PDA

View Full Version : CONCACAF Referees and Match Officials

backbeat
07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I wasn't sure of the rules around Referee selection - i was a bit worried about where the officals for the 2nd leg would be from bias-wise. this is a bit more reassuring. thought i'd post as i wasn't sure who else might be wondering. This is from the CONCACAF Champions League Regulations:

http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/f0/51/0,,12813~152048,00.pdf

Referees and Match Officials

14.1 The CONCACAF Referees’ Committee shall appoint the referees and assistant referees for all games. Two referees and two assistant referees shall be appointed for each game.

14.2 The referee and assistant referees chosen for each game shall be from a country whose Club is not included in the game in question.

14.3 The fourth official may be selected from any country, including that of the host team, in order to limit the cost of organizing games. The match officials shall be selected from the current FIFA international lists.

TFC115
07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Thats good to know, but im pretty sure they will still get the majority of the calls. I acually thought the 1st offical was very good tuesday, must be the first time I have ever said that.

Carts
07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Thats good to know, but im pretty sure they will still get the majority of the calls. I acually thought the 1st offical was very good tuesday, must be the first time I have ever said that.

I thought the ref was very good on Tuesday...

I like an official that isn't too 'card happy'... There was several times that he called over a player, gave'em shit, and then the free-kick was taken...

I'll take that over 'instant yellow' anyday...

Although, I didn't agree with de Santos yellow...

Carts...

eustacchio
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
^ I agree with all of the above. I even said so during the game.

Derko
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
^^ Agreed, I thought it was a very good match from all sides, Supporters, TFC, Motagua and Officials. It was an excellent evening!!

woolly
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
You wait, we'll get Balemoro Toledo as a referee.

Carts
07-29-2010, 01:07 PM

I don't know what's worse, hearing the statement above, or picking up the phone and hearing "...this is revenue Canada, you're being audited..."

Carts... :D

JonO
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Although, I didn't agree with de Santos yellow...

Not sure what that was about. He just sort of stood there while they took shots at him. Maybe I missed something...

eustacchio
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
^ I don't think it was you who missed anything. Just the ref.

Carts
07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
^ I don't think it was you who missed anything. Just the ref.

My guess, is the ref "thought" he missed a 'stomp' by de Santos...

If he saw one, it would have been straight red... I think he had a moment of panic b/c he thought he missed something fairly close to him, and went for the yellow to walk the line & ease reaction...

Worst part, the Montagua player on the pitch 'karate chopped' de Santos in the the back of the leg (which didn't phase the big man at all LOL)...

But like I said, I liked his game overall (the official) and thought he was very consistent...

Especially consistent in the box. He set his standard by not calling a penalty early when someone went down, and stuck to that all game...

It was Terry Vaughan right...???

Carts...

J .
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Might as well not even show up if he is there. Worst official in any sports, ever. I firmly believe he is on the dole of some mafia, betting scam. I do not trust him one bit. He never provides a fair game.

Im not just saying this as a TFC fan, but I do watch some MLS games and it always seems he is just horribly biased for one team.

iansmcl
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Ref had a good game.

However, he let a pair of shoves against TFC players go, which I though was weird. There was the one on Santos, when he got his yellow. And there was another where DeRo stood over the ball to stop a quick free quick and the Motagua player shoved him.

I don't understand how neither of those got a card, as it was striking at an opponent... Did I miss something?

Blizzard
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Ref had a good game.

However, he let a pair of shoves against TFC players go, which I though was weird. There was the one on Santos, when he got his yellow. And there was another where DeRo stood over the ball to stop a quick free quick and the Motagua player shoved him.

I don't understand how neither of those got a card, as it was striking at an opponent... Did I miss something?

I agree. Both were deserving of yellows. I don't know what the ref was thinking on those.