PDA

View Full Version : South End's Greatest Ever Night?

Hitcho
08-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Massive match, massive win, massive atmosphere.

From my seats in 118, I think last night was the south end's finest moment to date. From the SW corner, the bunker usually seems to be rocking, but the step up in level across the south stand as a whole last night was impressive. Some specific points to back this up:

- never seen the south end so full, corner to corner, not a single empty seat in sight ANYWHERE and pretty sure there were more people than seats in many sections, not just the front of 112;

- the way the tickets were sold for the CL game seemed to distill the fan base and replace tourists with noisy (or noisier) fans, at least on a general basis;

- the first two points combined resulted in a much better platform for the south end to jump from than I have seen before;

- looking east from 118, there were quite a few times when a chant took off and you could see/hear the ENTIRE south stand hammering it out in unison, for the most part only simple chants like TFC (clap clap clap) but you have to walk before you can run;

- specific to 118, the noise levels and unification was by far the best I have ever heard in the SW corner; and

- for the first ever (that I am aware of), there were a number of times last night when a chant took off and it just drowned TRN in a tsunami of organized chanting and clapping, to the point you literally could not hear them at all above the din, and I have to admit I never thought we'd see that happen in the SW corner, we just blew them away like a fart in a hurricane.

I was going to label this thread as "SW Corner's Greatest Ever Night" but it looked to me as though the whole south stand was benefiting from the above points, so would be very interested to hear if people in other parts of the south end agree or not.

Can't wait for the next CL group game on the assumption that the ticket holders should be more or less the same as last night! :D

I think we got a glimpse last night of what a unified supporter end could really manage. It's definitely something to aim for, but will need some serious seat relocation to make it a regular event.

WOWZA - the song sheets were kick ass dude, I passed them out round the whole of 118 and big chunks of 117 and i think they made a big difference, people were really pleased to get them. Kudos.

:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

Parkdale
08-18-2010, 09:16 AM
good to hear the song sheets made some difference.

ACSertL
08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
It was fairly clear and definitely loud from my seats in 226, with the exception of the Dichio song. That one was still fairly jumbled but it was a great effort on the whole last night.

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Are you guys trying to make me cry on purpose?

I think this is all one big conspiracy against Roogsy.

Whoop
08-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Roogs... it's just the nature of the CCL matches.

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Te odio Victor.

Whoop
08-18-2010, 09:34 AM
LOL...

I meant that it appears that the fan that the CCL matches attract is different than the run of the mill MLS match.

Maybe the FO can learn something from this.

And shouldn't you be on some beach in southern France? LOL

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I got sunburnt yesterday...LOL! No beach for me today.

Menelaos
08-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Hell yeah!!!

Section 117
08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Completely agree Hitcho. My only issue was that section 114/115 sometimes were carrying th chants from 112 but we in 117/118 were doing our own thing. I know we have to walk before we run but overall quite the night.

For the first time in along time I left the game with little to no voice left

TFCDP
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
imagine how much better it would have been last night under a roof.

Greg
08-18-2010, 10:27 AM
From my seats in 111 the south end looked amazing.

I wonder if there is any video just panning across the sea of people in the south end during a chant. It would look unbelievable.

Every single person stood the whole game. Every single seat was taken. There was definitely still issues with east and west going on with different chants but the noise level was insane.

Really enjoying these CCL games in 111 much more than my season seats in 106 :(

__wowza
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
i just printed em up, big thanks goes out to all of the boys who helped me choose the chants and hand em out. we handed out a little over 4,000 and i'm looking to double that number for the september game!

Hitcho
08-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Another interesting point for TFC FO to take note of - with a couple of exceptions (such as NEE) the further north you went, the thinner the crowds got. It really looked like a whole bunch of people that are regulars in more expensive seats got the chance to shift down to the south end because of the way the CCL tickets were sold. So, instead of tourists in the south end, we had regular TFC fans who normally might not make very much noise, but joined in more because everyone around them seemed to be doing so.

Last night was NOT a case of a bunch of random people turning up for the first time, packing the south end and suddenly becoming singing TFC fans. To me, it was an indication of what the ground would be like if relocation was allowed to happen properly and the scalpers were weeded out (or at least the worst of them).

To exemplify the point - the north stand was basically empty. If that's a gauge of current demand for TFC tickets outside of SSH, then MLSE have got some big issues to overcome in terms of keeping ticket demand up.

EDIT - wait, I'm hijacking my own thread - haha! This is really about how good the south end was last night, and whether people in other sections of the south stand agree. Agreed re comments on the east and west corners being on different chants at times, but there were also times when everyone was on the same beat, and that was impressive. And frankly, I am just thrilled that the SW corner was CREATING its own chants last night and making them fly loud and proud. Seminal night of support.

DavydMT
08-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Roogsy go back to the beach and extend your life

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/7/22/1248285610541/Women-sunbathing-in-St-Tr-001.jpg

TFC Cityboy
08-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Another interesting point for TFC FO to take note of - with a couple of exceptions (such as NEE) the further north you went, the thinner the crowds got. It really looked like a whole bunch of people that are regulars in more expensive seats got the chance to shift down to the south end because of the way the CCL tickets were sold. So, instead of tourists in the south end, we had regular TFC fans who normally might not make very much noise, but joined in more because everyone around them seemed to be doing so.

Last night was NOT a case of a bunch of random people turning up for the first time, packing the south end and suddenly becoming singing TFC fans. To me, it was an indication of what the ground would be like if relocation was allowed to happen properly and the scalpers were weeded out (or at least the worst of them).

abso-fuckin-lutely!

Darlofletch
08-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Personally from my 227 viewpoint I thought the Motagua game was better.

and the anthem went horribly wrong.

definitey a good night though, much better than a regular mls game.

Super
08-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Fantastic atmosphere. I love night games. Better football - and better atmosphere. Yes, obviously the fact that it was the CCL helped, but not having to deal with the heat, humidity, and the sun was a factor as well.

ochos
08-18-2010, 11:23 AM
@ Darlofletch - agreed, although there was more action in the SW corner this game.

It's irritating when we increase the tempo of the chants, when every other game it's at normal speed. This really throws the different sections off.

Not to marginalize one person, but when the 113 capo gets excited he tends to speed things up, and again this can really throw things out of sync. The big drum has to dictate the speed of the chants for things to work properly.

Oblio2
08-18-2010, 11:24 AM
I was in 127 and it was bouncing....very loud!

Commie Red
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
It was a brilliant night on and off the field. From my perspective in 111 the entire south end looked and sounded fantastic -- and the crowd around me was twice as loud as usual. My son, in 115, said it was a bit quiet around him but he could hear the chants coming in from both sides as opposed to just the one. Last night's game and the Motagua game have been the best games of the year -- and I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with the competition. Unfortunately, MLSE won't learn a thing from from what we collectively perceive as a positive as all they care about is bums in seats at the highest price possible. But the fact that there were 5,000 less people making twice as much noise as usual was magic.

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 12:52 PM

QFFT!

Paul B...with all my heart and soul I hope you read this and let it reach your heart and mind!

If you want an atmosphere that is UNTOUCHABLE in North America, get'r done.

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I was in 127 and it was bouncing....very loud!

I also find that 127 does a better job of singing IN TUNE! :lol: We'll get there.

DichioTFC
08-18-2010, 01:16 PM
I was in 227 and the South End / South East corner (110 / 111) was in-fucking-credible. I took my girlfriend's sister and cousin to their first TFC game last night and I was proud of the job you guys did. Turned them into repeat customers :D

127 did well also, helped drown out the CA supporters in my section.

Heart of Stone
08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
127 did well also, helped drown out the CA supporters in my section.

There were a few CA supporters in 127 ... one guy was wearing the green Mexican national team jersey for the first half... by the end of the game he was joining in on the TFC chants and had removed his shirt...

Yeoman
08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
sounded great
i blame having flush on the capo stand
we need more suit flush :D
and not one complaint about the drum, i'm touched guys lol

Red Rat
08-18-2010, 03:55 PM
sounded great
i blame having flush on the capo stand
we need more suit flush :D
and not one complaint about the drum, i'm touched guys lol

Wait!!! you suck!!

hahahaaaa

rr
:drum:

habstfc
08-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I also thought the Motagua game atmosphere was better as well, but still a good night.

peterboroughtfcfan
08-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Roogsy,

We missed you in 118 yesterday. Jeff and I were having a blast down there and it helped to have steph (and her gimpy thumb) joining in. I agree, best night in 118 ever. Lets keep it going against that fraud Henry this weekend.

Are you guys trying to make me cry on purpose?

I think this is all one big conspiracy against Roogsy.

rviewmirror
08-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Was in my usual seats in 119 for the game with my dad. we both left without a voice. great time.

I thought it was great when I didn't se TRN to start the game. could very clearly hear the SE corner and the sections around us joined in at times. TRN showed up late, and left early. In between, the section was drowned out at times by then as usual, but never had I seen then being drowned out by fans like they were.

Great time!

Hitcho
08-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Was in my usual seats in 119 for the game with my dad. we both left without a voice. great time.

I thought it was great when I didn't se TRN to start the game. could very clearly hear the SE corner and the sections around us joined in at times. TRN showed up late, and left early. In between, the section was drowned out at times by then as usual, but never had I seen then being drowned out by fans like they were.

Great time!

TRN always seem to turn up 20 minutes into the game but they don't always leave early. On Tuesday they took a while to get going even after they arrived. This might have been because they could sense the bigger atmosphere and the SE corner was already rocking? I have no problem with them filling the gaps, it's just the constant overpowering that bothers me. But yeah, super sweet to hear them utterly drowned out in mid-flow a few times on Tuesday night. There was a definite feeling of unstoppable tidal wave of organized support from the fans when that happened - amazing!

Definitely the best I've ever seen 118 produce, and same goes for the whole SE corner. The noise was coming from everywhere, not just a few strongholds.

Section 117
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
completelty agreed. It felt like first year all over again....

Ih how I miss the crowd from those days

gmacpheetfc
08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
some dust in 113 refused to do the bounce and security guard edgar davids was not impressed with my reaction. Don't know why these ppl sit in the section if they're too cool for school.

ecantona7
08-19-2010, 08:51 AM
The South End was rocking cause there are a lot of supporters that are stuck in the North Stand and surroundings areas and can't really sing. I mean, how the hell am I support to sing when everyone around me is just sitting quietly and when you start a chant, all they do is look at you like "what the hell are you doing?".

For Champions League, TFC sends the people on the waiting list an email and gives us first dabs on tickets before general sale and as expected we take the south end tickets. Personally, I had 7 tickets in 112 on tuesday and took 5 first timers and they all left there having a blast. One of them actually lost his voice :)

For saturday we're stuck back in sec 223 and it's gonna be such a shit atmosphere, I just wish TFC could just shift those of that want to sing into the south end :(

Wull
08-19-2010, 10:56 AM
The South End was rocking cause there are a lot of supporters that are stuck in the North Stand and surroundings areas and can't really sing. I mean, how the hell am I support to sing when everyone around me is just sitting quietly and when you start a chant, all they do is look at you like "what the hell are you doing?".

For Champions League, TFC sends the people on the waiting list an email and gives us first dabs on tickets before general sale and as expected we take the south end tickets. Personally, I had 7 tickets in 112 on tuesday and took 5 first timers and they all left there having a blast. One of them actually lost his voice :)

For saturday we're stuck back in sec 223 and it's gonna be such a shit atmosphere, I just wish TFC could just shift those of that want to sing into the south end :(

oddly enough I just mentioned that very wish to Mr Beirne on Twitter earlier!

razor787
08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I wish people would start buying those seats in the north stand. If that stand gets sold out constantly, as well as the rest of the other seats, they would hopefully add a second level to the south end. How badass would that be? The people that do want to sing would be able to move there, opening up other seats for the soccer moms.

Juanito
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I haven't had that much fun at a TFC match since year one and two. It was THAT kind of atmosphere! People were happy to be there. People were singing, people looked like they were having fun. The on-pitch product was excellent, and it made for good times.

I didn't even have a drop of hooch, I had soda, and I was screaming like a drunken fool!!

I hope we can emulate this more often.

McBrace
08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I haven't had that much fun at a TFC match since year one and two. It was THAT kind of atmosphere! People were happy to be there. People were singing, people looked like they were having fun. The on-pitch product was excellent, and it made for good times.

I didn't even have a drop of hooch, I had soda, and I was screaming like a drunken fool!!

I hope we can emulate this more often.

Time to bring that to 116...Oh wait we already have that...We need more Singing..

Juanito
08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I am a 116er, but I was at 112 for that match though, I had me some tix.

I think I will stop drinking hooch and bring my refillable soda cup to 116. My wife can bring a sign saying, "I'm with cheap-o!"

McBrace
08-19-2010, 12:25 PM
I am a 116er, but I was at 112 for that match though, I had me some tix.

I think I will stop drinking hooch and bring my refillable soda cup to 116. My wife can bring a sign saying, "I'm with cheap-o!"

I know you are... We just need to something about that delayed participation, or for that matter participation period...

I'm sure my wife would rather I was into the Soda!!!

Juanito
08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
We need to be a little more organized in 116. We have to start a club. 116ers unite.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/US_116.svg/750px-US_116.svg.png

116 4 LIFE!!

dupont
08-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I brought my friend from Newcastle to this game for his first TFC experience. He seemed very impressed.
He mentioned that Canadians seem to be much louder and crazier than the fans in England.

Hitcho
08-19-2010, 03:03 PM
I brought my friend from Newcastle to this game for his first TFC experience. He seemed very impressed.
He mentioned that Canadians seem to be much louder and crazier than the fans in England.

Considering what St James Park can produce on a good day, that's quite a statement!

It definitely seems to be the case that the CCL ticketing process allowed for a very effective relocation/distillation of fans within BMO Field. The stupid thing is, we could probably have that kind of support at most games if the FO could find a way to effectively shift the fans around within the stadium. That's probably not an easy task to undertake, but there are at least two viable options:

1 - actively and aggressively weed out scalpers by canceling the tickets of those people found selling for exorbitant prices on ebay etc or consistently having tickets for sale outside the ground through touts (this would be easy to track if they sent a few undercover people to scout the situation out each week, using different people each week of course). Then use the annual seat relocation event to let people shift around with all the empty seats now available for relocation which have been taken off the scalpers.

2 - make the north stand a SG controlled zone from 2011 onwards. There are lots of ways to do this, but the simplest is probably to require sign off from a recognised SG before you are allowed to buy a season ticket in the north stand. If the stand isn't full from approved season tickets each year, then sell the remaining tickets off as walk ups. Repeat each year until it is full (which probably won't take more than a season or two). Issues as to which SG gets first choice etc are easy to solve - just use the existing inception dates and waiting list priority to decide order of purchas and seat choice - if you notionally designate one bit RPB and one bit U-Sec etc, then people will end up more or less where they want o be, and there's no in-fighting between the SG's.

I suspect option 1 is unlikely to ever happen. It's often said that MLSE uses scalpers to drive up demand artificially so they can keep prices high. Well consider this - if we had that kind of atmosphere EVERY GAME, then there would be no need to create artificial demand, people would be desperate to get to games and be a part of it. There may also be legal issues about canceling tickets, and it would no doubt be bad fort business in MSLE's other sports teams and things like concert tickets at the ACC as they'd piss off the touts a treat! :D

But option 2 is just sitting there waiting to happen. I agree that maybe not everyone would be thrilled about moving. But look at it this way - we're a SG, our purpose in that regard is to generate Tuesday's atmosphere (or better) at every game. We're unlikely to get anywhere near that if things stay as they are. We could easily create a massive SG wall of noise if we used the north stand, which would be even bigger if 127 remains a SG zone as well (and avoids worries about NEE getting into turf wars with RPB and U-Sec to boot).

Paul B - get this done. And Boris and Rudi too for that matter. The SG's have taken off like no-one could have predicted. Let's give them a proper home.

DavydMT
08-19-2010, 03:11 PM

And we are only getting ready to take our first step, just give us some time. :flare::drum::scarf:

Yeoman
08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
some dust in 113 refused to do the bounce and security guard edgar davids was not impressed with my reaction. Don't know why these ppl sit in the section if they're too cool for school.

if i could sit and drum, i'd do it all day.
speaking of which
when did that row red thunder is in, start feeling like it's going to collapse on me?

phonzo
08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
if i could sit and drum, i'd do it all day.
speaking of which
when did that row red thunder is in, start feeling like it's going to collapse on me?

two games ago..me and shags figured out it's a little loose.