PDA

View Full Version : 3 key players called up to CMNT, will miss TFC games

Oldtimer
08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Hart has summoned three Toronto FC players: Dwayne De Rosario, Julian de Guzman and Nana Attakora.
Canada plays Peru in Toronto on Sept. 4 and Honduras in Montreal on Sept. 7.
Toronto FC has games on the 4th and the 8th.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100826/canada-soccer-mls-players-100826/20100826/?hub=TorontoNewHom

pekduck
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
^
so who will play in Dallas?

Nane, Peterson, and Henry?? :(

GeorgeBest
08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Ouch!

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Ugh... those weren't important games for TFC anyway right? I mean it's only a possible 6 points. And it's not like Chicago is right behind us in the standings.

razor787
08-26-2010, 01:07 PM
There is a shred of awesome in this. I believe this is Nana;s first cap. He will be locked as a Canadian :)

werewolf
08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
There is a shred of awesome in this. I believe this is Nana;s first cap. He will be locked as a Canadian :)

The rules changed, only qualifying and Gold Cup count for that.

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 01:10 PM

I don't think you can be cap-tied from a friendly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

razor787
08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
FUCK! Then nevermind...

Cant Mo tell Hart, that he cant give him the players? I know they have to be released for those tournys, but they can be held for friendlies right?

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
While I think Mo could, I'm under the impression that relationships have always been good between our FO and the NT - I have a feeling that discussion has already been had. Maybe that's why they let us keep Cann.

Whoop
08-26-2010, 01:17 PM
That puts a ding in the playoff chances.

Rudi
08-26-2010, 01:19 PM
FUCK! Then nevermind...

Cant Mo tell Hart, that he cant give him the players? I know they have to be released for those tournys, but they can be held for friendlies right?
Wrong. The Canada games are on FIFA international dates. Clubs cannot refuse to release players on those dates.

woolly
08-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Is anyone really surpised by this? I am only suprised they didn't take Cann as well.

anto7
08-26-2010, 01:40 PM
This is a double edge sword. If we want to give ourselves a better chance of making the play-offs then we need those 3 players to stay with us, but if we want Canada to have any chance of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup then we need to play our best players together in as many friendly games as possible. So, although it is going to hurt TFC I think the national team success is more important in the big picture.
Plus I am gong to the Canada v Peru game so I would like to see our guys on the pitch at BMO.

ManUtd4ever
08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
The great news continues to pour in (sigh). I think our chances of making the playoffs just dropped substantially. I hope the team proves otherwise but it certainly doesn't look promising right now...

werewolf
08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
MLS continues to engage in this tomfoolery scheduling.

SilverSamurai
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't think you can be cap-tied from a friendly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Nope you're right.
Nana gets his 1st cap, but he's not cap tied until the GC next year.
Only tourneys and WCQ now count as cap ties.

I wonder if the 3 will also be in Montreal a few days later? Wouldn't make much sense to call up other players especially being so close...

menefreghista
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
The real stupid thing is that we had a Saturday off just a few weeks ago and we have two games scheduled during the international 'break'.

anto7
08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Hart has said that he might use the trio sparingly, if at all, for the Honduras game so that they are rested for the Chicago game.

Rudi
08-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Nope you're right.
Nana gets his 1st cap, but he's not cap tied until the GC next year.
Only tourneys and WCQ now count as cap ties.
Nana already got his first cap for Canada back in January against Jamaica. Oddly enough, he played alongside Adrian Cann in that game.

But you're right, only official tournament games can cap-tie players, so the next opportunity to cap-tie anyone to Canada will be the Gold Cup.

Fort York Redcoat
08-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Bad for TFC. Better chances for Canada.

SilverSamurai
08-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Nana already got his first cap for Canada back in January against Jamaica. Oddly enough, he played alongside Adrian Cann in that game.

But you're right, only official tournament games can cap-tie players, so the next opportunity to cap-tie anyone to Canada will be the Gold Cup.
Didn't know he'd gotten his cap.
Good for him though!

Waggy
08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Hart has said that he might use the trio sparingly, if at all, for the Honduras game so that they are rested for the Chicago game.

Thats what makes it all so stupid to me. If he isn't going to play the guys then why call them up?! So that neither team will use them? That's retarded. At least if they're missing a TFC game they can be actually gaining experience and cohesiveness with the nats

Rudi
08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
^ Because they'll probably play in the Peru game. The Honduras game is the day before TFC plays Chicago, so if he uses them sparingly or not at all, that would be a goodwill gesture towards TFC, and the players would be able to play for Toronto.

Waggy
08-26-2010, 04:06 PM
^ Because they'll probably play in the Peru game. The Honduras game is the day before TFC plays Chicago, so if he uses them sparingly or not at all, that would be a goodwill gesture towards TFC, and the players would be able to play for Toronto.

Ah that makes sense. As long as they're in one of the games I guess it's not all for nothing. And to look on the bright side, at least recently TFC have learned how to play without some of the bigger guns

SilverSamurai
08-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Ah that makes sense. As long as they're in one of the games I guess it's not all for nothing. And to look on the bright side, at least recently TFC have learned how to play without some of the bigger guns
Ya mean the C-squad this past week?
Look what happened... lol

Waggy
08-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Ya mean the C-squad this past week?
Look what happened... lol

Haha yup. The bright side is they have that experience under their belts, and this time it'll be 11 on 11. Plus hopefully Mista will be playing. Also whats Maicons status?

BS1327
08-26-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm happy to see them all playing for Canada, but it seems the playoff hopes are fading...

Roogsy
08-26-2010, 06:49 PM
The best part about all this is Mo's comment on the matter, something to the effect of: "That's why you have a deep squad".

Say what? :noidea:

CretanBull
08-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Maybe meant "That's why other teams have deep squads and why we should have a deep squad" ?

Torontotonto
08-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Yes it's an honour to represent your country, but for friendlies ?
This crucial time of the season, trying to make our first playoff run.
Not looking good for TFC...

T.O TILL I DIE
08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
^
so who will play in Dallas?

Nane, Peterson, and Henry?? :(

we have a guy on toronto named henry????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????

SilverSamurai
08-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Doing well in friendlies, means slowly increasing in the FIFA rankings. The WCQ start now. Especially with our current 100th place ranking.

Roogsy
08-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Exactly. Friendlies are the basis upon which teams improve. You don't go into World Cup qualifiers never having played together as a team and expect to do well. Part of the problem over the years with the Canadian team is that they didn't play enough friendlies. The problem here isn't Canada scheduling friendlies, that is a GOOD thing, the problem here is MLS refusing to acknowledge FIFA dates which is stupid and amateur.

Cashcleaner
08-27-2010, 10:55 PM
MLS continues to engage in this tomfoolery scheduling.

Exactly. It's hard to fault the sport's global governing body in this situation. FIFA lays out a schedule well in advance and there are good reasons to play friendlies like this.

MLS needs to adapt to FIFA, it shouldn't be the other way around.

ag futbol
08-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Ever get the feeling our players like SH a little more than they like our management team?

Dero pulled the plug on a friendly before because of his commitment to TFC. This game is arguably way more important.

The playoff race is going to be tight. This situation sucks.