PDA

View Full Version : The Away Goal & Phantom Foul?

TFC_Central
08-18-2010, 05:17 PM
In every replay of the game I've seen NONE show the fould leading up to their goal. Im wondering if anyone has that vid or was recording the game on pvr.

Shakes McQueen
08-18-2010, 07:16 PM
In every replay of the game I've seen NONE show the fould leading up to their goal. Im wondering if anyone has that vid or was recording the game on pvr.

I've watched it a few times on my PVR recording. There wasn't a foul - Attakora stepped next to a CA player to battle for a ball, and the CA player just fell to the ground. It was ridiculous looking, and I couldn't believe the ref would be hoodwinked into giving a freekick, in such a dangerous spot on the pitch, based on it.

When he blew the whistle, at first I thought the guy might even be getting a yellow card for simulation. I was livid when he got the FK out of it, and completely incensed when it took away TFC's hard earned clean sheet.

- Scott

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
That ref was disgraceful.

Blizzard
08-18-2010, 07:37 PM
That ref was disgraceful.

Ya, he truly was.

West220Side
08-18-2010, 08:24 PM
His name was Courtney, i'm surprised there were no "Take off your skirt" jokes.

jloome
08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Looked to me like Attakora stepped on the back of the guy's heel. I can see that call. Not saying it wasn't a dive, just saying I can see the call.

James17930
08-18-2010, 09:25 PM
But it's not really an 'away' goal -- remember, this is the group stage; there's no aggregate. It's just points and goal difference.

And of course points are way more important than goal difference. If RSL and AU draw tonight we'll still be atop the group.

pepher
08-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Seemed the ref was really trying hard to get CA a goal... a lot more free kick calls just outside our box in the last 20-25 minutes...

AL-MO
08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
But it's not really an 'away' goal -- remember, this is the group stage; there's no aggregate. It's just points and goal difference.

And of course points are way more important than goal difference. If RSL and AU draw tonight we'll still be atop the group.

Agreed. Not sure why people are making such a big deal out of this.

__wowza
08-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Agreed. Not sure why people are making such a big deal out of this.

:rolleyes: it's all fun and games until we're eliminated on goal differential.

McBrace
08-19-2010, 10:04 AM
The worst part of that goal was our wall didn't jump to knock it away. I believe it was just over the wall and could have been blocked. Conway didn't have a chance. He could see it until the last minute, and off the inside of the post..

James17930
08-19-2010, 10:05 AM
The worst part of that goal was our wall didn't jump to knock it away. I believe it was just over the wall and could have been blocked. Conway didn't have a chance. He could see it until the last minute, and off the inside of the post..

Oh God. You remember when our wall always jumped and the ball went under them and in? Remember the massive shit storm that went on after that?

McBrace
08-19-2010, 10:11 AM
How often does that happen?? I would say the majority of the time the kicker tries to bend it over.

Not trying to start a big debate, simply something I noticed...

Ageroo
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Perfectly placed kick....no chance to save that.......

Blizzard
08-19-2010, 10:51 AM
:rolleyes: it's all fun and games until we're eliminated on goal differential.

It's highly unlikely but if somehow we were tied with CA for second place in the group, the head to head goal difference could indeed be important.

Juanito
08-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I hope it doesn't come to bite us in the ass. Club Deportivo Árabe Unido, you're next bitch!! Stomp on the throat, rip them in two, pillage and plunder!!

Pachuco
08-19-2010, 01:22 PM

It's really hit or miss. Free kick takers now a days expect the wall to jump and therefore drive the ball in low and hard on occasion. From that close it's very difficult to get the ball up and down and therefore I think your chances of stopping the ball are better if you don't jump. You also eliminate the chance of the wall splitting up which has already happened to us. It was simply a perfectly executed free kick.

eustacchio
08-19-2010, 01:25 PM
^ I agree with that. I was always taught that a wall is a wall, and walls don't jump.

Auzzy
08-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh God. You remember when our wall always jumped and the ball went under them and in? Remember the massive shit storm that went on after that?

I was wondering, what if a defending player lies down on his side behind the wall, shortly before the kick is taken? Leaving the wall free to jump? Is this legal & is it ever done?

Blizzard
08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I was wondering, what if a defending player lies down on his side behind the wall, shortly before the kick is taken? Leaving the wall free to jump? Is this legal & is it ever done?

Funny. That crossed my mind as well.