PDA

View Full Version : Ali Gerba gets Impact's first ever hat trick

Oldtimer
08-22-2010, 08:46 PM
5-0 win in an away game:

MONTREAL - Ali Gerba didn’t know he was the first Impact player to score three goals in a game until told by The Gazette.
“Oh boy, that’s something,” Gerba said Sunday. “But really the important thing is that we won a game we had to. We all played very well.”
The 23-year-old striker, scoreless in six games since joining the Impact July 15, scored three times in the first half to power the Impact to a resounding 5-0 victory over Crystal Palace in Baltimore Saturday.

Gerba, along with teammates Rocco Placentino and team captain Nevio Pizzolitto and several others, had been called out by Impact president Joey Saputo last Monday for lack of leadership and commitment with the club in a funk and facing the possibility of missing the USSF Division-2 Pro League playoffs after winning the championship last year.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Gerba+nets+Impact+first+trick/3428188/story.html (http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Gerba+nets+Impact+first+trick/3428188/story.html#ixzz0xODK3b1s)

Joey knew what he was doing...

Time to cue the complaints...

Pachuco
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Good for Ali, he deservedly got called out, but he responded in the best way possible. We'll see if this is a fluke or of he builds from this momentum.

razor787
08-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Good for him. Hopefully this puts him on good form, and he can bang in a few mroe in games to come. He definately needs something to get his career going. Without club stability, its no wonder he doesnt score too many. This might be just what he needs to finish off the season with a decent strike record.

wzhxvy
08-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Ali is 23 ? :-) I think not. Maybe Preki should have called him out instead of kicking him off the team...ah well...whatever

James17930
08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Guys, c'mon -- this will last one game and he'll be back to slowly wandering around the pitch in no time.

Brooker
08-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Nice to see he's finally found his level.... 2nd division.

He also went 6 games without a goal, right?

razor787
08-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Ali is 23 ? :-) I think not. Maybe Preki should have called him out instead of kicking him off the team...ah well...whatever

Yea, he is definately not 23. I checked wiki, and that has him as 27. No way any 23 year old has as many pro teams as gerba :P

Technorgasm
08-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Sonny, JDGs step bro. . complains up and down abotu Ali getting let go. . weekly.
ini fact I was just out for a smoke with him and again he came up. .

then we coem back in to THIS news.

our asses are just BEGGING to get bit on this one. . . Preki would have kept him. can we switch him with surplus-to-requirements OBW?

tfcleeds
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
When I first read the thread title, I thought it referred to a hat-trick of pie trucks...

Pachuco
08-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Sonny, JDGs step bro. . complains up and down abotu Ali getting let go. . weekly.
ini fact I was just out for a smoke with him and again he came up. .

then we coem back in to THIS news.

our asses are just BEGGING to get bit on this one. . . Preki would have kept him. can we switch him with surplus-to-requirements OBW?

One hat trick in a lower division doesn't exactly prove he would've done the same in the MLS. So I'm not sure how THIS news changes anything.

Keystone FC
08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Wait a minute. In ALL of the Impacts history they have never had a player score a hat trick until Ali? WOW!

Oldtimer
08-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Wait a minute. In ALL of the Impacts history they have never had a player score a hat trick until Ali? WOW!

That's a good point. They were founded in 1992.

menefreghista
08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
My memory sucks, but I can't remember TFC ever getting a hat trick in MLS play.

Some one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Whoop
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Has not happened in MLS play.

Only hat trick in the history of TFC was DeRo getting one in Montreal in 2009.

menefreghista
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Has not happened in MLS play.

Only hat trick in the history of TFC was DeRo getting one in Montreal in 2009.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Roogsy
08-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I am happy for Ali. I am hoping he finds regular good form and is back on the CMNT spectrum.

ensco
08-23-2010, 04:39 PM
A dutch second division player almost got 3 of them yesterday

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Johan-Voskamp-scored-eight-goals-in-debut-match?urn=sow-264201

Brooker
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
A dutch second division player almost got 3 of them yesterday

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Johan-Voskamp-scored-eight-goals-in-debut-match?urn=sow-264201

lmao! 8 goals in his debut? :drinking:

razor787
08-24-2010, 11:57 AM
pffft... When someone gets a hat trick of a hat trick of hat tricks, THEN I will be impressed.

and for those of you who are doing the math... thats 27 goals

Petor
09-06-2010, 08:29 AM
"FORWARD ALI GERBA NAMED USSF SECOND DIVISION PLAYER OF THE MONTH"
http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1475&Focus=0

Hitcho
09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
pffft... When someone gets a hat trick of a hat trick of hat tricks, THEN I will be impressed.

and for those of you who are doing the math... thats 27 goals

Didn't australia beat someone like iran 27-0 in a world cup qualifying play off game or something? obviously not all by one player though! :D

Roogsy
09-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Ali is going to come back next year and burn us for a goal or two in the NCC. I am sure of it.

menefreghista
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Didn't australia beat someone like iran 27-0 in a world cup qualifying play off game or something? obviously not all by one player though! :D

It wasn't Iran, it was a small south pacific island. New Caledonia or Fiji or some other country like that.

Brooker
09-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Ali is going to come back next year and burn us for a goal or two in the NCC. I am sure of it.

Which is why somebody needs to waffle him with a tire iron in the parking lot before the game.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Australia 31:0 American Samoa. Archie Thompson netted 13.;)

rocker
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM

That's predicated on Ali sticking with a team more than one season ;)
What are the odds?

deschamp86
09-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Gerba scored another two for Montreal tonight.

So in the past three games he has scored seven goals.

Roogsy
09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
That's predicated on Ali sticking with a team more than one season ;)
What are the odds?

Well, unlike his last team, his current team is actually giving minutes on the pitch. So I am guessing there is a good chance.

ag futbol
09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Video evidence here (get your prozak ready)

http://www.rds.ca/zv2/?categorie=impact

Oldtimer
09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Gerba scored another two for Montreal tonight.

So in the past three games he has scored seven goals.

Yet another TFC striker catches fire after leaving the club.

Obviously, coaching is the issue. Gerba himself said as much.

v00d00daddy
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Yet another TFC striker catches fire after leaving the club.

Obviously, coaching is the issue. Gerba himself said as much.

I would think it's a lack of quality players on our team in important spots.

We have no creative, attacking midfielders.

There is not one player on our squad (maybe Mista but he doesn't play) that could consistently give a through ball like the one on Gerba's first goal.

Instead we rely on DeRo to take the ball...look up for anyone who will give him the ball right back.....or he just shoots..from anywhere.

A far cry from Amado Guevara.

That's what we're missing most. A player like him