PDA

View Full Version : Preki-Mista rift?

Azerban
08-21-2010, 05:50 PM
gareth_wheeler

Problems w #Mista and #Preki - Mista in a fit, not injured, will go to Panama - check torontosun.com later for my story. #TorontoFC #TFC
about 2 hours ago via web

Problems with #Mista and #Preki - writing about it now - could be the end of the Spaniard at #TorontoFC
about 3 hours ago via web

What the fuck?!

London
08-21-2010, 05:52 PM
and the TFC soap opera continues....

Yeoman
08-21-2010, 05:52 PM
wtf?
is this twitter?
how the fuck should i know?
hi london :)

West220Side
08-21-2010, 05:53 PM
... What the hell? kind of sudden, isn't it? the guy has only been here a month! I thought he was taken off because of a possible back injury?

Azerban
08-21-2010, 05:53 PM
no one expects you to know anything yeoman, sit down and look purty

Yeoman
08-21-2010, 05:54 PM
but i only sit when i'm pouring water into peoples beer?

Bloor West FC
08-21-2010, 06:16 PM
HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GOOOO HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GOOOO!!!!!.............. Lets just spend some money MLSE and get a staff that we can all get along with :) bye bye MO bye bye Preki and hire Nascar as the coach and GM :).

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 06:27 PM
WOW - Just WOW

denime
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Guys watch Preki's post game interview.
After he was asked about Mista ,Preki clearly said it is HEALTH ISSUE.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2289

I'm might be wrong so check yourself before we get crazy about twitter news

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I am waiting for confirmation either way. I won't fly off the handle until we see some evidence either way.

Just one thing Denime, I don't care if it's Preki, Mo, Paul B, Jimmy B, Cummins, Carter or whoever else is giving the presser. If you believe everything said in a presser, you'll be buying a whole lot of BS. I am not saying Preki is lying to us right now, but I sure hope you're not too easily convinced just because you're pro-Preki.

I want to see what the guys who do the investigating have to say.

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Guys watch Preki's post game interview.
After he was asked about Mista ,Preki clearly said it is HEALTH ISSUE.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2289

I'm might be wrong so check yourself before we get crazy about twitter news

Wouldn't be the first time that TFC denies locker room problems while the media tells us there is. Preki saying Mista has a health issue sounds alot like locker rooms problems considering he was on the field and running around. If he really pulled a muscle, torn something, had a headache I'm sure Preki would've just called it what it was.

James17930
08-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't be the first time that TFC denies locker room problems while the media tells us there is. Preki saying Mista has a health issue sounds alot like locker rooms problems considering he was on the field and running around. If he really pulled a muscle, torn something, had a headache I'm sure Preki would've just called it what it was.

Unless it's something like, hemorrhoids, or something. I've often thought that sometimes when players have 'undisclosed' injuries it just means it's something considered 'embarrassing' so they don't want to say it.

ensco
08-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Hmmm.....ever since I learned that Mista is getting $2MM annualized, I have been wondering how the decision to sign Mista was taken. Now I'm even more curious.

He is an older, relatively obscure player who played only 1100 minutes total in the 3 years 2006-2007 to 2009-2010. (Just by way of comparison, Fuad Ibrahim has 952 minutes in his TFC career, which is only 2 years long so far.)

OK it's La Liga, but we've had guys from big leagues before (Robert springs to mind as a comparable) and Mista does less for TFC in terms of selling tickets or growing ratings than Robert did. Is Mista really so different than Robert in terms of his playing credentials? Robert came in for $335K annualized at a similar point in his career.

(This is not about whether I "like" Mista or not - I like what I've seen from both him and Santos so far).

Wagner
08-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Consider the source.
Wheeler is a dork.

Remember the Pulitzer level work he did after the big Columbus invasion...nuff said.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Wheeler is a dork for sure.

But he has sources. Believe me.

That's why I am willing to wait as opposed to either going into a rage or dismissing him altogether.

bgnewf
08-21-2010, 07:40 PM
If Wheeler is wrong on this then I think he is done when it come to any sort of credibility

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Yup. Dem's be fightin' words as they say.

If there is something there and Wheeler has info, then it's kudos to him for the score.

If there is nothing there and he is starting a false rumour, he will never be believed again.

Carts
08-21-2010, 07:44 PM
If Wheeler is wrong on this then I think he is done when it come to any sort of credibility

However, if he is right - we're in big, big trouble... :(

Mista & Preki have been together for "no time" at all, and have had success... So if there is a rift - we're f*cked....

Carts...

Red Rat
08-21-2010, 07:46 PM

I hope that you are right ...

rr

rocker
08-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Kristian jack with details on the non-rift:

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2010/08/21/mista-camp-tells-the-score-all-is-well-at-tfc/

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 07:55 PM
J-Mol indicating nothing wrong in the locker room. Wheeler's got some 'splainin to do!

I've ben told there's no issue between Mista and Preki, so you don't have to worry about the Spaniard going anywhere.

As for Robinson being a class act, I agree:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/08/21/sp-robinson-newyork-redbulls.html

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

wzhxvy
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
The guys on the Fan590 were also speaking of a Mista issue. Sounds like there was a rumour amongst the guys/gals in the pressbox.

Hitcho
08-21-2010, 08:27 PM
The guys on the Fan590 were also speaking of a Mista issue. Sounds like there was a rumour amongst the guys/gals in the pressbox.

So here's what a credible journo does - follow up, tap yopur sources, make some calls, get a good basis for what you're about to write about, then present a reasonably balanced article which can be a bit inflammatory but at least has something behind it to support your position.

Here's what a two-bit hack does - piss in your pants at the first hint of excitement, tweet something outrageous as fast as you can based on nothing more than unsubstantiated rumour and then smear egg all over your face as a precaution, since you'll probably need to do it anyway. :facepalm:

legia_tfc
08-21-2010, 08:32 PM
So here's what a credible journo does - follow up, tap yopur sources, make some calls, get a good basis for what you're about to write about, then present a reasonably balanced article which can be a bit inflammatory but at least has something behind it to support your position.

Here's what a two-bit hack does - piss in your pants at the first hint of excitement, tweet something outrageous as fast as you can based on nothing more than unsubstantiated rumour and then smear egg all over your face as a precaution, since you'll probably need to do it anyway. :facepalm:

eg-fucking-xactly.

Wheeler is a hack -- remember this article? http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/25/13362231.html

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 08:36 PM

Signed Sealed Delivered! Nuff said!

Inklink
08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
The Sun has absolutely zero credibility to me, so it's not surprising that a writer from the Sun f's up like this. Joke of a newspaper.

bgnewf
08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Gareth is a nice enough guy in person, but he is a twat of a journalist.

I get from time to time texts, emails and calls about stuff going on at TFC and I have almost never ever been able to speak about them on my blog, even if true, BECAUSE I WAS NEVER ABLE TO CONFIRM THE INFORMATION WITH A SECOND SOURCE.
I am not a journalist.... far from it actually, but even I know that.

Anyways It will definitely be "interesting" over a cuppa coffee tomorrow morning reading what he "reports"

CretanBull
08-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Apparently Mista was just mad because he was taken off, he wanted to play more. The 'health issue' is Preki still not convinced that Mista is in proper game shape and being down by 2 at the half decided to pull the plug.

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Apparently Mista was just mad because he was taken off, he wanted to play more. The 'health issue' is Preki still not convinced that Mista is in proper game shape and being down by 2 at the half decided to pull the plug.

If a player gets taken off at half and ISN'T mad I would question his motivation to play. This is regular stuff in the world of sports. You want guys like this, guys who want to be on the field.

TheKing7
08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Mista has seemed to come along in the past 2-3 games.
Showing his skill and his work rate has improved.
This is shocking (if true).

TheKing7
08-21-2010, 09:14 PM
In preki's post game interview the mista question comes up - it seems very very awkward and suspicious "health issue"

andyc
08-21-2010, 09:14 PM
How many times has a little bit of smoke led to a huge fire with this club???

I seriously hope that this is not the case this time but there is a smell of spin going on here - Where's the health issue and is he traveling??

Too much drama!

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 09:20 PM
One thing I just picked up is Kristian Jack saying it's nothing and he'll be on the plane to Panama Sunday night. But Preki himself says that he doesn't even know whether Mista will go to Panama (due to health issues).

Krisitan Jack's source is supposed to be Mista's agent. now I'm thinking, is the agent just feeding KJ a bunch of horseshit? The way I read it, sounds like the source says there's nothing wrong and everything is perfect. But Preki in a way admits there could be something wrong if he doesn't know whether he'll fly to Panama.

I'm inclined to believe the guys with a reputation (KJ and John Mo) over a hack. But this one thing just made me a little suspicious. It could be nothing though.

Shakes McQueen
08-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a minor disagreement over playing time being blown out of proportion.

Any reporter who actually investigated this seems to think it's bunk. But then again, I suppose a Gareth Wheeler tweet is just as good?

- Scott

ensco
08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
How many times has a little bit of smoke led to a huge fire with this club???

I seriously hope that this is not the case this time but there is a smell of spin going on here - Where's the health issue and is he traveling??

Too much drama!

Never a dull moment for FC Hollywood of the North

andyc
08-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Never a dull moment for FC Hollywood of the North

Feels like I'm supporting a fucking soap opera...

Blizzard
08-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Mista has seemed to come along in the past 2-3 games.
Showing his skill and his work rate has improved.
This is shocking (if true).

It's not.

jloome
08-21-2010, 10:13 PM
He looked very frustrated with his teammates in the first half and I wonder, given that Saric speaks Spanish, whether he didn't unload his temper at halftime, leading to Preki pulling him.

He's always been a very fiery guy, and there's no way he was pulled for fitness or performance, as he and DeRo were probably our two best players in the first half.

My guess: This was a very dumb tactical move that blew up and pissed off the new star player, who expressed it, and then got publicly threatened with not playing in CCL. As long as everyone makes up nice, no biggie.

dantdot
08-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Here's the story:

TFC's Mista refused to come out for second half: Source

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/08/21/15100231.html

Edit: Well was, until it stopped working just now.

jloome
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Story's already been taken down. What is going on, here?

razor787
08-21-2010, 10:21 PM
haha its been taken down already

jloome
08-21-2010, 10:22 PM
It`s been taken down but is still in the index. The way our system works, that means it was almost certainly deliberately removed as an editorial call.

Whoop
08-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Try this link.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/08/21/15100611.html

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Try this link.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/08/21/15100611.html

I don't know if I can believe a word this says. The first heading said "Mista refuses to come out at halftime" and this article goes on to talk about Mista being substituted by Preki which lead to the incident.

H Bomb
08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
"The suggestion that Mista is, or was, injured seems to be a complete fabrication"

Wheeler knows a lot about fabrications.

jloome
08-21-2010, 10:33 PM
OK, that`s pretty bad. "The real truth suggests the latter," he writes.

The truth can`t suggest something. It`s `the truth`by definition.

jloome
08-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Fucking shocking, what my industry has come to.

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 10:36 PM
What makes Wheeler lose all his credibility is this first couple of tweets. Suggesting the sky was falling and in the end, writing an article that sounds like nothing more then a disagreement. He's a fucking tabloid!

Big Bruva
08-22-2010, 12:23 AM

I don't see where Preki is wrong here. I said on twitter recently that Mista has not impressed me so far and i know he has just come and is maybe finding his feet/fitness but he is a slow player and has been throughout his career so he won't exactly get much faster.

Santos missing for the NYRB match was huge but a slow Mista against a fit defence and NYRB defence that have improved in a match that was so important was not gonna cut it and Preki knows that. Mista needs to continUe to find his sharpness/fitness in the matches that are not as important but again Preki did not have too much choice through injuries.

backbeat
08-22-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't see where Preki is wrong here. I said on twitter recently that Mista has not impressed me so far and i know he has just come and is maybe finding his feet/fitness but he is a slow player and has been throughout his career so he won't exactly get much faster.

Santos missing for the NYRB match was huge but a slow Mista against a fit defence and NYRB defence that have improved in a match that was so important was not gonna cut it and Preki knows that. Mista needs to continUe to find his sharpness/fitness in the matches that are not as important but again Preki did not have too much choice through injuries.

sorry, don't buy this at all. Mista, at the fitness level he's at now is head and shoulders above Peterson or anyone else TFC has on the bench -please!! it was a really bad coaching call for the team, imo. take off White but not Mista - he's one of the few on this team with quality!! what he really needs now are MINUTES!!

SirBobSaget
08-22-2010, 12:45 AM

Unimportant matches like against Cruz Azul where he was exceptional?

He's pretty much the only TFC player than can take on a defender and make something happen.

Mista at least deserved to come out for the 2nd half, subbing him for Peterson was throwing in the towel. A winded Mista is ten times more effective than a fresh Peterson. Is he really so out of shape that he cant play a full 90? He's been around for over a month now, it cant take that long to get conditioning back.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-22-2010, 12:57 AM
I don't know what / who to believe. I'm not sure what the "real truth" is in the matter. One game TFC looks like a cohesive unit, the next game they look terrible. Sometimes Preki seems like a genius, others time a fool.

Ultimately, I'm still not convinced TFC have the right people in place, in terms of management and coaching, to move this team forward.

DoubleUp
08-22-2010, 01:17 AM
I don't know what / who to believe. I'm not sure what the "real truth" is in the matter. One game TFC looks like a cohesive unit, the next game they look terrible. Sometimes Preki seems like a genius, others time a fool.

Ultimately, I'm still not convinced TFC have the right people in place, in terms of management and coaching, to move this team forward.

:scarf:

GuelphStorm2007
08-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Wow a story coming from the Toronto Sun over blown. I would not believe a word that comes from that Right Wing tabloid.

CretanBull
08-22-2010, 01:22 AM

Agreed - I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone, just explaining the situation (as it was explained to me). Despite what others are saying, I think it was a good call. We were down by 2, we had no chance of coming back - we'd have to open up to even try to come back and we can all guess what would happen to a team who opens up when Angel and Henry are being fed the ball by Marquez.

I have a higher opinion of Mista than you seem to, but I agree 100% about Santos - he's given us something up front that we've been missing for a long time. Mista is never going to be a quick player, but his talent is above what we're used to seeing and he's got a brain for the game. He just needs to work on fitness, adjust to the league (he can't be used to getting battered the way MLS forwards get knocked around) and get to know his teammates and their tendencies.

Stryker
08-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Well it is an MLSE run team. Mediocrity is their specialty.

Having said that I'm seeing from Preki something thats become an epidemic with this team since day one. The wrong players at the wrong times because of what? Locker and board room politics. Forget skill, forget work ethic, it's all a matter of who's "guy" you are.
Mo surrounds himself with yes men and suck ups. Now Preki's playing the same games.

CretanBull
08-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Why does Wheeler make the assumption that by "health issue" Preki meant "injury"? If he's not match fit, that's an "issue" that isn't an "injury".

DichioTFC
08-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Same old Wheeler.. Always fabricating.

I'm as quick to dive into the gossip as the next Toronto sports fan, but I call bullshit on this one. I'm sure minor shit like this happens all the time all over MLS / the world. It's like reporting on an NFL fight during preseason, it happens all the time but it never leads to anything substantial.

It's another case of media types selling papers during the traditionally slow season (who cares about the news in the summer?). Fuck, I could imagine Wheeler reporting on the RPB site, he'd have much better material to fabricate.

Roogsy
08-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Absolutely horrible job by Wheeler on this one. I think it's overexuberance as I have found him very willing to take TFC's management to task and I think he took his enthusiasm too far this time. This is nothing more than a couple of stubborn professional butting heads and then working it out afterwards.

I will say this...I do believe the part where he says Preki's face gave away some underlying sentiment regarding DPs. My biggest problem with Preki (and the reason some of you may be wondering why I am so much against him) is that Preki is notoriously unwilling to work with "stars". He feels teams don't need them and it caused problems at the beginning of the year with DeRo and JDG and now very likely (but not certainly as I don't have any info in this specific instance) with Mista.

Still, Wheeler's article is FAR too premature and more than damage fan credibility, he may have put himself in the doghouse yet again with Preki and TFC management.

sampace
08-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Perhaps this is all Champions League gamesmanship, keep Panama guessing, Cruz Azul practiced for artificial turf and came to find grass. Now they are playing the Mista won't come to Panama game, and surprise them when he is in the starting line up!

kaos197O
08-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Perhaps this is all Champions League gamesmanship, keep Panama guessing, Cruz Azul practiced for artificial turf and came to find grass. Now they are playing the Mista won't come to Panama game, and surprise them when he is in the starting line up!
Exactly! Just like Motagua did with us when they SOLD us on Guevara's illness, just so we could watch him single handedly take on the whole team that night.

It's been polled here that CCL is more important to us than MLS Cup. Maybe Preki is listening and decided that being down 2 it was more important to keep Mista fit for Panama than to risk him in a game that we likely would not win. I mean how often do we score 3 goals in a game.....never mind 45 minutes.

I believe all is well in TFC land!

ensco
08-22-2010, 08:03 AM
My view is this whole thing was not about tactics, fitness or injuries. It was about effort.

Mista was dogging it.

I think this is right, or very close to the truth.

(Full speculation alert. If you don't like speculation, stop here.)

I also think, based on his body language in that press conference, that Preki had little or nothing to do with bringing Mista in to TFC, and that this is part of the problem. Preki would take a lot of pride in having brought in Maicon Santos, who plays the same position, looks just as good, and costs exactly 5% of what Mista costs.

I think Mista's side of this would be something like "That field was wet and guys were slipping and sliding all over the place, even before it started raining. Conditions weren't right for pressing high. I'm not going to unnecessarily rip a hamstring just to impress this guy who played futsal or something for most of his career, and doesn't understand how to adjust to conditions." Which wouldn't excuse dogging it, btw.

But you can't enforce the culture Preki is trying to build unless you have 100% control over signings. Sir Alex can't be Sir Alex without complete control.

tfc2008
08-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Put Preki And Mo Johnston On A Never Come Back Flight

tfc2008
08-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Mista, Preki butt heads:

Sources at Toronto FC have confirmed that Designated Player Mista was in a fit after being substituted at halftime of Saturday’s loss against the New York Red Bulls.
After the game, TFC head coach Preki said bringing Mista out of the game was a tactical move, as the Spaniard had a difficult go of it in the first 45 minutes. Preki went on to say Mista was dealing with “issues” concerning his health and that his high-priced striker may not make the trip to Panama for TFC’s CONCACAF Champions League game Tuesday.
The suggestion that Mista is, or was, injured seems to be a complete fabrication.
Mista did not return to the bench after halftime, raising an immediate red flag. Ten minutes into the second half, I questioned a TFC official about whether the Spaniard had picked up an injury.
After looking into the situation, I was told there was no injury to speak of.
“Nope, not injured. I think he’s showering,” the official said.
So either Mista picked up an injury in the shower or Preki is not telling the truth.
The real truth suggests the latter. The extent of the bust-up between Mista and Preki hasn’t been disclosed, but Mista not returning to the sidelines suggests a major rift between player and coach.
But sources tell me Mista will make the trip to Panama.
That being said, the look on Preki’s face when rightly questioned by the media about substituting Mista was worth a thousand words. It was a look of sheer disgust, a “who needs him,” anyway look.
This is Preki’s mantra — it’s his way or the highway. And while Mista isn’t going anywhere, he certainly is the latest casualty.
TFC players and brass have understandingly done proper damage control, nipping any issue in the bud. The quick reaction speaks to the newfound leadership inside TFC’s locker room. As well as the fact that TFC needs Mista for the stretch drive and Mista needs TFC to revive his career. And the fact that Mista seems happy with the city and the club — until now — bodes well for a positive resolution.
Poor choice
Mista’s halftime substitution was a poor tactical decision from the get-go, with TFC down to a division rival at home and needing goals. Mista is one of only two TFC players — Dwayne De Rosario being the other — that can changed the outcome of a game. So if Preki is truthful in saying the substitution was tactical, eyebrows should be raised.
To think midfielder Jacob Peterson could have a bigger impact on proceedings than Mista, coming off his best performance as a Red, is disconcerting. And if Preki wanted to replace a striker, it should have been O’Brian White.
If sending a message to Mista was the intent, Preki got it all wrong. The player didn’t need a slap in the face and the team, battling for points and playoff position, didn’t need an inferior XI on the field.
Mista doesn’t need to be bullied. He doesn’t need to be shown up either. He’s played for some of the top clubs in the world and understands what needs to be done to win.
The first half may have not been his finest, but Mista did have TFC’s best scoring opportunity and was regularly finding space in the Red Bulls back line, but he did not receive the ball.
It seems whenever former Deportivo La Coruna teammate Julian de Guzman isn’t on the field, Mista hasn’t been involved. This has to do with service and players trying to get their target-man into the game. De Guzman, having played with the best in the world, understands that to keep a talented player effective, you have to get them involved. On numerous occasions Saturday, Mista was left visibly and vocally frustrated with his teammates.
This isn’t the first time Preki has had trouble dealing with talented, yet fiery players. The coach infamously clashed with former TFC midfielder Amado Guevara while at Chivas USA, eventually winning out when Guevara was sent packing.
This time, Preki and TFC can ill-afford to lose Mista. Preki’s notion that hard work will create goals will only take this team so far. It’s composure and the quality of elite players that separates good teams from the great.

azorean10
08-22-2010, 09:08 AM
This talk of a rift reminds me seeing Preki sporting a shiner while with Chivas last year. I never heard what caused it though, I just assumed that he got into a fight with a player at training or something.Preki seems to be a real prick.

kaos197O
08-22-2010, 09:14 AM
"That field was wet and guys were slipping and sliding all over the place, even before it started raining. Conditions weren't right for pressing high. ." Which wouldn't excuse dogging it, btw.

That part was true. There was no need for the pitch to be so slippery and then they actually watered it again at the half. Completely unnecessary!

Boondaddy
08-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Maybe they were "mental health" issues...

wzhxvy
08-22-2010, 09:32 AM
As as I said before, its one thing to be intense and to push your team, but there is a time and place. Preki seems to have no discretion...he wants you going at 100% for 90 minutes...well guess what...it doesnt work that way in football or in real life. Also, Santos is no Mista. He has good moments but his limitations will show in time. He did not have a transformation coming over here from Chivas...so lets not get too excited by him. I do think Mista can be a serious danger for us...he actually plays in a similar way to DD...I am sure DD would have been labelled as dogging it under Preki. Life is about give and take...and this drill sergeant mentality can only be effective short term.

calvo2612
08-22-2010, 09:51 AM
What the fuck?!

Is me or is anyone tired of this mo Johnson let me hire someone that I played with 10 yrs ago or my friends….don’t we deserve a forward thinking coach..one that put a exciting brand of soccer …I for one have turned off watching tfc…my eyes hurt too much..
And we gave dp money to someone that runs around making shitty plays..
We should have made a striker and a good one are DP..fire the lot and put in a European coach and lets start winning

Pookie
08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
It's funny really. All the Anti-Preki stuff coming on the heels of a fairly convincing 2-1 win vs Cruz Azul.

This after a season in which the former players played with no fitness, heart or passion and the majority felt we needed to lay the hammer down.

Don't get splinters on the 'ol bandwagon.

ensco
08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
It's funny really.

Don't get splinters on the 'ol bandwagon.

Um, we actually had a better record last year after 20 games (7-7-6 last year, 7-8-5 this year). What bandwagon are we talking about?

Not saying the success so far in Concacaf isn't meaningful, but I'd be more cautious in characterizing where we are.

Pookie
08-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Um, we actually had a better record last year after 20 games (7-7-6 last year, 7-8-5 this year). What bandwagon are we talking about?

Not saying the success so far in Concacaf isn't meaningful, but I'd be more cautious in characterizing where we are.

Not sure why the "record" is factoring into it.

From the mid point of last season till year end, it was all about the blown games in the final minutes and ended in the 5-0 embarrassment in NY.

The talk was of locker room issues. Players playing for themselves and not for the crest.

So, we bring in a guy who provides discipline and a team concept. Improves on our defending (clearly an upgrade over last year). Exactly what was supposedly needed.

Read the Preki approval rating thread. After a win there are comments like "Preki's coaching display last night was an absolute master piece"

After rumours of a rift between a player who isn't hustling and a coach brought in to ensure a high work rate, you get the anti-Preki comments in this thread.

Preki is as advertised. If folks would prefer to create a culture that lead to the swoon last year... great. Don't bitch about it though if we mail in a game that has playoff implications and nothing is done about it.

Records take care of themselves. A simple reality is a team with a high work rate and plays together as a unit stands a better chance of winning.

wzhxvy
08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
^ how about being able to attract top talent ? work rate is wonderful but if you have little talent its meaningless. TFC and Preki need to find a way to work with very talented players and this constant everyone is equal BS doesnt work with stars. I hope yesterday's display showed the FO that without serious money, we are going to be mediocre for a long time. And we need to have a coach who can work with everyone not who he picks or trades for.

At the end of the day, this season will be measured through making the playoffs and getting out of the CCL group stages. Both at this point are at risk. So equally I dont understand the love affair with Preki...what has he actually accomplished for us ???

jloome
08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I think this is right, or very close to the truth.

(Full speculation alert. If you don't like speculation, stop here.)

I also think, based on his body language in that press conference, that Preki had little or nothing to do with bringing Mista in to TFC, and that this is part of the problem. Preki would take a lot of pride in having brought in Maicon Santos, who plays the same position, looks just as good, and costs exactly 5% of what Mista costs.

I think Mista's side of this would be something like "That field was wet and guys were slipping and sliding all over the place, even before it started raining. Conditions weren't right for pressing high. I'm not going to unnecessarily rip a hamstring just to impress this guy who played futsal or something for most of his career, and doesn't understand how to adjust to conditions." Which wouldn't excuse dogging it, btw.

But you can't enforce the culture Preki is trying to build unless you have 100% control over signings. Sir Alex can't be Sir Alex without complete control.

All makes sense to me, except that he wasn't dogging it. He was closing down players, he was chasing back. Outside of DeRo he was our best player in the first half.

Puzzling.

Roogsy
08-22-2010, 11:08 AM
My dislike of Preki has been clear from the beginning, but I see an additional angle to the Preki issue that we will have to consider:

If we really want to attract top talent to TFC, will Preki help us or hinder us?

I leave that question with you.

jloome
08-22-2010, 11:16 AM
My belief is that he took him off because of his negativity towards other TFC players in the first half.

He was playing really well, but every time one of his teammates messed something up by not being in the right place at the right time, he looked like he was going to have an aneurysm. He yelled at White twice for blocking passes he should've let run through, and he yelled at someone else (can't remember who) on the touch line for not moving into space.

I think he's having trouble with the standard of play. But the coach knows that isn't going to change and he can't get rid of the other 10 guys on the pitch, so he sits the guy who's hotheaded.

Mista had a rep for this at Valencia (In the old versions of Champ Manager his temperament was rated 1 out of 20) before he moved and became a bench player at Atletico and Deportivo.

Pookie
08-22-2010, 11:19 AM
^ how about being able to attract top talent ? work rate is wonderful but if you have little talent its meaningless.

Well, this is an issue bigger than the coach.

For example, Barcelona listed a $6M transfer fee for Marquez for every team BUT the Red Bulls. If he was to go to NY, the fee was set at $0.

The business conditions behind that deal made whoever was coaching in Toronto (or any other MLS team but NY) irrelevant.

ensco
08-22-2010, 11:21 AM
My belief is that he took him off because of his negativity towards other TFC players in the first half.

Could be, but then why does Preki tolerate it from Frei?

Even recognizing that GK culture has changed in the last 10 years, and many GKs seem to be perpetually unhappy/angry with their defenders....Frei really stands out as over the top in this regard.

Also this point would really highlight the question re how much Mista is getting paid.

ensco
08-22-2010, 11:24 AM
For example, Barcelona listed a $6M transfer fee for Marquez for every team BUT the Red Bulls. If he was to go to NY, the fee was set at $0.

You're misunderstanding what happened here. GeorgeBest laid it out elsewhere.

No way Marquez will turn up in next years' salary list as a $10 million per year player. Probably because of cap rules relating to transfers, it's highly likely that NYRB is paying Marquez extra this year, and Marquez is paying Barca himself for the buyout. Probably the same thing happened with Henry

reggie
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
preki was on crack yesterday...peterson for mista(if i was mista i would be pissed also)keeping dero on after 3 to 1 and 10 men and using barrett on that wet field.

Carts
08-22-2010, 11:31 AM
My dislike of Preki has been clear from the beginning, but I see an additional angle to the Preki issue that we will have to consider:

If we really want to attract top talent to TFC, will Preki help us or hinder us?

Hinder...

Two words, Amado Guevara...

Carts...

Krasno.pL.
08-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Could be, but then why does Preki tolerate it from Frei?

Even recognizing that GK culture has changed in the last 10 years, and many GKs seem to be perpetually unhappy/angry with their defenders....Frei really stands out as over the top in this regard.

Also this point would really highlight the question re how much Mista is getting paid.

Thats the job of a goalkeeper. Run Your Mouth. You see the whole field and try and help the team. Defender fucks up u let him have it then encourage.
If a coach ever took me off as a goalkeeper for running my mouth at my players. Id retire.

Beach_Red
08-22-2010, 11:56 AM

This is true, but you'd have to add, "complete control over budget," as well.

People have Asked, how is Preki at attracting talent? Well, he's very good at attracting talent that fits into an MLS salary cap.

The league is clearly in transition with NY trying to pull it in a different direction and some team owners resisting the extra spending.

If history is any indication, MLSE will be pretty middle-of-the-pack and muddled in their approach - not a top spender and not a bottom spnder, either, as many short term contracts as possible (half season DPs, one or two years for coaches, etc) and often canging course.

In most buinesses that kind of indecision and lack of a solid plan usually ends up with poor results. But success in this case depends on if you mean profit or championships...

Pookie
08-22-2010, 11:59 AM
You're misunderstanding what happened here. GeorgeBest laid it out elsewhere.

No way Marquez will turn up in next years' salary list as a $10 million per year player. Probably because of cap rules relating to transfers, it's highly likely that NYRB is paying Marquez extra this year, and Marquez is paying Barca himself for the buyout. Probably the same thing happened with Henry

Two things come to mind.

1. "Highly likely that PYRB is paying Marquez" is an interesting sentence. Assuming that the Red Bulls are in fact paying the salary and that the League's Allocation has nothing to do with it. That's a factor.

2. The notion was that Toronto needed a good coach to attract better talent. Are we all implying that Toronto, with a good coach, would have been in on the bidding for Marquez along with teams like LA and Seattle because they could have structured a deal like you are suggesting that he got from NY?

Further, interesting that the waived fee was only for the MLS. The player could have been sold to clubs in any number of leagues worldwide.

I'm suggesting that the coaching staff wouldn't have been a factor here at all. This was a business deal to benefit MLS by way of helping establish a market in NY. Toronto, Seattle, and even LA were never a factor regardless of their coaching staff.

"31-year-old Mexico national team captain Rafael Márquez has joined the New York Red Bulls from FC Barcelona. The imposing centre-back has become the MLS side’s third designated player after signing onto a multi-year contract just weeks after former-Barcelona teammate Thierry Henry made the move across the pond. Although rumours surrounding a possible move to NYRB have been circulating for quite some time, the transfer seemed implausible as Barcelona were thought to value Márquez at more than €6 million.

Márquez, who had two years remaining on his contract with the Catalan champions, was released by the Spanish club on July 31st, allowing him to move to the Red Bulls on a free transfer. It’s puzzling that Barcelona, a club in 442 million euros (£369.5m) of debt, would sacrifice a multi-million dollar transfer fee, to get on good terms with a budding league by practically gifting it a veteran defender. But Barcelona do have many motives for seeking such a relationship, after all they tried to establish a MLS team before succumbing to economic actuality last year.
"
http://transfers.afootballreport.com/post/896201891/rafael-marquez-joins-nyrb

ArmenJBX
08-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Right now MLSE needs to look at what the MLS is becoming and adapt early.

It's becoming more and more obvious that the salary cap isn't going to hold and big spenders will make it out alive. We need to spend now to survive later. That means big signings and strong squad players. We have a very young, developing squad, but if the league explodes with DP's, our young guys need someone like Henry to get them closer to the level they need to be at. Imagine being a NY defender right now, and training against Henry day in and day out. That has to be nothing but beneficial. Nana Attakora could learn so much training against him. It's that kind of motivation and drive which will ultimately make us a stronger team; we need players who can teach our youth how to maximize their potential.

nfitz
08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow, why are you still talking about this?

It's the Toronto Sun ... it's not like it's a real or credible paper.

They simply make stuff up to sell papers ... wait until there's a report from a real journalist.

Big story - player upset after being taken off.

Let's have a proper discussion here ... what was Nane even doing on the pitch? Even before he decided to score on us, it was clear that he was playing very poorly, just kicking the ball in odd directions when it came to him.

Carts
08-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow, why are you still talking about this?

It's the Toronto Sun ... it's not like it's a real or credible paper.

They simply make stuff up to sell papers ... wait until there's a report from a real journalist.

Big story - player upset after being taken off.

Let's have a proper discussion here ... what was Nane even doing on the pitch? Even before he decided to score on us, it was clear that he was playing very poorly, just kicking the ball in odd directions when it came to him.

Keep telling yourself if it makes you feel better...

People bitch and moan about TFC not getting enough press or being taken seriously - the Sun does take it seriously, does send their journalists to games, does give them the paper space to write recaps, stories, and opinions... As soon as they do and its not all roses people say "...dont listen they're not a real paper..."

Journalists digging and publishing stories that aren't all roses keeps the team honest, and pushes them to deal with issues - if nobody reported or dug for stories, the veil of secrecy and treatment of players, staff and supporters would be terrible...

Carts...

maninb
08-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Frei has every right to scream at our D at times, especially that moron Garcia who plays like he has his head up is ass most of the time....I counted 4 times where a NYRB player just blew by him and they hardly looked like they were running full out...and Usanov is hardly "reliable" in our end either...

nfitz
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Keep telling yourself if it makes you feel better...

People bitch and moan about TFC not getting enough press or being taken seriously - the Sun does take it seriously, does send their journalists to games, does give them the paper space to write recaps, stories, and opinions... As soon as they do and its not all roses people say "...dont listen they're not a real paper..."

Journalists digging and publishing stories that aren't all roses keeps the team honest, and pushes them to deal with issues - if nobody reported or dug for stories, the veil of secrecy and treatment of players, staff and supporters would be terrible... Oh come on ... no one takes that piece of shit seriously.

Heck, look at who they support politically. They pretend to be a Toronto paper, and yet consistently support the one party that get's no support in Toronto. And on the local scene, they've put all their money on a wife-beating white-supremacist gay-hating alcoholic ... which has more to do with their desire to create a sensation than any belief in anything.

And even they way the way they hyped this story ... first it was a lie about Mista refusing to play ... and then it's just that he's upset he got taken off. It's very unprofessional journalism ... I can't imagine many with any skill or morals works at that "paper" ... it's clearly the dumping ground for those who can't get work at a real paper.

Why aren't we discussing Nana, instead of this made-up stuff?

jloome
08-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I saw this too and I think that's why he started dogging it, out of frustration. It was as if he was saying, it's not my fault if you can't hit me with a pass, so I'm not going to run it down. Maybe you didn't see any of these plays, but I did from my perspective in the stadium.

From Preki's perspective it makes little difference. Dogging it due to a superiority complex is still dogging it. Lack of effort doesn't cut it. Henry and Marquez were among the hardest working players on the pitch, they didn't play like they were too good for the league.

I don't think it's just about being vocal with teammates. Dero gets vocal with teammates but he never stops working his ass off.

Maybe this incident will be good for TFC and Mista. It was never really confronted with Robert and he just essentially stopped playing by the end.

Maybe so. Maybe sometime this week Preki takes him aside and points out what a bench player makes in the Greek league. I'm pretty sure Robert's not pulling in DP money. Maybe he tells him to try positivity.

Interesting to see. Again, I didn't see him dogging it at all, so I disagree on the fundamental point tactically, but I can see it being about maintaining team spirit by shutting down the guy who's pissed (righteously or not.)

ensco
08-22-2010, 01:12 PM
And even they way the way they hyped this story ... first it was a lie about Mista refusing to play ... and then it's just that he's upset he got taken off. It's very unprofessional journalism ... I can't imagine many with any skill or morals works at that "paper" ... it's clearly the dumping ground for those who can't get work at a real paper.

I call BS on this. This rant is not fair, the Sun do a decent job as it relates to TFC. Also it's not just the Sun. Anyone who listened to the postgame show heard Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci speculating about what had actually happened between Preki at Mista at halftime.

The fact that Wheeler didn't get the story does not mean it didn't happen.

ag futbol
08-22-2010, 01:17 PM
I expect the mids to hit the striker with a good pass, not wasting his energy chasing down worthless balls.

What he should have done is taken Peterson's out of the game and paddled him. Everyone saw where Mista held his run and was wide open but Jacob just neurotically whiffed it into the box. Mista called him out and his reaction was kind of "meh".

Playing hard but working dumb is not going to lead this team anywhere.

nfitz
08-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I call BS on this. This rant is not fair, the Sun do a decent job as it relates to TFC. Also it's not just the Sun. Anyone who listened to the postgame show heard Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci speculating about what had actually happened between Preki at Mista at halftime.

The fact that Wheeler didn't get the story does not mean it didn't happen.Whether it's true or not, my point is simply that The Sun isn't a reliable source. And surely this is proven when they retracted their original story. Their lack of journalist integrity is legendary.

I don't pay much attention to the Sun ... but hasn't Wheeler done stuff like this before?

Blizzard
08-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I expect the mids to hit the striker with a good pass, not wasting his energy chasing down worthless balls.

What he should have done is taken Peterson's out of the game and paddled him. Everyone saw where Mista held his run and was wide open but Jacob just neurotically whiffed it into the box. Mista called him out and his reaction was kind of "meh".

Playing hard but working dumb is not going to lead this team anywhere.

Ahem. Peterson replaced Mista in the second half. They were never on the field together. Perhaps you meant Nick LaBrocca?

nfitz
08-22-2010, 01:33 PM
What he should have done is taken Peterson's out of the game and paddled him. Everyone saw where Mista held his run and was wide open but Jacob just neurotically whiffed it into the box. Mista called him out and his reaction was kind of "meh". Am I missing something? Peterson didn't come on until after Mista went off. Or are we talking about a different game.

ilikemusic
08-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Mista has looked good, but we have had a ton of players come in and look good.

Im not about to hitch my wagon to Mista and I'm not going to jump off the Bloor viaduct if his stay in Toronto is cut short.

He has looked good but above all else, this is a league for teams. Not individuals.

ag futbol
08-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Ahem. Peterson replaced Mista in the second half. They were never on the field together. Perhaps you meant Nick LaBrocca?
Whoops ok not Peterson, whoever was playing down the left side until half. Might have been Saric.

dow117
08-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Wheeler is as close to sports reporting as Ford Palin is to a grade 10 diploma. He's warming up for Fox News North where men are men and sheep are nervous....

Blizzard
08-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Whoops ok not Peterson, whoever was playing down the left side until half. Might have been Saric.

Ya could have been Saric.

Blizzard
08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Wheeler is as close to sports reporting as Ford Palin is to a grade 10 diploma. He's warming up for Fox News North where men are men and sheep are nervous....

There was a kernel of truth to it though. There was a disagreement and Preki was contemplating not taking him to Panama. Fortunately for TFC and its supporters, Mista is going to Panama.

They're already in the air as a matter of fact.

spark
08-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Considering it all begins with Mo IMO until he's gone we're never going to attract 'top talent'.

v00d00daddy
08-22-2010, 02:19 PM
For me this whole situation boils down to whether or not you think its okay for Mista to be pissed off at his teammates.

I suspect that was the reason for the falling out and eventual substitution.

I'm torn on this subject because I like both Preki and Mista.

That being said...Mista was frustrated. When you're frustrated you sometimes lash out. DeRo does it several times a game.

Now...if Mista got into it with Preki at halftime then we have to ask ourselves why.

Unfortunately none of us know (for sure) what happened leading up to the substitution.

One thing I do know for sure....if you were watching that game and noticed that Peterson was being subbed on for Mista at the half and didn't scratch your head about that decision...well...you're an idiot...plain and simple.

The team came out for the 2nd half early with the assistant coach and I didn't see Mista. I also only counted 10 guys and wondered what was up.

Then Peterson comes out of the tunnel and joins in the light warm up.

Right then and there I knew something was wrong. I kept looking for Mista on the bench and he was nowhere to be found. So...he either blew out his knee during the half time break or there was some kind of issue.

Then Preki calls it a "health issue" in the post game comments.

So to summarize:

1-Mista starts and gets a great scoring chance early
2-Mista grows increasingly frustrated with his teammates (mostly OBW)
3-Mista plays the entire 1st half but is nowhere to be seen around the team once they come out for the 2nd half.
4-Peterson comes out and joins the team in the pre 2nd half warm up. Mista never returns to the bench
5-OBW continues to shit the bed (despite giving a decent ball to DeRo for the goal)
6-Preki says its a "health issue" regarding the Mista disappearance
7-Some dude at the Sun writes about what he thinks happened

8-People here discredit everything he says because:
a) they dislike him from previous stories
b) they seem to know better
c) they want to argue with people on the boards

It really sucks...but to suggest that there is no story here because you don't like some dude at the Sun is not just silly....its flat out illogical.

nfitz
08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
It really sucks...but to suggest that there is no story here because you don't like some dude at the Sun is not just silly....its flat out illogical.No one is saying there isn't a story ... merely that there is little relation between what was initially written, and later retracted, by the Sun, and what actually happened.

Clearly at the time of the press conference, Preki and Mista hadn't cleared the air between them yet ... I expect that Mista made an idle threat about not playing if he has to play with crap players like White and Nane ... etc. and Preki was merely providing some cover in case he refused to get on a plane today ... I doubt Preki had even talked to Mista after half-time and before the press conference.

Perhaps we should be looking at the real story here; we have a lack of depth, and some players who shouldn't be on the pitch. White has shown very little this season. Nane is erratic (but young).

The real question here, is why did Preki take Mista off? Was it just to rest him for Panama and Salt Lake, and not risk injury? Seems he would have been better to leave him on until the 60th, and then replace him with Barrett.

Carts
08-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh come on ... no one takes that piece of shit seriously.

Heck, look at who they support politically. They pretend to be a Toronto paper, and yet consistently support the one party that get's no support in Toronto. And on the local scene, they've put all their money on a wife-beating white-supremacist gay-hating alcoholic ... which has more to do with their desire to create a sensation than any belief in anything.

Why aren't we discussing Nana, instead of this made-up stuff?

If you think that nobody takes it seriously, you're completely misguided in the Toronto sports scene...

On the news side, I can't comment, as I am a member of the sports media, not involved in political or crime reporting etc...

Plus, there World Cup coverage was tops of all the Toronto and Canadian national papers...

Anyone can agree or disagree with a story, we all have our own opinions which is great, but to say nobody takes what's written in the Sun sports serious is foolish, and completely wrong...

Carts...

PS: yes I am a member of the sports media, and no I don't work for the Sun...

nfitz
08-22-2010, 05:13 PM
If you think that nobody takes it seriously, you're completely misguided in the Toronto sports scene...

On the news side, I can't comment, as I am a member of the sports media, not involved in political or crime reporting etc...

Plus, there World Cup coverage was tops of all the Toronto and Canadian national papers...

Anyone can agree or disagree with a story, we all have our own opinions which is great, but to say nobody takes what's written in the Sun sports serious is foolish, and completely wrong...

Carts...

PS: yes I am a member of the sports media, and no I don't work for the Sun...They've always had extensive sports coverage ... but is it good? I confess I really haven't looked closely at a Sun sports section since the 1980s ... it certainly seemed extensive back then; but shallow.

But isn't this how publications like this? They target the low and low-middle class, give them something they might want like sports, and then salt the publication with pro-ultra-right-wing stuff that is generally supporting people that have the interests of business at heart; rather than the average low to lower-middle class that makes up the bulk of the readership. Essentially turning these people against the very parties that actually protect their interests.

Sure, they might produce some good media along the way ... but I've seen some good films and documentaries come out of right-wing dicatatorships before. It doesn't give anyone who is involved with it any credibility. Wheeler was quite clearly deceiving people yesterday ... and he seems to have done so before. There is a complete lack of journalistic integrity at that publication ... and corporate philosophy will taint all parts of an organisation.

Wasn't aware of your background ... and hopefully there are no poor souls unfortunate to only be able to find employment at the Sun hanging around here ... as I'm not meaning to offend anyone in particular ... other than Wheeler ... who presumable is not vain enough to be reading this (but who knows ... he does work for the Sun ...)

ag futbol
08-22-2010, 05:19 PM
While I'd hardly give Wheeler any gold stars, given the reputation of our front office this story is more than believable.

Come on guys, he showed no signs of injury up to the point where he walked off the field. On top of that, I hardly think any sports manager in the world would be candid about this kind of stuff in a post-game interview.

Wheeler might be lacking the ability to write at a 10th grade level and his "analysis" is often so far off the mark it's not even funny, but accusing him of printing outright lies is unfounded. People said the same stuff about Molinaro and Kristian Jack when they published some less than complementary stuff (which all seemed to be confirmed down the road BTW).

AL-MO
08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
rift between preki and mista?

jeez...I sure as hell hope not!

nfitz
08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Wheeler might be lacking the ability to write at a 10th grade level and his "analysis" is often so far off the mark it's not even funny, but accusing him of printing outright lies is unfounded. People said the same stuff about Molinaro and Kristian Jack when they published some less than complementary stuff (which all seemed to be confirmed down the road BTW).If he wasn't printing lies, why did they retract the article so quickly, and replace it. The original said Mista refused to play the second half. Are you saying this is true?

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
7-Some dude at the Sun writes about what he thinks happened

My problem stems from Wheeler passing off "what he thinks happened" as a rumour or story.

- Scott

Roogsy
08-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I agree Scott, Wheeler should have done a better job separating the facts from his opinion.

H Bomb
08-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Wheeler has a history of making things up. reporters are only as valued as their reputation. this guys reputation has no value because he has a history of making things up. therefor until he creates a history of not making things up he will, and should, be considered valueless. Wheeler is the worst. Why we are questioning him should not be questioned.

Roogsy
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Hold on a sec there...I am all for calling out Wheeler, but where has he gotten this reputation for making things up? What did he make up?

As TFC supporters, our initial dislike of Wheeler came with his ridiculous article on the problems in Columbus, and there he didn't make anything up, he simply came across as a prudish ninny. Beyond that, I have never read anything from Wheeler that has been proven inaccurate.

Some of his opinions though are downright silly. But they're HIS opinions.

kaos197O
08-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Which is how Barrett got injured just recently and is how many players end up getting hurt! Our strikers are constantly chasing down errant passes and thus risk injury. If Mista said I'm not doing it today, then so what? I would get frustrated too. It is perfectly acceptable to expect to get a good ball on occasion so...........

Still think this is not a rift at all though!

v00d00daddy
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Wheeler has a history of making things up. reporters are only as valued as their reputation. this guys reputation has no value because he has a history of making things up. therefor until he creates a history of not making things up he will, and should, be considered valueless. Wheeler is the worst. Why we are questioning him should not be questioned.

I totally appreciate that he has a history of being unreliable or making shit up. I get that.

But it makes no sense to suggest that he's full of shit when most of what happened was right there in front of us to see.

It didn't strike you as odd when you didn't see Mista come out for the second half...and then not sit on the bench...and then hear Preki shrug it off as a "health issue"?

To think that nothing is/was going on is foolish...no matter what hack writer brings it up.

This was not a run of the mill substitution.

There was more going on there. It may very well already be settled. It may be a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

It also may be the beginning of the end of Mista with TFC. Stranger things have happened.

Again...none of us know for sure.

Whoop
08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Carts...

PS: yes I am a member of the sports media, and no I don't work for the Sun...

The Toronto Sun sports section has consistently been rated one of the best in NA - ahead of the Star and the Globe - at least before all the cutbacks.

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2010, 07:18 PM
The Toronto Sun sports section has consistently been rated one of the best in NA - ahead of the Star and the Globe - at least before all the cutbacks.

I've always preferred the Globe's reporters more - ninnies like Simmons and Wheeler don't appeal to me.

- Scott

bigtfcfan
08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
luke wileman reported on twitter than mista is headed to panama with the team. even showed a picture to convince us lol

Roogsy
08-22-2010, 07:21 PM
The power of internet discussion boards. :lol:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaEtBKtltm9LnP7HgoTzhiLZG421keU sYh_2Ki7WDHnYMztoA&t=1&usg=__-3M9mSI1YXaSziPvte3V4TSdUUo=

nascarguy
08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GOOOO HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GO HERE THEY GOOOO!!!!!.............. Lets just spend some money MLSE and get a staff that we can all get along with :) bye bye MO bye bye Preki and hire Nascar as the coach and GM :).
yeah :flare::scarf::flare: and yeoman can be my waterboy....lol

Whoop
08-22-2010, 07:25 PM
The Globe wins out because of Brunt but the Globe isn't the best when it comes to covering day to day sports.

Yeoman
08-22-2010, 07:40 PM
The power of internet discussion boards. :lol:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaEtBKtltm9LnP7HgoTzhiLZG421keU sYh_2Ki7WDHnYMztoA&t=1&usg=__-3M9mSI1YXaSziPvte3V4TSdUUo=

i need a shirt like that
only chant monkey chant
and i will never ever wear another shirt to a game

CretanBull
08-22-2010, 08:13 PM
As TFC supporters, our initial dislike of Wheeler came with his ridiculous article on the problems in Columbus, and there he didn't make anything up, he simply came across as a prudish ninny. Beyond that, I have never read anything from Wheeler that has been proven inaccurate.

In regards to the Columbus story, he reported things that weren't true and clinged to his version of the story even when contrary evidence came out and never apologized for any of it. He fully admitted that he wasn't there and wouldn't listen when people who were there were disputing his 'facts' - I can see how this comes across as 'making stuff up'.

Pachuco
08-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I totally appreciate that he has a history of being unreliable or making shit up. I get that.

But it makes no sense to suggest that he's full of shit when most of what happened was right there in front of us to see.

It didn't strike you as odd when you didn't see Mista come out for the second half...and then not sit on the bench...and then hear Preki shrug it off as a "health issue"?

To think that nothing is/was going on is foolish...no matter what hack writer brings it up.

This was not a run of the mill substitution.

There was more going on there. It may very well already be settled. It may be a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

It also may be the beginning of the end of Mista with TFC. Stranger things have happened.

Again...none of us know for sure.

You really have things confused. I'd be shocked if you found a single person that doesn't think "something" happened. What all of the media except Wheeler have said is he was upset he was taken off, probably turned into an argument with Preki and that was it. That shit happens all the time, it's nothing new in the world of sports. Shit if I had a player pulled at half time who didn't care I'd be more worried. Ferguson dealt with this type of player everytime Ronaldo was pulled out of a game prematurely, and he himself said at the time I'd rather a player like him who wants to be on the field.

The problem most of us have (which you continue to ignore) is that Wheeler turned this information like a tabloid does and said we may have seen the end of Mista with Toronto FC. Suggested there was a huge fallout and the sky is falling. Then even released an article titled "Mista refused to come out for the 2nd half", that title (or article as we don't know) gets pulled and he comes out with an article basically saying the same shit John Mo, Kristian Jack and the rest of the media was saying since the incident happened.

It doesn't matter how you spin it, he's worst then Ben Mulroney on ETalk.

rocker
08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Hold on a sec there...I am all for calling out Wheeler, but where has he gotten this reputation for making things up? What did he make up?

Some of his opinions though are downright silly. But they're HIS opinions.

He's written stuff that *can't be proven* because he cites anonymous sources for every fact in a story (this isn't Watergate, Wheeler!). Nice way out for him.....

I once picked apart one of this less controversial stories on this board and it was too easy.

Nobody goes and fact checks every one of his articles, but maybe we should.

Brooker
08-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I skipped the article when I realized it was written by Whelan. What did I miss? Well, pretty much nothing.

Everytime I try this experiment I get the same result.

Corpand
08-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey guys i'm back. Im surprised that this came up actually.

I know personally that Mista is not in Preki's good books. This has nothing to do with character. It has to do with play style. Either Mista adapts or its the bus.Seriously.
Still, I believe he's working hard on his defensive play and especially his tracking back to help the defense.

Take it how you want it. I just hope it doesnt escalate and get worse.
P.S. no health issue.

Pachuco
08-22-2010, 09:23 PM

I know personally that Mista is not in Preki's good books. This has nothing to do with character. It has to do with play style. Either Mista adapts or its the bus.Seriously.
Still, I believe he's working hard on his defensive play and especially his tracking back to help the defense.

P.S. no health issue.

I totally believe what you are saying, doesn't surprise me in the least bit knowing Preki's style.

It really is exciting though to hear that our strikers need to be more defensive. Just what this team needs. :rolleyes:

Blizzard
08-22-2010, 09:45 PM

P.S. no health issue.

That's what I figured. He's not following Preki's tactics so Preki has it in for him. To be honest, I think I'd pick Mista if I had to choose between the two of them.

supersaint
08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Preki does seem to have a problem with creative players. Another thing, most of the ship in and ship outs this season were the guys that Preki wanted or wanted out. So we cant all blame Mo for the signings. Only for listening to Preki.
And it is Preki that insists on playing Garcia all the time.
I hate to be pessimistic but I will be shocked if we make the playoffs. I think we probably have more talent than last season, but Preki has not improved us at all, the back four have been shored up finally in the middle, but it took him long enough to get Garcia outta the middle, and even then nimble wingers and wing backs are still breezing by him. And Preki is a frigging PR nightmare for this team at news conferences, he is doing absolutely nothing to bring in new fans and supporters, and I just think he is turning off some existing fans.

Pachuco
08-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Preki does seem to have a problem with creative players. Another thing, most of the ship in and ship outs this season were the guys that Preki wanted or wanted out. So we cant all blame Mo for the signings. Only for listening to Preki.
I hate to be pessimistic but I will be shocked if we make the playoffs. I think we probably have more talent than last season, but Preki has not improved us at all, the back four have been shored up finally in the middle, but it took him long enough to get Garcia outta the middle, and even then nimble wingers and wing backs are still breezing by him. And Preki is a frigging PR nightmare for this team at news conferences, he is doing absolutely nothing to bring in new fans and supporters, and I just think he is turning off some existing fans.

Expect Garcia back at CB next saturday as Nana is out. Can't wait!

Blizzard
08-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Ya, I have the same understanding. The new guys are here because Preki wanted them here. To be fair, some of them are ok but all are role players at best. Hardin, Gargan, LaBrocca, Peterson, Hscanovic, Usanov and yes, even Mista (who is not a role player). They are wearing TFC colours because Preki wanted them here and Mo got them for him.

In regards to the back four, Gargan and Cann have been the major manpower reasons for its improvements. Tactics, yes they cannot be discounted either.

That said, the tendency for people to blame Mo for all that isn't working and lauding Preki for all that is working does get tiresome. The truth is obviously somewhere in the middle.

H Bomb
08-22-2010, 10:14 PM
In regards to the Columbus story, he reported things that weren't true and clinged to his version of the story even when contrary evidence came out and never apologized for any of it. He fully admitted that he wasn't there and wouldn't listen when people who were there were disputing his 'facts' - I can see how this comes across as 'making stuff up'.
this

He's written stuff that *can't be proven* because he cites anonymous sources for every fact in a story (this isn't Watergate, Wheeler!). Nice way out for him.....

I once picked apart one of this less controversial stories on this board and it was too easy.

Nobody goes and fact checks every one of his articles, but maybe we should.

I also love how often he brings up his "sources". Sources says this, sources say that. Journalism these days is so very often shit.

Whoop
08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
All journalists have "sources". At the end of the day it's just a matter of how credible the journalist is. They build a reputation over time. The key is getting the right "sources".

If Wheeler wants to be legitimate over time he has to have the right "sources".

I mean if Stephen Brunt wrote the same story, it would be credible.

rocker
08-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Yep... although Brunt wouldn't write a story citing "sources" for this kind of thing.

If he covered the story at all, Brunt would go up to Mista and ask him. Then he'd ask Preki to his face.
If both men deny it, you just don't have a story. Anything else would be putting words in their mouths, even if someone in the team tells you otherwise.

Now, if Mista quits the team or is sent on the next train home, then it matters. But at that point, you don't need "sources." You'd be told by the team.

Whoop
08-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Every journalist still has "sources". Just like the cops have "informants".

Hell, the "source" could be a player in the dressing room. Or a front office employee that's close to the team. Though in reality, I doubt that's the case with Wheeler.

A sports journalist like Brunt would have sources that he could trust. And more importantly others that can trust.

dantdot
08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Mista has 'recovered'

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/08/22/15107771.html

habstfc
08-22-2010, 11:08 PM
I think this story is much ado about nothing. Preki took him out at the half, probably to rest him for tuesday and there was a verbal altercation, that's how I see how it went down anyways. This happens all the time in sport, wheeler however (as he is prone to do) blew it up into something bigger than that. I think to call wheeler a credible journalist is like saying that Stormy Daniels is an actress.

CretanBull
08-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Mista has 'recovered'

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/08/22/15107771.html

Real Salt Lake may be the best team in CONCACAF

'May be', like if Mexico drops off the face of the planet and NY and LA cease to exist.

Blizzard
08-22-2010, 11:48 PM
'May be', like if Mexico drops off the face of the planet and NY and LA cease to exist.

True but they are a pretty good team and we will have our hands full with them .... twice. That does make six points vs Arabe Unido a very desirable thing. Nine points really should get us through.

Nomad
08-22-2010, 11:53 PM

He didn't make anything up in regards to the Columbus story. The "evidence to the contrary" was made up to take the heat off.

H Bomb
08-22-2010, 11:56 PM
The nether regions of central america? doooouchebag

also he refers to a "reported" fit by Mista.....reported by him...i think i just discovered the douches unnamed source.

alright Toronto Sun, you're now back on the ignore list after a day of relapse

H Bomb
08-22-2010, 11:57 PM
He didn't make anything up in regards to the Columbus story. The "evidence to the contrary" was made up to take the heat off.

bullshit dude. absolute bullshit

CretanBull
08-23-2010, 12:10 AM

The "evidence to the contrary" that I'm refering to came from Columbus police department. Wheeler was wrong about basic facts like the number of people tazered and arrested etc.

He wrote a smear peice aimed at us and exaggerated/misrepresented things to sensationalize his story.

CretanBull
08-23-2010, 12:12 AM
True but they are a pretty good team and we will have our hands full with them .... twice. That does make six points vs Arabe Unido a very desirable thing. Nine points really should get us through.

RSL are a good team, but they're not the best team in the MLS so there's no way that they're the best team in CONCACAF.

Nomad
08-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Well i'm not going to argue publicly about it so i'll leave it at this..... you are both wrong (except the amount of people tasered, i'll give you that).

CretanBull
08-23-2010, 12:29 AM
^ thats what I was refering to (number of people arrested & people tazered).

PS - we should grab a pint, after the next game?

Inklink
08-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Wheeler is trying to save face. Throwing all sorts of crap around to try and get something to stick.

nfitz
08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
I know personally that Mista is not in Preki's good books. This has nothing to do with character. It has to do with play style.Makes sense ... doesn't seem like the typical Preki play ... is actually fun and interesting to watch!

Don't get me wrong, I think Preki does a great job with what he's got. But it often doesn't make for entertaining football much of the time.

SirBobSaget
08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Wheeler is trying to save face. Throwing all sorts of crap around to try and get something to stick.

Lots of backstepping from the initial the sky is falling, attention grabbing "could be the end of the Spaniard at TFC!!!!!omgwtf!!!" twitter post on Sat to this morning's "Mista and Preki may or may not have had a disagreement about something" article.

jloome
08-23-2010, 12:33 PM

I hate to oversimplify, but Preki played as a winger most of his career and became a striker in MLS/Indoor. Years of being told he had to track back constantly probably played a significant role.

ensco
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
My suspicion is that this episode will have big-time knock-on effects down the line.

I'd bet Preki is probably in the right about whatever happened, but because he couldn't keep it bottled up in the room (or maybe didn't want to), this is very embarrassing to whoever it was who decided to rent Mista for a lot of coin.

backbeat
08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
My suspicion is that this episode will have big-time knock-on effects down the line.

I'd bet Preki is probably in the right about whatever happened, but because he couldn't keep it bottled up in the room (or maybe didn't want to), this is very embarrassing to whoever it was who decided to rent Mista for a lot of coin.

what do you mean exactly? why do you say that?

Roogsy
08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Ya, I have the same understanding. The new guys are here because Preki wanted them here. To be fair, some of them are ok but all are role players at best. Hardin, Gargan, LaBrocca, Peterson, Hscanovic, Usanov and yes, even Mista (who is not a role player). They are wearing TFC colours because Preki wanted them here and Mo got them for him.

Actually Mista was not a Preki choice.

This team is only partly built by Preki and partly choices that Preki has to live with.

ensco
08-23-2010, 04:04 PM
what do you mean exactly? why do you say that?

Go back and look at previous posts.

I agree with the posters who believe that Preki thought that Mista was dogging it. I believe Preki had zip to do with bringing Mista in. I do not understand how Mista can be possibly be earning what he's earning, given his history/credentials, and am inferring that Preki feels the same way. So this is part of a bigger story around how personnel decisions are taken.

backbeat
08-23-2010, 04:07 PM

I agree with the posters who believe that Preki thought that Mista was dogging it. I believe Preki had zip to do with bringing Mista in. I do not understand how Mista can be possibly be earning what he's earning, given his history/credentials, and am inferring that Preki feels the same way. So this is part of a bigger story around how personnel decisions are taken.

quite possible Preki feels that way - i don't agree, mista's form of late has been great and as he keeps getting in better shape we see more from him. i think he will shine with a few more games under his belt as he's really starting to show it now. we desperately need some creativity up front and he can deliver.

Broadview
08-23-2010, 04:09 PM
The guy seemed to be trialing off and on for weeks and weeks before he actually signed, I'm surprised it seems to have taken this long for something like this to flare up. The hardass and alleged floater should have figured each other out a bit.

jloome
08-23-2010, 11:27 PM

I do wonder about the money. If it turns out to be $1.7 million a season, we're talking about $33,000 a week. That's first-rate money even by most euro standards.

flatpicker
08-23-2010, 11:43 PM
I have no way of knowing what goes on within the team,
But I do know that Mista has been showing some good stuff on the field lately.
He seems to be improving during his stay with TFC.
I'm glad he's here.

denime
08-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Mista has 'recovered'

By (gareth.wheeler%21@suntv.canoe.ca)GARETH WHEELER:hump: (gareth.wheeler%21@suntv.canoe.ca) Toronto Sun

With the battle of egos over, Preki and Mista both boarded the plane to Panama for Toronto FC’s CONCACAF Champions League game Tuesday at Arabe Unido.
Don’t kid yourself. Seeds of doubt were planted by the head coach suggesting post-game Saturday his Spanish striker would not make the trip to Panama due to “health issues.”
Preki’s post-game fabricated reasoning caught TFC brass off-guard, with the club very well knowing it was a spat with Mista that left the Spanish striker in a reported “fit” and the player not returning to the team bench after halftime.
There was no way TFC officials would let this player-versus-coach disagreement linger into the coming days. Post-game, TFC staffers were quick to mend fences, with the club insistent Preki not leave Mista out of the travelling TFC side.
So expect the public spin to be along the lines that Mista has recovered from whatever ailed him. With the team in Panama and Canadian media outlets not making the trip to the nether-regions of Central America, the story will be buried.
Yet sources continue to say, “something was up” between the two egos and the situation was indeed tumultuous. With the two men left seemingly no choice but to work with one another, it will be compelling to see how the relationship grows, or deteriorates further as the season wears on.
Bottom line, the club is bigger than Mista or Preki, despite what certain individuals may believe. And getting points from Tuesday’s CONCACAF Champions League match is of the utmost priority.
Points in road games are tough to come by in this tournament. But TFC has little choice but to push for maximum points in Panama.
Toronto’s other competition in Group A is of top-notch quality. Real Salt Lake may be the best team in CONCACAF and will be difficult to gain points against, home or away.
And an ominous return match to Mexico City against Cruz Azul sizes up to be a challenge of epic proportions. So the maximum six points against Arabe Unido is a must.
Perhaps some outward aggression is exactly what Mista needs to clear his mind and re-endear himself to his hard-nosed head coach. Mista and Co., not only should expect a physical affair against the Panamanian opponent, but a dirty match.
Last week’s Arabe Unido vs. Real Salt Lake match in Salt Lake became a sham, an embarrassment to the game of soccer. Arabe Unido’s tactics were downright deplorable, taking cheap shots, diving, and play-acting whenever possible.
As my colleague Steven Sandor told me after watching the game: “I think Arabe Unido is the dirtiest team I’ve ever seen. Ever!”
That’s a bold statement coming from a guy who’s a walking encyclopedia when it comes to the history of the professional game. But Sandor’s absolutely right: The Panamanians made the game unwatchable.
Arabe Unido finished the game with nine players, and certainly one more player could have well been sent off. Canadian referee Paul Ward was having nothing of the visitors’ shoddy tactics, and did a commendable job trying to control a game featuring one team set on ruining the affair.
Unfortunately for TFC, similar negative, disgusting tactics work more effectively in matches in Central American countries.
A hostile environment and chaotic atmosphere doesn’t make the job easy for any match official. And cheats tend to get away with undermining the game and officials.
So expect a ton of diving, play-acting, and cheap shots throughout Tuesday’s match. It won’t be pretty, but that doesn’t necessarily put TFC at a disadvantage.
Toronto’s got some sand-paper as well. It may not kick and claw its way through a match like their Panamanian competition, but this team won’t physically be pushed around, either.
Arabe Unido does have some talent, but don’t expect an open, free-flowing game you saw last week at BMO Field. TFC’s victory over Cruz Azul featured a much different-looking Reds side, rising to the challenge of its quality Mexican opponent.
There was a lot more freelancing and offensive creativity from the team than typically displayed from a Preki-coached side.
With Mista seemingly in the doghouse, and forward Chad Barrett dealing with real health issues, hobbling Saturday after playing an ill-advised 28 minutes coming off a recent hamstring injury, it’s difficult to see TFC playing the same adventurous style.
Expect TFC to play an organized, defensive formation, content on using the counter-attack to pluck an away goal — in other words, a typical Preki-style game.

Blizzard
08-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Actually Mista was not a Preki choice.

This team is only partly built by Preki and partly choices that Preki has to live with.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. My information is that Mo was ambivalent and Preki wanted him.

In terms of the team building, yes absolutely. The blame and compliments must be shared by Mo and Preki.

manic.street.preacher
08-24-2010, 01:17 PM
hopefully this is the last we hear of this 'rift', which was probably no more than two stubborn professionals with different styles of play having it out. but the soap opera drama has to stop, my little heart isn't cut out for this ... i like what i've seen of Mista so far and hopefully there's more to come as he continues to get fit. and i like the work Preki's done, instilling a proper work ethic and a sense of team.

Roogsy
08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
hopefully this is the last we hear of this 'rift', which was probably no more than two stubborn professionals with different styles of play having it out. but the soap opera drama has to stop, my little heart isn't cut out for this ... i like what i've seen of Mista so far and hopefully there's more to come as he continues to get fit. and i like the work Preki's done, instilling a proper work ethic and a sense of team.

I get that feeling too. There are big egos in professional sports and spats happen. The only thing fans should be concerned about is whether those spats become bigger and affect the product on the pitch. So until that happens, I think Wheeler's article was premature.

v00d00daddy
08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Yep... although Brunt wouldn't write a story citing "sources" for this kind of thing.

If he covered the story at all, Brunt would go up to Mista and ask him. Then he'd ask Preki to his face.
If both men deny it, you just don't have a story. Anything else would be putting words in their mouths, even if someone in the team tells you otherwise.

Now, if Mista quits the team or is sent on the next train home, then it matters. But at that point, you don't need "sources." You'd be told by the team.

I don't get this. You're telling me that:

You don't believe ANYTHING unless it comes out of the mouth of one of the involved parties...

AND....

People around the team that (presumably) witness this kind of shit are fabricating stories?

Why would you ever even read stories about this team then? Regardless of who's writing them. Just watch the post game press conferences and assume that everything coming out of the players/coach's mouth is the truth.

Like Preki saying that Mista had "health issues"

I couldn't care less about Wheeler...totally indifferent about the guy but it seems like people are stuck on the quality of the journalist that he is...over the story that started it all.

GBV
08-24-2010, 03:29 PM
^ Yeah.
It's also a newspaper "column."

v00d00daddy
08-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Well that pretty much confirms it for me. No Mista in the game in Panama...when we're down a goal.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that Preki is not content with Mista right now.

Fucking ridiculous.

Juanito
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
^^

I'm starting to think that Preki does not have the club's best interest in mind. It's the Preki show or no-show!

Vince Whirlwind
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Lots of you owe Wheeler an apology....

andyc
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
When I was complaining about Mista not being introduced as a sub, my 11 year old boy, dripping with sarcasm said "Who would you bring Mista on for when we need a goal? Like Ibby or someone???"...

If my 11 year old can call that change how come the all knowing Preki can't?

CretanBull
08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Lots of you owe Wheeler an apology....

Why? Him not playing tonight means that it "could be the end of the Spaniard at TorontoFC"? Maybe it means what Preki said - he's still not in game shape?

nfitz
08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Lots of you owe Wheeler an apology....No one said that there wasn't an issue.

However, Wheeler's story "TFC's Mista refused to come out for second half: Source" was clearly a lie that you'd only expect of some amateur rag like the Sun.

Preki is clearly the issue. Perhaps MLSE can suspend him for a couple of games ...

Heart of Stone
08-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Mista seems kind of arrogant ... Preki is a life-long MLSer who knows the score... when the long-term is considered I don't have a problem with the Head Coach asserting his authority/demonstrating to a newly arrived player how the MLS operates... other successful MLS coaches would do the same thing... it is up to the player to adjust...

Vince Whirlwind
08-24-2010, 09:59 PM
No one said that there wasn't an issue.

However, Wheeler's story "TFC's Mista refused to come out for second half: Source" was clearly a lie that you'd only expect of some amateur rag like the Sun.

Preki is clearly the issue. Perhaps MLSE can suspend him for a couple of games ...

He wasn't on the bench for the 2nd half....no?

As to him being in game shape enough?? C'mon...that's stretching it. Sure to god he could have come in for the last 30 minutes at least.

This kind of open "scolding" of players is the kind of thing that leads to guys wanting to play elsewhere. Guevera should be a case in point.

werewolf
08-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Mista seems kind of arrogant ... Preki is a life-long MLSer who knows the score... when the long-term is considered I don't have a problem with the Head Coach asserting his authority/demonstrating to a newly arrived player how the MLS operates... other successful MLS coaches would do the same thing... it is up to the player to adjust...

The score was 0-1.

In '08 when Cunningham disappeared from the team to get married in California, Carver wasnt pleased, but put him in the 2nd half at LA. He scored the game winning goal in the 88th minute.

And when the alternative options are Joseph Nane and Dan Gargan...

Vince Whirlwind
08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
if you think Mista is arrogant...Preki has him beat by a mile!

Hell, that's why Chivas ditched him.

Heart of Stone
08-24-2010, 10:07 PM

Thought Carver was a little more arrogant than Preki or Mista...

backbeat
08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Thought Carver was a little more arrogant than Preki or Mista...

who the F#$K cares PREKI is FULL of himself and no matter what Mista should have been on the pitch - it makes me SICK!!

nfitz
08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
He wasn't on the bench for the 2nd half....no?Hmm ... I suppose technically no ... but it's incredibly misleading.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Is Preki really a "successful" MLS coach? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not typing that to be be flip, I just don't have his coaching record open in front of me, he's never won anything and never advanced in the playoffs past the first round. Not really wowing.

Edit: I see that he's advanced some in the playoffs and toped the West in points. Good, still not successful in a tangible sense.

GBV
08-25-2010, 06:10 AM
When I was complaining about Mista not being introduced as a sub, my 11 year old boy, dripping with sarcasm said "Who would you bring Mista on for when we need a goal? Like Ibby or someone???"...

If my 11 year old can call that change how come the all knowing Preki can't?

it's funny how quiet the GOL TV commentators were.
as if they wouldn't speculate "Maybe Mista will come on with the team down
1-0" -- if something wasn't up.

GBV
08-25-2010, 06:11 AM

sometimes ya gotta swallow your pride for the good of the team.
and i don't think pricki knows how.

Oldtimer
08-25-2010, 07:28 AM
I think Preki deliberately played a "C" squad, it had nothing to do with any rift with Mista.

If he wins the three home CCL matches, and Cruz Azul gets 6 points as expected against the other 2 clubs, TFC will be in as the second club (unless RSL gets 6 points against Arabe Unido, in which case it will come to goal differential).

Phil
08-25-2010, 07:37 AM
it's funny how quiet the GOL TV commentators were.
as if they wouldn't speculate "Maybe Mista will come on with the team down
1-0" -- if something wasn't up.

I was thinking that but in the past normally the commentators have surprised me with how open they were about some obviously touchy issues with the team.

It really is hard to tell. Time will be the best judge on this.

flambe
08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
I think Preki deliberately played a "C" squad, it had nothing to do with any rift with Mista.

If he wins the three home CCL matches, and Cruz Azul gets 6 points as expected against the other 2 clubs, TFC will be in as the second club (unless RSL gets 6 points against Arabe Unido, in which case it will come to goal differential).

If true, this infuriates me, putting the cart before the horse and all that. Rest 'em when we're through, and work hard until then.
A DP has no place not playing in an important CCL, and the fitness issue is BS.

backbeat
08-25-2010, 01:04 PM
i agree - it's total crap we didn't play our 'A' squad. getting 3 points would have potentially provided a lot more options for Preki down the road. It really pisses me off.

reggie
08-25-2010, 01:12 PM
with every thing said and done about pricki...i think we had a better record last after 20 games..nevermind the fucking boring soccer and unwatchable shite on the road...

GBV
08-25-2010, 08:08 PM

What would lead him to believe the team is a lock to go three-for-three at home though? I mean, sure, the home undefeated streak yadda yadda ... but there were several ties in there. And not many emphatic wins.
He's delusional if he thinks this team is a lock to go three-for-three against anyone, anywhere.
They might, but it sure as hell can't be assumed. If he's cool with playing a shit line-up and coming home from Panama without a point, then, well, then I got nothin' ... :facepalm:

Pachuco
08-25-2010, 09:21 PM

No freeking way. Your telling me he deliberately through the game but risked a Dero injury? no way. If you are going to throw the game the last person you want on the field is Dero. In fact, he would've put on Mista in that case.

Blizzard
08-25-2010, 10:43 PM
What would lead him to believe the team is a lock to go three-for-three at home though? I mean, sure, the home undefeated streak yadda yadda ... but there were several ties in there. And not many emphatic wins.
He's delusional if he thinks this team is a lock to go three-for-three against anyone, anywhere.
They might, but it sure as hell can't be assumed. If he's cool with playing a shit line-up and coming home from Panama without a point, then, well, then I got nothin' ... :facepalm:

As I've said before, banking on a home victory against RSL is very dangerous strategy. A victory last night would and should have been our insurance policy against anything less than three wins at BMO. Oh well. Thanks to Preki, that option is now closed to us and anything less than two more wins at home will most likely mean the end of our road.

KezmanCCCC
08-26-2010, 01:42 AM
I dont think preki is taking the CL as seriously as he should be and it really F***ing pisses me off.... its should be just as much of a priority to go as far as we can in the CL as much as in the MLS... and seeing the squad he put out over a rather VERY shitty Arabe Unido side just shows how hes not taking it seriously..... we were more likely to get three points out of yesterdays match then this saturday vs a very hot RSL....