PDA

View Full Version : CONCACAF Champions League 2010/2011 - Group Stage - Group A

ilikemusic
08-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Group A

1. Real Salt Lake (Salt Lake City, Etats-Unis - 2009 Playoff Cup Winner)
Rio Tinto Stadium - Capacity - 20,008

2. Club Deportivo Arabe Unido (Colon, Panama - 2009 Apertura & 2010 Clausura Champion)
Estadio Armando Dely Valdes - Capacity - 10,000

3. Cruz Azul (Mexico City, Mexico - 2009 Apertura Runner Up)
Estadio Azul - Capacity - 35,161

4. Toronto FC (Toronto, Canada - 2010 National Cup Winner)
BMO Field - Capacity - 22,000

Remaing Schedule for Toronto FC

August 7 - V.Chivas
August 11 - @ New York
Matchday 1 - August 17 - V. Cruz Azul
August 21 - V. New York
Matchday 2 - August 24 - @ Arabe Unido
Augest 28 - V. RSL

September 4 - @ Dallas
September 9 - @ Chicago
September 11 - V. DCU
Matchday 3 - September 14-16
September 18 - @ Houston
Matchday 4 - September 21-23
September 25 - V. San Jose
Matchday 5 - September 28-30

October 2 - @ Seattle
October 9 - @ Chivas
October 16 - V. Crew
Matchday 6 - October 19-21
October 23 - @ DCU

All my info is from wiki. Im guessing there is going to have to be some schedule juggling.

Yohan
08-04-2010, 04:33 AM
TFC is so fucked now. No playoffs this year

Brooker
08-04-2010, 05:37 AM
WOW! Impossible schedule.

Derko
08-04-2010, 06:26 AM

I don't know they just might squeak through to the playoffs, some teams can thrive on a tough schedule, yes optimistic I am!!

:scarf: :flare: :drum: :canada: :drinking:

Stouffville_RPB
08-04-2010, 06:40 AM
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE BABY!!!!

I'm pumped for these games. Every single one of them will be a tough test but we should strive to succeed on the biggest stage possible.

Personally I would prioritize the matches at the start of the year in this order.
V Cup
CL
MLS
But hey that is just me.

League play is so random most of the time anyway why not really go for CL?

Fort York Redcoat
08-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Group A

Remaing Schedule for Toronto FC In Bold

August 7 - V.Chivas
August 11 - @ New York
August 21 - V. New York
Augest 28 - V. RSL

September 4 - @ Dallas
September 9 - @ Chicago
September 11 - V. DCU
September 18 - @ Houston

October 2 - @ Seattle
October 9 - @ Chivas
October 16 - V. Crew
October 23 - @ DCU

fixed:D

JamboAl
08-04-2010, 07:11 AM
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE BABY!!!!

I'm pumped for these games. Every single one of them will be a tough test but we should strive to succeed on the biggest stage possible.

Personally I would prioritize the matches at the start of the year in this order.
V Cup
CL
MLS
But hey that is just me.

League play is so random most of the time anyway why not really go for CL?

I agree 100%. If we lose a regular season game, I'm not thrilled but can generally be okay in less than hour. Champions League is way more intense and means so much more to me.

Carefree
08-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Holy shit guys, check out the stadium in Colon, Panama:
http://www.football-lineups.com/stadium/1760/

The site says capacity is 4,000, not 10,000, and from the photo I would lean toward the smaller number. And check out that neighbourhood... it's worse than Columbus!

DangerRed
08-04-2010, 08:31 AM
We lack both the depth and the talent to advance significantly in both the MLS playoffs and the CCL run. We ought to pick one and focus on it because you can't be everything to everybody.

The MLS final is being played in Toronto this year, so my guess is Preki will prioritize that over CCL play.

And besides.. we have fucking Cruz Azul in our group.:(

TFC_Junky
08-04-2010, 08:38 AM

The site says capacity is 4,000, not 10,000, and from the photo I would lean toward the smaller number. And check out that neighbourhood... it's worse than Columbus!

I was in Panama for a few weeks back in November and it's a very poor country with a lot of ghetos. That will be a pretty hostile environment even with only 4000-5000 fans.

CanadianSwede
08-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I agree 100%. If we lose a regular season game, I'm not thrilled but can generally be okay in less than hour. Champions League is way more intense and means so much more to me.

I agree. I would much rather play Cruz Azul than Colombus Crew. I know Mexican teams don't take the competition as seriously as lets say the Copa Libertadores but its still great that TFC will be playing against tougher opposition in hostile grounds. Won't find too many soccer moms at Estadio Azul.

T_Mizz
08-04-2010, 08:45 AM
We lack both the depth and the talent to advance significantly in both the MLS playoffs and the CCL run. We ought to pick one and focus on it because you can't be everything to everybody.

The MLS final is being played in Toronto this year, so my guess is Preki will prioritize that over CCL play.

And besides.. we have fucking Cruz Azul in our group.:(
This kinda sucks for MoJo, I mean this was THE year right? playoffs or he's gone? But now with Champions league, playoffs will be much harder, I hope people will realize what a kink in the plan that Champions league makes and give the guy at least a little bit of a break.

MartinUtd
08-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Im curious, since we started Henry against Motagua, does that mean that TFC does NOT have to follow the same roster restrictions as they do when they play league games?

mastermixer
08-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Looks like we have the toughest group by far.
A Unido made it to the quarter finals last year before losing to Cruz Azul, who made it to the finals and are prob one of the best teams in Concacaf... And of course Real Salt Lake, defending champs and in great form in MLS.
Tough road ahead, but after last night anything is possible!

trane
08-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I DO not give a shit about play offs. CL is what I have been waiting for. Finaly real footy.

If we make the play offs great. But going far into the CL now that is a real accomplishment.

DangerRed
08-04-2010, 08:50 AM
MoJo is a crafty dude. If we fail to make the MLS playoffs, he'll say we made the group stage of the CCL, which is a historic accomplishment for the club, so he's staying. I could totally see that happening.

I also am not imbued with any sense of confidence after last night's performance. Had Motagua not been rusty and in pre-season mode, and had they (as someone pointed out last night) connected on a few more of their chances, the scoreline would be 7-2.

We're a long way from good.

FluSH
08-04-2010, 08:53 AM
MoJo is a crafty dude. If we fail to make the MLS playoffs, he'll say we made the group stage of the CCL, which is a historic accomplishment for the club, so he's staying. I could totally see that happening.

I also am not imbued with any sense of confidence after last night's performance. Had Motagua not been rusty and in pre-season mode, and had they (as someone pointed out last night) connected on a few more of their chances, the scoreline would be 7-2.

We can all say that Motagua was in their pre-season mode etc... but they didn't have to go through the gruesome travel that TFC went through... the KC incident followed by that 5hr bus ride into hostile territory?! The win was an incredible feat...

Carefree
08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I was really hoping the game in Panama would be in September so I could head down there. Just checked itravel2000 and you can get a 1-week all-inclusive in a pretty decent looking resort for about $1,000 in Panama City, which looks like a couple hours' drive from Colon. It's pretty short notice though.

DavydMT
08-04-2010, 09:00 AM
This will be great. A perfect opportunity to get good team rotation that will allow everyone to get some playing time and most important great opportunity for young player to observe top class football.

Stencils
08-04-2010, 09:03 AM
We can all say that Motagua was in their pre-season mode etc... but they didn't have to go through the gruesome travel that TFC went through... the KC incident followed by that 5hr bus ride into hostile territory?! The win was an incredible feat...

Agreed. This is the biggest win TFC have had with the possible exception of the "miracle in montreal".

There's heart in this team. They've shown it. We need to make sure that they know we've seen it.

ginkster88
08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Montagua missed the net on two huge chances and Frei played out of his mind for the most part. We're lucky we didn't concede 5 or 6.

FluSH
08-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm gettin $500 return flights to Mexico City.... I want to go so badly!!!

Carefree
08-04-2010, 09:15 AM
That would be my first choice too. I'm having trouble convincing the missus though. she's convinced it's like Bagdad down there.

From what I've seen it looks like a spectacular city.

grizzle
08-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Just got this email:

After getting past Motagua of Honduras on Tuesday night in Tegucigalpa, Toronto FC will play in the Group Stage of the CONCACAF Champions League for the first time. The Reds are in Group A of the Champions League.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP A
Arabe Unido (Panama)
Cruz Azul (Mexico)
Real Salt Lake (USA)
Toronto FC

Toronto will open the Group Stage against Cruz Azul of Mexico on Tuesday, August 17 at BMO Field. Kick off is 8:00 p.m. ET.

A week later, the Reds will play their first road game of the Group Stage when they travel to Panama to take on Arabe Unido.

The other dates for group play are yet to be confirmed, but it is expected that Toronto FC’s home games at BMO Field will be played in the weeks beginning September 20 and October 19.

TICKET INFORMATION
Season Seat Holders have until 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 4 to secure seats at the lowest possible price through the Online Account Manager. (https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/home.htmI?team=tfc&l=EN)

Members of Toronto FC’s GOLD and RED Waiting Lists plus TFC Insiders will be sent ticket information by email before the end of the week.

Keep checking TorontoFC.ca (http://www.torontofc.ca/) for a confirmed schedule and ticket information.

Darlofletch
08-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Montagua missed the net on two huge chances and Frei played out of his mind for the most part. We're lucky we didn't concede 5 or 6.

have we not spent the last week complaining about how we played well and didn't bury our chances in the first leg. If you're going to play the would have could have card, and presume every chance should be a goal, you've got to do it for both teams. it should have been about 8-8 over the two legs.

rocker
08-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Motagua were lucky TFC missed chances to score at BMO. Motagua did not look good at BMO.

It goes both ways, my friend.

Keystone FC
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Looks like surveillance photos from a US DEA spy plane.

Keystone FC
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
You also have to remember that Motagua's hasn't started their season yet (aug. 8) and they have played one friendly and two against TFC. They should have been fresh for this but you could also say they could have been a bit green. Also, they had 4 WC players on their squad as well. Either way you look at it it still means that TFC is trough to the group stages.

Troll
08-04-2010, 09:51 AM

It looks quite lovely.

http://www.inde.gob.pa/cortes/foto%20album/Estadio%20Muquita-1%20de%20nov.%202008/images/P1010023_JPG.jpg

Yohan
08-04-2010, 09:58 AM
i think TFC supporters are only guys who take this competition seriously.

seriously. other than facing off agains mexican teams, is CCL more competitive than MLS?

Juanito
08-04-2010, 09:59 AM

¿Cruz Azul es de Cancún, no? ¿Por que no nos vamos a Cancún o Playa del Carmen y nos alquilamos un coche para viajar? ¡Dejemos las viejas en casa!

¡Boris, Jack, Roogsy, tu y yo! ¡Un fiestón de la chingada, como dicen los Mejicanos!

Translation to follow!!

Fort York Redcoat
08-04-2010, 09:59 AM
This kinda sucks for MoJo, I mean this was THE year right? playoffs or he's gone? But now with Champions league, playoffs will be much harder, I hope people will realize what a kink in the plan that Champions league makes and give the guy at least a little bit of a break.

A break??? Seriously? If MoJo didn't realize this possibility then too fn bad for him. He talked playoffs so he better get em. If not. Sayonara.

And to all those who care a lot less about playoffs for the first time?

Welcome.

:scarf:Champions League!!!:scarf:

Carefree
08-04-2010, 10:02 AM
It looks quite lovely.

http://www.inde.gob.pa/cortes/foto%20album/Estadio%20Muquita-1%20de%20nov.%202008/images/P1010023_JPG.jpg
That doesn't look like the same stadium as in my link. No running track, and the pitch looks pretty decent. If it's like this then I'm a bit more optimistic.

Carefree
08-04-2010, 10:04 AM
¿Cruz Azul es de Cancún, no? ¿Por que no nos vamos a Cancún o Playa del Carmen y nos alquilamos un coche para viajar? ¡Dejemos las viejas en casa!

¡Boris, Jack, Roogsy, tu y yo! ¡Un fiestón de la chingada, como dicen los Mejicanos!

Translation to follow!!
It would be awesome if we played a team from Cancun. Montreal did two years ago. But I'm afraid it's Mexico City for us.

Juanito
08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
It would be awesome if we played a team from Cancun. Montreal did two years ago. But I'm afraid it's Mexico City for us.

"El Distrito Federal" as they call it is awesome, so I've heard! Pack your bags kiddies!

Like I said before, "¡Un fiestón de la chingada pinche huey!"

trane
08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
i think TFC supporters are only guys who take this competition seriously.

seriously. other than facing off agains mexican teams, is CCL more competitive than MLS?

Yes.

The best team in the MLS, plus better teams from the Mexican league ( the best league in the concaf) and the best teams in central america, as opposed to playing in a sub par league.

Canary Canuck
08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.fussballtempel.net/concacaf/PAN/Armando_Dely_Valdes.jpg

Boris
08-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Translation to follow!!

if we can find a good price I AM DOWN!

T_Mizz
08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Just got this email:

After getting past Motagua of Honduras on Tuesday night in Tegucigalpa, Toronto FC will play in the Group Stage of the CONCACAF Champions League for the first time. The Reds are in Group A of the Champions League.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP A
Arabe Unido (Panama)
Cruz Azul (Mexico)
Real Salt Lake (USA)
Toronto FC

Toronto will open the Group Stage against Cruz Azul of Mexico on Tuesday, August 17 at BMO Field. Kick off is 8:00 p.m. ET.

A week later, the Reds will play their first road game of the Group Stage when they travel to Panama to take on Arabe Unido.

The other dates for group play are yet to be confirmed, but it is expected that Toronto FC’s home games at BMO Field will be played in the weeks beginning September 20 and October 19.

TICKET INFORMATION
Season Seat Holders have until 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 4 to secure seats at the lowest possible price through the Online Account Manager. (https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/home.htmI?team=tfc&l=EN)

Members of Toronto FC’s GOLD and RED Waiting Lists plus TFC Insiders will be sent ticket information by email before the end of the week.

Keep checking TorontoFC.ca (http://www.torontofc.ca/) for a confirmed schedule and ticket information.
I thought that we automatically got the same tickets charged to us as for the Motagua game?

Whoop
08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes.

The best team in the MLS, plus better teams from the Mexican league ( the best league in the concaf) and the best teams in central america, as opposed to playing in a sub par league.

Agreed with trane.

Though it is a pipe dream, imagine winning the whole thing and going to the World Club Cup?

Might not happen in my lifetime but you can see how the CCL is more important/competitive than the MLS.

Carefree
08-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I would be happy if we made it out of the group stage, which I think is very likely.

RSL are in the thick of the MLS playoff race and probably care more about that than the CCL. Don't know anything about the Panamean team, but I would assume it's on par with Motagua. If we can get a draw against Cruz Azul at home, we can afford to lose the away game and still finish second in the group. And with that we will have footie in Toronto in February. :flare:

ManUtd4ever
08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
As TFC supporters, we are in the minority on the issue of the importance of CCL vs MLS playoffs compared to supporters of American MLS clubs. Nonetheless, Preki realizes the importance of this tournament to the supporters in Toronto and I hope he will respond accordingly. I feel the focus must be on fielding the best possible squad for the CCL group stage and utilizing a competent rotation for the remaining league matches. It's time to play the likes of White, Ibrahim, Saric, Usanov, Hscanovics, and Harden in itermittent roles from this point forward...

mastermixer
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
That is gonna be some week of soccer!
Cruz Azul on the 17th and Henry and the Red Bulls 4 days later... this little soccer experiment of ours is starting to shape up :scarf:

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Im curious, since we started Henry against Motagua, does that mean that TFC does NOT have to follow the same roster restrictions as they do when they play league games?

I was wondering the same thing. When other MLS teams were preparing for the SuperLiga, they were allowed to add players specifically for those games. Maybe it's the same situation with the CCL?

Interestingly, transfermarkt.de now lists Henry on the TFC roster.

Red CB Toronto
08-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I could see Henry very soon being signed to one of those home grown player contracts for $31,000, it would make sense.

ilikemusic
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
As TFC supporters, we are in the minority on the issue of the importance of CCL vs MLS playoffs compared to supporters of American MLS clubs. Nonetheless, Preki realizes the importance of this tournament to the supporters in Toronto and I hope he will respond accordingly. I feel the focus must be on fielding the best possible squad for the CCL group stage and utilizing a competent rotation for the remaining league matches. It's time to play the likes of White, Ibrahim, Saric, Usanov, Hscanovics, and Harden in itermittent roles from this point forward...

Hell. We are in the minority when it comes to MLS playoffs as well. Remember, in this league, most teams have WORSE playoff attendance than regular season attendance.

Cas87
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Group A

1. Real Salt Lake (Salt Lake City, Etats-Unis - 2009 Playoff Cup Winner)
Rio Tinto Stadium - Capacity - 20,008

2. Club Deportivo Arabe Unido (Colon, Panama - 2009 Apertura & 2010 Clausura Champion)
Estadio Armando Dely Valdes - Capacity - 10,000

3. Cruz Azul (Mexico City, Mexico - 2009 Apertura Runner Up)
Estadio Azul - Capacity - 35,161

4. Toronto FC (Toronto, Canada - 2010 National Cup Winner)
BMO Field - Capacity - 22,000

Remaing Schedule for Toronto FC

August 7 - V.Chivas
August 11 - @ New York
August 21 - V. New York
Augest 28 - V. RSL

September 4 - @ Dallas
September 9 - @ Chicago
September 11 - V. DCU
September 18 - @ Houston

October 2 - @ Seattle
October 9 - @ Chivas
October 16 - V. Crew
October 23 - @ DCU

All my info is from wiki. Im guessing there is going to have to be some schedule juggling.

We all know that we play all in our group home and away. Does anyone think we could talk to the CONCACAF officianatoes and get our matchday where we face RSL at home could be the same week that he face them in the league (august 28th)

NOTE: I do mean two seperate games in the same week, not having one game count in two competititons

I don't know RSL's sched at that time but I think that would make it easier for both RSL and TFC

thoughts? could the front office do this?

trane
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Agreed with trane.

Though it is a pipe dream, imagine winning the whole thing and going to the World Club Cup?

Might not happen in my lifetime but you can see how the CCL is more important/competitive than the MLS.

Agreed. This is what I had hoped for.

trane
08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Getting max points from Arabe Unido and RS is very important.

Huyton
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I thought we got the same tickets as the preliminary game, too.

Anyway, here's what my email from June said:
Securing Tickets:
As a member of the GOLD Waiting List we have arranged an exclusive pre-sale for you to purchase CCL tickets on Tuesday, June 15th beginning at 12:00 p.m. Included will be the Preliminary Round Match against C.D. MOTAGUA + 3 Group Stage Matches. To secure your tickets to the 4 matches you will simply need to click here to access your Online Account Manager and follow the prompts.

If I don't get the same tickets, I'll be supremely pissed off. Frankly, the Front Office should want that same crowd back again for the group stages...it was the best I've heard in a while...and awesome to be a part of.

Huyton
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Okay...I should just calm down and check first.

I went on to my TFC Account, and there is listed a game on August 17th at 7pm, for the exact seats I had for the preliminary game.

Section 114, baby, row 5!!!

Also, if Motagua can toss bags of piss (and did it actually happen?), can we throw streamers for the CONCACAF games? Weren't streamers banned by MLS, not ML$E?

dupont
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I have a feeling that this CONCACAF tournament will start seeming more important to MLS teams at some point in the future and when that happens we will be happy that TFC had some good runs in our early years. Anything we do in this tournament and in the Canadian Championship and so on is all building part of our club's history so it's incredibly important to me.

Nazzer
08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I was wondering the same thing. When other MLS teams were preparing for the SuperLiga, they were allowed to add players specifically for those games. Maybe it's the same situation with the CCL?

Interestingly, transfermarkt.de now lists Henry on the TFC roster.

The Champions League regulations state that you have to register a squad of players. You do this before the group stage as well as before the knockout round (to take into account the transfer period). However the amount of players you have to register is more than each MLS team is generally allowed to carry, and you can add to it later it seems. So midseason acquisitions seem to be able to play the CCL games.

Greg
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I sure hope I am getting the same tickets. I had two in 110 and they are MUCH cheaper than my seasons...

dupont
08-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I sure hope I am getting the same tickets. I had two in 110 and they are MUCH cheaper than my seasons...

Same here. I bought in the south end and was so happy to be there in comparison to my mid-field ripoff seats that I normally have.
They should be rewarding us (and everyone else who went to the first game) by letting us stay in the same section that we bought in.

Carefree
08-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Estadio Azul, in Mexico City:

http://www.mapasmexico.net/articulos/images/estadio_azul.jpg

That's a bullfighting ring next door.

View from inside:

http://www.ligafutbol.net/wp-content/2007/12/estadioazul.jpg

Greg
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Same here. I bought in the south end and was so happy to be there in comparison to my mid-field ripoff seats that I normally have.
They should be rewarding us (and everyone else who went to the first game) by letting us stay in the same section that we bought in.

Check your account manager. I've got a game on Aug 17th showing up as against "Toronto FC" but it's for the exact same seats I bought for Motagua.

I guess they are just working out things with ticketmaster in order to enter the new games and charge them to people properly.

But thankfully it looks like it'll be the same seats.

Huyton
08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Just got an email that said:

Our boys continue to make club history as they have officially advanced to the Group Stage in the prestigious CONCACAF Champions League (CCL)!
This is a massive accomplishment and they couldn't have done it without the fantastic crowd at BMO Field last week.

This is just a reminder that you have secured your seats for the group stage by committing to the 4-match package back in July. We will be charging the credit card you provided today.

Our first home match will be on August 17th at 8:00 p.m. against Cruz Azul (Mexico). The dates/times for the other 2 group stage matches at BMO Field (vs. Arabe Unido of Panama and Real Salt Lake)
will be confirmed by CONCACAF later this week.

All tickets will be made available for you to print/forward from your online Account Manager later this week.

:hurray::tfc::hurray:

Blixa
08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Garcia will crap his pants during warm-up at that Mexico City stadium.

backbeat
08-04-2010, 07:27 PM
so how many points do you think we need to go through?

8?......9?.....

twistedchinaman
08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
^ The Krew slipped in on 8 points (2-2-2) last year behind Cruz Azul, so 3 wins would go a looooooooooooong way. More points would just be gravy.