PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reed-Carver's Choice: Fair or Folly

denime
06-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Carver's Choice: Fair or Folly

I knew what he was going to do – yet when he did it I was still a little surprised that he'd actually done it.
In the broadcast booth on game days, the last thing I write down before the program begins are the team lineups and formations. I always have a pretty good idea of what they'll look like, but I never commit them to paper until the 'official' lineups appear around an hour before kickoff.
Essentially, they are a reference point for me – a safety net in case of 'brain-cramp' while providing a central focus when my producer is inside my head, instructing me to promote forthcoming attractions on the network as I'm trying to call the game.
When the Toronto FC lineup arrived for the Kansas City game it confirmed what I already knew. It also confirmed what we all know – head coach John Carver is a man of his word.
Carver's policy on team selection has been crystal clear since day one. He picks players based on form, availability and, in some cases, attitude – just ask goalkeeper Brian Edwards. Carver believes if a player gets a chance and takes it he can expect to keep the jersey for the following game regardless of perceived status, experience or skill.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/reed/2008/06/carvers_choice_fair_or_folly.html%22)

Nerepis
06-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks denime, looks like a good story but the link is not working for me.:noidea:

CanuckPete
06-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Just lop off the "%20" at the end.

Eastend
06-24-2008, 07:11 AM
ditto...and I can't find the article on cbc.ca either.

denime
06-24-2008, 07:13 AM
FIXED, sorry for inconvenience :stogey:

Nerepis
06-24-2008, 07:28 AM
FIXED, sorry for inconvenience :stogey:

Thanks again denime, good article. Nigel makes a good point and it's probably the reason why this board has been lite up with "love Carver/hate Carver" threads the last few days:

"I can honestly see both sides of the debate and I'm not sure there's a right or wrong solution."