PDA

View Full Version : TFC's greatest match/victory ever?

CanadianSwede
08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I am so pumped that we won! We beat one of the best in the region and we did it with style. The set up for Mista's goal was with panache. In your opinion is this TFC's greatest match/victory to date? I would bargain to say yes because it's our arrival on the regional scene and to beat the finalist for the two previous editions means a hell of a lot! What's your thoughts on this?

Cheers!

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I am so pumped that we won! We beat one of the best in the region and we did it with style. The set up for Mista's goal was with panache. In your opinion is this TFC's greatest match/victory to date? I would bargain to say yes because it's our arrival on the regional scene and to beat the finalist for the two previous editions means a hell of a lot! What's your thoughts on this?

Cheers!

Hey Jon, we missed you in Ottawa...all two of us. Wished I was at the game. I was so pumped. The goal for Saric looked even better. Watching that goal it said to me that hard work is far more important than skill.

Our players worked hard and every bounce went their way...it was perfect.

I hope St. Vincent is going well!

Whoop
08-17-2010, 10:46 PM
I think tonight's match was the greatest victory in TFC history.

Just in terms of opponent and the fact that it's Champions League.

crozack
08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
We have a long way to go in establishing ourselves as one of the "elite" in the region but does this ever make for a good fucking start!!!!

greatwhitenorf
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Certainly one of the most encouraging wins I've seen. And I've seen 'em all. We need to play like this in every league game.

Whoop
08-17-2010, 11:04 PM
^^
This is what I was thinking watching the first half.

Why can't they play like that all the time?

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Absolutey, 100% biggest win in TFC history!

TFC USA
08-17-2010, 11:07 PM
In terms of opponent quality this is our best victory.

In terms of outright domination 4-0 against Dallas is the leader.

The greatest victory ever will come when we beat the Crew.

prizby
08-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Absolutey, 100% biggest win in TFC history!

can't go discounting montreal now

CanadianSwede
08-17-2010, 11:08 PM
^^Good point. Could be rising for the occasion. I am glad they are taking it seriously though. Shepp Messing said on the broadcast tonight that he felt that TFC has the ability to win the whole tournament! I would like to believe this!

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM

Agreed. Had this finished 2-0...absolutely biggest win...but I have too many good memories of Montreal or is it too few good memories of Montreal :D

Whoop
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Having been in Montreal for the 6-1 win and being there for tonight's match, I have to go with tonight's match.

West220Side
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
1) Miracle in Montreal
2) Tonight - and hopefully our advancing in the CCL.
3) When we enter the playoffs this year :rolleyes:

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 11:21 PM

Doesn't even come close in my opinion. Beating a USL C team that handed us the game because they were out of the competition doesn't come anywhere near beating one of the best Mexican teams in a game that still meant something to them.

Jeffro
08-17-2010, 11:27 PM

Cheers!

Most definitely, greatest victory ever.

werewolf
08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Beating Cruz Azul in a competitive match, that has to be the biggest, no small feat for any club.

Though winning in Montreal was fairly important given our time as a club, no matter how much some people like to ignorantly discount it.

eustacchio
08-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Biggest/greatest win or not, I'm just glad I was at this game. (I was happy when they won in Montreal, but then I was sad that I wasn't there.)

Okay, maybe I also think it's the biggest win.

ilikemusic
08-18-2010, 12:03 AM
By a technical standpoint, every progressive victory in this competition will be our 'greatest ever victory'. The team is basically 'climbing the mountain' for the first time, so every step is a new personal best.

I would definitely put this among the top 3 with the Motagua clincher and the Montreal Miracle. There are arguments for each game being the 'best ever', but I think there is a good case for this one being the best. For one, it was against a traditional CONCACAF powerhouse, being in the CONCACAF group stage means it is the biggest win by a technical standpoint, but perhaps most importantly, it was at home.

eustacchio
08-18-2010, 12:06 AM
^ well said.

TFCtoMUFC
08-18-2010, 12:12 AM
By a technical standpoint, every progressive victory in this competition will be our 'greatest ever victory'. The team is basically 'climbing the mountain' for the first time, so every step is a new personal best.

I would definitely put this among the top 3 with the Motagua clincher and the Montreal Miracle. There are arguments for each game being the 'best ever', but I think there is a good case for this one being the best. For one, it was against a traditional CONCACAF powerhouse, being in the CONCACAF group stage means it is the biggest win by a technical standpoint, but perhaps most importantly, it was at home.

This. The Impact suck, and had no vested interest in the Montreal Miracle game. They didn't really care that they got the tar beat out of them.

This game was against a very strong opponent that had a vested interest in the game and it was in front of the BMO faithful.

Lennon
08-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Eh, Miracle in Montreal is still the best game for me ..

Scoring 5 goals against your biggest rival on the road in 60 minutes to win your first trophy is bigger then beating a mix of Cruz Azul starters/reserves in a group stage game ...

We haven't won anything here yet.

Stryker
08-18-2010, 12:53 AM
I'd say it's the biggest win due to:

A) quality of opponent
B) quality of our play
C) playing on the international stage
D) having played without many of our injured starters

Carts
08-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I think tonight's match was the greatest victory in TFC history.

Just in terms of opponent and the fact that it's Champions League.

Put the two together and it is our BIGGEST VICTORY EVER...

If we beat a huge club like Real Madrid in a friendly, who cares really...

Winning tonight, HUGE...

3pts nobody in the CL that none of the predictors thought we'd get...

Carts...

Heart of Stone
08-18-2010, 01:19 AM
I think us beating a giant like Cruz Azul tonight would easily eclipse the KC Wiz beating ManU in a friendly a few weeks back because the result of this game meant something...

Don Julio
08-18-2010, 02:04 AM
From a personal satisfaction/pride angle, I'd have to say:

1) First win ever, May 12, 2007
2) TFC 2-1 Cruz Azul
3) Motagua Away
4) Miracle in Montreal

Until we win a proper trophy, nothing will beat the first win. The emotion in the stadium that day still resonates from the moment I see the bleachers from the GO tunnel.

Today was a close second - getting the points when it seemed impossible - outclassing the best in our quartersphere. Azul parents looking in disgust as their kids are clapping and cheering with TFC support.

The game in Motagua showed the most character I've seen from this club. Once they conceded they never looked back.

And the miracle in Montreal was incredible, but really will belong as a comedic footnote in the history of the club. Ultimately it accomplished nothing.

twistedchinaman
08-18-2010, 02:30 AM
There are others:

- MLS Cup Final
- CCL Championship Rounds
- MLS Playoffs
- Beating a Mexican team AWAY
- Beating Columbus and Vancouver

The wins we've had so far are great; but there are far greater victories still to come. Let's hope we can see a lot more this year. So far tonight is a great victory, but by no means this is the GREATEST victory -- we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it was.

twistedchinaman
08-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Put the two together and it is our BIGGEST VICTORY EVER...

If we beat a huge club like Real Madrid in a friendly, who cares really...

Winning tonight, HUGE...

3pts nobody in the CL that none of the predictors thought we'd get...

Carts...

BIGGEST but not the GREATEST.

Redcoe15
08-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Why must work force me to miss all this joy? :(

denime
08-18-2010, 05:57 AM
Today was a close second - getting the points when it seemed impossible - outclassing the best in our quartersphere. Azul parents looking in disgust as their kids are clapping and cheering with TFC support.
Lovely :D

and yes best 1st half TFC played ever,and by far biggest TFC victory by far.
Opponent and competition make this game to be biggest victory,for now.I hope there are more big victories to come.

Shakes McQueen
08-18-2010, 06:36 AM
This has been our biggest victory so far in my opinion, but I still think the Miracle in Montreal has to be the greatest, just because of how improbable it was, and how hopeless the supporters were going into the game.

- Scott

KdotOdot
08-18-2010, 06:37 AM
I just want to thank Predrag Radosavljevic for all of the hard work it took to train these monkeys to string 9 passes together. Brilliant stuff!!

Usinov MVP!!! The man was a fucking wall!

GeorgeBest
08-18-2010, 06:44 AM
I would rate this as the greatest match in TFC history.

The difference between this and the other games mentioned is the quality of opponent. Cruz Azul is the best team to face TFC in competition.

This is the game that TFC fans have been waiting for. It is the first TFC game to resemble high quality international club football. The game was exciting, featured well-taken goals by both teams, good saves by keepers and some fairly free flowing football especially in the first half. And it was played at home on real grass! Excellent!

Cashcleaner
08-18-2010, 06:49 AM
This has been our biggest victory so far in my opinion, but I still think the Miracle in Montreal has to be the greatest, just because of how improbable it was, and how hopeless the supporters were going into the game.

- Scott

I think I'm of the same mind here. 6-1 is nothing to sneeze at when you figure we were playing away. Regardless of what squad they fielded that night, there was no way the Impact were just going to roll over and let us pound them last year.

Last night's win was epic for the fact that it was against a very capable opponent and we were in a first-ever situation (ie: 2nd round of Champions League). Hard to say which tops which, but I am hoping for more great wins in the future.

Stouffville_RPB
08-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Without question our greatest victory to date. This was Cruz Azul!!!!!!

How many people were expecting the home record to fall yesterday? I think this can do wonders for the boys. Anytime they go into a bit of a rough patch for the rest of the season they can look back on last night and find what they need to get themselves out of it.

Fort York Redcoat
08-18-2010, 06:54 AM
There have been more spectacular wins but none meant so much and meant we're this far.

Great start lads!

Menelaos
08-18-2010, 07:01 AM
No doubt in my mind.

GREATEST WIN

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 07:16 AM
This topic is subjective. So I won't agree or disagree with anyone.

To me, the most important victory ever was the Miracle in Montreal. Without that, you don't get into the CCL and it was one of those moments where TFC stood up to the challenge, regardless of the rationalizations about the team Montreal sent out.

stugautz
08-18-2010, 08:22 AM
This win means nothing if we lose the next 5 CCL games. Just putting things in perspective. Yes it's a big win against a quality opponent and should be celebrated, but there are still bigger things ahead.

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2010, 08:35 AM
I would still rate the Miracle in Montreal as TFC's most exciting victory in franchise history as it defied the odds and clinched TFC's first trophy. However, last night is definitely the most significant victory in franchise history and will one day be remembered as the landmark performance that put TFC on the regional football map.

It has been a pleasure to witness each inaugral achievement of this club and watch history written before our very eyes. Dichio's first goal, TFC's first road victory, the Miracle in Montreal, the victory over Motagua, and last night's epic perfromance will be etched in our memories for the rest of our lives. I hope there is more to come this season...

Hitcho
08-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Haha - I just like the fact that we can even have this discussion and already have a few big wins and victories to debate over. Good times. :scarf: