PDA

View Full Version : Geovanni, Quakes agree to terms

Yeoman
08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2010/08/geovanni-quakes-agree-terms

The San Jose Earthquakes agreed to terms with their first-ever Designated Player on Monday, former FC Barcelona and Hull City midfielder Geovanni.

The Brazilian attacking midfielder arrived in San Jose on Sunday evening to meet with team officials. After passing a physical Monday morning, he met again with Quakes general manager John Doyle to finalize the details of his contract. Per team policy, the terms were not disclosed.

Geovanni played with Hull City of the English Premier League for the last two seasons, but was released from his contract due to the Tigers' relegation. He previously played one season for Manchester City (2007-08), four for Portuguese club Benfica (2003-2006) and two for FC Barcelona (2001-03).

During his time at Hull, Geovanni scored 13 times in 65 appearances, including the Tigers' first-ever goal in the Premiership in 2008 against Fulham. During the 2008-09 season, Geovanni led the club with eight goals. He was also teammates last season with US striker Jozy Altidore, who spent the campaign on loan at Hull.

Although Geovanni played just one season for Manchester City, he provided the Blues with a memorable moment after scoring the lone goal to upend rival Manchester United on August 19, 2007.

A natural attacking mid, the 30-year-old Geovanni also has experience as a winger and up front.

TFCRegina
08-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Excellent acquisition on their part.

West220Side
08-16-2010, 04:34 PM
San Jose Earthquakes acquire Geovanni as there first Designated Player. Geovanni he's a Brazilian winger/midfielder who has played at clubs like Hull, Benfica, Manchester City, and Barcelona. He seems a little old (30) but he looks like he could be dangerous on the pitch. Can't wait to see what he does for the Earthquakes. The question is, he's a winger - who has a seems to have had a nice career so far. Where was Mo when this guy wanted to come into the MLS? You telling me the guy would rather spend his time in San Jose then Toronto?

Did somebody say Links?

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2010/08/getting-know-geovanni

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2010/08/commentary-geovanni-signing-should-push-quakes-over-hump

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2010/08/geovanni-quakes-agree-terms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geovanni_Deiberson_Maur%C3%ADcio

West220Side
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
:picard:Damn, posted my thread four minutes after yours. While i was typing mine, you were posted yours. I'll have to be quicker next time.

Yeoman
08-16-2010, 04:41 PM
never under estimate the power of yeoman mwahahahaha
man VofH free, and gallas free
WHY HAVEN'T THEY BEEN SIGNED TO THE MLS YET?!?!

CretanBull
08-16-2010, 04:43 PM
He's a great player - his set pieces are amazing -its too bad he's going to a shit team where he'll have no one to play with.

Baggio2TFC
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
WOW!!! Mo sucks B*LLS!!!

Brooker
08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
It's a good thing he's going to a shit MLS team.... he's been used to that the last 2 seasons.

Hitcho
08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Not sure I'd want him at TFC. He's no doubt good compared to the overall level in MLS, but I can't see his heart being in this and he's likely here for a retirement package, plus how will he hold up injury wise?

Still, a good signing for SJE and the league overall I guess. I would personally like to see Mo aim higher than that though, and I bet if he was just announced as our new signing there would be plenty of discontent in among the "phew we finally signed a decnet looking winger" comments.

nascarguy
08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
who the hell is Geovanni

West220Side
08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
never under estimate the power of yeoman mwahahahaha
man VofH free, and gallas free
WHY HAVEN'T THEY BEEN SIGNED TO THE MLS YET?!?!

Redknapp wants Gallas, i'm pretty sure Gallas is in talks with Tottenham.

Link about Redknapp & Gallas: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303228/Harry-Redknapp-fears-hell-fail-bids-sign-William-Gallas-Craig-Bellamy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

CretanBull
08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Not sure I'd want him at TFC. He's no doubt good compared to the overall level in MLS, but I can't see his heart being in this and he's likely here for a retirement package, plus how will he hold up injury wise?

Still, a good signing for SJE and the league overall I guess. I would personally like to see Mo aim higher than that though, and I bet if he was just announced as our new signing there would be plenty of discontent in among the "phew we finally signed a decnet looking winger" comments.

He's better than anyone on our roster....

Roogsy
08-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Shit...this is a great signing for San Jose. They are looking to lock that up final playoff spot at least, which means we will be fighting them AND Chicago (who is 5 points back with 3 games in hand) for that spot.

Ugh...I feel sick.

West220Side
08-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Id rather have him on our wings then LaBrocca or Peterson plus he can also play in the middle, or as a striker. He would be a great addition in my eyes.

JonO
08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
You telling me the guy would rather spend his time in San Jose then Toronto?
For real? A lot of people would... San Jose ain't Columbus...

Hitcho
08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
He's better than anyone on our roster....

I'd phrase it as "he was better than anyone on our roster in his prime and has the potential to be the best player we have, but is equally as likely to do a Ljungberg and be shipped out after a season".

It's very difficult to separate the past players with good history who actually want to commit to MLS and achieve something from those who just want to turn up for the easy pay day and the chance to be the first name on the team sheet. I mean, why did Hull let him go if he was so good and not past his best? It's not like he's from San Jose and returning home. And why didn't he go back to a decent Brazil club for example?

I'm not trying to crap on this signing, it may turn out to be a very shrewd move, I'm just trying to point out it may not be as golden as it's easy to assume it will be. Laurent Robert, anyone?

Hitcho
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Shit...this is a great signing for San Jose. They are looking to lock that up final playoff spot at least, which means we will be fighting them AND Chicago (who is 5 points back with 3 games in hand) for that spot.

Ugh...I feel sick.

On the bright side, it must surely (SURELY) mean the end of Mo if we miss the post season again. I'm not sure what makes me feel more sick actually, the thought of missing the play offs again or the thought of Mo. Tough call. :D

Roogsy
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Laurent Robert hadn't played at the top level in several seasons. He was clearly past his prime. Geovanni has been playing in the EPL and making an impact (off and on) up until last season. How can we really compare the two? This is a heads-up signing. All signings are a coin-toss sure, but some have better odds of turning out well than others. This is the kind of shrewd international move Mo has shown NOT to be able to pull off. Trader Mo's abilities seem limited to College drafts and roster-deals, not international signings in any form.

Hitcho
08-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Fair comment. I'd be happy enough if we had signed him because as has been pointed he's better than what we have right now, definitely on the wings. But would I also be wishing we'd aimed a little higher? Probably. That's all I'm saying, plus his age and motivation are still question marks for me (although I get that I could be proved very wrong on both counts).

West220Side
08-16-2010, 05:06 PM
While on the topic of former Toronto players, Jarrod Smith anyone? 6 appearances 9 goals or how about Pablo Vitti who is 19 appearances and 9 goals. Just saying.

Whoop
08-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Jarrod Smith? He's practically playing semi-pro football.

Roogsy
08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
For real? A lot of people would... San Jose ain't Columbus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2CyQ7Eslg4&feature=related

N2CyQ7Eslg4

Whoop
08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
My problem with Mo is that there's always talk of "we're looking at players" but then... nothing.

Kind of reminds of the whole Brian Burke/Tomas Kaberle situation.

Either be quiet or get off your ass and do what you say you're going to do.

Troll
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
While on the topic of former Toronto players, Jarrod Smith anyone? 6 appearances 9 goals or how about Pablo Vitti who is 19 appearances and 9 goals. Just saying.

'HEY EVERYBODY, LET'S COMPARE APPLES TO ORANGES!'

Roogsy
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
My problem with Mo is that there's always talk of "we're looking at players" but then... nothing.

Kind of reminds of the whole Brian Burke/Tomas Kaberle situation.

Either be quiet or get off your ass and do what you say you're going to do.

QFFT!

CretanBull
08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
I'd phrase it as "he was better than anyone on our roster in his prime and has the potential to be the best player we have, but is equally as likely to do a Ljungberg and be shipped out after a season".

It's very difficult to separate the past players with good history who actually want to commit to MLS and achieve something from those who just want to turn up for the easy pay day and the chance to be the first name on the team sheet. I mean, why did Hull let him go if he was so good and not past his best? It's not like he's from San Jose and returning home. And why didn't he go back to a decent Brazil club for example?

I'm not trying to crap on this signing, it may turn out to be a very shrewd move, I'm just trying to point out it may not be as golden as it's easy to assume it will be. Laurent Robert, anyone?

Hull were forced to let him go because they're broke (like facing bankruptcy broke) - not because he isn't good enough. He was the most influencial player on their team (and highest paid). Its impossible to speculate on what his intentions are, but if he has the same lvl of committment (for better or worse) that we've seen from other DPs I'd take him over anyone on our roster.

Brooker
08-16-2010, 05:27 PM

But they didn't score goals with Toronto. If they played on Saturday for us, they'd be the exact same players they were when they left. It's the team and how well they fit that was the problem.

Brooker
08-16-2010, 05:31 PM
But sometimes he doesn't bring it up it's the reporters asking the questions. In that case it's a no win. Either he lies and says "We aren't looking for anybody." which causes the board to go "WTF Why not?!" or he says "No comment" which causes the board to go "WTF? Why won't he tell us anything?" or he does what he's doing right now. Just ignore what he says. He's an idiot.

prizby
08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
great signing...great to see

TFCRegina
08-16-2010, 05:53 PM
TFC needs to start looking south to Latin America to find some players. And I mean ones that are either proven or up and coming. We need permanent scouts, and we need to get some young guns that we can resell later.

Roogsy
08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
TFC has said scouting in Latin America is too hard and are focusing on Africa. I think it's a real mistake and it will ensure other MLS teams continue to have an advantage over us.

jloome
08-16-2010, 06:35 PM
TFC has said scouting in Latin America is too hard and are focusing on Africa. I think it's a real mistake and it will ensure other MLS teams continue to have an advantage over us.

I don't think they even have a focus. There are a ton of players in this region that would improve our team dramatically.. Shit, there's a striker in the TandT league who scored 48 goals last year. Must make him good for 10-15 in MLS.

I think we have a big issue with DeRo, in that his value to us is 99% as a goal scorer, not a playmaker. But that leaves us without one, really, because we play 2 defensive mids behind him.

Plus ,we have no wing play , really, and very little up-top cohesion.

Lots of heart, though. We might squeak in yet, though I wouldn't lay money down.

Giovanni. Damn.

MartinUtd
08-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow, I'm very impressed by this signing. I would have thought there would be lots of opportunity for Giovanni to find work in Europe still.

Good for MLS.

Roogsy
08-16-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't think they even have a focus. There are a ton of players in this region that would improve our team dramatically.. Shit, there's a striker in the TandT league who scored 48 goals last year. Must make him good for 10-15 in MLS.

Yep, CONCACAF as well, not just CONMEBOL.

But let's lay the cards down shall we? Even IF Africa was their focus, what have we signed from there either? :noidea: Roleplayers that we hope will develop into something special but so far haven't? I am not ragging on Nene or Sanyang. I think they are serviceable and can be a part of something here, but where are the impact players we need?

Of everything we have brought in over the last 12 months, the ONLY impressive signing for me has been Santos.

reggie
08-16-2010, 07:09 PM
i agree about santos...but he is not a mo find,he was cut by chivas and preki had him last year same with gargan a ex chivas player,these are preki players...mo or barry mcclean have done nothing...

MO MUST GO

Darlofletch
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Yep, CONCACAF as well, not just CONMEBOL.

But let's lay the cards down shall we? Even IF Africa was their focus, what have we signed from there either? :noidea: Roleplayers that we hope will develop into something special but so far haven't? I am not ragging on Nene or Sanyang. I think they are serviceable and can be a part of something here, but where are the impact players we need?

Of everything we have brought in over the last 12 months, the ONLY impressive signing for me has been Santos.

Cann?

MartinUtd
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
De Guzman, Mista, Labrocca?

ArmenJBX
08-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Dan mothatruckin' GARGAN???

West220Side
08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Dan mothatruckin' GARGAN???

RELEASEEEE THEEE GARGANN!!!!!111!!!!1

Hitcho
08-16-2010, 08:52 PM
But sometimes he doesn't bring it up it's the reporters asking the questions. In that case it's a no win. Either he lies and says "We aren't looking for anybody." which causes the board to go "WTF Why not?!" or he says "No comment" which causes the board to go "WTF? Why won't he tell us anything?" or he does what he's doing right now. Just ignore what he says. He's an idiot.

That's dangerously close to a defence of Mo there Brooker, and that's not allowed in these parts... :D

ensco
08-16-2010, 11:14 PM
You telling me the guy would rather spend his time in San Jose then Toronto?

My estimate is that 99.7% of the earth's population would choose to live and work in the Bay Area rather than Toronto.

ensco
08-16-2010, 11:24 PM

This is just more Mo BS. The focus on Africa is a league-wide initiative.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=ro-gambians041208
http://www.thebesteleven.com/2010/05/african-players-in-mls-2010.html

Sanyang and Gomez fell into TFC's lap because the Galaxy didn't want them.

Stryker
08-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah well we've got De Guzman...

*sound of crickets

Dub Narcotic
08-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Giovanni actually reminds me a lot of DeRo, an independent-minded offensive player with good athletic and technical skills. I think he's a better fit for this league than someone who relies on a high level of team play to be productive (De Guzman?). Good signing.

CretanBull
08-17-2010, 03:42 AM
^ Stylistically I think that's a fair comparison, but Giovanni's set-piece play is much better than DeRo's...so much so that I think without even having played a game he's the best dead ball player in the league.

spark
08-17-2010, 06:48 AM

As ensco noted - focusing on Africa? Based on ... the two African players who were brought here from MLS, not TFC.

We have to face it, there is no "scouting" with TFC. They 100% rely on their staff (ie. Julian's former teammates, Preki's former players, Mo's Agent buddies) knowing someone to find players, or playing against them in a game, instead of actually doing legwork to uncover someone worthwhile before someone else does.

Oldtimer
08-17-2010, 07:19 AM
i agree about santos...but he is not a mo find,he was cut by chivas and preki had him last year same with gargan a ex chivas player,these are preki players...mo or barry mcclean have done nothing...

MO MUST GO

+1 +++++

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 08:58 AM

MO MUST GO

Agreed, but if you are going to give credit to Preki for a signing like Maicon then you also have to give credit to Mo where credit is due. I'm gonna take a guess at who found who since people always like to single out a person in the hiring process and most people believe the coach signs players around here.

Mo finds
Dero, JDG, Cann, Nana, Gala, Frei, Garcia, Sanyang, Gomez, Nane, OBW, Barrett, Ibrahim, and I'll throw in Brennan and Dichio since obviously he deserves a lot of credit for those two signings.

Preki Finds
Usanov, Hscanovic, Gargan, Santos, Peterson, Labrocca, Harden, Saric?

JDG find
Mista

So as far as I can tell, Mo has done a heck of a lot. To say Mo has done nothing is just silly. The core of this team is built around players Mo has brought in. If you gave me the option of taking one team over the other, hands down Mo's team wins.

ensco
08-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Mo finds
Dero, JDG, Cann, Nana, Gala, Frei, Garcia, Sanyang, Gomez, Nane, OBW, Barrett, Ibrahim, and I'll throw in Brennan and Dichio since obviously he deserves a lot of credit for those two signings.

Dero - handed to TFC on a platter by the league

JDG - 100% an MLSE signing based on his marketing value, Mo didn't "find" him

Garcia - you must be joking

Sanyang and Gomez - signed by the league, allocated to TFC

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 09:08 AM

That's a bunch of bullshit, you have no prove of that. He traded Julius James for him (WHO HE DRAFTED). Simple as that. I don't care for conspiracy theories. The day you come with proof is the day you can claim Mo had nothing to do with the Dero signing.

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Oh, and Sanyang and Gomez were trialed by TFC for a while before they signed them. I remember that clearly. Don't know where you get this that they were "allocated" to TFC. I'm sure if Mo didn't want them he wouldn't have signed them.

reggie
08-17-2010, 09:37 AM
sanyang and gomez were cut by LA,so its not like mo found them on one of his many scouting trips to africa(0)..and yes we traded JJ for dero,hardly a even trade..

ensco
08-17-2010, 09:56 AM
That's a bunch of bullshit, you have no prove of that. He traded Julius James for him (WHO HE DRAFTED). Simple as that. I don't care for conspiracy theories. The day you come with proof is the day you can claim Mo had nothing to do with the Dero signing.

Settle down. It's the interets.

I'm not saying MLS do this all the time, but....the league does certain "things". Like grandfathering the DP exemption that allowed LA to keep Donovan when Beckham signed. Like directing McBride to Chicago and Dero to Toronto, because it made marketing sense, and it's what the players, longtime MLS stalwarts, wanted. (I've always wondered what Houston really got out of all that, btw. There was all this ridiculous talk at the time about how this made sense because Stuart Holden was ready to replace Dero - Holden was "ready" all right, to go to the EPL!).

If you don't see that, that's your right.

Pachuco
08-17-2010, 10:12 AM
sanyang and gomez were cut by LA,so its not like mo found them on one of his many scouting trips to africa(0)..and yes we traded JJ for dero,hardly a even trade..

The intent of my reply wasn't to talk about whether Mo goes on scouting trips or not. It was to challenge your implication that Mo has done nothing and therefore Preki deserves all the credit. I think I just showed that Mo has done something.

Personally, I don't think he's done enough to keep his job (based on 4 seasons) and I hope to God his ass is fired but this concept of Mo having to scout a player himself or he doesn't get credit for the signing is just silly. In every job referalls are a huge part of acquiring new members of the team. It would be silly to say to my boss you don't get credit for building the team that you did since all our hires are pretty much referalls.

rocker
08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
sanyang and gomez were cut by LA,.

cut by LA? they never signed contracts with LA, so they couldn't be cut by LA.

McBrace
08-17-2010, 12:51 PM
cut by LA? they never signed contracts with LA, so they couldn't be cut by LA.

You can be cut frim a tryout no? They weren't released...

rocker
08-17-2010, 12:54 PM
You can be cut frim a tryout no? They weren't released...

I think of being cut from the team as actually being on the team and then dumped.

I trialed for a softball team in grade 8 and didn't make the team (very traumatizing). I wasn't "cut" from the team though, as I never indeed made it. Rohan Ricketts was cut from TFC.

McBrace
08-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I disagree. You were cut.. and Rohan was released. LOL..I'm sure you'll get over it..

Cheers.

rocker
08-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I disagree. You were cut.. and Rohan was released. LOL..I'm sure you'll get over it..

Cheers.

Ah, the many meanings of words... ;)

anyhow, back to the point, did Gomez and Sanyang actually trial with LA? I thought the agent (Mo's buddy) was shopping them around and one of them made a stop in LA. Anyone have an article on this?

Sanyang was too young to play anywhere according to FIFA, so any team taking him on was basically wasting a spot for almost a whole season.

McBrace
08-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Sanyang did, at least that's what I read on a LA Blog site from 2008.. Not sure about Gomez.

Tuesday Morning Call (http://thelagalaxy.blogspot.com/2008/08/tuesday-morning-call.html)

Another busy day is anticipated here at The Home Depot Center as the players will be back on the field today preparing for Thursday night's game against Chivas USA. Additionally, Cobi will address the media for the first time as the club's interim head coach.

With that said, here are a couple of notes to tide you over until we have post-training audio posted later in the day.

There are two new trialists in with the club today as 17-year old defender Amadou Sanyang and 16-year old forward Ebrima Bojang have arrived from Gambia. The length of their trial has not been established, but both will have the chance to train with the squad and show what they're capable of. Both are currently members of the Gambian U-20 National Team.

reggie
08-17-2010, 01:12 PM
i guess we will never know...mo never talks other then that montly show on gol tv.
but im sure he will be scouting the game tonight,i think he may make a few offers after the game tonight..

Yohan
08-17-2010, 01:19 PM
another huge signing for MLS... just 2 years ago, guys like Geovanni would have probably not come to MLS

Voodooman
08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
wow great job by the quakes, he was great for Hull last couple seasons.

McBrace
08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
wow great job by the quakes, he was great for Hull last couple seasons.

I agree 100%.. Lets hope he doesn't play that well for SJ...