PDA

View Full Version : CSL Academy Programs

TFCRegina
08-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, it's fairly old but still interesting.

It looks like the CSL will be taking further steps to establish links between the semi-pro and amateur world. This will likely have an effect on both TFC Academy and Montreal Academy. From the sounds of it, the CSL wants a U-12 to U-18 program, as well as an indoor league.

Since TFC-A is a U-16/U-18 program, I'm assuming this will mean the league will be insisting that they develop U-14 and U-12 extensions?

Thoughts, or actual facts on the matter?

http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/news_archive.php?news_id=280578

The Canadian Soccer League is taking a further serious step to link promising young players to professional soccer and it will all begin this coming November.

The CSL Youth Development System will kickoff an indoor schedule mid-November to start an all-year round academy-style program structured to provide competition, high calibre skills training and professional development for promising players wanting to accelerate their progress in the sport.

A CSL policy introduced for the first time this season requires new CSL clubs to be connected to youth soccer in the professional team’s community, and the CSL will work with community based clubs to deliver this new exciting and progressive program while adhering to the CSA’s Wellness to World Cup, Long Term Player Development framework.

“The CSL Youth Development System is intended to be more than just somewhere to play,” said Domenic Di Gironimo, commissioner of the CSL, who for some time now has emphasized a need for Canadian soccer to bridge the gap and provide that missing next step for promising young players who find themselves with nowhere to go. ‘The Gap’ – a long-standing impediment to producing players for higher levels, including Canada’s national teams, has been identified as a reason Canada has fallen behind in world soccer. “Canadian soccer should be producing many more good young players from the ever-increasing number of registrations across the country,” says Di Gironimo.

Recent discussions with CSA National Teams’ scouting staff centered on improving the role of CSL coaches in identifying athletes, and creating a formalized link between the two organizations. The CSL intends to work with the OSA and other provinces to establish a similar relationship to assist with the development of players for Provincial Teams.

CSL league administrator Pino Jazbec, who will oversee the CSL’s year-round program, will have the new league operating both indoor and outdoor competitions, boys and girls, young men and young women. The year-round program is intended to address the longstanding criticism from high level coaches that compared to most other countries, the Canadian outdoor season is too short.

The league is announcing an indoor program that will have teams in four divisions from U12 (9 vs. 9) and U14 years through U18 (11 vs. 11) playing one game each week from November through April, followed by a break before the outdoor season takes over.

All players, non-playing staff and the competition will be under CSA/OSA rules of governance, while league rules will be in accordance with the CSL Rules and Regulations.

The CSL, with teams in Ontario and Quebec and which at the beginning of this year came directly under CSA governance, presently has 13 teams in its First Division and 10 in the Reserve Division and is planning expansion to other parts of Canada.

Bob Iarusci, a former Canadian national team player who gained prominence with Toronto Metros-Croatia and New York Cosmos in the North American Soccer League, who has maintained high interest in Canada’s progress as a soccer-developing nation over the years and who has followed CSL games closely this season, was pleased when advised of the CSL’s plans for professional youth development.

" I am very impressed with the CSL standard of play and the quality of the player base. The emphasis on developing young Canadian talent through the CSL clubs is so important. Special mention should go to the new clubs like Milton, Brantford and Hamilton Croatia. It will be exciting to follow the results over the next few months. I believe we are in for some great games towards the end of the season," he said.

Enquiries regarding the CSL Youth Development League should go to the CSL office at info@canadiansoccerleague.ca telephone 905 564-2297, toll-free 1-888-216-9913.

Media enquiries to 416 580-5439.

Yeoman
08-15-2010, 01:23 PM
stoked about this personally
hopefully london city finally steps up and starts to develop more players outside of london
not sure why they don't, considering the territory they could hypothetically contorl

TFCRegina
08-15-2010, 02:08 PM
^ Yeah, i think it's great that they're talking about bringing in indoor leagues for the youth and having professional coaching. This is exactly what we need to do to develop a stronger program. More time to practice and play competitively with professional coaching will lead to a stronger link between the Amateur and semi-pro levels. And that will make it easier to make the jump from the semi-pro to pro if they're capable.

Preparation in a professional environment can only serve to help Canadian football.

Keystone FC
08-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, it's fairly old but still interesting.

It looks like the CSL will be taking further steps to establish links between the semi-pro and amateur world. This will likely have an effect on both TFC Academy and Montreal Academy. From the sounds of it, the CSL wants a U-12 to U-18 program, as well as an indoor league.

Since TFC-A is a U-16/U-18 program, I'm assuming this will mean the league will be insisting that they develop U-14 and U-12 extensions?

Thoughts, or actual facts on the matter?

http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/news_archive.php?news_id=280578
Well, this would be incongress with the BC news article saying the CSL is looking into becoming a true national league.
With the BC article and now this I wonder if the CSL is looking to become a an actual Div. I league?
I also wonder what the CSA is thinking about all of this, or if they even know this is even going on.
Could the CSL supercede the CSA for divisional status and go right to FIFA? I know this is jumping into future but this thing with the CSL is catching steam and with the new standards from the USSF it looks like Canadian clubs will NEED to create a Canadian league sooner than thought.

TFCRegina
08-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Well, this would be incongress with the BC news article saying the CSL is looking into becoming a true national league.
With the BC article and now this I wonder if the CSL is looking to become a an actual Div. I league?
I also wonder what the CSA is thinking about all of this, or if they even know this is even going on.
Could the CSL supercede the CSA for divisional status and go right to FIFA? I know this is jumping into future but this thing with the CSL is catching steam and with the new standards from the USSF it looks like Canadian clubs will NEED to create a Canadian league sooner than thought.

The CSA knows what's going on. They sanctioned the CSL for Division 3 status for the first time this year. So the CSL is a national league by definition. However, the de facto situation is that it operates in two provinces. CSL is likely going to operate at this Div 3/Developmental level in sort of a CHL setup I think.

Keystone FC
08-16-2010, 09:42 AM
The CSA knows what's going on. They sanctioned the CSL for Division 3 status for the first time this year. That's right. I forgot about that.

So the CSL is a national league by definition. However, the de facto situation is that it operates in two provinces. CSL is likely going to operate at this Div 3/Developmental level in sort of a CHL setup I think.
I wonder if after the mentioned expansion into possibly other provinces if they would be bumped up to Div 2?

East Ham
08-16-2010, 10:45 AM
The CSL does plan to expand..from what I hear they are looking to go out East first and kinda do it in baby steps and then eventually try to head out West...

As for the youth teams...its an excellent idea...im currently playin in CSL reserve league and I came from a mens amateur team. Having somewhere to develop at a younger age and get used to a professional environment is just what the CSL needs.

Macksam
08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I wonder if after the mentioned expansion into possibly other provinces if they would be bumped up to Div 2?
I think they want to work their way up to becoming Division 2.

The CSL does plan to expand..from what I hear they are looking to go out East first and kinda do it in baby steps and then eventually try to head out West...

I thought they wanted to go west first?

East Ham
08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Really? hm....I heard they were going to try to get a few teams in Quebec and then maybe a team even further East. Ah well as long as the league gets bigger and expands outside of Ontario right?

Macksam
08-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Really? hm....I heard they were going to try to get a few teams in Quebec and then maybe a team even further East. Ah well as long as the league gets bigger and expands outside of Ontario right?

Oh, well yeah, Quebec expansion will probably come naturally and be continuous throughout the next couple of years.

As for the rest, I'm all for it. Have a BC division, a western division, Ontario division, and a Quebec/Atlantic division.

razor787
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I would love it if they did something like that. Have the BC, Western, Ontario, Quebec/Atlantic. Each league could award 2 teams to a tournament, with the winner getting a spot in the Nutrilite Championship. Would build canadian soccer dramatically.

ren989
08-16-2010, 11:34 AM
From the interviews I've heard, I believe the next step is to set up an Eastern Ontario/Quebec division in the CSL. I guess teams in the Ottawa area make sense as well as bringing back Trois Riviere? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

TFCRegina
08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
I'll start with posting this here and copy it to the V's board.

Simple thing about the USSF standards...it's actually not all that big of a threat.

First: NCAA, the primary development tool, alongside PDL does not provide enough development for American players. What this means is that American development is not going to improve, not through these mediums. The US has very little invested into college soccer, so we can foreseeably see the NCAA having much success. PDL has a lot of very amateur soccer as well. There are few good programs (and a lot of the good ones are located in Canada).

Second: Div 2 and Div 3 soccer in the US is a mess. Teams are barely stable and not a lot of development takes place there. Players that are developed tend to end up in Europe rather than MLS. The Div2/Div3 mess from USL/NASL has actually worked to Canada's favour, because with Montreal and Van City moving up, we're getting more teams, even if we're capped at 25%. Not a big deal I say, even with the domestic rules.

Why don't the domestic rules concern me? That's how they've been operating the whole time in USL/NASL. Canadians and Americans count as domestics and yet Vancouver and Montreal still employed large numbers of Canadians to Americans.

Third: Canada has seen strong division three growth and, as evidenced above, this will continue. However, MLSE needs to open the wallet (along with Saputo and Kerfoot) and be willing to pay small to medium transfer fees to pillage the CSL of talent. It's right there and they're improving the development of players as we speak. The US is not implementing anything comparable, and their Div2/Div3 is starting to fail due to heavy infighting. Team insolvency has existed in Canada in the past, but the CSL seems to be getting things right this time.

Point Four: There's still a lot of (young) Canadians being released from European clubs (sometimes Div 1 and Div 2) and these bring experience with them back to Canada and likely can compete. The level of MLS is going to slow in growth over the next five years because the quality of NCAA/PDL isn't enough to supply the needs of the league.

Point Five: Even if MLS clubs develop Academies, their academies will supply their own needs and not Canadian needs. Canadian clubs will have academies with Canadians (primarily anyway), American clubs will have academies with Americans, and these will exclusively provide talent to them.

Point Six: Americans are ultimately going to want to play at home, in their home markets. It doesn't mean that they can't play in Canada, but guys like Gargan and Barrett will likely end up in Philly and Portland, respectively, as much as I like both players.

Any questions?