PDA

View Full Version : LOL, think the Jays are worried?

jloome
08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
....this google ad was on Ives' soccer blog today

MLS Scarves
Officially Licensed MLS scarves All 16 teams available
ruffneckwear.bigcartel.com

Toronto FC VIP Seating
Premium VIP Seating for TFC games Book your luxury suite today!
PrivateSuites.com

Blue Jays™ Baseball
Soccer is a beautiful game, but so is baseball. Get your tickets today
toronto.bluejays.mlb.com

ensco
08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
^There are a lot of soccer fans (in Toronto anyway) that are lapsed baseball fans.

So it's kind of smart in that way, but it does seem lame, too.

James Oliphant
08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
....this google ad was on Ives' soccer blog today

MLS Scarves
Officially Licensed MLS scarves All 16 teams available
ruffneckwear.bigcartel.com

Toronto FC VIP Seating
Premium VIP Seating for TFC games Book your luxury suite today!
PrivateSuites.com

Blue Jays™ Baseball
Soccer is a beautiful game, but so is baseball. Get your tickets today
toronto.bluejays.mlb.com

There were 20,000 more people at the last Jays home game than the last TFC home game. And I was one of them.

Oh, and that was on a Thursday at 12:07 pm, in case you want to use the "that TFC game was on a weeknight" excuse.

Just sayin'.

sulfur
08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
They've had that ad on rotation for a while now.

TFCtoMUFC
08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
There were 20,000 more people at the last Jays home game than the last TFC home game. And I was one of them.

Oh, and that was on a Thursday at 12:07 pm, in case you want to use the "that TFC game was on a weeknight" excuse.

Just sayin'.

As a Registered User does my attendance even count?

James Oliphant
08-20-2010, 04:41 PM
As a Registered User does my attendance even count?

Only at Jays games.

Toronto Ruffrider
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM

Just sayin'.

Yes, but Jays attendance is known to vary wildly. A crowd of 36,000 is normal when the opposing team is the Red Sox or Yankees, but the team's average attendance is only about half of that - around 18-19,000. The Jays play a lot of home games that draw at the other end of the spectrum - i.e. barely scraping in 10,000 fans.

T_Mizz
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Just sayin'.
1. that was against the Red Sox, one of the two teams that can draw 40,000 for a Jays game, the other being the Yankees.
2. It was Kids Day so that counters your 12:07 argument

Don't get me wrong I'm pro-jays but its not like this was your average Jays game, in fact far from it.

GBV
08-20-2010, 04:55 PM
unless they make an unexpected run to the american league title some year, i would wager the jays are gone/done within 15 years.

James Oliphant
08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, but Jays attendance is known to vary wildly. A crowd of 36,000 is normal when the opposing team is the Red Sox or Yankees, but the team's average attendance is only about half of that - around 18-19,000. The Jays play a lot of home games that draw at the other end of the spectrum - i.e. barely scraping in 10,000 fans.

The Jays also play 81 home games per year. That's 60 or so more than TFC (15 league, plus the other competitions). And with the Jays' average attendance is just over 20,000 this season, that works out to 1.2 million bums in seats so far. By the end of the year, they're expected to top around 1.5 million. That's about 7 times what TFC will pull in this year.

So no, I don't think the Jays are too worried about some sort of attendance drain at the hands of TFC. What they're worried about is building a contender and getting back the disillusioned baseball fans who are instead watching the Jays on television, to the tune of 10x the ratings TFC gets on average.

James Oliphant
08-20-2010, 04:59 PM
1. that was against the Red Sox, one of the two teams that can draw 40,000 for a Jays game, the other being the Yankees.
2. It was Kids Day so that counters your 12:07 argument

Don't get me wrong I'm pro-jays but its not like this was your average Jays game, in fact far from it.

You forgot:
3. Thursday's crowd was only 8,000 more than the night before (Wed., 7:07), which was still 12,000 more than the last TFC home game.

T_Mizz
08-20-2010, 05:17 PM
You forgot:
3. Thursday's crowd was only 8,000 more than the night before (Wed., 7:07), which was still 12,000 more than the last TFC home game.
I didn't forget that I just said that the kids day thing counters the fact it was a day game. and It was still against the red sox

Kevvv
08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=1743

rocker
08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
i was a huge baseball fan as a kid and teen. it was the sport i played... went to so many games at a sold-out skydome.

now i can't watch it. i don't care. it feels tedious. i want it to move faster. i don't like all the interruptions.

Rudi
08-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Those ads have been around for months, and have nothing to do with TFC.

There was another big soccer event this summer that that Jays ad was in reference to.

Roogsy
08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Jays should market as much as they can and I wish them all the best.

But whoever's idea it was to market it that way should be fired.

Blowing Bubbles
08-20-2010, 06:03 PM
why do we have to be such snobs about everything? Jays have definitely fallen on hard times the last few years but that doesn't mean we have to do a circle jerk over the greatness that is TFC.

AL-MO
08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Agreed BB.

Blizzard
08-20-2010, 07:10 PM
The Jays also play 81 home games per year. That's 60 or so more than TFC (15 league, plus the other competitions). And with the Jays' average attendance is just over 20,000 this season, that works out to 1.2 million bums in seats so far. By the end of the year, they're expected to top around 1.5 million. That's about 7 times what TFC will pull in this year.

So no, I don't think the Jays are too worried about some sort of attendance drain at the hands of TFC. What they're worried about is building a contender and getting back the disillusioned baseball fans who are instead watching the Jays on television, to the tune of 10x the ratings TFC gets on average.

I concur with James on this. I'm amazed that anybody can afford to buy seasons tickets for baseball considering it is 81 dates per year. You have to build your entire life around that.

The Jays have a decent team. Unfortunately, they're in the best division in baseball and while Tampa Rays have found the secret to building a winner with little cash, they also have Boston and New York and their virtually unlimited payroll to compete with.

... and yes, TFC would do just about anything to get the average Blue Jays TV numbers.

tfcleeds
08-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I concur with James on this. I'm amazed that anybody can afford to buy seasons tickets for baseball considering it is 81 dates per year. You have to build your entire life around that.

The Jays have a decent team. Unfortunately, they're in the best division in baseball and while Tampa Rays have found the secret to building a winner with little cash, they also have Boston and New York and their virtually unlimited payroll to compete with.

... and yes, TFC would do just about anything to get the average Blue Jays TV numbers.

I seem to recall the Jays offering a promotion not too long ago, where it basically cost you a buck for a home game, because they were so hard up for seasons ticket holders (Thank goodness for Alex Anthopoulos, I guess, as that should now change in the not too distant future).

As for the note about Tampa Bay, that will be over and done with once all their young stars are eligible for free agency. And thank goodness for that too.

mclaren
08-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I would rather have my eyes ripped out of my sockets while listening to a loop of Justin Biebers' Greatest Hits than go to a baseball game.

JonO
08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
why do we have to be such snobs about everything? Jays have definitely fallen on hard times the last few years but that doesn't mean we have to do a circle jerk over the greatness that is TFC.
I don't see it as a knock on the Jays - just this particular advertising campaign (which is weak). Admittedly, though, there is a lot of snobbery with regard to other sports (especially the other football) that I just don't get...

Blizzard
08-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't see it as a knock on the Jays - just this particular advertising campaign (which is weak). Admittedly, though, there is a lot of snobbery with regard to other sports (especially the other football) that I just don't get...

At this moment, I am happily ensconced in front of my tv watching the Argos vs TiCats.

I may not go to many games anymore but I still like watching the CFL and the Argos in particular and when it's vs the Cats, it's a no brainer that I'll be watching.

You're right. Some people in this town seem to think that you can only support one team in this city.

prizby
08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
some how, i think this has been posted b4

Roogsy
08-20-2010, 08:11 PM

There are snobs in every sport about every other sport. It's a stupidity that exists everwhere. But I agree with you JonO, this isn't about baseball, it's about that particular decision on how to market it.

That would be like saying "The World Cup is like the World Series for Soccer". :lol: YIKES!

Mikey
08-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Just sayin'.

That was the day I saw an endless stream of Sox jerseys and hats going past my windows!!

Bars92
08-20-2010, 11:40 PM
At this moment, I am happily ensconced in front of my tv watching the Argos vs TiCats.

I may not go to many games anymore but I still like watching the CFL and the Argos in particular and when it's vs the Cats, it's a no brainer that I'll be watching.

You're right. Some people in this town seem to think that you can only support one team in this city.

Just the Leafs and TFC, the only ones that matter.

jloome
08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I've just devolved into a one sport guy, I guess. I'm not knocking people loving baseball, it just seemed like a desperately sad way to try and attract people in a slow season.

SilverSamurai
08-21-2010, 04:28 PM
I seem to recall the Jays offering a promotion not too long ago, where it basically cost you a buck for a home game, because they were so hard up for seasons ticket holders (Thank goodness for Alex Anthopoulos, I guess, as that should now change in the not too distant future).

As for the note about Tampa Bay, that will be over and done with once all their young stars are eligible for free agency. And thank goodness for that too.
Too bad the TM fee cost more than the ticket.

In all honesty, that's what keeps me away. I refuse to pay the fee a stupid "fee" that serves no purpose.
Although I MIGHT make an exception at some point... lol

Roogsy
08-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I pray every day for an option other than Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster is legalized scalping and it's disgusting. I use it only when I absolutely have to.

SoccMan
08-21-2010, 06:18 PM
The reason I don't follow baseball, and it's just me, you can follow whatever sport you want, it's a free country thank god for that, the reason is simple like someone else mentioned there are way too many games for my liking. I don't have the time and patience to follow a team play so many, many games it's as simple as that, and a baseball game takes for ever to finish on the average over 3 hours. Therefore, not only do they play all these games , an incredible amount, but just one of these games can take forever to finish. I just don't have that kind of time to invest, life is too short as it is sorry.

Carts
08-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I pray every day for an option other than Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster is legalized scalping and it's disgusting. I use it only when I absolutely have to.

Which is unfortunately often in North America...

Ticketmaster rapes us all...

Sad but true...

Carts...

GuelphStorm2007
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
I do not think the Jays are worried but some of there fans I know are starting to talk trash about Soccer more so than ever.

Macksam
08-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Just sayin'.
If I see that their opponents are either the Red Sox or the Yankees, you need to smack yourself due to the self ownage.

*Checks tsn.com* And there it is. Smack yourself.

They'll get those numbers in due time. The future demographics are in TFC's favour. The Jays will slowly fizzle away along with their fan base.

James Oliphant
08-22-2010, 12:04 AM
If I see that their opponents are either the Red Sox or the Yankees, you need to smack yourself due to the self ownage.

*Checks tsn.com* And there it is. Smack yourself.

I'll pass, thanks. The point stands....the Jays drew 36,000 to that game. It was a 6-5 win for the Jays, and having been in attendance myself, I can attest to the fact that the noise from Jays fans was far greater than that of any Red Sox poseurs in attendance when they scored their runs.

And judging by recent attendance figures (in terms of actual bums in seats, not tickets purchased which is what's announced over the PA and printed on press releases), I'd say TFC needs to start worrying...

Also, ownage is not a word.

Rampage
08-22-2010, 12:59 AM

I recall a few years ago they had a skit at the TFC game. I forget how it went, I just remember the guy in the Joe Carter Blue Jays jersey was being booed by a large portion of the audience, because of his jersey. Booing another franchise from the same city...in a different sport? Only in T.O.

GuelphStorm2007
08-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I do believe here in T.O. we are going to see the usual 25000 to 35000 attend Jays games, 20000 to 25000 attend Argos games while TFC will probably get any were between 20000 to 25000. attendance. As far as the Summer Sports go the Jays are the most popular end of story. But at the same Time privatley I would not mind seeing TFC cut into the Jays market share just to annoy some of Loud mouth still living in the 90s Blue Jays fans I know who constantly rip on Soccer while at the same time do not know a thing about the game or even Baseball for that matter.

menefreghista
08-22-2010, 08:55 AM

The Jays actually don't use ticketmaster. MLB has its own ticketing company that all of its teams use.

Sure, there are still 'service charges' but they are a lot more reasonable than the garbage from ticketmaster.

Macksam
08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I'll pass, thanks. The point stands....the Jays drew 36,000 to that game. It was a 6-5 win for the Jays, and having been in attendance myself, I can attest to the fact that the noise from Jays fans was far greater than that of any Red Sox poseurs in attendance when they scored their runs.

And judging by recent attendance figures (in terms of actual bums in seats, not tickets purchased which is what's announced over the PA and printed on press releases), I'd say TFC needs to start worrying...

No, the Jays are the ones who are worrying with their retarded "Watching the Jays live is great" commericals and what not. Also, TFC's paid attendance is always over 20,000 for the most part. I would like to see what the Jays' paid attendance is, probably only 60% of the actual numbers I bet.

I do believe here in T.O. we are going to see the usual 25000 to 35000 attend Jays games, 20000 to 25000 attend Argos games while TFC will probably get any were between 20000 to 25000. attendance. As far as the Summer Sports go the Jays are the most popular end of story. But at the same Time privatley I would not mind seeing TFC cut into the Jays market share just to annoy some of Loud mouth still living in the 90s Blue Jays fans I know who constantly rip on Soccer while at the same time do not know a thing about the game or even Baseball for that matter.
TFC will never cut into the Jays' current market per say. However, they will attract the largest portion of the younger generation which is the future.

SilverSamurai
08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
The Jays actually don't use ticketmaster. MLB has its own ticketing company that all of its teams use.

Sure, there are still 'service charges' but they are a lot more reasonable than the garbage from ticketmaster.
Really?
I did not know this.
I'll have to look into it...

I wouldn't mind going to a game, but when the "convenience fee" is more than the ticket, I'm like why bother?

TFCtoMUFC
08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Really?
I did not know this.
I'll have to look into it...

I wouldn't mind going to a game, but when the "convenience fee" is more than the ticket, I'm like why bother?

Scalpers outside of the Jays games sell tickets DIRT cheap. I go down on weeknights with friends and we sit in 60 dollar seats for 20 bucks.

james
08-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Thats a stupid argument you can say the same about Blue Jay games, are the numbers anounced really how many fans are at the game??? in fact that goes for every team in Toronto, i often see empty seats at even Leaf games on TV yet they are always sold out!!

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Thats a stupid argument you can say the same about Blue Jay games, are the numbers anounced really how many fans are at the game??? in fact that goes for every team in Toronto, i often see empty seats at even Leaf games on TV yet they are always sold out!!

The difference is that the Rogers Centre holds roughly 50,000 people, and the Jays play roughly 80 home games (often in the middle of the week) - as opposed to a 20,000 seat stadium for a team that plays 15 home games, almost all of which are on weekends.

And yes, the Jays numbers are accurate. Part of the reason Jays average attendance numbers have dropped in the past couple of years, is that they are no longer handing out copious amounts of comped tickets, or selling tickets for ridiculously low promotional prices. Beeston has specifically said he doesn't support artificially inflating attendance numbers, like his predecessor.

- Scott

james
08-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Toronto Blue Jays sell more tickets then any other sport team in Toronto...Leafs only get something like 850,000 fans a year, but that doesnt mean Blue Jays are bigger then Leafs because everyone knows the Leafs are the most supported team but only fit 19,300 a game and play what 41 games or something. NFL Football teams only get 600,00-700,000 fans a year, because they play 8 home games. Its hard to compare different sports with different size stadiums and different number of games and even more so much different price ranges.

Overal tho i think it comes down to money and TV rattings. And overall Blue Jays are much bigger money and are watched more then TFC on TV thats forsure. However i dont think baesbell is bigger then soccer. TFC is in still quite a new league with low skill quality, cheap stadiums (some still playing in NFL and in Amature sport stadiums) and low budget TV. There are many soccer fans in Toronto who dont pay attention to TFC because they prefer to still just watch the better English Premiership, Italian Seria A, Champions League, euro and world cups exc.. If you were to put all those leagues and tournamnets TV rattings together it would be higher then Blue Jays and baseball in general i think. Also soccer is the most played sport in Canada. I think TFC would dream to have Blue Jays money and rattings on TV. However the interrest in Soccer in Toronto is huge, if only there was a League in Canada say as good as the English Premiership then a Toronto Soccer team i believe would blow passed the Blue Jays.But dont exspect that any time soon.

Waggy
08-22-2010, 04:16 PM

And I guarantee you they're all concerned. Particularly the Jays, Argos and TFC. Gate recipt isn't where the profits are made, its merch and assorted food and drink*. Gate may pay overhead, but it alone won't get a team far in the black. Thats why the Jays sell tickets for $12 bucks or less. The theory is get them in the stadium and make the money off a few hot dogs, beers and maybe a program or flag (I dunno if you've been to a jays game, but a sandwhich combo can cost more than your ticket to the game). Then the hope is the customer enjoyed it enough to come back.

*(if the team gets the revenue from food vendors. I'm almost positive the Argos get free rent in exchange for Rogers getting the vending revenue, and I'm not sure but I seem to remember TFC getting a large % but not the whole thing, splitting with the city. Anyone remember?)

Whoop
08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I thought Jays attendance was actually based turnstile counts.

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Toronto Blue Jays sell more tickets then any other sport team in Toronto...Leafs only get something like 850,000 fans a year, but that doesnt mean Blue Jays are bigger then Leafs because everyone knows the Leafs are the most supported team but only fit 19,300 a game and play what 41 games or something. NFL Football teams only get 600,00-700,000 fans a year, because they play 8 home games. Its hard to compare different sports with different size stadiums and different number of games and even more so much different price ranges.

I think you're missing his point about attendance.

- Scott

james
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
The difference is that the Rogers Centre holds roughly 50,000 people, and the Jays play roughly 80 home games (often in the middle of the week) - as opposed to a 20,000 seat stadium for a team that plays 15 home games, almost all of which are on weekends.

And yes, the Jays numbers are accurate. Part of the reason Jays average attendance numbers have dropped in the past couple of years, is that they are no longer handing out copious amounts of comped tickets, or selling tickets are ridiculously low promotional prices. Beeston has specifically said he doesn't support artificially inflating attendance numbers, like his predecessor.

- Scott

ya but many people say one thing and do another. I bleieve many teams in many sports lie in that category.

Not sure if its true...but ive also herd TFC only announce the attendence of scanned tickets?? maybe i dont know, who knows they may also lie to make numbers higher then they are, i really dont know.

Waggy
08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
ya but many people say one thing and do another. I bleieve many teams in many sports lie in that category.

Not sure if its true...but ive also herd TFC only announce the attendence of scanned tickets?? maybe i dont know, who knows they may also lie to make numbers higher then they are, i really dont know.

They all lie, it doesn't mean they should believe their own lies. It just means they should be MORE concerned, since they are trying to artificially increase the gap between demand and supply. Just because every team does it doesn't mean TFC shouldn't be concerned. It's about the trend, and based on the percentage TFCs attendance is trending downward. Therefore they should be trying to A) get a better product and B) make it more affordable. But those both cost money, so they'll try cheaper solutions first

Edit- It should be pointed out that the Jays and Argos have been trying and failing at getting the mix of price and quality for years, but both seem to be getting it now. The Argos had a nice balance until the abortion of a football team they fielded for the past 2 seasons, they have since improved the team (specifically the management part of it) and the pricing. And the Jays had the right pricing, but teams without much promise for years. Now it seems like they'll benefit from an upswing of having a young talented fun team to watch. TFC could learn something from both.

Shakes McQueen
08-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Yes, many teams do. However, Beeston has specifically been outspoken about wanting accurate attendance figures. It wouldn't make any sense to be outspoken about something like that, and then be a hypocrite. What does he have to gain?

And I believe Vic is correct - they only count people through the gate at this point, as opposed to purchased tickets, which I suspect is what both TFC and the Maple Leafs count (I've seen many TFC games declared sellouts, where there have been hundreds of suspiciously empty seats).

- Scott

Whoop
08-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, MLSE counts tickets sold while the Jays attendance figures are based on turnstile counts.

james
08-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes, many teams do. However, Beeston has specifically been outspoken about wanting accurate attendance figures. It wouldn't make any sense to be outspoken about something like that, and then be a hypocrite. What does he have to gain?

And I believe Vic is correct - they only count people through the gate at this point, as opposed to purchased tickets, which I suspect is what both TFC and the Maple Leafs count (I've seen many TFC games declared sellouts, where there have been hundreds of suspiciously empty seats).

- Scott

i agree there always has been empty seats. But 1 reason is the beer garden, hundreds of fans buy seats and then stand in the beer garden. And another being scalpers buying lots and then not selling them all on game day. And 3rdly 80% of the fans are season ticket holders and although they paid for season tickets they often cant make it to every single game so some games just dont show up, i know plenty of people who have done that.

I think TFC have sold out game up untill this year (why else would they have put more seats in the North End then?) but this year has been getting tougher to sell.

James Oliphant
08-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, MLSE counts tickets sold while the Jays attendance figures are based on turnstile counts.

Pretty sure that's a MLB policy, announcing bums in seats rather than paid attendance.

dupont
08-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Is that true? I thought I remembered the final Canadian Championship game having a pretty low announced attendance compared to how many I would have thought were sold considering it was included in the season ticket package.

Heart of Stone
08-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Does Rogers want out of the Jays, Rogers Centre (ie. SkyDome)?

menefreghista
08-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Does Rogers want out of the Jays, Rogers Centre (ie. SkyDome)?

I don't think so. I think Rogers loves having the Jays as a television property.

supersaint
08-22-2010, 09:57 PM
There have been one or two entertaining games this season but overall Preki has us playing very boring football. It is hard enough to retain football enthusiasts interest, but there is no way they are bringing in new supporters.
Next season I think we will see a lot more empty seats at the game unless we play with a bit more flair and creativity, and maybe have a coach with a bit of personality who can chat up the media

Huyton
08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm really torn between wanting the team to do well, and hoping that lots of people don't renew their seasons tickets. That way, maybe my seatmates and I can finally get into the hallowed South Stand.