PDA

View Full Version : TFC really promoting the CCL

Oldtimer
08-11-2010, 08:00 AM
I've been hearing radio ads... something new for TFC.

Also, today 24 Hours Toronto had the following front pages ad:

Page 1:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=2528

Page 2:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=2529

You could see this as both positive and negative:

Negative: They are having problems selling out this game

Positive: (1) They really believe in this tournament
(2) They think that Torontonians will really embrace this competition with a bit of education as to its importance (directing people to the "CONCACAF for rookies" feature on the Toronto FC website).

There seems to be some "buzz" being generated about this tournament. Twice, I've overheard people discussing going to it that don't seem to be SSH.

celt-nick
08-11-2010, 08:07 AM
The traffic reports on the Edge have been brought to us by TFC lately....

jabbronies
08-11-2010, 08:19 AM
TFC are getting the message.

A lot of complaints about the CCL game against Montagua was that there was no advertising about it. The North end was pretty much half empty.

Suds
08-11-2010, 08:21 AM
It makes sense to promote this. It's something new for TFC and their fans. I'm sure there are a lot of people on the fence about spending more of their money on this round of tickets. A little education and buzz around the tournament might be just the thing to help them decide they want to watch this live.

It's also an opportunity to get to some of those one-off tickets buyers out there to jump in a buy a few games together. That may be all they need to upgrade to a partial pack of some sort.

Sure, part of it is they have tickets to move. That's expected. MSLE is in the business of selling tickets for entertainment.

I agree there is some buzz around this starting to build.

Parkdale
08-11-2010, 08:48 AM
there's always a fine line.

The team needs to be successful at the ticket booth, AND on the field.

We care about success on the field exclusively, but a truly successful club needs to do well in both aspects.

DavydMT
08-11-2010, 08:54 AM
there's always a fine line.

The team needs to be successful at the ticket booth, AND on the field.

We care about success on the field exclusively, but a truly successful club needs to do well in both aspects.

i also care about success in the stands, Cruz Azul banner painting today at 12.00 next to Esther Shiner stadium :)

Fort York Redcoat
08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
This is such a good thing. More marketing and some edumacation to boot!

icecoldbeer
08-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I've seen banner ads for the game on ESPN Soccernet too

AL-MO
08-11-2010, 08:58 AM
TFC are getting the message.

A lot of complaints about the CCL game against Montagua was that there was no advertising about it. The North end was pretty much half empty.

They realized these games just don't sell themselves like MLS regular season games.

I for one am glad to hear the advertising. (I've been hearing them on 680 news) At least they have something other than US (the Supporters) to market now.

Parkdale
08-11-2010, 09:00 AM
At least they have something other than US (the Supporters) to market now.

I can see the billboards now....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/mike24k/lumpy_and_almo.jpg

Toronto FC - Come hang with these guys

;)

Wagner
08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
^^^Epic

rocker
08-11-2010, 09:11 AM
i think at some point they had to advertise more. This team has had great success on word of mouth and social media, but eventually to get bigger you gotta get beyond that... even if people don't buy Cruz Azul tickets, they at least have heard of this Toronto FC thing. I don't go to Jays games but I see Jays ads on TV and see the ads around town.

Parkdale
08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
I think the part that's a bit harder for TFC (or at least unique to TFC in this town)
is the concept of games outside of league play that actually mean something.

Soccer types understand Champions League, but most people do not.
They probably understand the idea of 'exhibition matches (aka friendlies)'
but not that a game outside the league we're part of can be important.

There's no comparable inter-league play with Baseball-Hockey-Basketball-NFL,
and that's what makes it a tough sell.

Don Julio
08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah, the population en masse has no idea what's going on. I had to watch the Motagua away leg at Shox's in the Junction due to helping some friends in the neighbourhood. I spend about 2/3rds of the game having to explain to everyone in the bar

a) Why we were playing Hondurans
b) Why it mattered if we win
c) How exactly 2-leg scoring worked

And c) was no easy feat for a bunch of dunk baseball fans.

I don't think it's necessarily a tough sell - when we make it deep, or at least into the knockout stages, the general population will get behind the team like it did in Montreal.

Parkdale
08-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think it's necessarily a tough sell - when we make it deep, or at least into the knockout stages, the general population will get behind the team like it did in Montreal.

keep in mind, when Montreal hosted like 40,000+ people for their one big match, there was a deal between Saputo and Olympic Stadium (not like TFC and Rogers) AND many of those tickets were freebies. I understand they just wanted to get a huge crowd, and that's awesome, but can we see MLSE renting (and paying) for the skydome and them selling $12 tickets? Highly unlikely.

mastermixer
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Those concacaf for dummies spots are pretty bush league, I can't believe they are using that to represent TFC. Jimmy B sounds like he's stammering through the script on those things.
We need Rocky IV type hype montages going!!

james
08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
any idea how many tickets have been sold for the first game?

TFC115
08-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I saw advertisments on the screens in the subway when coming back home on the subway last night.

Parkdale
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
it makes perfect sense to push it.

you get the curious people into the stadium,
you get the Mexican, Panamanian and Real SaltLakians interested
you play up that the team is actually doing okay (MLSE doesn't have much else)

TorCanSoc
08-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Advertising works. Glad to see TFC getting some respect as entity under MLSE.

daner90
08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
The only negative part about all this promotion is that the average person who wants to watch these game because they heard/saw ads for it probably doesn't have Gol TV and won't be able to casually watch it on TV. That may turn them off of it a bit...

nfitz
08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
keep in mind, when Montreal hosted like 40,000+ people for their one big match, there was a deal between Saputo and Olympic Stadium (not like TFC and Rogers) AND many of those tickets were freebies. I understand they just wanted to get a huge crowd, and that's awesome, but can we see MLSE renting (and paying) for the skydome and them selling $12 tickets? Highly unlikely.Over 55,000 ... and while many were freebies, many if not most were paid tickets.

It's a very different situation; the Olympic Stadium is government owned, and underused; the government is looking for reasons to rent it out, and the rental of the Olympic Stadium is a fraction of what Rogers would charge for the Skydome. I think I recall hearing it was only $100,000 to rent at the time.

Also Montreal had 4 months to hype this game and sell tickets, with very little going on sports-wise at the time in the city, other than sold-out Canadiens games. For many people the opportunity to be inside Olympic Stadium in the middle of winter was itself a unique event that helped ticket sales - there's this sentimental thing Montrealers seem to have about that stadium. And while the place is pretty dire with only 20,000 or 30,000 in, there's this great atmosphere that finally sets in with 50,000 in the place. It was a magical place to watch the Expos and Manic when the place was sold-out ... a quarter-century ago. I was almost tempted to jump in the car and drive down ... particularly when I found out how many of my relatives had bought tickets ... relatives who I don't think have paid for soccer tickets in over a quarter-century.

And while the cheap tickets were only $10 (plus fees and taxes); there were 4 other price ranges from $20 to $50 (http://www.montrealimpact.com/Concacaf/); watching on TV the other price ranges seemed to be sold out; it was only in the 400s at the one side. I'd think the food and alcohol sales from 55,000 people would more than pay for the ticket give-aways.

Could it happen here? Good question ... if we have to play a February 22nd game, it might force them to look at options. And if they could cut a good deal with Rogers, perhaps it might also pay TFC in the long run to pack the house. Though Toronto is probably a much harder city to even market to than Montreal ... the Quebec media likely did much of the marketing for free ... and has a much higher penetration than the Toronto media.

The Impact seem to have won from the deal; it has likely permanently increased their season ticket sales, and may even have been the factor that convinced MLS to put a franchise in Montreal.

Parkdale
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
^ great post.

and worth noting that the tickets were from $20 to $50. Want to guess what it would cost to see TFC at the dome?

There were rumours floating around back then that up to 10,000 tickets were giveaways and promotion through Saputo (the company). Still it got bums in the seats, and like you said, did a great deal of good for the Impact's brand. Hosting the Trophe Des Champion (France's 3rd top prize) was also a BIG deal for them.

james
08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
i think for TFC to get sky Dome full (53,000)for a Concacaf Champions League quarter final they would have to have the whole upper deck on sale for like $10. Middle deck $15-$20 and lower bowl $25-$40. If they are to have prices like BMO field then i think youd have alot of empty seats.

__wowza
08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
any way you slice it, it's good to see that MLSE is finally pushing the team. we've been doing well getting asses in seats based off of word of mouth alone as has been mentioned but it's interesting seeing them try to explain CCL to north american fans.

personally, i think they're going about it wrong and need to build up the hype instead of the explanation. most north americans care about "playoffs" rather than tournaments, so they could've done fine with just the first page.

fuck they made the voyagers cup look important in that photo though eh?

__wowza
08-11-2010, 11:26 AM
agreed, great post nfitz.
while not government owned, i can't imagine the rogers would be in a much better position to negotiate with skydome. if you can pack it 50,000 full, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone at rogers thinking about not budging on rental costs. BMO would obviously go ballistic in their marketing of the game, and you'd be able to give the skydome attendance it hasn't seen in years.

denime
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I can see the billboards now....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/mike24k/lumpy_and_almo.jpg

Toronto FC - Come hang with our Sunshine Boys

;)

FIXED :D

H Bomb
08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Advertising is good. Its probably happening to sell tickets but it will also creates awareness, which we now need as the glean of the first few seasons has worn off. If only Ccl for rookies wasnt presented as ccl for retards we'd be doing a good job of educating.

mmmikey
08-11-2010, 11:56 AM
i've tried to explain to ppl what these games about.. normally there is zero response, or they think..... so its a friendly? OR worse... "honduras has a team in MLS?"

u can see from the lack of success in the US, cup competitions don't fit into the NA thought process when it comes to pro sports, unless its a playoff tourney at the end. ive started explaining that it is like a WC style tourney of clubs all over NA.. that seems to work best.

Cashcleaner
08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm really glad to see TFC promoting the CCL like this. And I'm sure it doesn't mean a lot to most people on here who are familiar with the rules for qualification and whatnot, but instead of trying to fill them in on how TFC makes it into the CCL, I just show them the Jimmy B slips that talk about it and it all seems to make sense to them.

Oldtimer
08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
^ great post.

and worth noting that the tickets were from $20 to $50. Want to guess what it would cost to see TFC at the dome?

There were rumours floating around back then that up to 10,000 tickets were giveaways and promotion through Saputo (the company). Still it got bums in the seats, and like you said, did a great deal of good for the Impact's brand. Hosting the Trophe Des Champion (France's 3rd top prize) was also a BIG deal for them.

So, even if they gave away 10K tickets, and sold 45,000 at an average price, of say $30, that's $1,350,000. I'm certain that MLS would have looked favourably at that. Garber mentioned that match time and time again when they were talking about expansion, and it may have been the "tipping point" that made it worthwhile to hammer out a deal with Joey, even after their earlier expansion fee dispute.

If TFC could get anywhere near that, it would pay for a lot of rent to Rogers, not to mention profits for MLSE. No wonder they are taking the CCL seriously this time around.

Yohan
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Rogers Centre... no grass...

james
08-11-2010, 01:04 PM
i've tried to explain to ppl what these games about.. normally there is zero response, or they think..... so its a friendly? OR worse... "honduras has a team in MLS?"

u can see from the lack of success in the US, cup competitions don't fit into the NA thought process when it comes to pro sports, unless its a playoff tourney at the end. ive started explaining that it is like a WC style tourney of clubs all over NA.. that seems to work best.

thats a good way to explain it. Ill try that next time i have to explain to some newbie fan or whatever.

Parkdale
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM

they bring grass in all the time, at a large expense mind you.

ManUtd4ever
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
^^ Yeah, grass would not be an issue at the Rogers Centre. The ticket pricing might be an issue though if TFC was to venture that far in the CCL. If MLSE followed the Montreal model on how to promote a match of that magnitude I have no doubt Torontonians would answer the bell and fill the stadium. I have been to a few friendlies at the Rogers Centre over the years, ManUtd - Celtic most recently, and the venue definitely has potential if TFC was involved CCL semifinal match...

mdc 77
08-11-2010, 01:44 PM
How about if we make it that far we just play at BMO since it's TFC's home. We play outdoors in Toronto, if we have to play in Feb. then so be it.

ManUtd4ever
08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
How about if we make it that far we just play at BMO since it's TFC's home. We play outdoors in Toronto, if we have to play in Feb. then so be it.

That would be great, but highly unlikely in the dead of a typical Toronto winter...

Oldtimer
08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
temp grass = $250,000
Rogers Centre rental (off-season) = ? (maybe $250k?)

There is still profit to be made, here, if they fill the place.

Of course, we're getting a little ahead of ourselves, here. First TFC has to succeed in the group stage.

mdc 77
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
That would be great, but highly unlikely in the dead of a typical Toronto winter...

I realize that, just saying...its where we're from and we play outdoors, deal with it. :)

Yohan
08-11-2010, 02:05 PM
weren't people bitching about the temp grass pitch? like how it was all fucked up and stuff?

Oldtimer
08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Just received this offer at work:

We have been offered a promotion on the following. Please follow the link below to order.

Toronto FC VS Cruz Azul

Tuesday Aug. 17 at 08:00 PM

Cruz Azul are one of the biggest and most successful clubs in Mexico and have won the Primera Division Championship eight times. They were also the only CONCACAF team to reach the Copa Libertadores final, losing on penalties to Argentine giants Boca Juniors in 2001

TFC is going all-out to promote this match.

Rudi
08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Olympic Stadium... no grass...

Petor
08-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Olympic Stadium... no grass...

Both stadiums are grassable(a real word?).

I've heard the commercial on 680(radio news channel in Toronto).
According to the announcer, TFC sponsered this traffic-weather report.
They almost got it right, but I think it sounds more impressive the way they did it.
"Toronto FC playing Cool Azool in the World Championship League." :)
That was early in the morning(5am), I'm sure they got it right by now. :scarf:

Rudi
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Both stadiums are grassable(a real word?).
My point was that Montreal didn't have a problem playing on FieldTurf in the Big Owe, so the fact that Rogers Centre doesnt have grass is not an obstacle.

The Sounders play at Qwest Field on artifical turf, as does Saprissa at their stadium, as do Arabe Unido for that matter.

As long as the turf (natural or artificial) is FIFA approved, it's allowable for official competitions.

Yohan
08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
actually, my point was about general bitching about artificial turf and how people want grass for all matches

SilverSamurai
08-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I saw an ad while waiting for the train in the subway today. The CCL is being promoted on those TTC monitors.

I think Skydome could have more than 55k. I would think closer to 60k. Their could be field level seats if they chose to cram people in there.
Plus theirs also box seats, which will likely fetch a nice dolla.

In all seriousness it's in Rogers best interest to rent out the skydome, otherwise, they make $0 and it's just sitting there, but then again, where else could they host a game in the winter?

Dunc
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I think the part that's a bit harder for TFC (or at least unique to TFC in this town)
is the concept of games outside of league play that actually mean something.

Soccer types understand Champions League, but most people do not.
They probably understand the idea of 'exhibition matches (aka friendlies)'
but not that a game outside the league we're part of can be important.

There's no comparable inter-league play with Baseball-Hockey-Basketball-NFL,
and that's what makes it a tough sell.

I think a good thing about Toronto though is that a friggin tonne of young males have at least a passing knowledge of the UEFA champions leagues. A lot of them are probably the same types that will watch champions league on TSN but don't really like soccer enough to watch TFC normally.

I think emphasising that we've got our own champions league draws in this age bracket more convincingly and a lot of this crowd will be hooked.

Canary Canuck
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Would installing grass in Rogers Centre be a problem at that time of year? What I mean is that I don't think sod can be brought in locally in winter like it has been for summer matches at Rogers Centre. It would have to be trucked in from a place from far enough south that grass can still be grown.

Any sod experts here that can confirm this or reject it? Would it be a problem?

TFCRegina
08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
i think for TFC to get sky Dome full (53,000)for a Concacaf Champions League quarter final they would have to have the whole upper deck on sale for like $10. Middle deck $15-$20 and lower bowl $25-$40. If they are to have prices like BMO field then i think youd have alot of empty seats.

Nothing wrong with that. People undervalue the awareness of a team brand. If 53,000 go out that's 53,000 people talking about the game whether TFC wins or loses. That's merchandise being sold, that's people potentially tuning in to watch in the future. That's FUTURE revenue that you're building that can have long term impacts on the club.

MLSE has stated in the past that soccer is the future of Canada, they have forecasted it like this. They're willing to build their brand in the city, and that's why we've seen them cater to so specifically to the fanbase. They never really expected much initial profit from TFC but that's what they've gotten.

And if they can boost that further and get growth (growth in profits is even more important in business than simply being profitable) the executives get bigger bonuses, and they stick around longer. The shareholders are happier too.

A lesser profit on a big game held in a stadium is great if it leads to longer term higher profits. A single game is a one off, but several years worth of higher merchandise sales is not.

Oldtimer
08-16-2010, 09:15 AM
A lesser profit on a big game held in a stadium is great if it leads to longer term higher profits. A single game is a one off, but several years worth of higher merchandise sales is not.

Also, frendlies like RM last year do boost the brand, but there's nothing like progressing in a meaningful competition against top clubs.