PDA

View Full Version : Bring Iain Hume home

Yohan
09-01-2010, 07:11 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Hume

Now I don't like making wild assed, practically zero chance of signing, hairbrained scheme, but I think TFC should go after Ian Hume

I'm basing my idea on this article

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/hume-unfazed-by-life-threatening-accident/article1692180/

First up is trying to find himself a new home in England. Bantams boss Mark Robins had some bad news for Hume recently after limiting the striker to just two appearances for the club this season.
“I’ve been told to find a new club,” Hume confessed, “which is disappointing because of the work I’ve put in over the last two, three months.”
So he's available for transfer, though transfer fee is an issue

And while he feels his immediate future lies in Europe, Hume does have a desire to play in Major League Soccer one day.
“I would love to play for Toronto,” he said. “I’d kill to come back and play in front of my family and friends … but at the moment it’s one of those things with my family being from over there and my little one in school, it’s sort of out of the question.”
So he has an interest in playing for TFC. Make him an offer he can't refuse, even if that's DP money.

He's a striker who can play on wing. Fills two needs for TFC. Guys who follow him more for CMNT can comment better on him as a footballer.

Well, just an idea

Ageroo
09-01-2010, 07:20 AM
I love Hume....he is a firecracker with a lot of spunk and can play the wing as well as forward. Still not too old and worth the money in my opinion. Great post of the article.

by the way Yohan....how did that haircut with the pistol go....:)

Fort York Redcoat
09-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Love watching him and hope he does well. That injury he had though was so serious it's always going to be a question mark for him.

That said he's a crowd pleaser and definitely the kind of player for N.A. footie fans

ensco
09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
The nerve of that Petr Cech! Trying to contact him like that!

Shakes McQueen
09-01-2010, 07:45 AM
The nerve of that Petr Cech! Trying to contact him like that!

I say sign him, but only if he's wearing the same kind of helmet.

- Scott

Ageroo
09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Love watching him and hope he does well. That injury he had though was so serious it's always going to be a question mark for him.

That said he's a crowd pleaser and definitely the kind of player for N.A. footie fans

He definitely would be an instant hit with his bulldog like play.....his head injury does have me a little worried though...but as I said I would take him in a heartbeat, as he would go all out to be playing on home soil day in and day out.

ensco
09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I say sign him, but only if he's wearing the same kind of helmet.

- Scott

Maybe, I like what I know of him as a player....

EDIT: Globe has story wrong, several people below pointed this out so I have deleted the shot I took at Hume for slagging Cech

anto7
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Sounds like Hume's comments about Cech were actually about Morgan

I am quite sure that the author misconstrued Hume's statement regarding Cech, which must have been meant for Morgan. From a 2009 Daily Mail article:

"Hume was touched by the Chelsea goalkeeper's offer of advice if he found himself struggling to overcome the psychological effects of his injury.

'Even though I'm a league below and a world away from him in football terms, for someone of his stature to offer their hand was massive for me,' said Hume.

'I didn't take him up on it. I just needed to do it my way and make my own steps, just as he had to.'"

Red Patch CA
09-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Have a look at the comments following the Globe article which clarify what Hume actually said. Seems to be a poorly written comment by the Globe writer.
Looking forward to seeing Hume on Saturday. If he is back to his form previous to the injury, I would love to see him in TFC red.

Darlofletch
09-01-2010, 09:36 AM
The Bantams? That had me frantically checking to see when he got transferred to bradford.

anyway, Hume for TFC? I'd go for that. but then, as far as canadian forwards go, i was very excited about bringing in Gerba, so what the hell do i know?

Shway
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Sounds like Hume's comments about Cech were actually about Morgan

I am quite sure that the author misconstrued Hume's statement regarding Cech, which must have been meant for Morgan. From a 2009 Daily Mail article:

"Hume was touched by the Chelsea goalkeeper's offer of advice if he found himself struggling to overcome the psychological effects of his injury.

'Even though I'm a league below and a world away from him in football terms, for someone of his stature to offer their hand was massive for me,' said Hume.

'I didn't take him up on it. I just needed to do it my way and make my own steps, just as he had to.'"

This definately makes more sense....
I was like when i read that, who the eff does Hume think he is when i read that he was mad, and he deleted.

Clearly a teammate gave Chris Morgan his number which the reason he was mad.

ensco
09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Have a look at the comments following the Globe article which clarify what Hume actually said. Seems to be a poorly written comment by the Globe writer.
Looking forward to seeing Hume on Saturday. If he is back to his form previous to the injury, I would love to see him in TFC red.

Now that makes more sense. I will edit/delete my previous post

Shway
09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
The Bantams? That had me frantically checking to see when he got transferred to bradford.

anyway, Hume for TFC? I'd go for that. but then, as far as canadian forwards go, i was very excited about bringing in Gerba, so what the hell do i know?

I agree, but even from the national team stand point....
they are totally different players.

Gerba is more of an emile heskey type,
while Hume is more of the fearless type, get stuck in player.

Section 117
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
This is not the best idea IMO the reason for this is he would have to get DP money. To give an at best Championship level player that kind of money we will expect results and he more than likely won't deliver. Then we will have supporters against him complaining that he sucks and others that will defend him tooth and nail. Just like what is going on with JDG. I don't blame JDG for a lot of what has happened yes he is at fault to an extent but to set up another player to fail would be directly on the GM.

Also, IMO DP's should have a significant impact on the play of the team look at JPA, Henry, Marquez w/ Red Bulls, Donavan w/LA, Lundberg w/Seattle in his first year, GBS w/Columbus, and Blanco w/Chicago. When they play to their level they make the team significantly better. TFC on the other hand signs JDG very good player just not suited for this league. We need proper DPS and IMNO they shoudl be a "name" it would help the jersey sales and would attract potentialy new fans as we all know that the stadium has been full consitently in over a year.

just my 2 cents

Pachuco
09-01-2010, 10:07 AM
This is not the best idea IMO the reason for this is he would have to get DP money. To give an at best Championship level player that kind of money we will expect results and he more than likely won't deliver. Then we will have supporters against him complaining that he sucks and others that will defend him tooth and nail. Just like what is going on with JDG. I don't blame JDG for a lot of what has happened yes he is at fault to an extent but to set up another player to fail would be directly on the GM.

Also, IMO DP's should have a significant impact on the play of the team look at JPA, Henry, Marquez w/ Red Bulls, Donavan w/LA, Lundberg w/Seattle in his first year, GBS w/Columbus, and Blanco w/Chicago. When they play to their level they make the team significantly better. TFC on the other hand signs JDG very good player just not suited for this league. We need proper DPS and IMNO they shoudl be a "name" it would help the jersey sales and would attract potentialy new fans as we all know that the stadium has been full consitently in over a year.

just my 2 cents

Yes I completely agree with this. Another Canadian player on his way down (from the Championshiop, this isn't La Liga) who's going to come here demanding DP money. Worst is that he had a potential career ending injury. Sounds like the classic mistake Mo would make. If he was willing to come here for 200K then maybe, but no way this guy signs here for DP money. This isn't the MLS of 5 years anymore.

Soccer-Ts
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
So he has an interest in playing for TFC. Make him an offer he can't refuse, even if that's DP money.

DP money for what, being a Canadian? You must think the English coaches are blind and can't see that he's washed up.

rocker
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd pass on Hume... he has not proven yet he's 100% after the injury.

Even before the injury, he was not a great goal scorer... and that's at a level comparable to MLS. remember her never played in the Premiership... and he's mostly played in the second and third tiers in England. Even at that, his goal scoring rate is not very good. For Canada it's been even worse.
He's a hard working guy, but so is Chad Barrett.

DP? No way.

Alixir
09-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I for one would be extremely disapointed if Hume was to sign with TFC as a DP. We already have one Canadian player taking up a DP slot he does not deserve.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Cosign with 117.
We'd throw him to the wolves in no time

Section 117
09-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Cosign with 117.
We'd throw him to the wolves in no time

I say over under 1 game supporters would be down his throat.

On the 24th Minute Blog Duanne Rollins did a brief comparison of Hume & Barrett and Barrett has a better goal rate then Hume. Duane's blog was about Hume signing with Shitecaps as it was reported by some guy in BC

KezmanCCCC
09-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Ian Hume would be a great player for TFC on the wing or even up front as a striker.... im pretty sure he mainly plays as a winger for the CMNT and i remember watching him play in Toronto vs jamaica for WCQ.... i also met him a few days before that game... great guy... would like to see him in TFC red some day (before he gets to old)

rocker
09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Ian Hume would be a great player for TFC on the wing or even up front as a striker....

but why? what would he bring for DP prices? Beckham quality crosses? Angel quality scoring? I don't think so. We need to set our sites a bit higher for DPs now that the risk is gone. When you could have only 1 DP, I used to be very cautious about getting a DP... cuz what if he fails or gets hurt. But now with some breathing room, the risk is less. go for the gold in these spots.

jloome
09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I'd pass on Hume... he has not proven yet he's 100% after the injury.

Even before the injury, he was not a great goal scorer... and that's at a level comparable to MLS. remember her never played in the Premiership... and he's mostly played in the second and third tiers in England. Even at that, his goal scoring rate is not very good. For Canada it's been even worse.
He's a hard working guy, but so is Chad Barrett.

DP? No way.

Totally agreed. Has always been overvalued by Nats fans.

Wull
09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't see any Canadian player as being worth DP money in the grand scheme of things. Not when you can get the likes of Marquez for the same cap hit (yes I know they're only likely to go to NY or LA if they're that level of quality). We should be getting value for money in comparison to what the others on the team make and nether of our DPs have made it to that level in a TFC jersey yet for me. **cue endless jdg debate round 17**

razor787
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I dont like this idea much at all. He isnt a proven player, but even if we knew he would bring the same quality as JPA or Beckham, think about intl call ups. MLS doesnt give breaks for international dates. Right now, we are losing Nana, JDG, DeRo, and we could have lost Cann. Do we really want to bring in any more players that will have to leave for international duty? That would be 5 people we lose, plus anyone that plays for other international squads.

We are just asking for a repeat, of when we had lost 9 players to call ups.

Stay away from the CMNT players for the time being.

Fort York Redcoat
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
^I refuse to take on this unpatriotic view simply because we have a joke of a league that will punish a team for international callups.

This also applies to other internationals that we may want to sign that represent their country.

razor787
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
It absolutely sucks. The league schedule should have 0 impact on what type of players we look at, but unfortunately thats the case. Until the league adopts a schedule that will recognize FIFA dates, signing more international players, and canadian players specifically (because if we have 5 canadian players, we know all 5 will be wanted for canadian duty, where the others may not be taken at the same time) will only hurt us.

I wish that we could sign absolutely anyone, but if we try too, then we just get fucked over in the end.

Flipityflu
09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
it would be cool just to see a TFC player from the ranks of the Tranmere Rovers youth system.

Alixir
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't see any Canadian player as being worth DP money in the grand scheme of things. Not when you can get the likes of Marquez for the same cap hit (yes I know they're only likely to go to NY or LA if they're that level of quality). We should be getting value for money in comparison to what the others on the team make and nether of our DPs have made it to that level in a TFC jersey yet for me. **cue endless jdg debate round 17**
Bingo!

prizby
09-01-2010, 06:36 PM
i can't see him scoring anymore than chad barrett...thus he isn't worth more than 200k

ArmenJBX
09-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I have never signed Ian Hume in FIFA 10, so unfortunately, this move cannot actually occur based on evidence from prior events. I trust that this is enough to quash any ambitions to sign him. Anyone who knows the signings of players knows that when a player is signed in my manager mode, there is a good chance they're signed in real life, so this kind of evidence is irrefutable.

Case closed.

Ivan
09-02-2010, 11:30 AM

just my 2 cents

I think this all points out the problem with MLS and the DP structure. Hume is exactly the kind of depth player we or any team in the league needs but he falls between DP quality and 'everyone else' quality. MLS needs some sort of second level DP structure so that you can sign Hume (if he's recovered -- he hasn't really regained the form he had) for the $400K/year or so he'd be worth and take half the $335K cap hit. Look at the drop in quality on any team in the league after you get past the starting XI. It's League Championship to League Two, at best.

Section 117
09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Ivan the problem with that is MLS has what is called a salary cap. You can't start signing above average palyers as depth guys and pay them $400K very few teams can afford a DP let a lone what you are proposing.

You end up creating a two tiered league with the "haves" and "havenots". The single entity structure is there to maintain a reasonable level playing field for all of the teams.

Ivan
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Ivan the problem with that is MLS has what is called a salary cap. You can't start signing above average palyers as depth guys and pay them $400K very few teams can afford a DP let a lone what you are proposing.

You end up creating a two tiered league with the "haves" and "havenots". The single entity structure is there to maintain a reasonable level playing field for all of the teams.

I know what you're saying and I'm all for the cap and competitiveness, but I don't think allowing some way for more above average players is going to hurt that. Right now smaller market teams are winning without any DPs at all. Look at Salt Lake. Teams that can use the DP for the Henrys do but others like Seattle and Columbus use their DPs for quality "lesser" names and do well. I think a slightly more flexible salary structure has to at least be explored so that the league can stop losing guys to second tier Scandanavian teams because they can't get DP money but are too good for non DP money. We're lucky DeRo is loyal and wants to play close to home..

J .
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Him, Barrett and Santos would give us a trio of strikers we could rely upon and mix and match. A guy like Barrett and Hume would cause slow footed MLS defenders fits and really create space for DeRo to attack going forward.

It would be amazing and maybe he impresses, OBW is sent off to Divisino 12 in Alaska and we get Hume.

Ill pass the dutchy to the left, but I think it would be great to have a guy like Hume here.

ArmenJBX
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
J . are you workieing the board? :D

J .
09-02-2010, 01:12 PM
lol, just living the dream man, living the dream.