PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off with the Fan 590

jocut
08-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok the fan 590 is a partner to tfc,yes? we are supposed to be able to listen to the live broadcast on game days, WTF Blue jays again.When is MLSE going to partner with a station that can actually broadcast every game.
This is ridiculous, how many games have you guys actually heard live this year? 2,3,4 maybe.We can listen on Fan590.com apparently but why?
If you are getting out the laptop why not watch the feed on Torontofc.com.
Just askin.

AL-MO
08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
So you want TFC to take preference over the Jays? LOL

jocut
08-03-2010, 07:35 PM
So you want TFC to take preference over the Jays? LOL
If they are taking money for it YES!

jocut
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
The whole idea of a radio broadcast is that you can listen to the game on your deck, at the campground, in your car etc. So why not partner with a station that can actually broadcast the game live,a little inconvenient if you ask me. You want a radio tation that is prepared to support TFC first NOT whenever the blue jays are NOT playing.

Yeoman
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
they have a better national fanbase then tfc does
better call in the whambulance with you by the sounds of it
sucks? yeah it does, get TFC more support nationally then the jays and maybe something'll happen

Flipityflu
08-03-2010, 09:09 PM
its gonna be a little hard for MLSE to win against the Jays when fan590 is owned by Rogers...

DavydMT
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
fan590 is my favorite tfc play by play and i think they are doing a very good job covering football.

backbeat
08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
i get sooooo frustrated with Fan590 - it is a joke - TFC/MLSE should do a deal with someone else next year - they are on 50% of the time max and the post game show is all of a few minutes with the commercial breaks and then off to some other inane sports broadcast!! hate it - but for now glad it's around....as a bridge to better times...:scarf::flare::drum:

stugautz
08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Be angry all you want with them, but if you're an exec and you look at last weeks ratings for TFC vs Blue Jays, you'd be making the same decision. You may not agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Things may change in the future.

FluSH
08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
fan590 is my favorite tfc play by play and i think they are doing a very good job covering football.

AMEN

Azerban
08-03-2010, 11:29 PM
who listens to soccer on the fucking radio

make it down to the pub or fuck off

mclaren
08-03-2010, 11:33 PM
watching baseball is bad enough but listening to baseball? shoot me now.

Carts
08-04-2010, 01:00 AM
The Fan simply needs a partner for TFC, so when there's a conflict - the broadcast can move over...

A low rated, not well known, Toronto AM station, most likely 'talk format' would be wise to partner up with the FAN - as the TFC broadcasts would bring different ears (not many, but some) to their spot on the dial, listen to their promos, and have their product heard...

MLSE/TFC should push for this as well - as its better for their image to have all games on the radio...

Nobody in their right mind can think TFC will bump the Jays - but TFC could bump a low rated talk program that's on 5-nights a week when there's a conflict easily...

Carts...

Carts
08-04-2010, 01:02 AM

That's completely unfair...

I know several people who listen (when its on) at work...

They're not going to quit their jobs, or lie and call in sick to risk getting fired to watch a match...

Even with TV, internet streaming, and mobile streaming, sometimes the radio is the only option for some...

Carts...

Yagbod
08-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Amen Carts.

We tune in however we can.

Shakes McQueen
08-04-2010, 01:57 AM
The whole idea of a radio broadcast is that you can listen to the game on your deck, at the campground, in your car etc. So why not partner with a station that can actually broadcast the game live,a little inconvenient if you ask me. You want a radio tation that is prepared to support TFC first NOT whenever the blue jays are NOT playing.

That station does not exist, or we wouldn't have needed to wait until this year to even get TFC games on the radio (when FAN 590 finally stepped up to the plate).

With that reality in mind, if you'd like TFC to become a priority on the radio, you're going to have to wait until TFC draws better ratings than a Jays game. That time is not now.

- Scott

Brooker
08-06-2010, 08:22 AM

lol... seriously dude?

I never listen to TFC on the radio but come on, some people are stuck on the road and have no choice.... you could say the same thing when TFC gets tape delayed on TV so that you cant watch it "at the pub." then you'd be crying and I'd be saying "who watches TFC on TV? get down to the game or fuck off."

see how ridiculous that sounds? :D

Juanito
08-06-2010, 08:25 AM
^^

I approve this message.

DangerRed
08-06-2010, 08:39 AM
lol... seriously dude?

I never listen to TFC on the radio but come on, some people are stuck on the road and have no choice.... you could say the same thing when TFC gets tape delayed on TV so that you cant watch it "at the pub." then you'd be crying and I'd be saying "who watches TFC on TV? get down to the game or fuck off."

Agreed 100%.

Because, you know, the only way to appreciate the game or follow the club is when you're drinking at a pub. Or fuck off! :rolleyes:

FluSH
08-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Have you listened to tweedledee and tweedledum (Dobson and Forrest)... AM 590 is like the book of revelations... at the pub granted... you can't hear shit from the commentators... so that's probably the hidden blessing.

Azerban
08-06-2010, 09:03 AM

sorry but listening to soccer on the radio is still dumb! my 'get down to the pub' comment clearly affected some people (a bloo bloo! deal with it) but my original point stands; soccer is not baseball, and can not be broken down in any reliable way into discrete, easily transmittable aural events that allows you to have any sort of opinion as to what actually happened in the game.

PVR it. download the match torrent. haul out Ye Olde VCR. there are quite a few ways to see it, with just a little effort. radio is the most infinitesimal step up from following it on a matchtracker, and if someone was complaining about the quality or unavailability of a matchtracker i'd have a good solid chuckle.

in conclusion,
http://i27.tinypic.com/14axxud.gif

Azerban
08-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Have you listened to tweedledee and tweedledum (Dobson and Forrest)... AM 590 is like the book of revelations... at the pub granted... you can't hear shit from the commentators... so that's probably the hidden blessing.

CBC DRINKING GAME

every time dobson mixes up our black players, take a shot

if he says something to the effect of "they all look the same" finish the bottle

CoachGT
08-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Try golf on the radio. Or curling.

Luanda
08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Football emerged before TV, no.
So, what did people do before the advent of the box?
Three choices: a) listen to the game on the radio; b) read summaries of the game in newspapers; or c) watch the game live.

In some places, radio was the best (if not the only "real") option untill recently!

tfcleeds
08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
TV is always preferable to radio for footy. However, I will gladly listen to radio when there is no other option. I depended on BBC World Service on my shortwave for Premiership matches when I lived overseas. Not the same, granted, but I'll take it over nothing.

Carts
08-06-2010, 09:16 AM
sorry but listening to soccer on the radio is still dumb! my 'get down to the pub' comment clearly affected some people (a bloo bloo! deal with it) but my original point stands; soccer is not baseball, and can not be broken down in any reliable way into discrete, easily transmittable aural events that allows you to have any sort of opinion as to what actually happened in the game.

PVR it. download the match torrent. haul out Ye Olde VCR. there are quite a few ways to see it, with just a little effort. radio is the most infinitesimal step up from following it on a matchtracker, and if someone was complaining about the quality or unavailability of a matchtracker i'd have a good solid chuckle.

in conclusion,

I gotta disagree...

I arrange my schedule to avoid missing matches, but life is life and things come up...

If I am driving, and TFC is playing, I'll listen to the radio live & PVR it also...

I want to know the result as it happens - I guess I'm just like that...

Its sports, its news, its live - a drama TV show, sure wait and watch and tell people you don't wanna know what happened...

I'll watch the PVR when I am home (even knowing the result or have listened to the match), but if we're on the pitch, I wanna experience it live, whether that's at BMO, watching on the tube, or listening over the airwaves...

Live is live...

Carts...

FluSH
08-06-2010, 09:26 AM
I think the lesson here is that AM 590 commentators need to replace Dobson and Forrest!!

=)

Super
08-06-2010, 09:42 AM
I've yet to listen to a game on the radio. I've heard that the commentators on the Fan are pretty decent, though, but if I find myself in a situation where I can't catch the live game on TV I think I'd rather wait and watch it later on the PVR. The blindfolded experience of radio play is just a little too scary for me lol

Brooker
08-06-2010, 10:05 AM

in conclusion,

I'm not saying TFC on the radio is good because quite frankly, it's not. (although the commentators are quite good. i heard them once) ......what I'm just saying is that sometimes you just gotta know what the score is and what's happening.... hell, i've "watched" soccer games via text updates from the BBC. In that case, I'd probably tell myself to fuckoff but when you're desperate, you're desperate. :cool:

UP THE TFC!

reggie
08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
the fan blows....the roger lajoir network,this dude is on 24/7 and he sucks.
its a bluejay infomercial...

Eastend
08-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I just got my gameday email and the first paragraph says:

It's time to welcome the boys home! After Tuesday's Champions League triumph in Honduras, (http://click.mlsefanmail.com/?qs=2d2cd04ab4e5356993ec49085b306c567b90c3aea577cd f8caec8a5be04f0b12) it's back to the home comforts of BMO Field tomorrow afternoon as Toronto FC take on Chivas USA at 4:00 p.m. (http://click.mlsefanmail.com/?qs=2d2cd04ab4e535696d48a4bbe54cdc021ee26646bdcca2 56d9fded36405014c3) The match will be broadcast live on CBC and The FAN 590.

DavydMT
08-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I think the lesson here is that AM 590 commentators need to replace Dobson and Forrest!!

=)

I really like this idea and sound mix they use on the radio is also better.

Eastend
08-06-2010, 10:31 AM

=)

Agreed. I've listened to a few and I like it. Also like the EPL game of the week on there on Saturday mornings....

H Bomb
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I like the radio. Its low tech and makes me feel like an old person. Also listening on the radio means i can sit next to a river and fish or sit next to a camp fire and drink while the game is on. In closing, I like that Gif Az.

MUFC_Niagara
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Some of us have real jobs. We can't all be a degenerate hippy like you. ;)

Seriously though, i've used the matchtracker on multiple occassions because I have to work. Telling people they aren't real fans because they listen to the match on the radio is just moronic. That's like me saying I am a better supporter than you because I had seasons from day 1 and you didn't.

Menelaos
08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

AMEN!!

Who the fuck wants to listen to baseball? The Fan blows these days anyway.

tfcleeds
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
^No offense to Jerry, but Blue Jays broadcasts have never been the same since Tom's passing.

T_Mizz
08-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I for one find it hard to get into any sport on the radio, besides baseball and possibly football. With soccer there's too much freedom and fluidity (never a bad thing, just hard to do over the radio), so when you say a player's making a run down the left flank, you get the jist of it being on the left but how far down exactly, is he in a crossing position, how close is he to the byline, or the touchline. We've all seen tons of soccer games and it's hardly ever the same.
On the other side of the coin, we've all seen enough football games and baseball games to know that the beginning of each play starts out the exact same, either a batter in the box or the linemen lined up at the line of scrimmage, so it's easy to paint a mental picture, relatively little freedom. Plus baseball is absolutely perfect for radio because every play is relatively identical (aside from great defensive stabs, etc.) the guy makes contact and runs the bases the same as the next guy.

TOBOR !
08-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't get this thread. The FAN is poor at soccer. Period. Sure there's the odd game broadcast. Some spotty updates almost as an afterthought. A weekly show scheduled around baseball games. We already know this. And those two guys who said the FAN is great at soccer must be high. For the most part no one at the station knows anything about the game. I bet they're all shitting their pants that if this thing really takes over they'll all be out of jobs.

H Bomb
08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Well TFC are poor at football too, but we dont ask them to stop. only to get better. The fan is constantly moving forward with its football coverage. We should be thankful that they are doing any at all, as they really dont need to.

Parkdale
08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't get the concern at all either.

Baseball grew up with the Radio and the two sports are perfect fits. They go together like peas and carrots, and there's no way soccer is going to break them apart. Plus listening to soccer on the radio can be painful at times because even when the commentary is good, there aren't enough singular events that can be 'reported' as fast as they develop.

You can call a ball or a strike on the radio easily, but how do you describe a formation? baseball is a game of stats and soccer is a free flowing game of style. We all know there's no real point in comparing the sports, as they are so incredibly different, so why try to compare how they are delivered to us? Radio is from a different time, and so is baseball. Let them have each other.... I'll be streaming the Marseilles v. Bordeax game on my phone.

TOBOR !
08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I think there's an overall reluctance to cover soccer in any great detail due to an overall discomfort regarding the game among those who'd be required to be expert in it.

nascarguy
08-06-2010, 03:52 PM
the Fan commentators for tfc are where better then the TV commentators

Yeoman
08-06-2010, 04:26 PM
deal with it

Flipityflu
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
i like listening to baseball on the radio. i miss Tom Cheek, but i still enjoy the fans broadcast. Jerry rocks. i also like Mike Wilner, and thought it was bullshit when he got 'the weekend off' earlier in the season.

the pace for baseball actually makes better radio than any of the other major sports, including soccer.

T_Mizz
08-06-2010, 05:18 PM
i like listening to baseball on the radio. i miss Tom Cheek, but i still enjoy the fans broadcast. Jerry rocks. i also like Mike Wilner, and thought it was bullshit when he got 'the weekend off' earlier in the season.

the pace for baseball actually makes better radio than any of the other major sports, including soccer.
Strangely, Wilner is about as hated in the Jays community as Cathal Kelly or Bobo McClown are here.

Alixir
08-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't think my boss would appreciate it very much if I told him I was knocking off early to the pub to watch the match...so I listen to it on the radio. Not the greatest but it works. Actually to be honest I think that I have heard TFC broadcasts on other am radio stations not just 590....but don't quote me on it.

TOBOR !
08-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Strangely, Wilner is about as hated in the Jays community as Cathal Kelly or Bobo McClown are here.

Maybe it's for his constant role as the Blue Jays' unofficial apologist. Maybe he had to do that in orer to get access to players and staff for interviews and the like, but it gets old fast.

Blowing Bubbles
08-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't get this thread. The FAN is poor at soccer. Period. Sure there's the odd game broadcast. Some spotty updates almost as an afterthought. A weekly show scheduled around baseball games. We already know this. And those two guys who said the FAN is great at soccer must be high. For the most part no one at the station knows anything about the game. I bet they're all shitting their pants that if this thing really takes over they'll all be out of jobs.

you can't be serious.

Blowing Bubbles
08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I think there's an overall reluctance to cover soccer in any great detail due to an overall discomfort regarding the game among those who'd be required to be expert in it.

Or maybe they just promote what gives them the best ratings?

Waggy
08-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Maybe it's for his constant role as the Blue Jays' unofficial apologist. Maybe he had to do that in orer to get access to players and staff for interviews and the like, but it gets old fast.

As a Jays fan, and someone who does listen to baseball on the radio pretty often, I find Milner to be condescending and unnecessarily sarcastic to the point of assholedom to some callers. I understand where the frustration comes from, believe me callers prompt me to turn off the radio at times, but still as a pro he has to be better then that. My .02.

As to the priorities of the fan, use some common sense. The Argos used to be on the Fan, had the same problem and ended up going to a different station eventually. But initially did what someone suggested earlier and had a side deal, I believe it was am 610 would be the backup channel for them. TFC should easily be able do that based on availability, Rogers has all sorts of partner radio stations. It's just a matter of generating the audience necessary to demand it. And given that most TFC games are saturday afternoon or evening, it's unlikely that there will ever be THAT high a demand for radio. I listened to a game on the Fan once and quite enjoyed it. Obviously I'd have STRONGLY preferred to watch it on TV but when you put on the radio you know what you're getting. For what it is it's good.

profit89
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I gotta disagree...

I arrange my schedule to avoid missing matches, but life is life and things come up...

If I am driving, and TFC is playing, I'll listen to the radio live & PVR it also...

I want to know the result as it happens - I guess I'm just like that...

Its sports, its news, its live - a drama TV show, sure wait and watch and tell people you don't wanna know what happened...

I'll watch the PVR when I am home (even knowing the result or have listened to the match), but if we're on the pitch, I wanna experience it live, whether that's at BMO, watching on the tube, or listening over the airwaves...

Live is live...

Carts...
Agree

Flipityflu
08-07-2010, 12:23 AM
As a Jays fan, and someone who does listen to baseball on the radio pretty often, I find Milner to be condescending and unnecessarily sarcastic to the point of assholedom to some callers. I understand where the frustration comes from, believe me callers prompt me to turn off the radio at times, but still as a pro he has to be better then that. My .02.

i think thats why i like him lol

its also why he got suspended i think.

TOBOR !
08-08-2010, 06:59 PM
you can't be serious.

ha ha. Yeah, I guess not really.

Macksam
08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Be angry all you want with them, but if you're an exec and you look at last weeks ratings for TFC vs Blue Jays, you'd be making the same decision. You may not agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Things may change in the future.
They will change. TFC will have better ratings than the Jays in ten years time.

While Dobson is suspect occasionally, Forrest is good.

I will agree that Bob Iarusci is the best out of the bunch. In my opinion, he's probably the best soccer commentator I have ever heard. While all those English commentators beat around the bush when they see someone dive or play act, he calls them out on it.

GuelphStorm2007
08-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I had a chance to listen to some of games on the fan 590 and to be honest they do a decent job both Dunleavy and Mr Opinion himself Bobby Iarusci. lets face it Broadcasting Soccer here in Canada is new whether it be radio or Television is still new to Canadians and it will take some time to master it. During the World Cup I listened to some radio broadcasts From the BBC on CBC1 and it was excellent.

Brooker
08-08-2010, 11:43 PM
They will change. TFC will have better ratings than the Jays in ten years time.

if the Blue Jays still can't make the playoffs by then, I agree.

But if they ever do, they'll squash TFC like a bug.

Macksam
08-09-2010, 12:51 PM
if the Blue Jays still can't make the playoffs by then, I agree.

But if they ever do, they'll squash TFC like a bug.

Playoff ratings will be big regardless no doubt, but I have my reservations on them making the playoffs any time soon.