PDA

View Full Version : CONCACAF CL query

TorontoBlades
06-24-2008, 09:43 AM
My question is this:

Say TFC wins the MLS Cup this year (or any year for that matter), if we were yanks we should then qualify direct for the group stage of the CL. We should have that option if we do win, am I not logical in thinking as much.

I would go as fas then as to say the second place team from the Canadian Cup should make the qualifying round of the CL, but knowing CONCACAF would never buy that...I think at least the 4th yank team should be made to qualify as oppose to us.

Thoughts?

Pachuco
06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree, but it won't happen. There's only 3 Canadian teams and therefore Concacaf isn't about to put 2 of them in to the champions league.

RealG-TFC
06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Like I said before. If we won the MLS Cup, we would be probably win the Canadian Championship too because we would be that good.

Canary Canuck
06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
This has been beaten to death already but the American spots are given out by the USSF, not MLS. The USSF isn't giving a spot to a Canadian team ever!

Billy the kid
06-24-2008, 10:30 AM
As it is, we have a much easier qualification process than any of the American teams. I think it's better the way it is now. If we get more teams in the Canada Cup, then it'd be nice to have one team that gets to bypass the qualifying stage and one that has to go through the qualifyer, but we would need atleast 6 teams between the MLS and USL-1 to do that.

TorontoBlades
06-24-2008, 10:48 AM
my question is that if we win the Cup, the we should get automatic promotion to the group stage, no?

RealG-TFC
06-24-2008, 11:11 AM
my question is that if we win the Cup, the we should get automatic promotion to the group stage, no?

Well it's not like that and I doubt it will ever will be. I don't see what's the big problem in qualifying via a 3 team tournament.

TorontoBlades
06-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Well it's not like that and I doubt it will ever will be. I don't see what's the big problem in qualifying via a 3 team tournament.

it's not a big problem, but if we obtain qualification via both methods my opinion is that we should get the better seeding to the group stage, and have the 4th yank team play Joe Public or whatever.

Pachuco
06-24-2008, 11:18 AM

The problem with that, is that you then have no Canadian Cup, giving Montreal and Vancouver no chance of making it. Not fair to them since they don't get to qualify through the MLS.

If you still held the Canadian Cup, you would now be putting 2 out of 3 Canadian teams in the Champions League. We (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) already have it relatively easy enough as it is, I don't think we deserve 2 spots in the Champions League.

Roogsy
06-24-2008, 11:22 AM
And isn't there a rule that you can't have 2 routes into the tournament?

TorontoBlades
06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
^ yes, if we were to qualify two ways....like I believe the Revs did this year. We should have the choice of the better seeding in the CL, that's all I'm saying. Still one Canadian team...but the 4th US team that would qualify should have the tougher road to the finals that the MLS champ IMO

Oldtimer
06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
The problem with that, is that you then have no Canadian Cup, giving Montreal and Vancouver no chance of making it. Not fair to them since they don't get to qualify through the MLS.

US USL teams can qualify through winning the USOC Montreal and Vancouver deserve the same through the Canada Cup.