PDA

View Full Version : MLS and adidas extend partnership

Smokecell
08-30-2010, 08:33 AM
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/adidas-and-major-league-soccer-extend-partnership-101789503.html

existing deal had 4 years left (original 10 years 150mil) - now extended to '18 @ 200mil

source - http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=66565

Oldtimer
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Good for the league.
Bad for jersey design. Too generic.

On the balance, though, I'd rather have a league with decent players and boring jerseys, than a league with poor players and awesome jerseys.

__wowza
08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
i don't even think they're that great. personally i think it's a financial pipe dream to have teams choose their own sponsors, but it would provide a bit more variety. another option is to have each division with their own sponsor (IE: east/adidas west/umbro)

Roogsy
08-30-2010, 09:14 AM
It's an increase and it's steady money for the league. I like that. No complaints here.

DavydMT
08-30-2010, 09:37 AM
umbro is nike, reebok is adidas

Fort York Redcoat
08-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I love it. Stability and I like Adidas.

nascarguy
08-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Adidas jersey design sucks.

__wowza
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
umbro is nike, reebok is adidas

im aware. it's just that i've found i've liked kits that fly under the umbro banner more than ones from nike. probably because the england kits for the WC this year were so damn classy.

Detroit_TFC
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Some tidbits from the SBJ article:
- MLS sales have gone up an avg of 600% per year since 2005, now $300 million/yr. (Obviously this includes the avalanche of 300K Beckham jerseys which won't be repeated but it established N. America as a lucretive market.)

- Two weeks ago big boss of adidas met with The Don and SUM, was intended to be a 2 hr overview meeting, turned into 6 hr full blast renegotiation. Adidas came into that meeting intending to lock in a contract renewal. (The takeaway from this is that adidas did not want Nike to even have a chance to pitch a new deal).

- Two year design/production timeline (yeah 1 hr design and 1.999 years production).

- Deal now includes exclusive access to outfit MLS academy/youth programs. Article says that FC Dallas is planning to double enrollment of youth programs from 2,500 to 5,000. (that's why they don't give a shit about having 7K in stadium).

ilikemusic
08-30-2010, 12:14 PM
The uniformity across the league really doesnt bother me. Adidas' designs have been pretty good for a while. As it stands, the league has all clean, simple designs.

Some of the designs in Europe this year are just ridiculous (i.e. Inter's dragon kit). And even the Nike kits which have been so great in recent years have taken a step down. I know there isnt much to them, but I think Man U and Celtic's new shirts look pretty bad.

Shway
08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
The uniformity across the league really does bother me.
Because jerseysare based off the same templated. Now i ve seen jerseys that adidas has done, that doesnt look anything the adidas jerseys that the MLS gets. MLS adidas jerseys look the same, with all the uneccesary pipping all over the jerseys...
European adidas jerseys look totally different.

Do they get a different template?

That being said TFC im looking forward to the new TFC jerseys

manic.street.preacher
08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
The uniformity across the league really does bother me.
Because jerseysare based off the same templated. Now i ve seen jerseys that adidas has done, that doesnt look anything the adidas jerseys that the MLS gets. MLS adidas jerseys look the same, with all the uneccesary pipping all over the jerseys...
European adidas jerseys look totally different.
^this. i love adidas, i'm a total 3-stripe whore, but sometimes i looks like we get the short end of the stick.

that said, it's good for the league, so it's good news

ilikemusic
08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Which Adidas jereys are you talking about?

MLS basically uses the exact same templates as the European clubs.

Europe just changes over sooner because Adidas launches the new kits with their season, when MLS is already in full swing.

I dont see how Chelsea, Liverpool or Real Madrid have nicer jerseys than MLS. Weve got the exact same thing.

rocker
08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
I've never been a fashion maven, so the design of the shirts really doesn't matter to me. The only thing that can be annoying is the colour... Imagine getting stuck with Crew Piss Yellow? UGH!

ilikemusic
08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I've never been a fashion maven, so the design of the shirts really doesn't matter to me. The only thing that can be annoying is the colour... Imagine getting stuck with Crew Piss Yellow? UGH!

Not to speak kindly of the Crew, but yellow is a great colour for any uniform (especially in football). I bought Liverpools yellow and red away kit from a couple of years back because it reminded me of a hot dog with kethup and mustard.

:hump:

Section 117
08-30-2010, 02:54 PM
I saw a rendering of the 2010 -2011 TFC jersey take the dark grey out and add black from what I could see. The white is staying the same and they haven't disclosed the 3rd jersey colour yet...

Also, all of the companies use templates for all of the jereseys whether it is a national team or club team so in the end it is 6 of one or half dozen of the other. One thing to be said about Adidas is they make great quality products unlike some of the other companies...

rocker
08-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Not to speak kindly of the Crew, but yellow is a great colour for any uniform
:hump:

it hurts my eyes, like staring at Medusa (or an ugly Sunshine Girl).
The yellow of the Seattle third kit is also hideous!

manic.street.preacher
08-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Which Adidas jereys are you talking about?

MLS basically uses the exact same templates as the European clubs.

Europe just changes over sooner because Adidas launches the new kits with their season, when MLS is already in full swing.

I dont see how Chelsea, Liverpool or Real Madrid have nicer jerseys than MLS. Weve got the exact same thing.

maybe it's just our shirt then, cos i still think we haven't got a really nice home kit. this year's is an improvement over our first one, but i think our best kit is the white one ... i'm fond of the Philly and Colorado shirts and the new Whitecaps one looks lovely, but am not overly impressed with the rest of them ... i just think TFC hasn't had a properly great shirt yet ... but that hasn't stopped me from buying em :D

ilikemusic
08-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Well thats because its 'electric yellow'. Totally classless.

Detroit_TFC
08-30-2010, 03:48 PM

On the other hand, you can see it from outer space. That's clever marketing.

ag futbol
08-30-2010, 08:17 PM
As was said above: good for the league, probably not good for my eyes.

Side note: I don t think adidas actually does the crests for each team. Those are done by some bush-league design company. Should be noted that at least somewhat contributes to the ugly.

Keystone FC
08-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Here are some tidbits from Yahoo sports:
The new deal replaces a 10-year, $150 million contract between the two organizations that started with the 2005 season. The new agreement will begin with the 2011 season and continue through 2018—when the league will be in its 22nd season.
The previous deal came before MLS added successful expansion franchises, increased player salaries and committed to deepening the talent pool with the option for teams to add multiple designated players. All those factors, plus record interest in the United States surrounding the World Cup earlier this summer prompted Adidas to approach MLS with a new deal.

A person with knowledge of the new deal said it’s worth more than $200 million. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because financial terms were not disclosed by the league or Adidas.

This kind of goes back to what Detroit TFC was saying:

The new deal continues much of the previous agreement, but makes a significant investment in youth development and reserve programs tied to all 16 — soon to be 18 starting next season—MLS franchises.
How that investment is executed is still to be determined.
“The goal will be to make a very direct link between our academies, our reserve league, our youth programs with a lot of the other youth programs going on in this country,” Garber said. “Adidas can play a very important role in creating that bridge and solidifying all those ties.”

It kind of makes it out to be rush job if they are to place a huge amount of money in development but don't know just how to do it.

And my favorite:
There also will be additional commitment by Adidas in marketing support— including additional retail marketing to increase player exposure—and with various media platforms.