PDA

View Full Version : Nana leaving?

Shway
08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
What this im hearing about Nana could bne possible leaving Toronto FC?
Heard he declined a contract offer from TFC?

Any other news?
http://www.24thminute.com/2010/08/nana-nana-nana-hey-hey-hey-goodbye.html

have to start saying nana, nana, dont sayyyyyy goodbye!

Carts
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Hopefully everyone treats this with the same distain they do other columnists and bloggers, as he says...

"...Not wanting to report a rumour at face value I tracked down a few of my more trusted sources today to ask whether they had heard anything confirming the suggestion...One very good source..."

If you don't say who, people will call you a liar - unless they have a huge double-standard...

Carts...

Whoop
08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Even respected journalists don't name their sources. Though with the advent of the internet age and the increase in bloggers of course people are suspicious.

Even just 10-15 years ago, if it was printed in a newspaper "sources say..." you had to trust it because newspapers would have to go for bat for the reporter if he/she fucked up.

But with newspapers trying to compete with all these bloggers, I think standards have slipped.

Either way I trust Duane.

Phil
08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
It would make total sense to me that he wants to test the market.

Look at what the guy gets paid and the way the revolving door works in this city when it comes to players and how they are treated.

Nodoubtguy
08-26-2010, 10:39 AM
21 years old, key player on his club, about to become a rock for his NT......he has options.

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Hopefully everyone treats this with the same distain they do other columnists and bloggers, as he says...

"...Not wanting to report a rumour at face value I tracked down a few of my more trusted sources today to ask whether they had heard anything confirming the suggestion...One very good source..."

If you don't say who, people will call you a liar - unless they have a huge double-standard...

Carts...

Hey Carts - no disrespect intended but I think taking that quote from the 24th Minute like you did is quite misleading. You missed the line where he said "...the consensus was that he was looking to move on." So while he does pick out one individual source and goes into more detail, the general feel from many people that he has talked to is that this is a possibility. I think this is a lot different then Wheeler's hearing from one person and reporting it as fact.

ArmenJBX
08-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Well, I can't say that this is unexpected news. It was bound to happen eventually. Hopefully we can keep Cann and sign ourselves another decent option. I think Ty Harden can fill the role if he's given the opportunity.

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 10:42 AM
And Doneil Henry - I think the point raised about him being a possible future replacement makes a lot of sense. Of course I'd much rather see Nana back here for at least another year or two.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
said it a million times over.....a 2.6 million cap will be the death of this league....

if this is true at all...good luck NANA...!! Your definitely worth more then the peanuts....MLS pay there young stars!

ManUtd4ever
08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Last Tuesday it felt like we were on top of the world after a historic victory over Cruz Azul. In the span of 9 days since then, TFC suffers their worst defeat in history at home against an arch nemesis, rumors swirl regarding a rift between Mista and Preki, TFC wastes a golden opportunity in Panama, and now our most reliable homegrown defender is allegedly on the way out of town? WTF is going on?!!!!!

Carts
08-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey Carts - no disrespect intended but I think taking that quote from the 24th Minute like you did is quite misleading. You missed the line where he said "...the consensus was that he was looking to move on." So while he does pick out one individual source and goes into more detail, the general feel from many people that he has talked to is that this is a possibility. I think this is a lot different then Wheeler's hearing from one person and reporting it as fact.

None taken, and definitely a good point by you...

Its just people slam other writers time and again because of quote "...they don't name sources, its not true if you don't name sources..." so I was making a point about their double-standard...

And obviosuly, it totally makes sence that Nana would dip his tow in the market - as we say hear at work...

Its funny, in regards to sports media comments other posters make, they forget I am in the sports media, and have many, many, many, keep going many times had to work and publish with sources that could not be named...

If they were they'd stop being sources, and stopped being employed by their employer - HELL they're protected in court from being named! LOL, yet some on here think they have a right to know...

Kinda funny...

Personally on the Nana issue, dump some deadweight, higher, older player salaries taking up cap space, and shell out deserved $$$ for Nana...

Carts...

Whoop
08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Its funny, in regards to sports media comments other posters make, they forget I am in the sports media, and have many, many, many, keep going many times had to work and publish with sources that could not be named...

If people named their sources there wouldn't be any news. LOL

Derko
08-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope that MLSE offer a very good contract to Nana, hell he has a few more goals than , Dare I say JDG!!
Now don't excited, I am just bringing things into perspective.

razor787
08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Man, I dont really know how to feel about this...

On one hand, I am extatic for Nana, and hope he does go on to better places, and makes one hell of a career for himself.

But, there is my selfish side, I am a little hurt. Our top CB is leaving, and since he wont sign a new contract, he would be leaving on a free, instead of letting us get something out of losing one of our most valuable players.

While I understand that it makes him more appealing to clubs, and it makes the most sence for Nana to do this, it still is a little disheartening to see the kid pack up and leave, with us losing our best CB, and only freeing up 40k of cap space.

This is going to hurt

Super Cereal
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Personally on the Nana issue, dump some deadweight, higher, older player salaries taking up cap space, and shell out deserved $$$ for Nana...

Carts...
I really don't think that's an option.

It's pretty obvious he wants to test the waters in Europe, nothing wrong with that. He's playing out his contract, not going public with his desire, and he's playing hard for about 1/8th of what he should be making.

Shway
08-26-2010, 11:59 AM
None taken, and definitely a good point by you...

Its just people slam other writers time and again because of quote "...they don't name sources, its not true if you don't name sources..." so I was making a point about their double-standard...

And obviosuly, it totally makes sence that Nana would dip his tow in the market - as we say hear at work...

If they were they'd stop being sources, and stopped being employed by their employer - HELL they're protected in court from being named! LOL, yet some on here think they have a right to know...

Kinda funny...

Carts...

GARCIA!

Carts
08-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I really don't think that's an option.

It's pretty obvious he wants to test the waters in Europe, nothing wrong with that. He's playing out his contract, not going public with his desire, and he's playing hard for about 1/8th of what he should be making.

Yeah, you're probably bang on...

Will hate to see him go - will be happy to see him succeed...

Carts...

Shway
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Man, I dont really know how to feel about this...

On one hand, I am extatic for Nana, and hope he does go on to better places, and makes one hell of a career for himself.

But, there is my selfish side, I am a little hurt. Our top CB is leaving, and since he wont sign a new contract, he would be leaving on a free, instead of letting us get something out of losing one of our most valuable players.

While I understand that it makes him more appealing to clubs, and it makes the most sence for Nana to do this, it still is a little disheartening to see the kid pack up and leave, with us losing our best CB, and only freeing up 40k of cap space.

This is going to hurt

Very good point!

Thats is exactly what i was thinking.
Hoever, In all honesty, I say go ahead Nana, make it to the top!

What i dont like is how TFC didnt offer him a contract extension last year, knowing what we saw from him in 09'. It almost seems like what is the purpose of signing home grown talent, if theyre going to leave on a free anyways.

It cant be like that Nana is atleast worth 500k-1mill

razor787
08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Who knows. Last year we may have offered Nana an extention for 100k, which is what I personally think he would be able to get no problem. If he has turned down an offer now, he may have also turned an offer down last year, no way to tell

Either way though, if there is no contract extention, then he is able to just walk away from the club, and we get ass raped. No way we would find anyone as skilled as him, for the 40k he will free up.

Not getting a transfer fee is one thing, but that cap space kills us

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 12:19 PM

I think that pretty much sums it up for me. Also from a National Team perspective it would be great to see him in a higher league in Europe.

ArmenJBX
08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
It's going to be a very different team without him, that's for sure.

Hopefully TFC gives him a raise and we keep him for another year or two.

Whoop
08-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Just hope wherever he goes, he plays.

Yohan
08-26-2010, 12:29 PM
why are people shocked and surprised that nana wants to try for europe?

MLS is getting more rep every season, but Europe is still the place to go to.

if Nana turned down more money from TFC to try for Europe twice, if rumours are true, nothing is really going to stop him, barring TFC dumping a whole lot of cash on him. (that's 300k mark I'd think)

though I'd be mildly annoyed if Nana chooses Denmark or Norway over MLS next season

Super Cereal
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah, you're probably bang on...

Carts...
Agreed.

Basically, him leaving is a nightmare as a fan, but I will support his decision and cheer him the whole way.

James Oliphant
08-26-2010, 01:00 PM

I don't see a lot of shock or surprise in this thread.

JonO
08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
^ Agreed. And people should get used to it. We are still very much a feeder league to the bright lights of European football...

razor787
08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Yea, sucks though. Any time a team lands great young talent, instead of thinking about how great he will be when they develop, the thought is on how the team will cope when they go to Europe...

SirBobSaget
08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Are we looking at a restricted free agent type situation here? I'm not 100% sure but think that if you offer a player under 23 (or something like that) current wage + % increase you get to maintain some control over rights to player.

My source is Football Manager 2010.

razor787
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
mls rules give us rights to the player for something like 5 years (unless we recieve money from a transfer).

Whoop
08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
In reality I think Scandinavia beckons. Or possibly one of the Low Countries like the Netherlands or Belgium.

Nana is not good enough to compete in any other European league.

It's just a case of he can make way more money there than here.

ManUtd4ever
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I completely understand Nana's desire to head for greener pastures. I'm disappointed that it's happening so soon but I can accept it as long as TFC management was diligent in offering him a reasonable contract extension...

Chevy
08-26-2010, 01:25 PM
^ Agreed. And people should get used to it. We are still very much a feeder league to the bright lights of European football...

As is just about every other league in the world with the exception of four.

You could even make the case that ALL football clubs are essentially farm teams for 10-15 major clubs (hint - we're not one of them :D).

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
You could even make the case that ALL football clubs are essentially farm teams for 10-15 major clubs (hint - we're not one of them :D).

What are you talking about? MLS' mom says we're cool.

v00d00daddy
08-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't know if Nana is going to get anywhere prominent AND get playing time. He's been very good for us but his game still has some pretty big gaps.

He tends to get lost on set pieces and his distribution is non existant.

I hope he stays and gets better with us and then wish him all the best but I'd be much more worried about losing a guy like Cann as opposed to Nana.

ilikemusic
08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Frankly, I question why any player would want to stay here. The front office is a complete shit show. You know the team is a sinking ship, so why would you stick around and let it bring you down with it?

Pachuco
08-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Gonna take Mo another 5 years to replace Nana with a decent CB. For those of you that think Harden and Henry are capable replacements you are in for a big surprise this year or next year. Harden is a backup, not a starter. And Henry, I know exactly what's going to happen with him. He's going to get thrown into the fire because we'll have no replacement for Nana and he'll be the next Ibby within months. Fans will be crying out to see his ass gone just like the shit Ibby has to put up with. TFC fans have no patience for youngsters to develop their game. Mostly because they are forced to develop fairly quickly because of Mo's inability to get capable replacements.

SweetOwnGoal
08-26-2010, 02:50 PM

Carts...

What I actually said about the Wheeler story: "It seems to be more speculation than reporting, but he could be on to something. We should keep an eye on this."

What many seem to think I said about the Wheeler story: "HE'S MAKING SHIT UP. FUCK WHEELER. THE SUN IS GARBAGE."

What I’m saying about Nana. I heard from several people and in several public places that he turned down a deal. I followed up with it by asking a few people I know and trust and that have given me good info before (and I’ll stand on my record here. I am not a rumour flinger, even though I do report with unnamed sources – I wish I didn’t have to, but the reality of the situation is that I have to if I want to get new info out). They told me he wants to see if there is interest elsewhere. They DIDN’T say that he’ll be gone, 100% for sure, or that he’s unhappy – just that he wanted to see what’s out there.

That isn’t all that shocking, really.

ACSertL
08-26-2010, 03:02 PM

MLS is getting more rep every season, but Europe is still the place to go to.

if Nana turned down more money from TFC to try for Europe twice, if rumours are true, nothing is really going to stop him, barring TFC dumping a whole lot of cash on him. (that's 300k mark I'd think)

though I'd be mildly annoyed if Nana chooses Denmark or Norway over MLS next season

The money is better. FC Kobenhavn anyone?

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
The money is better. FC Kobenhavn anyone?

I didn't mind when Atiba Hutchinson played (and got player of the year) there last year.

ACSertL
08-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I didn't mind when Atiba Hutchinson played there.

He moved on to PSV I think. Either way Scandinavia isn't anything to laugh at in terms of being another stepping stone to a bigger league in Europe. Plus the money.

I mean ideally I'd prefer to see Nana stay here, and for all we know right now he intends to, but I won't fault the guy for testing the European waters.

TFC Cityboy
08-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Nana would likely make a better longer term move if he gets another solid 1-2 years behind him in the MLS.
Assuming TFC is trying to shortchange the lad...remind me how much that useless wanker Peterson gets...around 200k yes? And Nana is on 40k.

No idea what the club has offered or if there are other reasons behind it, but this situation once again highlights the cap management in place at the club.

Blizzard
08-26-2010, 03:27 PM
GARCIA!

We don't pay Garcia, San Jose does (for the most part) as if you didn't know that already!

In any case, his contract is up at the end of this season. The Robbo contract will also be up so that money plus what we had to pay out to Gerba this season will all be available.

Blizzard
08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Nana would likely make a better longer term move if he gets another solid 1-2 years behind him in the MLS.
Assuming TFC is trying to shortchange the lad...remind me how much that useless wanker Peterson gets...around 200k yes? And Nana is on 40k.

No idea what the club has offered or if there are other reasons behind it, but this situation once again highlights the cap management in place at the club.

How so? We didn't sign Peterson to that contract. Preki wanted him so Mo made a deal to get him.

And how do we force Nana to sign a richer contract if he doesn't want to sign a contract? It was offered, he said no thanks.

If any question is to be asked, it should be asked of Preki.

"What did you ever see in Jacob Peterson coach?"

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2010, 03:39 PM
ah man, we've barely seen harden, ill reserve judgment until then

Broadview
08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Hopefully Emmanuel Gomez will be back in the mix next season. He showed some nice flashes of competence last year.

manic.street.preacher
08-26-2010, 04:16 PM
He moved on to PSV I think. Either way Scandinavia isn't anything to laugh at in terms of being another stepping stone to a bigger league in Europe. Plus the money.

I mean ideally I'd prefer to see Nana stay here, and for all we know right now he intends to, but I won't fault the guy for testing the European waters.

^and Atiba's been been in the starting XI every match so far (i think, please correct me if i'm wrong) ... there was a thing on PSV TV, like an introduction video type thing, and he talked about the biggest difference b/w leagues was how the Danish league was a lot more physical, rougher and the Dutch league was more technical ... that being said Cann can back from Denmark and has been stellar for us

obviously, i wished Nana would stay, but like everyone else here, i can't blame him for jumping at a chance to play overseas

rocker
08-26-2010, 06:03 PM
said it a million times over.....a 2.6 million cap will be the death of this league....

if this is true at all...good luck NANA...!! Your definitely worth more then the peanuts....MLS pay there young stars!

What does this situation with Nana have to do with the salary cap?

It's not like 1) TFC doesn't have the money to pay him (dump Usanov at year's end and there ya go); and 2) according to the report we're discussing, Nana turned down a TFC offer, which was obviously for more than he was making. So if Nana is playing for peanuts, it's his choice. Don't feel bad for him -- he's getting to play every day and show his talents.

The cap is really irrelevant to this question. I think Nana is very good and has great potential, but it's not like he deserves DP money or something. They can fit him in at a greatly increased wage, no problemo.

canadian_bhoy
08-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Who's going to sign him?

Have fun in Belarussian Div 2 Nana.

Derko
08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I think this is all speculation, by the wannabee agents out there, I think Nana deserves more than $40k, If MLSE don't offer a substantial increase do you blame the lad for looking elswhere, hell I make more than that and I'm a warehouse 'Dock Ape' for fuck's sake, not arguably TFC's best defender, if not one of the MLS' best defenders, It would be a shame if another MLS club picked him up, then TFC would score even less goals.
I think it would be a sad day in TFC land.

Derko
08-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Who's going to sign him?

Perhaps another MLS team, then we`d be even more fucked

jloome
08-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Even respected journalists don't name their sources. Though with the advent of the internet age and the increase in bloggers of course people are suspicious.

Even just 10-15 years ago, if it was printed in a newspaper "sources say..." you had to trust it because newspapers would have to go for bat for the reporter if he/she fucked up.

But with newspapers trying to compete with all these bloggers, I think standards have slipped.

Either way I trust Duane.

They don't name them when there's a risk to the person's occupation or safety (the good ones).

Any other reason and they're usually not one of the good ones. But yes, there are often good reasons why reliable reporters don't name sources.

I can't say I'd be surprised if he took a shot at Europe next year. He's probably got contacts in Scandinavia through other players, and he can make 10 times his $40,000 there without even starting (Rolfe reportedly went to Denmark for $600,000 a season).

Imagine the anti-Mo shitshow if this actually takes place.

JamboAl
08-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Who's going to sign him?

He could easily play in a place like Norway or Denmark and make 4 times what he's making now and get a much higher profile on the continent.

James17930
08-26-2010, 09:18 PM
As long as he goes to Spurs I don't care. :D

SirBobSaget
08-27-2010, 12:31 AM
The average wage for:
England Championship - $386K
League One - $123K
League Two - $100K

nevermind Prem at $2.3million

Theres no doubt that Nana can find hinself in at least the top 50 percentile of Championship so earning at least 400k. Then he either proves his ability and gets on in Prem at 2.3 mil or fails and comes back to a Canadian MLS team earning a tidy 200k.

An athlete in his position has to at least make a go at the big times, he was never going to play out his career at TFC. Thats like someone kicking butt for the Marlies and never accepting a call up to the Leafs.

Goincg back to avg wages, TFC is just about on par with league One in competing for talent wage-wise (sure theres other factors aka life in Toronto vs Swindon)

ensco
08-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Perhaps another MLS team, then we`d be even more fucked

this is quite possible. we have a war looming for young Canadians with Vancouver and Montreal.

although the form of "free agency" that MlS has, per the new CBA, doesn't let players pick their teams, but it does allow them to move without compensation to their old team

CretanBull
08-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Theres no doubt that Nana can find hinself in at least the top 50 percentile of Championship

I wouldn't say that there's no doubt about that...I can't see him starting for any of the top teams at all. He'd be a huge stretch to start in the second tier of teams, but might get a look beyond that. In the Championship, his best chance for starting would be for a newly promoted club from FL1, but a more realistic role for him wouldn't be as a starter at all but rather a depth player/project for a mid-table team...a team that knows its not going up and does what it has to do avoid relegation. He'd have to play that role for at least a year before he could be a starter in the one of the top 12 teams.

Alarius
08-27-2010, 07:22 AM
I would be very pissed off if he signed for another MLS club! If you're gonna leave us, leave us to go to Europe...

JonO
08-27-2010, 08:37 AM
They DIDN’T say that he’ll be gone, 100% for sure, or that he’s unhappy – just that he wanted to see what’s out there.

That isn’t all that shocking, really.
I'd just like to repeat this.

Nana is young and has a chance to take a shot at Europe. No guarantee that he'll make it anywhere, but signing a contract extension would likely damage any chance he has. I can't begrudge him for wanting to try.

If it doesn't work he re-signs with TFC. The risk of losing a job is minimal because with Vancouver (and then Montreal) joining the league the premium on Canadian players has increased.

Just seems like a risk worth taking to me. Of course it's not my career ;)

Pachuco
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I would be very pissed off if he signed for another MLS club! If you're gonna leave us, leave us to go to Europe...

I don't think he can do that can he? That would be free agency. I know there is some new rules about free agency with MLS but I don't think it would allow Nana to just refuse to sign with us and sign with somebody else.

Someone smarter please correct me.

SilverSamurai
08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't say that there's no doubt about that...I can't see him starting for any of the top teams at all. He'd be a huge stretch to start in the second tier of teams, but might get a look beyond that. In the Championship, his best chance for starting would be for a newly promoted club from FL1, but a more realistic role for him wouldn't be as a starter at all but rather a depth player/project for a mid-table team...a team that knows its not going up and does what it has to do avoid relegation. He'd have to play that role for at least a year before he could be a starter in the one of the top 12 teams.
Look at Simeon Jackson. He's worked his way up the ranks/leagues. Why can't Nana do the same?
He prob knows he'll have to fight for his life in order to get a starting spot anywhere he goes. Nothing new here.

I would do it if I was him.
Even though I don't play footy, I would love to be able to live abroad (especially in Europe).
Look at DeRo, didn't go because he had a family, now that Nana is a young single (presumably) guy is the best time to go. He can go play footy and see what it's like to live in a different country. Maybe meet his future wifey over there who knows?

bigtfcfan
08-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I can't see Nana playing in any big leagues just yet. The main reason is that every time he gets the ball he always either a) puts it out b) launches it down-field. He rarely makes decent passes to the midfield and until he learn to do that he won't make it.

Super
08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Who's going to sign him?

I agree. I don't think he's ready for much above that level right now. He'd be better off staying with us for another 2 years - and then maybe make the leap to Denmark or Holland (at best). Remember, Cann struggled in Denmark, and I still think he's a better player than Nana any day of the week.

Pachuco
08-27-2010, 11:44 AM
People said Edu wasn't ready just before he got traded as well. Nana has something going for him wich Cann doesn't, and that is age. It's not about whether he's ready now, it's about whether there is a team that thinks he has the potential to be ready with some coaching and training. If there is, that team will take a chance on him.

Why would he better off staying with us for 2 years if there is a team in Denmark or Holland willing to bring him into the club? That's just silly.

werewolf
08-27-2010, 11:56 AM
If he has European dreams, his best chance is to go ASAP. At 21, his best chance is to find a top club in the second division of quality country, Germany, England, France, Italy, Spain etc. Or a mid-table club of another reputable league (Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark, Portugal). He isn't going to get worse at these places, and he isn't getting younger here. If the right oppurtunity as such came about, he would be silly to turn it down. Each year he stays here is going to significantly hurt his chances, not that its unheard of for players in their mid-20s to leave MLS, but its not ideal from the European perspective, he is almost too old already.

Super
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Well, obviously he would be a loon not to go overseas if given a proper opportunity. But for now, though, I don't believe any club has even shown an interest.

Phil
08-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, obviously he would be a loon not to go overseas if given a proper opportunity. But for now, though, I don't believe any club has even shown an interest.

You know whats funny....we are all thinking that he is going to be looking to Europe.

What happens if *gasp* he signs with Vancouver for a good amount of cash?

They will need Canadians to round out there schedule and maybe are looking to scoop some talent.

Just food for thought on a Friday...

Ben - D.O.W.
08-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Well it looks like he's going to be on It's Called Football at 2:20 so maybe we can find out a little more about his future plans. And please let them not be Vancouver.

Pachuco
08-27-2010, 12:57 PM
so does anyone know if Nana can hold out and sign with another MLS club or with Vancouver? I didn't think he could. We would still hold his rights wouldn't we?

Ben - D.O.W.
08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Anyone listening and have updates? I can't at work.

Waggy
08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
From Molinaro (curtest of twitter)

also spoke to Nana about his future with #TFC. Said he hasn't talked 2 the club about an extension. Was hopeful he would remain in Toronto

http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/22288693737

Pachuco
08-27-2010, 01:42 PM
From Molinaro (curtest of twitter)

also spoke to Nana about his future with #TFC. Said he hasn't talked 2 the club about an extension. Was hopeful he would remain in Toronto

http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/22288693737

So is Mo starting rumours that he has tried to make Nana an offer? wouldn't put it past him :)

ensco
08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
You know whats funny....we are all thinking that he is going to be looking to Europe.

What happens if *gasp* he signs with Vancouver for a good amount of cash?

They will need Canadians to round out there schedule and maybe are looking to scoop some talent.

Just food for thought on a Friday...

RRPB, under the new labor agreement, I think anyone who declares for free agency has to go through a re-entry draft. So Nana can choose to leave, but can't pick his destination. Of course there's a decent chance that Vancouver is at or near the top of the re-entry draft list when this happens. That would be worth understanding better.

If you are the team picking first in the re-entry draft, and you know that Nana has value to Vancouver and/or Montreal, then you have interesting trade scenarios. So he could wind up there anyway.

Pachuco
08-27-2010, 03:14 PM
RRPB, under the new labor agreement, I think anyone who declares for free agency has to go through a re-entry draft. So Nana can choose to leave, but can't pick his destination. Of course there's a decent chance that Vancouver is at or near the top of the re-entry draft list when this happens. That would be worth understanding better.

If you are the team picking first in the re-entry draft, and you know that Nana has value to Vancouver and/or Montreal, then you have interesting trade scenarios. So he could wind up there anyway.

But I thought there was something about only veterans can declare for free agency. I could be wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere.

rocker
08-27-2010, 03:18 PM
I wish the Players Union would release the new CBA.... it'd be a good read.

From what I remember too, a player who goes through the re-entry thing, isn't going to get to negotiate his own salary. I think the player got some kind of standard bump up... (cuz MLS can't negotiate with itself). So Nana --- if he's even eligible for this -- would still make little more than 40K.
But this is all from memory during the negotiations.

CretanBull
08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Look at Simeon Jackson. He's worked his way up the ranks/leagues. Why can't Nana do the same?
He prob knows he'll have to fight for his life in order to get a starting spot anywhere he goes. Nothing new here.

I wasn't saying that he can't do that, I was saying that what he'd have to do..I was responding to the suggestion that he'd step in to one of the top clubs in the Championship.

Derko
08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think he can do that can he? That would be free agency. I know there is some new rules about free agency with MLS but I don't think it would allow Nana to just refuse to sign with us and sign with somebody else.

Someone smarter please correct me.

I'm not sure, but I think you may be right, I just threw that one out there, because I think Nana could sign for a decent Euro League at a decent wage, so TFC should at least make a decent offer to keep Nana interested in TFC. He is the most competent defender we have had, in my opinion.:drinking:

ensco
08-27-2010, 05:20 PM
But I thought there was something about only veterans can declare for free agency. I could be wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere.

You may be right. Nana may not be eligible.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/03/23/mls-unveils-labor-agreement-details/

T.O TILL I DIE
08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
i read nane for a second and got excited

johnmolinaro
08-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I talked to Nana today 1-on-1 after practice and asked him about his future.

He said he's tied to the club until next summer and that he hasn't been offered any new deal by the club, nor has he had any talks with the team about an extension.

He said he wants to focus on the rest of the season - hence, his decision to not get into contract negotiations.

He also said he wants to remain with TFC and was hopeful he'd be still with the club when his current deal expires.

Take all of this for what it's worth.

John
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

Super
08-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Thank you for that, John.

werewolf
08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
I assume "next summer" means through all of next season.

Barrett got a mutli-year deal...surprising that they havent even discussed something with Attakora.

GuelphStorm2007
08-29-2010, 12:36 AM
It will not surprise me that Nana would leave TFC. If hwe wants to try his luck in Europe go for it.

Yohan
08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I assume "next summer" means through all of next season.

Barrett got a mutli-year deal...surprising that they havent even discussed something with Attakora.
Was Barrett at the end of his contract when he signed a new one with TFC? I can't recall. Plus he is a Yank, and more attractive to American clubs than Canadian Nana

J .
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I hope one day he plays in the EPL. His development is really growing. Personally, I think for the CMNT the best thing for him is to play in a European league like Holland before moving to England. For TFC, it would be a very huge hole we would have to fill and really hurt our defense.