seems like we've seen this before.

TFC certainly had it's chances though.
Peterson, OBW with some big misses.

Although Angel had some misses as well.

Lets hope the injuries aren't serious.

Vince Whirlwind
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
OBW looked awful...
LaBrocca's passing all night was horrendous...
JDG not much APU
DeRo holds onto the ball too long and those "field goal" attempts....never work.

Squad looks a little run down. Not enough depth on MLS squads.
That being said, TFC didn't quit on the game.

Garcia actually looked pretty good for the most part!

ren989
08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Never really felt like they were going to score the entire night. Not a good sign.

justin
08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
this takes me back to year one, something along the lines of....we're red, we're white, our team is fucking shite....mista is useless, you could barely tell he was on the pitch. OBW is terrible, labrocca and peterson can't play a dangerous ball to save their lives. JDG should not be our DP. overall, very very discouraging match to watch.

Oldtimer
We really missed Barrett. As soon as he was off, there were significantly fewer opportunities.

SteeltownBhoy
How many shots on goal did TFC have?? I believe NY could have played without a keeper and still not lost!!

Blowing Bubbles
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Mista blows.

Need Barrett & Santos to have speedy recoveries .... I have a sinking feeling we're going to get f'd both ways with the extra 6 CCL games on their way.

Alixir
well that was quite shite...how the fuck they can go from absolutely dominating the first 15 min, connecting passes, anticipating plays, to playing like they don't have their heads in the game...
Attention TFC....road points count toward the playoffs too!

DangerRed
Better than I expected.

We looked dangerous out the gate and our backline held up reasonably well save for a pair of mistakes.

Tough road loss, fatigue's setting in and guys are getting injured.

Hope next week doesn't prove we got more than we wished for when we advanced in the CCL.

Very road-loaded part of the schedule's coming up. I think it'll be very very unlikely that we'll make the playoffs unless we start picking up road points.

Feels like same time last year, all over again...

smtavare
08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
time for mojo must go thread to heat up again:picard:

Oldtimer
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
At this rate, Mo should start cleaning out his desk. Never mind whatever threads are on a board.

TFC USA
Fuck Peterson. Garcia will probably score before Jacob.

sully
same old story... Although they had the chances they don't have the quality to finish. With Barret out and Mista not being a finisher but better in other ways and White not good enough meant no goal. DeGuz proved once again that he can't keep up physically in this league and our midfield was outdone largely. DeRo huffed and puffed and showed heart but without better players around him that'll only go so far. I thought the defence did well overall though. God I hate Energy Drink NY.

ArmenJBX
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Frei- only player worth keeping.
Usanov - more like uselessnov.
Nana - did good, as usual.
Cann - same
Garcia - a stupid fucking old man who should find himself a retirement home. E-fucking-nough of his shit.
Nane - that's right folks were the only team who consistantly start a fourth round draft pick. Fuck me.
De Guzman - Comparable to a poodle, puffy hair, all bark, no bite, and rolls around in the grass like that one kid in school who ha lice and ate glue.
DeRosario - utter shite today...
Peterson - did someone say Chad Barrett 2.0.
LaBrocca - looked so tired and gave no effort.
Barrett - were fucked if he's out.
Mista - please get in shape quickly.
Ibrahim - where do we even find clowns like him!?!??

In closing, we have a shit team away from home and someone needs to tell them that soccer is actually played with, I dunno, effort.

Other notes: stop passing back to frei, don't give it to him unless he needs it. Work with each other, because eventually a mistak will be made and hoofing it up the field only harms us.

SteeltownBhoy
08-11-2010, 08:38 PM
So JDG suspended for next league game for yellow cards!!

Vince Whirlwind
08-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't say Mista blows...what service did he get at all?? He always had three guys on him immediately, but made a beautiful pass to OBW who proceeds to stumble over the ball.

He's not gonna blow by guys with speed, but plays a good holding game to compliment the other striker and has shown some good footwork.

Alixir
08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
with JDG suspended the next league match...we will see how much of an impact he has had on this team.

Ataxia
08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Outside of the first 20, an off game for Dero. What is he carrying the ball into traffic like that for? Why is he constantly back passing and looking to give the shot to someone else when he actually has the finishing ability? OBW too! get the fuck out of here... Kid needs some confidence and trust in his first touch. Do we even want to test the keeper? It just looked like no one was willing to man up tonight.

Oldtimer
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM

:eek6: You're in a bad mood tonight!

H Bomb
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Very poor second half. we had absolutely no midfield presence, which as usual had a lot to do with everyone standing still waiting for the ball. Mista has great vision and touch but needs other players to move around him to be effective....and he needs to be given the ball on occasion. this game made me mad

TFC USA
08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I think our season will start to crumble if we lose the home game against New York in 10 days.

Vince Whirlwind
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Garcia had the best strike on goal all night...haha...even that missed!

H Bomb

thats pretty awesome ya know

sully
I wouldn't say Mista blows...what service did he get at all?? He always had three guys on him immediately, butmade a beautiful pass to OBW who proceeds to stumble over the ball.

He's not gonna blow by guys with speed, but plays a good holding game to compliment the other striker and has shown some good footwork.

Agreeed. Mista is a good addition...but he can provide all the service he can, if it's not used then what else can he do?

What annoyed me about Mista was that he was laughing and having a great time with Henry at the end of the game...

jimiv
Although I hate to blame the refs, it did appear they were a bit bias towards NYRB, that being said TFC did look great at first and then just packed it in. Sure

Sucks when Garcia gets one of the best chances for a goal all night!

sully
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
with JDG suspended the next league match...we will see how much of an impact he has had on this team.

I suspect not much at all...

jloome
08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Basically New York just pressured the ball high and quickly all game. How we didn't adapt to that is beyond me.

No movement off the ball. It's like they're dazzled to be on the same field as Joel Lindpere, or something.

jloome
08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Agreeed. Mista is a good addition...but he can provide all the service he can, if it's not used then what else can he do?

What annoyed me about Mista was that he was laughing and having a great time with Henry at the end of the game...

He's a superb talent, good target forward. we're lucky to have him. fitness still seems too much an issue, though.

ArmenJBX
08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Sorry I'm kinda flustered, I meant like, he's the new old Barrett. Does that make sense? :D

kaos197O
08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Preki not happy when asked about deguz picking up his 5th yellow.....didn't really answer her questions....just rolled his eyes, tapped his foot and turned RED

ArmenJBX
08-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Why are we so poor away though? It doesn't make sense, how can playing in one place make you worse then another place...?

daner90
08-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I was actually impressed yet again with Nane. He actually tried to move the ball in the midfield with some quick short passes opposed to hoofing upfield to no one like everyone else does.

In a game where 4 DPs took the field you would have guessed all 4 played for the Shite Bulls. That being said I don't think it is Mista's fault, I agree he needs service from somebody out there. When does the next transfer window open so we can loan out JDG

Alixir
08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Maybe Mo thought he was getting the other deGuzman...

Boondaddy
08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
The best part of this match was Andi Petrillo...

Vince Whirlwind
08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
At this rate, Mo should start cleaning out his desk. Never mind whatever threads are on a board.

Unfortunately, I think qualifying for the group stages in Champions league (e.g. more games, more $$$) keeps him in the fold even if we miss the playoffs again.

It's all that "5 year plan" BS...

Alixir
08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
The best part of this match was Andi Petrillo... agreed

Kevvv
08-11-2010, 08:55 PM
The best part of this match was Andi Petrillo...

Even there, I would have her tone down the eye make-up before hitting the clubs. Still, beats the hell out of looking at Craig Forrest :D

Batman
08-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Why are we so poor away though? It doesn't make sense, how can playing in one place make you worse then another place...?

I was talking to my wife and wondering about that too.

I don't see why home field is so important too.

It's not like there is a legislated advantage the way there is in some sports: a la last shift change in hockey, or even more important the last half of the inning, so always batting last in baseball.

Especially the baseball one I see as a meaningful advantage.

But I don't get it in soccer.

Does it all come down the the STYLE, FORMATION, and STRATEGY they play on the road, being different to that at home?

Are they trying to WIN at home, and happy to TIE on the road?

I really don't get it.

CoachGT
08-11-2010, 08:59 PM

Could playing in front of supportive fans give you bigger cojones?

Dub Narcotic
I thought JdG played pretty well. TFC, to become a great MLS team, not a slightly-above-average MLS team like they are now, just needs more offensive weapons. Right now, they have Barrett, De Rosario and Maicon that actually can create. The team can really only have one of Peterson, LaBrocca, White and Ibrahim on the field if they want to generate attacking threats.

sully
Preki not happy when asked about deguz picking up his 5th yellow.....didn't really answer her questions....just rolled his eyes, tapped his foot and turned RED

Probably the hardest part of his job is listening to idiots. In fairness, what else can he do...

gtaguy
08-11-2010, 09:00 PM
come on ppl did we seriously think we were going to win this game?. WE knew from the start that this team does not compete against the better teams in this league..
We are atleast 2 years away from glory.. However when it comes to concacaf championship something tells me that a few players from this club will pull it off.... MLS championship will haunt us for some years..

CoachGT
08-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Are they trying to WIN at home, and happy to TIE on the road?

I think that we've had the result despite poor showings in several of our home games. Tell me last weekend that you were confident that we'd hold a 2-1 lead through the final 15 minutes! I was nervous as hell!

As much as we're "better" defensively, I believe a lot of that has to do with better central defence and Frei, but I don't think we're that much better than any other MLS team at the back, we've now moved up to average.

There is a lot of missed marking and too many uncontested runs, not to mention free headers, for us to be that strong defensively.

Batman
08-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Could playing in front of supportive fans give you bigger cojones?

Well I suspect the fans could have a slight difference, but really, TFC is like night and day at home vs. away. As much as I like the think the supporters make a difference it's hard to know how we / they could make enough difference as to be responsible for the discrepancy TFCs home vs. away record.

Oldtimer
08-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Well I suspect the fans could have a slight difference, but really, TFC is like night and day at home vs. away. As much as I like the think the supporters make a difference it's hard to know how they could make enough difference as to be responsible for the discrepancy TFCs home vs. away record.

A study in the EPL found that home support was worth almost a goal a game. If that applies in MLS, with a grind-it-out low scoring team like TFC, a goal could make the difference.

Batman
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
A study in the EPL found that home support was worth almost a goal a game. If that applies in MLS, with a grind-it-out low scoring team like TFC, a goal could make the difference.

WOW. A goal a game. Yes, that would do it, given we rarely score 1 on the road.

I guess another factor that could lead to this is the possible unintentional change in how a game is officiated for the home team as well. I'm not saying blatent bias, but I suspect there's some instinctive bias based upon pleasing the crowd, as well. (Unless it's Mr. Toledo, in Toronto, that is.)

Derko
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
this takes me back to year one, something along the lines of....we're red, we're white, our team is fucking shite....mista is useless, you could barely tell he was on the pitch. OBW is terrible, labrocca and peterson can't play a dangerous ball to save their lives. JDG should not be our DP. overall, very very discouraging match to watch.

The 2 De's, DeRosario and DeGuzman look like shit, they are supposed to be the sparkplugs for TFC, another piss poor effort by the both of them, and the team as a whole, even Frei had his scary moments!!
The rant is over, hopefully a good game on Tuesday and then again on Saturday.

:picard:

08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I hate to say this, but Sutton was PRIME to giving up the game tonight.

Two or three shots on target would have paid dividends - no doubt about it.

He looked rusty, and out of sorts. Yet we failed to ask a question of him tonight.

Darlofletch
08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I really don't think it was as terrible as some people are saying. We were solid defensively, they had a lot fewer chances than they did against chicago for example.

We had some good spells of possession, especially the first 10 minutes or so. Not sure exactly what happened to change the game, but they had a good spell of pressure before they scored.

Barrett getting injured was key, Mista was fairly anonymous, and until white came on, it looked like we were playing with no forwards. same as the chivas game after santos and barrett went off. We improved when white came on and started creating chances again, unfortunately they generally fell to white, and he never looked likely to score, though he did alright to create that one chance for himself.

Overall, we weren't terrible but never really lloked like we were going to come back, I doubt any red bull fans were biting their nails like TFC fans are when we're up by one in the last few minutes.

Peterson, ibbe, obie, just not good enough.
de guzman was alright going forward, keeping possession well if not really looking like he was going to provide a killer pass, he was a bit soft defensively, falling over while trying to tackle twice in the build up to the goal, preki was saying it was a foul but I don't really see that.
De Ro tried really hard, but didn't really have it going on, and after peterson fucked up, he kept trying to do too much himself, what was he thinking with that free kick.

Cann had a really good game, frei, nana, garcia, labrocca were ok, nothing special, usanov just about survived at rb. aside from the one chance for white, mista did nothing.

overall, bah!, but not quite as bah as some of you seem to feel.

Derko
08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I thought JdG played pretty well. TFC, to become a great MLS team, not a slightly-above-average MLS team like they are now, just needs more offensive weapons. Right now, they have Barrett, De Rosario and Maicon that actually can create. The team can really only have one of Peterson, LaBrocca, White and Ibrahim on the field if they want to generate attacking threats.

I know JDG is supposed to be the link up to the forwards but in my mind right now I think he holds on to the ball far too long and brings the ball back too often, maybe it is his only option, but it is frustrating to watch.

canadian_bhoy
08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
We've been playing the one goal style all season. It was working out for a while - we were getting all the results and even stealing some draws/wins that we didn't have business getting.

Now we're seeing the other side of the coin and it sucks.

Play to win - don't play not to lose.

Seems pretty harsh to hear ppl calling DeRo shit though. He's the freakin soul of our team. He and Frei are the only reason we're even in this.

TFC USA
08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Look, we have teams chasing us in the playoff race with games in hand.

As far as I'm concerned other than DC we will not win another road game in the league. So it is with huge consequence we get draws on the road and home victories. Anything else and we're fucked.

Fort York Redcoat
08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
The final third was a void for us. Not till late did we see long balls into and around the box. Garcia had the best shot of the game.

OBW best chance blown.

DOMIN8R
08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
On my BB
RB SGs are beginning to look sophisticated
Our away support is amazing even if half the TFC fans refuse to wear colours and sit among the masses
I wonder what Preki wrote on that little white piece of paper that Ibby handed to DeRo when he came on
The RB stadium is impressive
The roof makes a huge impact on accoustics
Ensco is set to finally become an RPB
After seeing KD once again at an away game - I really wich he would keep his shirt on
Overall, I prefered last night's game at Meadowlands... Just saying

TFC USA
08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh yeah speaking of OBW I think his time is up.

Unless he has an open fucking net he's a donkey. Showed flashes of brilliance but way too much Heskeyness and laziness. I think we have to offload him at some point.

Darlofletch
08-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Hopefully barrett and santos aren't too injured, we really need at least one of them up there to pressure and stretch the defence and create room for de ro and hopefully mista to do something creative. without a real forward up there, the opposition defence can focus on pressuring de ro and mista, rather than those two being able to come from deep. and our wide midfielders really don't have the pace to cause problems.

white was ok in that respect, having a forward on opened it up again, but he doesn't really inspire confidence that he'll finish chances, so we need at least one of those two to come back soon. when they were both going well against chivas, it was probably our best half of the season.

anto7
08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Mista does show the occasional touch of class but if he was playing on any other team I would hate him. He is a whiney bastard and a sneaky dirty fucker too.
What we could do with someone of Angel's ability on our team. Even though Nana did reasonably well Angel got behind him on several occasions. I think we could be so much more of a better team if we had someone like him up front.

dow117
08-11-2010, 09:28 PM

I very rarely post on the board, but after a loss, its the same old banter...
I don't know what game you watched but TO played well and were unlucky not get something out of the game. When I hear all the negatives about JDG , I just cannot believe that people that watch this game cannot see his value .. whenever we lose, its the same old 'everyone's useless " routine. Unless you score: you are useless!!.
Go jump on the winner only bandwagon - the team played well and with heart.- a little luck, a less bias official and a little more quality on the ball by OBW and it could have been different.
That's the last from me for awhile .....

DOMIN8R
08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Also, despite the poor attendance - it was an intimidating place for our boys play!

Darlofletch
08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm being driven nuts by the tv work in every single away game. replays and reaction shots/close ups while the game is going on! so many times, it kills me. why do the americans do such a worse job than the canadians. cbc, sportsnet, gol, they're all miuch better.

TFC USA
08-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I notice that we never seem to win when we have to deal with remarkably shitty commentators.

I just hate listening to Shep Messing.

Heart of Stone
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Insightful post ... will watch with interest.

Darlofletch
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM
On my BB
Our away support is amazing even if half the TFC fans refuse to wear colours and sit among the masses
I wonder what Preki wrote on that little white piece of paper that Ibby handed to DeRo when he came on
After seeing KD once again at an away game - I really wich he would keep his shirt on

were the red bulls selling tickets for the away section other than through the sg's? (I just discovered seattle isn't, and presumably ny was thinking they'd sell more tickets to their own fans what with henry, so didn't want to give too many away tickets) if not people probably had to buy tickets in regular sections, in which case I wouldn't blame them for not wearing colours.

Shakes McQueen
08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I thought we looked decent early in the game, but we lost major steam when Barrett was out.

It was a tough road loss, but not a disaster. We need to make sure we come back at them better when we play them at home.

- Scott

Blowing Bubbles
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't say Mista blows...what service did he get at all?? He always had three guys on him immediately, but made a beautiful pass to OBW who proceeds to stumble over the ball.

Guess what, "that guy" is not walking through the door.

It's the sad reality of the DP system. If in order to play optimally a DP is heavily reliant on others, you are not going to get your money's worth.

Somehow we managed to get the 2 DP's in this league that are reliant on min wagers to be at their best.

This team needs to invest in scouting and scour S. America to find our Freddy Montero

rocker
08-11-2010, 10:01 PM

in every sport, teams play worse on the road. travel probably has a lot to do with it.

Boondaddy
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
We played okay...but I'm tired of the inconsistent passing and piss poor finishing. It's so frustrating because this team does have the ability...if ONLY we had someone that can smell blood in the box.

Skinner
08-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't know what game you watched but TO played well and were unlucky not get something out of the game. When I hear all the negatives about JDG , I just cannot believe that people that watch this game cannot see his value .. whenever we lose, its the same old 'everyone's useless " routine. Unless you score: you are useless!!.
Go jump on the winner only bandwagon - the team played well and with heart.- a little luck, a less bias official and a little more quality on the ball by OBW and it could have been different.

Agreed

Torontotonto
08-11-2010, 10:09 PM

That's an easy one to answer ?
It's called the BUNKER

12th man X 22,000

Thought the game started out on a good pace for us, but looked tired in 2nd half, lot of missed opportunties tonight, just couldn't make them count.

We'll get them back at BMO a week Saturday, but we will need all the supporters to bring it on big time...starting with Cruz Azul

Come on you REDS

Carts
08-11-2010, 10:15 PM

This is kind of funny, as you rag on some people for having an opinion about one player - then go on to give your own personal jab at another...

You can't have your cake and eat it to my friend...

This game can be summed up very easy - GOALS WIN GAMES...

We lack that finishing touch. We lack that strikeforce or strike partnership that strikes fear in our opponents when we have the ball in the attcking 3rd of the pitch...

Its not just OBW (as you decided to point out, yet called out other posters for calling out the player they are not happy with), its out entire "attack" as a whole...

There are some new players to fit in (Mista, Santos, etc) and that takes time to gel (the bad thing about building a team mid-season), but we need it to gel, and gel fast...

One man, one player, one striker, one designated player WON'T DO IT... You defend as a team, you attack as a team, you play as a team...

Carts...

Pachuco
08-11-2010, 10:15 PM
I would trade our DP for Tony Tchani in a heart beat. And by that I mean a straight up trade, 1 for 1.

Yagbod
08-11-2010, 10:18 PM
It was a loss. I don't think we got blown away. Quality of play on both sides was the usual atrocious.

I think we really missed Gargan tonight. Nane was not functioning...

Heart of Stone
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
The pet excuse for J. Peterson's poor play is that he didn't have a training camp. Jason Devos repeated this tonight ... becoming less believable now that we are 19 games in.

We missed Gargan... Usanov was exposed several times... this taxed Attakora and Cann more than usual ... Garcia played well given the quality of the Red Bulls attack.

The ref's popeye biceps must have been used in the KFC commercial...

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd be tempted to say Garcia was the TFC man of the match. Team still needs one more attacking player, preferably someone with some speed.

TFCRegina
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
We weren't that bad but were hampered by injuries and such. Barrett's absence later on hurt us deeply. God OB White is useless...

jazzy
08-11-2010, 10:38 PM
We really missed Barrett. As soon as he was off, there were significantly fewer opportunities.

I'm a past Barrett frustrated non-supporter, I'll heartely eat my words, and admire his class, but I wish he was quicker , his overall tenaciousness and effort would be huge if he was fast, he is always caught on breaks....he still and always will have a high missed opportunity to goal ratio...what was he thinking when DeRo was trying to pass to him early into the game and he didn't run to goal but veared left.....still I understand why he is well liked and I too admit my it's my frustrations in critisizing him

Yagbod
08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
what was he thinking when DeRo was trying to pass to him early into the game and he didn't run to goal but veared left...

Seriously....

jazzy
08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
This is kind of funny, as you rag on some people for having an opinion about one player - then go on to give your own personal jab at another...

You can't have your cake and eat it to my friend...

We lack that finishing touch. We lack that strikeforce or strike partnership that strikes fear in our opponents when we have the ball in the attcking 3rd of the pitch...

Its not just OBW (as you decided to point out, yet called out other posters for calling out the player they are not happy with), its out entire "attack" as a whole...

There are some new players to fit in (Mista, Santos, etc) and that takes time to gel (the bad thing about building a team mid-season), but we need it to gel, and gel fast...

One man, one player, one striker, one designated player WON'T DO IT... You defend as a team, you attack as a team, you play as a team...

Carts...
^This....and it's inevitable as a team hampered by our small MLS roster and Moe's inability to bring in quality help...we are going to suffer unfortunately for playing CONCACAF...mid season....everyone looked over enthusiastic but bodies not doing what minds wanted....and look at the injuries....OBW..has deteriated unfortunately, still too young? but I'll follow them everywhere....they've got heart....still proud

Heart of Stone
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
everyone looked over enthusiastic but bodies not doing what minds wanted

Couldn't agree more with this ... a lot of inefficient running around...

Positives were the boundless effort ... everyone still believing.

Toronto_Bhoy
08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
In order to make the playoffs this team is going to have to win some road games.

ensco
08-11-2010, 11:32 PM
On my BB

The RB Arena - just gorgeous, what a stadium for soccer. Fantastic sight lines.

The roof - it's funny, I'd like to have one, but on a hot night like tonight, it keeps the breeze out and makes things very toasty in there. Had this been the same conditions as last night (it was 93 degrees F at kickoff yesterday), we all would have cooked tonight.

The location - a real disappointment. omg, you couldn't pick a site that makes you feel more like you're on the set of the Road Warrior than this. It's a wasteland. Plus it's still awkward from Manhattan - the postgame PATH service goes only to WTC or Newark, meaning if you want to go to midtown, you have to double back to Newark Penn and take NJ Transit. Very worrying.

The USA-Brazil game at the New meadowlands. It makes you so jealous. To have a beautiful 77,000 seat stadium that can host a game like that, filled to capacity, fantastic atmosphere. Brazil fans. Wow. Wow. Brazil have a 19 year old, Neymar, who debuted in this game, our jaws were dropping, he repeatedly embarassed the US backline, no wonder Dunga got fired, how could he not pick this kid. Neymar will be sold for €100 million or similar someday soon, and win the Golden Boot in 2014.

RPB - I'm in. I surrender!

ensco
08-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Re the result, oh well.

This game had no cosmic significance. We were missing Gargan and Santos, we're a tired team, we were pushed around a bit. They scored a seriously beautiful goal. We were due for a stinker.

Let's talk Cruz Azul.

razor787
08-11-2010, 11:45 PM
I dont understand how people on here can be so moronic. Our team lost. Has happened before, will happen again. Thats what happens in sports. You arent going to win every match, and a match, in hostile grounds, with a team pumped up with the signing of marquez and henry, and the actual Debut of Henry in NY... We were walkng into this match shorthanded, and didnt have the same motivation that NY had. Im just suprised we only went down 1 goal

And, I wasnt able to catch the game, what happened to Chad? Does it look bad, or is it likely something he can recover from very quickly?

Super
08-11-2010, 11:50 PM
The roof - it's funny, I'd like to have one, but on a hot night like tonight, it keeps the breeze out and makes things very toasty in there. Had this been the same conditions as last night (it was 93 degrees F at kickoff yesterday), we all would have cooked tonight.

That's a very good point. However, on the other hand, I would venture a guess that there are more cold days at BMO than super hot days. Also, I think it's very possible to fit a roof on top of the stadium - but keep the back clear. This way we can get the breeze, stay dry, stay clear of the hot sun in the summer, and enjoy much better accoustics from the roof. Win, win, WIN situation. Either way, I don't really care all that much about the weather factor if it means we'll be able to have a much better atmosphere at BMO.

TFC USA
08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
I dont understand how people on here can be so moronic. Our team lost. Has happened before, will happen again. Thats what happens in sports. You arent going to win every match, and a match, in hostile grounds, with a team pumped up with the signing of marquez and henry, and the actual Debut of Henry in NY... We were walkng into this match shorthanded, and didnt have the same motivation that NY had. Im just suprised we only went down 1 goal

And, I wasnt able to catch the game, what happened to Chad? Does it look bad, or is it likely something he can recover from very quickly?

I expected a loss but expect the unexpected. San Jose went into LA and nearly beat them until Donovan got his typical 1 yard out goal.

We're 7-7-5, which is as mediocre as you can get at this time of year. Getting a point against superior teams and 3 against inferior is a must and we're leaving with 0 points in both situations.

Dub Narcotic
08-12-2010, 12:16 AM
^This....and it's inevitable as a team hampered by our small MLS roster and Moe's inability to bring in quality help...we are going to suffer unfortunately for playing CONCACAF...mid season....everyone looked over enthusiastic but bodies not doing what minds wanted....and look at the injuries....OBW..has deteriated unfortunately, still too young? but I'll follow them everywhere....they've got heart....still proud

I don't understand this 'small roster' talk. TFC has plenty of players who should be fresh: OBW, Ibrahim, Gala, Peterson, Harden, etc... The problem is that most of them aren't very good, not that there's not enough of them.

Brooker
08-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Is OBW a striker? When he got that feed from Mista, he was too afraid to shoot.

FUCK!

Dub Narcotic
08-12-2010, 12:19 AM
BTW, I agree with the general consensus that this loss is not too much to get worked up about. A reasonable effort against a tough team on the road that results in a loss to a really nice goal is not apocalyptic.

jazzy
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I don't understand this 'small roster' talk. TFC has plenty of players who should be fresh: OBW, Ibrahim, Gala, Peterson, Harden, etc... The problem is that most of them aren't very good, not that there's not enough of them.

Think Cruz Azul.....and other international teams, and look at the size of their rosters compared to MLS rosters dictated by the league to ensure small market teams don't have too much expense,,,this is a deterent to going far into MLS play-offs and/or CONCACAF...with so many games in a relatively small time period, any injuries and we're at a huge disadvantage no matter the quality of the players involved.

twistedchinaman
08-12-2010, 01:19 AM
If Seattle can trade their DP to Chicago...is it too late to trade JDG for a draft pick or some sort of person who can be the backfield general not named Garcia we've been so looking for? And free up room for possibly another DP and Izagurre?

twistedchinaman
08-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Positives were the boundless effort ... everyone still believing.

^ Great sign.

Let's hope this helps...hopes springs eternal they say.

Stryker
08-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Strange. I was more Impressed with our play tonight than Ive been on many winning nights. This game showed more than any game though, how desperately we need a couple of quality wingers to provide decent service.

Peterson... Absolute shite. He's missed the net on so many golden chances. He better not be here to start next season.

Shakes McQueen
08-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Strange. I was more Impressed with our play tonight than Ive been on many winning nights. This game showed more than any game though, how desperately we need a couple of quality wingers to provide decent service.

Peterson... Absolute shite. He's missed the net on so many golden chances. He better not be here to start next season.

I agree with you, Stryker - and I'm actually heartened by the grounded reactions people are having to this loss, instead of going all "Chicken Little" about how playoffs are now out of the question and the season is over.

We played decently well for most of the game, and lost a tough road game on a great goal. Shit happens.

And I'm with you on Peterson. When we acquired him, I was hopeful that he might be a valuable wing player for us, but he has turned out to be a real stinker.

I'm also on the fence about OBW these days. If he was a couple of years older I'd be done with him, but his youth makes me wonder if it'd be worth waiting and seeing if he gets the cobwebs out of his game as he learns. But make no mistake - the kid has been unimpressive this season, and is clearly sinking down Preki's depth chart.

Oh well - on to Cruz Azul. I can't wait for that game.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Oh, and I'm not religious, but I think we should consider holding an RPB prayer group to make sure Maicon is ready for that game, haha.

- Scott

bgnewf
08-12-2010, 06:18 AM
That was a HUGE opportunity lost.

With Henry probably fitter, Marques, Coundoul, Miller and the like back in ten days here in Toronto the Red Bulls will be a much better club than tonight.

I simply don't understand why we suck so horribly bad on the road.

ecospice
08-12-2010, 06:36 AM

Although Angel had some misses as well.

Angel is a misses...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I really don't think it was as terrible as some people are saying. We were solid defensively, they had a lot fewer chances than they did against chicago for example.

We had some good spells of possession, especially the first 10 minutes or so. Not sure exactly what happened to change the game, but they had a good spell of pressure before they scored.

well said, even the stats suggest we were pretty damn equal.
both teams made massive mistakes and sadly we failed to capitalize on those mistakes like a better team would, i do think that in time we will learn to do that, of course it would help if we picked up a few better pieces along the way

Azerban
08-12-2010, 07:24 AM
i decided that playing the wii deserved more of my attention than this game about 60 minutes in

i am a Real Fan

Azerban
08-12-2010, 07:25 AM
somewhere in toronto there is a person who only watches our home games and is absolutely delighted with this team...just a little food for thought...

Oldtimer
08-12-2010, 07:52 AM

I know JDG is supposed to be the link up to the forwards but in my mind right now I think he holds on to the ball far too long and brings the ball back too often, maybe it is his only option, but it is frustrating to watch.

The last home game, I spent about 50% of the match just looking at JDG. He spent a lot of his time looking for an open player to pass to. The fact is, most of our forwards (with the exception of Maicon) lack the quality to finish, and don't get open often enough. So JDG finds himself often unable to make a clear pass.

What he is able to do is take pressure off of our defense, which he does excellently. Many times in NY, he broke up a developing play, but when he won the ball he had to hang on to it, he had no-one to pass to.

... and that is the problem. Even with poor positioning (rarely being open), our forwards had several chances to notch a goal. However, they seemed unable to make many decent attempts on goal. DeRo could have, but NY had him well marked, correctly guessing that he was our only decent chance of scoring. Sad to say, but Peterson was particularly dire in finishing.

Barrett might have been helpful and even maybe scored a goal if he hadn't had the hamstring injury.

It's the sad reality of the DP system. If in order to play optimally a DP is heavily reliant on others, you are not going to get your money's worth.

Somehow we managed to get the 2 DP's in this league that are reliant on min wagers to be at their best.

This team needs to invest in scouting and scour S. America to find our Freddy Montero

... and that is the real problem. JDG is not effective unless you have quality strikers to pass to. I guess that Mista was supposed to be that, but he is so unfit, it's not funny. JDG would be highly useful with a decent DP striker. Without one, he doesn't justify his salary.

A good effort by our boys, but not enough without someone to finish.

Pookie
08-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Honestly, some of you are worse than Leaf fans.

Apparently, all of our players are shite with the exception of a few. Of course, you want the shite players replaced. So, we'll replace Labrocca who earns $80k with some superstar willing to play for $80k?

It's the g'damned MLS folks. Good players move on to better leagues. Inconsistent, developing players stay here. Good players on the downside of their careers come here to extend their careers. Changing the name on the back of the kit doesn't necessarily result in better service. That was De Vos point about Henry learning to deal with poor delivery. It's a factor for every team.

And this list of shite players never really reflects what happens during the match. It's essentially the same list recycled game in and game out. I'd wager that the list is created based on scanning internet blogs for opinion and then coming to the revolutionary view that "I agree with TFCfan109231".

Some examples,

- Garcia has been blamed for losses when he has played a solid game.
- Barrett has been strung up for an inability to finish yet others point to his departure from a game as a reason for our offense getting stymied.
- The list will honour Santos supposedly our saviour... better than any current TFC player... perhaps based on ability but perhaps just based on the fact he has a Brazilian name... But in labeling him a great player there is the overlooked fact that he was released by Chivas (a team dead last in the standings)... perhaps there is a reason?

The negative bandwagon makes it painful to be able to find an insightful analysis of our matches.

jabbronies
08-12-2010, 08:37 AM
somewhere in toronto there is a person who only watches our home games and is absolutely delighted with this team...just a little food for thought...

Stop talking about me.

I'm very superstitious. If TFC win or tie when I'm wearing my jersey I don't wash it. When they loose, I wash it. After Year 2, I stopped wearing the jersey for road games cos I didn't want to jinx the jersey and wash away the win smell for when they play at home.

This year I don't watch away games unless it's a NCC or CCL game.

Carefree
08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
even the stats suggest we were pretty damn equal.

That's what makes this loss so frustrating. Despite the pessimistic gloom before the match, this was a game we COULD have won if our finishing had been better. We played well in the first half and dominated possession. We had the better chances for the most part (other than the five minutes leading up to the goal). But all that people will remember will be those ridiculously missed shots by Peterson, the ineffectiveness of JDG and Mista, and the comedy of errors that is OBW.

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Agreed, this was my take on the game as well. TFC could have easily escaped NY with a draw or even a victory if Peterson and White converted their glorious chances. The lack of depth up front became painfully obvious last night without Santos and Barrett on the pitch. The good news is that the break in the schedule should allow both of them to be ready for Cruz Azul next Tuesday...

reggie
08-12-2010, 09:05 AM
the facts are 4 yrs and MOstake by the lake has done nothing other then dero and frei and he was lucky with them..no wow signings,jus a bunch of mls rejects.

drexel10
08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm a past Barrett frustrated non-supporter, I'll heartely eat my words, and admire his class, but I wish he was quicker , his overall tenaciousness and effort would be huge if he was fast, he is always caught on breaks....he still and always will have a high missed opportunity to goal ratio...what was he thinking when DeRo was trying to pass to him early into the game and he didn't run to goal but veared left.....still I understand why he is well liked and I too admit my it's my frustrations in critisizing him

He was thinking Dero was going to take a touch(fair assumption in reading dero) so he tried to make a run behind the defender for a cross.

DangerRed
08-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Stop talking about me.

I'm very superstitious. If TFC win or tie when I'm wearing my jersey I don't wash it. When they loose, I wash it. After Year 2, I stopped wearing the jersey for road games cos I didn't want to jinx the jersey and wash away the win smell for when they play at home.

This year I don't watch away games unless it's a NCC or CCL game.

Hilarious. I watch away games at home, and doesn't matter that it's 35 degrees in there, I'll still have the scarf draped around my neck.

It's like torturing yourself, really -- I watch because I hope that of all the away games that'll be played this season, this will be the one they win. And they never, ever, ever do.

Maybe I'll stop watching league road games too...

Darlofletch
08-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Seriously....

He was thinking Dero was going to take a touch(fair assumption in reading dero) so he tried to make a run behind the defender for a cross.

Yep, he was drifting to the back post, trying to lose his marker and wait for a cross, which was a perfectly valid thing for a forward to be thinking. Unfortunately De Ro thought he'd run hard at the near post, so made ther pass there, again a perfectly valid thought. why not criticise de ro for passing towards goal when barrett was clearly veering left. miscommunication between the two is all that happened.

as for his opportuntiy to goal ratio, they put up a good stat last night, last year he scored 5 mls goals on 55 shots in 20something games. this year, in however many games he's played, he's scored in (i think)26 shots. so his strike rate is more than twice better than it was last year.

Of course it depends on how you define opportunity, as if he messes it up and doesn't even get a shot off, then it wouldn't count against that stat, but still it's a big improvement. hopefully he'll be back soon.

Bars92
08-12-2010, 10:01 AM
At the start of the year we should just cancel all the away matches and give the opposing teams 3 points by default. Here we are in year 4, with a completely new squad, but away games still don't matter to this team.

Section 117
08-12-2010, 10:02 AM
They lost, but it could have easily been a draw. Which doesn't mean the world is comming to an end but at the end of the day with the log jam of the fixtures coming up means TFC has to focus on either the league or Champions League (god it feels good to say that). So between Mo and Preki they must decide which competition they want to focus on.

I am not going to rip on JDG or Garcia or anyother player. I lie the balme of the make up of this team squarely on Mo. I will not rehash the actual signings, but I am not sure what everyone expects we are not as talent as we think we are and not as bad either.

With respect to Preki what we are seeing is Prekiball defense at all cost especially on the road. This style of play doesn't win championships, it breeds mediocrity and potentially a playoff spot due to parity in the MLS.

One last thing watching last night the players looked completely gassed by the middle of the second half. I have sick feeling that we are re living last year without the Dichio saga.

just my 2 cents

seankeay
08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I was actually impressed yet again with Nane. He actually tried to move the ball in the midfield with some quick short passes opposed to hoofing upfield to no one like everyone else does.

In a game where 4 DPs took the field you would have guessed all 4 played for the Shite Bulls. That being said I don't think it is Mista's fault, I agree he needs service from somebody out there. When does the next transfer window open so we can loan out JDG

Are you kidding me?? Nane was the reason the midfield was taken over by the redbulls after the first 25 min. Deguzman was getting pushed and kicked off the ball at any chance and Salazar let it go. This is where Nane has to man up and earn his spot in the lineup and he doesnt. He is to afraid of making a mistake and just sits there with his finger up his nose waiting for a loose ball to fall out and collect.

I am totally sick of this anti Deguzman crap on this board, Im not one to use this line on people because I do think people can have difference of opinion but for the people who honestly think Deguzman is not a top player on this team you know nothing about this sport and should just stick to chanting and keeping quiet when soccer is being discussed.

Marquez & Lindpere Vs Nane & Sanyang....

Goood luck!

Boris
08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
nane....i am unimpressed with him so far.
OBW....touch and go....i guess it depends on his mood.

that is all

Hooligan69
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Typical Toronto FC away performance. No surprise at all.

v00d00daddy
08-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Are you kidding me?? Nane was the reason the midfield was taken over by the redbulls after the first 25 min. Deguzman was getting pushed and kicked off the ball at any chance and Salazar let it go. This is where Nane has to man up and earn his spot in the lineup and he doesnt. He is to afraid of making a mistake and just sits there with his finger up his nose waiting for a loose ball to fall out and collect.

I am totally sick of this anti Deguzman crap on this board, Im not one to use this line on people because I do think people can have difference of opinion but for the people who honestly think Deguzman is not a top player on this team you know nothing about this sport and should just stick to chanting and keeping quiet when soccer is being discussed.

Goood luck!

I agree with this post. It's one thing to have high (or even very high) expectations of JDG...that's totally understandable. It also makes sense to be upset if one thinks that he's not living up to those expectations.

That being said.....to suggest that he's a bad player is plain stupidity. He's a great player and you can see that when he plays with TFC. The problem is the frequency in which we're seeing his talent with TFC and the reasons surrounding that. Is he not on the same page as other players? Is his style a poor fit with the players on this team? Is he motivated? Is he happy?

Who knows. I would agree that he's not living up to my expectation of what I thought he'd bring...BUT.....I'll never say he sucks or that we should get rid of him.

I remember (VIVIDLY) what we had before him and would never want to go back to that.

I hope he comes around....almost as much as I hope TFC's scoring comes around.

Where has our goal scoring gone?

DeRo? He's been frustrating the shit out of me lately.
Barrett: I don't want to say how I feel about him.
OBW: Meh....looks out of place and un coordinated
Santos: I hold out hope as long as he's not too injured.
Mista: I don't know really. He seems smart and has a good touch but all of that is wasted if he has to continue to give OBW chances...so does that make Mista a waste as well?

On to Cruz Azul.

Shway
08-12-2010, 12:40 PM
nane....i am unimpressed with him so far.
OBW....touch and go....i guess it depends on his mood.

that is all

Complete opposite
Nane i love the way hes been playing, he has composure.

the person you really need to be watching is De Guzman

cause by yesterdays game, Nane preformed better than De Guzman

Shway
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Usanov - more like uselessnov.
Nana - did good, as usual.
Cann - same
Garcia - a stupid fucking old man who should find himself a retirement home. E-fucking-nough of his shit.
Nane - that's right folks were the only team who consistantly start a fourth round draft pick. Fuck me.
De Guzman - Comparable to a poodle, puffy hair, all bark, no bite, and rolls around in the grass like that one kid in school who ha lice and ate glue.
DeRosario - utter shite today...

In closing, we have a shit team away from home and someone needs to tell them that soccer is actually played with, I dunno, effort.

Other notes: stop passing back to frei, don't give it to him unless he needs it. Work with each other, because eventually a mistak will be made and hoofing it up the field only harms us.

OFF WITH THERE HEADS!
We Loose, and everyone goes crazy!

i agree with Labrocca, and Peterson, i was having a banter with my bro about how solid TFC backline could be if we didnt trade Wynne for Labroke, hes UTTER SHIT, i dont know who told him hes friggen Riquelme, everyball he plays is a pin point pass to the opponent.

Peterson is chad barret 2.0!

the problem is with TFC is that we have too many 12th,13,and 14th mans
who are starting, theres nothing going forward on the wings. God knows the last time we had TRUE, TRUE, TRUE winger was Rohan Ricketts.
Im honestly going to start calling for Lindsey to get signed, hes actually a true winger!

Garcia IMO has played the best along with Nana, Cann, Frei.
The defence is nothing to blame!
its the midfield .

Oh yea.......why is Mista getting DP money again?:picard:

spark
08-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Complete opposite
Nane i love the way hes been playing, he has composure.

the person you really need to be watching is De Guzman

cause by yesterdays game, Nane preformed better than De Guzman

I feel like I'm in scanners.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
If you dont get results on the road.....you DONT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS....

UNEXCEPTALBE!!!! SIMPLE!!!

Top teams in MLS have a balance...we don't!

It will become the death of us!

http://i33.tinypic.com/28bf87k.jpg

McBrace
08-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Any Idea what happend at the end of the game with Mista and the cunt that scored the goal?

joel
08-12-2010, 02:15 PM
The RB Arena - just gorgeous, what a stadium for soccer. Fantastic sight lines.

I was there too, I was really impressed with the sightlines...the upper bowl is more on top of the lower stand so you feel a lot closer to the action (you are). I had mid level seats in 224 in Toronto, and in NY i sat in 224 (equiv to 226 in tdot) and they were much better seats in terms of viewing angle and being close. I'm sure centre midfield are reaal nice.

I agree on the roof, last night a breeze would have been realy nice, I think they need a way to get air moving through there.

The location - a real disappointment. omg, you couldn't pick a site that makes you feel more like you're on the set of the Road Warrior than this. It's a wasteland.
It's an area that's just getting built up. Watch it in 5 years.

Plus it's still awkward from Manhattan - the postgame PATH service goes only to WTC or Newark, meaning if you want to go to midtown, you have to double back to Newark Penn and take NJ Transit. Very worrying.
That is not the case, The train you get on at Harrison only goes to Newark Penn or WTC, BUT you get on WTC and switch trains at Journal square and you get on the Train that goes Pavonia->Christopher St->9th->14th->33rd. Just look at the maps , it's clearly marked where you switch trains:
http://www.panynj.gov/path/img/PATH_system_map.jpg

If you came from midtown you would have switched trains at Journal square to get to the game. DO NOT take NJ transit..they cut trains and they are always delayed.

Anyway, cool stadium, could use some more air. The 30 RPB's or so made a LOT of noise, it was cool.

pekduck
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Any Idea what happend at the end of the game with Mista and the cunt that scored the goal?

Mista trash talked him entire time and tried to get under that douche's skin to throw him off. If you watched the replay, Mista had both of his arms behind him stood there firm and continued on trying to get the other person to instigate a card worthy offense. The douche was already waving arms and shoving a little.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-12-2010, 02:19 PM
^so does the roof hold the noise.....and how would BMO differ if it had a roof?

McBrace
08-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Mista trash talked him entire time and tried to get under that douche's skin to throw him off. If you watched the replay, Mista had both of his arms behind him stood there firm and continued on trying to get the other person to instigate a card worthy offense. The douche was already waving arms and shoving a little.

A good way to get under his skin would be to score a GOAL!

joel
08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
^so does the roof hold the noise.....and how would BMO differ if it had a roof?

I would just be speculating, there's a lot of physics invlolved haha.

The RPBs were up in the bowl, so you could really hear them as the roofwas right there. I don't think it matters as much closer to field level.

After being there I'm not really in favour of a roof, I like the open air much better. I think at BMO with proper sound treatment and some sort of installation to 'wrap' the stadium so-to-speak and create a 5 metre or so extension around the open stands would go a long way. You want something to reflect sound, but still pass air. Some sort of artistic BS that has form and function, and looks nice.

The roof just made me feel like I was at a baseball game, maybe it was the crowd.

rocker
08-12-2010, 02:37 PM
, I like the open air much better. I think at BMO with proper sound treatment and some sort of installation to 'wrap' the stadium so-to-speak and create a 5 metre or so extension around the open stands would go a long way. You want something to reflect sound, but still pass air. Some sort of artistic BS that has form and function, and looks nice.

something like the Limp Act are planning?

http://img.youtube.com/vi/UAHIOVOOcCU/0.jpg

joel
08-12-2010, 02:39 PM
something like the Limp Act are planning?

http://img.youtube.com/vi/UAHIOVOOcCU/0.jpg

Exactly. The Romans had it right with the coliseum, they did the same thing, and it was retractable :p

Yeoman
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
well from the 30 some odd mins i saw of the game
we need wingers that know how to play both ways still
holy crap garcia shot!
but yeah, it's all been rabbled on about on here already.
thumbs up for that fucking stadium! WOW

pekduck
08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
A good way to get under his skin would be to score a GOAL!

whoa whoa whoa.... this is Mister Mista here... his only skills at this point in career is to create scoring chances for others....:(

which he did...

then, OBW messed it up.. and DeRo also messed it up... but then.. the entire midfield messed it up... nvm...

Dub Narcotic
08-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Goood luck!

Interesting point. It's so hard to judge midfield play on the television, I thought Nane played well, but you often don't see the plays not made or the mistakes that don't involve the ball directly.

Roogsy
08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I don't bend over and praise TFC as divine footballers when they win, and I don't think they're the worst team when they lose.

The facts are simple people. TFC is a mediocre team. That means on any given night, they might win or they might lose. Last night, they lost. Last week, they won and people were booking their playoff tickets :rolleyes: so let's get a grip here.

There is only one solution in my opinion, either TFC dedicates itself to becoming a team that dominates this league like the Galaxy have chosen to work at, or they can continue to field a tepid team that regularly gives us "what will they do tonight?" games.

TFC USA
08-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I think this blog post is worth reading to see how lousy we are on road compared to home.

http://ssreporters.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/7-11-36/

CretanBull
08-12-2010, 05:49 PM
There is only one solution in my opinion, either TFC dedicates itself to becoming a team that dominates this league like the Galaxy have chosen to work at, or they can continue to field a tepid team that regularly gives us "what will they do tonight?" games.

True...unfortunately true for us because I think we can all predict which option we're stuck with.

ricciboy
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey!

Was anyone reading I think it was the Toronto Star this morning when they were talking about the 1-0 loss to the Red bulls, and they were saying that Maxim Usanov isnt good enough for the MLS, The reason i brought this up is to hear your thoughts about this?

drexel10
08-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey!

Was anyone reading I think it was the Toronto Star this morning when they were talking about the 1-0 loss to the Red bulls, and they were saying that Maxim Usanov isnt good enough for the MLS, The reason i brought this up is to hear your thoughts about this?

I watched the game last night with a friend of mine visiting from the US. I was telling him how Usunov is hated and then continued with Garcia, and Peterson, and OBW and Chad barret and JDG and he was totally stunned and asked what is wrong with you guys that follow the team? He was just surprised to hear that all of the players mentioned were so hated, as if to suggest that it is maybe us who have the problems! Usanov did well last night, as did Garcia. OBW, who I am not a fan of, actually had his best touch ever when he turned and brought it to his left foot for the only shot on goal. My friend also thought that we were the better team, and that was coming from a guy who chanted TH14 coming into the bar :)

Oldtimer
08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
he was totally stunned and asked what is wrong with you guys that follow the team? He was just surprised to hear that all of the players mentioned were so hated, as if to suggest that it is maybe us who have the problems!

The problem is us, and it crosses all sports in Toronto. It's a Toronto-specific disease, that comes from having so many losing teams for so long, especially the Leafs.

CanadaLFC
08-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I dont mean to be a pessimist, but I see New York at home being our first Home League loss of the season.

Heart of Stone
08-12-2010, 09:19 PM
The facts are simple people. TFC is a mediocre team. That means on any given night, they might win or they might lose. Last night, they lost. Last week, they won and people were booking their playoff tickets :rolleyes: so let's get a grip here.

I agree with this to a point but I think it is a little bit simplistic to say that "on any given night, they might win or they might lose". The home game vs. road game difference has become quite pronounced ... just have to look at the records for evidence of that.

The most interesting thing about the upcoming MLS game at home to the Red Bull will be to see how the team plays, at home, without JDG...

jazzy
08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
My friend also thought that we were the better team, and that was coming from a guy who chanted TH14 coming into the bar :)[/quote]

You know, there is merit in this as even last night we controlled a lot of the game but that's the frustrating part...as we all know we need finishers, with killer goal scoring instincts, but it's the MLS, yes?

Derko
08-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Goood luck!

You are right in your assesment of Nane, and I for one, did not say that Deguzman is not a top player, I just think that at times, both he and Dero seem to not have the spark, leadership, and play up to their potential, but then again that can be said of all TFC at times, It is just frustrating to watch, we easily could have stolen 3 points and pulled into 2nd place, but once again, away from home TFC shit the bed.
A team has to win on the road or they will not be successful, TFC could barely string 2 passes together, NYRB were superior on the ball. don't you agree?

Heart of Stone
08-12-2010, 10:33 PM
What is amazing is how New York went from sneaking into the MLS Cup final in 2008 after barely making the playoffs to being one of the worst teams in MLS history in 2009 to now being a solid contender in 2010... what parity in this league!

MLS parity is what gives hope that our greatest horizons are always within reach..

DichioTFC
08-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Just got home from my little NYC roadtrip. Wasn't the best of games, it had 0-0 written all over it. Glad to see people saying we were heard. The guys in the away supporter section were working fucking overtime on this one. Thanks to Kevin for holding the tickets, Yeoman for killing the drums and special shout out to NEE for getting the chanting going strong (there were maybe 10-15 RPBs, 10-15 NEEs, 10 chanting randoms, 10 non-chanting randoms, and a lot of families that wore TFC but didnt care to chant / sing, but were located throughout the stadium).

Agree with what people said about NYRB support being organized. We were talking with some of the 101 guys we went to NYC with and they described how they do it, it's very well thought out and we could really learn *a lot* from these guys (creative, open to new / simple / witty / spontaneous chants, have 45+ chants ready to be used, very simple to memorize). They had a spontaneous pedophile chant for Frei that made Frei freeze (wasn't on TV). Have newfound respect for NYRB's 101.

COMPLETELY disagree with whoever said the area was a wasteland. It's a great Portugese area, great little local bars that the NYRB supporters frequent with hot women and hot waitresses. Then fenced off area in front of the stadium will be developed for condos and light commercial, when it does it'll complete the area. And like Joel wrote, the PATH is fucking easy to take, just don't take NJ transit.

Still, despite the disappointing result, it was a beautiful stadium.

On to Cruz Azul.

Pachuco
08-13-2010, 09:11 AM

Goood luck!

I am totally sick of people who like Deguzman. If you like Deguzman you know nothing about this sport ;)

Surely you can come up with a better argument then that.

sampace
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
The DeGuzman debate is summed up like this:

Is he the best choice for TFC as a DP? Could they have picked up a better Forward who can pop goals in the net consistently which is what they need, when missing Barrett and Santos?

No argument DeGuzman is TFC's best Midfielder, he deserves the minutes he gets and deserves to start. But as a DP, do you give it to a DMF? Could someone who may not be as good as him, but effective in MLS been picked up, freeing up the money for a Forward?

Is there a decent DP forward willing to come to Toronto? So far none have stepped up, they rather play in NY or L.A. Even with Toronto's mulitcultural society you will not see a Euro player want to come to Toronto, even if the money is on par. They'd rather stay and play in Euro close to home. L.A. and NY are different stories.

I say it is a draw, not sure we will ever get an amazing DP to come to Toronto, we can get some mediocre out of shape players like Mista, lots of talent, but he was on the bench in Europe for a reason.

Pachuco
08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
The DeGuzman debate is summed up like this:

Is he the best choice for TFC as a DP? Could they have picked up a better Forward who can pop goals in the net consistently which is what they need, when missing Barrett and Santos?

No argument DeGuzman is TFC's best Midfielder, he deserves the minutes he gets and deserves to start. But as a DP, do you give it to a DMF? Could someone who may not be as good as him, but effective in MLS been picked up, freeing up the money for a Forward?

Is there a decent DP forward willing to come to Toronto? So far none have stepped up, they rather play in NY or L.A. Even with Toronto's mulitcultural society you will not see a Euro player want to come to Toronto, even if the money is on par. They'd rather stay and play in Euro close to home. L.A. and NY are different stories.

I say it is a draw, not sure we will ever get an amazing DP to come to Toronto, we can get some mediocre out of shape players like Mista, lots of talent, but he was on the bench in Europe for a reason.

Here is the way I see it. As an attacking midfielder or a winger DeGuzman is as useless as it gets. He plays this position quite a bit under Preki. He doesn't have the ability to penetrate defenses and make the killer pass. What's worse is if Peterson wasn't on the team he'd be the worst shooter on this team. He's now 3rd on the team with shots and 0 goals scored. The only reason he gets away with this is because he's Canadian. If this was Barett, you would've crucified him. And for those of you about to say but Deguzman is a DM, well, then you are judging him by his reputation and not by how effective he is in the position Preki asks him to play.

So having said that, there are times he plays as more of a DM then an AM. This is where I think he's just OK. Not great, not terrible. He has the ability to cut off passes as he reads the opposition very well and he runs like a maniac. I'm sure he's covered the most KMs for TFC this year. Having said that, his inability to tackle a player or to win a 50/50 ball sickens me for someone as skilled as him. He's very fragile and very rarely puts in a tackle that makes me go wow. I swear Robbo used to do that to me once a game. in the NY game twice he got beat where he was really made to look silly. The second time he got beat in the middle of the park should have resulted in a goal. Tchani put the ball through Deguzman's legs, then gave a breakaway pass to (I can't remember who) and Angel saved our ass by standing in front of the shot. Those kinds of plays happen reguarly with Deguzman as DM.

So, I personally would want another DM, a DM who's going to tackle and break legs like he isn't afraid of shit. I think Nane may have a future in this position though he's not there yet. And I sure as heck would take another winger or AM who has a knack for attacking. Someone who's going to make the players around him better as opposed to someone who nees good players around him to be better.

That's all for now.

Detroit_TFC
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Not a lot lot to add to what DichioTFC said. It wouldn't take too many more people than what we had to make a big sound there. Next year if we could get 100-125 people there it would be great.

Personally I was treated very well by ESC folks, but then again I know some ESC people from Det so proper introductions were made and they were cool with that, just didn't walk into their bar like it was no big deal, etc.

ESC is traveling large next week so that should be fun.

Section 117
08-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Pachuco if JDG was making $300k would that be ok insteand of making $1.7 mill. If your answer is yes then it isn't his fault that Mo or MLSE or whoever gave him that contract. We wouldn't been having this this discussion IMO.

JDG is almost always playing out of postion because our midfield depth is lacking at best. He must be played as a DM, not on the wing and not as AM. I would love to know what the hell Preki is thinking starting Sanyang and Nane/Joseph (whatever his name) as the DM over JDG. Sanyang is by far the worst person to pass a ball that I have ever seen on this team and Nane/Joseph is by far filler at best he has no business being on the field let alone starting.

Onto JDG there are a couple of things that I need to point as again these are not his fault but are what they are. He is realtively small. He gets pushed off the ball. This is a very physical league and from talking to other players that I know that played abroad it takes time to adjust. Problem is that he is not a good fit for the league not his fault but Mo's for not recognizing this.

Secondly, his soccer IQ is better than 97% of the squad save: Mista, Dero, and Santos. When he first came he use to get a ball and put into space where the player was suppose to be and unfortunately due to limited soccer IQ for the majority of the squad no one was there and there was a turnover. He holds the ball longer as he can't do what he normaly does.

IMO I want JDG on my team you just need to sign better players around him that understand the game and have more soccer IQ and play him in his natural position

ensco
08-13-2010, 11:51 AM
^What's weird is that we are finally playing the formation that is perfect for......Guevara, in the CM role.

ensco
08-13-2010, 11:57 AM
COMPLETELY disagree with whoever said the area was a wasteland. It's a great Portugese area, great little local bars that the NYRB supporters frequent with hot women and hot waitresses. Then fenced off area in front of the stadium will be developed for condos and light commercial, when it does it'll complete the area.

The area you're talking about is the Ironbound, at least 20 minutes away, in downtown Newark. It's much, much further than Liberty Village is from BMO, and I stand by my comments.

95% of Tristate area footie fans aren't interested in the "charm" of the Ironbound, and in any scenario, whether you come from Newark directly, take the PATH, or drive, you've got a long walk through the set of the Road Warrior to get to the stadium.

If you don't think it matters, OK. I think it might.

GeorgeBest
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
^What's weird is that we are finally playing the formation that is perfect for......Guevara, in the CM role.

I favoured Guevara at the top of the diamond in this formation due to his passing skills in the final third of the pitch, but he is also very effective on the sides at CM.

Section 117
08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Georgerbest I disagree that becasuue JDG shoudl be use to the players around him. That is what is hindering him. You can't make him change his game because the majority of the team is shite.

That is like telling Juan Pablo Angel you need to miss the net more as the rest your team does the same thing. Get better players to play with JDG and you will see the quality having him play with Peterson, Nane, Sanyang, Saric to an extent LaBrcca is not going to cut it

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Juan pablo has been doing big things from time he arrived, I think the comparison is off.

v00d00daddy
08-13-2010, 12:22 PM
This JDG stuff should probably be in its own thread because it's a good/relevant topic and people are actually making it pleasant..as opposed to the typical attacks.

So...JDG....he hasn't been perfect and I think thats where the problem lies.

He gets paid a lot of money and has the pedigree of La Liga behind so I think people expect him never to make a mistake. It's just not feasible. Please tell me how we can expect him to move the ball the way he wants with the options around him. He looks to his left and right and usually sees Nane/Peterson/Labrocca/Sanyang. Now....name me a player who is going to make these guys better at taking passes and moving into space. It's not possible.

I'm not saying that JDG is not to blame somewhat. He absolutely is. He goes to that turn and stall too much for my liking and his passes stray too often.

But one of things he does do well...far better than any other DM we've ever had, is taking away space. He knows where to be to discourage attacking players from making the simple play. His positioning forces guys to make difficult passes which usually fail. That's his job.

This notion that he has to tackle guys and "break legs" is ridiculous. What good is that when:

a) more than half the time the ball is not won cleanly on tackles and ends up into touch or off to another player or...

b) you risk injury and cards

Look at Saric....you really want a guy like that playing day in and day out? I'll take JDG thanks.

As for his scoring prowess..it worries me a bit. I don't expect goal upon goal from him but the chances he has gotten have been squandered each time by poor shots. I hope this can improve but I don't know. At the end of the day he's not paid to put the ball in the net.

He gets paid a lot and, as a result, a lot is expected of him. Totally understandable but like others have said...

It's not like there is a lineup of DP's busting down TFC's doors.

So would you prefer this team without JDG and no other DP to replace him?

I wouldn't.

rocker
08-13-2010, 12:24 PM
ya, Juan Pablo Angel has made his team significantly better. The year they went to the MLS Cup the offence was basically him. That's what a DP should do in my opinion -- lift a team up.

But since we still have a 3rd DP spot, it doesn't really matter. Having JDG is not stopping us from getting a DP that can truly be a game changer.

razor787
08-13-2010, 12:27 PM
agree 100%. JDG is taking way too much crap. He has no options to pass too. Nobody is ever in a good position, and he constantly has to try getting himself into space, so he can find someone who is just standing around, waiting for the play to progress, instead of getting somewhere where he can recieve a pass.

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 12:34 PM
This is not about giving deguzman Crap, this is about..askin deguzman to be more razor sharp and dp esque with his distribution.he has the ability! The best Dp IMO is one who can draw 2-3 defenders everytime they touch the ball and maybe get pass one or the both on a good day.

v00d00daddy
08-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Other players such as Dero, play with the same players as JDG and yet seem to come up with quality passes on a regular basis. Dero served one up on a platter for Peterson against NYRB that should have been a goal. I'm not asking JDG to play down to less talented players level, I'm saying he should be able to better anticipate where these guys are moving to on the pitch and play more quality balls to them after practicing with them for 6 months. I'm definitely not asking him to miss the net, I'm asking him to connect on his passes.

If you want TFC to have the same talent level as a top team in La Liga so JDG looks better, you could be waiting for a long while.

Don't kid yourself. DeRo makes lots of mistakes every single game. The only difference is that he always gets a pass from us because he's DeRo and for all he's done.

Game by game though...DeRo is just as frustrating a player for me as JDG....probably more.

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I disagree! Dero does have his tunnel vision sometimes, but when he's on! he's very hard to stop!.

v00d00daddy
08-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I disagree! Dero does have his tunnel vision sometimes, but when he's on! he's very hard to stop!.

And how many games ago was that he was last "on"?

I know its a different debate but it falls back on measuring ones expectations.

bigtfcfan
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised there is no criticism for Labrocca. He has been complete crap so far IMO.

DichioTFC
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
The area you're talking about is the Ironbound, at least 20 minutes away, in downtown Newark. It's much, much further than Liberty Village is from BMO, and I stand by my comments.

95% of Tristate area footie fans aren't interested in the "charm" of the Ironbound, and in any scenario, whether you come from Newark directly, take the PATH, or drive, you've got a long walk through the set of the Road Warrior to get to the stadium.

If you don't think it matters, OK. I think it might.

The area I'm talking about is where El Pastor Bar is, which is a 10 minute walk to the game and where the NYRB fans park before the game. Seriously, Google Map it (570 Market Street, Newark, NJ 07105-2908) and see how far it takes to walk from Red Bull Arena.

Driving must've been a bitch, but the PATH was pretty decent. Maybe we had different experiences, but I had a better post-match experience at the NYRB bar than I've had at Shoeless or other places for other teams.

But then again, it really doesn't matter. Just next time you go to NYC, I would strongly recommend going to the area postgame.

ensco
08-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Dero hasn't been great lately. He may be getting worn out.

But seriously, the guy is in the league MVP conversation (or at least was until recently). He's not relevant to the JDG discussion.

ensco
08-13-2010, 12:57 PM
The area I'm talking about is where El Pastor Bar is, which is a 10 minute walk to the game and where the NYRB fans park before the game. Seriously, Google Map it (570 Market Street, Newark, NJ 07105-2908) and see how far it takes to walk from Red Bull Arena.

Driving must've been a bitch, but the PATH was pretty decent. Maybe we had different experiences, but I had a better post-match experience at the NYRB bar than I've had at Shoeless or other places for other teams.

But then again, it really doesn't matter. Just next time you go to NYC, I would strongly recommend going to the area postgame.

OK hear you.

Sounds like you were with savvy locals. Makes a big difference how you perceive the area.

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 01:05 PM
And how many games ago was that he was last "on"?

I know its a different debate but it falls back on measuring ones expectations.
are you trying to tell Dero didnt earn any points in our last span of games.

Section 117
08-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Other players such as Dero, play with the same players as JDG and yet seem to come up with quality passes on a regular basis. Dero served one up on a platter for Peterson against NYRB that should have been a goal. I'm not asking JDG to play down to less talented players level, I'm saying he should be able to better anticipate where these guys are moving to on the pitch and play more quality balls to them after practicing with them for 6 months. I'm definitely not asking him to miss the net, I'm asking him to connect on his passes.

If you want TFC to have the same talent level as a top team in La Liga so JDG looks better, you could be waiting for a long while.

Not to hate on Dero as I respect what he has done for us, but the reason he is a way above avergae MLS player and not playing in Europe with a quality side is he gives up possesion way too much. He makes a few nice passes, but how many times game in and game out he tries to take on the team and gives up possession?? He looses possession quite frequently, but since he scores (ususaly) it gets over looked.

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm surprised there is no criticism for Labrocca. He has been complete crap so far IMO.

Disagree I think he's been luke warm but not crap.....I think his final ball is suspect though.

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Not to hate on Dero as I respect what he has done for us, but the reason he is a way above avergae MLS player and not playing in Europe with a quality side is he gives up possesion way too much. He makes a few nice passes, but how many times game in and game out he tries to take on the team and gives up possession?? He looses possession quite frequently, but since he scores (ususaly) it gets over looked.

Acm players give up possesion sometimes its part of the creative process, Dero works hard and always has his eye on the prize and thats what I respect.his confidence should be revered.

razor787
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Yea, but when there is a player that is in an open position, just outside the box and DeRo is 10 feet outside it, he doesnt need to keep cracking a shot, and missing the target.

He acts as if he is the only player that knows how to play, and although he is a great player, it has definately prevented goals on numerous occasions.

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes your right, but thats a coaching thing. I find dero passes and try's to link with players he deems worthy. I would like Dero to see his options more but only preki can make him do it.

razor787
08-13-2010, 01:21 PM
At this stage in someones career, if they are a greedy player, the coach can do very little about it. Players like DeRo get in there head "I can make this shot" or
"I have dribbled around him before, I can do it again" and go at things themselves, even though there is a great option open.

It is very difficult for coaches to take that voice in your head away, and I would put money down, that preki has been trying.

DichioTFC
08-13-2010, 01:22 PM
OK hear you.

Sounds like you were with savvy locals. Makes a big difference how you perceive the area.

For sure. Hope your experience next time is a better one.
:)

DichioTFC
08-13-2010, 01:24 PM
At this stage in someones career, if they are a greedy player, the coach can do very little about it. Players like DeRo get in there head "I can make this shot" or
"I have dribbled around him before, I can do it again" and go at things themselves, even though there is a great option open.

It is very difficult for coaches to take that voice in your head away, and I would put money down, that preki has been trying.

You say greedy, I say confident. And hit or miss, I would prefer a player that takes a shot rather than a player that holds up the ball in the box and tries to be cute around 2 or 3 defenders. First thing they teach you in youth soccer is shoot it. Even if it deflects and goes out for a corner, its still a good opportunity.

I find nothing wrong with DeRo's shot selection.

razor787
08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I dont have a problem with DeRo shooting, except when its from a great distance. Whenever he does it, the ball goes way over the net, or goes to the side. He rarely gets distance shots on target. Its a much better option to pass to someone, or to even run up closer, and take a shot from closer to the goal.

DichioTFC
08-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I dont have a problem with DeRo shooting, except when its from a great distance. Whenever he does it, the ball goes way over the net, or goes to the side. He rarely gets distance shots on target. Its a much better option to pass to someone, or to even run up closer, and take a shot from closer to the goal.

Well, the long range shots I tend to agree with, but it does put a keeper on his toes, and you never know when you get lucky.

Section 117
08-13-2010, 01:32 PM
It is not his shot selection it is sometimes lack of distribution that hurts the team. Even the greatest players in the game don't try and beat three or four people all the time.

Being selective of when to taken on players, pass to team mates and or shoot is what makes an above average player great IMO.

Again I am not hating on Dero I repect and admire all he has done for us, but if you look as whole yes he scores goals for us but he looses the ball cheaply too often IMO.

I wish he would play like he did against Montagua at home I think that was his most complete game in a TFC uniform

razor787
08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
It is not his shot selection it is sometimes lack of distribution that hurts the team. Even the greatest players in the game don't try and beat three or four people all the time.

Being selective of when to taken on players, pass to team mates and or shoot is what makes an above average player great IMO.

Again I am not hating on Dero I repect and admire all he has done for us, but if you look as whole yes he scores goals for us but he looses the ball cheaply too often IMO.

I wish he would play like he did against Montagua at home I think that was his most complete game in a TFC uniform

I agree. I love DeRo, and think he is the best player we have. But it is very frustrating to know that he is holding himself, and the team back, by being greedy. He will dribble around guys, and shoot from distance way too often. Imagine how high up we would be if he learned to pass more. With Barrett on great form this season, and Maicon looking great, there is no longer the excuse that he has no options to pass too. Either of them have the ability to send home a pass from DeRo.

razor787
08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Don't disagree about Dero's tendencies. He gets frustrated often, like when Peterson missed that sitter, and then stops passing.

I certainly have sympathy for JDG's issues. In Europe, no matter what position you play if you're not moving into open space, you're probably moving fairly quickly to the bench. It's not the same in MLS.

My point is that no matter who your teammates are, someone has to step up and be the best player on the team. No magic wand is going to bring in a dozen quality players to TFC. At some point you have to adjust to what you've got and make the best of it. With the sound of things, you would think that having JDG on the pitch is hurting the team. Julian has really been helping us this season. He is always option #1 for a pass, he holds the ball up great, and he has the footwork to dribble around guys if he gets into a tight spot. Only problem is, most people want to see goals from him, and they expected him to come in, and create 3 goals a game. No player will bring that to a team.

DoubleUp
08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
With the sound of things, you would think that having JDG on the pitch is hurting the team. Julian has really been helping us this season. He is always option #1 for a pass, he holds the ball up great, and he has the footwork to dribble around guys if he gets into a tight spot. Only problem is, most people want to see goals from him, and they expected him to come in, and create 3 goals a game. No player will bring that to a team.

yes Goals would be great! but Iam talking about more influential play .

razor787
08-13-2010, 02:01 PM
He cant rise up and make the people around him better. He has been doing fairly well IMO to work with his surroundings, but when the players around him arent coming to his aid, it makes it quite difficuly. The only way to see DeGuzman showcase his skill, is to if you start him with DeRo, Mista, and, (if we sign him) Inzagi (however you spell it) on a regular basis. With those 3 guys creating options for DeGuzman to move the play with, you will really see him shine.

v00d00daddy
08-13-2010, 02:15 PM
yes Goals would be great! but Iam talking about more influential play .

I agree with this. I wish he had more impact on the game.

As for scoring.....I look at DeRo, Barrett, Mista, Santos, OBW for goals. They're the ones that should be scoring..and if TFC is not scoring enough they're the ones to blame.

Again...would we prefer to have no JDG and an unused DP spot?

Not me.

As for DeRo.....he's a very talented player but he's selfish and a bit of a glory hound. Not really in a bad way but it hurts the team sometimes.

Take a look at the Game in 6 against Chivas. 4 minutes in DeRo is given a beautiful ball by Mista and DeRo shows his character. Rather than slot the ball far post..nice and easy...he decides to try and drill it short side. Looking for glory. This is the kind of shit that drives me crazy about him. He has all the talent to start the play, time a great run, get into a perfect spot on the field and then......his head tells him to go for the beautiful finish instead of the simple finish. I don't get it.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/

from Aug 7th, 2010. I don't know how to embed the proper link...sorry.

razor787
08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Yea, it is frustrating as hell. He has the skill to play in Europe, yet he overthinks, and makes his game suffer. Shots like that happen all too often from DeRo

Pachuco
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Yea, it is frustrating as hell. He has the skill to play in Europe, yet he overthinks, and makes his game suffer. Shots like that happen all too often from DeRo

It is absurd to me that there are people who watch the same games as me that prefer to pick on Dero then JDG. BUt hey, I realize everyone has his opinion. I just personally think those that attack Dero don't like his personality. Seen it too many times before with a cocky player like Dero. Where is JDG is a pretty difficult guy to dislike, after all, he's very likable. Regardless, I refuse to think that someone actually thinks JDG does more for this team then Dero does.

Roogsy
08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
For real Pachuco.

People here know I am pro-DeRo, cause I don't hide it. But there is a reason I am pro-DeRo: The man has produced. Yeah he has his downsides, but name me one player on this team that doesn't? But to complain about DeRo, the ONLY player to have consistently produced for this team since his arrival is mindboggling especially considering he isn't the top paid player...nor quite possibly the 2nd top paid player on this team.

Derko
08-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I think this could be or should be a discussion of it's own, the merits of Dero, DeGuzman, I think both players bring a lot to the team, but at times as we have all pointed out, one or the other has not shown their true potential, and it was just frustrating against the NYRB. because TFC could have should have won that game, as was said earlier, the first 10 minutes looked very good and then, bang TFC falls apart. that is where the leadership and spark from arguably TFC's 2 best outfield players has to be demonstrated, these two are pros who have played at top level, at times we do not see that. just my opinion, and as always support the team through good and bad, but hopefully have constructive and objective criticisms.

Cheers

ilikemusic
08-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Predictable result.

If this team has done anything consistently it is play up/down to the occasion.

Oldtimer
08-14-2010, 08:38 AM
I think this could be or should be a discussion of it's own, the merits of Dero, DeGuzman, I think both players bring a lot to the team, but at times as we have all pointed out, one or the other has not shown their true potential, and it was just frustrating against the NYRB. because TFC could have should have won that game, as was said earlier, the first 10 minutes looked very good and then, bang TFC falls apart. that is where the leadership and spark from arguably TFC's 2 best outfield players has to be demonstrated, these two are pros who have played at top level, at times we do not see that. just my opinion, and as always support the team through good and bad, but hopefully have constructive and objective criticisms.

Cheers

There was a thread started on our forwards a while ago:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=23570

Pachuco
08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Pachuco if JDG was making $300k would that be ok insteand of making $1.7 mill. If your answer is yes then it isn't his fault that Mo or MLSE or whoever gave him that contract. We wouldn't been having this this discussion IMO.

Hey Section 117 if Obrian White was signed as a DP on this team would you be asking for his ass to get canned? I'd be shocked if you said no. Of course price has something to do with it. How could it not in a league where you have to be really wise about how money is spent. it doesn't matter if you think it's MLSE's fault or whether I think JDG has some blame at the end of the day wasting a DP slot on a guy who doesn't perform hurts the team. I have a solution, fire MOs ass and replace JDG with two solid 200K players. This team obviously needs some depth and for 200K you can pick up a pretty decent winger and a decent DM.

I know it's easier said then done, just giving some perspective. You could sign someone like Alonzo who is a more then capable DM in this league and another Maicon. What I'd reaally want to happen though is JDG takes a massive pay cut when his first 2 years are up which gives us the ability to keep him at the price he's worth and sign more players with the leftover money. I think Mo is going to have some negotiating power with JDG once he realizes that there are no offers (once again) from any top leagues in the world.