PDA

View Full Version : Why so few night games?

KdotOdot
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Seriously? In my opinion the best TFC games are weeknight games. Hell I'd take a Saturday night game just the same!

We're a summer league. Forcing our palyers to sweat in 34+ weather on a Saturday at 12:30 pm is fucking idiotic. Whos fault is that? I really want to know because thats some ol' bullshit if you ask me.

The quality of MLS football seems to DRASTICALY improve at night. Is it just me?

Phil
07-28-2010, 08:19 AM
I agree. Can't get my head around why we don't play more evening games. They always have better atmosphere and the players get to play in temperatures that allow them to perform.

Only thing I can think of is afternoon games may be better for the TV coverage, but to me it is still shit ratings so that won't last long.

Parkdale
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
this will probably never happen, but I'd love to have a game that's dark when we arrive.
I know it won't happen because if it's getting dark at 7:00pm, it's probably less than 5'c.

As for who is 'at fault' for the afternoon games - probably TV networks.
Specifically ESPN as they are the main broadcaster in the states.
We all know that MLS will take backseat to almost any other sport,
so that's why we get lumped into the afternoon slots.

Cashcleaner
07-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Agreed 100% with Kdot. I've always noticed a great improvement both in terms of atmosphere and on-pitch performance when we've played in the evening. Let's face it, people have a lot more energy to do shit when it's 20 degrees rather than 30 degrees.

Whoop
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
You said it Kdot.

drexel10
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
this will probably never happen, but I'd love to have a game that's dark when we arrive.
I know it won't happen because if it's getting dark at 7:00pm, it's probably less than 5'c.

As for who is 'at fault' for the afternoon games - probably TV networks.
Specifically ESPN as they are the main broadcaster in the states.
We all know that MLS will take backseat to almost any other sport,
so that's why we get lumped into the afternoon slots.

not ESPN's fault at all. Most teams in the US play night games all season long, we started this afternoon trend. Seattle and Philly (surprise surprise) have joined in on the afternoon games.

KdotOdot
07-28-2010, 08:47 AM
not ESPN's fault at all. Most teams in the US play night games all season long, we started this afternoon trend. Seattle and Philly (surprise surprise) have joined in on the afternoon games.

Is that True?

Where's Paul. I demand answers!

Carts
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Its CBC...

They have the rights to our weekend home games...

They want the time slot branded for consistency (a very common TV marketing / scheduling strategy) and our season crosses with the NHL...

So, that means Saturday afternoon to avoid the mighty Hockey Night in Canada...

What TFC needs to try and do, is convince CBC that during the summer months, the Saturday night sports craved TV audience will embrace TFC in the absence of hockey (yes different audience I know, just try and sell it to CBC) so they schedule Saturday Night 7pm games, in the absence of hockey...

But, as for weekend night games in March/April/May/June or October - not gonna happen....

But July & August could give us a few good weekend night games during the hottest months of the year...

Carts...

Whoop
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I can't wait until we play Montreal in a couple of seasons at home at night on a weekend and same in Montreal on a Saturday night.

KdotOdot
07-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Jesus. The most fucked up thing about this team is that it's being affected by so many factors it's ridiculus.

fuck CBC. SportsNet Stand UP!!

Roogsy
07-28-2010, 08:55 AM
MORE NIGHT GAMES!

TFCUNITED
During the colder months during the season they can play mid-day to get the warmest temperature and during the warmer months they should play in the evening when it's cooler than the mid-day heat.

Parkdale
^ Less Serif fonts! (clearly directed at ROOGSY)

Whoop
07-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Not only more night matches... but more CCL matches!

flatpicker
07-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes, more night games... and a roof!
;)

rocker
07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
What TFC needs to try and do, is convince CBC that during the summer months, the Saturday night sports craved TV audience will embrace TFC in the absence of hockey (yes different audience I know, just try and sell it to CBC) so they schedule Saturday Night 7pm games, in the absence of hockey... .

I could see this happening when Montreal and Vancouver are in the league. Both teams against each other on a Saturday night in the summer could be a great replacement for the hockey slot.

Kevvv
07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
What the hell is on CBC on a Saturday night anyway once hockey is finished?

Carts
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Jesus. The most fucked up thing about this team is that it's being affected by so many factors it's ridiculus.

fuck CBC. SportsNet Stand UP!!

In fairness this happens in every league that is on television...

Look at the EPL...

They released the schedule, then about a week later, clubs had up to 15-games change days & times for television...

It sucks, but it is a fact of life...

I think TFC/MLS other Canadian clubs can convince CBC to embrace the Summer Saturday night slot, especially when Montreal / Vancouver join in...

Its even worse in the NFL... Every Monday (later in the season) they decide what the Sunday Night game will be - there's one scheduled, but if the game has lost relevance (top team vs sh*t team) they change the schedule 6-days prior to have the best matchup on television...

Carts...

ilikemusic
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Its CBC...

They have the rights to our weekend home games...

They want the time slot branded for consistency (a very common TV marketing / scheduling strategy) and our season crosses with the NHL...

So, that means Saturday afternoon to avoid the mighty Hockey Night in Canada...

What TFC needs to try and do, is convince CBC that during the summer months, the Saturday night sports craved TV audience will embrace TFC in the absence of hockey (yes different audience I know, just try and sell it to CBC) so they schedule Saturday Night 7pm games, in the absence of hockey...

But, as for weekend night games in March/April/May/June or October - not gonna happen....

But July & August could give us a few good weekend night games during the hottest months of the year...

Carts...

CBC would be stupid to not start pushing mid-summer, Saturday night games between the Canadian teams. The current ratings really shouldnt count. Right now MLS is still just a one team league as far as CBC and Canada is concerned, and the ratings reflect that.

Hell, lets get some Saturday night double headers going CBC!

8pm - Toronto-Montreal
10pm - Vancouver-Portland

:hump:

__wowza
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
^ Less Serif fonts! (clearly directed at ROOGSY)

if i could post in wingdings, i would.

Whoop
07-28-2010, 10:54 AM
CBC would be stupid to not start pushing mid-summer, Saturday night games between the Canadian teams. The current ratings really shouldnt count. Right now MLS is still just a one team league as far as CBC and Canada is concerned, and the ratings reflect that.

Hell, lets get some Saturday night double headers going CBC!

8pm - Toronto-Montreal
10pm - Vancouver-Portland

:hump:

QFT.

Derko
07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
MORE NIGHT GAMES!

I vote for this as well, 7:30 start so the GO train crowd aren't running in after kickoff, I can't get over those fucking dawdlers who are ambling through the concourse, and my wife and I are racing to get to our seats if we get in after kick off.

Super
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
We'll have a long off-season to push for different start times in 2011. I say we make this a priority!

DichioTFC
07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Agree with Kdot.

If we make it to the CONCACAF group stage, there will be 3 more night games, so....
:scarf:

TeeeGO
07-28-2010, 01:41 PM
soccer night in Canada would be dope.. but just cant see that happening. maybe 10yrs down the road

Yohan
07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
soccer night in Canada would be dope.. but just cant see that happening. maybe 10yrs down the road
you sure about that? I'd have never imagined to see soccer highlights on sports news shows only 2 years ago

nfitz
07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
you sure about that? I'd have never imagined to see soccer highlights on sports news shows only 2 years agoWhy not? I recall soccer highlights on the news in NASL days ... and that was the regular news, not these modern-day sports channels. Canada world cup qualifier on the news in the 1980s too.

ilikemusic
07-28-2010, 02:05 PM

I genuinely believe that once Montreal and Vancouver are in the league, 'Soccer Night in Canada' will become a very real possibility.

As I said, with only one Canadian team in MLS (and that team being from the nationally reviled Toronto) the country isnt going to latch on. But once the west coast viewers start tuning in, and once the Quebec viewers start tuning in, ratings will improve dramatically and CBC will start to see the benefits of putting Canadian soccer on in prime time.

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
In fairness this happens in every league that is on television...

Look at the EPL...

They released the schedule, then about a week later, clubs had up to 15-games change days & times for television...

It sucks, but it is a fact of life...

I think TFC/MLS other Canadian clubs can convince CBC to embrace the Summer Saturday night slot, especially when Montreal / Vancouver join in...

Its even worse in the NFL... Every Monday (later in the season) they decide what the Sunday Night game will be - there's one scheduled, but if the game has lost relevance (top team vs sh*t team) they change the schedule 6-days prior to have the best matchup on television...

Carts...

This would definitely be the best solution. It makes far more sense for the players during the warmest months of the year, the quality of the matches would be enhanced, and their would be no conflict with Hockey Night In Canada.

I LOVE NIGHT GAMES!

:scarf:

C.Ronaldo
07-28-2010, 03:07 PM
its proven heat drecreases performance.

I dont see why anyone would have ever schduled soccer during the hottest part of the day.

Performance also slows down. The body begins to compensate for its immediate problem of too much heat when the brain receives the heated blood. As body temperature rises, the brain sends out instructions to decrease the muscle tone. Individuals may feel tired and listless, and not able to work as well. Not only does production suffer as a result, but also the individual feels more of the burden of work. It becomes increasingly harder to perform their regular tasks.

C.Ronaldo
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
also

weekday night games rock

really gives me something to look forward to