PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game: TFC vs. Chivas USA (August 7th, 3:30 PM ET on CBC)

TFC USA
08-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Home game against the worst team in the Western Conference. I don't mean to be alarmist, but we have won only once in our last 6 MLS games. Our boys will probably tired as hell after Motagua and Chivas upset Shitlumbus. This seems like the very definition of a trap game.

This is a huge match for us because we've got New York twice, RSL, Dallas, and Chicago in that order. We can't keep dropping these points at home especially with 3 of the next 5 coming away.

Dub Narcotic
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
CUSA been playing well recently.

twistedchinaman
08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Come on, baby needs another win...(not another pair of shoes...)

Motagua will have worn us down, but the fact that we bent but didn't break is a good omen -- COME ON YOU REDS!

gtaguy
08-05-2010, 07:54 AM
i don't buy this tired and recovering from a midweek game thing. This is where our young guys show how quickly they can recover (fitness level) and as for guys like mista who are only playing half a game i can't see he could not perform another half game .

TOO MANY DROPED POINTS THIS PAST MONTH A MUST WIN INDEED..

koryo
08-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Anything other than three points on Saturday is a failure.

ManUtd4ever
08-05-2010, 08:47 AM
While there is always the danger of an emotional letdown for the players after the historic CCL series victory against Motagua on Tuesday, the BMO Field faithful should be able to provide enough motivation for the boys on Saturday...

Red CB Toronto
08-05-2010, 08:54 AM
It will be interesting to see how Preki manages the lineup, does he give Maicon and Mista the start up front, Maicon has really been solid since arriving in Toronto. By doing this you give DeRo a bit of a rest and let him come on in the second half to give you a second wind, I am not sure, but whatever Preki does, critics will pop up if the end result is 1 point or even worse 0.

I can really see the momentum of advancing to the group stage giving the Reds a boost, wanting to keep going towards the playoffs.

sampace
08-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I expect Mista to start since he didn't play much in Hondorus, coming on near the end of the game. They should give Ibby a shot at starting in forward, he can't be any worse then White has been playing lately. If they need to free up a player to bring in someone useful at the wing I would not miss White.

LesH
08-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry, I know this subject was already discussed here and there, but still:
Another very early start for a TFC home game, in the scorching heat of the summer... this is fucking ridiculous.

You guys (I'm in New Jersey unfortunately) should make a petition signed by at least 4,000 fans in which you demand that no fucking game should begin earlier than 7 PM in June-August.
There is no hockey this period of the year, so if CBC or other Canadian TV stations don't agree they can fuck themselves!

I'm not saying that TFC is losing points at home because of these ridiculous early start times (because the opponent plays in the same weather, right?) but the game quality and so the game experience offered to TFC fans suffers a lot because of the heat! This is without a doubt.

Rudi
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
It's actually supposed to be unseasonably cool on Saturday afternoon.

LesH
08-05-2010, 04:20 PM
It's actually supposed to be unseasonably cool on Saturday afternoon.

That's really good to hear.

TFC USA
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Are you really bringing up the fucking start times?

We've been playing at 4:00 PM since year one. CBC thinks that the only sport that exists for Saturday night is hockey though so I guess that's why they don't want late night games.

THA BUTCHA
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Anything other than three points AT HOME is a failure.

Sorry.. I had to tweak your message abit.

LesH
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Spot on.
After losing so many points at home, TFC can't lose any more fucking points at home if wants playoffs.

LesH
08-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Are you really bringing up the fucking start times?

We've been playing at 4:00 PM since year one. CBC thinks that the only sport that exists for Saturday night is hockey though so I guess that's why they don't want late night games.

Yea, I'm bringing up again the fucking start times.

And it just occurred to me that players when thinking to sign-up with a team or another are looking to a ton of factors about the team they will possibly play with, and maybe counts this factor too.

Maybe some of them when hear that this team when at home except midweek games always play at very early time, this little detail will be the factor which moves the balance to go sign to another team... if all other stuff would be pretty equally matched up between teams.

Specially I'm thinking about the not so young players, and we all know good players for MLS and DP's usually tend to be over 26.

London
08-05-2010, 05:43 PM
didn't the west's worst team beat the east's best last week??

they will be hard to beat

gtaguy
08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Spot on.
After losing so many points at home, TFC can't lose any more fucking points at home if wants playoffs.

Tomorrows home game is imperative that they get the 3 points.. we have teams on our heels and with more games to play then us.. TFC YOU GOTTA PULL THIS ONE OUT OF THE BAG.. DON'T CARE HOW OR IF ITS UGLY JUST GET R DONE..

Oldtimer
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Chivas has just acquired a new striker!

http://www.cdchivasusa.com/news/2010/08/chivas-usa-acquires-forward-alan-gordon-trade

Not flashy, but dependable is how I'd describe Gordon.

Oldtimer
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Photos of Chivas' practice for Saturday's game:

http://www.cdchivasusa.com/content/chivas-usa-practice-photos-august-3

Number Nine
08-05-2010, 11:51 PM
"Dependable". Exactly my thoughts. Any word on whether he will start? Or at least be on the bench?

lips
08-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Hoping for a win that goes without saying we need the points
Id like to see Santos play 90min

__wowza
08-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Hoping for a win that goes without saying we need the points
Id like to see Santos play 90min

you just took the words right out of my mouth.. er.. fingers. he's been red hot lately. playing him the full game might make him a little less hungry, but christ if he wouldn't play the full 90 better than 98% on that field.

Darlofletch
08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/road_info/index.htm

for those driving in, i just noticed this this morning on my way to work.

gardiner closed from dvp to humber, so expect traffic to be a lot slower.

bgnewf
08-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Some Friday Afternoon Odds & Ends, plus my breakdown of the TFC home game tomorrow against Chivas USA. Comments Always Welcome.

http://http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/friday-odds-ends-plus-tfc-v-chivas-pre-game-notes/

pekduck
08-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Chivas has just acquired a new striker!

http://www.cdchivasusa.com/news/2010/08/chivas-usa-acquires-forward-alan-gordon-trade

Not flashy, but dependable is how I'd describe Gordon.

at 6'3" and dependable.. only Cann can match up to his physical stature...

Gordon can run through Garcia 3 times over without a problem

which means... more problem on corners for our already bad defending...

Yohan
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
at 6'3" and dependable.. only Cann can match up to his physical stature...

Gordon can run through Garcia 3 times over without a problem

which means... more problem on corners for our already bad defending...
i seem to recall an Alan Gordon header goal off a corner last season. you know, when LA didn't have a whack of their starters and won in BMO field...

Gwando
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Here are some numbers for the Chivas game...they are playing much better lately.
Chivas USA% of Pts Avail
Overall 5-9-3 35.00%
Home 3-4-1 42%
Away 2-5-2 30%
Last 10 2-6-2 27%
Last 5 2-1-2 53%

ilikemusic
08-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Going to the Jays game and then the TFC game tomorrow.

The only way to improve that would be a Leaf game in the evening.

Big Bruva
08-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I expect TFC to get the win 2moro, being home and the confidence that the team has recently.

Finally there are some attacking options to choose from.

Talking to Blair Gavin, Michael Lahoud and Chuck Chijindu from Chivas USA and Blair who has has been playing very well for them did not travel and stayed in LA after tweeking his hammy which is even better for TFC.

Hooligan69
08-07-2010, 01:26 AM
My fingers are crossed for a victory over Chivas. We could certainly use one in league play. Hesitant to predict a final score, however.

pawlukj
08-07-2010, 08:53 AM
This is an absolute must win game if we want to have a chance at making the playoffs. Playing lower seeded teams at home, anything but a W is unacceptable and a huge failure. Not only that but our upcoming schedule is going to be difficult, more games on the road, and more games due to the champions league group stage. If we lose this, i have lost hope in the team for the mls playoffs

koryo
08-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Fair enough.

Anyone else more than a little disturbed by what Chivas' new 6'3 striker will do to Garcia... who, even though he will definitely start at left back today, will still insist on trying to be a central defender and thus get run over time and again?

DangerRed
08-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Happy gameday everyone! Thank god I'm taking the streetcar rather than driving to BMO this afternoon.

This could be a tough one, but it's most definitely a must-win. We have a porous defence -- but so does Chivas.

That new striker of theirs will be a challenge. At 6'3, set pieces will get even tougher for us to defend than they are already.

Soccer-Ts
08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Fair enough.

Anyone else more than a little disturbed by what Chivas' new 6'3 striker will do to Garcia...

With Garcia back there I'd be shitting bricks if my grandmother was starting

Really I'd be surprised if Gordon starts. I think they'll use Justin Braun and either Maldonado or Jesus Padilla up front today . . . that will give our defence some interesting moments.

Blowing Bubbles
08-07-2010, 01:24 PM
must win game imo.

lets go boys!

:scarf:

MUFC_Niagara
08-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Going to the Jays game and then the TFC game tomorrow.

The only way to improve that would be a Leaf game in the evening.

That would be an improvement? If I was going to a Leafs game i'd burn my eyes out.

toonarmy
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I have four free tickets to the game. They're e-tickets, so I can Email them. I can't make it and can't find anyone who wants them. I don't want them to go to waste.

They're in section 133. PM me and I'll Email them to you. There's still time to make it.

TFC USA
08-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm sure Brenda Irving is good at her job, but someone like Mitch Peacock or Dick Howard should be more suited for the pre-game shows.