PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday,Sep.05

denime
09-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Mornin'

Post Game interviews TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Missed Chances Costly In Dallas (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/missed-chances-costly-dallas)

TFC fall in uninspiring fashion (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/05/15251781.html)

Cunningham gets revenge on TFC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-dumped-in-dallas/article1696679/)

Not so friendly (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/09/04/peru_canada/)

Peru Downs Canada At BMO Field (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/09/peru-downs-canada-bmo-field)

Peru gives Canada a soccer lesson (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/peru-gives-canada-a-soccer-lesson/article1696593/)

http://i56.tinypic.com/35ckktw.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ufspr4.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)_:yum:

Carts
09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
G'Morning Denime...

London
09-05-2010, 08:15 AM
goodbye playoffs

Oldtimer
09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Mo must go.

bgnewf
09-05-2010, 09:22 AM
goodbye playoffs

A little early to say this I think, but the most disheartening part of last night was that there were points to be had and we had a lot of favoutable results elsewhere.

And can anyone confirm why Attakora not play for Canada last night? If the intention was to keep him on the bench then why was he not called up and kept by TFC???

ArmenJBX
09-05-2010, 09:32 AM
If we are gunna do this whole mo must go song and dance again this year, we have to see it through. We completely stopped after some good results. If people want to see him go that badly then we have to push for it even when the team plays well, otherwise he's still going to be here.

Blizzard
09-05-2010, 09:37 AM
A little early to say this I think, but the most disheartening part of last night was that there were points to be had and we had a lot of favoutable results elsewhere.

And can anyone confirm why Attakora not play for Canada last night? If the intention was to keep him on the bench then why was he not called up and kept by TFC???

Late last night, my source told me that there was no intention to start Nana. Hart admitted that he put Nana's name on the starting 11 in error. Nana is not hurt. He was simply not chosen.
Allegedly, Hart feels that Nana isn't good enough. That is his decision to make of course but I feel that such being the case, he should have released Nana to return to TFC even if it were late on friday night. That said, Harden was fine last night and Nana's absence wasn't why we lost IMO.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2010, 09:39 AM
… the announced attendance of 10,619 marks the fifth straight time the CMNT has drawn 10k-plus at home, which is a record

Are we done growing the National game? Is it where we want it to be? No. Have we made leaps and bounds in the support of Canada. You're god damned right we have.

Disappointing day but dust yourselves off lads cause we got Honduras Tuesday..

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Late last night, my source told me that there was no intention to start Nana. Hart admitted that he put Nana's name on the starting 11 in error. Nana is not hurt. He was simply not chosen.
Allegedly, Hart feels that Nana isn't good enough. That is his decision to make of course but I feel that such being the case, he should have released Nana to return to TFC even if it were late on friday night.

"An error on paper" So much bullshit. If the above was the case it means that Hart felt pressure to take Nana at someone's insistence but had to make this 4 word excuse to try and not piss off who? Preki? TFC in general? I think we'll agree that this two way street between National squad and TFC has got to stop. Priority needs to be the National Squad. It's the fault of MLS schedule Hart was put in this unnecessary awkward position.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I can't figure out why Hart wouldn't rate Nana any higher. For my money he's better than McKenna, who looked awkward and clumsy in the latter part of yesterday's game. At least try Nana out - he might actually play well at his home stadium.:rolleyes:

Btw, a crowd of 10,619 was around my estimate. I actually thought it would be worse, so I can't complain about the number. That said, it would be nice if more than 4 or 5k could've been rooting for the home team.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2010, 10:10 AM
That said, Harden was fine last night and Nana's absence wasn't why we lost IMO.

I can't figure out why Hart wouldn't rate Nana any higher. For my money he's better than McKenna, who looked awkward and clumsy in the latter part of yesterday's game. At least try Nana out - he might actually play well at his home stadium.:rolleyes:

Interesting. Blizzard, Harden may've done enough yesterday (as usual it was the final third that we couldn't improve upon. More scoring chances ,please) but with Ruffy's comment I'd have to agree that especially later on in the Canada game Mckenna struggled. I'd like to have seen what Nana could do.

So are we saying Canada needed Nana more than TFC? Looks that way.

Roogsy
09-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Btw, a crowd of 10,619 was around my estimate. I actually thought it would be worse, so I can't complain about the number. That said, it would be nice if more than 4 or 5k could've been rooting for the home team.

Yes, yes and yes!

The two goals Peru scored were on HORRIBLE defensive breakdowns by Canada. If Nana was in there, I am wondering if that would have happened. I am not a fan of Preki but the one GREAT job he has had is instilling a proper defensive work ethic. I am guessing Canada would have benefited from that last night.

As for the attendance, I am not all that enthusiastic about the figure when I see that 70% of those in attendance were for the other team. If we were playing against a small country that has few immigrants in Toronto like Iceland or Malta, I don't think we would have seen a crowd like that. The CSA NEEDS to see growth in the CANADIAN fanbase.

mdc 77
09-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Everyone commenting on the crowd at last nights match...I know its easy to blame the CSA for everything under the sun but this game was such a lost opportunity. Saturday night in Toronto, during the exhibition...zero promotion to the public outside of local soccer associations and a ridiculous pricing structure. This is not the way to grow the game and support for the national side. Everything they do makes them look amateur and its beyond frustrating to watch the same old crap from the CSA.

reggie
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
i think thats a good crowd considering how shite our cnmt is,that was a brutal display of football yesterday,they are ranked 102 that is being kind to them i would rank them behind the yukon and ontario,the team played with no HART other then julian.

Heart of Stone
09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I saw the Peruvians leaving the Westin Harbour Castle this morning with big grins on their faces ... breakfast must have been good...

Roogsy
09-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Everyone commenting on the crowd at last nights match...I know its easy to blame the CSA for everything under the sun but this game was such a lost opportunity. Saturday night in Toronto, during the exhibition...zero promotion to the public outside of local soccer associations and a ridiculous pricing structure. This is not the way to grow the game and support for the national side. Everything they do makes them look amateur and its beyond frustrating to watch the same old crap from the CSA.

QFFT...

Especially the bolded part. I paid $20 for my supporters seats, but my friend who sat in 111 paid $40. :eek: Are you kidding me?

The CSA continue to be idiots.

rocker
09-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I saw the Peruvians leaving the Westin Harbour Castle this morning with big grins on their faces ... breakfast must have been good...

hopefully they take home the bed bugs known to be in that hotel ;)

CoachGT
09-05-2010, 03:54 PM
QFFT...

Especially the bolded part. I paid $20 for my supporters seats, but my friend who sat in 111 paid $40. :eek: Are you kidding me?

The CSA continue to be idiots.

The whole second deck should have been the Peru fans, and the lower levels should have been filled, FILLED with kids teams from around the GTA! Even if the tickets had to be given away, but with the CNE, I'm sure many youth teams would have thoroughly enjoyed the day!

Blizzard
09-05-2010, 03:59 PM

This is shifting gears a bit but apparently some of the security staff were under the impression that Toronto FC was playing yesterday. They demanded an over-refreshed acquaintance of mind show them his season ticket .... which of course he did not have (LOL). They then took his game ticket away with them for some reason. Ten minutes later, the same security person asked for his ticket again .... which of course he did not have (LOL). A friend of mine told her "you already took it" which she at first denied but eventually she went through her pockets and found the ticket (DOH).

Foolishness!

Blizzard
09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
The whole second deck should have been the Peru fans, and the lower levels should have been filled, FILLED with kids teams from around the GTA! Even if the tickets had to be given away, but with the CNE, I'm sure many youth teams would have thoroughly enjoyed the day!

I think that BMO Field and the CSA also have to face facts when it comes to mixing supporters. Granted, as far as I know, the only problem was what took place in front of 110/111 when a handful of Peruvian supporters tried to move in and were stopped by a group of Canadian supporters as all of us saw.

That said, it is still a risk and both the stadium and the CSA have to, in future, reserve the right to separate supporters no matter what their tickets say. I did witness a security staffer at the back of 113 speak to a few folks in Peru shirts, presumably to ask if they'd any issues and to inform them where they were, but I see no reason whatsoever why they weren't moved ... for their own safety as much as anything else.

Of course, the only real fight that took place inside the stadium (at the back of 114) was between a drunken Chelsea supporter and a drunken Manchester United supporter who then proceded to punch a girl in the face when she got in on the argument. Four girls then pummeled him or it at least looked that way. Well done ladies!!!

redcard
09-05-2010, 04:36 PM
The CSA must restrict the number of away support tickets sold...the fewer the away support the less hostile these home games will appear, this will allow for more of the fan base to grow for Canada...price point has to improve as well....

What i dont get is why the CSA nor TFC separate the away support from home support, TFC didnt doesnt do it during the CCL matches either! Is it a BMO Field thing and not CSA or TFC?

CoachGT
09-05-2010, 04:41 PM
With the number of Peru fans seated spread out throughout the stadium, including at the south end, someone coming in might have mistaken the game for a Peru home game, especially after goals were scored. Whether it was to put all of the Peru fans in the North end or put them in the second deck, all together, it would eliminate even some of the petty problems that did occur.

But this was a prime opportunity for Canadian kids to see our own team in action, during the CNE, and see what home support could be. I brought a dozen kids into 112 and for the most part they joined in on the chanting and singing, and every one of them enjoyed the night and now want to come back. These kids were between 14 and 17 years old, hopefully a new generation of fans. Wht couldn't the CSa have tried the same thing?

redcard
09-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I was watching the Nigel 590 show on Friday night, and some of the Canadian alumni players even said, the CSA needs to restrict away support sales...after the Honduras match in Montreal i thought the CSA would have woken up...but they havent....the home games are a means for them to make money, even if it is with the away support...

after that Montreal debacle, and dealing with the shit that the home support had to deal with, it is tough to get myself up to attend another Canadian home match...CSA doesnt care about home support why should I?

Darlofletch
09-05-2010, 07:26 PM
For everyone sayoing we should limit away support, or at least seperate them, how exactly do you propose to do that given that most tickets used by Peruvians would have been bought in Canada, using a computer with a canadian ip address.

Do you think all those Peru supporters flew up from peru for the day? It's always going to be a challenge, as how is ticketmaster's website supposed to know if the Canadians buying tickets intend to support Canada or the opposition. Due to the small numbers in attendance, the csa is in no position to be able to have any kind of membership scheme that might be able to guarantee people are there to support Canada.

Hell, even the official supporters sections that had pre sales through rpb, u-sector, nee, voyageurs had opposition supporters in there. It sucks, but you can't blame the csa, blame canadian fans for not being numerous enough to buy up the tickets themselves.

Heart of Stone
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Peruers living in Toronto especially those of Japanese heritage have added much to Toronto's cultural and culinary landscape...

Roogsy
09-06-2010, 05:15 PM
after that Montreal debacle, and dealing with the shit that the home support had to deal with, it is tough to get myself up to attend another Canadian home match...CSA doesnt care about home support why should I?

It hurts me to read this...but who can blame you?

It was so disheartening to see so much away support. I can only imagine how the players felt.

Roogsy
09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Peruers living in Toronto especially those of Japanese heritage have added much to Toronto's cultural and culinary landscape...

1) How so?

2) What does it matter? Are they Canadian or not? Immigrants that move to the US, many if not most feel a patriotism towards becoming "American" that immigrants that come to Canada rarely exhibit. How about some stinkin' appreciation for leaving your backwards country behind and giving your children a better life?

And I say this as a Latino...

Toronto Ruffrider
09-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Do you think all those Peru supporters flew up from peru for the day?

Given that there are only 22,000 Peruvians in the entire country, I'd say that a good chunk of them travelled to the game. For Canada/Honduras in 2008, a lot of Hondurans bussed to Montreal from the northeastern US. I'd bet that this pattern repeated itself with Peru.

ArmenJBX
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Don't limit away support..

How is it fair that we invade Columbus but Peru fans can't be at their own national teams game?

Nonsense. Away support is something sacred in the world of soccer. It shouldn't be censored because they sing louder. That's the fun of it. Next time, we get more people there to sing even louder then them! :D

Toronto Ruffrider
09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
We did sing louder than them... until they scored.

ManUtd4ever
09-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree that Canadian immigrants should support the country they call home but the sad fact of the matter is that without the away support at CMNT home games the attendance would be pathetic. The lone exception was the Canada-Jamaica WCQ at BMO Field...

Carts
09-06-2010, 07:50 PM
1) How so?

2) What does it matter? Are they Canadian or not? Immigrants that move to the US, many if not most feel a patriotism towards becoming "American" that immigrants that come to Canada rarely exhibit. How about some stinkin' appreciation for leaving your backwards country behind and giving your children a better life?

This is one of the things that bothers me to no end...

Nobody seems proud to be Canadian...

In fact, people actually look at me funny when they say "...what are you...?" or "...where are you from...?" and I answer "...I AM CANADIAN..."

They actually look at me weird...!!! WTF...???

My parents were born in Ireland, immigrated here. Suddenly that's supposed to make me Irish...?

I was born here, raised here, live here, work here, pay taxes here, vote here, the list goes on - yet people think its weird when I say I am Canadian...

It is the single biggest problem in the nation today - because it leads to so many other social & economic problems...

If people had some f*cking pride in being Canadian, this great country (which sadly is taking a downturn) would be even better...

Carts...

Roogsy
09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
The ONLY words that come out of my mouth:

I am Canadian.

If they ask for my parent's background, I tell them. But I consider myself Canadian.

SilverSamurai
09-07-2010, 01:24 AM
1) How so?

+1.
I find it shameful I'm part of the same gene pool as these Peruvians...
(not Peruvian but I am Hispanic)

This is one of the things that bothers me to no end...

Nobody seems proud to be Canadian...

In fact, people actually look at me funny when they say "...what are you...?" or "...where are you from...?" and I answer "...I AM CANADIAN..."

They actually look at me weird...!!! WTF...???

My parents were born in Ireland, immigrated here. Suddenly that's supposed to make me Irish...?

I was born here, raised here, live here, work here, pay taxes here, vote here, the list goes on - yet people think its weird when I say I am Canadian...

It is the single biggest problem in the nation today - because it leads to so many other social & economic problems...

If people had some f*cking pride in being Canadian, this great country (which sadly is taking a downturn) would be even better...

Carts...
I get the same thing.
The usual "where you from?"
"Here"
"No really where are you from?"
"I was born in Toronto and grew up in..."
"No really where are you from?"
"What do you want me to say. I was born here in Canada. I'm Canadian!"
"... Well I mean..."
"Yes?"
"what's your background?"
"Oh I'm Hispanic descent, but I'm Canadian. If you wanted to know, why didn't you ask?"
"Um well..."

I'm sure a lot of people have had similar conversations...

Oddly enough, no 1 outside of Canada questioned my citizenship! :hump: