PDA

View Full Version : Dear CBC Sports Producers

Gixmo
08-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Please take note of the quality of that GOLHD brings tonight.

Beautiful.. BEAUTIFUL...

that is all

ilikemusic
08-11-2010, 06:44 PM
It does look spectacular.:hump:

Alixir
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
to bad for Bell users. No GolTV HD there.

tfc2007
08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
it was only 420p?
it was not that good.
CBC HD is in 720p.... it has a clearer picture.

08-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I found all the snapzooms from the game camera quite annoying. I hope that was his first try at the position. Didn't really seem to know his assignment, and it was extremely off-putting.

prizby
08-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Gixmo, those weren't goltv cameras in Red Bull Arena...remember that ;)

Gixmo
08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
it was only 420p?
it was not that good.
CBC HD is in 720p.... it has a clearer picture.

I don't know man, I have NEVER seen CBC as clear as GOL was tonight, crisp... Colors were fantastic... You could see stiching in the kit

CBC does not have that, ever.. It's night and day. CBC HD is renowed as.. well crap..

Comparison - World cup...

As for who's cameras, I agree entirely = RBA is likely a shrine of technology... but really, the point I'm trying to make is CBC wake up, Invest in your equipment. If you can tell me that CBC HD (Soccer, Football, hockey) is on par with the other major networks, then I need your TV as mine isnt cutting it anymore

08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey Gixmo,

Something to consider is that colours look sharper under night lights.

CBC doesn't do night games.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Martyn

James Oliphant
08-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Wrong.

Waggy
08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Ya as has been said, I don't think CBC or Gol TV bring their own equipment on the road, they're at the mercy of the local cameras. No big shock that New York would have the best

Hustle
08-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Expressvu: Channel 1412 is GOL HD.

Gixmo
08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Hey Gixmo,

Something to consider is that colours look sharper under night lights.

CBC doesn't do night games.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Martyn

Understood..

How about I make it clearer for all :) CBC's HD is shit. It was refreshing, regardless of who owns the equipment, to see the game in such clarity

End of story..

As for Bell, It's there.. It's where I watched it during a rainstorm ;p

Darlofletch
08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Ya as has been said, I don't think CBC or Gol TV bring their own equipment on the road, they're at the mercy of the local cameras. No big shock that New York would have the best

shame that whoever was directing the broadcast, and deciding what we see was such a complete moron. way too many replays and player close ups while play was going on, happens all the time at the away games, drives me nuts.

Carts
08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
shame that whoever was directing the broadcast, and deciding what we see was such a complete moron. way too many replays and player close ups while play was going on, happens all the time at the away games, drives me nuts.

Absolutely...

Its that North American mentality of iso's and yapping about players & different stories - works in most North American sports b/c there's stoppages, but not in footy...

All Canadian networks (and USA networks probably too) need to have an off-season where they study broadcasts from around the world, and change their thinking, change their style...

North American sports TV has been built on flash & dash, graphics, side stories, and close ups - in footy, you need to use those replays & closeups very, very carefully - and go with the rule 'when in doubt leave it out'...

Carts...

H Bomb
08-11-2010, 10:11 PM
So right Carts. Me and my old man were commenting that all we really want is one camera on the game and timely replays....sadly this just doesnt fit into the north american viewing mentality.

Pachuco
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM

You totally missed out, game was in HD on GolTV on Bell. Just noticed last week that they added the channel now.

And yes I agree, that was some serious quality HD.

Gixmo
08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Absolutely...

Its that North American mentality of iso's and yapping about players & different stories - works in most North American sports b/c there's stoppages, but not in footy...

All Canadian networks (and USA networks probably too) need to have an off-season where they study broadcasts from around the world, and change their thinking, change their style...

North American sports TV has been built on flash & dash, graphics, side stories, and close ups - in footy, you need to use those replays & closeups very, very carefully - and go with the rule 'when in doubt leave it out'...

Carts...

I also feel inclined to mention that TSN's HD quality is great, and I spend 80% of my team on that for any sports. I'm excited to see how the EPL looks on both TSN/TSN2. It maybe one of the smartest moves the network ever took. I'd be complete if you guys would just tape delay Formula One and play it at a standard time Sunday morning, say 10 or 12 leading into Nascar.. (Don't judge me).

Who's hosting the Sat/Sun pregame?

I'm just disappointed in CBC, tis all

Stryker
08-12-2010, 03:07 AM
They sure managed to botch the game sounds though. Nothing could be heard from pitch level and the already quiet crowd was dead silent. Really killed the atmosphere if a quality game.

Ps The damn ad at the end of the score bar is still too big. They stack the score/time so they can make it twice as big as any other network and throw a big ass KIA ad on the end. Bush league.

Brooker
08-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Ps The damn ad at the end of the score bar is still too big. They stack the score/time so they can make it twice as big as any other network and throw a big ass KIA ad on the end. Bush league.

http://media.podhoster.com/thatradio/images/bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329 .jpg

ecospice
08-12-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't know man, I have NEVER seen CBC as clear as GOL was tonight, crisp... Colors were fantastic... You could see stiching in the kit

CBC does not have that, ever.. It's night and day. CBC HD is renowed as.. well crap..

Comparison - World cup...

As for who's cameras, I agree entirely = RBA is likely a shrine of technology... but really, the point I'm trying to make is CBC wake up, Invest in your equipment. If you can tell me that CBC HD (Soccer, Football, hockey) is on par with the other major networks, then I need your TV as mine isnt cutting it anymore

Not a fair comparison. Last night was a night game and CBC shows its soccer games, for the most part, during the day. This makes a difference. As well, last night was stated by GOL TV to be an 'enhanced' HD broadcast. Overall, GOL's HD broadcast last night was a bit better than CBC, but I think the time of day and lighting is the main reason. Don't forget, CBC has only so many HD trucks and a mandate to bring a broad range of programming to Canadians. GOL's mandate is much narrower.

Still, I hope that GOL uses the enhanced HD for the CONCACAF Champions League.

McBrace
08-12-2010, 07:12 AM

I'm on BEll Expressvu, and I had it in HD...

Joe Kool
08-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Anything looks good to me after the Motagua away game feed.

__wowza
08-12-2010, 08:25 AM

that game would've looked better on the radio.

phonzo
08-12-2010, 08:28 AM
i thought it looked so clear because the power of Lasik MD...you mean it wasn't that...son of a bitch!

Alixir
08-12-2010, 08:34 AM
You totally missed out, game was in HD on GolTV on Bell. Just noticed last week that they added the channel now.

And yes I agree, that was some serious quality HD. yeah now I know :(
The Bolton game was on GolTV HD and at that time only Rogers had it. I had no idea that bell had added it. Good to know for future reference thx.

Boondaddy
08-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I also feel inclined to mention that TSN's HD quality is great, and I spend 80% of my team on that for any sports. I'm excited to see how the EPL looks on both TSN/TSN2. It maybe one of the smartest moves the network ever took. I'd be complete if you guys would just tape delay Formula One and play it at a standard time Sunday morning, say 10 or 12 leading into Nascar.. (Don't judge me).

Who's hosting the Sat/Sun pregame?

I'm just disappointed in CBC, tis all

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not F1!!!!!

I agree CBC HD is SHIT when you compare it to ANY OTHER HD BROADCAST. I don't know why but it is....

Boondaddy
08-12-2010, 08:56 AM

true is that....worst quality I have EVER seen....almost unwatchable.

Carts
08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not F1!!!!!

I agree CBC HD is SHIT when you compare it to ANY OTHER HD BROADCAST. I don't know why but it is....

Fear not, with the CRTC changing TSN2's license, there's no more tape delaying things...

The tape delay (3-hours) was mandated by the government (CRTC)....

Both networks will be running 24-hours independantly shortly...

Carts...

SilverSamurai
08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I've only seen CBC HD with hockey and think it looks great.
But it's true, they only have a few trucks and they have to spread them out through the country...

mr k
08-12-2010, 10:19 AM
CBC also needs to work their camera setup at BMO Field. Compared to ESPN, TFC TV and Sportsnet, it is crap. For example, why do they insist on panning the crowd in the prawn sections? Nothing is going on there and nothing will.

Parkdale
08-12-2010, 10:34 AM
comments on colour are so subjective (as is the whole process of colour correction).

I honestly think that most people think bumping up the saturation actually means 'better colour'.

JonO
08-12-2010, 10:42 AM
True - same as why most people probably have their TV on "vivid" setting.

Now I can't compare because I never saw the broadcast yesterday, but there are definitely HD cameras that are better than others and signals that better processed than others.

Anyone know what they mean by 'enhanced' HD?

Parkdale
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
True - same as why most people probably have their TV on "vivid" setting.

that's a pet peeve of mine.

A huge amount of effort goes into giving television and movie a set colour look (and the mood that a well planned colour scheme can provide), and yet any bozo who can operate his TV menu thinks he's a better judge of how it should look than the people who make the content.

reminds me of the people who used to complain about letterboxed movies because "I paid for a whole TV, so why would I only watch a movie on part of it?" (yes, I overheard this once on the TTC).

Gixmo
08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
^^^ I agree entirely, having spent several years in calibration and diagnostics with a major US Retailer - I've got my hands wrapped around what is, and is not, good quality.. That doesn't make me a bozo for contesting the lack of sharpness in a CBC broadcast (Regardless of sport, truck, equipment etc.. it's still light years behind)

Let's move away from even comparing soccer broadcasts.. Compare NBC vs CBC when it comes to hockey. Same game, same arena, same time - light years apart

As for F1, I'm fine with that - I just have a thing wiht getting up at 430 for a race, fiancee don't like that lol :)

Carts... I'm still waiting, Can you hook me up with Hedger for dinner.. I just want her to talk stats to me.

thisisinternetclash
08-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I thought CBC's World Cup coverage looked quite nice. I wasn't aware that there were perceived issues with that. Obviously their TFC picture quality looks nowhere near that good.

Boschmeister
08-12-2010, 03:56 PM
We are on the second page of the thread and we are talking about GOL TV in HD and nobody has made any creepy offside comments about Andi Petrillo....this board is really going down hill.

rocker
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
We are on the second page of the thread and we are talking about GOL TV in HD and nobody has made any creepy offside comments about Andi Petrillo....this board is really going down hill.

did anyone watch the game online last night? During the breaks, there are no commercials (I guess it's a direct feed). Anyway, sometimes you'd hear Petrillo talking to her producer from the sidelines, not realizing everyone on the internet can hear. She didn't say anything bad, but she sounded like a total man joking with the guys. Seems like a total tom-boy! haha

Canary Canuck
08-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I've only seen CBC HD with hockey and think it looks great.

When NBC was simultaneously broadcasting the same game as CBC during the playoffs there was a noticeable difference in quality between the two.

Boondaddy
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM

I did twice yesterday....

Boondaddy
08-12-2010, 06:58 PM
She had to step it up a bit due to HD picture...with success I would say.

Humina!

Alixir
08-12-2010, 07:00 PM
CBC also needs to work their camera setup at BMO Field. Compared to ESPN, TFC TV and Sportsnet, it is crap. For example, why do they insist on panning the crowd in the prawn sections? Nothing is going on there and nothing will.
actually they need to move the center field cameras up so you can see more of the pitch. Also makes the pitch look bigger.
The constant zoom-ins on players not only with CBC but the other broadcasts aswell have on more then one occasion missed goals.
I would much rather watch Dero setup Barrett for a nice goal then watch Usanov constantly fix his hair.