PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Soccer issues new league guidelines for USSF D-2

Yohan
08-17-2010, 01:48 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/08/ussf-releases-new-second-division-standards.html

75% of the teams must be U.S.-based, and play in markets with a population of at least 750,000.
Stadiums must seat at least 5,000 people.
The league must have U.S.-based teams in at least two different time zones in the first year, three by the sixth year.
Principal team owners must have an individual net worth of $20 million.
League must have at least eight teams in the first year, 10 in the third, and 12 by the third year.
A $750,000 bond is required to cover operational costs every year.

TFCRegina
08-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Well, Edmonton doesn't meet the second requirement, and Victoria doesn't meet the first. This is terrible.

Cas87
08-17-2010, 08:58 AM
^ true to the attendence problem in Edmonton but remember this is their exhibition year. I am sure that they can find however much temp seating to put around their pitch.
I think they'll just add seats to the pitch they are at now instead of moving to Commonwealth.

Cristiano14
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
These rules are wayy to harsh, do they still apply if NASL and USL split/and or one of them becomes the dominant D2 league

Super Cereal
08-17-2010, 10:57 AM
The 75% rule pisses me off.

rdroze
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
As much as I'd like to see lots of professional Canadian soccer teams, I don't blame the United States Soccer Federation one bit for enacting the nationality rules. It's not the USSF's fault that the CSA is nowhere to be seen when it comes to organizing and sanctioning Division 2 soccer in Canada.

Keystone FC
08-18-2010, 03:21 AM
These rules are wayy to harsh, do they still apply if NASL and USL split/and or one of them becomes the dominant D2 league
I would say yes. Here's the thing though. I know this was a USL v. NASL thing and the USSF was going to decide who got the Div. 2 status but the way the rules sound it seems like it's more about the clubs than the leagues, not to mention there are clubs on both sides who won't be able to make the standards so I don't think one specific league will get the nod it will be a league made up of the clubs that qualify for the status of a Div. 2 club. What that league would be called may be a sticking point unless the USSF has a plan for this.

Keystone FC
08-18-2010, 03:24 AM
As much as I'd like to see lots of professional Canadian soccer teams, I don't blame the United States Soccer Federation one bit for enacting the nationality rules. It's not the USSF's fault that the CSA is nowhere to be seen when it comes to organizing and sanctioning Division 2 soccer in Canada.
And also there really aren't that many cities left in Canada that could support a Div. 2 club, but I think it has more to do with the US leagues putting franchises in say Mexico, Bahamas, and Puerto Rico.

LittleOzzy
08-19-2010, 10:58 AM
These have to be some of the worst rules ever.

Why force a league to expand if it means a lesser game on the field?

Keystone FC
08-20-2010, 05:13 AM
These have to be some of the worst rules ever.

Why force a league to expand if it means a lesser game on the field?
It does beg the question what if there isn't enough clubs for the expansion. I mean you can have the club and the owner but you might not have the population or the SSS to move up.
If you look at some of the MLS clubs like Houston, San Jose, Kansas City, New York, and DC and see what they had to go through to get their SSS (or not in DC's and SJ's case) and these are MAJOR league clubs in MAJOR league cities.

devioustrevor
08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Metro area of 750,000?

There goes Victoria, Winnipeg, Hamilton and London as possible USSF-2 cities. What is the size of Quebec City?

Damien
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Fuck it... make the CSL our division 2 and let us regulate our own shit!