PDA

View Full Version : More opinions on McBride

Ossington Mental Youth
06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=550429&root=mls&cc=5901

2. Make a deal already! Slumping Chicago is losing leverage weekly with Toronto in the Brian McBride joust. It makes less and less sense for the Fire to cling to its current personnel, seeing as how the Toyota Park gang hasn't won an MLS match yet in June. So if Toronto wants Wilman Conde and maybe some other spare part, perhaps the Fire should just give it to them already.
On the other hand, the Fire would be wise to stubbornly keep Justin Mapp off the table. Assuming McBride arrives in Chicago, remember that his game depends on service. Cuauhtemoc Blanco can deliver good balls into McBride from different angles. But Mapp is the only Fire attacker who can consistently supply service from the flanks.

ChrisLav
06-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Steve Goff's blog

"With the USA Olympic women's squad set, we now await the 18-man men's roster. The FIFA deadline is July 23, and with the addition of three overage players adding a wrinkle, U-23 Coach Peter Nowak and national team coach Bob Bradley will have to make some difficult decisions. Keep in mind that, during the Olympics in August, the senior squad has a World Cup qualifier at Guatemala and players in transition with their new Euro clubs might not want to participate. The latest buzz is that forward Brian McBride, a goalkeeper (either Kasey Keller or Brad Guzan) and a defender (how about Jimmy Conrad?) will join the younger players in China. McBride would pair with Freddy Adu or Jozy Altidore up front (if Altidore is on the team)"

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Ossington Mental Youth
06-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Perhaps an agreement has been made?
Can he play for the team without a club?

RedRum
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Am I the only one who finds it silly that you need an entire team of U-23's to qualify for the tournament but then are allowed to bring in 3 ringers for the finals?

Kills the integrity of the entire tourney IMO.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Olympic soccer is nonsense anyways

Toronto_Bhoy
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Have no over aged players and it would be a fantastic tournament! They should do the same for basketball and hockey too…only young guns!

How long do we have McBride's rights for?

Broadview
06-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Am I the only one who finds it silly that you need an entire team of U-23's to qualify for the tournament but then are allowed to bring in 3 ringers for the finals?

Kills the integrity of the entire tourney IMO.

You're right, that's dumb. You outta have to dance with the ones what brought ya, I say.

As far as Chicago and McBride go, the longer there's no deal and they keep on stinking up the league, the better. Then when it finally happens, off to China he'll go for the better part of a month.

For some strange reason, Chicago's misery brings joy to my heart.