PDA

View Full Version : MLS and Designated Players

Yohan
08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/08/24/2085908/goalcom-special-mls-dps-not-not-necessarily-bank-breakers

Good article on DP in MLS

Is Shitlicker the best DP ever so far? (ugh... I hate him so much lol)

As much as JPA has been the 1 man scoring machine for the Shite, he doesn't really make the team better like Shitlicker has done for Columbus

ArmenJBX
08-24-2010, 03:52 PM
In terms of which DP's make their teams better, I'd say JDG does a bang up job. Without him, we crumbled in defense against New York. We need JDG. That being said, there seems to be two types of DPs; Celebrity DP's like Beckham, Henry, Marquez, Ljunburg and Nery Castillo, and Utility DPs like Omar Bravo, JDG, Mista, Juan Pablo Angel and Schelotto. The difference seems to be that the utility type DPs effect their teams performance, while the celeb DPs raise the teams profile, and their individual performances seem to be highlighted more then the teams.

Case in point: MLS Headline didn't read "NYRB demolish Toronto FC" it was "Rafa Marquez demolishes Toronto FC"

Globetrotter
08-24-2010, 04:27 PM
^That's not a case in point. All sports pick a star of the game on occasion and claim it was a one man show beating another team. Gretzky score 4, beats Calgary. That argument was your case in point? Rafa got a sweet goal and was the delivery boy on Nane's mistake.

Derko
08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes it appeared that Nane gave Marquez all the space in the world to set up that strike, I only wish some of TFC's strikers will start taking strikes like that just outside of the box, you don't always have to score a goal from inside the box. just my opinion!!

razor787
08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
We do strike the ball outside the box, we just never hit the target. Our outside the box strikes always either go over the net, or to either side.