PDA

View Full Version : JDG, Cann, Pozniak, Dwayne's old club team - hard as F&%K

Technorgasm
08-09-2010, 11:21 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/soccer-teams-stage-boycott-after-referee-allegedly-threatened-with-gun/article1666203/

Parents and soccer officials in the Greater Toronto Area are up in arms after an incident at an under-13 game last month in which a parent allegedly threatened an assistant referee with a gun.
The York Region Soccer Association has refused to assign officials to games involving North Scarborough Soccer Club’s under-13 team, better known as the Bulldogs, since July 12. On that day, a parent of a Bulldogs player approached an assistant referee after a controversial decision during a 1-0 loss to the Aurora Stingers and allegedly revealed a weapon tucked into his belt. Police were called by an Aurora parent, but no charges were laid. Neither the official nor the parent has been identified.
Four teams – the Woodbridge Strikers, Vaughan Azzurri, Kleinburg Nobleton Reds and most recently the Leaside Tigers, who were due to play the Bulldogs Monday night – have all since refused to play North Scarborough.
“There was the threat that there was a weapon,” said Kent Green, secretary of the YRSA. “Whether a weapon was seen or not seen is not really the point. This is youth soccer and the district’s position, quite frankly, is that we’re not prepared to put our referees in jeopardy.”
Aurora head coach Brian Cooper was reluctant to divulge details.
“We had quite the incident,” he said. “However, I don’t know if I want to see it all over the newspapers. If that’s in, people are going to go, ‘Wow,’ and that’s not really good for soccer, is it? I’m not saying we want to shove it under the carpet either.”
The North Scarborough Soccer Club – which has helped produce players such as Toronto FC midfielder and Canadian international Julian de Guzman – is denying any such incident took place.
“It’s just propaganda, nothing like that happened,” said club president Byron McCormack. “No, absolutely not. It’s not a very responsible statement and I don’t know who’s making those statements.”
However, Mr. McCormack had no explanation for other teams’ unwillingness to play games against the Bulldogs.
“I don’t even know why those games were postponed. I’m still trying to get an answer from the league,” he said. “They haven’t been able to tell me the reason why. I have no idea why they’ve done that and I intend to find out.”
However, parents of the Leaside Tigers under-13 side, which was due to play host to North Scarborough at Flemingdon Park Monday night, are in no doubt as to the reason why they have decided not to play the game.
“We’re refusing to play them because of security purposes,” said the parent of one of the Leaside players, asking that his name be withheld. “Even [Leaside Tigers executive director] John Morgan has said, ‘I’ll hire a police officer or two,’ and I said, ‘Why should we have a cop at a soccer game for 13-year-olds? That’s just stupid.”
The Central Soccer League, in which all the teams compete, held a disciplinary meeting for North Scarborough last Thursday, but refused to comment on the outcome either by phone or by e-mail. A call to the Ontario Soccer Association, which governs the sport in the province, was not returned.
The Leaside parents are concerned that little has been done in the intervening month to resolve the issue.
“Nobody seems to want to talk,” said the same parent. “We’ve tried talking to the CSL and the OSA and we basically know more than we’re supposed to know and they’re trying to keep it hush-hush.
“You know, I kept my son out of hockey because I thought hockey was bad, but when you start bringing a gun to a soccer game for 13-year-olds, then you’ve got issues. It’s got to be dealt with, and the CSL doesn’t seem to want to deal with these things.”
Another Leaside parent believes it’s largely due to a lack of respect toward officials.
“They are out of control some of these people, and nobody’s helping the referee or linesmen at all,” said James Gardner. “They’re not big games – there’s 30 parents maybe at a good game, which is not a lot of people, but still, they do act up.”
The incident again raises the issue of abuse against officials in children’s sports, a matter that Hockey Canada has had to deal with in the past. However, firearms-related offences are almost unheard of at this level of sports.
“It’s incredibly isolated,” said Mr. Green, the YSRA secretary. “We don’t run into a lot of alleged gunplay at soccer games generally. We’ve certainly dealt with a reasonable number of alleged referee assaults, whether they be verbal assault or pushing/shoving/the odd punch in the face or whatever the case may be, that has happened, and we deal with it accordingly under the jurisdiction of wherever the discipline needs to be heard.
“In my [20] years of being involved in this [sport], this is the first I’ve heard of this.”
Incidents such as these, however, can leave an almost indelible mark, especially on the players themselves.
“My son doesn’t want to play. [His friends] don’t want to play,” said the anonymous Leaside parent. “They’re worried. I’d be worried that if I scored the winning goal in the last minute they’d come after me or something.”

Shaughno
08-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Brutal...

Whoop
08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Love how it's so matter of fact.

"We’ve certainly dealt with a reasonable number of alleged referee assaults, whether they be verbal assault or pushing/shoving/the odd punch in the face or whatever the case may be..."

Then people wonder why officiating sucks. Who wants to be an official and have to deal with crap like this? It's common in all youth sports. Some parents take things WAY TOO seriously.

Oblio2
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I was a Registered OSA referee for kids (Rep) and the parents are absolutely brutal. I took a lot of crap off people who acted like their kid was the next Kaka.......The parents are the reason I quit.

Shaughno
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
It's why I quit refereeing. It was one thing having parents or coaches harassing you on the field, but to have a parent threaten to 'find me in the parking lot', was enough to make me quit. Mind you, I didn't have a car back then so he had little chance of finding me there, but the general premise of being treated like shit and making about $15-20 a game is certainly not enticing to say the least.

AL-MO
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
No Soccer organization is going to talk with some random parent calling them up asking them about this. The league and associations will deal with the clubs involved directly.

This is especially the case if the police are involved. If I remember correctly, they just suspend the individual until the legal process has been completed. Problem is this is a parent who isn't registered. They will just come down on the club. HARD

AL-MO
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Love how it's so matter of fact.

"We’ve certainly dealt with a reasonable number of alleged referee assaults, whether they be verbal assault or pushing/shoving/the odd punch in the face or whatever the case may be..."

Then people wonder why officiating sucks. Who wants to be an official and have to deal with crap like this? It's common in all youth sports. Some parents take things WAY TOO seriously.

I was a Registered OSA referee for kids (Rep) and the parents are absolutely brutal. I took a lot of crap off people who acted like their kid was the next Kaka.......The parents are the reason I quit.

It's why I quit refereeing. It was one thing having parents or coaches harassing you on the field, but to have a parent threaten to 'find me in the parking lot', was enough to make me quit. Mind you, I didn't have a car back then so he had little chance of finding me there, but the general premise of being treated like shit and making about $15-20 a game is certainly not enticing to say the least.

Referee assaults are common place in some places in the province unfortunately.

Shaughno
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Sad thing is... it doesn't even have to be at that high of a competitive level either for this shit to happen.

Whoop
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM

That's why I don't gripe about officiating as much. The shit most refs have to deal with to even get to the top is nuts.

It's a shame too because every sport needs people who understand the game to get into the officiating side of things but you have to work your way from the bottom most of the times and it's always parents who fuck things up. Like oblio says some parents treat their kid as an investment and they want a ROI on them.

tfcleeds
08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
For too many parents, they have lost sight of what youth sports is all about. Too many of them view their kid as a future winning lottery ticket. That's why you get all this crap nowadays.

Shaughno
08-09-2010, 11:40 AM
So true. I was ref'ing U-8 boys, rec NOT rep, when I had a MOM tell me that I was treating her son like shit on the field. This was at half time, so I asked her politely what exactly I had done wrong with her son. She said I called offside on him twice (I hadn't called offside once in that game... LOL they're like bumblebees at that age still) and that she felt I was picking on him. I assured her I wasn't and that I would keep a careful eye on him for her. 5 minutes into the half, I call a foul on his team and she starts losing it again LOL her kid wasn't even on the pitch! LOL Like wtf, get a grip woman.

razor787
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I have always wanted to get into reffing, but the crap that you hear about parrents acting crazy, has put me off of it. And if you are only making $20 a game, its not even worth the hassle of having to calm down parrents, and potentially getting the crap kicked out of you by some retarded soccer mom.

DavydMT
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Can some body please comment on a kid’s football in Europe please?

In my opinion the entire setup of youth sports in North America is to blame for this culture of “taking to serious”. Kids play, train, travel too much and parent have to spend too much time and money participating.

Technorgasm
08-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I thought thsi was a joke at first ./ . . turns out. . nope./
JDG sent this to his bro this morning. its their old club team and has apparently no one invlovedis surprised atthis as this team is known for off pitch trouble.

I hope this is not a sign of the state of things in Canada. . . lord help us if it is.

rocker
08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
So true. I was ref'ing U-8 boys, rec NOT rep, when I had a MOM tell me that I was treating her son like shit on the field. This was at half time, so I asked her politely what exactly I had done wrong with her son. She said I called offside on him twice (I hadn't called offside once in that game... LOL they're like bumblebees at that age still) and that she felt I was picking on him. I assured her I wasn't and that I would keep a careful eye on him for her. 5 minutes into the half, I call a foul on his team and she starts losing it again LOL her kid wasn't even on the pitch! LOL Like wtf, get a grip woman.

so you didn't pick up any MILFs at these games?!?!? i would have thought it'd be prime territory!

Oblio2
08-09-2010, 11:50 AM

In my opinion the entire setup of youth sports in North America is to blame for this culture of “taking to serious”. Kids play, train, travel too much and parent have to spend too much time and money participating.

Its just as bad back home......(UK)
Playing in a kids league when I was 15, I saw a parent beratting their kid all game then march on the field and headbutt the Ref.....

denime
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not surprised at all.Parents should drop the kids for practice or game and go home or shopping,unfortunately parents are biggest obstacles for soccer development in Canada.
Guys go to this site and read comments from parents of kids born'98.There are 173 pages of parents and even coaches trolling on each other.

http://offthepitch.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5607&start=2580

have fun,it's simply f*#@ed up what some parents think they can do.

Stouffville_RPB
08-09-2010, 11:55 AM

In Europe it's all academys. There is no registration fees or anything like that. If your kid is good enough he will get enrolled in a clubs academy system. Outside of academys it's mostly pick up games.

Stouffville_RPB
08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Its just as bad back home......(UK)
Playing in a kids league when I was 15, I saw a parent beratting their kid all game then march on the field and headbutt the Ref.....

Apparently I was wrong. :D

TFCRegina
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Once, when I was reffing a hockey game, I had a huge crowd of parents waiting for me outside the Ref Room.

Of course, what had happened before that game is the Assessor/Assignor told me to call every single thing that happened...literally every single thing. The previous game these two teams played in the refs were harassed at the end of the game because they felt that the refs had been too lenient (in reality they called about an average amount for the league). Parents were concerned someone would get hurt.

So I called every penalty. Stick comes up and hooks (even a little one) boom. Hooking. Hands partially up in a bodycheck? Roughing. We didn't get halfway through the 2nd (ran out of icetime), and I filled up two gamesheets.

But thankfully, nobody got hurt. The angry mob told me I ruined the game, my response was that "Nobody got hurt," and I walked by into the ref room which I proceeded to lock after my linesmen got in.

It's the most I ever called in any game I refereed, and even I felt what I was asked to do was ridiculous, but I did the job I was asked to do. It's about protecting your fellow official as well as the players on the ice.

Parents want it all ways in sports. They want the game to be free flowing, and they want it to be safe. They want it called in their favour as well. You're set up to lose as an official every game. Ultimately parents refuse to realize that and you're punished with verbal (and sometimes physical) abuse in games.

I quit reffing a long time ago, not because of the anger directed at me (actually it sort of gave me an adrenaline rush) but because I felt that the path to a higher level in the province I was living in at the time was non-existent.

dupont
08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I feel really sorry for any kids that have parents like this. If they treat the refs this way then I have a feeling they aren't exactly model parents either.

Oldtimer
08-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't generalize the sort of thing (guns at games) to all of Canada. After all, it is Scarborough, we're talking about.

That being said, there must be no job less rewarding than being a referee for kids sports these days.

Carts
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I was a Certified Level 3 OMHA Official (hockey) and had some doozies...

In Oshawa myself and Sean (the ref in the 3-man system) had a coffee dumped on us from over the glass at Children's Area...

That same arena we had a parent jump on the ice and go after the ref - me and the other linesmen had fun breaking that up...

In Pickering I had a parent lunge at me on my way to the refs room...

During a game when I was the ref, one of my linesmen had gum thrown in his face by an assistant coach...

Those are just the memorable physical things - the verbal insults, directed at young refs (that we would watch & evaluate) was simply disgusting...

99% of the refs can take insults from players (as most have played the sport they're officiating so we understand, plus they're younger) but when young officials here it from parents, it really does stick & hurt b/c its coming from people you look up to...

One night at Don Beer Arena in Pickering I heard (and watched) a grown man yell this, at a 13 year old ref doing Novice hockey (6 yrs old players) "...ref, you're completely worthless you little piece of shit... just give up on life..." In this case someone got in trouble - that being me, as I went and gave the guy a first class piece of my mind, and the league thought my conduct wasn't becoming of an official (I was supervising the officials that night)... The parent sat and smiled while I was asked by PHA Officials to leave - how bad is that!

Carts...

Whoop
08-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Children's Arena. Holy fuck that was a cold rink. Good thing I haven't been back there in about 5-6 years.

Never reffed but have been to thousands of games in the last decade I've heard/seen it all, except the threat of weapons being shown. Have seen a few brawls amongst parents though.

I hear it's worse at the younger levels though. It's almost a chance of making it is more a battle of attrition.

Carts
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Children's Arena. Holy fuck that was a cold rink. Good thing I haven't been back there in about 5-6 years.

Ya, she was an ice box...

Worst was the way the fans basically stood & leaned on top of the glass - opening us up to some great abuse LOL...

Carts...

jabbronies
08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
As someone who played throughout Scarborough growing up, it's not surprised at all.
I've never been involved in an incident where a gun was involved, but Ref abuse is rampant in Scarborough.

I've seen Refs have to run to their car after a game cos half the team was chasing him. And this is from guys who are 21 years and older - some in their 30's!

Scarborough was and seems to still be the wild west of football. Lots of dirty soccer out there. And parents are just as fucked!

brad
08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
In Europe it's all academys. There is no registration fees or anything like that. If your kid is good enough he will get enrolled in a clubs academy system. Outside of academys it's mostly pick up games.

Not in England it's not. My cousins are in organized leagues, much like here. The ones that are good enough get noticed by the clubs and picked up for their academy.

sulfur
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I was doing a U13 Girls tournament a few weeks ago here in Kingston, and almost sent off a coach for mouthing.

Both coaches also got told at halftime that if the parents kept insulting the officials (a 16 year old and a 15 year old) on the sidelines, the game would be called and both teams would be reported.

A U13 Girls game. Men I can see the odd one here and there making money in the future. Girls? Not so much.

Overall in my officiating this year, I've had to ask 4 spectators to leave the field area, and two coaches. This is men's soccer. These guys _definitely_ aren't going anywhere.

C.Ronaldo
08-09-2010, 12:57 PM
as a kid, i remember someone kicking the ump in the nuts after a full out brawl.

The coach of the other team tried to fight a 12 yr old kid on my team

we had cops watch the next few games.

Kidsa arent any different from any generation......is the parents that are retarded.

Did I mention my wife (a teacher) had a desk shoved at her because she didnt give straight As to this Womans daughter.

McBrace
08-09-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm sure you did deserve a good kick in the ass...:cool:

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
who are they, QPR?

Pachuco
08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
I won't ever forget going to play Brantford's so called "rep team". Anyways we were winning 17-0 (no joke) and we started to get ratial slurs from the parents because our star striker was African American. The ref ended up calling the game (for good reason).

McBrace
08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
^^ Stuff like this should call for a ban on the team for a minimum of a season.. If the entire team pays for one idiots mistake, perhaps they will see the need to police themselves.

H Bomb
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Since when did holding a gun make you hard as fuck. Holding a gun makes you a pussy. Being Danny Dichio makes you hard as fuck

Pookie
08-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Obviously, the gun angle needs to be dealt with and dealt with immediately. Why no action on the part of the Scarborough Club, the OSA, other governing bodies or the police?

Outside if the criminal element of carrying a concealed weapon, players, parents and coaches sign a code of conduct. If it is to mean anything, it needs to be enforced and enforced immediately.

I coach a U9 Rep team and set aside the parents, some of the crap I've seen from fellow coaches is worthy of a ban. The one that sticks with my wasn't violent at all but a team had a Cop as their coach and the fellow as a good 6'4" and hadn't found the doughnut line yet (he was a big dude). He was loud and proceeded to call the game for the young (going to guess 15-16 year old official). Every ball that went out, he'd yell "Red ball"... presumably to his players but clearly he knew he what he was doing. "Hand Ball" shortly followed as well as "Foul"... At half time, I called him over and asked who was calling the game and to remember that these kids were 9.

Nothing changed and the ref/tournament organizers didn't want to do anything. I could file a "protest" but $50 bucks later and he'd still be a dick.

We beat them which was a nice feeling but this guy will go on through 10, 11 and 12 and think that bullying teenaged officials is the way to win a youth soccer game. His players will learn that too and the chicken shit OSA will do nothing about it because they seem to only value having warm bodies as coaches while they talk out of their asses about sportsmanship and development.

And what the hell kind of statement is this (from YRSA Secretary Green): “We don’t run into a lot of alleged gunplay at soccer games generally. We’ve certainly dealt with a reasonable number of alleged referee assaults, whether they be verbal assault or pushing/shoving/the odd punch in the face or whatever the case may be, that has happened, and we deal with it accordingly under the jurisdiction of wherever the discipline needs to be heard."

You don't run into a lot of alleged gun play?!?! But you do run into a little gun play? And what's a reasonable number of referee assaults? Did you ban the fuckers and send them to jail? Or did you just deal with it "accordingly under the juristdiction of wherever the discipline needs to be heard"?

denime
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Since when did holding a gun make you hard as fuck. Holding a gun makes you a pussy. Being Danny Dichio makes you hard as fuck

What he said 100% :thumbsup:

AL-MO
08-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Denime, how many referees have you assaulted this year?

Don't worry I'll keep it between you and me. ;) :lol:

maninb
08-09-2010, 03:15 PM

I know for a FACT it's brutal in England as well...Most kids games have ROPES around the fields to keep the parent's 15-20 feet from the sidelines because of referee intimidation...

Jamaicanadian
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
As someone who played throughout Scarborough growing up, it's not surprised at all.
I've never been involved in an incident where a gun was involved, but Ref abuse is rampant in Scarborough.

I've seen Refs have to run to their car after a game cos half the team was chasing him. And this is from guys who are 21 years and older - some in their 30's!

Scarborough was and seems to still be the wild west of football. Lots of dirty soccer out there. And parents are just as fucked!

I do not support ref abuse for without them there is no game...This is not a Scarboro thing...This is not a footy thing....This is a crazed parent and their kid and sports thing...Check out denimes offthepitch.ca link....Played in and around Scarboro all my adult life for a few mostly black and Caribbean based teams....This is NOT the norm from my experience.....I coach kids as well....Parents are some coaches are totally nutz...

Jamaicanadian
08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
The North Scarborough Soccer Club – which has helped produce players such as Toronto FC midfielder and Canadian international Julian de Guzman – is denying any such incident took place.

“It’s just propaganda, nothing like that happened,” said club president Byron McCormack. “No, absolutely not. It’s not a very responsible statement and I don’t know who’s making those statements.”Is it possible that this is a truthful statement?

Whoop
08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I do not support ref abuse for without them there is no game...This is not a Scarboro thing...This is not a footy thing....This is a crazed parent and their kid and sports thing...Check out denimes offthepitch.ca link....Played in and around Scarboro all my adult life for a few mostly black and Caribbean based teams....This is NOT the norm from my experience.....I coach kids as well....Parents are some coaches are totally nutz...

I've seen it all sports with the exception of high school (in Canada, not the US) sports for the most part. Why? Because parents are usually still working when games are being played.

Though with high school sports I've seen students get involved.

Whoop
08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Is it possible that this is a truthful statement?

If the alleged incident DIDN'T happen then the police should charge the person making the accusation.

Jamaicanadian
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Two great points Whoopie!

Police were called by an Aurora parent, but no charges were laid. Neither the official nor the parent has been identified.

scooter
08-09-2010, 04:39 PM
not propaganda
i just had a customer drop off his car for repairs at my shop and he has verified the whole thing he was there at the game
says he never saw a gun but the parent acted like he had one and threatened the refs that he was going to kill them all while other parents tried to hold him back till the police got there
also this customer verified the swearing and bad language used by the coach first then the parents and then the kids as well
his comment to me and i agree is what the heck do 12 year old kids need to be subject to this kind of atmosphere from coaches and parents supposedly doing something they love ----i am not nieve enought to think this kind of thing does not go on and have experienced it first hand but its sad that yrsl and scarborough club are trying to keep it quiet they should string up the club by the balls just to set an example that this behaviour is not cool at all and will not be tolerated

reason for the whole incident was a penalty called late in the game and aurora scored on the free kick to win the game and parents were trying to say time was up ---thing is we all know once a call is made even if time is up the kick must be taken before the ref is going to blow the game and the parents were right time did expire almost right after call was made so everything was done properly and the 3 minutes injury time did not even come into play

CAN WE SAY SORE LOSERS

i am not even going to go into the other stuff this club did

celt-nick
08-09-2010, 06:15 PM

Very true, and the one time Danny Dichio got in a gun fight the gun lost!

Pookie
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
... but its sad that yrsl and scarborough club are trying to keep it quiet they should string up the club by the balls just to set an example that this behaviour is not cool at all and will not be tolerated

Bingo.

If it happened the way it was described above, yrsl should get out on top of it. Parent should be charged with uttering threats (and investigated as to concealed weapon). A ban from future matches is a given.

If it happened the way it was described, shame on the N. Scarb club for denying the whole thing. They too should get out in front of it vs defending their own.

The one quote mentioned giving soccer a bad name. Do they really think they can keep people from talking in this day and age? I'm surprised there isn't a youtube video of it right now. Covering it up while standing behind a never enforced "code of conduct or fair play" gives soccer a bad name.

denime
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Denime, how many referees have you assaulted this year?

Don't worry I'll keep it between you and me. ;) :lol:

Not even one referee, only League administrator.It is my mission now to get him out of District,incompetent dinosaur.

AL_MO do you still need job? ;)

TorCanSoc
08-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Gun flashed at a game. And most posts are about angry parents, and how stupid everyone gets at a game. Its all over the world I assume. And all sports.

I remember house league game, I was 11. Our coach ran on the field to contest a ref's decision. The other team's coach ran in to break it up I guess. One shove led to another, coaches, assisstant coaches, and parents brawl ensues. I remember being pissed because the game got cancelled. But you know what.... 30 years later, and I'm still talking about that game. Crazy. This sh*t makes a huge impression on kids.

DOMIN8R
08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
The only thing I do know is that there was a very angry parent that was being threatening to the referees.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/845837--young-soccer-players-sidelined-after-row-between-parent-referee?bn=1

twistedchinaman
08-10-2010, 12:34 AM
A sad indictment of our times...

mr k
08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
The gun thing hasn't been verified - cops left without charging anyone. The cop in the Star article said:

“There was no mention of any threats or no mention of any weapons,” Phillips said.
“The referees never approached (officers) saying that they’d been threatened. So it was just basically an angry parent yelling at a referee for a bad call. It happens all the time.”

So, this could be much ado about nothing other than maybe some Aurora guys playing up the Scarboro sterotypes and their own insecurities about dealing with cultural groups not up to their tastes.

Heart of Stone
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
When it comes to organized sports, no refs = no games ... unless you're playing Ultimate (self-officiated) even at highest levels...

TFCRegina
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
When it comes to organized sports, no refs = no games ... unless you're playing Ultimate (self-officiated) even at highest levels...

Aren't we talking about sports?

ag futbol
08-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Not in England it's not. My cousins are in organized leagues, much like here. The ones that are good enough get noticed by the clubs and picked up for their academy.
Par for the course. If you're good enough it's a professionalized setup and there are some youth clubs out there that approach something more professional (than north america at least) even though they are not.

In the classic video the USSF put out a while back they parallel development in USA-Brazil. Their impression at least, was on the one hand a bunch of over-bearing parents who were all over the kids at every turn. They eventually combined this with a lack of technical training to explain many north american players impatience on the ball because a bunch of shit-heads are putting pressure on 6 year olds to consistently pass the ball and do things they simply aren't capable of at that age level.

Comparing this to brazil, they made everything sound very hands-off. I know this isn't all true, but it definitely made the kids look more independent as opposed to extensions of overbearing parents.

TFCRegina
08-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Par for the course. If you're good enough it's a professionalized setup and there are some youth clubs out there that approach something more professional (than north america at least) even though they are not.

In the classic video the USSF put out a while back they parallel development in USA-Brazil. Their impression at least, was on the one hand a bunch of over-bearing parents who were all over the kids at every turn. They eventually combined this with a lack of technical training to explain many north american players impatience on the ball because a bunch of shit-heads are putting pressure on 6 year olds to consistently pass the ball and do things they simply aren't capable of at that age level.

Comparing this to brazil, they made everything sound very hands-off. I know this isn't all true, but it definitely made the kids look more independent as opposed to extensions of overbearing parents.

Sadly (in one very important way) the parents often aren't available to watch the games when the kids are learning. Kids are lucky if their family has two parents in Brasil and many of them learn playing on a dirt patch they can find. I speak from family experience as my sister-in-law is from lower middle class family from Rio.

Either the parents are working to feed the kids or they're not there at all...sounds a lot like north america, except that the sport is less organized at the lowest levels. It's truly grassroots (or dirt pitch is a better term).

ag futbol
08-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Yep, very true. A lot of these guys show up in their teens to get into the youth setup of some professional club having played nothing but street soccer until that time.

Seems to work pretty well for them. Beating USA right now 2-0 and absolutely dominating the match.

Pookie
08-11-2010, 06:49 AM

Parents are one reason but I think the other factor at play here is the emphasis the clubs themselves place on winning.

Clubs in the GTA generally do not place a large emphasis on development. I see it at U9 in that a number of these clubs have a roster of 14 but may only play 8 of them during a game. The rest sit as getting "the result" is paramount. This may be more acceptable in a U17 or U20 program but for U9? 10? 11?

Clubs have put development aside because players can move relatively freely from club to club. If you put together a winning record, you will likely attract better players from the area. Parents, largely ignorant to soccer development, equate trophies and on field dominance with superior coaching/development. Clubs don't have to spend time on the marginal player as they can be confident that with a winning record, that marginal player will be replaced and not be on the roster next season.

The clubs are also competiting with the Academy systems so winning and attracting the better player becomes even more important. Ironically, you couldn't get away with official abuse as a parent in the academy system. You can't even offer "coaching from the sidelines." Do it, and you (or your kid) are removed from the program.

The ratio of training time to game time should be in the 1:5 range. For every game there are 4-5 sessions where the kids can truly develop their skills. In our NA programs, at the club level at least, I'd wager this ratio is 1:2 or 1:3 at best when you factor in tournaments, "Cup games" and regular league play.

To me, enabling this structure to fuel itself is a fundamental issue that contributes to the overbearing parent. There is a line in the movie Remember the Titans that goes "attitude reflects leadership" . In this case, the attitude of the parents reflects the leadership of the Clubs and Soccer in this Province.

scooter
08-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Parents are one reason but I think the other factor at play here is the emphasis the clubs themselves place on winning.

Clubs in the GTA generally do not place a large emphasis on development. I see it at U9 in that a number of these clubs have a roster of 14 but may only play 8 of them during a game. The rest sit as getting "the result" is paramount. This may be more acceptable in a U17 or U20 program but for U9? 10? 11?

Clubs have put development aside because players can move relatively freely from club to club. If you put together a winning record, you will likely attract better players from the area. Parents, largely ignorant to soccer development, equate trophies and on field dominance with superior coaching/development. Clubs don't have to spend time on the marginal player as they can be confident that with a winning record, that marginal player will be replaced and not be on the roster next season.

The clubs are also competiting with the Academy systems so winning and attracting the better player becomes even more important. Ironically, you couldn't get away with official abuse as a parent in the academy system. You can't even offer "coaching from the sidelines." Do it, and you (or your kid) are removed from the program.

The ratio of training time to game time should be in the 1:5 range. For every game there are 4-5 sessions where the kids can truly develop their skills. In our NA programs, at the club level at least, I'd wager this ratio is 1:2 or 1:3 at best when you factor in tournaments, "Cup games" and regular league play.

To me, enabling this structure to fuel itself is a fundamental issue that contributes to the overbearing parent. There is a line in the movie Remember the Titans that goes "attitude reflects leadership" . In this case, the attitude of the parents reflects the leadership of the Clubs and Soccer in this Province.

amen

Brooker
08-11-2010, 07:01 AM
don't they ban out of control parents from future games?

god damn what do we need, police at games? fucking disgraceful.

denime
08-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Saga continues:

Referee's report highlights previous sideline conflict (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/referees-report-highlights-previous-sideline-conflict/article1668795/)

Jamaicanadian
08-11-2010, 08:22 AM

I totally agree as well....This is also a main factor as to why we are not developing the best players possible in this country!

Chevy
08-11-2010, 08:39 AM
While we're on the topic, what are some of the best Academy or Club teams in the east end of Toronto? By "best" I mean in terms of training and development, not "success" on the pitch.

My kids are currently playing for the East York club and I'm not overly impressed.

Pookie
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
^ I guess it depends on how far you are willing to go.

I've checked out 2 personally (my son was given a trial) and we are going to evaluate our options at the end of our club season .

I can say that we are very interested in Bryst International, playing out of the OSA in Brampton and ANB Futbol playing out of Richmond Hill.

Both stressed the importance of discipline, commitment to club and the importance of training.

Get ready for a ding to the pocket book though.

TorCanSoc
08-11-2010, 11:13 AM
The parents, politics, and money making scare me about putting my kid in organized soccer. Soccer didn't stick with my first two, but my last little guy loves it. Stuff like this just leaves me wondering about any organized soccer leagues.

__wowza
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaarbroooooooooooooooooough

CoachGT
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
While we're on the topic, what are some of the best Academy or Club teams in the east end of Toronto? By "best" I mean in terms of training and development, not "success" on the pitch.

My kids are currently playing for the East York club and I'm not overly impressed.

Academy teams are not specifically linked to any area. There are at least 4 in the GTA and they draw players from anywhere.

My daughter plays on a team that has players from Barrie, Toronto, Newmarket, and there are kids on teams from Quinte and Kitchener.

Primary consideration at an academy is development of the player. While it is expensive, having money is not the automatic qualifier. I've seen a few good players who could afford it that have gone elsewhere. The one common thread amongst the parents I've spoken to at the academy we're at is that without exception, every one of them was looking for a development based model for their kids, one that demanded commitment. Commitment increases as cost increases.

The only negative I've heard, other than gripes about cost, is from a small number of parents who would like a little higher emphasis on winning (go figure!). The academy team my daughter is on only changes once per half, every kid plays and gets a good amount of time, at least half a game. The demand is that they play hard and create the chances for winning. The end result ofa game is meaningless.

The differences between academy and club soccer:

1) all top academy coaches are minimum B licensed and all coaches are required to continue their coaching education. Doesn't mean that your coach has a b license, but they are overseen closely by someone who does.
2) there is a trained athletic therapist at every game
3) 3 practices to every game. My daughter also has fitness sessions at a gym once a week, included in the price.
4) Tournaments often in the US.
5) All clothing is including - underarmor, jerseys, practice gear, jackets, etc.
6) Schedule runs from late January to November
7) Generally high quality competition
8) Several times each year a written evaluation and development points for each player - my daughter's is every three months.
9) Academies cost money!

And on my daughter's team - DISCIPLINE......DISCIPLINE......DISCIPLINE!

For info on the teams, visit the SAAC website.

CoachGT
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
^ I guess it depends on how far you are willing to go.

I've checked out 2 personally (my son was given a trial) and we are going to evaluate our options at the end of our club season .

I can say that we are very interested in Bryst International, playing out of the OSA in Brampton and ANB Futbol playing out of Richmond Hill.

Both stressed the importance of discipline, commitment to club and the importance of training.

Get ready for a ding to the pocket book though.

My daughter plays at Bryst. Wish I had done this several years ago despite the cost!

denime
08-11-2010, 11:59 AM

I'm moving my kid this winter to Sigma academy.
He was with them "part time",and now I want him out of REP program all together,it is too much BS with all this pyramid of play that we have here in Ontario.10-11 years old kids already competing against relegation or moving up and so on.
Verbal abuse by some parents doesn't stop at referees,they are abusing coaches and kids too.

At least academies running development program without pressure and parents are NOT allowed to interact with any officials or their kids during the game or practice,otherwise get the f%#k out.
There are many academies in GTA,but I like this one,they are running "Dutch" development program and all ages are playing the same system 4-3-3 from U9 - U18.

http://www.sigma-sports.net/index.html

Jamaicanadian
08-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Scarborough Bulldogs can play again, association decides

A Scarborough boys’ soccer team kept off the field after a shouting match occurred between a father and a referee during a game in mid-July, can play again.
The incident, during a game of under-13 players in Aurora, gained notoriety after reports the father allegedly patted his belt area, indicating he had a gun.
On Thursday night the Scarborough Soccer Association took statements from the referee involved and the coach of the Bulldogs, part of the North Scarborough Soccer Club.
Byron McCormack, president of the club, said after the meeting that the issue was about getting kids back on the field.
“The kids are upset. All they want to do is play soccer.”
McCormack said the incident was blown out of all proportion.
“There was a parent who was upset with a call. We see it all the time. I don’t know why this got so big.”
He added that there was nothing to substantiate any suggestion that a weapon or threats were involved.
“All these allegations are unfounded,” McCormack said.
The incident had nothing to do with kids or soccer, the club president noted.
“The club and coach are responsible for the actions of parents,” he added. “But sometimes we can’t control everything.”
Ontario Soccer Association president Guy Bradbury said the Scarborough Soccer Association now has 15 days to decide on what further action to take against the parent involved. Sanctions can include a fine, or an order to stay away from future association-sanctioned games.
York Regional police responding to a complaint from a parent who called them from the field at the time investigated the incident, Sgt. Gary Phillips said, but found everything to be fine when they showed up. Police left less than 30 minutes later.
Still, the rumours left parents, coaches and players concerned about the safety of youth soccer in Toronto.
The team’s past four games were postponed because of the incident, leaving the kids — all of them under 13 — wondering what they’d done to keep them off the field.
On Thursday night players’ parents disappeared inside the muggy Scarborough Soccer Association building near Warden Ave. and St. Clair Ave. E., refusing to talk to the media as they waited for the hearing to conclude.
The meeting wasn't open to the public or media — or even to Bradbury.
The July 12 game between the Bulldogs and the Aurora Stingers was tied 0-0. In the last minute of play the referee gave the Stingers a free kick. They scored and won. That's when the father's verbal barrage against the referee began, according to those who were there.

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/activities/sportsandlessons/article/847459--scarborough-bulldogs-can-play-again-association-decides