, we're less reliant on de ro.

3) post world cup break- santos/barrett injury. we don't really get it going after the break, and though still good defensively, we're struggling up front and the need for an improvement on white is obvious. So we birng in Santos and Mista. Maicon helps out instantly, Mista doesn't play much, but looks very creative in the space behind the front two. We're far from the finished article, especially away from home, but we put in some good performances, especially against Motagua and look really good against chivas. Preki's system, plus more talented players looks a good combination.

4) post injuries. Aside form the red bull fiasco, we're still defensively solid, but we're awful up front, White isn't good enough, neither is ibbe or peterson, Mista and De Ro struggle without good forwards to distract the defence. Preki's system without enough talented players really isn't good enough.

so all in all, speaking strictly as a coach, i'm happy with prekinot ecsatatic by any means, as he doesn't seem to have a good plan b to have used over the last few games, and injuries are always going to happen, but happy, b-, maybe c+.

He's presumbably had input into player signings and such like, and in that area, we're woefully thin when it comes to forwards who can make a difference within the defence first sytem, so i'm not happy with him and Mo there.

Player relations, I'm really intrigues to fin out the full story with Mista, but it doesn't look good.

Overall, Keep Preki as coach, and hopefully next year our squad will be a) more or less in place in pre season, and b), improved with better signings, even if it is just a case of getting rid of some dead wood form this year and trying a bunch out and seeing who sticks. Starting all over again would not be helpful imo.

canadian_bhoy
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm just really glad that we brought in Ali Gerba to push Danny Dichio out of his position, then decided to force DD into retirement. It's worked out really well for us up front ever since.

Hitcho
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Darlo - can you see us ever winning anything other than the V-Cup under Preki? I mean, do you believe he could lead this team to an MLS Cup or CCL final victory? Not will, but could.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm just really glad that we brought in Ali Gerba to push Danny Dichio out of his position, then decided to force DD into retirement. It's worked out really well for us up front ever since.

cuz an aging oft injured dichio would have lasted a long time anyways

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2010, 01:19 PM

And I was going to go with

Then you'd be stuck with Mo as he'd have got us into the promised playoffs with a quick exit, then Dichio would retire at the end of the season.

How is Gerba doing right now? Anything like Cunningham? Buddle?

Just sayin'

Pachuco
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Oh my god, you would promote a guy who doesn't even have a good reputation in the league? a guy who's NEVER been in that role before. That right there was the problem with signing Mo and you want to repeat the same mistake again?

Darlofletch
09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Darlo - can you see us ever winning anything other than the V-Cup under Preki? I mean, do you believe he could lead this team to an MLS Cup or CCL final victory? Not will, but could.

I think it's possible. It may be that he's only good to be the guy who gets a good system in place and a well disciplined culture in the club, and then someone else comes in to add that little extra that pushes us to greater glory.

But it could be that preki would do that, as i said, we had a glaring need, and he brought players in that really helped, then injuries gutted it.

I don't think any manager has a 100% success record with new signings, so some of the cureent team will have to go, and hopefullt the new players will improve the squad.

Expecting him to take a team that was apparently way over salary cap and with major dressing room disruption, thus needing a fairly major blow up, and get it into a good defensive club and an attacking force at the same time, within his first season is a bit much.

IMO, we're on the right track, there's work still to be done obviously, will preki do that? he might. could he? yes. we'll see, and i;'m willing to give him a chance so that we can see.

Beach_Red
09-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Then you'd be stuck with Mo as he'd have got us into the promised playoffs with a quick exit, then Dichio would retire at the end of the season.

Just sayin'

This makes me think of the post about Brennan and Dichio being "groomed." Mo had pretty much zero experience when he started at TFC so this is the organization that "groomed" him - it kind of looks like he was taught the Leafs' method of doing things; let the fans run players out of town and reward their favourites.

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2010, 01:57 PM
The What Method of doing things? I live in a footie bubble..

bgnewf
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
A few thoughts on the draw last night in Chicago

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/09/chicago-corners-tfc-drops-more-points-on-the-road/

werewolf
09-09-2010, 04:00 PM
There have been 175 other thoughts without having to go to another website :noidea:

jloome
09-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Just sayin'

Gerba has five goals in his last two games, I believe.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Cunningham, Gerba and Buddle. 3 years, 3 strikers who we all classified as shit and were shipped out and have done exceedingly well after they left.

The problem is TFC, not the players.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 04:43 PM
There have been 175 other thoughts without having to go to another website :noidea:

Nobody is putting a gun to your head to click on the link.

Roogsy
09-09-2010, 04:46 PM
A few thoughts on the draw last night in Chicago

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/09/chicago-corners-tfc-drops-more-points-on-the-road/

Going into last night, Toronto FC led all of Major League Soccer in the number of corner kick conceded. And that has been the state of affairs since early on in the season. It is not out of the ordinary to see TFC give up 8-10 corners a game (with last evening being a rare exception). This in my opinion speaks to the fact that Toronto FC has had next to no “real” wing play all season, and this leads our defenders to have to try and absorb periods of sustained pressure that lead to far more corners being conceded. Furthermore because they play so much of their play through the middle of the pitch

Bang on. That's strategy. That's on the coach.

The bolded part especially. Pachuco pointed to a "predictable style" which is so accurate when looking at TFC's play. Every minute of possession is identical to the last period of possession. Identical. They are all now melting into one big memory of how TFC behaves when they have possession of the ball.

BTW, you forgot the period at the end of pitch. LOL! Yes, I am that much of a douche.

TFC Cityboy
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Cunningham, Gerba and Buddle. 3 years, 3 strikers who we all classified as shit and were shipped out and have done exceedingly well after they left.

QFT

rocker
09-09-2010, 06:14 PM

The only one that fits the argument is Buddle.

I can't let Cunningham off the hook as easily as you do ;) Cunny had more than enough chances to score lots of goals and failed miserably because he was a flake.

Gerba has had 2 good games with Montreal after Saputo called him out in the newspapers for being shit. It's also the second division.

algieb
09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
clearly pricky is not what tfc want lacklustre football,this is the mans style off play,next season much the same a few different players, no fun ,people moaning abt his style,can tfc allow this man and his style off play to carry on and destroy this great crowd and atmospere

Ossington Mental Youth
09-09-2010, 06:40 PM
The only one that fits the argument is Buddle.

I can't let Cunningham off the hook as easily as you do ;) Cunny had more than enough chances to score lots of goals and failed miserably because he was a flake.

Gerba has had 2 good games with Montreal after Saputo called him out in the newspapers for being shit. It's also the second division.

even then Buddles had Donovan and Beckham (not so much this year) to help him

tfc2008
09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Everyone talk this and that but wat you guys have to do is ONE thing.
Dont go to one game dont let them make money with to buy beer and foods because Maplealeafs sports dont care so long every home game the money come in
believe me guys wats one game in a bar and give them al the open seats

Darlofletch
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM

The bolded part especially. Pachuco pointed to a "predictable style" which is so accurate when looking at TFC's play. Every minute of possession is identical to the last period of possession. Identical. They are all now melting into one big memory of how TFC behaves when they have possession of the ball.

BTW, you forgot the period at the end of pitch. LOL! Yes, I am that much of a douche.

Interesting. i read that article and saw it more as a lament at our poor signings and lack of good wingers and depth up front. Yet you copy and paste a bit and leap on it to point out coaching. I guess we all see what we want to see. Last night Usanov got forward a lot down the wing early on. so did harden a few times later on though he seemed very unwilling to cross the ball. was it good quality wing play? not really and it rarely has been all year, Peterson's not good enough, de ro has a tendency to cut in form the wing when he's played there, rather than play like true winger who's likely to win corners, Barrett's a bit better, but again not a proper winger. it's not Preki strategically telling them not to play like wingers, it's that we don't have any good wingers.

The ridiculous over exagerration as seen in the bolded part really doesn't help you argument or help you seem a fair minded critic rather than a Preki-hater who's already made his mind up.

jloome
09-09-2010, 06:58 PM

The bolded part especially. Pachuco pointed to a "predictable style" which is so accurate when looking at TFC's play. Every minute of possession is identical to the last period of possession. Identical. T=.

One of the reasons they looked so good in the first 10 minutes is that they were playing with tactical positional awareness: if there wasn't something good nearby, they switched fields, or looked for the most open man, so he could make up space moving upfield.

This is basics, and for us to so consistently crowd the mid and play short, quick passing requires a higher level of talent than the team as a whole possesses.

If you can't open up space, you just end up hucking in crosses constantly.

If I'm Preki right now, I retool and reassess, maybe go to a counterattack based game that lulls them in and creates some chances for Barrett and DeRosario to get behind their last defender, then switch it up to something based around using DeGuzman and DeRosario as movement linchpins, deciding which side is overbalanced and when to swtich field quickly. .

That last part is basically what we were doing early, then TFC lost its composure when it didn't turn into an immediate goal. I think we only ended out having one actual shot on net all game, maybe two.

Detroit_TFC
09-09-2010, 07:52 PM
An aside from the game: there were some of us on the first row down by the field seating, pretty close to the sideline on the bench side. During the first half some of the TFC bench players walked by to go warm up during the game. So we cheered them as they walked by. I think Maicon thought we were Fire fans heckling him because he shot us the most serious "go fuck yourself" look I've ever seen.

Toyota Park is a nice facility, especially for a first generation stadium, but they are just screwed on weekday games because of travel time. It took me 2 hours to get there from the north side via public transit.

werewolf
09-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Nobody is putting a gun to your head to click on the link.

nope, all people are doing is discussing the match...here...in this thread.

TFCwestcan
09-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I caught the game in Chicago on Wednesday, I'm not sure depressed me more the sad atmosphere at Toyota, or the game it self. I sat next to the Hardcore crowd just to get a bit of the spirit. I was also Disappointed that Mista was out for the game. Before the game I had called the Fire to ask where the visiting support was sitting, they gave me the upper deck section, well this was not even open for the game. Sheese, sad place Football/soccer really has to do better in the states but this is another topic

menefreghista
09-10-2010, 09:37 AM
This is why MLS is reluctant to add mid-week games to make it easier to honour the International schedule.

Most people don't want to attend games mid-week at these suburban stadiums that are all over the league.

Fort York Redcoat
09-10-2010, 09:58 AM
^Good call.

NJRB
FC Frisco

Dumbasses.

Sorry you traveled so far for such a result westcan..