PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,July 30

denime
07-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Mornin'

KC Game Preview-TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?id=2178)

TFC’s Joseph Nane gaining confidence (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/841964--tfc-s-joseph-nane-gaining-confidence)

MLS targets American mainstream (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/07/29/14868926.html)

Mayor Miller On Pregame Chat (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/07/mayor-miller-pregame-chat)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

ecospice
07-30-2010, 06:38 AM
This week could have been better in the SSG department.

scooter
07-30-2010, 07:04 AM
mornin d

Plenty of Trout
07-30-2010, 07:05 AM

Todays's SSG is fugly, but those 3 Black Athletes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were a refreshing change.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2010, 07:11 AM
MLS targeting big names without fear. Why? When the people ask "Aren't you repeating the mistakes of the NASL?" They can point and say "NASL? That's the NASL right over there. We're fine."

Bringing back was a great idea...to confuse the not-so-soccer-savvy.:D

TFCRegina
07-30-2010, 07:15 AM

Is it because they're all...track athletes?

TFCRegina
07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Todays's SSG is fugly, but those 3 Black Athletes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were a refreshing change.

I thought it was refreshing too.

STB
07-30-2010, 07:17 AM
MLS targeting big names without fear. Why? When the people ask "Aren't you repeating the mistakes of the NASL?" They can point and say "NASL? That's the NASL right over there. We're fine."

Bringing back was a great idea...to confuse the not-so-soccer-savvy.:D

The main point is these guys could still do a job in most major leagues around the world (I would take Henry up front :D) and hence the signing mean more to real soccer fans while still being big enough names to draw in the casual fan. It is not the same mistake as the past, it kinda looks like it but its a far more calculated risk...

TFCRegina
07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
The main point is these guys could still do a job in most major leagues around the world (I would take Henry up front :D) and hence the signing mean more to real soccer fans while still being big enough names to draw in the casual fan. It is not the same mistake as the past, it kinda looks like it but its a far more calculated risk...

Yes, and not only that, for the most part these players are going to the big markets. Unlike in the old NASL where EVERYBODY tried to do what the Cosmos did, the MLS front office has control over the contracts. They can keep Columbus, for example, from signing a big name player who will have marginal impact at best on their attendances and tv ratings.

MLS is trying to build the league around big (media) markets.

New York, LA, Chicago, Toronto (all four are in the top five in North America excluding Mexico). They're also filling out the mid-major market of Seattle.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Yes, and not only that, for the most part these players are going to the big markets. Unlike in the old NASL where EVERYBODY tried to do what the Cosmos did, the MLS front office has control over the contracts. They can keep Columbus, for example, from signing a big name player who will have marginal impact at best on their attendances and tv ratings.

New York, LA, Chicago, Toronto (all four are in the top five in North America excluding Mexico). They're also filling out the mid-major market of Seattle.

Oooooooooooooooo!!! That's conspiracy talk! This whole "Load up the big markets!" angle sounds like the War on Parity has begun!

And North America was never the same again...:flare::drum::flare:I LOVE IT!!!

gtaguy
07-30-2010, 08:08 AM

So where is TFC's big name signing. Don't tell me mista was it :(

Beach_Red
07-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Oooooooooooooooo!!! That's conspiracy talk! This whole "Load up the big markets!" angle sounds like the War on Parity has begun!

And North America was never the same again...:flare::drum::flare:I LOVE IT!!!

Sure, but why would Toronto be on the list? Toronto may be a big market for ticket sales, it's no market for TV ratings - lower than KC or Columbus or or the smallest of US markets.

Parity will end, but will that be good for TFC? Why would TFC be any more successful than the Raptors are?

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2010, 08:30 AM
^You said it! You said it! Parity will end! It's definitely happening now!

BR, The day we decide it's official I buy you the first beer at Parity's wake!

I'm curious why you chose the Raps when the Jays are such a better example of how we struggle vs the bigger markets.

The deal is BR, I look forward to the challenge. Not that it isn't one already...

Beach_Red
07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
^You said it! You said it! Parity will end! It's definitely happening now!

BR, The day we decide it's official I buy you the first beer at Parity's wake!

I'm curious why you chose the Raps when the Jays are such a better example of how we struggle vs the bigger markets.

The deal is BR, I look forward to the challenge. Not that it isn't one already...

And I'll buy the second round at Parity's Wake - looking forward to it.

I picked the Raps because I saw the Chris Bosch interview yesterday and he pointed out how much trouble the Raps have had getting on TV in the US - even when they were a good team (and they have the same owners). And he said they had trouble signing top players, which is what we hear a lot about DPs coming into MLS only waning to go to LA and NY.

It'll be a challenge to field a competitive team in a non-parity league, it's just too bad the challenge will have little to do with knowledge of the game and everything to do with creative accounting and "lifestyle" choices by multi-millionaire athletes.

Roogsy
07-30-2010, 08:46 AM

I like what they were doing...and I am a big fan of supporting our Canadian athletes in whatever form we can...but they weren't SSG quality. So while giving them some facetime might be generous on the part of the Sun, please follow up with some top level talent please. :D :hump:

backbeat
07-30-2010, 08:56 AM
And I'll buy the second round at Parity's Wake - looking forward to it.

I picked the Raps because I saw the Chris Bosch interview yesterday and he pointed out how much trouble the Raps have had getting on TV in the US - even when they were a good team (and they have the same owners). And he said they had trouble signing top players, which is what we hear a lot about DPs coming into MLS only waning to go to LA and NY.

It'll be a challenge to field a competitive team in a non-parity league, it's just too bad the challenge will have little to do with knowledge of the game and everything to do with creative accounting and "lifestyle" choices by multi-millionaire athletes.

i find that more unique to Basketball - i know it happens in Baseball but it doesn't seem to the same extent - maybe i'm delusional but i really don't think it will be a huge issue in Football/soccer - it will happen but i don't think it's a big deal.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2010, 09:41 AM
So where is TFC's big name signing. Don't tell me mista was it :(

who gives a shit about big names, i want players that are effective and so far Mista has shown that. its highly unlikely Toronto will get picked over LA, NY or CHI by a big name, this has been discussed many times:deadhorse:

Plenty of Trout
07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I like what they were doing...and I am a big fan of supporting our Canadian athletes in whatever form we can...but they weren't SSG quality. So while giving them some facetime might be generous on the part of the Sun, please follow up with some top level talent please. :D :hump:

Yes, today's follow up was disappointing, but those 3 athletes would simply rock your world.

Just lie there and hold on for dear life.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
who gives a shit about big names, i want players that are effective and so far Mista has shown that. its highly unlikely Toronto will get picked over LA, NY or CHI by a big name, this has been discussed many times:deadhorse:

Eeeeaaaasy Ossi, I get why people aren't excited to become an eternal challenger to the giants of big markets. Give peeps time to adjust to the fact that we're going to have to win as a team instead of one to three individuals that can sell kits (amongst other things) worldwide.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Eeeeaaaasy Ossi, I get why people aren't excited to become an eternal challenger to the giants of big markets. Give peeps time to adjust to the fact that we're going to have to win as a team instead of one to three individuals that can sell kits (amongst other things) worldwide.

youre right, my bad. im always quick to jump on those comments as they never seem to disappear. also people gotta realize that even if they havent heard of the name, doesnt mean they arent big

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2010, 10:10 AM
youre right, my bad. im always quick to jump on those comments as they never seem to disappear. also people gotta realize that even if they havent heard of the name, doesnt mean they arent big

And by the same token a big name don't guarantee more than kit sales.

Blowing Bubbles
07-30-2010, 12:39 PM

lmao @ putting us in the same sentence as LA & NY when it comes to leveraging media market size to sign DP's. We are mid-major compared to them, lets get serious.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
And by the same token a big name don't guarantee more than kit sales.

yep zactly, look at ljungberg

TFCRegina
07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
lmao @ putting us in the same sentence as LA & NY when it comes to leveraging media market size to sign DP's. We are mid-major compared to them, lets get serious.

Toronto is the fifth largest media market in North America. It's not using the market size to get DPs but rather using the DPs to maximize the effect on the media attention and ticket sales.

So give yourself a facepalm on that one.

TFCRegina
07-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Sure, but why would Toronto be on the list? Toronto may be a big market for ticket sales, it's no market for TV ratings - lower than KC or Columbus or or the smallest of US markets.

Parity will end, but will that be good for TFC? Why would TFC be any more successful than the Raptors are?

Not exactly. The GTA is what, 5 million people? But Toronto TV stations dominate Canada. We're constantly hit with TV out west from Toronto. By comparison, Kansas City television doesn't exactly saturate the vast expanses of the United States.

LA does, New York does.

Toronto does that for an area of 30 million people, as much as the rest of the country hates it.

dupont
07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Toronto does that for an area of 30 million people, as much as the rest of the country hates it.

Exactly. Toronto can be a very major player in MLS as long as the Canadian ratings pick up once Montreal and Vancouver join the league (and I'm sure they will). If Canada punches above it's weight for soccer popularity (like with hockey) then Toronto will benefit most from that because of the size of the market.

I have a hunch that soccer is going to become a powerhouse sport in Canada much faster than in the US which could give Toronto an edge over almost every US city aside from the big two.