PDA

View Full Version : Toronto CONCACAF Page

MartinUtd
08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I've gotta nit pick for a moment, so if you'll indulge me...

Here's the direct link to the standings page on CONCACAF (so you don't have to mess around with the pop up when navigating from the home page)

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Standings/0,,12856,00.html

How come we don't get to be "Toronto FC" but royal mormon get their preferred "Real Salt Lake"?

Also, who is Michelle Lissle? Because her phone number and email are the only info provided about the team.

Thirdly, why is CONCACAF so bad? I mean, I know it's never going to be UEFA in its presentation, but they're really missing the mark on the little stuff.

That is all. Thank you.

Bars92
08-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Well its better than the 'FC' which is what people say around here.

ilikemusic
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I for one appreciate that CONCACAF doesnt feel the need to add the superfluous 'FC' at the end of our name.

Almost every club on earth is 'Something FC', but we are one of the few that treats the 'FC' like an actual nickname.

I realize there are extenuating circumstances, most places with an 'FC' club dont have multiple pro sports teams like Toronto, but I still dont like it and I never have.

CanadaLFC
08-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I for one appreciate that CONCACAF doesnt feel the need to add the superfluous 'FC' at the end of our name.

Almost every club on earth is 'Something FC', but we are one of the few that treats the 'FC' like an actual nickname.

I realize there are extenuating circumstances, most places with an 'FC' club dont have multiple pro sports teams like Toronto, but I still dont like it and I never have.

Agree with this completely. We feel the need over-use "Toronto FC"...where FC is supposed to be a given. If you watch our broadcasts the commentators always say "Toronto FC this" and "Toronto FC that", to the point where it gets annoying.

MartinUtd
08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Don't commentators threw around "TFC" a lot, too?
And I was always more annoyed by the over willingness of some to correct people for saying "FC" as if they could be talking about some other "FC" in the locale.

ilikemusic has a point though, I just noticed the other shortenings. It does seem a little inconsistent with the likes of Real Salt Lake, Puerto Rico Islanders.

loconet
08-12-2010, 07:29 PM

+1

If we are comparing CONCACAF with UEFA, UEFA doesn't always add "FC" to the clubs on their webpages for the CL either.

Super
08-12-2010, 07:30 PM
LOL that's kinda funny. Toronto (no FC), Real Salt Lake, Columbus Crew, Seattle Sounders. Hey, at least we're not listed as FC Toronto.

Canary Canuck
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
The CONCACAF site also knocked off acronyms from other team names. CSD Municipal is listed as Municipal, and several other clubs with CD (Club Deportivo) or CF (Club de Futbol) at the start of their name don't have it listed.

CanadaLFC
08-12-2010, 08:56 PM
And I was always more annoyed by the over willingness of some to correct people for saying "FC" as if they could be talking about some other "FC" in the locale.

ilikemusic has a point though, I just noticed the other shortenings. It does seem a little inconsistent with the likes of Real Salt Lake,ot Puerto Rico Islanders.

IMO, thats not the point. Calling a a team "FC" sounds very gay and uneducated(football-wise). You don't hear Chelsea/Liverpool fans calling their team FC....its like saying we're going to go watch "hockey team" when reffering to the leafs. Whats next? We start calling them "the efcees".

Kaz
08-12-2010, 09:22 PM
They didn't do that for any of the clubs, the Athletic Clubs are all dropped off too.

twistedchinaman
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM

ilikemusic has a point though, I just noticed the other shortenings. It does seem a little inconsistent with the likes of Real Salt Lake, Puerto Rico Islanders.

Thing is their identity is forged from a cheezy made up name. We're not.

Torontotonto
08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
TFC
LEAFS
ARGOS
JAYS
RAPTORS

Let's end this talk and get to the real challenge.
Cruz Azulies, sure hope Santos and Barrett can go.

We have to try and hold them off the sheet at home, and hope for a win in Mexico city.

Miracle in Montreal, why not Mexico.

Come on you REDS

kodiakTFC
08-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Yep. Agreed 100%.

Brooker
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
that's not a mistake. we're so sick all they need to say is Toronto.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/2375254148_3201d51045_o.gif

Yohan
08-13-2010, 12:31 AM
dont we haVe better things to bitch about?

Yagbod
08-13-2010, 01:05 AM

Seriously. I never rain on threads, but I don't get this one.

Slow news day.

Stryker
08-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Who.... the fuck.... cares.
Seriously.

Oldtimer
08-13-2010, 07:34 AM
When they discuss our team in Europe (which isn't that often), they always say "Toronto." The "FC" is superfluous.

Fort York Redcoat
08-13-2010, 08:06 AM

When they discuss our team in Europe (which isn't that often), they always say "Toronto." The "FC" is superfluous.

I agree with ilike but for OT's reasoning. I try to drop the FC as much in convo with peeps I know that are in the know. This is my way of slowly permeating the minds of Torontonians to realize their is really only one team when you say :scarf:

prizby
08-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Exactly!!

AND when you discuss other European teams do you say for example

Arsenal or Arsenal FC
Chelsea or Chelsea FC
Barcelona or FC Barcelona

and so on...

MartinUtd
08-13-2010, 08:25 AM

No we don't. Slow news day. Just trying to fuck around.

Take your pick and don't be so god damn serious all the time.

Chevy
08-13-2010, 08:33 AM
^^ FC Damn Serious?

Not a bad name......

Shway
08-13-2010, 09:04 AM
The reason why theres no FC at the end is because FC isnt our nickname!!!!!

when you say Liverpool to do you say Liverpool FC, NO
Real Salt Lake, Columbus Crew, Sounders are part of the teams name!!!
or else Seattle would have Seattle Sounders FC, but they dont...

get my gist?

Manchester "United", Mancehster 'City", Blackburn "Rovers,
as oppose to
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa

EDIT: yea.....didnt read the other post

trane
08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Seriously.

Nobodies says AC Milan, or Internazionale FC, or ASC Roma, but Milan, Inter, Roma, and it goes on and on. People are realy looking for shit to complain about.

Oldtimer
08-13-2010, 09:53 AM
No we don't. Slow news day. Just trying to fuck around.

Take your pick and don't be so god damn serious all the time.

Given that, we'll close this thread.