PDA

View Full Version : Saputo calls out Ali Gerba (amongst others)

Oldtimer
08-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Saputo was emphatic "certain players must start to work" including veteran striker Ali Gerba, who the club signed July 16 to fill an offensive void only days after forward Roberto Brown, the team's top scorer last season and MVP of the championship series, was released after having scored one goal in 15 games.
"(Gerba) said he could help the team and negotiations with his agent were difficult, but after six games he doesn't have a single point," Saputo said.
I know there was a lot of anger expressed by some for Preki dumping Gerba, but maybe he was right, especially given that Gerba has failed to score , even in D-2.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Saputo+calls+players/3406639/story.html#ixzz0wt47sQr3

Gotta love Joey's passion when he calls out his club's players. However, I'm not so certain that the coaching staff would appreciate his meddling.

(BTW, Roberto Brown is still available).

rocker
08-17-2010, 01:03 PM
hmm.... so Preki was right....

man, Gerba is such a tease. Every coach and manager thinks the guy can produce, and he goes from team to team failing at every stop.

Whoop
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Getting released from TFC must have devastated Gerba.

KezmanCCCC
08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
he can get the job done for the national team... i guess as long as hes not with TFC thats all we can ask from him....

rocker
08-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Joey is tough... how about his quote:

"A guy like Rocco Placentino is cheating the organization, is cheating the club, is cheating our fans. If (he) comes on to play 30 great minutes every 12 to 15 games, he's not the type of player committed to this organization moving forward."

I guess he can hang these players out to dry because honestly few of them had any chance of making the 2012 team anyways.

p.s. I love seeing a Montreal meltdown. ;)

Oldtimer
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I guess he can hang these players out to dry because honestly few of them had any chance of making the 2012 team anyways.

Probably for every 6 players, only 1 will make the team.

Leading to the special ratio:

6-1

:D

Jarrek
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Gerba cannot deliver at the club level and always has fitness problems.

Oldtimer
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
An Impact blogger blames the technical director (their equivalent of MoJo):

After those player-centric diatribes, Joey comes close to skirting the issue by saying that the issues and philosophy needs to change, and that a change will come in 2011, but ignoring the fact a clubs “philosophy” is closely tied to the aura exuded from the front office, which right now is a large part of this complacency and stagnation that exists in Montreal. A technical director is in charge of the team, and should that team end up playing below their expectations, one most look towards the technical director for answers. Answers like why does he rely on player Philippe Billy to spearhead our search for talent, rather than earn his money by finding the players himself?http://dragonsandgulls.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/champion-requiem/

... and I thought only MLSE were "complacent" with a GM that doesn't earn his keep?

Gotta love it when times are dire in Montreal.

:)

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
doesn't surprise me at all. If there is one thing I don't blame Preki for it's releasing Gerba.

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I said at the time Gerba was released that I agreed with the move by Preki, and it looks like Montreal are now coming to the same realization - Gerba looked massively out of shape and feckless for most of his time here last season, and came back to training and pre-season this year looking exactly the same.

We should start a pool for how many days it takes until another interview surfaces in which he slags the Montreal coaches and management.

- Scott

ag futbol
08-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Meh, as much as Gerba and the other guys he's calling out aren't my favorites, he's got to cut the cord when it comes to his management team.

Nick De Santis is a running joke and it's questionable whether Marc Dos Santos is ready to be "the guy" yet.

wzhxvy
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Whats interesting to me is that he had "tough negotiations" with Montreal...pretty ballsy given how he left here...hope TFC is not on the hook anymore or at least not for the full amount...mind you if its not affecting the salary cap...I dont care

rocker
08-17-2010, 02:18 PM
15 stints on 11 diff clubs in 11 years.

flatpicker
08-17-2010, 02:32 PM
15 stints on 11 diff clubs in 11 years.

I wonder how many players, that front their National Team attack, have that kind of club track record?

Not many I bet.

And it reflects rather poorly on the CMNT.

hodgkiss
08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
how many goals vs games does obrien white have???

one could group him with ali gerba!

same with vitti when he was here - or even cunningham for that matter!

SilverSamurai
08-17-2010, 02:52 PM
I wonder how many players, that front their National Team attack, have that kind of club track record?

Not many I bet.

And it reflects rather poorly on the CMNT.
He's on track to break the record for the CMNT.
His games:goals ration on the CMNT is rather good, on the club side, its a different story.

Roogsy
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Meh...I stand by my feelings that Gerba wasn't given a chance here. How many games did he start? And if there weren't enough, why was he signed to begin with? Start dealing with THAT problem first.

As for his problems in Montreal...I dunno about you guys but it would seem Montreal's problems aren't Gerba in themselves.

And for those of you who easily dismiss Gerba's accomplishments for the CMNT, so be it. Far be it from me to tell you how to form logical arguments if you choose to pick and choose what is usable data as evidence in a discussion. But for me, I would have liked to have seen if Gerba could have replicated what he does for the CMNT when he was going to play with many of the same players on the club side. I guess we will never know. :noidea:

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
An Impact blogger blames the technical director (their equivalent of MoJo):

http://dragonsandgulls.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/champion-requiem/

... and I thought only MLSE were "complacent" with a GM that doesn't earn his keep?

Gotta love it when times are dire in Montreal.

:)

Misery loves company :D

TorCanSoc
08-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I liked gerba too. Very powerful in the middle. Maybe it was the style of play of the team? Feel bad for the guy. But if you're a striker and your not striking, you must take responsibility.

Roogsy
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
This is where I have a problem with the discussion. If anything, Strikers are the most mercurial of positions on the pitch. Their success, more than anyone elses, relies upon whether they are a good "fit" for that particular team and their strategy. The great and beloved Danny Dichio had a particular style that didn't fit all teams and thus he had sporadic success across several teams. Edsun Buddle was a flop here and has been lighting up MLS for 2 straight seasons. The list in Europe of players that couldn't score with a handful of 20s in a brothel for one team and then went on to light it up for their next team is endless. Gerba, if anything, is a poster child for this argument. There is something about the National Team that fits him that he has not been able to find at the club level. It may well have to do with attitude, conditioning whatever. I don't know. What I do know is that Gerba-bashers have nothing to point to when it comes to TFC. All people can point to is his lack of success at the club level, but do so only by ignoring his international success. That's just bad argumentation.

Strikers need a good fit. End of story. Was TFC a good fit for Gerba? Maybe or maybe not, but to pretend like he's the only striker that needs a very specific situation to shine is deluded. Most of them are like that.

Toronto Ruffrider
08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Gerba had a good strike rate for the Dons; I don't know why they let him go. Successful or not at the club level, Gerba has the best goals/game ratio of any CMNT striker by far.

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd be shocked if you see Gerba play for the CMNT anytime soon.

Toronto Ruffrider
08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd be shocked if you see Gerba play for the CMNT anytime soon.

If Hart deems him fit to play, he will play. Gerba has 15 goals in 29 caps for Canada, which is astounding for a striker in Canada. Granted, I think Hart is more likely to play younger strikers such as Simeon Jackson, but I don't think Gerba is out of the picture just yet.

Whoop
08-18-2010, 12:03 AM
But you still need some first team playing time with your club.

maninb
08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
IMO you won't see Gerba starting for the CMNT again...we're aiming for 2014 and Gerba has ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE on that team...he's pretty much washed up now...that being said to have him on the bench when you perhaps need a late goal may be beneficial, as long as he's not doing his usual petty sulking...