PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game: Cruz Azul vs. Toronto FC

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2010, 08:57 PM
That first half was one of the finest halves of football I've seen Toronto FC play. The second half was predictably more defensive from Toronto, and more attacking from Cruz Azul, but our defense looked strong throughout. They deserved a clean sheet.

The Cruz Azul goal was a load of shit, handed to them by a bogus foul call on Attakora (seriously, go back and watch it). And don't even get me started on the guy that choked DeRo for getting in his way in stoppage time, only to have both players get yellow cards.

Aside from that, a good game for us. We beat Cruz Azul!

- Scott

pedro
08-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

dclaro
WOOOOO i dont think many predicted a win, but we did it

James17930
Can we call that a shock result, even though we were at home? Hmm . . .

TFC/Everton
08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Any night that TFC wins is a good night in my books.

ArmenJBX
WE WON!? :O

Good job TFC! :D

sampace
Great result. Would of been gravy if we could of held out for the shut out or a third goal, but a win is a great way to start.

T_Mizz
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I would've preferred the clean sheet but a win's a win and that goal was really no one's fault just a really good strike, the foul was even a weak one so I don't fault Nana (was it).

manic.street.preacher
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
wow. just wow. obviously Cruz thought it would be a cake walk and i'm soooo glad we proved em wrong. easily the best i've ever seen TFC play and totally worth staying up til 4am to watch.

Luanda
08-17-2010, 09:02 PM
wonderful!

Vince Whirlwind
08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Feel like we're all grown up now...!

Amazing effort by the boys! Way to go!

Red Rat
08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Shakes, I agree great first half by TFC. I love to see this game continue to play this way and maybe we can have more wins at home and away.
Mista is looking better... Keep it up

rr

Nerepis
08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Well done!

ginkster88
http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Standings/0,,12856,00.html

:D

TheKing7
I can't get enough of this love/hate relationship.
I love our boys tonight.
Endless pressure everywhere on the pitch, we truly deserved 3pts.

Detroit_TFC
What a first half. Beautiful. I knew the second half would be tricky.

Our guys showed some heart tonight, that's great to see.

James17930
08-17-2010, 09:05 PM
FYI . . .

Two teams made it out of the group stage last year with less than 10 points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2009%E2%80%9310#Group_st age

So it is possible to advance without getting a result on the road, providing one team dominates the group. Of course that also means getting the results at home -- if we can keep doing that and pick up at least one point on the road we're through no problem.

mclaren
08-17-2010, 09:06 PM
The fourth official was Silviu Petrescu (Canada) - would've been interesting if the ref got injured lol

TFC/Everton
08-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Agree! That was the best Ive seen our boys pressure another club, and they kept it up all night long. They played like a top table team tonight.

jloome
08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Mexicans came out flat, paid for it. Won't be like that down there. And Arabe Unido will fight a lot harder in the first half.

But our guys earned it. Their upfield pressure was really good, consistent.

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Shakes, I agree great first half by TFC. I love to see this game continue to play this way and maybe we can have more wins at home and away.
Mista is looking better... Keep it up

rr

Mista's left foot was magic tonight. I can't wait to see what he can do as he becomes more and more fit.

But I also can't say enough about pretty much everyone out there tonight. How about Cann and Attakora? Those guys were cool customers all night long.

- Scott

ginkster88
08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
We have all of our road matches before we're back home. Even two points would set us up nicely to bring it home at home in the fall.

London
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
best team we have ever beaten!!!

great first half, got it done in the second.

Red Rat
08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Mista's left foot was magic tonight. I can't wait to see what he can do as he becomes more and more fit.

But I also can't say enough about pretty much everyone out there tonight. How about Cann and Attakora? Those guys were cool customers all night long.

- Scott

let's not forget Usanov, played with his heart out tonight.

rr

TheKing7
08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Cruz Azul must've been seriously unprepared for this one...they thought we still had astroturf until they got here...

James17930
08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Anyone got the attendance number? Around 17k?

ArmenJBX
08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
And just to note, Martin Saric, good stuff today! You
are the argentine I think we actually got a good deal on!

Chubbs
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
What a great game played by TFC... The work rate of the whole team was commendable, I haven't seen our boys that hungry for a win in quite some time.... Yet again, it seems like we got the short end of the stick officiating-wise, but the true test of a great team is their ability to play through it and not loose their cool when it started getting ugly.

I have to admit, when I saw Conway in goal tonight I was worried, but he showed incredible poise and played a great game... The only ball that got by him was a world class strike, no keeper would have been able to make that save.... His punch in the 84th minute really saved this game, its amazing the depth we have at keeper, if only the rest of our positions were the same.

Defensively, CannNana was on top form again, really can't blame nana for that foul that potted the goal... Usanov played fantastically... Especially that header in the 3rd minute to keep the ball in play that lead to the Saric goal! Hscanovics played solidly as well, both defensively and setting up Mistas cracker at the end of the first half.

yet again, our midfield shines... DeGuz and Saric both held the ball up well, and were very agressive at closing down their men defensively, sticking to them like glue... You could see the hunger in DeRo to really win this game... Granted he made a few uncharacteristic plays nearing the end of the game that could have easily left the scoreline at 3 or even 4-1, but the man can only work so hard... you could tell he really gave it all tonight and boy did it ever pay off!

Up front, Mista was on point tonight, so many smart balls into space, and obviously his goal was a touch of brilliance... It seems like he's getting his form back quite quickly, and his first touch on the ball is smooth as can be. I'm really excited to see more of him in our Red, notice he kissed the badge (or was it the Canadian flag?) when he got subbed, you can see hes starting to enjoy being here, and really finding his role on the field.

Unfortunatly, I cant say the same for OBW... you could tell he was working quite hard, but he just makes too many mistakes with his positioning and seemed to be really slow on the field.. Too many times it seemed like he was in a great spot to set something up, only to be closed down by a chasing defender in an instant. That being said, without the depth of our strikers, there really was no other option tonight.

Overall this was one of the most impressive showings from TFC yet.. if this is what we can expect from them throughout the Group stage, we might be sitting alot prettier than most (myself included) expected.

Considering 75% of the board was expecting a loss tonight, I'm pretty sure we would have all been happy with a tie, so these three points are a delight!

Now lets take it to these suckers on the road!!

Luanda
08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
OBW really can not score. But he is quite good at pressing. The first goal was the result of OBW pressing hard.

Chubbs
08-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Didn't look very busy at all at BMO, seemed to be quite a few empty seats in the east end, and the north stands looked completly empty.

I would have pegged this game as a sellout for sure... what happened?

Canary Canuck
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
As happy as I am that we won I just can't forgive Preki for not starting Frei. Conway can play when Frei has two broken femurs, 5 broken ribs and a temperature exceeding 105....... Otherwise it's gotta be Frei in goal!

Fushida
08-17-2010, 09:33 PM
As happy as I am that we won I just can't forgive Preki for not starting Frei. Conway can play when Frei has two broken femurs, 5 broken ribs and a temperature exceeding 105....... Otherwise it's gotta be Frei in goal!

You're joking right..?

Canary Canuck
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
You're joking right..?

nothin' like a little sarcasm to get the point across. I just think Frei should start every meaningful game we play.

Stryker
08-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Funny thing I noticed tonight. Conway looked so calm making saves. Frei always has a look of massive relief after a save. Could be why he's never saved a penalty... he's scared shitless.

BayernTFC
08-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Mexicans came out flat, paid for it. Won't be like that down there. And Arabe Unido will fight a lot harder in the first half.

But our guys earned it. Their upfield pressure was really good, consistent.
Cruz Azul was indeed very sloppy tonight. Especially in the first half. The free kick goal by Christian Gimenez was well taken. Conway played well tonight but perhaps, on that play, Frei doesn't hesitate and gets a hand on it?

On the flip side, TFC was very well prepared. All starters seemed very hungry for the win and they played well as a unit. Tonight's TFC did not look like any other version of the team that I have seen before. The skill of Mista, Dero, Saric, JDG, Usanov and Hscanovics really showed. The whole team pressured Cruz Azul and denied them space. Saric's movement was very good and he was absolutely tenacious. The midfielders clogged the center of the field and forced Cruz Azul to play wide along the flanks most of the night. Our fullbacks Usanov and Hscanovics didn't let us down and gave Cruz Azul virtually nothing. Our fullbacks were also responsible for jump starting the offense. The first goal started from some great hussle by Usanov and a wonderful heading pass after not giving up on the ball. Hscanovics' run down the wing and assist on Mista's goal was a nice change of look for TFC. Mista looked sharp on the ball and showed his touch by providing some nice crisp passes. Defensively, Cann used his size to push around the smaller Mexican players and out muscle them in the air.

Cruz Azul looked like they underestimated TFC on this night and expected to come into Toronto and roll over us easily. Credit should be given where it is due. The coaching staff had TFC ready to go and the boys weren't intimidated in the least and performed well.

carefree_cfc
08-17-2010, 09:39 PM

rr

+1
poor marking on one cross near the end. other than that a great effort.

carefree_cfc
08-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Funny thing I noticed tonight. Conway looked so calm making saves. Frei always has a look of massive relief after a save. Could be why he's never saved a penalty... he's scared shitless.

That's unfair. The first thing you need to do to save a penalty is guess right...he's stuck at that stage it seems. Other than that he's been brilliant.

Stryker
08-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I was estatic with the efforts of Saric and Usanov. And to a lessor extent, Hscanovics too.

Stryker
08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
That's unfair. The first thing you need to do to save a penalty is guess right...he's stuck at that stage it seems. Other than that he's been brilliant.
Oh don't get me wrong Frei's a hell of a shot stopper.
I just think he's gotton something in his head with regards to penaltys.

BakaGaijin
08-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Very important win tonight. It makes Cruz Azul's next two games against Real Salt Lake and the Panamaniacs that much more critical for them. They will play those teams tough.

It also means that Cruz Azul's last two games, which are against those same teams, are probably going to be meaningful......so they won't end up fielding a bunch of second stringers.

I would like to finish first in this group, however, realistically I am hoping we finish at least second.

NewcastleFan
08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
It looked to me like Cruz Azul came into the match over confident. They didn't really seem to hit their stride until late in the first half

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Unbelievable fuxking game. I'm in my car. The wife is driving, baby is crying and I can't help but to get on this board and say I fucking believe. That performance goes down in the history books for TFC. Conway, hscanovic, jdg, usanov, labrocca and mista today was your coming out party. Let's not forget about preki. That was a coaching masterpiece today.

brad
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
It looked to me like Cruz Azul came into the match over confident. They didn't really seem to hit their stride until late in the first half

Torrado's introduction in the second half totally changed things. He was amazing. Very glad they didn't start him.

BayernTFC
08-17-2010, 10:01 PM

rr
Agreed. Usanov defended our right side well tonight. He closed down players quickly and denied them space. He made several good sliding tackles and he has good awareness in the box. Cruz Azul put some dangerous balls into the box a couple of times towards the end of the match where Usanov was there to step in front of the potential recipient to head the ball away. Usanov made a series of calm clearances in the defending third of the pitch and his hussle, that culminated in a nice heading pass to DeRo which kept the ball in play when Cruz Azul's defenders had given up on it, helped lead to the first Goal by Saric. I was impressed with several players tonight, but none more so than TFC's fullbacks. After receiving limited playing time recently, they showed up and performed dutifully when their team needed them most. This would have been a completely different match with the defending on the flanks that I saw against CD Motagua.

kodiakTFC
08-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Anyone else notice something about the attendance tonight. All the cheap seats were sold out. The corners and the supporters section were rammed, the middle (prawny) sections and the boxes were about empty.

v00d00daddy
08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Just got back. Great effort by the boys. Unfortunately...being a goalie...I called the Cruz goal. I knew he need more players in that wall. There's no shame in putting 5-6 guys in a wall...That one is a combo of a good strike and bad call by Conway.

Other than that....great effort all around....except maybe OBW. In a game where everybody was firing on all cylinders (especially in the first half) he looked out of place.

Good on Hscanovics, Saric and Usanov. They all stepped up tonight.

To all the Preki "negative football" critics.....

EAT IT!

Good job boys.

ps...supporters sounded great tonight. Well done guys and gals.

backbeat
08-17-2010, 10:11 PM
JDG was brilliant tonight but i loved Saric, he was a beast and really pissed their coach off - totally distracted him in the first half. he was constantly following Saric around on the sidelines and yapping at him. Preki was yelling at the Cruz coach and Dero went up to him at half time as they were walking off. just loved how he got under their skin tonight, beautiful stuff!! Cann and nana were great and MISTA's 1st - WHAT A NIGHT!!!:scarf: :flare: :drum: :canada:

Wagner
08-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I think it's time to end the OBW experiment...he's brutal.

Why does Preki insist on bring in players for junk time in important games.

Greg
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Anyone else notice something about the attendance tonight. All the cheap seats were sold out. The corners and the supporters section were rammed, the middle (prawny) sections and the boxes were about empty.

Perhaps that's a lesson for TFC. People are more than happy to spend $20-30. Not so happy when tickets climb to $60+ in those midfield sections.

I couldn't see a single empty seat in the south end today from my viewpoint in 111. 126 and 127 seemed to be packed as well.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
^ That's the pattern for most games, the empty seats are in the pricey section. I hope the FO rethinks some of their policies that are negatively effecting attendance.

The attendance number was 16,862, not too bad in the context of this competition.

Heart of Stone
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Perhaps that's a lesson for TFC. People are more than happy to spend $20-30. Not so happy when tickets climb to $60+ in those midfield sections.

Larry Tanabaum, Richard Pettie, Tom Anselmi, Beirne, etc., etc, were all sitting in the box adjacent to the NEE(127) ... hopefully they noticed what you mention above...

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Tongue in cheek: Saric, Mista, De Ro and Usanov are the best four signings in the history of TFC.

Not tongue in cheek: The club looked creative and great on the pitch tonight. Excellent effort and i was jumping up and down and shouting with the goals.

Greg
08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
^ That's the pattern for most games, the empty seats are in the pricey section. I hope the FO rethinks some of their policies that are negatively effecting attendance.

The attendance number was 16,862, not too bad in the context of this competition.

Almost 17k? That's not bad at all actually. Although it did look emptier than that. I was especially surprised that it seemed like there were more empty seats today than at Motagua's game. You'd think that after that game people would want to come back and word would get out about these tickets...

Oblio2
08-17-2010, 10:27 PM
That first half was the BEST I have ever seen TFC play and it was a wonderful sight to see...fluid, creative, attacking and forceful.....loved it.

Heart of Stone
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Did not like how before they scored on set-piece their guy throw the ball at the ref after the ref pointed to the spot where the ball should be .... and only got a yellow for it ... seemed like it should have been a red for that type of dirtball move... DIRTBALL!

Blizzard
08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Did not like how before they scored on set-piece their guy throw the ball at the ref after the ref pointed to the spot where the ball should be .... and only got a yellow for it ... seemed like it should have been a red for that type of dirtball move... DIRTBALL!

Ah, that's what happened. The Gol commentators didn't see that obviously and said it was for time-wasting ..... which didn't really make sense to me.

TFC_Central
08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
mista had fire in his eyes!

TFC_Central
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Ah, that's what happened. The Gol commentators didn't see that obviously and said it was for time-wasting ..... which didn't really make sense to me.

could you hear us BOOO the keeper in the 2nd half? did u see him yell at the ball boy.... well that ball boy is LEGEND

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Almost 17k? That's not bad at all actually. Although it did look emptier than that. I was especially surprised that it seemed like there were more empty seats today than at Motagua's game. You'd think that after that game people would want to come back and word would get out about these tickets...

Has to do with the fact that a lot of tickets were given out for free for Motagua.

TFC probably didn't give out a lot of freebies for this game. They only need 14k to break even...

Whoop
08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
That first half was one of the finest halves of football I've seen Toronto FC play.

This....

Stryker
08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
could you hear us BOOO the keeper in the 2nd half? did u see him yell at the ball boy.... well that ball boy is LEGEND
Ahhhh thank you. I was wondering why the crowd was booing Cruz's keeper. Which btw you could hear loudly on the tele.

rocker
08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
So to those who know Cruz Azul well, did they play most of their A-team lineup?
Cuz I wasn't THAT impressive. In the pregame thread there was all this handwringing and fear... I was told my TFC was gonna lose big time (by my fellow supporters) but in the end, they were a decent side that did not live up to their massive reputation. This is why I go into every game positive. It's much sweeter :)

The only guy that was truly dominant was the big CB, #15.

Anyways, the best Cruz Azul can do now is even up the "series". I think being even in these two games would have satisfied most people.

Whoop
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.cruz-azul.com.mx/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2386:cruz-azul-pierde-con-toronto-fc-2-1&catid=73:prenprimdiv&Itemid=28

Stryker
08-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Did Nane look like a freakin giant to anyone else when he came on?
Must have been the reletively small midfielders around him.

TFC_Junky
08-17-2010, 10:43 PM
YEAH BITCHES!!!! one of the best games ever!!!

greatwhitenorf
08-17-2010, 10:44 PM
I thought all four defenders played very well. Cohesive in our end, very cagey going forward. Best I've seen from Usanov in a while. Cann and Attakora are a great pairing.

Labrocca had a fine game tonight - deceptive, perceptive, tenacious. Reads the game so well, does a lot of little things at the right time. Perfect, crafty player for these types of games.

And we were just snapping into challenges all night, especially up front, forcing turnovers and taking away their time and space.

So nice to see TFC step up their overall play in these CL games. Everything happens quicker, demands sharper play and they've delivered. Somewhere in all this, a guy named Preki should probably get some credit.

kodiakTFC
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Agreed, ball boy wins man of the match.

BayernTFC
08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Perhaps Mexican sides have grown complacent due to lower quality or disinterested MLS clubs in previous years. I am with you. I think Cruz Azul certainly underestimated TFC and they seemed to look like they expected to just be handed the win. I was certainly surprised by the way TFC played tonight. Usually we are much more haphazard and a few mental lapses can be counted on, but not tonight. Also, despite what some have posted on the RPB boards about Preki's lack of seriousness when it comes to non-MLS competitions, I felt that TFC was really well prepared for this game. TFC looked like they wanted to make a statement and they were playing to win for a change. This is good to see because I believe that the CCL is much more important than MLS play. This is by far the most entertaining match that I have seen TFC play. I hope that it isn't just a one off. This result should at least force Mexican sides to no longer take certain opposition for granted.

Torrado's introduction in the second half totally changed things. He was amazing. Very glad they didn't start him.
A mistake borne from Cruz Azul's overconfidence, perhaps? Cruz Azul did a much better job of drawing fouls and getting free kicks above the box in the second half. They weren't awarded many corner kicks though.

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
http://www.cruz-azul.com.mx/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2386:cruz-azul-pierde-con-toronto-fc-2-1&catid=73:prenprimdiv&Itemid=28

TORONTO, Canada., Mal beginning of Cruz Azul in the first game of the group stage of the Champions League and runners up in the CONCACAF, who played tonight at BMO Field, as the squad fell to Local Toronto by a score of 2-1.

The Canadian scene, showed his graderío painted in red, carrying a little more than 16 000 fans who crammed the stadium Canada, with a small number of blue, but they were there to support your team in this beautiful country.
Cruz Azul left puzzled in the first minutes of the game, in fact, had to accept an early goal that surprised Yosgart Gutierrez and his own companions behind.
After the first goal, the squadron Celeste kept possession but could not string together the moves of danger that disturbed the rival, which it stopped, and with the support of his people, tried to avoid scoring the equalizer.
Subsequently, and in a surprise move as the Canadian group showed no push up front, came second while the meeting ruled in favor of the red team.
Cruz Azul in the supplementary part, made changes to give mobility to the attack, entered Christian Giménez, Javier Orozco, Gerardo Torrado, who were supporting the rest of his teammates to look for while the closer on the scoreboard.
The goal that came on the scoreboard as Cruz Azul fell late in the spoils of Christian Gimenez in the 89th minute with a beautifully executed penalty shot, but insufficient to match the cards and there were only three minutes on the clock.
Celeste starts badly with the tournament bracket, but it is an old acquaintance in this competition and one of the favorites to reach the finals, because in their two previous row and came to the end on those two occasions and today today is the team to beat.
Much remains to be done and five more games, three of them at home at the Azul stadium and with it the hopes of continuing in the competition the next phase towards the end.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-17-2010, 10:55 PM
would it be safe to say sloop tfc is becoming our anthem...hell it was done with alot of heartt tonight ....sounded great

TFC_Junky
08-17-2010, 10:56 PM
anyone else feel that MOTM had to be Cann? he was outstanding in the back tonight. cleared everything that came near him. F'n great game IMO.

yanggoh
08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Just got home...amazing game, easily one of the best performances i've seen live.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
off tomorrow....repeat on at 130....haha

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Perhaps Mexican sides have grown complacent due to lower quality or disinterested MLS clubs in previous years. I am with you. I think Cruz Azul certainly underestimated TFC and they seemed to look like they expected to just be handed the win. I was certainly surprised by the way TFC played tonight. Usually we are much more haphazard and a few mental lapses can be counted on, but not tonight. Also, despite what some have posted on the RPB boards about Preki's lack of seriousness when it comes to non-MLS competitions, I felt that TFC was really well prepared for this game. TFC looked like they wanted to make a statement and they were playing to win for a change. This is good to see because I believe that the CCL is much more important than MLS play. This is by far the most entertaining match that I have seen TFC play. I hope that it isn't just a one off. This result should at least force Mexican sides to no longer take certain opposition for granted.

A mistake borne from Cruz Azul's overconfidence, perhaps? Cruz Azul did a much better job of drawing fouls and getting free kicks above the box in the second half. They weren't awarded many corner kicks though.

CCL has never been high on their list and they've never played their best side. But more wins like this will change that attitude.

BayernTFC
I think it's time to end the OBW experiment...he's brutal.

Why does Preki insist on bring in players for junk time in important games.
After a night like tonight, I'm not going to sh*t on an individual player, but I think in this case it was a matter of too few options on the bench. Maicon Santos and Chad Barrett were both injured. From what I have seen from Maicon Santos so far, one would want to believe that he would have been the option chosen if available. Maicon Santos is strong at holding up the ball, he's good with the ball at his feet, he has a nice touch and he passes well. His size would have been an advantage against the Mexicans and he seems composed when he shoots for goal. I've seen some good linking between DeRo and Maicon Santos too.

devioustrevor

CONCACAF's website says 16,862

TFC_Junky
WTF was with the lack of a croud tonight? Don't people know how important these CCL games are? F'n part-timers the stands were half empty.

rocker
08-17-2010, 11:04 PM
anyone else feel that MOTM had to be Cann? he was outstanding in the back tonight. cleared everything that came near him. F'n great game IMO.

Cann's great. What a find. How is this guy 29 and basically a journeyman until getting to TFC? Late bloomer I guess. But he's a rock back there.

Hustle
Your blue your white your team is fuckin shite...Cruz azuuull Cruz azullll.

What a result..what a nice surprise.

Inklink
Woohoo! Great game boys! Some empty seats on the broadcast, but you folks rocked the supporters sections and it looked and sounded great on TV, so kudos for that!

Mista was brilliant today. Finally in form and looking great.

High-five to the solid CBs but especially to Usanov. And Hskanovics too, for that smart pass to Mista.

Conway played very well. Disappointed with the last few minutes. More so with the refereeing. BS foul against Nana and a blatant red card missed on Torrado. That punk really needs to be taught a lesson.

Overall, very happy! :D

greatwhitenorf
08-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Very good atmosphere tonight. Same at the Motagua game. Not full houses, but full of good fans.

West220Side
08-17-2010, 11:08 PM
We made a signing!!! did anybody else notice the Uruguayan flag waving in the wind tonight?

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
We made a signing!!! did anybody else notice the Uruguayan flag waving in the wind tonight?

You realize that our head assistant is from Uruguay right?

Pachuco
Just got back. Great effort by the boys. Unfortunately...being a goalie...I called the Cruz goal. I knew he need more players in that wall. There's no shame in putting 5-6 guys in a wall...That one is a combo of a good strike and bad call by Conway.

Other than that....great effort all around....except maybe OBW. In a game where everybody was firing on all cylinders (especially in the first half) he looked out of place.

Good on Hscanovics, Saric and Usanov. They all stepped up tonight.

To all the Preki "negative football" critics.....

EAT IT!

Good job boys.

ps...supporters sounded great tonight. Well done guys and gals.

the ball went over the wall, directly above Cann's head. Were you planning on putting an extra player on Cann's shoulders?

TFC_Junky
Your blue your white your team is fuckin shite...Cruz azuuull Cruz azullll.

What a result..what a nice surprise.

what a great chant that was!!!

TFC_Junky
08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
rewatching the game now, god, we were loud considering the lack of peeps.

Jeffro
08-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Interesting... I know we were trying to sign Izaguirre, but I thought Celtic picked him up??

backbeat
08-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Interesting... I know we were trying to sign Izzaguirre, but I thought Celtic picked him up??

Izzaguirre is honduran...as for signings, we need them but tonight i just want to drink this all in....beautiful....

West220Side
08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
You realize that our head assistant is from Uruguay right?

Percovich has been with us since 09' and his flag hasn't been up there yet. The same thing happened with Mista i see the Spanish flag BOOM two or three days later "New Spanish Signing, Mista!"

The only person who isn't a play who has a flag representing him up there is Mo who has the Scottish flag wavin'

Jeffro
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Izzaguirre is honduran...as for signings, we need them but tonight i just want to drink this all in....beautiful....

Oh right, lol :picard:

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
WTF was with the lack of a croud tonight? Don't people know how important these CCL games are? F'n part-timers the stands were half empty.

You are blaming part-timers for not dishing out a shit load of money to watch a cup they've never heard of before? There's only one group of people to blame in all of this, and it's not the TFC part timers. There will always be part timers, it's the clubs responsibility to turn those part timers into full timers.

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Percovich has been with us since 09' and his flag hasn't been up there yet. The same thing happened with Mista i see the Spanish flag BOOM two or three days later "New Spanish Signing, Mista!"

The only person who isn't a play who has a flag representing him up there is Mo who has the Scottish flag wavin'

That`s because all of our other players are representing where the coaching staff is from...most of our coaches are Canadian. Preki is an American. Mo is Scot. The only one who hadn`t been repped is Leo.

West220Side
08-17-2010, 11:20 PM
That`s because all of our other players are representing where the coaching staff is from...most of our coaches are Canadian. Preki is an American. Mo is Scot. The only one who hadn`t been repped is Leo.

Then tell me - why suddenly throw his flag up? i'm going to pray that i'm right and we've signed our winger :scarf:.

Whoop
08-17-2010, 11:20 PM
I think the Serbian flag is for Preki.

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I think the Serbian flag is for Preki.

Sure the `Serb`flag isn`t a Russian one for Usanov? The flags are very similar.

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Then tell me - why suddenly throw his flag up? i'm going to pray that i'm right and we've signed our winger :scarf:.

No idea, but MLSE isn't exactly known for being on top of its shit. Getting the right flags up is probably last on the list.

Whoop
08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Don't want to be talking flags but

a) It's a Serbian flag.
b) There is no Russian flag up or Latvian flag.

I noticed the Uruguayan flag as well, but I don't believe it's for a signing.

backbeat
08-17-2010, 11:26 PM
:flare:

did everyone miss the 1st half on-going dynamics between Saric and the Cruz manager tonight? it was f'ing brilliant how Saric played with his mind. even Preki got into it on the sidelines and then Dero broke saric and their coach up at the end of the 1st half and wrapped his arm around the Cruz's coach and walked him off the field - saric was brilliant....caused havoc for them physically and mentally…. :scarf:

flatpicker
08-17-2010, 11:29 PM
My buddy who came to the game with me has a perfect winning record at BMO.
I gotta get him out to more games!

Whoop
It looked like Mista was trash talking Cervantes as well tonight. LOL

Toronto Ruffrider
Didn't look very busy at all at BMO, seemed to be quite a few empty seats in the east end, and the north stands looked completly empty.

I would have pegged this game as a sellout for sure... what happened?

The pattern of empty seats followed price lines for the most part - the expensive midfield seats were sparsely filled, while the cheap seats were packed. In addition, the north end was pretty much empty, but I guess that can be expected given that no fans have season tickets in which to renew in that stand.

In general, I don't expect sell-out crowds from many CCL games. Games that are not a part of the season ticket package will always be more difficult to sell out, what with all of the additional tickets that have to be sold. This is fine by me, though - I would rather be amongst 17k boisterous supporters than around a crowd of 22k that is diluted with tourists and casuals.

SilverSamurai
08-17-2010, 11:30 PM
All I have to say is wow.
Great game!

South End (well 114/115) seemed really quiet after the 1st half though.

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 11:31 PM
My buddy who came to the game with me has a perfect winning record at BMO.
I gotta get him out to more games!

So does my 2 month old daughter :) She's now 1-0. Too bad the shite bulls game is in the beating sun or I'd make sure she's there again.

Heart of Stone
08-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Lots of festering bad blood after this one ... TFC played with emotion ... Cruz took notice in the second half ... some dirty shit went down ... TFC bashed them one in the mouth tonight...

BayernTFC
08-17-2010, 11:33 PM
CCL has never been high on their list and they've never played their best side. But more wins like this will change that attitude.
I hope so. Some of TFC's league games this season have been absolutely brutal to watch. You can really see the higher quality of teams such as CD Motagua and Cruz Azul. Poor finishing by Motagua helped TFC reach the group stage, but TFC didn't look outclassed tonight and the CCL matches have been much more entertaining imho. Players want to play for winning teams and beating quality sides in strong competitions gets notice. I think that consistently good showings in the CCL will be TFC's best chance to attract talent and improve the team.

Toronto Ruffrider
08-17-2010, 11:34 PM
You are blaming part-timers for not dishing out a shit load of money to watch a cup they've never heard of before? There's only one group of people to blame in all of this, and it's not the TFC part timers. There will always be part timers, it's the clubs responsibility to turn those part timers into full timers.

I can't say I was bothered by the lack of part timers; the atmosphere was better without them. Let MLSE worry about selling out the stadium.

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 11:35 PM
I can't say I was bothered by the lack of part timers; the atmosphere was better without them. Let MLSE worry about selling out the stadium.

I don't disagree. But I'd rather have part timers turned into passionate full timers then simply have those people walk away.

Whoop
08-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Cruz Azul had never conceded a goal against MLS competition in CCL matches.

Kevvv
08-17-2010, 11:43 PM

A-frikkin-men. Anyone who expected a sellout obviously hasn't deduced that when MLSE advertises the hell out of a match - "still a few tickets left" - that means they're trying to move tickets.

Lots of festering bad blood after this one ... TFC played with emotion ... Cruz took notice in the second half ... some dirty shit went down ... TFC bashed them one in the mouth tonight...

Speaking of dirty shit...no-one has mentioned the laser pointer yet. On the CA goal, when they were setting up for the kick, a green laser pointer was coming from the south west side, somewhere around 222 or lower. Just before the kick it was by the ball; I never saw it on Conway, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got it in the eye.

ManUtd4ever
08-17-2010, 11:43 PM
EPIC performance by all 11 players on the pitch tonight in an inspiring and unbelievable performance! I will gladly eat my words in the aftermath of a remarkable upset as TFC played arguably their most thorough match of the season against a regional powerhouse despite injury concerns.

Mista once again displayed flashes of brilliance and continues to show signs of being a force down the stretch as he regains match fitness. Hscanovics and Usanov played their best games in red forming what was our most mobile backline of the season. Saric and Conway filled their roles as replacements admirably as well.

Cruz Azul was not in their best form tonight but nonetheless, if not for questionable officiating and missed opportunities, the scoreline could have easily been more lopsided in favor of TFC. Tonight was their best effort of the season and I hope it will instill more confidence in the players moving forward...

Toronto Ruffrider
08-17-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't disagree. But I'd rather have part timers turned into passionate full timers then simply have those people walk away.

Agreed, but it takes time to build interest in these extra-curricular competitions. There have been loads of part-timers since Beckham signed with LA back in 2007. The process of converting part-time subscribers into passionate supporters is not an easy one, nor is the process of attracting fans who normally don't attend any TFC games. If the club does its job and and off the pitch, the number of empty seats for CCL matches will decrease significantly.

Blizzard
08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
EPIC performance by all 11 players on the pitch tonight in an inspiring and unbelievable performance! I will gladly eat my words in the aftermath of a remarkable upset as TFC played arguably their most thorough match of the season against a regional powerhouse despite injury concerns. Mista once again displayed flashes of brilliance and continues to show signs of being force down the stretch as he regains match fitness. Hscanovics and Usanov played their best games in red forming what was our most mobile backline of the season. Saric and Conway filled their roles as replacements admirably as well. Cruz Azul was not in their best form tonight but nonetheless, if not for questionable officiating and missed opportunities, the scoreline could have easily been more lopsided in favor of TFC. Tonight was the best effort of the season and I hope it will instill more confidence in the players moving forward...

Saric is no replacement!

:scarf:

Dub Narcotic
08-17-2010, 11:50 PM
I hope so. Some of TFC's league games this season have been absolutely brutal to watch. You can really see the higher quality of teams such as CD Motagua and Cruz Azul. Poor finishing by Motagua helped TFC reach the group stage, but TFC didn't look outclassed tonight and the CCL matches have been much more entertaining imho. Players want to play for winning teams and beating quality sides in strong competitions gets notice. I think that consistently good showings in the CCL will be TFC's best chance to attract talent and improve the team.

Montagua would be a average team in MLS, IMHO. I think RSL, for example, is easier better than they are. Most of the MLS games at BMO have been of reasonable quality, some of the road games not so much.

rocker
08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
:flare:

did everyone miss the 1st half on-going dynamics between Saric and the Cruz manager tonight? it was f'ing brilliant how Saric played with his mind. even Preki got into it on the sidelines and then Dero broke saric and their coach up at the end of the 1st half and wrapped his arm around the Cruz's coach and walked him off the field - saric was brilliant....caused havoc for them physically and mentally…. :scarf:

ya I sit not far from that visitor bench. at one point Saric was smiling at the CA coach, and the coach took his right hand and made his fingers move like a chattering mouth at Saric.

pekduck
08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Sure the `Serb`flag isn`t a Russian one for Usanov? The flags are very similar.

Milos Kocic, the 3rd GK, born Leskovac, Serbia

Super Cereal
08-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Was anyone else happy as hell to see Saric and Usanov have great games? They get shit on a lot, but how can you not root for them?

Usanov and Saric play every game like it's their last. Both are tough as nails, with Saric acting as our enforcer in the midfield, Usanov quite proficient himself with slide tackles. Usanov hustles more than anyone.

Glad for the win, and glad for the players that stepped up.

Whoop
08-18-2010, 12:05 AM
L7Ws7h4SiLA

Whoop
08-18-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.vefutbol.com.mx/notas/29091.html

Whoop
08-18-2010, 12:22 AM
http://www.record.com.mx/node/16426

http://www.record.com.mx/node/16427

Blizzard
08-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Was anyone else happy as hell to see Saric and Usanov have great games? They get shit on a lot, but how can you not root for them?

Usanov and Saric play every game like it's their last. Both are tough as nails, with Saric acting as our enforcer in the midfield, Usanov quite proficient himself with slide tackles. Usanov hustles more than anyone.

Glad for the win, and glad for the players that stepped up.

Usanov made our first goal with his work overlapping on the wing and then his header on the line to keep the ball in play. Without those two accomplishments, that ball never gets to Martin.

Maxim just has to make sure he doesn't over commit and get caught. That is his major failing.

bgnewf
08-18-2010, 12:42 AM
In my pre-game blog I got it all wrong. I thought TFC would not win Tuesday Evening against Cruz Azul in the CONCACAF Champions League. But lo and behold TFC plays some of their best soccer in franchise history to win their first foray into the Champions League Group Stages 2-1 at BMO Field.

Some video thoughts along with scenes from the south stands.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/tfc-wins-over-cruz-azul/

Comments always welcome.

Jeffro
08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
In my pre-game blog I got it all wrong. I thought TFC would not win Tuesday Evening against Cruz Azul in the CONCACAF Champions League. But lo and behold TFC plays some of their best soccer in franchise history to win their first foray into the Champions League Group Stages 2-1 at BMO Field.

Some video thoughts along with scenes from the south stands.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/tfc-wins-over-cruz-azul/

Comments always welcome.

First time watching your video, good stuff!

One complaint, I was really hoping for insightful tfc commentary, delivered with a heavy newf accent, but that's alright... :D

Stryker
08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
^^ Sorry I couldn't take you seriously wearing CREW COLOURS.

:p

bgnewf
08-18-2010, 01:11 AM
^^ Sorry I couldn't take you seriously wearing CREW COLOURS.

:p

I get that all the time mate!

My 77 year old mom out in Newfoundland tells me she can spot me at every home game now on TV since I got the goalie kit. That's reason enough for me.

:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

BayernTFC
08-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Montagua would be a average team in MLS, IMHO. I think RSL, for example, is easier better than they are. Most of the MLS games at BMO have been of reasonable quality, some of the road games not so much.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. RSL was an average team last year (finished 8th) that won the MLS Championship. MLS is a parity league with not a lot of difference between the top teams and the middle teams. MLS' current best team LA Galaxy got trounced by the Puerto Rico Islanders of division two. Comparisons aren't always easy to make. To be honest I haven't spent much time watching either Motagua or Real Salt Lake. Motagua was starting their pre-season after a several month break when they faced TFC in the CCL. Motagua looked rusty, but their quality was still able to shine through imho. Who knows what would have happened if Georgie Welcome was in Tegucigalpa for the return leg instead of in Glasgow for a trial and Motagua doesn't have to rely on Charles Córdoba and Shannon Welcome? I found TFC's early season match vs. Real Salt Lake hard to watch. The tactics employed were puzzling to me and the match wasn't very entertaining. My first impression of CD Motagua was good. I can't say the same for most MLS teams. I enjoyed seeing Amado play against TFC. I liked what I saw from Georgie Welcome, Emilio Izaguirre and Mauricio Weber. I follow TFC, but I prefer to watch German Third League matches to MLS. Different strokes for different folks.

James Oliphant
08-18-2010, 01:59 AM
If anyone's looking for an easy way to keep track of this entire tournament, I've got it all on one page:

http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=162

Every matchup, every result, every table in one spot.

twistedchinaman
08-18-2010, 02:22 AM
I saw the second goal by Mista -- the man was left completely unmarked.

The stands were empty. Shocking.

Redcoe15
08-18-2010, 03:11 AM
I was at work. Missed the game.

FUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

Keystone FC
08-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Great result, great team effort, and espeically from the ones who seem to catch the flak from supporters. Now if we could only do this for regular season matches.

Here's hoping we can go down there and get a win (which apparently no one does) even a tie down there would be awesome but it's going to be tough.

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 03:36 AM
Saw the game streaming from Europe...woke up my wife when TFC scored.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :drum::scarf::flare:

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 03:38 AM
By the way, the supporters sounded GREAT on the stream.

So proud....so friggin' proud.

TFC Bhoy
08-18-2010, 03:54 AM
what a great game!!!!! Played really well especially in that first half. Bit annoyed to have given up that late goal especially on sucha shite call, but we got the 3 points over a pretty big Mexican side so Im just really proud!!

I though Usanov had one of the games of his life tonight. I think he has been hit and miss in games, but tonight I thought he was great. Made some great tackles, good runs, really good defensively. Same can be said for pretty well everyone in red tonight and having a good game, just Usanov really stood out for me personally.

billyfly
08-18-2010, 04:00 AM
Saw the game streaming from Europe...woke up my wife when TFC scored.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :drum::scarf::flare:

And in comparison I went to bed after driving from Ronda, Espana to Caldas, Portugal. Great surprise to see the team win this.

twistedchinaman
08-18-2010, 05:11 AM
And to sum up the game (and to preview the next)...in Chinese:

勝的懷抱令君醉, 夢兒穌醒您所見,
The allure of victory is intoxicating, but when one awakens we can see
光榮路尚剩千里, 莫閒癡醉今夜光.
The road to glory is long, we must not idle on the glory of this night
青龍已返紅牛近, 三夥敵星風險多,
The blue dragon has departed, the Bull approaches with a trinity of dangers
家鄉芳草綠萋萋, 不許他人征毀它.
The grass of home is lush and green, let's not let invaders destroy it.

denime
08-18-2010, 06:14 AM
If anyone's looking for an easy way to keep track of this entire tournament, I've got it all on one page:

http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=162

Every matchup, every result, every table in one spot.

Nice job,James

Menelaos
08-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Maybe next time they won't sit out 6 starters and take us lightly...

Shakes McQueen
08-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Maybe next time they won't sit out 6 starters and take us lightly...

True. Though in fairness to us, we were missing a few key players too - Barrett, Maicon, Frei, Gargan...

- Scott

GeorgeBest
08-18-2010, 07:40 AM
A great team victory.

One interesting aspect is Preki's use of a midfield diamond over the last several games. I believe this is an effective formation for TFC given the lack of effective wingers on the club. I was surprised to see JDG play at the bottom of the diamond in front of the back 4, with Saric on one of the sides.

I thought JDG had a very good game. Last night I think we got a taste of the La Liga JDG. Cruz Azul's players are smaller and more skilled than MLS players. Against this type of player, JDG stayed on his feet and was more tenacious in winning balls and distributed well. Let's hope he carries this excellent play into the last part of the season.

TFC also benefitted from the insertion of Usanov and Hscanovics at FB. With the diamond midfield, you need fullbacks who can move forward to give width and both of them do (as does Gargan). Both TFC goals resulted from FB's moving forward. I'm perplexed as to why Garcia has got the majority of the starts over Hscanovics. I realize Hscanovics made some rash challenges early in the season which may have put him in Preki's bad books but to me he is the better player.

Cann continues to impress game after game. IMO, TFC's most consistent outfield player this year.

james
08-18-2010, 07:45 AM
great fucking game....i so wish i was there i never thot they would be up 2-0 at half. AWSOME BOYS!!

another note...TFC need to lower there midfield seats prices for champions League matches, even teams in Europe such as Fulham lower there Europa game prices compared to there premiership prices. TFC should do the same!

koryo
08-18-2010, 07:46 AM
I think Shakes summed up last night's game nicely in his first post. Agreed on all counts.

daner90
08-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Not much to be said that hasn't been said already.

A huge milestone last night for TFC last night as Mista became the first Designated Player in club history to score in any competition!!!!

Great game all around, I was not very optimistic going in with Barrett and Santos unavailable but everyone really picked up the slack!!!

Nodoubtguy
08-18-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm still riding the high from last night.......

UltraFootyKWC
08-18-2010, 08:08 AM

rr

Yes sir! I agree 100%.

I found myself saying a few times during the game that Usanov was playing the best I have ever seen him play.

phonzo
08-18-2010, 08:10 AM
all i have to say....is holy fuck we won..and my hang over sucks

Carts
08-18-2010, 08:13 AM
all i have to say....is holy fuck we won..and my hang over sucks

DOWN GOES PHONZO...!!!!

Best drop at BMO ever... :D

VIDEOS OF GATE-3 CELEBRATION...????

Carts...

phonzo
08-18-2010, 08:15 AM
fucking slippery chair..i blame the chair and boris.

TFC Cityboy
08-18-2010, 08:19 AM
great fucking game....i so wish i was there i never thot they would be up 2-0 at half. AWSOME BOYS!!

another note...TFC need to lower there midfield seats prices for champions League matches, even teams in Europe such as Fulham lower there Europa game prices compared to there premiership prices. TFC should do the same!

One other possibility is to offer a special for a kid with a full-cost adult seat. For Carling Cup/Europa League games in England, some clubs offer a "kid for a quid" in such a case. Obv not a long-term strategy for TFC given the capacity, but it would be a way to fill up the North Stand on nights like last night. Plus if the kid has a great time, he (or she) will nag the f##k out of the parent to go again. Marketing =done.

It might be an idea to try this for the North stand for the 2 other home games to assess it.
Downside is the matches are midweek and school will be back in by then, but it's never stopped me bringing my lads out to BMO.

Wagner
08-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Mista...
dude is awesome.
His skill and superior touch is very apparent.

http://www.actualidadfutbol.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/mista1.jpg

Learn it:
Hey Mista you're so fine.
You're so fine you blow my mind.
Hey Mista...Hey Mista

phonzo
08-18-2010, 08:24 AM
ya mista last night..fantastic!

Shway
08-18-2010, 08:27 AM
not to toot my own horn anything, but when everyone was saying we were going to get smoked, this is goign to be a blow out i predicted....:

2-0 TFC Final!

Dero gets the opener,
De Guzman scores his first TFC goal ever

:flare::scarf::flare::scarf::flare::scarf::flare:
:scarf: :drum: :scarf: :drum: :scarf: :drum:

...optomistic much.......well all of this were going to loose stuff made me do this!!!!

TFC FOR LIFE!

daner90
08-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Is the Real Salt Lake game on GOL TV tonight, I can't get the schedule on their website to work

TFC Cityboy
08-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Great game!

A couple of us loud ones from the back went over to 112 for the 2nd half.
:)
It's up to ALL of us in 114/115 to carry what we hear in 112/113 over to 114/115 rather than just the few pockets of chanters in 115

Oldtimer
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I thought JDG had a very good game. Last night I think we got a taste of the La Liga JDG. Cruz Azul's players are smaller and more skilled than MLS players. Against this type of player, JDG stayed on his feet and was more tenacious in winning balls and distributed well. Let's hope he carries this excellent play into the last part of the season.

I was thinking the same thing. It was easy during this match to see why JDG was such a fan favourite in Spain. When he is playing against latin-style opposition, he reads the game amazingly. Twice I saw the following situation:

(1) Player A is passing to player B
(2) Before player B even gets the ball, JDG is already moving to where player B is going to shoot.
(3) Player B shoots the ball exactly where JDG was moving to and JDG gets the ball.

It was breathtaking to watch.

Mista also excelled against Cruz Azul's defenders, he knew exactly where to place the ball to get it behind them. He was stunningly effective.

If beating Mexican teams is key to winning this thing, then this team has potential to go far in the CCL.

Unfortunately, we don't play latin-style teams most weeks in the league, and this means that progress in MLS will be more difficult (the only MLS teams that really play a latin style are DC United and Chivas).

pekduck
08-18-2010, 09:40 AM
In general other MLS teams play up close marking and gives zero space. Less techniques but more brute force on strength, aerial abilities and pace. This often render players like Vitti, JDG, Mista, LaBrocca less effective on their own (albeit less effective, still very good and productive). If we had a midfield of JDG, Mista, LaBrocca, Dero and Barrett and Santos up front, then the MLS duo Barrett and Santos can fairly take up the physical elements of MLS thus creating space for the more elegant players we have and winning more games.

We get grind down when only 1 or 2 elegant players are playing (i.e. DeRo and JDG only plus zero first touch Sanyang or substitute whoever) as they don't have many options but have to hold the ball longer to their own disadvantage.

Oldtimer
08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
In general other MLS teams play up close marking and gives zero space. Less techniques but more brute force on strength, aerial abilities and pace. This often render players like Vitti, JDG, Mista, LaBrocca less effective on their own (albeit less effective, still very good and productive). If we had a midfield of JDG, Mista, LaBrocca, Dero and Barrett and Santos up front, then the MLS duo Barrett and Santos can fairly take up the physical elements of MLS thus creating space for the more elegant players we have and winning more games.

We get grind down when only 1 or 2 elegant players are playing (i.e. DeRo and JDG only plus zero first touch Sanyang or substitute whoever) as they don't have many options but have to hold the ball longer to their own disadvantage.

That's a pretty good analysis of why it doesn't work as well in MLS.

DangerRed
08-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Last night was hands down the best game of the season at BMO for me so far.

The 4-1 beating of the Fire was quite amazing, but this was in a different league. It was thrilling, attractive, attacking football and I had nothing negative to say about the game (except when Usanov missed the ball completely while trying to make a clearance late in the second half :D)

Hope the momentum carries into Saturday!

pekduck
08-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Another issue with MLS players is that they don't run to create spaces or provide coverage neither does options.

Look at USA Clint Dempsey Heatmap courtesy of FIFA

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player=207851/heatmap.html

then his distance traveled

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player=207851/distanceandspeed.html
Less heat in attacking half, only ran 46.99 KM

The compare that with Spain David Villa
Heatmap
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player=229884/heatmap.html
Distance
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player=229884/distanceandspeed.html

62.84 KM ran in the attacking half of the pitch by Villa

There you have the difference in quality. 44.99 vs 62.84, less active area as well. Typical MLS style on Clint Dempsey even though he does not play here. It shows the quality gap.

reggie
08-18-2010, 10:22 AM

i agree 100%...most mls games are hard to watch due to the jammed midfield play.

__wowza
08-18-2010, 10:32 AM
imagine fellas, imagine what our game's going to look like when we've got barrett/santos back at our disposal. here's hoping chad's injury only makes him hungrier, he was red hot before he got hurt.

spark
08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I was thinking the same thing. It was easy during this match to see why JDG was such a fan favourite in Spain. When he is playing against latin-style opposition, he reads the game amazingly. Twice I saw the following situation:

(2) Before player B even gets the ball, JDG is already moving to where player B is going to shoot.
(3) Player B shoots the ball exactly where JDG was moving to and JDG gets the ball.

I appreciate the fact you are keeping a close eye on the intricacies of his game and posting b/c I find it a bit much game after game people railing on him for turnovers when his game/technique is far better than most. Or worse trying to argue Sanyang or Nane are better than him :facepalm:

__wowza
08-18-2010, 10:39 AM
i love reading this
http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12856~2124513,00.html

next to this
http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12856~2125846,00.html

Pachuco
08-18-2010, 10:58 AM
It's the morning after, usually by now I start to think about all the negative shit that goes on with this team. I can't help to think that last night was so incredible it will be engrained in my memory for life.

Usanov, Hscanovic and Saric were completely different players out there. You could just see the hunger in them. Hscanovic was making some incredible runs down the left wing and Usanov was a beast against their LW. He absolutely swallowed him up. Not sure if you guys noticed but both goals came from overlapping runs by our wide backs.

Goal 1 - Usanov makes a run down the right wing, somehow ends up with the ball in the box, heads it to mista who heads it into the goalie's hands and it falls on Saric's head.

Goal 2 - Hscanovic makes an overlapping run and puts the ball into Mista (showed incredible composure on that pass as opposed to wacking into the box) and Mista scores.

I was drooling at the wing play coming from our wide backs. What's even crazier is they did it without sacrificing their defensive position.

If Preki can get these guys to play like this every game we are in for a hell of a year and I will gladly eat my words that we need to get rid of the Lavian/Russian.

Heart of Stone
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Seemed to be quite a few Toronto-based Cruz Azul/Mexico supporters in attendance ... a few of them looked perplexed at how great an atmosphere it was at BMO ... they saw something last night that they never thought existed in Toronto...

rocker
08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Seemed to be quite a few Toronto-based Cruz Azul/Mexico supporters in attendance ... a few of them looked perplexed at how great an atmosphere it was at BMO ... they saw something last night that they never thought existed in Toronto...

Yeah we had some near us.

given the fact that TFC beat their old team, maybe now that CA is gone, they'll get interested in their new "home" team and come out to some TFC games.
If CA had kicked TFC's ass, they'd probably never have any respect for TFC.

Section 117
08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
The only thing that I have to complain about is with TFC F/O. Paul please take note of this as I think this would help the experience and create a better atmosphere.

When selling tickets to CCL matches why not ask what team they will be supporting? Give them an away section for their fans in one are would a) make them louder also create better atmosphere and b) make it safer for them.

I know there was a Cruz Azul fan with some TFC fans in front of us and a TFC fan behind them was giving it to him in spanish all night and you could see the fustration on his face. He wasn't going to do anything but a few more beers and a couple of hot heads and who knows what would have happened.

Just my 2 cents

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
It's the morning after, usually by now I start to think about all the negative shit that goes on with this team. I can't help to think that last night was so incredible it will be engrained in my memory for life.

Usanov, Hscanovic and Saric were completely different players out there. You could just see the hunger in them. Hscanovic was making some incredible runs down the left wing and Usanov was a beast against their LW. He absolutely swallowed him up. Not sure if you guys noticed but both goals came from overlapping runs by our wide backs.

Goal 1 - Usanov makes a run down the right wing, somehow ends up with the ball in the box, heads it to mista who heads it into the goalie's hands and it falls on Saric's head.

Goal 2 - Hscanovic makes an overlapping run and puts the ball into Mista (showed incredible composure on that pass as opposed to wacking into the box) and Mista scores.

I was drooling at the wing play coming from our wide backs. What's even crazier is they did it without sacrificing their defensive position.

If Preki can get these guys to play like this every game we are in for a hell of a year and I will gladly eat my words that we need to get rid of the Lavian/Russian.

QFT! I was saying to my buddy last night that Hscanovics and Usanov must have gotten their hands on some really good coke or something. If anything, my only negative comment would be why they haven't displayed that form all year. Perhaps their talents are more suitable for the Latin American style of play. In any case, this team is starting to demonstrate a surprising level of depth all over the pitch and Preki is learning how to employ the right players relative to the competition.

I'm still in shock! :scarf:

maninb
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah our FBs were good (for a change) but let's not forget that any player with a bit of pace ROASTS Usanov and Hescanovics, which leads them into hacking down players and cards....We still need afulltime LB...Would really love to see Santos and Mista get a string of games together, and DeRo and Barrett feeding off them...IMO those 4 could really tear the crap out of most 4 MLS defences...

DichioTFC
08-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Great game. Although I always go into a game with optimism, I was stunned with how well the boys did.

Today's not a day to nitpick on the negative, but to celebrate the positive. Next week in Panama, let's hope the boys have some more Tegucigalpa-magic in them.

Technorgasm
08-18-2010, 12:11 PM
MISTA. . he is the real deal
the kid has got it. . that is obvious. .

OBW = Surplus to requirements. . . . . put him in teh shop window.

wow. .. Cruz ate teh hard crusty one. . . love it!

Hitcho
08-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Hard to pick a MOTM from last night's game. I thought JDG was immense and absolutely excelled in the holding midfield role, he played that pocket brilliantly and was destruction on legs when it came to Azul trying to build attacking moves. Mind you, they didn't help themselves much by playing so narrowly all night and hardly stretching us on the wings at all.

De Ro was brilliant too, at times playing much deeper than usual and still charging forward in the 90th minute. He was everywhere tonight, and involved in a lot of our excellent build up play.

There are too many others to mention in detail - Conway, Cann, Hscanovics, Saric, Mista - all played very well.

I think I'd plump for JDG though because despite the brilliant attacking play we saw last night from TFC, the most striking thing was arguably how poor Azul looked, and a lot of that was down to JDG (as well as the general team work ethic in pressing Azul all night). There were a few moments when Azul looked pure quality and very dangerous, and I think the main reason we didn't see more of that was De Guzman. He's taken some flack since he signed, but he was brilliant last night (as was the rest of the team in all fairness).

David_Oliveira
08-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Spoke to Chad after the game in the parking lot.

ME: Hey Chad. When you coming back? Oh and Jacob great game today.
PETERSON: Thanks man
CHAD: I hope to play this weekend.
ME: Awesome. But seriously when are you coming back?
CHAD: {Laughs} It looks like this weekend. I'm feeling a whole lot better.
ME: Thats amazing. It's my birthday Saturday so get me a win this weekend
CHAD: I promise I'll do my best
PETERSON: Yeah me too!!!
ME: Thanks guys

Pachuco
08-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Spoke to Chad after the game in the parking lot.

ME: Hey Chad. When you coming back? Oh and Jacob great game today.
PETERSON: Thanks man
CHAD: I hope to play this weekend.
ME: Awesome. But seriously when are you coming back?
CHAD: {Laughs} It looks like this weekend. I'm feeling a whole lot better.
ME: Thats amazing. It's my birthday Saturday so get me a win this weekend
CHAD: I promise I'll do my best
PETERSON: Yeah me too!!!
ME: Thanks guys

Chad would make all the difference in the world in this game. OBW is just not there yet and Mista could be tired from playing last night. We need him fit badly.

Oldtimer
08-18-2010, 12:26 PM

I saw one family -- probably TO based CU supporters walking after the game. They had the longest expressions you ever saw. There was a little girl who looked like someone had just told her there is no real Santa Claus. I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for them. However, in every game there will be winners and losers, and I'm glad TFC won.

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
The only thing that I have to complain about is with TFC F/O. Paul please take note of this as I think this would help the experience and create a better atmosphere.

When selling tickets to CCL matches why not ask what team they will be supporting? Give them an away section for their fans in one are would a) make them louder also create better atmosphere and b) make it safer for them.

I know there was a Cruz Azul fan with some TFC fans in front of us and a TFC fan behind them was giving it to him in spanish all night and you could see the fustration on his face. He wasn't going to do anything but a few more beers and a couple of hot heads and who knows what would have happened.

Just my 2 cents

Agreed.

This is standard practice with most clubs. I realize MLS has never really had to worry about this, but it should be something they look at as things grow. It is such an easy measure to implement with such ample benefits, they'd be silly not to look at it.

Carts
08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I saw one family -- probably TO based CU supporters walking after the game. They had the longest expressions you ever saw. There was a little girl who looked like someone had just told her there is no real Santa Claus. I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for them. However, in every game there will be winners and losers, and I'm glad TFC won.

WTF do you mean there's no Santa Claus...?!?!?!?!?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090203150513/uncyclopedia/images/2/28/Crying_child.jpg

Carts...

wzhxvy
08-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Well of course...its the same when Canada plays. People who support that team expect to come and watch an exhibition of the superiority of their team against us (TFC or Canada as the case maybe) to make themselves feel good about whoever they support. Its nice for once to kick some butt and show that we have a real team here. I hope some of those fans were converted over because at the end of the day they live here and have a chance to follow TFC and support their local team... they are not flying to Mexico every week to watch CA...and I doubt many of them watch CA on TV every week.

torontocelt
08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
If Mista can get fit then I would love for TFC to keep him, I think he is on a short term contract at the moment? For me his technique and touch is way beyond anyone else on the team as is his vision. If he was 100% fit and continued to be motivated he would be a fantastic DP signing.

menefreghista
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Well of course...its the same when Canada plays. People who support that team expect to come and watch an exhibition of the superiority of their team against us (TFC or Canada as the case maybe) to make themselves feel good about whoever they support. Its nice for once to kick some butt and show that we have a real team here. I hope some of those fans were converted over because at the end of the day they live here and have a chance to follow TFC and support their local team... they are not flying to Mexico every week to watch CA...and I doubt many of them watch CA on TV every week.

The one good thing about the club game is that its doubtful you will ever seen an organized 'away' support like you would in a Canada match.

Last night I noticed someone in the south end wearing a Motagua jersey supporting TFC.

phonzo
OBW is just not there yet and Mista could be tired from playing last night.

OBW will never be there.

The FO should ask but at the same time a lot of folks just purchase from Ticketmaster for these games. The thing with ticketmaster is you could allocate "supporters" seats but what if I want to sit in in this area and there isn't one..i'm going to get whatever seat is available.

Steve

Mista also excelled against Cruz Azul's defenders, he knew exactly where to place the ball to get it behind them. He was stunningly effective.

If beating Mexican teams is key to winning this thing, then this team has potential to go far in the CCL.

Unfortunately, we don't play latin-style teams most weeks in the league, and this means that progress in MLS will be more difficult (the only MLS teams that really play a latin style are DC United and Chivas).

Very good points on JDG. I agree with you, watching him last night I couldn't help but think "wow, THAT'S the defensive mid I've heard about" and you're absolutely right, it's down to a different style of game. Robinson was a better man tackler, he could take the ball off of a person fairly well, but he couldn't read the game the same way. Luckily for him, MLS is more of a "strength on the ball" league than a "pass it around" league, so he did well. In contract, JDG has always looked a little... weak in the tackle. It's likely due to the fact that he isn't used to having to tackle off of big, strong players. He's used to cutting out passes, closing down lanes, and preventing opposing teams from building any kind of intricate play. That's what he's strong at, and that's where he absolutely shined last night.

So yeah, I may have momentarily questioned Preki's using JDG as a defensive mid last night, but now that I think about it, it was the perfect move. In MLS play, however, I think JDG is much better utilized as a more attacking player, since he has good skills with the ball at his feet, and once he settles down, I think his passing will shine.

The other thing is we now have players that do well with the space of the Latin American style of play. Mista was absolutely a killer out there, and DeRo was doing well too. If we can get Maicon or Barrett out there instead of OBW (who, even with space, seems like he wants to give the ball back) we will be a great attacking team against Mexican teams. We'll have to see how far we fall in the away game, of course, but if we can put in a decent showing, I think we can go far in this tourny.

menefreghista
08-18-2010, 12:55 PM
OBW will never be there.

I think he will be playing USL1/NASL next season.

Steve
08-18-2010, 12:56 PM
If Mista can get fit then I would love for TFC to keep him, I think he is on a short term contract at the moment? For me his technique and touch is way beyond anyone else on the team as is his vision. If he was 100% fit and continued to be motivated he would be a fantastic DP signing.

For me, that depends on how he plays in MLS. Mista is a player that's obviously used to the style of play CA play, which will help us immensely in CCL play. He uses the space they give him well, pressures their defense, and reads the game very well. The problem is, MLS plays a different style. So, if he can adapt to MLS, I'm all for keeping him. If not, is he worth keeping around for the CCL only on a DP wage?

ManUtd4ever
08-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Very good points on JDG. I agree with you, watching him last night I couldn't help but think "wow, THAT'S the defensive mid I've heard about" and you're absolutely right, it's down to a different style of game. Robinson was a better man tackler, he could take the ball off of a person fairly well, but he couldn't read the game the same way. Luckily for him, MLS is more of a "strength on the ball" league than a "pass it around" league, so he did well. In contract, JDG has always looked a little... weak in the tackle. It's likely due to the fact that he isn't used to having to tackle off of big, strong players. He's used to cutting out passes, closing down lanes, and preventing opposing teams from building any kind of intricate play. That's what he's strong at, and that's where he absolutely shined last night.

So yeah, I may have momentarily questioned Preki's using JDG as a defensive mid last night, but now that I think about it, it was the perfect move. In MLS play, however, I think JDG is much better utilized as a more attacking player, since he has good skills with the ball at his feet, and once he settles down, I think his passing will shine.

The other thing is we now have players that do well with the space of the Latin American style of play. Mista was absolutely a killer out there, and DeRo was doing well too. If we can get Maicon or Barrett out there instead of OBW (who, even with space, seems like he wants to give the ball back) we will be a great attacking team against Mexican teams. We'll have to see how far we fall in the away game, of course, but if we can put in a decent showing, I think we can go far in this tourny.

Agreed 100%...

Heart of Stone
08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I think I'd plump for JDG though because despite the brilliant attacking play we saw last night from TFC, the most striking thing was arguably how poor Azul looked, and a lot of that was down to JDG (as well as the general team work ethic in pressing Azul all night). There were a few moments when Azul looked pure quality and very dangerous, and I think the main reason we didn't see more of that was De Guzman. He's taken some flack since he signed, but he was brilliant last night (as was the rest of the team in all fairness).

As he has been playing full 90s recently it will be interesting to see how much we miss JDG this Saturday against NYRB...

DichioTFC
08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
One thing I noticed was that DeRo was giving OBW through balls and giving him passes that were ahead of him, sorta encouraging OBW to make runs and anticipate.

Not sure if its laziness, lack of awareness, poor reaction time or whatever, but OBW seems to not foresee plays developing ahead of him. With the speed he has, if Preki can instill vision, OBW could be the best striker in the league.

Unfortunately, until he develops that skill, he'll be a disappointment.

Yohan
08-18-2010, 01:56 PM
I think he will be playing USL1/NASL next season.i agree. loan him to an USL club so that he can get his scoring touch and confidence back

Hscanovic=Brennan v2. decent offensive skills, but not so good defensive skills and positioning

wonder how much flak Preki would have caught for not playing Frei if TFC lost

funny how many consider Chad Barrett a key member of TFC offence now

Gazza
08-18-2010, 02:02 PM
One thing I noticed was that DeRo was giving OBW through balls and giving him passes that were ahead of him, sorta encouraging OBW to make runs and anticipate.

Not sure if its laziness, lack of awareness, poor reaction time or whatever, but OBW seems to not foresee plays developing ahead of him. With the speed he has, if Preki can instill vision, OBW could be the best striker in the league.

I think De Ro showed a bit of fatigue last night. His vision was there with his through balls, but the weight of his passes was way off. De Ro is one of the fittest guys on the team but i'm afraid he might be running himself into the ground.

I don't think OBW is lazy, i just don't think he's fit enough or has the pace to latch onto balls that aren't two feet in front of him. I think you're spot on with his poor reaction time. Although he did a good job of pressuring the Cruz Azul backline and goalie into making mistakes.

DichioTFC
08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I think De Ro showed a bit of fatigue last night. His vision was there with his through balls, but the weight of his passes was way off. De Ro is one of the fittest guys on the team but i'm afraid he might be running himself into the ground.

I don't think OBW is lazy, i just don't think he's fit enough or has the pace to latch onto balls that aren't two feet in front of him. I think you're spot on with his poor reaction time. Although he did a good job of pressuring the Cruz Azul backline and goalie into making mistakes.

I agree with the bit of fatigue, which is understandable considering the length of the league and his age. But my concern is if we have cover for DeRo to give him a 45' breather. The Preki experiment in Colorado with DeRo / JDG / Barrett on the bench until the second half really might be necessary in the future if all these guys are being run into the ground.

Yeah, I didn't think he's lazy but the end result (where he gets to the ball late) might lend itself to be perceived as lazy. I don't think OBW's top speed is the issue, but his acceleration (how long it takes for him to reach that speed) might be problematic. Admittedly, I haven't looked as closely at his performance as others probably have, but there seems to be an issue (possibly fitness as you mentioned). Still, I'm not ready to give up on OBW. Young Canadian player who could be a late bloomer (like Adrian Cann).

sampace
08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
We played an excellent game, the Ref in keeping with CONCACAF and MLS were subpar once again. Some cheap yellow cards, not enough toughness with Cruz Azul with some chippy play deserving a warning or something. I still don't understand how Mista was not awarded a penalty shot, guess according to the ref if you receive the Advantage outside of the box it is OPEN SEASON for the defence inside the box, they can break your leg and not get a card or penalty shot.

Something tells me the rules doesn't say that!

zooko62000
08-18-2010, 02:36 PM
For why Mista wasn't awarded a penalty, it wasn't awarded because he was offside so the play ended before the foul occured(look at the game in 6 it gives a good view of him offside and the assistant making the call) so the ref made the right decision to give us the freekick outside the box, after playing the advantage. This was the one call that he got right.

Fushida
08-18-2010, 02:52 PM

I think he's just majorly lacking in football IQ. This has been talked to death but the guy doesn't have a clue what to do once the ball comes to his feet - that is, assuming he's bothered to make a run and he actually realizes the ball is coming to him and reacts fast enough to try and chase it. He has an atrocious first touch... and I'm not too sure where the speed is that you mention... Other than a decent shot, OBW doesn't really have much going for him to be honest.

Here's to hoping he can get better but definitely not holding my breath :rolleyes:

mastermixer
08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
OBW is like a freight train... it seems like it takes him super long to get going but once he is in stride he can run past most defenders.

McBrace
08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
^^ I'm not seeing the speed your referring to. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think he beat a defender to a ball last night. He did put the pressure on the D and the keeper, but getting to the ball first, I didn't see it.

Heart of Stone
08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
And don't even get me started on the guy that choked DeRo for getting in his way in stoppage time, only to have both players get yellow cards.

Gerardo Torrado (born April 30, 1979 in Mexico City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City)) is an international Mexican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico) football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28soccer%29) player, currently playing as a midfielder for Cruz Azul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruz_Azul) and is capitan of the team. He is known as "El Borrego" ("The Sheep") for his bushy-like hair. His tyle of playing is commonly known to be a rough player in the field but a good recovery for the ball and good passing.(wiki)

Is this the bitch who choked Dero? Wonder if he would try that shit in Malvern...

Gazza
08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Gerardo Torrado (born April 30, 1979 in Mexico City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City)) is an international Mexican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico) football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28soccer%29) player, currently playing as a midfielder for Cruz Azul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruz_Azul) and is capitan of the team. He is known as "El Borrego" ("The Sheep") for his bushy-like hair. His tyle of playing is commonly known to be a rough player in the field but a good recovery for the ball and good passing.(wiki)

Is this the bitch who choked Dero? Wonder if he would try that shit in Malvern...

He would've had his front toot boxed in, bredren!

wzhxvy
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Did any of you see Saric after the game...he was going up to CA players and pretending to take off his shirt to trade shirts and the CA guys were walking away or telling him off...he would then put it back on and walk away with a smirk...pretty funny

JonO
08-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Went over the wall, did it not?

rocker
08-18-2010, 04:28 PM

ya.. not a problem of the # of players in the wall. It's interesting that usually walls jump. Nane and Cann didn't jump and the ball just squeaked over their heads. But I guess in the past we've had walls jump or break apart and a goal was scored, so you can't win em all.

Carefree
08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
ya.. not a problem of the # of players in the wall. It's interesting that usually walls jump. Nane and Cann didn't jump and the ball just squeaked over their heads. But I guess in the past we've had walls jump or break apart and a goal was scored, so you can't win em all.
That freekick was an absolute masterpiece. I'm not upset with any of our players for letting it go in. I am pissed off at the ref for giving away that cheap freekick in the first place. I think it was the fourth or fifth foul called on us in that area in 20 minutes. The ref had been awful all game long, but he had been awful evenly to both teams. It looked like around the 70th minute he got a call from his bookie letting him know that it would be in his best interest if Cruz scored one or two.

JonO
08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
That freekick was an absolute masterpiece. I'm not upset with any of our players for letting it go in. I am pissed off at the ref for giving away that cheap freekick in the first place. I think it was the fourth or fifth foul called on us in that area in 20 minutes. The ref had been awful all game long, but he had been awful evenly to both teams. It looked like around the 70th minute he got a call from his bookie letting him know that it would be in his best interest if Cruz scored one or two.
That's exactly how I saw it. Especially the part in bold... :lol:

ArmenJBX
08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Do you think Frei could have saved it? I think Conway kind of hesitated and Frei usually pounces quickly. I was thinking that Frei might have saved it, but in the end of the day, it was a beautiful kick.

Heart of Stone
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM

No doubt it was a masterpiece putting it in right off the post ... just prior Gimenez showed up the ref and received a yellow card ... in my opinion it should have been a red for that type of disrespect of an official...

Another Cruz Azul player who must be watched for dirtball tactics is Joel Huiqui (http://www.fanaticos.com/2009/12/08/la-mano-de-huiqui-marca-la-final-de-cruz-azul/).

Carefree
08-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Do you think Frei could have saved it? I think Conway kind of hesitated and Frei usually pounces quickly. I was thinking that Frei might have saved it, but in the end of the day, it was a beautiful kick.
He did hesitate. But in his defense the ball took a wicked curve right after clearing the wall, and by then it was already too late. I don't think he could have known it would curve that much. Like I said, masterpiece.

Hitcho
08-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't think Frei would have kept that free kick out. It's trajectory over the wall meant that any keeper would have seen it late, most likely it would have already been on the down curve by the time they reacted to it, and that ball went down fast and curved away from the keeper into the absolute foot of the post and bounced in. Very unlikely anyone would have got across the goal and right to the foot of the post to keep it out the way it was struck. Beckham would have been watching that one and nodding in approval, maybe even clapped a little.

TFC_Central
08-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Great game!

I was in 115. Maybe you should lend a capo?

SilverSamurai
08-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Yep that's the same guy.
Malvern? Walk in the park compared to lots of places in Mexico City.

Roogsy
08-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Malvern? Walk in the park compared to lots of places in Mexico City.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

BeerBaron95
08-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I was in 115. Maybe you should lend a capo?

Maybe you should capo :rolleyes:

MastaK
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Good victory for Canadian soccer, I can't lie, kind of dislike it as an Impact supporter but I do like to see a Mexican team lose though. The good thing is good performances by TFC (and Vancouver) will force us to get stronger because right now we look like we have no plan for 2012.
I can't help but think of our performance in 2008 and the great moments it brought us.
Hopefully in a couple years if things go well Canada will be one of the top countries for (club) football in America and a victory against a Mexican opponent will not be so unexpected.

DangerRed
08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
^^ I'm not seeing the speed your referring to. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think he beat a defender to a ball last night. He did put the pressure on the D and the keeper, but getting to the ball first, I didn't see it.

Couldn't agree more. What bothered me most is too many times you could see the guy's jogging when he should be running. Maybe this is going back to the injury he suffered that put him out for so long, but he's just not fast at all and not skilled enough to be a pure poacher.

Then again, this is what you get when you've got rather limited depth on the squad.

Blizzard
08-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think Frei would have kept that free kick out. It's trajectory over the wall meant that any keeper would have seen it late, most likely it would have already been on the down curve by the time they reacted to it, and that ball went down fast and curved away from the keeper into the absolute foot of the post and bounced in. Very unlikely anyone would have got across the goal and right to the foot of the post to keep it out the way it was struck. Beckham would have been watching that one and nodding in approval, maybe even clapped a little.

It reminded me of Amado's goal v Montreal in the miracle match. His was high to the corner instead of low but the location of the free kick was almost identical.

A top notch goal and no fault to Conway IMO.

However, that foul was a total dive and the referee bought it hook line and sinker.

BTW, does anybody have a screen cap of the choke hold on Dero?

thx

db

canadian_bhoy
08-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Take that Zool!

http://www.ourkitchensink.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ghostbusters-cross-streams.jpg

jloome
08-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Another issue with MLS players is that they don't run to create spaces or provide coverage neither does options.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player=207851/distanceandspeed.html

Heatmap
Distance
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player=229884/distanceandspeed.html

There you have the difference in quality. 44.99 vs 62.84, less active area as well. Typical MLS style on Clint Dempsey even though he does not play here. It shows the quality gap.

This all is interesting but self-evident. Look over the posts here: I've been harping on the lack of off-the-ball movement in MLS for four years.

MLS is about athleticism and hustle, most other nations it's about technique and reading the game.

Luanda
08-18-2010, 09:17 PM
YUP. but athleticism when coupled with technique is something to be scared of.
The US vs Portugal in the last WC was clear evidence of that. When you will have athleticism + technique and reading the game, the US will win the World Cup, with everyone else trying to catch up.

jloome
08-18-2010, 09:19 PM

QFT. People can harp on his lack of pace all they want. His passing and awareness is huge, and he's got a pretty sweet left foot.

jloome
08-18-2010, 09:21 PM
YUP. but athleticism when coupled with technique is something to be scared of.
The US vs Portugal in the last WC was clear evidence of that. When you will have athleticism + technique and reading the game, the US will win the World Cup, with everyone else trying to catch up.

Yeah, tenacity wins all eventually. In 20 or 30 years, when their youth development has totally caught up with the best nations, they'll be viciously tough to beat, as they are in the women's game.

Super
08-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Yes, Mista is only signed for half a year. That's either a problem or a blessing. If he shits the bed the rest of the season, then hey, we'll just not re-sign him. However, if he continues to play the way he did last night, then we might have to fork out more money for him - and guarantee him on a longer contract.

The good thing is that he's likely to want to finish strong - and we'll need that from him.

v00d00daddy
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Yeah...you and Pachuco are right. Watched it when I got home. Nothing wrong with the wall or Conway. My bad...just a well placed ball by the cruz player.

My bad

James17930
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes, Mista is only signed for half a year. That's either a problem or a blessing. If he shits the bed the rest of the season, then hey, we'll just not re-sign him. However, if he continues to play the way he did last night, then we might have to fork out more money for him - and guarantee him on a longer contract.

The good thing is that he's likely to want to finish strong - and we'll need that from him.

Maybe, but remember that this doesn't actually matter, because regardless of how much MLSE drop on him -- be it 600k, 1.2 mil or 3 mil or whatever -- all we need to care about is the hit against the cap, be it 350k or 325k or whatever it is.

But who knows, maybe he'd be cool about it, realizing that he's getting old, and be willing to go year to year.

Super Cereal
08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Did any of you see Saric after the game...he was going up to CA players and pretending to take off his shirt to trade shirts and the CA guys were walking away or telling him off...he would then put it back on and walk away with a smirk...pretty funny
I love Saric haha.

Rhapido
08-18-2010, 10:30 PM

Heatmap
Distance

Take a closer look at FIFA's stats. The 44.99K ran by Dempsey is his total distance over 4 games (including almost 15K in his last game against Ghana -- which albeit went 120 min). Villa's 62.84K is over 7 games. So Dempsey actually ran more on average per game than Villa.

Just sayin'.:D

Parkdale
08-19-2010, 09:24 AM
unstick

pekduck
08-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Take a closer look at FIFA's stats. The 44.99K ran by Dempsey is his total distance over 4 games (including almost 15K in his last game against Ghana -- which albeit went 120 min). Villa's 62.84K is over 7 games. So Dempsey actually ran more on average per game than Villa.

Just sayin'.:D

blah...stats fail.:D

mastermixer
08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
It reminded me of Amado's goal v Montreal in the miracle match. His was high to the corner instead of low but the location of the free kick was almost identical.

A top notch goal and no fault to Conway IMO.

However, that foul was a total dive and the referee bought it hook line and sinker.

BTW, does anybody have a screen cap of the choke hold on Dero?

thx

db

There is a great shot of it in the 24hours paper today.

Yohan
08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
surprised those who decry 6-1 victory over Mtl due to Impact not fielding their first team squad isn't saying same thing about Cruz Azul match (6 starters rested?)

flatpicker
08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
surprised those who decry 6-1 victory over Mtl due to Impact not fielding their first team squad isn't saying same thing about Cruz Azul match (6 starters rested?)

I think the difference is that Montreal's best lineup is still inferior to Toronto's on paper.
But Cruz Azul has for more skill and depth, so even with some starters missing, they still had the means to beat TFC.

Pachuco
08-19-2010, 01:18 PM

It's not just about players missing from Cruz Azul, it's also about:
* Montreal had nothing to play for.
* We were missing out two forwards who have been providing all our offense as of late.
* Cruz Azul is simply a much better team even with 6 starters rested.

For me it's simple, going into the Montreal game I always believed there was a chance we would pound them if they rested their players and didn't care about the game.

Going into the Cruz Azul game I didn't think there was a chance of us scoring a goal even if Cruz Azul played with 7 men.

Sure there are arguments both ways, but for me, it's about which one was more improbable.

rocker
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I still prefer the Montreal game.. since it was away, it was in more dire circumstances, and was just a magical, amazing thing.
Remember we had (still have) a lot of trouble scoring, even when gifted with opportunities. So to see so many goals pop in was unbelievable.

If I just go on how I felt after each game, I have to give it to the Montreal game. That was just so joyous... and it was against Montreal, the most reviled enemy!
Logical calculations may suggest Cruz Azul, but my emotions say Montreal!

Lucky Strike
08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Logical calculations may suggest Cruz Azul, but my emotions say Montreal!

That's what it always comes down to for me, in terms of sporting achievement, beating Cruz Azul (even with some starters rested - we had some as well and other missing through injury) is the greater win.

But emotionally speaking, the backstory to the Montreal game (hated rival, needed to win by 4, it was an away game, Montreal even scored the first goal to make the task bigger, it was for the national championship which we're supposed to win all the time) makes that the bigger game. So it depends on which is more important to you. And that's an individual thing, so we'll never get consensus even if you feel it's "obvious" which win was bigger.

rocker
08-19-2010, 03:41 PM
That's what it always comes down to for me, in terms of sporting achievement, beating Cruz Azul (even with some starters rested - we had some as well and other missing through injury) is the greater win.

But emotionally speaking, the backstory to the Montreal game (hated rival, needed to win by 4, it was an away game, Montreal even scored the first goal to make the task bigger, it was for the national championship which we're supposed to win all the time) makes that the bigger game. So it depends on which is more important to you. And that's an individual thing, so we'll never get consensus even if you feel it's "obvious" which win was bigger.

Yup, I also had memories of Montreal winning the cup on our ground coursing through my brain. That was one of the WORST experiences in my short TFC life... see that neanderthal Adam Braz jumping with the cup... all their players looking so excited. I actually got closer to the field and heckled them. I didn't have that hate for Cruz Azul.

During the broadcast of the Montreal Miracle, I was so goddamn nervous. Then as each goal game, I got crazier and crazier.. I was jumping off the walls. Then when they sealed it, the nerves disappeared and I was just supremely satisfied. I think it would have to be a CCL quarterfinal win at least to match that feeling in me.

I was excited and happy after Cruz Azul, but the Montreal game meant more to me. It was 1 game. Even if we lost to Cruz Azul, we have 5 more games.