PDA

View Full Version : White Caps sign some serious talent....

Stryker
08-18-2010, 02:35 AM
while Mo accomplishes nothing.
Why is this tit still in charge?

http://www.mls-rumors.net/10542/2010/08/incoming-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-sign-midfielder-davide-chiumiento-and-defender-alain-rochat-from-swiss-super-league/

denime
08-18-2010, 05:43 AM
Posting news from MLSR and starting it with bitching against MO?:facepalm:

Yohan
08-18-2010, 05:52 AM
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature08171002.aspx

that alain rochat guy has some good resume. we probably could use him

prizby
08-18-2010, 06:07 AM
alain rochat is another one of those players like Daniel Fernandes, Asmir Begovic, Jonathan de Guzman, Owen Hargraves

Fort York Redcoat
08-18-2010, 07:17 AM
alain rochat is another one of those players like Daniel Fernandes, Asmir Begovic, Jonathan de Guzman, Owen Hargraves

Damn. Glad he's not on my team. Won't play for Canada but the high-falootin Whitecaps-it's a different story.:rolleyes:

deschamp86
08-18-2010, 07:30 AM

He is nothing like any of them. He moved from Canada when he was 3 months old and lived in Switzerland his whole life. He is Swiss. He is more comparable to Marcel De Jong, just good enough to play for his first choice team.

Shway
08-18-2010, 08:21 AM
and not good enough to receive another cap

rocker
08-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure I'd sign a player 8 months in advance of the season he'll play in, unless he's an absolute knock out star. Rochat is not that.

A lot can happen in the market for players in that time.

Stryker
08-18-2010, 11:27 AM

They're signed. Fact. So I don't see the relevance in your MLSR sarcasim.
But just to make you happy here are the signings in the Vancouver Sun.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+building+roster+with+Swiss+international s/3409695/story.html

Secondly has Mo done a great job finding talent? Has he even done an adequate job? How about actually signing the ones he does persue?

So exactly what's your problem? One big win makes Mo manager of the year an immune to criticism does it?

rocker
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Secondly has Mo done a great job finding talent? ?

The issue I have with your argument is that it's not clear if Rochat will be good enough for MLS.
So you're jumping the gun there.

Every time a player gets signed to an MLS team not called Toronto FC, someone always does this:

"Look at the talent X MLS team has signed... why doesn't Mo sign players like this?"

But nobody ever follows up on those players. Many times I've seen those players suck in MLS or be average players.

Beach_Red
08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
They're signed. Fact. So I don't see the relevence in your MLSR sarcasim.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+building+roster+with+Swiss+international s/3409695/story.html

Secondly has Mo done a great job finding talent? Has he even done an adequate job? How about actually signing the ones he does persue?

So exactly what's your problem? One big win makes Mo manager of the year an immune to criticism does it?

We'll see how it plays out, but Vancouver does seem to have a much more experienced, bigger FO than TFC.

There was a joke in an article about the Maple Leafs in the paper the other day, how Brian Burke needed to get the biggest Timbits box possible so all the Assistant GMs could get one. Sounds a little like the Whitecaps. Maybe the office is too crowded.

TFC is filling out the office - and getting more experienced - but it still seems fair to critisize, even afer a big win.

Stryker
08-18-2010, 11:35 AM
The issue I have with your argument is that it's not clear if Rochat will be good enough for MLS.
So you're jumping the gun there.

Every time a player gets signed to an MLS team not called Toronto FC, someone always does this:

"Look at the talent X MLS team has signed... why doesn't Mo sign players like this?"

But nobody ever follows up on those players. Many times I've seen those players suck in MLS or be average players.

Fair enough. But would you not agree that these players seemingly have a much better pedigree then the majority of mo signings the past 3 seasons?

maninb
08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
The first guy seems to have some pedigree, the Canuck-Swiss guy seems like just a filler, certainly no better than Labrocca or Peterson...

rocker
08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Fair enough. But would you not agree that these players seemingly have a much better pedigree then the majority of mo signings the past 3 seasons?

Nope. Why do I say that?

1) Because that's a false comparison. You can't compare two signings to Mojo's whole career. Mojo has had some good signings and some absolute trash signings. Vancouver is just starting.

2) I would argue Carl Robinson and Jim Brennan have as good a pedigree as these two guys. So I'm comparing 2 players to 2 players. Dichio is probably comparable as well. JDG is better than these guys. Mista is better than these guys (on pedigree).

3) I'll judge these two guys on how they play in MLS, not on pedigree. DC United signed some players with great pedigrees and in the end screwed up their whole team.

denime
08-18-2010, 11:49 AM
They're signed. Fact. So I don't see the relevance in your MLSR sarcasim.

Just what I thought ,this thread is about bitching against Mo,not about signings and that why I find the way you started this thread is very pathetic.

jloome
08-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I see validity in both sides here. Rocker's entirely correct in that it's a prejudgment; at the same time, I see nothing in Mo's history to suggest he would ever have the networking skill or contacts to find guys who played in the Swiss league.

Vancouver's front office is stacked with experience. In fact, in that vein, it dwarfs ours.

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2010, 11:59 AM
With all due respect Stryker, I've agreed with many of your posts in the past but why would you start a thread like this mere hours after the most significant victory in TFC history? Vancouver seems to be doing an admirable job filling out their front office. Mo has a well documented inconsistent track record around these parts in filling out our squad. We are all well aware of Mo's history with TFC.

However, at the moment we should be soaking up last night's epic victory for all it's worth. Save the bitching about Mo for another day, please. Moreover, for what it's worth, Mo assembled the nucleus of our club and hired Preki. Therefore, I believe he does in fact deserve some credit for any success the club has had this season...

Brooker
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM

This. +111111111111

Vancouver does seem to have a much more experienced, bigger FO than TFC.

to be fair they are, aren't they?

Oldtimer
08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Vancouver's front office is stacked with experience. In fact, in that vein, it dwarfs ours.

Some of them date from the original old NASL Whitecaps, which were around from 1974-1984. So there might be a more experience when you club has been around, in various incarnations, for 36 years, instead of 4.

Beach_Red
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Some of them date from the original old NASL Whitecaps, which were around from 1974-1984. So there might be a more experience when you club has been around, in various incarnations, for 36 years, instead of 4.

But even in the last four years look at how much Vancouver have added to their front office. It's really the biggest complaint about TFC, how they hired one pretty much completely inexperienced guy to run the team with pretty much no staff. Now they're filling it out more and the front office is doing better but I hate being treated like a sucker. They had the money - and were in the sports business - to have done much better from the very start.

West220Side
08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Impressive!
A decent left back, and a proven midfielder. I wouldn't mind them being on our team. Two strong Swiss players.

magicfro
08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Whitecaps' FO cares about producing a winning product while TFC's FO cares about maximizing revenue....I'm going to hate watching VanCity beating the crap of us in the near future...well, I guess we can always beat up on Montreal....

backbeat
08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Whitecaps' FO cares about producing a winning product while TFC's FO cares about maximizing revenue....I'm going to hate watching VanCity beating the crap of us in the near future...well, I guess we can always beat up on Montreal....

geez, we sure find ways to be negative!! they're not even in the league yet and they're going to beat the crap out of us!! and this the day after we beat the crap out of CA....:facepalm:

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
geez, we sure find ways to be negative!! they're not even in the league yet and they're going to beat the crap out of us!! and this the day after we beat the crap out of CA....:facepalm:

Thank you. I just couldn't be bothered to respond to such a ridiculous post...

magicfro
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Ridic? Meh...one win doesn't make a franchise. We have struggled through 3 years of poor performances and without a playoff appearance. We're still in a playoff battle again this season and if I'm not wrong...it's year 4. I'm just saying that VanCity has put footy ppl in place from the top to the bottom of their organization and are coming in running, while we got Marlies' cast offs that have been learning on the job...

I guess only time will tell....

Brooker
08-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Ridic? Meh...one win doesn't make a franchise. We have struggled through 3 years of poor performances and without a playoff appearance. We're still in a playoff battle again this season and if I'm not wrong...it's year 4. I'm just saying that VanCity has put footy ppl in place from the top to the bottom of their organization and are coming in running, while we got Marlies' cast offs that have been learning on the job...

I guess only time will tell....

you only come on this board to bitch about our FO or jerk off over how awesome Seattle or Vancouvers FO's are.

TFC wins Canada Cup. No post. TFC advances past Motagua. No post. TFC dominates Cruz Azul at home. Nothing. Vancouver signs 2 randoms from Switzerland? Here he comes to bitch about Mo Johnston.

rocker
08-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm just saying that VanCity has put footy ppl in place from the top to the bottom of their organization and are coming in running, while we got Marlies' cast offs that have been learning on the job...

Vancouver has had 4 years to learn from Toronto, San Jose, Seattle, and Philadelphia. MLS in 2006 (when MLSE got the franchise) was a very different environment. Vancouver wasn't even contemplating MLS in 2006.

I don't remember ANYONE in 2006 (yes, I was on the boards) complaining about the size of TFC's front office. It's only in hindsight, given the great success of MLS that TFC helped spark, along with Becksy, that these comments even come up now.

Looking in hindsight, it was certainly a problem to have Mojo as both coach and GM and have a skeleton staff.

But they were hedging their bets back then. MLS wasn't a big deal (I didn't even know it existed) in 2006 and they had to be cautious. Even the predictions by the city of Toronto only expected around 14000 attendance per game. People have MUCH higher expectations about MLS teams now than back then.

CretanBull
08-19-2010, 02:22 PM
The first guy seems to have some pedigree, the Canuck-Swiss guy seems like just a filler, certainly no better than Labrocca or Peterson...

Maybe, but filling out your roster with guys like that is what makes an MLS team successfull.

TFCRegina
08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
you only come on this board to bitch about our FO or jerk off over how awesome Seattle or Vancouvers FO's are.

TFC wins Canada Cup. No post. TFC advances past Motagua. No post. TFC dominates Cruz Azul at home. Nothing. Vancouver signs 2 randoms from Switzerland? Here he comes to bitch about Mo Johnston.

Easy now. We wouldn't want anyone to be positive about a Toronto Sports team. It might be infectious and cause for optimism about TFC.

Can't have that now...positive attitudes might lead to people feeling good about the team and possibly themselves.

This is the No Happiness Zone.

Brooker
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
my mistake. http://a.imageshack.us/img62/5928/giveupy.gif

ManUtd4ever
08-19-2010, 02:42 PM
^^ LOL, I love that smilie, it comes in handy around here sometimes!

TFC/Everton
08-19-2010, 02:51 PM

I really needed a laugh today. Great comment. However, the Whitecaps do not want to start at the bottom of the table as we did. They want to be more like the Sounders.

Pachuco
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Vancouver has had 4 years to learn from Toronto, San Jose, Seattle, and Philadelphia. MLS in 2006 (when MLSE got the franchise) was a very different environment. Vancouver wasn't even contemplating MLS in 2006.

I don't remember ANYONE in 2006 (yes, I was on the boards) complaining about the size of TFC's front office. It's only in hindsight, given the great success of MLS that TFC helped spark, along with Becksy, that these comments even come up now.

Looking in hindsight, it was certainly a problem to have Mojo as both coach and GM and have a skeleton staff.

But they were hedging their bets back then. MLS wasn't a big deal (I didn't even know it existed) in 2006 and they had to be cautious. Even the predictions by the city of Toronto only expected around 14000 attendance per game. People have MUCH higher expectations about MLS teams now than back then.

So you admit there was a problem and that there was bad judgement. Difference is you apologize for MLSE's mistakes, I as a paying customer like to hold them accountable.

People on the boards not recognizing the problem is a heck of alot different from a billion dollar corporation not recognizing the problem. The people on these boards don't get paid to recognize problems.

ag futbol
08-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Is Mo Johnston absolute trash? yes, but we don't need to talk about that in every thread.

Let's keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Rochat and Davide are both still good enough to play in Switzerland from what i gather (and they will be until the end of the year). The latter has huge pedigree but is quite the head case apparently.

They are off to a good start in running their team, but no bold predictions on my end. Still a lot of work to do, but they don't seem to have problems bringing in guys with pedigree.

magicfro
08-20-2010, 09:36 AM
MLSE get a free ride in this city and I also want to hold them accountable as a season ticket holder. The Leafs have been a joke for decades and the morons in this city still defend them, buy their crap and go to games. The Raptors, another joke. I don't want to see the same happen with TFC....but it appears that we are going down that same road...we have been a bad to medicore team for 3 years...and marginally improved this season...

The only reason why I mention Van and Seattle...I believe that they have it right and are on the right track to stabilize the future of their respective franchises...and yes, both clubs have had years to prepare...but hiring the right ppl is paramount when starting a franchise...

Also, I don't need to come on to say how awesome TFC is after a win or etc...there is no point...hundreds already do it for me...and more important, winning should be expected from a professional sports franchise.

Phil
08-20-2010, 09:49 AM
^^^ Both teams in Seattle and Vancouver have existed before in the USL, I would expect them to have a pretty good vision for how to run a proper soccer/football club. MLSE in my opinion kind of lucked in on this and were probably unprepared for the parity in the leauge and the commitment of the fans.

That being said, I am looking to MLSE to beef itself up and get serious about the commitment to the sport and the city. I do think they have made efforts but the consistancy is what everyone wants.

Boris
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
MLSE get a free ride in this city and I also want to hold them accountable as a season ticket holder. The Leafs have been a joke for decades and the morons in this city still defend them, buy their crap and go to games. The Raptors, another joke. I don't want to see the same happen with TFC....but it appears that we are going down that same road...we have been a bad to medicore team for 3 years...and marginally improved this season...

The only reason why I mention Van and Seattle...I believe that they have it right and are on the right track to stabilize the future of their respective franchises...and yes, both clubs have had years to prepare...but hiring the right ppl is paramount when starting a franchise...

Also, I don't need to come on to say how awesome TFC is after a win or etc...there is no point...hundreds already do it for me...and more important, winning should be expected from a professional sports franchise.

lolz....
im not saying mlse is perfect cause theyre not. But get your facts straight before you spew info like you just did.

also, many newer teams model themselves or take parts of what Toronto did....

JUST SAYING...