PDA

View Full Version : The Seattle Sounders FC acquired their third designated player

sidvan
07-29-2010, 02:40 PM
TUKWILA, Wash. — The Associated Press Published on Thursday, Jul. 29, 2010 3:12PM EDT

The Seattle Sounders FC acquired their third designated player on Thursday, completing the signing of Uruguayan midfielder Alvaro Fernandez fresh off his appearance for Uruguay in the World Cuphttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/seattle-sounders-sign-alvaro-fernandez/article1656301/#)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/seattle-sounders-sign-alvaro-fernandez/article1656301/

Pachuco
07-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Sounds like a decent signing. Fringe player on Uruguay's World Cup team. I don't remember him much to be honest though.

Oh and they may have signed their 3rd DP, but I'm sure they are close to have only two :)

Nodoubtguy
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Came on as a sub in 4 games, played just under 80 minutes for Uruguay.

bgnewf
07-29-2010, 03:24 PM
must be nice to have a management team that does not waste allocation dollars the way TFC does.

madcow
07-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds like a decent signing. Fringe player on Uruguay's World Cup team. I don't remember him much to be honest though.

Oh and they may have signed their 3rd DP, but I'm sure they are close to have only two :)

Has there been any further news that Freddie and Henry are going to reunite in New York?

bgnewf
07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Has there been any further news that Freddie and Henry are going to reunite in New York?

Freddy would have to take a huge pay cut to play there. Red Bulls are announces Rafa Marques from Barcelona as their third DP tomorrow to go along with henry and Angel. Freddy would have to work for a significantly lower pay packet to work there.

Miko
07-29-2010, 03:44 PM
So is Fernandez a 3rd DP if Freddy leaves? Or would he be the 2nd and they would still have a space open?

Anyone know the cap implications for this?

Jeffro
07-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Ljungberg for Angel?

JonO
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
So is Fernandez a 3rd DP if Freddy leaves? Or would he be the 2nd and they would still have a space open?

Anyone know the cap implications for this?
Not 100% sure, but I think we are past the point of no return for dumping players. Unless they can trade him I think he is there for the remainder of the season..

madcow
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Freddy would have to take a huge pay cut to play there. Red Bulls are announces Rafa Marques from Barcelona as their third DP tomorrow to go along with henry and Angel. Freddy would have to work for a significantly lower pay packet to work there.

Agreed, but Freddie might actually do that to play Henry again. One of those "relive the glory days" moments if you will. Or then again MLS may find a way to "help" him sign with New York; just speculating.

sidvan
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1656301/ (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1656301/)

link says Freddie is working out on his own waiting for team to arrange a deal. Unless they get league dispensation to the contrary it would appear they have signed a third at cost premium.

Derko
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
must be nice to have a management team that does not waste allocation dollars the way TFC does.

As much as Preki has brought some stability and discipline to TFC, I thought His Prekiness dosen't like glory players, so he would balk at a big name player being signed. You know grind out a 1 nil win with average players, am I right

Beach_Red
07-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Does a DP salary have to come from allocation money? With the new 3 DP rule, it says that, "With every DP that is signed a team now takes a charge of $335,000 on its salary budget of just over $2.5 million. Teams previously took a $415,000 hit for the first DP signed. A maximum of three DPs now gives a team under $1.5 million left to spend on 17 other roster players." (http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-explains-new-expansion-dp-rule) But it doesn't say where the money over the $335,000 has to come from. Can't team owners spend as much as they want after the cap hit?

habstfc
07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I think it's pretty much a given Ljunberg won't be back with seattle, maybe this league.

Smokecell
07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
hmm maybe Mo is waiting for Rafa to be official - remember seattle and NY both pay 250k to the league that gets spread to every other team without 3DPs as allocation...that works out to just about 36k per team, could make the difference in fitting the next signing under the cap.

bgnewf
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
hmm maybe Mo is waiting for Rafa to be official - remember seattle and NY both pay 250k to the league that gets spread to every other team without 3DPs as allocation...that works out to just about 36k per team, could make the difference in fitting the next signing under the cap.

only clubs without DPs get that cash

backbeat
07-29-2010, 05:13 PM
noooo i'm sure freddie's on his way to Toronto - i mean it's a winger we're looking for, isn't it? :drinking:

Blizzard
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Does a DP salary have to come from allocation money? With the new 3 DP rule, it says that, "With every DP that is signed a team now takes a charge of $335,000 on its salary budget of just over $2.5 million. Teams previously took a $415,000 hit for the first DP signed. A maximum of three DPs now gives a team under $1.5 million left to spend on 17 other roster players." (http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-explains-new-expansion-dp-rule) But it doesn't say where the money over the $335,000 has to come from. Can't team owners spend as much as they want after the cap hit?

Yes they can.

BritSOL
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
only clubs without DPs get that cash

Isn't it teams that do not have a 3rd DP get that cash?

Smokecell
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Isn't it teams that do not have a 3rd DP get that cash?

correct

Stryker
07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
noooo i'm sure freddie's on his way to Toronto - i mean it's a winger we're looking for, isn't it? :drinking:

Oh yeah bigtime. After Robert and Ricketts Freddie would complete the trifecta of self serving pricks we've had on the wings.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-30-2010, 05:00 PM
So Seattle has:

Freddie Ljunberg

Blaise Nkufo

and now...

Alvaro Fernandez

Is this right??

Plus Freddie Montero!

That is a pretty sick team!!

sidvan
07-30-2010, 06:19 PM
So Seattle has:

Freddie Ljunberg

Blaise Nkufo

and now...

Alvaro Fernandez

Is this right??

Plus Freddie Montero!

That is a pretty sick team!!

Freddie not so much anymore:flare:

TFCRegina
07-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Chi Town has Freddie now.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Still...Seattle is a serious organization! They are serious backers of football in MLS....Just like us here in Toronto. With the addition of Nkufo and Fernandez WoW!. Plus they take the Champions League very seriously!

We need many more strong football investment partners like them to keep growing this league

cochrdoc
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I wish our DP`s would have an impact on a game.Henry comes in and set Angel up for 2 goals and plays 90 minutes.Our 2 don`t seem to have much to show for 90 min .One can`t play for 90 minutes yet and the other who has been with us a year continues to miss fire at goal and maybe set up 2 goals since he has been here

Shakes McQueen
08-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I wish our DP`s would have an impact on a game.Henry comes in and set Angel up for 2 goals and plays 90 minutes.Our 2 don`t seem to have much to show for 90 min .One can`t play for 90 minutes yet and the other who has been with us a year continues to miss fire at goal and maybe set up 2 goals since he has been here

de Guzman is a defensive midfielder. Henry is a striker. Henry also has a million times more talent than pretty much anyone else currently playing in the league.

- Scott

Roogsy
08-02-2010, 01:46 AM
de Guzman is a defensive midfielder. Henry is a striker. Henry also has a million times more talent than pretty much anyone else currently playing in the league.

- Scott

Which basically proves we misused our DP slot to begin with.

jazzy
08-02-2010, 09:16 AM

- Scott
This , no offense intended, this is just getting tiring, he should be able to at least hit the net.....and I'm wondering when he is actually going to hold the ball more consistantly rather than jump around and quickly make a poor decision....yes our overrated players maybe don't have the the soccer mindset he does? but....thats why he's paid so much...or better when is our boring coach going to put the best players on the field all at once to prove me wrong...sick of work horses, with little skill, and rookies Sanyang, Nane, starting.....is it too much to ask to have Mista, De Guzman, DeRo, Santos, Cann, Attakora, Barrett (on the wing), no Garcia, etc...

Pachuco
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM

- Scott

I couldn't be more bored of listening to this insane argument. Defensive midfielder or not, Julian has 11 shots this year, only 5 of those hit the net and 0 of them went in. That's 1 shot behind Labrocca (3rd on the team, who happens to have the most minutes on the team). If he's so defensive, how's he getting all these opportunities on net? It's a myth. Deguzman plays as a CM on this team, he is not purely defensive. This is just people's way of excusing JDG from any offensive responsibilities. It's too bad the stats also don't go on to show you that atleast 4 of those missed chances were 1 on 1 with the goalie.

ag futbol
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Which basically proves we misused our DP slot to begin with.
Yep.

But the absolute WORST part about this is (which seems to happen continuously when Mo Johnston signs players) is that the pieces don't fit together and we are building a fantasy team. What was the point of getting a DM who excels spraying the ball around then surrounding him with guys who can't play that game?

Could you imagine a manager making his largest capital expenditure on something he doesn't effectively use? That's what we've been doing for the last year.

Johnston is a moron in the highest order.