PDA

View Full Version : Academy Player signing

Ben - D.O.W.
08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
So twitter is currently blowing up with talk of Toronto signing it's first Academy player tomorrow. From Luke Wileman the announcement will be at Real Sports at 2:30.

So anyone have any thoughts on who it will be? My money is on Doneil.

pekduck
08-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Lindsay? Since both OBW and Ibby are listless at the moment?

Ben - D.O.W.
08-25-2010, 03:09 PM
He did score that hat-trick a while ago.

Oldtimer
08-25-2010, 03:18 PM
JohnMolinaro

#TFC (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC) to sign its 1st academy player. Good news - I would like to see more of this in the future. 16 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/22115243192) via web

http://twitter.com/johnmolinaro

ArmenJBX
08-25-2010, 03:18 PM
This is awesome! It could be Henry because he was at the game yesterday, on the bench.

pekduck
08-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Signing the kid and feed him to the diving wolves in CONCACAF?

Or this is the 'succession planning' for Garcia?

Oldtimer
08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
#torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc) press conference to announce signing of player from Academy will be at #realsports (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23realsports) at 2:30 p.m. Thursday 8 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/22115045877) via web

Big day for #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc). Congrats to Stuart, Jason and the rest of the Academy coaches who work very hard developing players. 10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/22114890407) via web

Milestone moment for #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc). First Academy player signing with club. Announcement tomorrow afternoon. 11 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/22114812542) via webhttp://twitter.com/LukeWileman

Suds
08-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Whoever it ends up being this is great news. From the start TFC made a decision to invest in a youth program and that was great for our team and for young players in general.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I bet they've had this in the hopper for a while and just waited to spring on us now to get rid of some of the bad taste of last night. I would assume it's Henry.

ArmenJBX
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
We already have a really young team, maybe the youngest in the MLS. A lot of our starters (Frei, Attakora, etc.) are young. Sanyang is only 18. The future looks good in terms of developing players. This academy signing is the icing on what's looking like a very delicious cake.

inb4 The cake is a lie.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
TFC is a young team, but I'm not convinced they're doing a good job developing players. I would argue the team has only really developed one player (Attakora).

I'm all for TFC signing academy players, but where they going to play?

ArmenJBX
08-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm all for trading Joseph Nane to a 3rd division Guatemalan side and signing more academy players.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
^ I agree. Nane is a perfect example of how being a young team doesn't mean you're developing talent. He's young, but he's not being put into a situation were he can develop. A lot of these guys come out of college as good as they're going to get,

I'm all for firing Mo and Preki and putting Rafael Carbajal is charge. Then TFC would start developing young talent.

Lucky Strike
08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
We have 24 players on roster, won't this mean someone has to be let go? Unless Kocic being on loan to Serbian White Eagles is not counted, but in this case, it's a temporary situation at best.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
^ Pretty sure the rules allow you to carry academy signings over and above the roster limits. Kocic still counts towards the roster. I wonder how official his loan to SWE is?

zooko62000
08-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone know if there will be a stream or if it will be on GolTV?

gtaguy
08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
im just playin devils advocate here but this news comes precisely after we have a bad loss in a game that could have easily been won.
If torontos first stringers were on the field right from the start i would guess this signing would have come at a latter date.
Now with two guys negated a chance to play the CCL becuase of suspensions i put my money down that this was a request made ealier rather then later, and TFC's need for depth and bodies was too much for TFC to handle.
Loosin two player for international play has not left pricki any choices but to promote from within. And Mo doesn't get away from this becuase he failed to atleast get us one more body before transfer season closed. Which if you look quite possibly could be a replacement for that failure..

Now back to reality .. I seriously hope they consider Doneil Henry . Glad that the reserves are starting to give back to our institucion.

Jeffro
08-25-2010, 06:10 PM
im just playin devils advocate here but this news comes precisely after we have a bad loss in a game that could have easily been won.
If torontos first stringers were on the field right from the start i would guess this signing would have come at a latter date.
Now with two guys negated a chance to play the CCL becuase of suspensions i put my money down that this was a request made ealier rather then later, and TFC's need for depth and bodies was too much for TFC to handle.
Loosin two player for international play has not left pricki any choices but to promote from within. And Mo doesn't get away from this becuase he failed to atleast get us one more body before transfer season closed. Which if you look quite possibly could be a replacement for that failure..

Now back to reality .. I seriously hope they consider Doneil Henry . Glad that the reserves are starting to give back to our institucion.

Academy kids can play in CONCACAF without signing to the club.

gtaguy
08-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Academy kids can play in CONCACAF without signing to the club.

they still need the bodies and a scoring touch in both mls and ccl.

Glad you told me that rule tbh i didn't know.

rocker
08-25-2010, 06:27 PM
^ Pretty sure the rules allow you to carry academy signings over and above the roster limits.

you are correct. I seem to remember thinking it was 2 beyond the regular roster.

ag futbol
08-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Nane is a perfect example of how being a young team doesn't mean you're developing talent.[/B] He's young, but he's not being put into a situation were he can develop.
We've got plenty of others.

Inevitably some players will make it and others will hit the skids. But there don't seem to be many players who are brought along the way Attakora was.

Oldtimer
08-25-2010, 08:27 PM
^ Pretty sure the rules allow you to carry academy signings over and above the roster limits. They do, and the academy signings are protected in the Expansion draft (above the 11 regular players that are protected).

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-25-2010, 10:02 PM
We've got plenty of others.

Inevitably some players will make it and others will hit the skids. But there don't seem to be many players who are brought along the way Attakora was.

That's the thing, I don't know if you remember in year one when they had the 10 man development roster and TFC had loads of young players? I always felt they should have been able to develop at least three of those players in to MLS calibre players. Attakora's great, but I think the team should have been able to make a player out of Christian (I think that was his first name) Nunez. Look what TFC has done to Gabe Gala. Remember year one when they brought him off the bench and even started him a few games? He looked a real prospect. Now he just looks lost out there.

Even if Preki and Mo both stay, TFC needs a development superemo who can bring players along.

Yohan
08-25-2010, 10:13 PM
MLS really needs a reserve league for (semi) competitive games for development. a loan agreement program with a NASL or USL club would help too

rocker
08-25-2010, 10:35 PM
i think the first generation of kids were more suspects than prospects.
rather than TFC not developing them, I don't they really had as much potential as this next crop of youngsters who have grown up in the academy.
many of that first generation of kids went off to other teams and haven't proven anything. were they "ruined" by TFC? nah. More space filler than anything.

Phil
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM
My money is on Henry.

jloome
08-26-2010, 12:11 AM
That's the thing, I don't know if you remember in year one when they had the 10 man development roster and TFC had loads of young players? I always felt they should have been able to develop at least three of those players in to MLS calibre players. Attakora's great, but I think the team should have been able to make a player out of Christian (I think that was his first name) Nunez. Look what TFC has done to Gabe Gala. Remember year one when they brought him off the bench and even started him a few games? He looked a real prospect. Now he just looks lost out there.

Even if Preki and Mo both stay, TFC needs a development superemo who can bring players along.

Tyler Rosenlund is turning into a pretty good player in Rochester.

KezmanCCCC
08-26-2010, 01:35 AM
most definitely Henry

redcard
08-26-2010, 05:49 AM
is this the big signing that mo was speaking of?

Shway
08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
The question is where they going to play?

Well if you have been reading closey around the league, almost every team has made an academy signing literally, except Columbus, Kansas City, New England. (not counting philadephia, san jose, or seattle b/c 2010 was their first year with the academy)

Also, with the new rule that NCAA has passed, that it allows college prospects to play with professional players in games(used to be only practice) without affecting there NCAA eligibilty.

This will allow teams to test the waters even further to see if their academy players are ready to make the jump, by playing integrated games with signed academy players, and first reserve players.

So it comes to a question, that the league knows, teams know that there almost is for certain some type of reserve league set up happening in 2011, but we don't know what it is.

Outlook of all Academy Players Signed by their first team:

Chicago Fire - Victor Pineda (2010)
Chivas USA - Jorge Flores(2007), Gerson Mayen (2008), Cesar Zamora (2009), Bryan De Le Fuente(2010)
Colorado Rapids - Davy Armstrong(2010)
Columbus Crew -
FC Dallas - Bryan Levya(2009), Ruben De Luna(2010), Victor Ulloa(2010), Moises Hernandez(2010)
D.C. United - Bill Hamid(2009), Andy Najar(2010), Conor Shanosky(2010)
Houston Dynamo - Tyler Deric(2009), Francisco Navas Cobo(2010)
Kansas City Wizards -
Los Angeles Galaxy - Tristan Bowen(2009)
New England Revolution -
New York Red Bulls - Giorgi Chirgadze(2009), Juan Agudelo(2010)
Philadelphia Union -
Real Salt Lake - (signing 2 players soon)(2010)
San Jose Earthquakes -
Seattle Sounders -
Toronto FC - Doneill Henry(2010)

bones
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Is anyone down there yet with a spoiler?

Bones...

bones
08-26-2010, 01:28 PM
yep, it's Henry.

anto7
08-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Is anyone down there yet with a spoiler?

Bones...
Already confirmed as Henry on the TFC website

Oldtimer
08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/08/first-academy-player-sign-pro-contract

Oldtimer
08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
New Jersey may have their Henry, but we have ours!

ArmenJBX
08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Kit number yet?

Shway
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
he might play this weekend considering NAna is oout who knows

.....and since they listened to my avatar,
time to make a lindsay one

Oldtimer
08-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Picture:

http://yfrog.com/ca2w9rj

Ben - D.O.W.
08-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Kit number yet?

Looks like it'll be 28.

ArmenJBX
08-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome to FIFA 10 Doneil Henry, 57 overall :D

tfc2007
08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
little high dont you think?

rocker
08-26-2010, 06:24 PM
good for Doneil. I've liked what I've seen of him.
I was surprised today to read he's only 17. I thought he'd be 18 or even 19 given his size.

tfc2007
08-26-2010, 08:37 PM
... What does he do as far as school come September?

jloome
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
good for Doneil. I've liked what I've seen of him.
I was surprised today to read he's only 17. I thought he'd be 18 or even 19 given his size.

So domestic players can play professionally at 17 but everyone else has to wait until 18? What about Sanyang? Or is that because it was an international transfer?

Shway
08-27-2010, 10:37 AM
So domestic players can play professionally at 17 but everyone else has to wait until 18? What about Sanyang? Or is that because it was an international transfer?

sanyang had to wait aswell!

Waggy
08-27-2010, 10:40 AM
... What does he do as far as school come September?

He was doing a special program at... I forget what high school (it's in the article), where he practices in the AM and takes classes in the PM. Same deal that the Degrassi kids have I believe

JonO
08-27-2010, 10:45 AM
pretty sure it was because of the international transfer...

tfc2007
08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
He was doing a special program at... I forget what high school (it's in the article), where he practices in the AM and takes classes in the PM. Same deal that the Degrassi kids have I believe

Yeah, that was when he was with the academy, but now that he is on the actual team what will he be doing?

Oldtimer
08-27-2010, 12:18 PM

pretty sure it was because of the international transfer...

Correct. There is a FIFA rule forbidding international transfers to play until 18. Doesn't apply to domestic players. It was put in place mainly because of some Euro clubs exploiting youths from poor countries (there were some horror stories, for example, of youths being promised the moon, then being cut and left in a foreign country without even so much as a plane ticket home).

razor787
08-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Thats what he will be doing now that he is on the main team.

rocker
08-27-2010, 03:14 PM
So now that he's on the first team, he's makin' 40K right? And that basically eliminates the possibility of him playing in the NCAA?
I remember reading that the NCAA changed its rules, saying that players who aren't paid but play alongside paid players are still eligible for the NCAA.
Unless Henry is making $0, he's not going NCAA, right?

Keyman
08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
So now that he's on the first team, he's makin' 40K right? And that basically eliminates the possibility of him playing in the NCAA?
I remember reading that the NCAA changed its rules, saying that players who aren't paid but play alongside paid players are still eligible for the NCAA.
Unless Henry is making $0, he's not going NCAA, right?

His salary is $48,000. Doubt NCAA is in his future.

rocker
08-28-2010, 11:35 AM
His salary is $48,000. Doubt NCAA is in his future.

Good! Now he can focus on being a pro. I think he's got what it takes to be a good pro in MLS and will develop far better at TFC than in college.

Where'd you get the 48K number? Not bad for a 17 year old.
At that age I was reaching under the couch cushions to get change.

Yeoman
08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
so something came up in my head at the academy game with london yesterday, is he going to stay with the team this season? or will they loan him back to the academy?

koryo
08-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Good! Now he can focus on being a pro. I think he's got what it takes to be a good pro in MLS and will develop far better at TFC than in college.

Where'd you get the 48K number? Not bad for a 17 year old.
At that age I was reaching under the couch cushions to get change.

Couch, you were lucky to have a couch :)

Seriously, looking forward to seeing what this kid will do.

CretanBull
08-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Couch, you were lucky to have a couch :)

Luxury. My family stayed in a pot-hole in middle of road.