PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thread: TFC 1-4 NYRB

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
The Good
-De Rosario scored a goal for us at least, even though he started off kind of slow.
-Mista looks like he's got a couple goals in him once he gets good and fit again.
-New BMO Field attendance record, even though it was a shit show and poor weather.
-Frei, as usual. Sigh :(

The Bad
-Losing to New York, 8 point gap between the two teams now.
-Angel scores against us (Again!) and Marquez debut goal against us!
-Lot's of mistakes on our part and not a lot of skill on their part.
-Jacob Peterson, and his lack of control when receiving a pass.
-Home unbeaten streak snapped.

The Ugly
-Nana Attakora's red card sending off. Looked kind of fishy and very uncharacteristic of him. Could he have been payed off? Let's see what Nana is driving next week. At his salary, I wouldn't blame him.
-Carl Robinson scoring against us. It looked like he wished he hadn't. We were so stupid for getting rid of him. A class act, but that goal stung.

and finally...

-JOSEPH NANE, you, yes you, should be sent back to the combine and should be sleeping under the bleachers. The fact that we pay you is an insult to the sport. You're own goal capitalized on a game which was riddled with mistakes. I said it in the beginning, and there will be opposition, but when you start in games this important, when Sam Cronin and Robbo were deemed "not good enough" it truely shows the incompentence of upper management. Please, if you really are committed to this team, leave it. As I said, you cannot fix suck.

Other Thoughts:

Even though we lost, it was mostly our fault. As a team, I'd give us a 5/10. If this is the consequence for a huge Cruz Azul win, then we can't complain. But these next away games, we CANNOT drop points.

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
If going to the playoffs means winning on the road then today we've just eliminated ourselves.

ag futbol
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
http://blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/faceplant.jpg

Fuck that was just frustrating.

I still think that in the end, as much as there are individual guys we rip on the difference is RBNY had more talent across the field.

Having Dane Richards on the wing (or an actual winger) and a replacement for Nick Garcia would be nice.

gracos
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
That game i would rather forget about, I am totally distraught, if we can beat Cruz, we should of at least kept up with NYRB, we didnt and I am totally hoping for a drastic change or we will lose both the League and the Champions League

Fushida
08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
The Ugly
-Nana Attakora's red card sending off. Looked kind of fishy and very uncharacteristic of him. Could he have been payed off? Let's see what Nana is driving next week. At his salary, I wouldn't blame him.
-Carl Robinson scoring against us. It looked like he wished he hadn't. We were so stupid for getting rid of him. A class act, but that goal stung.

and finally...

-JOSEPH NANE, you, yes you, should be sent back to the combine and should be sleeping under the bleachers. The fact that we pay you is an insult to the sport. You're own goal capitalized on a game which was riddled with mistakes. I said it in the beginning, and there will be opposition, but when you start in games this important, when Sam Cronin and Robbo were deemed "not good enough" it truely shows the incompentence of upper management. Please, if you really are committed to this team, leave it. As I said, you cannot fix suck..

:picard:

I know this was an ugly loss, but what a drama queen.

ilikemusic
08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
If New York stays healthy theyre going to be playing for the MLS Cup on our pitch. :confused:

I think the problem is clear. Toronto cant play until after 4 pm. And they play best at 8pm.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Just a little injection of humour in a bleak post game thread :D

I know he wasn't payed off :D

werewolf
08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
We can't be undefeated, we're not Arsenal.

I am more concerned with how the team responds in Panama, and hope its not the start of a cold streak.

TheKing7
08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I still love Robbo

gracos
08-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Mls Cup 2010 Champions: New York Red Bulls
Mls Cup 2010 Runnersup: Los Angeles Galaxy

Inklink
08-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Nana's been a rock in defense for us. I can let that handball, however mindless and obvious, go once. Same with Frei's mistake.

Peterson was the worst player on the pitch by far. Absoutely brutal.

Class by Robbo. Bring Robbo back!

MUFC_Niagara
08-21-2010, 02:07 PM
So happy robbo scored....TFC deserved that for the classless way they ran him out of town. Thank god I sold my tickets. Got money and had the luxury of turning that shit off. I think next year I am scalping my tickets on craigslist.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:08 PM
So happy robbo scored....TFC deserved that for the classless way they ran him out of town. Thank god I sold my tickets. Got money and had the luxury of turning that shit off. I think next year I am scalping my tickets on craigslist.

Craigslist? :D Dude, I'll take them off your hands. :D

__wowza
08-21-2010, 02:08 PM

his celebration made it look like he scored on his own net.

__wowza
08-21-2010, 02:10 PM
If going to the playoffs means winning on the road then today we've just eliminated ourselves.

can we make this our motto?

ag futbol
08-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh, can i say Gargan had an outstanding game despite the loss... thought he was quite good, didn`t exactly have an easy job today trying to contain Richards.

reggie
08-21-2010, 02:11 PM

goodbye...:scarf:

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh, can i say Gargan had an outstanding game despite the loss... thought he was quite good, didn`t exactly have an easy job today trying to contain Richards.

Gargan always has a good game. He is probably our best signing this year.

Blixa
08-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Say goodbye to playoffs folks. Mind you, I've been saying this for over a month now.

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 02:16 PM
can we make this our motto?

Perhaps something to add to your sig line. :D:D:facepalm:

Garcia was bad as usual and was pwned a lot but for once there were a lot worse playing than him.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Garcia was not a problem today.

Playoffs is not done. We're still in the exact same position as before, third in east, 7/8 overall. We just need to be strong away.

reggie
08-21-2010, 02:18 PM
we played like shit...but ny got every bounce today...

nana i love ya...but wtf

peterson for mista...wtf pt 2

Yohan
08-21-2010, 02:20 PM
The Good
-DeRo breaks his goal jinx
-LaBrocca's shot. it's really freaking hard
-Mista improving every game
-Dan Gargan

The Bad
-Losing to the Shite
-Joseph's own goal
-Peterson's first touch and passing

The Ugly
-Attakora's bonehead red card
-Henry and Salou's sitter miss

Ratings
Frei: 6.5
-Really shitty mistake gifting Robbo, pulls a string of saves later to redeem himself somewhat
Garcia: 6
-did ok. got exposed a few times (Angel's free header) but losing the game was not his fault. has no business trying to deliver a cross or a long pass
Attakora: -3
-worst game as TFC player. I think he was overawed by playing Henry or something, because the handball was pure Marvell Wynne move. Heck, even Wynne doesn't get himself sent off when he gives up a handball penalty.
Also at fault for Joseph's own goal when he failed to clear the ball before it bounced off Joseph's knee. Generally, nothing really went well for Attakora
Cann: 6
-Really should have been more vocal and commanding clearing away Joseph own goal. Missed a few headers which seems uncharacteristic
Gargan: 7.5
-Probably only real bright spot for TFC. Rarely make a mistake all game and did well to contain speedy Richards while contributing to attack.
LaBrocca: 7
-did all he could with his limited skills to try to generate TFC attack. unlucky to not to score on one of his chances
Saric: 5.5
-Rather invisible pretty much entire match
DeRosario: 6.5
-scored a goal which Coundoul should have done better against. seemed invisible a lot, and when he did have the ball, nothing really came out of it
White: 6.5
-showed a lot of hustle. good getting an assist which hopefully boost his confidence. is he Barrett Mk2?
Mista: 6.5
-Got involved early in the match, but faded out by mid 1st half. match fitness clearly not there, but he's going to be really good once he starts going
Peterson: 5
-really terrible first touch and poor passing. created one good chance for LaBrocca. still trying to figure out what he's suppose to be good at
Barrett: 6
-first touch wasn't there and injury clearly hampering him. hopefully he didn't aggravate his injury any further
Ibrahim: 5
-pretty much non factor after being subbed in. needs games at USL level

Random points
-TFC needs like 10-15 mins each game to settle in, before passes start to click and players start to settle. A rather vulnerable period, which NY almost took advantage to score
-Marquez goal. that was a beauty and took the air right out of TFC
-After DeRo's goal, the momentum was starting to go back to TFC's way, except Attakora had to screw it up.
-Robbo. classy guy. i really don't think he didn't want to score against TFC, esp when NY was up 2 goals and man advantage.
-I thought TFC was more unlucky in 1st half. Offence was working, creating chances. Just need to be a little more clinical with finishing. a little luck helps too
-TFC first touch sucks. And lack of movement. When one of your teammates is against the corner flag, surrounded by 3 dudes, someone please go help him out instead of standing around in the box

Vince Whirlwind
08-21-2010, 02:20 PM
oh man - now there's some sort of stink surrounding Mista...Preki saying he might not even make the trip to Panama...groan...

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:21 PM
:O

You stole my Good,bad,ugly! :O

TFC USA

Playoffs is not done. We're still in the exact same position as before, third in east, 7/8 overall. We just need to be strong away.

We're only 7th because Chicago has 2 games in hand (I think it's 2). We aren't strong away and some of our away opposition includes Seattle and Dallas.

__wowza

we're three games up on a team that sits 5 points, TFC being strong away is an oxymoron.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Believe guys! Believe :D

Vince Whirlwind
08-21-2010, 02:25 PM
In the post-game, Preki was saying Mista had some "issues"...hopefully this isn't another Robert situation.

Damien
08-21-2010, 02:25 PM
NY looks much stronger than LA this year... even without Henry at 100%. (and yes i know LA beat NY 1-0 last week)

I'm guessing if Mo's fired for missing the playoffs then Preki will just take on a Manager/Coach role?

reggie
08-21-2010, 02:26 PM
oh man - now there's some sort of stink surrounding Mista...Preki saying he might not even make the trip to Panama...groan...

where did you hear that?

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Believe guys! Believe :D

I believe we'll miss the playoffs.

That's what you meant, right? :D

J_Tibu
08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
That was painful to watch. One thing that frustrated the fuck out of me watching the game on TV is hearing Jason Devos talk non-stop about Thierry Henry and how good he is (yes Henry is his prime no doubt an amazing player) but all the tricks he was pulling and doing was because of well lesser opposition, fuck would love to see him try that shit in a top flight league and see how long a defender would let him do that before they take a big chunk of meat off his legs.

The own goal there was nothing that can be done, the first two should have cleared and Nane was unfortunate to push the ball in. The hand ball...need I say more?

In recap, the boys were beaten by a team with more skill and seasoned players, TFC injuries and fatigue was a huge factor. NOthing that can be done but learn and move on. Off to Panama boys..do us proud!

Vince Whirlwind
08-21-2010, 02:37 PM
where did you hear that?

Post game presser with Preki

Yohan
08-21-2010, 02:41 PM
it frustrates me that other than marquez goal, NY really didn't do much offensively that TFC couldn't handle (before attakora handball)

looks like an okay away support by NYRB supporters too

reggie
08-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Post game presser with Preki

injury...or a blowout with preki

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:42 PM
woah? What's going on with Mista??

denime
08-21-2010, 02:46 PM
So happy robbo scored....TFC deserved that for the classless way they ran him out of town. Thank god I sold my tickets. Got money and had the luxury of turning that shit off. I think next year I am scalping my tickets on craigslist.:picard:

You are the class act,and not just that.

You are a public servant paid by our tax dollars and a scalper .

I wonder every day what the fuck you still doing on this site and why your membership is still active.You should have been kicked out on the day you changed your board name from TFC to MUFC.

Waggy
08-21-2010, 02:47 PM
_Joe_Ross (http://twitter.com/_Joe_Ross)
Oh no. RT @gareth_wheeler (http://twitter.com/gareth_wheeler) Problems with #Mista (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Mista) and #Preki (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Preki) - writing about it now - could be the end of the Spaniard at TFC

:facepalm:

I think I feel sick

(edit, thats from twitter. Heres the link to the Ross tweet. I won't link to wheeler http://twitter.com/_Joe_Ross/status/21772751650)

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 02:49 PM
This team looks like it's ready to collapse again.

Waggy
08-21-2010, 02:51 PM

I wonder every day what the fuck you still doing on this site and why your membership is still active.You should have been kicked out on the day you changed your board name from TFC to MUFC.

While I agree with the spirit Denime, that may be a bit harsh. His job doesn't have anything to do with anything, and theres lots of names on this board that rep teams in other countries. There are also plenty of people who post similar sentiments, esp after tough losses. Its tough to single just him out. My .02, sorry for being off topic.

The big question: if TFC DOES miss the playoffs (which contrary to popular belief isn't a certainty), what happens to Mo? Is Champs League enough to save him? Given the way MLS is changing, is it time to try and bring in a more traditional manager looking for talent, and just have a cap expert assistant to make things work?

Redcoe15
Today was full of suck. Toronto had plenty of chances early on, yet couldn't capitalize. New York got all the breaks and made TFC pay. The own goal by Joseph, Attakora's handball that led to the third goal, and a rare goal by former hero Robbo, were the daggars in the heart for us.

Our side really is in danger of missing the playoffs for their fourth straight year of existance. What makes this truly sickening is that New York Red Bulls really were shite last year. Now, they look like a serious challenger for the MLS Cup. Seattle are better than us in their second season than our side's ever been in four, and San Jose might make one of the final post season spots.

This bears repeating:

MO
JOHNSTON
NEEDS
TO
HAVE
HIS
ASS
FIRED,
NOW!!!!!!!!!! :hulk:

reggie
Oh no. RT @gareth_wheeler (http://twitter.com/gareth_wheeler) Problems with #Mista (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Mista) and #Preki (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Preki) - writing about it now - could be the end of the Spaniard at TFC

I think I feel sick

(edit, thats from twitter. Heres the link to the Ross tweet. I won't link to wheeler http://twitter.com/_Joe_Ross/status/21772751650)
wow...its ok we got peterson to replace him...what a fucking day...:picard:

Darlofletch
ugly game. first game I've missed all year, and a good one to miss. overall though, we probably deserved a draw or a narrow loss. we just got unlucky, we came close on a few shots, whereas they had a 30 yarder go in, and then a bunch of goals that weren't deserved but were results of our brain farts.

attakora had probably his worst game for us, but he's generally excellent so I won't shit on him.

obie and peterson are terrible, there's just no sense of confidence and direction when they get the ball, they seem timid and scared to try stuff, which really isn't helpful.

robbo's lack of goal celebration was probably my favourite part of the game, heart warmingly classy stuff.

we missed de guzman today, we seemed to really be struggling with moving the ball forward without using the long ball, and there really should have been someone challenging marquez when he scored, just outside the box, sounds like where a dm should be.

so 2nd in our conference is now pretty much done, hopefully we can just hang on to 8th overall.

Vince Whirlwind
08-21-2010, 02:53 PM
What IS the deal with this team we have signed so many malcontents?

Is this normal for MLS? I don't so...

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Only we would fuck up a contract with a Spanish forward who actually looked like he would do well here. No other team in this league could ruin it. We did.

Waggy
08-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Only we would fuck up a contract with a Spanish forward who actually looked like he would do well here. No other team in this league could ruin it. We did.

Not true, theres always DC

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Fire Mo.

I don't even think he deserves the end of the season.

TFC Bhoy
08-21-2010, 02:55 PM
wow, im stuck working overnights so i can't make it to the game, i wake up and find this. im just hoping this is like inception and somehow someone has invaded my dreams but this is just unbelievable!!!

I was thinking it may be a tough game but 4-1 really?! ugh, I was going to watch the replay of the game at work tonight, but by the sounds of it, I may be lucky that i missed it

Darlofletch
08-21-2010, 02:55 PM

While I agree with the spirit Denime, that may be a bit harsh. His job doesn't have anything to do with anything, and theres lots of names on this board that rep teams in other countries. There are also plenty of people who post similar sentiments, esp after tough losses. Its tough to single just him out. My .02, sorry for being off topic.

The big question: if TFC DOES miss the playoffs (which contrary to popular belief isn't a certainty), what happens to Mo? Is Champs League enough to save him? Given the way MLS is changing, is it time to try and bring in a more traditional manager looking for talent, and just have a cap expert assistant to make things work?

nah, I'm with denime, the guy either believes what he writes, or is just trying to wind people up, either way trolltastic. and registered users are supposed to be the problem. I think this will be the first time i try and figure out the ignore option.

xj Darrell
08-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone miss JDG today?
Despite criticism from some people, he cannot just be replaced by any "utility" player...

Stryker
08-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd be pissed too If I was Mista and got taken off for the garbage that is Peterson.
If we release Peterson you know where he's going? USL. And even there he won't be a starter. Overpaid hack.
Why the hell did we start slow Garcia againest Angel and Henry when Usanov played so well last game and is speedy?
Preki must be hitting the bong.

Vince Whirlwind
08-21-2010, 02:59 PM
During the game, it was mentioned that Preki was constantly harping on Barrett (Barrett made a joke of it) - perhaps he (Preki) was doing the same to Mista and Mista isn't used to/dislikes this style of manager...?

Was Mista more match fit then we were led to believe and Preki not playing him in all games piss of Mista?

Goodbye season(s) if OBW is 3rd option from here on in...

Stryker
08-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Preki held the door open for Guevara to leave, wouldn't be surprised if he did the same for Mista.

Waggy
08-21-2010, 03:02 PM
nah, I'm with denime, the guy either believes what he writes, or is just trying to wind people up, either way trolltastic. and registered users are supposed to be the problem. I think this will be the first time i try and figure out the ignore option.

Fair enough. I just took it like venting but I totally see your point. Its worth figuring out the ignore thing, it's greatly reduced my stress level while reading these type of threads.

As for Mista- Would he go in a trade, or just walk away? Is this going to (again) hurt TFCs reputation amongst players? If he leaves now for free, we have available DP cap space right? Anyone got a somewhat realistic set of names that could come in? Remember Mo will be going into "I have to save my job" mode, money will be no object.

Vince Whirlwind
08-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Fair enough. I just took it like venting but I totally see your point. Its worth figuring out the ignore thing, it's greatly reduced my stress level while reading these type of threads.

As for Mista- Would he go in a trade, or just walk away? Is this going to (again) hurt TFCs reputation amongst players? If he leaves now for free, we have available DP cap space right? Anyone got a somewhat realistic set of names that could come in? Remember Mo will be going into "I have to save my job" mode, money will be no object.

have to be a FA without a team with the transfer windows closed...probably slim pickins indeed.

Darlofletch
08-21-2010, 03:07 PM
so i treid to lok on tfctv for preki's press conference, what's going on with Mista? he's finally looked dangerous the last two games, hopefully it's nothing that can't be worked out.

JonO
08-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow - what a disappointing game. I think, other than DeRo and Gargan, everyone had a bad game (Labrocca was okay). The funny thing is, other than their first goal, NY had a bunch of ugly goals that shouldn't have happened. Oh well - I hope it's just a one time thing...

Anyway, was it me or did Frei seem off his game today. Not holding him responsible for any of the goals (except the last, obviously), but he didn't really seem to have good command of his back line and his distribution was off as well...

JonO
08-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Anyone miss JDG today?
Despite criticism from some people, he cannot just be replaced by any "utility" player...
Me! I still expect/hope for more from him, but it was clear he was missed today...

Serb_Star
08-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Why is Nane getting so much blame for the own goal? Attakora should have cleared that ball, it's on him.

I'm loving Mista.

Redpunkfiddle
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM

I think I feel sick

Can't we ever just have a regular shit show? Why does it always have to be a super shit show when we are down?

Anyhow, lets see what this story actually means.

As for our post season chances, the numbers now say there is no way to the playoffs unless we win on the road. Which is what a playoff team should be able to do more than once per year.

Jack
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
A very good team beat us today. Rafa Marquez is class. better signing for them than Henry.

sidney
08-21-2010, 03:24 PM
JOSEPH NANE...Please, if you really are committed to this team, leave it.

This might be the best quote ever written in the forum!...brilliant...

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 03:27 PM
A bery good team beat us today. Rafa Marquez is class. Verter signing for them than Henry.

What? :D

I think they're berry berry good myself but I'm not sure Marquez is Verter for them than Henry. :D:D:D:D

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Also, mods, I know that a contribution is necessary in the form for membership. I'm studying to become a sports journalist and (hopefully) replace Brenda Irving one day! :D

Anyways, I was wondering if my contribution can be to the forum, in the form of the post game thread. I can do match analysis, game overviews, I'm usually at home for the games (unfortunately :( ) so they'll be on time. I think that this is something I can offer to the RPB. Let me know :D

-JBX

dupont
08-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Anyone miss JDG today?

I sure fucking missed him. No matter how much people think he should be doing, I think we benefit from his skill and positioning on the field.

Stryker
08-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Can't believe someone said they missed Robbo. Yeah the guy was class but his passing was horrendous his last season here. Not to mention his huge salary and his recent injury troubles. Sentimentality is nice and all but lets get real.

ArmenJBX
All hope isn't lost. Here's the situation we're in right now.

We have 3 games in hand and just 5 points in front of Chicago. If Chicago wins all 3, we're..well, fucked. If they even lose 1 and we gain road points, it wouldn't be too bad. But, if they lose and draw, lose and lose, or, lose x3, we're back on track.

ArmenJBX
Can't believe someone said they missed Robbo. Yeah the guy was class but his passing was horrendous his last season here. Not to mention his huge salary and his recent injury troubles. Sentimentality is nice and all but lets get real.

I think he's a class act. I'd rather have him then Nane. I'd rather have Cronin then both. I'd rather have Lampard then all three :D

Oldtimer
08-21-2010, 03:37 PM

remember not to renew your RPB membership...

Jack
08-21-2010, 03:37 PM
What? :D

I think they're berry berry good myself but I'm not sure Marquez is Verter for them than Henry. :D:D:D:D

Lol damn iPhone was on Spanish setting. Anyway, Marquez is a phenomenal player with ability to boss the midfield and great on longballs and dead balls. Look what he did today and expect more if the same. Henry is great, no question, but Marquez will be the engine of that team.

sidney
08-21-2010, 03:38 PM
-JDG was missed, so yes that we need him in the starting 11. But NO to his 1.7mil salary
-Robbo was/is a class act. But he pisses the ball away all the time.

Stryker
08-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I think he's a class act. I'd rather have him then Nane.

You'd rather have an injury pron $315,000 cap hit whose skills are on a steep downward slide than a healthy, physical 23 year old who's steadily improving and only costing us $40,000?

And I thought Mo sucked as a manager.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 03:41 PM
You'd rather have an injury pron $315,000 cap hit whose skills are on a steap downward slide than a healthy physical 23 year old who's steadily improving and only costing us $40,000?

And I thought Mo sucked as a manager.

Hey, give me a break! There is no salary cap in FIFA 10 :D

I'm sure tomorrow my mind will change but I just can't find a way to like Joseph Nane. True, Robbo isn't the best replacement, but certainly Cronin was better.

I just have a really bad feeling about Nane. When Attakora was still young and making mistakes (Oh boy did he make some big mistakes in year 2) I still thought he had great potential. With Nane, all I get is a lot of "Oh shit, this is bad"

Oldtimer
08-21-2010, 03:42 PM
robbo's lack of goal celebration was probably my favourite part of the game, heart warmingly classy stuff.

Did you see Robbo? He was crying. I think he felt really mixed emotions scoring against TFC when the fans so broadly applauded him.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Did the crowd clap when he scored?

And also, while I'm typing something. I just watched the Rafa goal again and all I can say is Holy Sheet that was a good goal.

Davenport
08-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Today's game proved that these 4 TFC players are just not good enough. They all look way out of their depth.

Ibrahim
White
Joseph
Peterson

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 03:44 PM
The only enjoyable thing besides our goal was how Henry missed that sitter.

0 goals in 5 games. But if we give him more time I bet he tears the league apart.

torontocelt
08-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Perterson was utter crap today, I have yet to see him have a good game. TFC came up against a better team today and what's more TFC were bang out of luck whereas the Red Bulls got a lot of breaks. TFC had many good chances that on another day might have went in and then it could have been a different game. Marquez scored a fantastic goal, Henry showed in spurts what he has to offer and Angel made some fantastic runs, those three are a lot for a team to handle. I was impressed with other Red Bull players also, it is quite clear to see why they are doing well.

MUFC_Niagara
08-21-2010, 03:45 PM
NY looks much stronger than LA this year... even without Henry at 100%. (and yes i know LA beat NY 1-0 last week)

I'm guessing if Mo's fired for missing the playoffs then Preki will just take on a Manager/Coach role?

So is it time to take some action against Month now.....or are we still content with sitting on the fence?

Redpunkfiddle
08-21-2010, 03:46 PM
The only enjoyable thing besides our goal was how Henry missed that sitter.

0 goals in 5 games. But if we give him more time I bet he tears the league apart.

I don't use facepalms, but I am getting close.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
So is it time to take some action against Month now.....or are we still content with sitting on the fence?

I'm assuming month was Mo?

It auto changes it on my iPod touch so I guess you're on mobile :D

nimamalek
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
a lot of people on these boards have no idea what they are talking about, Nane Joseph had a fantastic first half, probably out played JDG in the holding role. the own goal was unlucky
The team played another fantastic first half, both NY goals were against the run of play, if we'd sunk one of those chances it would have been a different game

torontocelt
08-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Today's game proved that these 4 TFC players are just not good enough. They all look way out of their depth.

Ibrahim
White
Joseph
Peterson

Agreed although I think Joseph deserves more of a chance although his first touch is poor at times. I think if he worked on that, became a little bit more of a physical presence and also learned how to play the simple pass then you could have a decent player.

TFC USA
I don't use facepalms, but I am getting close.

Dude I'm being sarcastic because that's the shit I've been hearing for the last few games.

Oldtimer
My take:

White was amazingly poor. First half didn't seem to give much effort. Second half (probably after having Preki make his unhappiness known) gave more effort but played poorly. I would have preferred that Preki start Barrett.

We see how fragile our defense is when JDG is away. They come under much more pressure, and do things like handballs and own-goals. JDG missing left a huge hole in the midfield.

Despite scoring a gifted goal, Robbo isn't as good as I remember him being at TFC. His distribution was quite poor. I don't know why.

Peterson played like crap. I've seen better than that in USL.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
He's good at nothing. He's okay at some things. He's horrible in a lot of things. I'm not saying he is a horrible player. What I am saying, and what I will say again is:

JOSEPH NANE IS NOT A STARTER.

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
a lot of people on these boards have no idea what they are talking about, Nane Joseph had a fantastic first half, probably out played JDG in the holding role. the own goal was unlucky
The team played another fantastic first half, both NY goals were against the run of play, if we'd sunk one of those chances it would have been a different game

We played well but I hope people remember how lucky we were not to have a 1st minute penalty against us courtesy of NIcky Garcia.

Voodooman
08-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Completley agree..will add some points.

I like the way Saric played today, but Garcia, White and Nane were all awful today.

MUFC_Niagara
08-21-2010, 03:52 PM
remember not to renew your RPB membership...
No worries there friend!

Stryker
08-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Saric is coming around after playing so recklessly awful before his injuries.
White and Peterson aren't good enough and between them salary wise, could equal a damn fine signing.

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Most goals we've ever conceded at BMO in MLS happened today.

Yohan
ref was again poor

thought Lindpere deserved a penalty on first min. it was a rather clumsy challenge from 2 tfc defenders

and that gargan foul that led to joseph own goal. ugh

ArmenJBX
Keep:

Stefan Frei
Jon Conway
Dan Gargan
Maxim Usanov
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Ty Harden
Gabe Gala
Raivis Hscanovics
Amadou Sanyang
Julian de Guzman
Martin Saric
Dwayne De Rosario
Nick LaBrocca
Maicon Santos
Chad Barrett
Miguel Mista

Everyone else: Hit the road :D

MUFC_Niagara
08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm assuming month was Mo?

It auto changes it on my iPod touch so I guess you're on mobile :D

Lol...ya I am on my mobile and ya month is mo

torontocelt
08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
He's good at nothing. He's okay at some things. He's horrible in a lot of things. I'm not saying he is a horrible player. What I am saying, and what I will say again is:

JOSEPH NANE IS NOT A STARTER.

Every team needs squad players. He is quite raw but it is hard to pick up experience if you do not play. To be honest I see some promise in him. He is by no means the worst we have and he certainly wasn't to blame for today's loss. Just because someone scores an og doesn't mean he is shit, unless you do it many times like Garcia. The og wasn't even his fault.

Stryker
08-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Keep:

Stefan Frei
Jon Conway
Dan Gargan
Maxim Usanov
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Ty Harden
Gabe Gala
Raivis Hscanovics
Amadou Sanyang
Julian de Guzman
Martin Saric
Dwayne De Rosario
Nick LaBrocca
Maicon Santos
Chad Barrett
Miguel Mista

Fixed.

edit - actually Labrocca is decent for his salary but I'd rather he be a bench player on a stronger team.

ua-kozak_TFC
08-21-2010, 04:04 PM

BUDDY have you looked at the standings... obviously not. Although we we can still matematically make the play offs. BUT, the west is super strong if the LAvs sanjose game stays this way. There will be 6 teams in the west who have atleast 2 more points than us, more importantly 3 of these 6 teams have a GAME in hand. ON TOP of that we have it tough in our division with Chicago breathing on our neck with a mere 2 points away from us, but 3 more games yet to play. AND if this doesn;t seem tough enough for you.. with the 10 games still left to play 6 of them are away. :picard::picard::picard:

mclaren
08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Positives:
LaBrocca
Mista
Frei

Negatives:
White (get rid)
Peterson

bgnewf
08-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Carl Robinson actively got his team mates to stop cheering and celebrating after he scored his goal. It was one of the classiest things I have ever seen take place at BMO Field.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 04:07 PM
BUDDY have you looked at the standings... obviously not. Although we we can still matematically make the play offs. BUT, the west is super strong if the LAvs sanjose game stays this way. There will be 6 teams in the west who have atleast 2 more points than us, more importantly 3 of these 6 teams have a GAME in hand. ON TOP of that we have it tough in our division with Chicago breathing on our neck with a mere 2 points away from us, but 3 more games yet to play. AND if this doesn;t seem tough enough for you.. with the 10 games still left to play 6 of them are away. :picard::picard::picard:

Yes, I've seen the numbers. Yes I've seen the west. Yes, I've seen all these things. Here's the thing. It ain't over till it's over (Unless you're DC, then it's over)

Those west teams have to play each other. We have a 10 games left. It takes about 40 points to get in. That means 14 points in 10 games. We can do that. That's not impossible.

mclaren
08-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Gargan always has a good game. He is probably our best signing this year.

I am usually a Gargan fan but he was TERRIBLE today. Had one good cross, that was about it. They were a constant threat down his wing, because he lacks pace big time. Shame because I generally like him.

JonO
08-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I am usually a Gargan fan but he was TERRIBLE today. Had one good cross, that was about it. They were a constant threat down his wing, because he lacks pace big time. Shame because I generally like him.
You do realize that he was playing on the left because Garcia would've been destroyed. Not many players in the league can keep up with Dane Richards...

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, on a more positive note, Chelsea won 6-0 today! Woohooooo :D

West220Side
08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
The Good
-JOSEPH NANE, you, yes you, should be sent back to the combine and should be sleeping under the bleachers. The fact that we pay you is an insult to the sport. You're own goal capitalized on a game which was riddled with mistakes. I said it in the beginning, and there will be opposition, but when you start in games this important, when Sam Cronin and Robbo were deemed "not good enough" it truely shows the incompentence of upper management. Please, if you really are committed to this team, leave it. As I said, you cannot fix suck.

I wouldn't hold it against him, in my opinion he was Man of the Match until he made that wrong move. It was poor marking, and he slipped which sent the ball in.

Joseph Nane Good:

- Had the most shots on target of the first half,
- Came back defensively clearing a few mistakes on Gargan & Garcia's part
- Was the best man on the team up until the own goal.

Joseph Nane Bad:

- Own Goal.

The good out-way the bad, no?

denime
08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Anyone miss JDG today?

Team missed him the most,we couldn't connect 3 consecutive passes,between defense and mid/forwards.

And as much I was disappointed in his performances this year,today it was so obvious how much he means to this team.

Dunc
08-21-2010, 04:18 PM
i missed the match, did robbo celebrate his goal?

edit: nevermind, now ive read the answer in the thread lol

denime
08-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Just watched Preki's post game interview and all he said was "Mista has health issue "nothing else.

denime
08-21-2010, 04:42 PM
i missed the match, did robbo celebrate his goal?

edit: nevermind, now ive read the answer in the thread lol

CLASS ACT !

http://i35.tinypic.com/2yngcjl.jpg

manic.street.preacher
08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
what is it with the Energy Drink that makes us collapse?? ... *le sigh* time to pick up and dust off though, can't dwell on it with the tight schedule we've got

ps Robbo is pure class, i miss him in Red terribly

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Anyone miss JDG today?

I have clearly been very negative on bringing in JDG as a DP, but today is precisely the day we needed him. I think the scoreline would have been different. I don't know if we would have won, but I think we could have gutted out a draw.

ag futbol
08-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Keep:

Stefan Frei
Jon Conway
Dan Gargan
Maxim Usanov
Nana Attakora
Adrian Cann
Ty Harden
Gabe Gala
Raivis Hscanovics
Amadou Sanyang
Julian de Guzman
Martin Saric
Dwayne De Rosario
Nick LaBrocca
Maicon Santos
Chad Barrett
Miguel Mista

It must be pretty near the end of the road for Gabe Gala.

Give him credit, he's a better professional than he would be if he hit the NCAA route. But if we want to make room for other academy players he's an obvious candidate and he's got a long way to go. USL1 might be a good stepping stone for him, MLS seems like a pretty steep requirement.

As for Robinson, I swore on my grave last year his passing was un-mitigated garbage, but i've actually seen him play a good game or two in the center for RBNY. Amazing what having a winger or two will do for opening up the field.

The only speed we have out wide is peterson, ouch.

Alixir
08-21-2010, 05:03 PM
we go from playing the best game of our existance to one of the worst.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 05:05 PM
I am not freaking out like some people today. If there was a team in this league that I was betting going to the MLS final, it's NY. TFC is simply not good enough right now, and I have known that all season long. Yeah we beat Cruz Azul. In my opinion, that win did more damage than good as it has deluded some of us into thinking this team can win something this year. It can't. There are too many gaps. Not enough depth. Our impact players are extremely limited (actually I think it pretty much stops at DeRo). Our bench is nowhere near good enough and we are playing unimaginative football.

So let's just recognize the facts about this team that this season it will be near impossible to know game in game out what team will show up. We were beaten by the better team (who also got a little help from lady luck and the ref). It happens. Things haven't changed much since the game from Cruz Azul, we just got a different result.

Blizzard
08-21-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm wondering why people seem to have forgotten that the foul called on Gargan that led to the free kick and the own goal.

It was accidentally shown on the video screen and it was immediy clear that Gargan had made a perfect tackle. All ball and not from behind. That call can be roughly equated with the foul called on Nana v Cruz Azul.

Two horrible calls that led to goals. Sure we should have done better defending that free kick but at the same time, there shouldn't have even been a free kick!

Why is Nane getting so much blame for the own goal? Attakora should have cleared that ball, it's on him.

I'm loving Mista.

colman1860
08-21-2010, 05:08 PM
The number of people on here who have a hissy fit after a loss is astounding (looking at you, JimmyBald) - Nana was paid off? WTF??? Take your tinfoil hat off.

And you clearly have no understanding of the game if you say Nane would help the team by leaving...he scored an unlucky own goal which I attribute more to Attakora failing to clear the ball than to him.

Finally, I get that OBW isn't a speed striker and probably won't ever score in double digits in his career, but he's here to play a role. Today, he set up Dero's goal and his physical presence created lots of space for others (watch Game in Six - we had a TON of chances)

billyfly
08-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, that sucked.

T0R0NT0 FC
08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
People People!!! Go back and watch the replay of the own goal again, it truly isn't Nane's fault. Nane was standing there coving his guy, the ball comes in and either White or Nana swing at it an miss it completely, while standing about 1 m infront of Nane. Absolutely NO time to react to it and thus it unfortunately bounced in off Nane's leg. Nothing he could do in 0.01 seconds from the time the ball was wiffed on!

MG42
08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, that sucked.

billyfly tells no lies.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Finally, I get that OBW isn't a speed striker and probably won't ever score in double digits in his career, but he's here to play a role. Today, he set up Dero's goal and his physical presence created lots of space for others (watch Game in Six - we had a TON of chances)

The problem with Obie is that he isn't particularly exceptional at anything he does. He's pretty much an average to below-average player. As long as we realize that, I think we won't be upset as much. The problem is that people are expecting him to actually do something up top and the plain fact is that he can't. I don't know if it is the injury that delayed his entry into MLS to blame or if he was never good enough to begin with. But much like Barrett, it would appear some of the powers that be are willing to give him 2 to 3 seasons before accepting something which some of us recognized after 10 games. If you don't have touch and skill by this point, you will never have it.

ag futbol
08-21-2010, 05:13 PM
That's not exactly how i saw it.

Yeah he gets the ball, but his other leg crashed through richards sending him falling onto his head. It looked pretty fishy to me too, but on my TV the replay was pretty clear you can see Richards go twisting backwards once Gargan gets him from behind.

Let's not forget out first minute stone wall penalty call that he (thankfully) missed. There might have been mistakes, but they pretty much cancelled themselves out.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 05:14 PM
And yes, that goal was definitely not Nane's fault. The FK should never have happened and the defender in front of him should have cleared it. He just happened to be standing in the wrong spot for the ball to go off of him and in. Blaming Nane for the goal is silly. But he didn't have a particularly good game either though...

manic.street.preacher
08-21-2010, 05:14 PM
also these Mista v Preki twittered fueled rumours are causing me all kinds of stress, hopefully something solid comes out soon

wzhxvy
08-21-2010, 05:16 PM
The Mista situation better be a health issue. If Preki pissed him off then he and Mo should be gone tomorrow. Its one thing to be intense and push your players but also he needs to know when to back off...I better not hear that Mista is gone.

shwade
08-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Thank you Mo for doing fuck all before the Transfer window closed. And thank you Preki for potentially running out another one of our skilled attacking mids.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Alright, what the hell is going on here? All I understood from the post-game interview with Preki is that Mista is possibly hurt and won't be making the trip. Are the score guys aware of some problems between Mista and Preki or is this just a bad rumour with no basis. I can't take any more drama coming from Preki, I really can't. I will wait until there is confirmation of some sort. I hope it's all BS.

ag futbol
08-21-2010, 05:20 PM
And yes, that goal was definitely not Nane's fault. The FK should never have happened and the defender in front of him should have cleared it. He just happened to be standing in the wrong spot for the ball to go off of him and in. Blaming Nane for the goal is silly. But he didn't have a particularly good game either though...
Yep, that's the point i think most people are trying to make here. He's really just an athlete with nothing else to offer. This isn't about an own goal that anyone would have been on the end of if they were standing in his spot.

billyfly
08-21-2010, 05:21 PM
billyfly tells no lies.

I would also like to say that eating Tiny Tom donuts, Waffle with Ice Cream sandwich and Fried Butter all within 30 mins after the game is a bad idea.

shwade
08-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Didn't they use the injury excuse for another player before they released him? I forgot who it was..

billyfly
08-21-2010, 05:22 PM
1 more thing. After we kicked out the guy in the NYRB jersey, our luck changed.

London
08-21-2010, 05:23 PM
people,

Danny score the fucking goal 4 years ago!!!!

you still can't sing it right?????

worst 23:13 ever!!!!!!!

might be time to retire it

habstfc
08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Today's scoreline could easily have been 4-1 in our favour, that's what happens when you don't put the ball in the net when you get the chance. After Labrocca hit the post and the mad scramble that occured and then the OBW missed chance just inside the 18 yard box followed immediately by Dero's shot (that was the turning point for me anyways, when I knew TFC weren't going to win this game) that was blocked, it wasn't meant to be today. I thought we could have won this game even after going down 2-0, but the Nana penalty and sending off squashed any chance at a comeback.

I'm not really impressed all that much with the red bulls am I the only one that feels this way? 3 of their 4 goals were off mistakes and even the marquez goal is about 75 % luck, all the stars have to align for that to go in. Don't get me wrong it was a great strike but still there has to be alot of good fortune to hit that part of the net. Overall I thought we were the better team today until the penalty call.

The reason I'm not all that impressed with new york is they look really weak at the back. They were very lucky not to have a couple more scored against them. Some of you are picking them to win the mls cup I just don't see it. When they play the likes of columbus or L.A. right now at least I easily think they (columbus and L.A.) are better teams.

I think making the playoffs is attainable for tfc, they have 10 games left so it's hardly over, although it won't be easy. Chicago may ahve 3 games in hand but that doesn't mean a whole lot if you don't win those games.

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 05:30 PM
We have 6 road games in our final 10 and we can't seem to beat Philly on the road or Kansas City.

I think we will be scoreboard watching.

pekduck
08-21-2010, 05:31 PM
people,

you know.. most people who can't sing it right are not on this board :rolleyes:

but yeah... it's pretty sad today

denime
08-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Alright, what the hell is going on here? All I understood from the post-game interview with Preki is that Mista is possibly hurt and won't be making the trip. Are the score guys aware of some problems between Mista and Preki or is this just a bad rumour with no basis. I can't take any more drama coming from Preki, I really can't. I will wait until there is confirmation of some sort. I hope it's all BS.

Preki said Health issue;

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2289

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 05:33 PM
people,

There are actually quite a few good reasons to retire it, that should be discussed in the song thread, but I were to vote on it right now, it would be to stop singing it. I think even Danny would agree.

West220Side
08-21-2010, 05:36 PM
my two cents on the 23:13,
Yes, sometimes it doesn't happen on time and sometimes it isn't always as loud as it should be but i think every game we have we should do something to honor Danny... I'd feel just awful the one day i hear nothing but silence at 23:13..

Whoop
08-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Didn't help that some broke out into a different song right around the 22:30 mark....

dantdot
08-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't remember TFC being on thestar.com's front page. Of course, it happens today.

London Red
08-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Anyone else think Nane actually looked alright in the back? His height with Cann could be a good combo in the middle. Moving Attakora over to Old man Garcia's spot could get him up field occasionally too.

Bloor West FC
08-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Can we just get someone who can shoot a hard ball in the net form outside the fucking box! I mean come close to the net why can't we have someone who can shoot the fucking ball. Why is it all stupid passing when the should shoot the fucking ball. Ball in net equals goal, we get more goals we win!!! YAY fuck I should coach for a day LOL.

jk about the coach part but maybe I should not.

TFC USA
08-21-2010, 06:23 PM
We just don't have goalscorers and that is solely Mo's fault.

Jeff s
08-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Anyone else think Nane actually looked alright in the back? His height with Cann could be a good combo in the middle. Moving Attakora over to Old man Garcia's spot could get him up field occasionally too.
You serious? Nana and Cann is one of the most solid duels in the league. Attakora can't contribute anything on offense.

Put Usanov on the right and Gargin on the left.

Preki fucked up a lot today. From the starting line up to the subs. Our full backs were awful. Ny ran past them everytime and got in the box on so many occasions. Our offense was okay. We created a lot of chances, we just didn't put it away.

Peterson performance was laughable. He either mistouched the ball out of bounds or passed it right to the other team. Everysingle time.

Tbh, Nana kinda ruined it for us today. Which is odd to say because he's been great all season. But he has to take the blame today. First he missed the clearance on the own goal, than gets a really stupid pk when tfc were finally getting themselves back in the game.

btw as for the Dichio song. I don't even sing it anymore. I like Dichio, but come on guys, he's retired. Just end it. Lets just sing about the players that are actually playing and need the support.

Benficachop20
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Sadly i think this game kills our chance of making the playoffs. We are way to behind to catch up to red bulls for the automatic spot, were already out of a playoff spot, were behind 6 western teams (some of them have game in hands) and we are gonna get passed by chicago soon who have 3 games in hand. We have 10 games left and 6 of those are on the road.... and we know how good we are on the road. Lets see if Mo sticks to his word and leaves when we miss the fucking playoffs again.

Whoop
08-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Nah... he'll weasel his way in again but stating that TFC did well in CCL.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Can we just get someone who can shoot a hard ball in the net form outside the fucking box! I mean come close to the net why can't we have someone who can shoot the fucking ball. Why is it all stupid passing when the should shoot the fucking ball. Ball in net equals goal, we get more goals we win!!! YAY fuck I should coach for a day LOL.

For real. There isn't a game that goes by that I question whether the players on the pitch should call themselves "professional footballers" as opposed to placekickers for an NFL team. Shoot, maybe they should look into it, they'd make more money. I am tired of seeing balls sail over the net.

London
08-21-2010, 06:34 PM
let's forget our troubles

http://ll.broadbandsports.com/images/big_booty.jpg

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Sadly i think this game kills our chance of making the playoffs. We are way to behind to catch up to red bulls for the automatic spot, were already out of a playoff spot, were behind 6 western teams (some of them have game in hands) and we are gonna get passed by chicago soon who have 3 games in hand. We have 10 games left and 6 of those are on the road.... and we know how good we are on the road. Lets see if Mo sticks to his word and leaves when we miss the fucking playoffs again.

Mo never said he'd leave if they miss the playoffs. Just giving you a heads up. He chose his words carefully.

DoubleUp
our problem is. like I said before, clinical finishing in the attacking third. I am serious I would dedicate whole training session to this, because ours is very poor.

Whoop
For real. There isn't a game that goes by that I question whether the players on the pitch should call themselves "professional footballers" as opposed to placekickers for an NFL team. Shoot, maybe they should look into it, they'd make more money. I am tired of seeing balls sail over the net.

That or not knowing when to take the shot.

Whoop
08-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks Pat!

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 06:36 PM
our problem is. like I said before, clinical finishing in the attacking third. I am serious I would dedicate whole training session to this, because ours is very poor.

This has been a problem for TFC since year 1 and nothing has ever been done to fix it. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Whoop
08-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Mo never said he'd leave if they miss the playoffs. Just giving you a heads up. He chose his words carefully.

According to his words, he expects to be fired.

See below. LOL

Davenport
08-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Fixed.

edit - actually Labrocca is decent for his salary but I'd rather he be a bench player on a stronger team.

Agree Stryker 100%.

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Anyone miss JDG today?

We've won games without JDG and now we've lost one too. Having said that, Pretty sure he would've been better then some of the performances our midfielders put out today.

Speaking of DMs, anyone notice their TWO DMs scored goals today, what a crazy concept. Where can we buy one of those?

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 06:45 PM
As far as the game goes, I have no idea who that team was out there. Certainly not the team that played against Cruz Azul. Oh wait, that's right, cause the players who had fantastic games against Cruz Azul (Hscanovic and Usanov) were sitting on the bench. Gee, you'd think after performances like that Garcia would have to earn his spot back on the team.

Whoop
08-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Kind of sums up the match.

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2010/08/21/slam_TFC256.jpg&size=250x600&quality=85

Whoop
08-21-2010, 06:46 PM
And yeah the team missed JDG as the link. Team couldn't string 3 passes together for crying out loud. And JDG would have been accustomed to playing against guys like Henry and Marquez.

ecantona7
08-21-2010, 06:48 PM
The own goal wasn't nane's fault. Attakura should've cleared it. I don't blame Nane for that.
The penalty was an absolute gift to them from Attakura too. He just had a one-off game, I'm sure he'll shake it off and bounce back well on tuesday.

Don't understand the Mista substitution for Peterson at half-time which leads me to believe that something actually went down with Mista and Preki :(

White is really frustrating to watch. I personally don't rate him at all. Hope Mista's time at TFC is not done.

ecantona7
08-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Should also take into account that the team is probably massively knackered too considering our schedule.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 06:54 PM
We've won games without JDG and now we've lost one too. Having said that, Pretty sure he would've been better then some of the performances our midfielders put out today.

Speaking of DMs, anyone notice their TWO DMs scored goals today, what a crazy concept. Where can we buy one of those?

It's hard to argue with this logic.

It has been my biggest disappointment with JDG and the reason why I wasn't thrilled when he signed. He was signed for the wrong reasons. He was signed because he was 1) Canadian 2) Available and 3) Played in the top flight in Europe. There was no consideration of whether he fit on the team, whether he'd have an impact. There was no consideration for the style the team was going to try to implement. There was no consideration for whether a team that struggled to score in it's first 3 years should be spending it's first DP slot on someone who wasn't focused on scoring. No, but we signed him anyways because Mo could get some mileage out of the signing.

I love JDG. I love him on the national team. I love him as a person (he's a really nice guy). But his signing is endemic of this team that has been built with no focus, no strategy and no plan. Mo thinks he can sign players that have had success elsewhere and that they will adjust to whatever TFC decides to play. Preki thinks that all you need is a bunch of grunts grinding out 1-0 wins game in, game out. Both are wrong and under both systems, JDG was destined to fail.

Put JDG in LA and he shines. But here, we are less than awed. We needed a Michael Jordan and instead we got a Scottie Pippen, who without Jordan would never have won any trophies. We're still looking for our Jordan.

We need someone who can put balls in the net and scores on the board. We've never had him and we won't this year. I don't think we ever will with Mo at the helm.

Serb_Star
08-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Worst game of Nana's TFC career, at fault for 2 goals and gets sent off.

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Should also take into account that the team is probably massively knackered too considering our schedule.

I don't disagree with you here, these are the games that under other circumstances you would say "well that's fine, it's a great team and really, we should've lost this game". The problem is (and I said this 1000 times for the past 2 months), we always knew this tough schedule was coming. Therefore, those easy games we lost or tied that we had no business losing or tying will come back to haunt us now. I always knew we needed to be way ahead of 8th place by now if we wanted to be in 8th by the time the season is over.

It's going to be incredibly tough to make the playoffs at this point. Considering Chicago's 3 games in hand, our tough schedule and how many games we have left on the road. If we make the playoffs, it's because we somehow started winning the games we had no business winning, such as today.

Whoop
08-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Put JDG in LA and he shines. But here, we are less than awed. We needed a Michael Jordan and instead we got a Scottie Pippen, who without Jordan would never have won any trophies. We're still looking for our Jordan.

We need someone who can put balls in the net and scores on the board. We've never had him and we won't this year. I don't think we ever will with Mo at the helm.

Roogs, I thought DeRo was our Jordan. :D

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 07:10 PM
It's hard to argue with this logic.

It has been my biggest disappointment with JDG and the reason why I wasn't thrilled when he signed. He was signed for the wrong reasons. He was signed because he was 1) Canadian 2) Available and 3) Played in the top flight in Europe. There was no consideration of whether he fit on the team, whether he'd have an impact. There was no consideration for the style the team was going to try to implement. There was no consideration for whether a team that struggled to score in it's first 3 years should be spending it's first DP slot on someone who wasn't focused on scoring. No, but we signed him anyways because Mo could get some mileage out of the signing.

I love JDG. I love him on the national team. I love him as a person (he's a really nice guy). But his signing is endemic of this team that has been built with no focus, no strategy and no plan. Mo thinks he can sign players that have had success elsewhere and that they will adjust to whatever TFC decides to play. Preki thinks that all you need is a bunch of grunts grinding out 1-0 wins game in, game out. Both are wrong and under both systems, JDG was destined to fail.

Yeah I really don't want to rip on JDG today, I think he would've made a difference today. Having said that, he has no one to blame but himself. He isn't out because of an injury, and it's not the first time he misses a game due to suspension this year.

We missed him, but it's his fault we missed him. I'll leave it at that. Hope to see him continue to play the way he did against Cruz Azul on Tuesday. In a way, I think we were always going to lose today the way the collective team played, so it's good we'll have his fresh legs on tuesday.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I've had some time to think about things and I also saw the replays, perhaps I am being too hard on Nane. I still don't think he's a starter but he isn't that bad.

Secondly, obviously I know Nana wasn't payed off, it was a joke... Players make mistakes all the time. If you thought I was serious about it well, I wasn't. :D

It was always going to be a tough game. I think the success at CCL may have ruined our playoff chances though. Only time will tell.

Also, around the 33rd minute, you can hear in the background on the American stream "That Chad Garcia guy sucks!"
Made me LOL :D

Chevy
08-21-2010, 07:24 PM
As far as the game goes, I have no idea who that team was out there. Certainly not the team that played against Cruz Azul. Oh wait, that's right, cause the players who had fantastic games against Cruz Azul (Hscanovic and Usanov) were sitting on the bench. Gee, you'd think after performances like that Garcia would have to earn his spot back on the team.

+1. Not that Garcia had a terrible match (for him), but either Usanov or Hscanovic would be better options at the back.

Garcia offers nothing going forward at all. Zip.

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Roogs, I thought DeRo was our Jordan. :D

:lol:

Ass...even I am not so blinded by my love for DeRo that I think he's the best thing since sliced bread. I DO think he's the best player TFC has ever brought in and is right up there with the best players to ever have donned the Canadian shirt.

However...

We needed MLSE, TFC and Maurice Johnston to bring in a top, world-class scorer which was and still is the best use of the DP allowance. He never has, still hasn't and probably never will. We needed TFC to go out and land a Bellamy, Henry or Van Nistelrooy. Someone who may have fallen off from being the top choice at their world class clubs (and therefore might be willing to look at a big payday in MLS) but someone who could still rip our league apart.

GuelphStorm2007
08-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Mls Cup 2010 Champions: New York Red Bulls
Mls Cup 2010 Runnersup: Los Angeles Galaxy
Excatly what the League Wants

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Do you really think Raul is enjoying his time in Hertha? We could have had Raul playing in the Red of Toronto FC. No one went for him from our side. I bet you anything if we offered Marquez or Henry money (Which he's worth) we could have had him.

tfc2008
08-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Dont think on the stuppid CoCaf Cup we go nowhere there and its also not inportent.
Wat is inportent afther 4year MLS again no Playoffs and they promised us somuch o.a Fucking Mo Johnston, DO WE TAKE THIS LONGER of are you guys al nice guys who believe the shit in the offices

London
08-21-2010, 07:49 PM
i learned what a chelada is today!!

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
We're not out of the playoffs! We're still very much in. Even if Chicago pass us, we can overtake San Jose. If Chicago fail, who cares, we could overtake Colorado or Seattle. It's not over until it's over! There are still 10 games. That's 30 possible points. We only need 14 to make 40 points, which has always been enough to be in. Our toughest games are done. We have a couple Salt Lake games, but no more LA or NY games.

It's not over yet. There's still plenty of points to be had! :D

ecantona7
08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Disagree with the Concacaf CL not being important. Doing well in the concacaf CL would give the team more exposure in Mexico, S.A. and europe as opposed to success in MLS. Beating teams like Cruz Azul and succeeding in the CONCACAF CL is a big feat. The best atmosphere's have been on CL nights too.

For this year though, since MLS cup is here, I would rather we do well in MLS.

johnmolinaro
08-21-2010, 07:51 PM
I've ben told there's no issue between Mista and Preki, so you don't have to worry about the Spaniard going anywhere.

As for Robinson being a class act, I agree:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/08/21/sp-robinson-newyork-redbulls.html

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey John, are there any intern opportunities with CBC Sports? I want to write for Toronto FC, too many leafs converts and not enough real soccer writers imo. Let me know! :D

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 07:56 PM
You might want to start by spelling "opportunities" correctly. :lol:

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I believe I did?

Edit: Whoops, had two tabs open, fixed it on one tab, posted the wrong one on the other. Completely technical and not my fawlt.

(I know it's fault, just.....it's a joke before anyone starts! :D)

GuelphStorm2007
08-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I was there my self sat in 117. You could sum it up as a bad day at the office. Nana I think had his worst day as a Pro. Hopefully he will learn from that. We could have really used JDG today, But the positive I saw was is that Saric is staring to play better each game. Peterson what the hell was that. You cannot fault Frie on the First goal just a plain world class shot. If it wasn't for our mISCUES IT COULD HAVE BEEN A 1 1 TIE. Lets hope the boys learn from this and move on. Sometimes a little embarassment is good for you.

denime
08-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Do you really think Raul is enjoying his time in Schalke 04(Hertha)? We could have had Raul playing in the Red of Toronto FC. No one went for him from our side. I bet you anything if we offered Marquez or Henry money (Which he's worth) we could have had him.
FIXED ;)

WHITEY
08-21-2010, 08:12 PM

Ibrahim
White
Joseph
Peterson

Gotta agree with that, especially Ibrahim and White. They're in way over their heads and don't seem to be improving at all.

Somebody once said on here that they believed that TFC was a mid-level Premiership team LOL well in my opinion the way we played today Blackpool would destroy us quite handily and convincingly. We had the likes of White, Peterson, Gargan, etc, etc in the starting 11 against the likes of Henry, Angel, Marquez? The reality is this team is not built to make the playoffs and if we do manage to make the playoffs we won't go far. It's like Mo has taken scraps from other teams to surround DeRo, DeGuz, Frei, Attakora and Barrett; Cann is a very good addition isn't included in my scrap list. You don't win Championships with a team like we have built, sorry to say it but you don't. Why the fuck have other teams managed to pick up more quality players than we have? And this "rather play in New York or LA" don't fly with me because let's face it throw enough cheddar at some body and they will come. We had "dressing room" antics last season and we got rid of "the bad apples" apparently. We now apparently have "dressing room" issues again, who the fuck is the common denominator here folks?

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Exactly! No one even knows where Raul is anymore! :D Just some random German club! :D

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Houston is 1-0 right now against Chicago :D

Shakes McQueen
08-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Exactly! No one even knows where Raul is anymore! :D Just some random German club! :D

Schalke isn't "some random German club", and I'm befuddled at your assertion a few pages ago - bordering on an outright assumption - that Raul would have loved to play for Toronto FC of Major League Soccer, instead of them.

Anyway, this was a poor game for many players, and on many fronts. I won't comment much until I can re-watch the game more closely on my PVR.

I will say I find it mildly amusing that, every time we lose a game, it is always declared to be the one that has taken us immediately out of the playoff picture by a small group of people.

I just hope the team can rebound from this result in our next match.

- Scott

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 08:21 PM
If we payed him as much as Henry, per year, he would have "Loved" it here. Trust me :D

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Raul
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Adriano
Hugo Almeida
Nuno Gomes
Angelos Charisteas
Theofanis Gekas
Keiji Tamada
Miroslav Klose
David Trezuguet
Alessandro Del Piero
Hernan Crespo
Michael Owen

We chose Mista.

Just saying....

Shakes McQueen
08-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Where are you pulling all of these names from? Michael Owen? Del Piero? Hugo Almeida? Miroslav Klose? And we chose Mista instead of them, did we? Because you've got solid information (or any, for that matter), telling us that these players were available and prepared to play for Toronto FC if the cheque was big enough?

- Scott

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm not saying all of them would have come. I'm just saying, these are players who are, unfortunately, not being used by their teams, or are in teams that don't really need them anymore. Let's be realistic, Raul leaving Madrid is a paycheck, because if it wasn't, he'd be in Madrid.

Even though we're a little team, we still have the financial ability to pay them. One of those would have signed with us, not because they wanted to, but because we offered them too. Miroslav Klose hasn't got a game in Bayern for a while. The greek guys would fit right in in Toronto, same with the portuguese. One of them would have come over.

If last years SHITE can get Marquez and Henry, why do we have to settle for DP's like deGuzman and Mista?? Let's be realistic, de Guzman would be a horrible signing if he wasn't Canadian.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Whatever happened to Peterson being fast? He's the slowest fast guy I've ever seen. Forget Angel, Henry, and Marquez, Joel Lindpere's pretty boss.

xj Darrell
08-21-2010, 08:43 PM
When TFC brought in JDG and signed him for three full seasons, it was their intention to build a team around him. I think that is why Mista is here over other players. Someone who can work with Julian. Only time will tell if it will be a good partnership or another expensive misadventure.

Oldtimer
08-21-2010, 08:54 PM
If last years SHITE can get Marquez and Henry, why do we have to settle for DP's like deGuzman and Mista?? Let's be realistic, de Guzman would be a horrible signing if he wasn't Canadian.

New York gets these players because they are NEW YORK. People all over the world want to live in New York. It's a pretty small group that make it a life's ambition to live in Hogtown.

Disagree about DeGuzman. He is a fabulous signing. He just needs a DP striker who can bang in the goals to compliment him.

Oldtimer
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM
"It's nice to score, obviously," Robinson told CBCSports.ca after the game.

"I don't score many goals but I didn't celebrate out of respect for the Toronto fans who were great to me when I played here. I appreciated the reception I got when I came into the game, and the memory of that will last with me forever."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/08/21/sp-robinson-newyork-redbulls.html (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/08/21/sp-robinson-newyork-redbulls.html#ixzz0xIOl2C2y)

Hitcho
08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I think today was a gap in class which was emphasised by bad luck. We had some good chances. On another day they migt have gone in. On another day the game changing third goal for the shite bulls might have gone over the bar. We had some momentum before that and De Ro had given us hope. Nana hasn't been that bad before and hopefully won't be again. We were missing our DP and two most in form strikers. They were not. Today could easily have been a draw based on our performance in the first half. The important thing is that the team picks itself and gets back into a positive groove asap.

Mo has to go. If that fucker doesn't walk the plank at the end of the season then we should feed him to Samuel.

Robbo is pure class. He was pure class to the people waiting in the rain for a signature after the game today too. I hope he ends up back here when he stops playing.

Hitcho
08-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/08/21/sp-robinson-newyork-redbulls.html (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/08/21/sp-robinson-newyork-redbulls.html#ixzz0xIOl2C2y)

I'll say it again - Robbo is pure class.

Compare to Mo, who is widely regarded as a slinking, two faced, lieing weasel responsible for four years of ails on this team and squad.

Which one should have been kicked out last season?

Although after today the post season is looking bleak, so maybe that will finally get Mo out the door. To whoever posted about Preki becoming manager/coach, I would think the more likely scenario is that Jimmy takes over the GM role and Preki carries on as he is. At least, I hope it is. Preki has got his hands full right now and doesn't need another job on top of it.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 09:27 PM
And about the DPs, I just feel like we're misusing the whole DP rule. Other teams are signing the likes of Freddie Ljunburg, Nery Castillo, Rafa Marquez, Thierry Henry, Beckham, Omar Bravo, etc. and we signed Mista and De Guzman. They're not bad players but if we're going to spend the cash why not spend the cash. MLSE gives a lot of money for players on leafs, raptors, etc, so money is not the issue. We need to go after big name players who can make a difference on their own, like Henry/Marquez, etc.

We can do better then Mista.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Final score

Houston 4-3 Chicago. Hows our playoff chances looking now? :D

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Final score

Worst then yesterday.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Worst then yesterday.

Shit, I just saw the new standings. How did this happen? :(

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Shit, I just saw the new standings. How did this happen? :(

What new standings? I've been wondering why you've been saying that we are in 7th. We've been in 9th since the last loss in NY. Based on all the games today, the thing that changes is that New York becomes virtually impossible for us to catch all things considered. But Chicago and Colorado lost so nothing changed there.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I swear we were ahead of Colorado.

Apologies, I was misinformed. Ignorance of youth, etc. etc. Yeah, we gotta win some games.

Waggy
08-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Final score

Doesn't matter what the other teams do if we don't take care of business.

Also TFC highlights on the score, on the PK, someone on the Shitebulls was in the box early. They also chirp Henry about handballs. And I like that the TFC highlights are before the EPL ones. Moving on up in the world!

Edit- I'm not a sports writer but I do occasionally contribute to a friends basketball site. It's very small time, but I can tell you if I write something without TRIPLE checking my facts my editor shits a brick. If one of my random facts makes it through to the site we either hear about it in comments or via twitter, or see the results as fewer people read the next article out. Or all of the above. Opinion is one thing, opinion stated as fact is another. We're all guilty of it, if you looked at my posts on here they'd be LITTERED with examples of that. But I'm not trying to be a real sports writer, I'm just a ranter. Opinion stated as fact without doing enough fact checking, or without serious qualification is the difference between a Wheeler and a Molinaro (to name one of many good ones out there). While you may only be tossing out names for examples sake, if you don't qualify that list it hurts the readers impression of you. I knew what you meant but you can't assume every reader will. Again, I'm no pro. I'm barely an amateur so take my advice how you will, but that's a lesson I still struggle to really learn and properly apply.

Pachuco
08-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I swear we were ahead of Colorado.

Apologies, I was misinformed. Ignorance of youth, etc. etc. Yeah, we gotta win some games.

Actually San Jose and KC won today. So we lost ground to SJ (and they have a game in hand) and KC is now a win from tying us.

Blizzard
08-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I'll say it again - Robbo is pure class.

Compare to Mo, who is widely regarded as a slinking, two faced, lieing weasel responsible for four years of ails on this team and squad.

Which one should have been kicked out last season?

Although after today the post season is looking bleak, so maybe that will finally get Mo out the door. To whoever posted about Preki becoming manager/coach, I would think the more likely scenario is that Jimmy takes over the GM role and Preki carries on as he is. At least, I hope it is. Preki has got his hands full right now and doesn't need another job on top of it.

If you want Jimmy to fail, ya you could make him GM next year. The truth is he's nowhere near ready. He's got a lot of learning to do. Whether you like Mo or not, he knows how the MLS cap system works inside out. Any GM in this league needs to know that.

ArmenJBX
08-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I think he meant me, not Jim Brennan, though I may be mistaken! :D

Give me two weeks and the mlse budget and I'll build the best dynasty the league has ever seen!

nimamalek
08-21-2010, 10:11 PM
just watched the game at home, that own goal was Nana Attakora's fault, poor Joseph didnt even have a chance after Attakora completed missed the ball between his legs

jloome
08-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Doesn't matter what the other teams do if we don't take care of business.

Also TFC highlights on the score, on the PK, someone on the Shitebulls was in the box early. They also chirp Henry about handballs. And I like that the TFC highlights are before the EPL ones. Moving on up in the world!

Edit- I'm not a sports writer but I do occasionally contribute to a friends basketball site. It's very small time, but I can tell you if I write something without TRIPLE checking my facts my editor shits a brick. If one of my random facts makes it through to the site we either hear about it in comments or via twitter, or see the results as fewer people read the next article out. Or all of the above. Opinion is one thing, opinion stated as fact is another. We're all guilty of it, if you looked at my posts on here they'd be LITTERED with examples of that. But I'm not trying to be a real sports writer, I'm just a ranter. Opinion stated as fact without doing enough fact checking, or without serious qualification is the difference between a Wheeler and a Molinaro (to name one of many good ones out there). While you may only be tossing out names for examples sake, if you don't qualify that list it hurts the readers impression of you. I knew what you meant but you can't assume every reader will. Again, I'm no pro. I'm barely an amateur so take my advice how you will, but that's a lesson I still struggle to really learn and properly apply.

And yet you`re entirely willing to print it here without any supporting facts. Hypocrite. For all you know, Wheeler was right and this is just spin control.

Whoop
08-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Joel Lindpere was a helluva pickup by the NYRB.

H Bomb
08-21-2010, 11:20 PM
And yet you`re entirely willing to print it here without any supporting facts. Hypocrite. For all you know, Wheeler was right and this is just spin control.

ummm, maybe do some re-reading. dude said fact check, and also said on here it doesnt really matter. nothing hypocritical there at all

SirBobSaget
08-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Do you really think Raul is enjoying his time in Hertha? We could have had Raul playing in the Red of Toronto FC. No one went for him from our side. I bet you anything if we offered Marquez or Henry money (Which he's worth) we could have had him.

Raul signed a 2 year 12 milllion euro contract (so roughly 8 mil USD per year), TFC wouldnt be able to be anywhere close to those numbers. Besides TFC is nowhere near the league of Shalke, they finished 2nd in the Bundesliga last season, that's a tad more impressive than missing playoffs in MLS I would say.

TFCDP
08-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Wow!! Had to PVR the game and just watched it now.. Obviously a horrible game.. I'm out of touch for one day and come on this board and it seems like all hell has broken loose.. Mista.wtf.. supporter civil war... Probably the lowest I've felt all year about this team.. Amazing what a loss like this can do to a team.. Moral has to be at an all time low just days after an all time high........ Where do we go from here?

Keystone FC
08-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Wow!! Had to PVR the game and just watched it now.. Obviously a horrible game.. I'm out of touch for one day and come on this board and it seems like all hell has broken loose.. Mista.wtf.. supporter civil war... Probably the lowest I've felt all year about this team.. Amazing what a loss like this can do to a team.. Moral has to be at an all time low just days after an all time high........ Where do we go from here?
Panama.

Keystone FC
08-22-2010, 02:27 AM
I think today was a gap in class which was emphasised by bad luck. We had some good chances. On another day they migt have gone in. On another day the game changing third goal for the shite bulls might have gone over the bar. We had some momentum before that and De Ro had given us hope.
I wonder if there was a gap in equipment as well. Do our players have access to longer cleat shoes for wet grass? It looked more like the Red Wings vs. the Rangers than a soccer match in the first half the way the players were sliding around. Barrett looked like he reinjured his groin from slipping on the grass.

Robbo is pure class. He was pure class to the people waiting in the rain for a signature after the game today too. I hope he ends up back here when he stops playing.
+1

Roogsy
08-22-2010, 04:17 AM
Ok, the stuff that is separate from the game, let's deal with that by PM or in the private section. I have edited out anything unrelated to the game.

sampace
08-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Shows how the team without DeGuzman in the line up is not the same, I'd say we could miss Chad Barrett, or DeRosario, but as long as DeGuzman is in as the DMF lyncpin the team is alright. He is worth his money, why is this a sore point are members of the RED PATCH BOYS paying his salary and are pinched? MLS has lot's of money let them worry about the salary. What MLS needs to do is copy the RED BULLS and bring in one more striker of top quality / or swingman.

TFC had lot's of chances to score in this game and left wanting, three goals against were garbage, and luck, the header by Robinson a broken play for the Defence and poorly played by Frei. The hand ball and own goal, if we were more tidy this too could of been a 1-1 draw. WE played like the TORONTO ARGOS of last season making all kinds of "MISTAKES".

On the bright side, if we got our MISTAKES all out, I expect us to win 2-0 on Tuesday in Panama!

TFCDP
08-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Panama.

toucheh:D

Hitcho
08-22-2010, 08:51 AM
If you want Jimmy to fail, ya you could make him GM next year. The truth is he's nowhere near ready. He's got a lot of learning to do. Whether you like Mo or not, he knows how the MLS cap system works inside out. Any GM in this league needs to know that.

Well it was more just to point out that someone other than Preki should take over the job if Mo does go, but fair enough. I'd rather see Brennan stay as asst. GM for now and get MO eplaced with a senior hand that can do a better job.

Jimmy BX - based on your uncanny ability to predct the real worl through FIFA 10 I'd almost be willing to give you a shot at the GM role, although you'll need to curb your "jump in with both feet anf then back track later" tendencies or the press will murder you (not to mention the people on here).

Anyway, I still think today's game was bad luck catching up with us. Could easily have gone much better, and our first half performance didn't deserve a 2-0 half time defecit and certainly not a 4-1 loss overall. Tough away game coming up but perfect opportunity to bounce back. And if we win in Panama, then how good will our chances of qualifying from the group stages look?!

FluSH
08-22-2010, 08:54 AM
his celebration made it look like he scored on his own net.

I had much respect for Robinson before this game... now it's even more!!

"and here's too you Carl Robinson..."

tfc2008
08-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Mista, Preki butt heads:

Sources at Toronto FC have confirmed that Designated Player Mista was in a fit after being substituted at halftime of Saturday’s loss against the New York Red Bulls.

After the game, TFC head coach Preki said bringing Mista out of the game was a tactical move, as the Spaniard had a difficult go of it in the first 45 minutes. Preki went on to say Mista was dealing with “issues” concerning his health and that his high-priced striker may not make the trip to Panama for TFC’s CONCACAF Champions League game Tuesday.
The suggestion that Mista is, or was, injured seems to be a complete fabrication.
Mista did not return to the bench after halftime, raising an immediate red flag. Ten minutes into the second half, I questioned a TFC official about whether the Spaniard had picked up an injury.
After looking into the situation, I was told there was no injury to speak of.
“Nope, not injured. I think he’s showering,” the official said.
So either Mista picked up an injury in the shower or Preki is not telling the truth.
The real truth suggests the latter. The extent of the bust-up between Mista and Preki hasn’t been disclosed, but Mista not returning to the sidelines suggests a major rift between player and coach.
But sources tell me Mista will make the trip to Panama.
That being said, the look on Preki’s face when rightly questioned by the media about substituting Mista was worth a thousand words. It was a look of sheer disgust, a “who needs him,” anyway look.
This is Preki’s mantra — it’s his way or the highway. And while Mista isn’t going anywhere, he certainly is the latest casualty.
TFC players and brass have understandingly done proper damage control, nipping any issue in the bud. The quick reaction speaks to the newfound leadership inside TFC’s locker room. As well as the fact that TFC needs Mista for the stretch drive and Mista needs TFC to revive his career. And the fact that Mista seems happy with the city and the club — until now — bodes well for a positive resolution.
Poor choice
Mista’s halftime substitution was a poor tactical decision from the get-go, with TFC down to a division rival at home and needing goals. Mista is one of only two TFC players — Dwayne De Rosario being the other — that can changed the outcome of a game. So if Preki is truthful in saying the substitution was tactical, eyebrows should be raised.
To think midfielder Jacob Peterson could have a bigger impact on proceedings than Mista, coming off his best performance as a Red, is disconcerting. And if Preki wanted to replace a striker, it should have been O’Brian White.
If sending a message to Mista was the intent, Preki got it all wrong. The player didn’t need a slap in the face and the team, battling for points and playoff position, didn’t need an inferior XI on the field.
Mista doesn’t need to be bullied. He doesn’t need to be shown up either. He’s played for some of the top clubs in the world and understands what needs to be done to win.
The first half may have not been his finest, but Mista did have TFC’s best scoring opportunity and was regularly finding space in the Red Bulls back line, but he did not receive the ball.
It seems whenever former Deportivo La Coruna teammate Julian de Guzman isn’t on the field, Mista hasn’t been involved. This has to do with service and players trying to get their target-man into the game. De Guzman, having played with the best in the world, understands that to keep a talented player effective, you have to get them involved. On numerous occasions Saturday, Mista was left visibly and vocally frustrated with his teammates.
This isn’t the first time Preki has had trouble dealing with talented, yet fiery players. The coach infamously clashed with former TFC midfielder Amado Guevara while at Chivas USA, eventually winning out when Guevara was sent packing.
This time, Preki and TFC can ill-afford to lose Mista. Preki’s notion that hard work will create goals will only take this team so far. It’s composure and the quality of elite players that separates good teams from the great.
gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca

ACSertL
08-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Just for the record...Miroslav Klose started for FC Bayern on Friday. He's still Louis Van Gaal's preferred striker and is under contract until June 2011. His transfer fee alone would probably be in the 10 million Euro range.

But speaking to the game yesterday...that Rafa Marquez goal was the nicest goal I have ever seen at our stadium. I applauded it.

Also I can't say enough good things about Carl Robinson, and the way he acted yesterday just strengthens my belief. The man is class, there's no two ways about it.

Waggy
08-22-2010, 09:48 AM

First) Yes I know. I also said I'm not a writer I'm a ranter, just pointing out what I've been told. I also said I do it all the time. This is a message board based on speculation, if the guy wants to be a pro theres a difference. As a real journalist you certainly wouldn't speculate as freely in print as you would on this board right? And you're careful with what you say, probably putting a bit more thought and care into a post than most posters? Because as a journalist your reputation and credibility is all you have. That's all I was saying

2) I wasn't speaking about anything specific with Wheeler, just in general. I never said anything about Mista/Preki, just the guy and why he doesn't have the same credibility around here that others have. We don't know what the deal with Mista/Preki is, but we can say one reason people aren't freaking out yet is because the source was Wheeler. In fact, if it wasn't for Rycroft passing it along as well I doubt anyone would even have noticed the 'story'. Call it a hunch but I don't think that's a spot that a journalist wants to be in

Edit: sorry Roogsy, didn't see your post till after posting. If you want to delete, by all means. Just wanted to explain myself

ArmenJBX
08-22-2010, 09:57 AM
As GM my first order of business is signing Neymar from Santos. Impossible? Not so. The Chelsea deal fell through because he never really had a chance at first team football. I would ensure that he played every game he could.

Secondly, I would decrease ticket and beer prices. I would, unfortunately, have to increase chip butty prices to compensate, however, chip buttys will now come with higher quality bread and will always have sauce on the side.

After some high quality research (playing FIFA 10 manager mode) I would sign the following players: Michael Harrington, Cory Ashe, Will Johnson and Chris Pontius. I will offer them more money but also guarantee them free chip buttys 2.0 for a full year! This could not possibly fail to entice them, especially since the new chip buttys will have unparallelled flavour.

Now, getting rid of players needs to become a priority. I would offer Nick Garcia a contract extension, but as Toronto FC's official assistant to the assistant coach. Responsibilities include not playing and letting TFC win games. Joseph Nane woul be transferred to Portland Timbers with the promise that he's "not that bad". Any expendable players will be sold/traded. Nana and Cann, as well as Gargan, will be given pay raises, along with the chip bitty clause found in new signing contracts. This should be enough to hold on to them during the dreaded expansion draft.

About the drafts, well, do those two have a good deal coming. Portland will take Nane an Vancouver will take OBW. Come superdraft, I will ensure that our first round pick is traded so that we can reestablish friendly ties with other teams, something Mo ruined.

Sounds too good to be true? Well, it is true. With JimmyBaldX at the head of TFC, ruling the team with an Iron fist, we will become superior to all teams, including but not limited to...Shalke 04!!!

Vote JBX for GM!

PS: Also designated supporters section with groups in charge of tickets. NO MORE SCALPERS!

PPS: Free chip buttys to RPB!! (Not including applicable taxes!! Yay!!)

Gwando
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
All the hysteria about the playoffs! Please gentlemen (and ladies), let us keep our heads! First, I should remind all that there are 10 games to go...a long way still, in my book. Yes, at the moment we are out of a playoff spot, technically but, we still hold a game in hand on Seattle. If we win that game, we would be in a 3-way tie with San Jose and I am assuming they will get at least a point from the 2 games they have in hand, at which, based on Head-to-Head TB, we would have the 8th and final Wildcard spot over Seattle.

nfitz
08-22-2010, 01:00 PM
10 games to go ... but only 4 at home. And 3 of the 6 away games are international dates, and I expect we'll be missing a few key players for those.

Squad just seems to thin, with all these injuries ...

Sure, we've got a good chance ... but it's starting to feel scarier than it's felt for months.

canadian_bhoy
08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Just for the record...Miroslav Klose started for FC Bayern on Friday. He's still Louis Van Gaal's preferred striker and is under contract until June 2011. His transfer fee alone would probably be in the 10 million Euro range.

But speaking to the game yesterday...that Rafa Marquez goal was the nicest goal I have ever seen at our stadium. I applauded it.

Also I can't say enough good things about Carl Robinson, and the way he acted yesterday just strengthens my belief. The man is class, there's no two ways about it.

I'd agree with this. Angel scored a nice free kick in yr1. Blanco scored a cracker in the All-Star game but Marquez's goal yesterday has to be the best ever scored at the stadium.

Love Robbo too. We miss his character (and we miss Amado's feet).

Stryker
08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
^^^ Wheeler actually got it right for once.

maninb
08-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Man was Nane BRUTAL yesterday...a few games back it looked like he was gaining confidence but after yesterday's fiasco it looks like he hasn't got a clue...besides scoring on his own net he didn't do one positive thing the whole match..

nfitz
08-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Man was Nane BRUTAL yesterday...a few games back it looked like he was gaining confidence but after yesterday's fiasco it looks like he hasn't got a clue...besides scoring on his own net he didn't do one positive thing the whole match..He did several negative things. Passes forward that were no where near any of our players. This was all before he scored on us. I was shocked he didn't come off in the second half ... though I didn't notice anywhere near the mistakes in the second half.

v00d00daddy
08-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I think some people are going a bit overboard here.

This game easily could have turned out like the Cruz Azul game. (or vice versa)

If TFC score early on one of their several chances the game probably turns out differently.

Instead, TFC fell victim to a beautiful strike.

Then Attakora whiffs on a clearance and it bounces off Nane and into the net.

All is not lost yet. With a little bit of luck TFC would have had a better result.

v00d00daddy
08-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd agree with this. Angel scored a nice free kick in yr1. Blanco scored a cracker in the All-Star game but Marquez's goal yesterday has to be the best ever scored at the stadium.

It was definitely beautiful. Right up there for me with this one as best goal I've seen at BMO

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9o3t3LtxWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9o3t3LtxWM

ilikemusic
08-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Big loss, but I dont think it is hugely indicative of where the team is at. Toronto had some great chances to start, but two 'once a year' type plays happened in the span of 10 minutes, and their fate was sealed. If a team as talented as New York catches those kinds of breaks, you're pretty well screwed. Marquez's goal was a wonderstrike the kind MLS only sees a handful of times each season and I cant recall the last time Toronto conceded such an awful OG as Nane's. Those things happen. DeRo's strike back was the best goal of the night that was a result of hard work and precision as opposed to being the result of sheer brilliance or incompetence. Once Attakora decided to test his ridiculous "guy from Heroes/kid from X-Men Hypothesis" (Does proximity to Theirry Henry give you his hand ball abilities? The results of the test were negative) we were finished. Robbo's goal was just a part of the usual pile on that happens after a game is that far gone. It made for a great sight regardless. Like I said in the game thread when he scored, poor guy looked like had just run over a dog.

ag futbol
08-22-2010, 05:06 PM
It was definitely beautiful. Right up there for me with this one as best goal I've seen at BMO

logan pause had a nice one a while back too. But his was as much the wind as skill.

rafa marquez, you know he's capable of some crazy stuff every once in a while.

Gwando
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
As GM my first order of business is signing Neymar from Santos. Impossible? Not so. The Chelsea deal fell through because he never really had a chance at first team football. I would ensure that he played every game he could.

Secondly, I would decrease ticket and beer prices. I would, unfortunately, have to increase chip butty prices to compensate, however, chip buttys will now come with higher quality bread and will always have sauce on the side.

After some high quality research (playing FIFA 10 manager mode) I would sign the following players: Michael Harrington, Cory Ashe, Will Johnson and Chris Pontius. I will offer them more money but also guarantee them free chip buttys 2.0 for a full year! This could not possibly fail to entice them, especially since the new chip buttys will have unparallelled flavour.

Now, getting rid of players needs to become a priority. I would offer Nick Garcia a contract extension, but as Toronto FC's official assistant to the assistant coach. Responsibilities include not playing and letting TFC win games. Joseph Nane woul be transferred to Portland Timbers with the promise that he's "not that bad". Any expendable players will be sold/traded. Nana and Cann, as well as Gargan, will be given pay raises, along with the chip bitty clause found in new signing contracts. This should be enough to hold on to them during the dreaded expansion draft.

About the drafts, well, do those two have a good deal coming. Portland will take Nane an Vancouver will take OBW. Come superdraft, I will ensure that our first round pick is traded so that we can reestablish friendly ties with other teams, something Mo ruined.

Sounds too good to be true? Well, it is true. With JimmyBaldX at the head of TFC, ruling the team with an Iron fist, we will become superior to all teams, including but not limited to...Shalke 04!!!

Vote JBX for GM!

PS: Also designated supporters section with groups in charge of tickets. NO MORE SCALPERS!

PPS: Free chip buttys to RPB!! (Not including applicable taxes!! Yay!!)
Free chip buttys! OMG JBX, if you throw in Irn-Bru, you've got my vote for sure!

Bars92
08-22-2010, 08:30 PM
yumm Irn-Bru..

Pachuco
08-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I think some people are going a bit overboard here.

This game easily could have turned out like the Cruz Azul game. (or vice versa)

If TFC score early on one of their several chances the game probably turns out differently.

Instead, TFC fell victim to a beautiful strike.

Then Attakora whiffs on a clearance and it bounces off Nane and into the net.

All is not lost yet. With a little bit of luck TFC would have had a better result.

I've never understood this argument and it's used all the time. I could say that if it isn't because of Superman Frei this game could easily have easily ended 7-1. We deserved to lose, we got spanked. It could've been worse or it could've been better, but none of that matters, the final score was 4-1.

Brooker
08-22-2010, 09:04 PM
The highlight for me was the stupid, oblivious NYRB cunt who came into 112 and stood towards the top. Thank god Security finally told him to go to 104. Judging by the look on his face I think it's pretty clear he had absolutely no idea he was walking into a lions den.

Was definitely one of the funniest thing I've seen at BMO.

Thank god I sold my tickets. Got money and had the luxury of turning that shit off. I think next year I am scalping my tickets on craigslist.

That attitude doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especially judging by his username. I've gotta say it's nice to see he'd rather sell them to randoms on Craigslist instead of his fellow RPB's.... but I'm sure it would be face value.

Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winning. Pathetic. :ack2:

James17930
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I've never understood this argument and it's used all the time. I could say that if it isn't because of Superman Frei this game could easily have easily ended 7-1. We deserved to lose, we got spanked. It could've been worse or it could've been better, but none of that matters, the final score was 4-1.

Yes, although what bothers me most is not necessarily that we lost, but that we gave up. After the third goal it was obvious they'd thrown in the towel, and that's when I absolutely hate watching them 'play.' We're not good at trying to come from behind, and I know NY are a good team, but still -- we can't get that flustered, especially at home, when things aren't going our way.

bgnewf
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
http://209.85.62.26/style_images/1/spacer.gif
TFC v NYRB Post Game Video Blog

In this video update I recap the loss to the Red Bulls on Saturday, I postulate on Julian De Guzman, I give props to the New Jersey Galacticos, I comment on Mista and speak of the class of Carl Robinson. I also tee up what might be a frustrating tie in Panama on Tuesday evening against Arabe Unido in the CONCACAF Champions League.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/tfc-v-nyrb-post-game-video-blog/

Comments are always welcome.

Heart of Stone
08-22-2010, 09:30 PM
A 'home fortress' is only great when you're able to get at least a point out of 40% - 50% of your road games ... if you can't get road points it really hurts, almost to the point of desperation, when you one day lose your undefeated fortress at home...

rocker
08-22-2010, 09:54 PM
A 'home fortress' is only great when you're able to get at least a point out of 40% - 50% of your road games .

did you word this correctly? Cuz at least a point out of 40-50-% of your road games ain't much. TFC currently has at least a point out of 44% of road games (4 pts, 9 road games).

i think you mean getting 40-50% of possible points on the road. TFC is at 14.8%.

Yohan
08-23-2010, 08:06 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/08/22/2082075/canales-corner-honoring-the-beautiful-game-and-the-fans

good article on Robbo's class act

v00d00daddy
08-24-2010, 02:23 PM

What is it that you don't understand?

I never said we didn't get spanked and I never said that we didn't deserve to lose.

I was just saying that I think it's wrong to look at this one result as a barometer of the quality of this team. It doesn't make sense to do so...just like it doesn't make sense to judge TFC based on one half against Cruz Azul.

If Labrocca's shot off the post had gone in the game would have been different....that's the luck I was talking about.

That's all

Phil
08-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Well, if Labroccas shot went in, if Nana didnt hand ball and if Nane did own goal, pretty sure the result would look very different.

NY had a solid goal, the rest were direct results that we gave them.

Gotta love this game sometimes, it really does make it fun in the gut wrenching pepto bismal way.