PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: Motagua vs. TFC

Batman
07-27-2010, 08:59 PM
1-0 TFC.

More work ahead... in a tough environment.
I wish we got a 2nd goal, but it's a start.

We never make it easy.

Hooligan69
07-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Woooo. Victory for TFC. :flare:

pedro
Should have put away a couple more, not only because of the insurance, but they had the chances.

ArmenJBX
Well, we still have one game to go. 1-0 win (again) may not be good enough I fear! :(

gracos
07-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I was impressed with Toronto, but feel like its an individual player game, so many times the players did not what to expect from others, that it sometimes messed with our chances of obtaining goals. But other then that, well done, lets see what we can do in Tegucicalpa.

deltox
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm waiting for the jdg comments

TFC USA
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Garcia wasn't terrible in the 2nd half (wasn't here for most of the 1st half).

It's a miracle!! :D

Lucky Strike
07-27-2010, 09:09 PM
It's definitely a positive result but it feels like it could have been more. I hope it doesn't do us in next week against a very good team.

bigtfcfan
07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm waiting for the jdg comments

I thought he played well

Luanda
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I thought he played well

Yes we did. But we also blew a few significant chances.

ArmenJBX
07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I can't believe Im saying this but Nick Garcia had a great game today!

razor787
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Garcia wasn't terrible in the 2nd half (wasn't here for most of the 1st half).

It's a miracle!! :D

Where were you? Garcia ended up blocking some vital crosses, and stole the ball from the attackers on numerous occasions, and had no more blunders then the rest of the team. He had a excellent game somehow...

And what was up with the trainer in the closing minutes. I swear the Steroid spray has been banned.

GBV
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
have a feeling we'll regret those missed chances a week from now.
here's hoping not, but 1-0 just doesn't make me super confident heading to honduras.

TFC USA
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Where were you? Garcia ended up blocking some vital crosses, and stole the ball from the attackers on numerous occasions, and had no more blunders then the rest of the team. He had a excellent game somehow...

And what was up with the trainer in the closing minutes. I swear the Steroid spray has been banned.

I was out shopping and got caught up in traffic.

Wonder if I should miss the game more often if that's what happens. :D

sully
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
DeGuz was best player..his best game yet.

deltox
07-27-2010, 09:23 PM
:facepalm:

DoubleUp
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Good win by the boys! but decision making is still poor and rushed. We should have scored atleast 3 goals with more composed decision making in the final 3rd. Imo Nene is a better choice than sanyang for Dm and should be used more.

FluSH
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I liked what I saw in JDG... I don't think anyone else wants him to score more than I do.. including JDG. It's frustrating... he needs to pop his cherry!

Also, I feel that Barrett was pisseeeeeed for beign taking off. I can understand the tactical move by Preki... but Barrett was in his game mode... he could have scored another one. It's too bad Preki took the risk and went with Maicon ( who is also decent) while Barrett was hot.

Pachuco
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM

WTF? Do you get Impressed by his nappy hair or something. I can't stand to watch him round around and accomplish nothing anymore.

FluSH
07-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Ok he was good... but not MOTM... not by far.

loconet
07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
:flare:

http://images.wildammo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/f_celeb.gif

FluSH
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Now we just need to hope for a Miracle in Honduras... I can only dream that we tie the game over there... It's going to be Hostile... it's going to be Hot... and Motagua will get the calls... If we tie or lose 1-0 and take it to penalties we will be lucky.

James17930
07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Now we just need to hope for a Miracle in Honduras... I can only dream that we tie the game over there... It's going to be Hostile... it's going to be Hot... and Motagua will get the calls... If we tie or lose 1-0 and take it to penalties we will be lucky.

Fuck. It would be our first meaningful penalty shootout. So far we're 0 - 3 in meaningless ones . . . I don't fancy our chances there.

Anyone got the attendance?

Ageroo
07-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Fuck. It would be our first meaningful penalty shootout. So far we're 0 - 3 in meaningless ones . . . I don't fancy our chances there.

Anyone got the attendance?

I was there and I think announced was 18 thousand something.....I could be wrong, but i thought that is what I heard......

James17930
07-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Pretty good. And of course it blows anywhere else out of the water for Prelim. CL crowds :D

Shakes McQueen
07-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Good win - JDG, DeRo and Barrett all had good games. Barrett once again manages to score a goal in a "meaningful" game for us. Garcia was competent.

Hopefully we don't rue some of the missed chances... but it was good. I'm content with the result.

- Scott

tfcleeds
07-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Congrats on the win - not to take anything away from the boys.

But we really needed a 2nd goal. We had several very good chances to get one - and didn't. They have it all to do in the 2nd leg.

We need a defensive miracle.

backbeat
07-27-2010, 09:53 PM
all in all a good game although they worried me in the last 10 minutes - JDG had a great game, very active, some mistakes but mainly valuable play

is it enough - i don't know..

Chevy
07-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I think the club played well, but am I the only one here that thinks we could have easily tied or even lost the match outright?

Montagua was unlucky with that handball and called off goal in the first half, and the little dude missed a Cunningham-esque sitter with a few minutes left.

TFC USA
07-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I dunno about going to Honduras. Canada's history with Honduras in football hasn't been too good lately. ;)

sully
07-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Good win by the boys! but decision making is still poor and rushed. We should have scored atleast 3 goals with more composed decision making in the final 3rd. Imo Nene is a better choice than sanyang for Dm and should be used more.

Yeah they could have scored a few, but Montagua had some great chances too. Anyway, the main thing and the more important thing is that we didn't concede a goal. We get one goal in Hondorous will make it very very difficult for them.

Yohan
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
out of curiousity, how many goals for barrett in all competition now? 8?

Darlofletch
07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I was really impressd by gatorade for motagua. that dude was all over the pitch!

TFC115
07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Thought the boys played very well tonight but, i just hope those chances don't come and bit us in the ass! BTW I don't know who likes peterson on here but he was fucken brutal!!!! I've said it since we got him, he should be coming off the bench!

morgank1986
07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
I have a feeling we're really going to be regretting not finishing those chances. On the positive side I thought we all sounded really good tonight. Looking across to the North End from 115 it was awesome to see 127, most of 126 and some of 125 standing and getting into the songs.

Carts
07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I was really impressd by gatorade for motagua. that dude was all over the pitch!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Awesome Post...

But its true... "Gatorade" was so great, I thought I saw 11 of him out there...!!!

Carts... :D

The Oz
07-27-2010, 10:19 PM
From what I've seen Peterson missed more chances that I've seen Chad miss lately. And on that note, beautiful finish by Barrett, he keeps doing that more often and he'll be across the pond eventually. But those misses were absolutely terrible, should have been something like 3-0 which would have had us a lot more relaxed going into Honduras but, we will see how it plays out.

James17930
07-27-2010, 10:21 PM
The last time we scored more than one goal in a match was May 29th.

Two months. Ouch.

scut farkus
07-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Good game overall. I felt Peterson and Nane were weak points though. Seemed some teammates were getting frustrated with especially Nane...

stugautz
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I thought DeRo was going to get pulled at half. He looked tired in the first half. Had that one nice spin move in the 2nd half.

Krasno.pL.
07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Good game overall. I felt Peterson and Nane were weak points though. Seemed some teammates were getting frustrated with especially Nane...

NANE had a wonderful game tonight

Cristiano14
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Couldn't disagree more on the nane part, he had an amazing night and was far better in the DM role than sanyang usually is
the majority of nanes passes were spot on and he rarely lost the ball

SirBobSaget
07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
From what I've seen Peterson missed more chances that I've seen Chad miss lately. And on that note, beautiful finish by Barrett, he keeps doing that more often and he'll be across the pond eventually. But those misses were absolutely terrible, should have been something like 3-0 which would have had us a lot more relaxed going into Honduras but, we will see how it plays out.

Peterson booted 1 good and one great chance way over the net. From 105 I saw him clearly mess up 2 long throws and one attempted cross as well. He looked awful. I think part of the Gargan for Usanov sub was so that he would take the throws on right side.

James17930
07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I agree. Nane played well. Much better control than Sanyang.

Roogsy
07-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Great game, great night, good result.

We needed that second goal. We may regret it on the reverse. But I am not concentrating on that right now. 3 points at home always feels good.

Oh...and all the supporters sections were rocking. The southeast and the northwest. Booyakasha!

Whoop
07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I thought Nane was terrible in the 1st half.

Didn't see much of the 2nd.

Pookie
07-27-2010, 10:38 PM
really like JDG out there as left mid in an attacking role

Darlofletch
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I thought we played a really good game today. if De Guzman or Peterson could finish we'd be looking pretty sweet right now.

i liked the more attacking formation, but some of the player choices were a bit strange. I get the whole squad rotation thing, but I'd have liked to have seen our top line up out there from the start, try and get the big win so we can rest dudes for next weeks game, as it is we're going to have to take that very seriously indeed.

Cann was great in defence, garcia was also very solid, though his passing left a bit to be desired at times, but he generally made good decisions as to when to just get it out of there rather than try something fancy, one of his better games for us.

I thought nane had a great game, i was very pleasantly surprised by him, and de Guzman and de Rosario both played well, aside form their finishing. both of them were very box to box, de ro really helping out at the back, and de guzman getting forward a lot as well.

Great finish from Barrett on the goal, would have liked to see him keep going in the second half.

Will we win it all together? I thought 2-0 would have given us a good chance, 1-0 I think favours motagua, having to play in their weather with their fans and a referee presumably more sympathetic to the central american style will really be a big test for the boys.

crowd was awesome tonight, really good anthem, and it just kept going from there, southwest corner stuff regularly going a long way across the south end, and a lot more people than usual in 126 and even 125, and the 200's joining in with the simpler stuff from nee.

All in all a really enjoyable night, if only there wasn't a second leg to come.

billyfly
07-27-2010, 10:45 PM

We needed that second goal. We may regret it on the reverse. But I am not concentrating on that right now. 3 points at home always feels good.

Oh...and all the supporters sections were rocking. The southeast and the northwest. Booyakasha!

Very true. We needed a 2-0 result b/c I see a 3-0 away defeat in Honduras.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
In the home end of the tie you gotta take care of business! What was up with Barrett pulling up on that breakaway?

Going to be very, very tough to keep a clean sheet with this defence. We tried to protect the lead for the last 20 minutes and they cut us up.

Tough to defend for 90...hope I'm wrong...

greatwhitenorf
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Joseph Nane was terrific tonight as a DM. My MOTM though was Adrian Cann.

Usmanov and Garcia were both liabilities waiting to become disasters.

When O'Brien White isn't showing the dash and flair of an overloaded laundry machine, he's displaying all the first touch of an anvil. Both Mista and Maicon Santos are vastly superior.

And Chad Barrett. Chad, Chad, Chad. Scored one, missed many. Could've had this game done and dusted by halftime. In game mode, oh yes. That's exactly his long-established game mode. Really want things to come good for this guy. May require a second lifespan.

Really nice job by the South Side Singers tonight. Seriously.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Galaxy are getting humped at home 4-1 by PR Islanders.

rocker
07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Cann is a fuckin rock back there. Great awareness and technique.

I'm scared of the second leg tho. Not because it's Honduras, but because we have a game in KC a few days before. The travel is gonna be a bitch and the guys are gonna be tired, which is gonna make it that much tougher. Now, TFC just needs a tie, and I think this team could grind out an ugly 0-0 road game. But Motagua just need 1-0 to even it up and 2-0 to win it and move the group stage.

At the end, I wasn't as happy as the drunks heading through the Go Train tunnel. I really lamented the lost opportunities to make it 2-0. We saw in some previous Voyageurs Cup tourneys how a 1-0 win at home can be a problem later.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Our fullbacks are shite. Cann and Attakora do more than a decent job...their not the problem. That mob tonight carved the two outside men like a piece of soap.

WTF? Nick Garcia???

Whoop
07-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Didn't the Limpact ride a number of 1-0 games into the quarters?

ManUtd4ever
07-27-2010, 10:59 PM
I just got back from the game, holy traffic on the DVP tonight!

I thought TFC dominated for most of the match and once again should have scored 3 goals tonight if not for a lack of finish around the net. I was pleasantly surprised with the play of Garcia and Joseph in particular. JDG and DeRo were putting in magnificent through balls all night and Barrett put away one of his two glorious chances. If TFC can score a goal in Honduras next week I think they have a very good chance of advancing to the next round...

DavydMT
07-27-2010, 11:03 PM
I thought Nane was terrible in the 1st half.

Didn't see much of the 2nd.

Thank you Vic.

rocker
07-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Didn't the Limpact ride a number of 1-0 games into the quarters?

their first game of the play-in was a 1-0 win over Real Esteli. Then they got a 0-0 draw at Real Esteli. But I remember distinctly that RE was total shit. I believe they even played the RE "home" game in Honduras since RE's stadium in Nicaragua wasnt good enough.

In the group stage Montreal didn't have any 1-0 games. They had a couple 2 goal games and a 4 goal gamer against Joe Pubes.

mclaren
07-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Agreed, he was awesome tonight - great defensive midfield performance, cut their attacks out, and passed well to rebuild. Like a young Roy Keane out there ;)

jazzy
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM

what game was I at, 1rst half his touch's were brutal....and gave the ball away, He did get better in the 2nd half, but he was lost in the beginning, Is it only me that was disappointed with the starting line up? I thought we might go all out for once and simply put the best men on the field. It didn't seem as important a game to Preki as I would have assumed. what is with Mista playing only 30 mins a game?

Whoop
07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Wow... Puerto Rico just pumped the Galaxy 4-1 in LA.

mclaren
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Don't panic! Get an early AWAY goal and all is good.

bones
07-27-2010, 11:27 PM
A Win, Tie or loss by 1 goal AS LONG AS WE SCORE ONE, will do.

"

Tie-Breaker Procedures
In the event two teams are tied on aggregate goals scored at the end of

Regulation time in the 2

nd Leg (Preliminary Round or Championship Stage) or on

points (Group Stage) the following tie-breaker criteria shall be applied, in
order, to determine the winning team or ranking of teams.
Phase 1: Preliminary Round and Phase 3: Elimination Round
·

Greater aggregate number of away goals scored in regulation time in the

two matches (excluding any goals scored in overtime)
·

Greater number of goals scored in the overtime periods at the end of the

second match
· Kicks from the Penalty Spot procedure (as per FIFA Laws of the Game)
"

Bones...

Whoop
07-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Cruz Azul beat San Francisco 3-2 tonight in Panama.

Hooligan69
07-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Bah! A personal issue resulted in being unable to attend the game at BMO, so I was relegated to watching via online stream instead. Wish I could have been there. :( Glad our boys picked up the win and I hope we have a good performance in Honduras, as well, with another victory.

Carts
07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
what game was I at, 1rst half his touch's were brutal....and gave the ball away, He did get better in the 2nd half, but he was lost in the beginning, Is it only me that was disappointed with the starting line up? I thought we might go all out for once and simply put the best men on the field. It didn't seem as important a game to Preki as I would have assumed. what is with Mista playing only 30 mins a game?

I don't agree with this at all...

He was managing the players - as they have a game on the weekend, and then a much tougher task in Honduras against this same squad...

Add to it that Dero will be travelling to Houston and possibly playing minutes in the All-Star Game, and I think Preki was trying to manage the fitness and fatigue of the players...

Because its a 2-game aggregate, and b/c of other fixtures, you can't just throw out everyone for 90-mins and figure "...ya they'll be fine for the next two matches..."

Mista will be leaned on heavily in Honduras (I think), so his 'gas tank' was conserved a little tonight...

I think we'll see some more guys in/out of the lineup Saturday - as we'll play for the draw, and try to keep the top guys in top form for Honduras...

Also, Preki being a tactical guy, I think Nane was a bit of a decoy tonight - as in Honduras, when they'll be pressing, we may see JDG back in his DM role, adding experience, a top talent, and a new level of play as they move forward that they didn't see tonight...

Also, I thoought Nane did a good job... Some tough touches, but otherwise stuck in and did well... He took an earfull from JDG one play - I like a vet speaking with a new addition, but he was a little over the top in screaming at him... But if that means a solid performance and win, hey anyone will take a yelling I'm guessing :)

Carts...

Juanito
07-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Great atmosphere at the match today. It "felt" like a Champions League match. It was excellent.

This was one of the better TFC matches in a while. Chances were created, we just lacked some finishing. Santos, DeRo, Mista, and even Chad all looked great today and I truly believe they just have to play together more for the goals to come.

De Guzmán is the engine. The way he moves around the pitch is why I love this sport. He doesn't score much, but he controls the match as much as one man can. He made some beautiful passes to open up the game, and again, with time, I can see Mista and Santos becoming goal-scoring monsters with JDG spreading the ball. JDG playing like an attacker seems to work well, he can distribute the ball to the players.

Defensilvely .... Cann is the man.

I was impressed with what I saw. For once, DeRo wasn't the best player out there, and that is a good thing for this club.

ilikemusic
07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Nane, Cann, Attakora, Barrett and Maicon I thought all had great games.

DeRo and DeGuz were good, but the lack of finish from guys that should be our two best players is disappointing.

I hated Peterson. I thought he was caught out of position once or twice, failed to make supporting runs a couple times, and completely bottled the couple of nice chances he had.

Great game by Toronto overall though. Should have been 3 or 4 nil.

twistedchinaman
07-28-2010, 12:07 AM
It's a good start -- but that's all it was!

1-0 is not going to be enough; the Reds better play out of their skins; this is the house they will be playing in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Tiburcio_Car%C3%ADas_Andino

Up to 35K hostile supporters will fill those stands. We must silence them quickly and keep them out of the game...

COME ON YOU REDS!!!! :scarf:

twistedchinaman
07-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Galaxy got lucky; would have been even worse without the o.g.!

Now to see how Slouchers do tomorrow against Metapan...

jloome
07-28-2010, 12:23 AM
It was absolutely evident today that the team has been working on tactical movement around the box, with trailers and support all over the place, sensible movement along the edge of the box etc. Serious, serious upgrades in this game offensively.

We should've buried more than one, though. Tough atmosphere down there.

bgnewf
07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
TFC Wins 1st Ever Champions League Game - Post Game V-Blog

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/07/684/

Some footage from the south stands of tonight's victory in the CONCACAF Champions League 1-0 over CD Motagua of Honduras, plus my thoughts on the win and why it could have been much much worse!

Toronto Ruffrider
07-28-2010, 01:32 AM

But its true... "Gatorade" was so great, I thought I saw 11 of him out there...!!!

And number 1, is Gatorade
And number 2, is Gatorade
And number 3, is Gatorade
And number 4, is Gatorade

We all piss out a stream of Gatorades
A stream of Gatorades
A stream of Gatorades

:D

twistedchinaman
07-28-2010, 02:18 AM

http://www.foxsportswest.com/pages/video/?PID=gZaEIZPefbQms989XmJfZVhbtuVWKmtD

^ :facepalm:

Pathetic crowd; pathetic effort -- THIS team is supposed to be the embodiment of MLS? Bah!

You'd think the Galaxatives would have taken some notes from our misadventure against Puerto Rico last year; looks like they fell asleep.

Back to us...

Watched the Game In Six; Peterson needs to simmer down and let the big guns handle the goal scoring -- perhaps feeding it to Maicon/Mista/DeRo/Barrett would be better than whailing it waaaaaaay wide over and over?

Alonso
07-28-2010, 04:33 AM
I was there and I think announced was 18 thousand something.....I could be wrong, but i thought that is what I heard......

Yeah 18,400 ballpark was what I heard to.

Alonso
07-28-2010, 04:39 AM
I think the club played well, but am I the only one here that thinks we could have easily tied or even lost the match outright?

Montagua was unlucky with that handball and called off goal in the first half, and the little dude missed a Cunningham-esque sitter with a few minutes left.

This is very minor but has to be said if it hasn't been done so already. It's Motagua not Montagua, and its pronounced MO (As in MO) .... TAGUA no N please...

Alonso
07-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Couldn't disagree more on the nane part, he had an amazing night and was far better in the DM role than sanyang usually is

+1 Couldn't agree more

Alonso
07-28-2010, 04:47 AM

I was sitting as I always do in top middle of the East Stands and can attribute to the fact that the supporters sections were rocking it hard! I was blown away at the NEE, which had other sections rocking for the first time....

We need to get the scalpers out of the equation so that every game rocks like this!

Alonso
07-28-2010, 04:49 AM

I sit way back so I couldn't tell, we he that little guy wearing #32 (I think)? He ran around like a maniac!?! Great plays too!

Alonso
07-28-2010, 05:02 AM

Mista can't run at the moment, or didn't you notice? He's like a coal powered locomotive out there... Until he's in game shape 10 minutes is too much.

FluSH
07-28-2010, 05:37 AM
And number 1, is Gatorade
And number 2, is Gatorade
And number 3, is Gatorade
And number 4, is Gatorade

We all piss out a stream of Gatorades
A stream of Gatorades
A stream of Gatorades

This is Hilarious!!!

sampace
07-28-2010, 06:18 AM
DeGuzman played well, first game I've watched this year, and in person you really see his football controlling skills live that sometimes gets missed on T.V. He is terrific and a step above anyone else on the team, he is Defensive Midfielder and all, but it would be nice if he could get break his string of bad luck around the net and actually finish a couple of chances behind the net. I'd love to see him score a few goals.

sampace
07-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Hooligan69, where do you see Gol TV on live streaming? I'd love to see the second leg of this game next week but didn't know they show the game live, I thought it was only CBC games were on live streaming.

torontocelt
07-28-2010, 06:31 AM

I was also impressed with Nane, he is way better than Sanyang on this showing.

Fort York Redcoat
07-28-2010, 06:35 AM
^Ooooh Nane made some shocking mistakes. I didn't see many but he got his ass saved by Garcia of all people and DeRo on another occasion. Not dismissing him, just no perfect game from the kid.

Cashcleaner
07-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Should have put away a couple more, not only because of the insurance, but they had the chances.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. From the clips and highlights I've seen, we looked pretty confident fairly aggressive considering the who we were playing. Thought for sure OBW was gonna get that goal 17 mins into the first half.

lips
07-28-2010, 06:45 AM
What a great game, we had so many chances to get a second goal. Montagua had a few thank goodness we have Frei. I believe we controlled this one but in Honduras it may be difficult.

TFC_Junky
07-28-2010, 06:58 AM
BEST MATCH TO DATE!!! I have no voice left at all. For all those who didn't make the game, you missed an amazing match!

brad
07-28-2010, 07:13 AM
I agree. Nane played well. Much better control than Sanyang.

Thought he was poor in the first half (mainly his distribution), and had a very good second half.

But yes, better than Sanyang.

TFC_Junky
07-28-2010, 07:18 AM
^agreed! would take Nane over Sanyang everyday!

brad
07-28-2010, 07:21 AM
It was absolutely evident today that the team has been working on tactical movement around the box, with trailers and support all over the place, sensible movement along the edge of the box etc. Serious, serious upgrades in this game offensively

Agree with this, but Motagua did not look to be a very good team to me - which certainly made things easier. Don't know anything about the standard of football in Honduras so I can't say much else, beyond the fact that I think they are in pre-season, which helped us out as well.

Pyeddo
07-28-2010, 07:25 AM
NEE were killing it in the North End last night

maninb
07-28-2010, 07:25 AM
^^ Yup seconded....Nane over Sanyang anytime....He took a while to get going but he's much better physically than Sanyang (who does nothing but hack peopel down), and he can actually beat a man on the dribble, just has to work on his passing a bit...Garcia was okay, at least he didn't give a goal away...but I think we needed to win by more...I can't see us advancing...

ecospice
07-28-2010, 07:27 AM
^Ooooh Nane made some shocking mistakes. I didn't see many but he got his ass saved by Garcia of all people and DeRo on another occasion. Not dismissing him, just no perfect game from the kid.

Agreed. Nane was horrific in the first half. He got stripped of the ball in the back end many times.

Nane did get things together after JDG thankfully chewed him out and Nane had a solid second half.

Attakora was great.

Santos and Mista were great up front. Preki can start them up top and move Barret back to the wing if he wants.

The roster is showing some depth and options, which is good.

ecospice
07-28-2010, 07:28 AM
NEE were killing it in the North End last night

...let's not get carried away... :flare:

BeerBaron95
07-28-2010, 07:35 AM
^^ Carried away??

We saw them killing the bounce and mentioned it within a few of us how the entire section was bringing it.

126 caught the fever aswell

good game by all supporters IMHO

we should see more of that regardless of game type (MLS, CCCL, NCC) or score

jaxul
07-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Was OBW in the lineup last night? He was invisible!

Great game from Frei, Attakora, Cann, DeRo

Good game from Barrett, Garcia, JDG, Santos, Gargan, Mista (although limited time)

Nane, Peterson, White, Usanov could have done better.

The buildups were there but it looked that they were almost surprised to get so many opportunities and fucked them up. DeRo left it all on the field tonight. Hope he doesn't play more than 10-15mins in the all-star tonight (if he's even playing?)

Phil
07-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Agree with this, but Motagua did not look to be a very good team to me - which certainly made things easier. Don't know anything about the standard of football in Honduras so I can't say much else, beyond the fact that I think they are in pre-season, which helped us out as well.

The reason for Motagua's poor form was that its their first game since May.

Apparetnly they have only been together for 10 days doing training. Hopefully that rust stays on till we have had our way with this series.

brad
07-28-2010, 08:09 AM
...let's not get carried away... :flare:

I sit directly across from them. Last night was the best I've ever seen them.

brad
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
The reason for Motagua's poor form was that its their first game since May.

Apparetnly they have only been together for 10 doing training. Hopefully that rust stays on till we have had our way with this series.

A week shouldn't be enough to make much of a difference. They can't do the same volume of hard physical stuff you'd normally do in pre-season with 2 competitive matches in 7 days.

The lack of travelling will definitely play a factor though.

Phil
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Last night NEE had it going on for sure.

The south was great, no doubt there but NEE had their whole section going and 126. It looked fantastic.

Phil
07-28-2010, 08:13 AM
A week shouldn't be enough to make much of a difference. They can't do the same volume of hard physical stuff you'd normally do in pre-season with 2 competitive matches in 7 days.

The lack of travelling will definitely play a factor though.

True, but I am not sure what changes have taken place on their team and 4 of those guys played in the world cup. I think it all adds up, their season doesnt start for another bit too.

Wagner
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Was OBW in the lineup last night? He was invisible!

Great game from Frei, Attakora, Cann, DeRo

Good game from Barrett, Garcia, JDG, Santos, Gargan, Mista (although limited time)

Nane, Peterson, White, Usanov could have done better.

The buildups were there but it looked that they were almost surprised to get so many opportunities and fucked them up. DeRo left it all on the field tonight. Hope he doesn't play more than 10-15mins in the all-star tonight (if he's even playing?)

White needs to step it up.
With the new talent up front, i wonder if his time with tfc is coming to an end.

I thought Cann was great last night.

I like Mista...I'm excited for when he really gets going.

DangerRed
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Great to see the result, but we really needed to see that 2nd. We had the chances for it, too, but couldn't finish. Santos overplayed a cherry ball to De Ro which would've been a goal had it been delivered properly.

Next Tuesday is gonna be nervous...

drexel10
07-28-2010, 08:40 AM
White needs to step it up.
With the new talent up front, i wonder if his time with tfc is coming to an end.

I thought Cann was great last night.

I like Mista...I'm excited for when he really gets going.

funny you said that about OBW. The only thing that kept running in my head was that he got the start and that much time because they were shopping him to somebody watching.

Roogsy
07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Last night NEE had it going on for sure.

The south was great, no doubt there but NEE had their whole section going and 126. It looked fantastic.

Yep...give props when they're due. When I looked over and saw 126 rocking as well? Well...I'd never seen that before. Well done to NEE, it's great for the whole atmosphere at BMO Field. And it made us work harder. That's good healthy competition and I welcome it.

As for the game...White is not good enough to start. End of. Period. Case closed.

Cas87
07-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I was realing hoping for TFC to score in the 2nd half not just to have a little insurance for next week but also so that the Ball Kid could just lay into the Motagua goalkeeper.
Man he was a d-bag

drewski
07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
A Win, Tie or loss by 1 goal AS LONG AS WE SCORE ONE, will do.

"

Tie-Breaker Procedures
In the event two teams are tied on aggregate goals scored at the end of

Regulation time in the 2

nd Leg (Preliminary Round or Championship Stage) or on

points (Group Stage) the following tie-breaker criteria shall be applied, in
order, to determine the winning team or ranking of teams.

Phase 1: Preliminary Round and Phase 3: Elimination Round
·

Greater aggregate number of away goals scored in regulation time in the

two matches (excluding any goals scored in overtime)

·

Greater number of goals scored in the overtime periods at the end of the

second match
· Kicks from the Penalty Spot procedure (as per FIFA Laws of the Game)
"

Bones...

losing 1-0 in regular time means OT and maybe PK's, no thanks.

As Al Davis said, JUST WIN BABY!

__wowza
07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
GAAAAAAAAAAATOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAADEEEEEEEEE

http://www.flashfilmworks.com/MovieGuide/Waterboy/waterboy01-large.jpg

started that baby up in 114, funny as hell.

Rudi
07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
WTF? Do you get Impressed by his nappy hair or something. I can't stand to watch him round around and accomplish nothing anymore.
You need to get over your hate and actually pay attention.

JDG was the best player on the pitch last night.

Phil
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM

JDG really wanted that game last night. One of his best games for TFC without doubt.

FootieChick
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM

AGREED! And I told him so... he played awesome! It was his 2nd game back since his shoulder was seperated. He helped us big time!

Ageroo
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM

I gotta agree here.....he had some bad passess yes, but definitely made up for it big time with his strong play. Game by game he is getting better and better. He was all over the attack yesterday........A lot of people are frustrated with his lack of finish when he does take his shots....but he is not a goal scorer, so cut him some slack........that touch pass to DeRo as he cut across the ball was sick!

Ageroo
07-28-2010, 10:49 AM
^^ Yup seconded....Nane over Sanyang anytime....He took a while to get going but he's much better physically than Sanyang (who does nothing but hack peopel down), and he can actually beat a man on the dribble, just has to work on his passing a bit...Garcia was okay, at least he didn't give a goal away...but I think we needed to win by more...I can't see us advancing...

yes....he did look really good, but took a while to get settled in. First half for him was a bit iffy in the passing department, but second half he seemed very composed and confident on the ball. I like having him really in that holding midfielder role....it then leave JDG the ability to roam around the pitch and join the attack like he does with the CMNT.

Roogsy
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
1) JDG had a great game. He was completely disrupting things in midfield for Motagua and creating opportunities. One of his better games in TFC red although I am still sore about him being our DP, at least he was effective yesterday.

2) What is with the Motagua goalkeeper's hair? It looks like a circumsized penis.

Ageroo
07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
1) JDG had a great game. He was completely disrupting things in midfield for Motagua and creating opportunities. One of his better games in TFC red although I am still sore about him being our DP, at least he was effective yesterday.

2) What is with the Motagua goalkeeper's hair? It looks like a circumsized penis.

Just admit you are sore he makes more money than you......:D

As for the keeper...I was in my seats in 115 and I haven't seen that much ball grabbing since Michael Jackson's Bad tour........dude had some sort of groin pull....maybe won't be in for the second leg........I thought he was going to get a beer shower for sure when he yelled at the ball boy....

FootieChick
07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Yep...give props when they're due. When I looked over and saw 126 rocking as well? Well...I'd never seen that before. Well done to NEE, it's great for the whole atmosphere at BMO Field. And it made us work harder. That's good healthy competition and I welcome it.

As for the game...White is not good enough to start. End of. Period. Case closed.

Maybe I should visit 127 more often?! hahaha

nobodybeatsthewiz
07-28-2010, 10:55 AM
GAAAAAAAAAAATOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAADEEEEEEEEE

http://www.flashfilmworks.com/MovieGuide/Waterboy/waterboy01-large.jpg

started that baby up in 114, funny as hell.

yo name is needledick

Ageroo
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM

I am thinking this as well........his first touch was horrid last night.......everythime he got a ball in prime position his touch put it 8 feet in front of him.......such a downer!

FootieChick
07-28-2010, 10:58 AM
JDG really wanted that game last night. One of his best games for TFC without doubt.

JDG did play well, it was his best game. He still needs to improve and keep it up though... means he has to keep up this persona!

ManUtd4ever
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
JDG has played his two best games as a Red in an attacking role. Last night in particular, he displayed immediate chemistry with Mista in the offensive third of the pitch. I think the time has come for Preki to consider utilizing him in that role permanently. I believe Sanyang, Labrocca, Saric, and Joseph are adequate enough in the holding midfield role...

Phil
07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
That keeper freaking on the ball kid was a bit of bullshit.

That guy really got it from 115 after that incident.

Blizzard
07-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Agreed. A couple of weak attempts on goal aside, he was superb.

Blizzard
07-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Ya 113 was giving it to him too. The keeper deserved more than he got but rules are rules.

Azerban
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Interesting, from Motagua's site:

"Luciano Emilio has been in contact with the directive and we are seeing if we bring for the next six months or a year.
We'll see if we reach an agreement in the coming days. "

ilikemusic
07-28-2010, 11:54 AM

I love when the opposing keeper gives us a reason to hate them. :flare:

Like Nolly with his "Oh I think my gloves are broken" routine in the Canadian Championship a couple years ago.

Blizzard
07-28-2010, 12:30 PM
JDG has played his two best games as a Red in an attacking role. Last night in particular, he displayed immediate chemistry with Mista in the offensive third of the pitch. I think the time has come for Preki to consider utilizing him in that role permanently. I believe Sanyang, Labrocca, Saric, and Joseph are adequate enough in the holding midfield role...

I think you may be on to something.

mmmikey
07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
JDG clearly is not cut out to be an MLS DM. It worked in La Liga which promotes space and less physical play (this isn't a bad thing, just different). MLS is just too physical and it needs a guy who will get stuck in or can physically impose themselves. As others have said, he was great offensively, and we had ALOT more going forward than we have had in a while. You also didn't see DeRo make any of his hopeless runs at multiple defenders.. I think he enjoys the extra attackers.

Nane was horrible in the first half, but he did settle in nicely and start to play well in the 2nd half.. sitting in front of the back 4 and able to turn away from trouble and pass out of it. His passes are easily receivable unlike Sanyang's. Question is.. was this a preseason team running out of steam in the 2nd half? Or was this an increase in confidence and cohesion in midfield.

Whatever the case may be, although we didn't score in the 2nd half, more of the same would be a refreshing change for the rest of the season.

DichioTFC
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I noticed the chemistry with JDG and Mista as well, they were like two magicians working together at one point.

Not sure who it was (Joseph Nane?) who juggled the ball over two opposing players in the midfield and then successfully passed it off but that was something of true inspiration!

And the boys! Stringing passes together! Wasn't Brasil 1970 but it sure felt like it

jaxul
07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
I noticed the chemistry with JDG and Mista as well, they were like two magicians working together at one point.

Not sure who it was (Joseph Nane?) who juggled the ball over two opposing players in the midfield and then successfully passed it off but that was something of true inspiration!

And the boys! Stringing passes together! Wasn't Brasil 1970 but it sure felt like it

Yep it was him. At one point we looked like the friggin globe trotters but no finish! still frustrating but entertaining mind you :scarf:

redcard
07-28-2010, 01:10 PM
JDG did play a great match, white on the other hand...no so...i was suprised to seem him still on the field at the half...

whats up with the away supporter sitting in the wrong sections...as the competition heats up the FO needs to move these people out of non away support sections...things could get ugly if a match becomes heated.

bigtfcfan
07-28-2010, 01:13 PM
JDG was really good at reading plays and breaking them up in Spain. However, in MLS there are no plays to read so he is a little ineffective in that role.

SilverSamurai
07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
JDG was really good at reading plays and breaking them up in Spain. However, in MLS there are no plays to read so he is a little ineffective in that role.
But if TFC starts to play Mexican teams this will come in handy.

He's also got CL experience too. In Europe though. He's also played and knows what the Central American environments are like thanks to the CMNT.
I would presume the same would apply to Mista.

I expect JDG to step up for the next game. :)

Juanito
07-28-2010, 08:24 PM
^^

I think JDG plays as good as his competition. The Hondurans were well-organized, quick lilltle buggers. JDG was the ONLY one out there that was able to control the ball whilst under pressure.

I think he relishes these challenges.

sampace
07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
JDG is definetly an excellent player with the ball at his feet, the kind of skills that get you in Europe top flight leagues. However, he does need to work on his finish, agreeably as a DMF that is not necessarily why we have him, but he still needs to work on it, because he can create chances with his foot skills, so it would be nice if he gets better at burying them as well!

SilverSamurai
07-28-2010, 11:10 PM
^^

I think JDG plays as good as his competition. The Hondurans were well-organized, quick lilltle buggers. JDG was the ONLY one out there that was able to control the ball whilst under pressure.

I think he relishes these challenges.
+1.
Not sure how many people noticed but he was often triple teamed.
Once Mista and Santos came on, the Hondurans started to buckle. Hopefully not being able to score a 2nd won't come back to haunt TFC.
Sort of like Jordan back in the day. Double up on him,he'd find the open guy somehow.

In any case if it comes down to holding the ball in the clutch, he's 1 of the guys I want with the ball. Get it away from Garcia!

JDG is definetly an excellent player with the ball at his feet, the kind of skills that get you in Europe top flight leagues. However, he does need to work on his finish, agreeably as a DMF that is not necessarily why we have him, but he still needs to work on it, because he can create chances with his foot skills, so it would be nice if he gets better at burying them as well!
He's never been a goal scorer. He's more of an attack player on the CMNT, but for Deportivo he was more of a defensive player. Maybe he's having an identity crisis? lol

Pachuco
07-28-2010, 11:17 PM

It's crazy. When I talk to people in person everyone agrees with me. He was actually getting yelled at by people in my section. Then I come on this board and it's make love to JDG time. Sorry but good ball control doesn't make the best player on the pitch. Can't shoot. Can't tackle. Can't beat a guy 1 on 1. Can't put 3 passes together in a row. Nothing about that says best player on the pitch. Nane was better, much better.

TFC USA
07-28-2010, 11:20 PM
JDG was not the best pitch on the player last night.

He simply wasn't. JDG had a good game but nothing to get too excited about.

Rudi
07-28-2010, 11:37 PM
It's crazy. When I talk to people in person everyone agrees with me. He was actually getting yelled at by people in my section. Then I come on this board and it's make love to JDG time. Sorry but good ball control doesn't make the best player on the pitch. Can't shoot. Can't tackle. Can't beat a guy 1 on 1. Can't put 3 passes together in a row. Nothing about that says best player on the pitch. Nane was better, much better.
Your last line says it all.

JDG was not the best pitch on the player last night.

He simply wasn't. JDG had a good game but nothing to get too excited about.
I agree. JDG was not the best pitch on the player. :facepalm::D

backbeat
07-29-2010, 12:09 AM
sorry but Nane was good in the 2nd half but came nowhere near the quality of JDG. not even close.

JDG for those who know the game was key.

he may have made some mistakes, no doubt about it, but he was pure quality on the pitch and created so much activity in the upper 1/3 besides being EVERYWHERE.

habstfc
07-29-2010, 12:17 AM
JDG was stellar last night , what you guys talking about? Dero tore it up last night, he definately came to play. I thought everyone played well, I was impressed with nane, going in I thought he was a bust, but after last night my opinion of him has changed quite a bit. Night games are much better than day games, bmo was rocking pretty good. Kudos to everyone in the southeast corner, you made it (bmo) the loudest game of the year.

Is it just me, but Motagua is crap. Their defense especially is horrid. I don't see much of a problem discarding of them provided TFC doesn't come out and lay a complete egg, and that they finish their chances next week in honduras. As long as they don't sit back tfc will get their chances and I think they will win the game.

ag futbol
07-29-2010, 07:29 AM
I thought Nane was ok, in sort of a Lassana Diarra to the extreme kind of way. You can tell he's the worst player technically on the pitch, but he can win the ball physically. Overall he's been crap. If we woke up tomorrow and he was cut I might actually get excited about signing an academy prospect.

Montagua - not surprised about how they played. They aren't even into their season yet... you can tell there is some skill on that squad though. It's not often you see anybody in MLS hold off 2 or 3 guys on the ball, but they had several players do that on multiple occasions last night.

Blowing Bubbles
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I think JDG is in a no-win situ as a DP b/c his skillset isn't suited to getting good value out of a DP in MLS.

I like the attacking role for him.

If we advance to the next round of CCL, then he should play as a defensive mid against a team like Cruz Azul or when we're playing a top team in MLS - LA/Crew/maybe RSL & NYRB too.

But against "meh" opposition he needs to be pushing, especially with Mista on the field. A "Preki team" should be able to button it up against meh sides regardless of the talent level of the back 4, simply b/c the Preki system is designed to grind results.

I think to get more value out of the guy we need to let him be more aggressive against all but the the best opposition.

mmmikey
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I think JDG is in a no-win situ as a DP b/c his skillset isn't suited to getting good value out of a DP in MLS.

I like the attacking role for him.

If we advance to the next round of CCL, then he should play as a defensive mid against a team like Cruz Azul or when we're playing a top team in MLS - LA/Crew/maybe RSL & NYRB too.

But against "meh" opposition he needs to be pushing, especially with Mista on the field. A "Preki team" should be able to button it up against meh sides regardless of the talent level of the back 4, simply b/c the Preki system is designed to grind results.

I think to get more value out of the guy we need to let him be more aggressive against all but the the best opposition.

I would even play him in a more offensive role against MLS teams. I just don't think he is effective enough at breaking up play in MLS games.. We need someone more physical to play that role.. someone who can go shoulder to shoulder or will go to ground a little more. Top MLS teams still aren't that great technically.. MLS is very physical in its approach to the game. I haven't seen many mexican teams play, but if they are indeed La Liga like in their emphasis on space and technique over physical play than I agree, JDG will do well defensively against that style of opposition.

Sage
07-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey RPB!... just passing by to leave some friendly chatter!

Good Game against motagua! Seems TFC is ready for the CCL after last year's experience. Galaxy learned the lesson hard on Tues...

I hope TFC and Islander meet aain sometime in the tournament... it be fun to play against TFC once more...

:drinking:

Also Hi to the TFC fans that made the trip to Bayamon last year especially to the guy who gave me a TFC scarf...! I still have it and it's being taken care of as a very special gift.

iansmcl
07-29-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty surprised at all the praise Nane is getting in here... Me and a few of the guys around me were not happy with the way he was playing. Especially in the first half. He looked better in the second half but I wouldn't mind him not playing again soon. Get him some work in training or loan him for a month or two but not with the senior team.

His first touch was awful and he didn't seem to have any idea what to do when got the ball.

Also, why are we expecting De Guzman to score? I didn't expect him to do well on any of those shot attempts, and no for any cynical reason but because that's not what he's here for.

EDIT: Garcia looked pretty good last night. Had a lot of touches on the ball with DeGuzman in the corner and the worked well together to make some space and try to cross it. I think it was him, however, that was getting skinned a lot by #7, who got just about every cross sent into Frei's box. Didn't get AS many crosses in the second half though, I think Preki fixed the issue at the half.

rocker
07-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty surprised at all the praise Nane is getting in here... Me and a few of the guys around me were not happy with the way he was playing. Especially in the first half. He looked better in the second half but I wouldn't mind him not playing again soon. Get him some work in training or loan him for a month or two but not with the senior team.

His first touch was awful and he didn't seem to have any idea what to do when got the ball. .

ya that was my impression... first half he was crappy because of the first touch, as you say, and he can't decide what to do quick enough. Second half he was definitely better, but I think some people are maybe choosing to remember only his little foot trick in the second half (that made the crowd go "ohhhh!").

It was a mixed bag performance, in my opinion. Which is what I remember from his few previous games played... in NE he started off great and then fell apart, including giving up a goal.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-29-2010, 09:49 PM

His first touch was awful and he didn't seem to have any idea what to do when got the ball.

Also, why are we expecting De Guzman to score? I didn't expect him to do well on any of those shot attempts, and no for any cynical reason but because that's not what he's here for.

EDIT: Garcia looked pretty good last night. Had a lot of touches on the ball with DeGuzman in the corner and the worked well together to make some space and try to cross it. I think it was him, however, that was getting skinned a lot by #7, who got just about every cross sent into Frei's box. Didn't get AS many crosses in the second half though, I think Preki fixed the issue at the half.

pretty much agree with everything here

Shakes McQueen
07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Agreed 100%.

- Scott

mmmikey
07-30-2010, 09:06 AM

agreed. his 2nd half performance showed a lot of promise tho. it gives hope for the future.

bgnewf
07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
agreed. his 2nd half performance showed a lot of promise tho. it gives hope for the future.

And Ali Gerba scored on his debut for Toronto FC against Columbus.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. :wink5:

Pachuco
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM

As for the Nane thing, goes to show you how people watching the same game can have a totally different opinion. The guys sitting around me were praising Nane along with me.

As for the Julian not expected to score thing. I don't buy this argument and never will. If I did, then I would expect Julian to stop when he's on a breakaway and give the ball to the goalie so he can get back into this myth of a position that we call DM which impedes Julian from putting the ball in the net. I really don't care where you play, if you get into a scoring position you are expected to score. You can't tell me Julian is so freeking one dimensional that he is expected to miss every breakaway he's had with TFC. Or that he's expected to miss anytime he has a chance to score. Here is a stat for you, Robbo scored some memorable goals as a DM and in my mind he is 100 times better at tackling 1 on 1. Julian may be a better ball distributor, but he's terrible at tackling so aside from breaking up plays well and good ball distribution I'm not sure what makes JDG a good DM. Anyways I'm pretty sure in Preki's mind he's a CM and he expects him to push up on the attack and pull back when we are defending.

If Nana goes up for a corner and he misses an open net on a header you telling me you'll say "well he's a defender so he can miss all he wants". If that was the case no coach would every risk moving up a defender on a corner kick.

mmmikey
07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
And Ali Gerba scored on his debut for Toronto FC against Columbus.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. :wink5:

uh. hope is not getting ahead of yourself. im not declaring him our mvp next season. it just means that he may indeed turn into a valuable player. it means maybe one day i wont see sanyang and saric destroying any offensive play we attempt.

gerba... blah. i think its unfair to nane to compare gerba situation to him.

rocker
07-30-2010, 10:17 AM
The guys sitting around me were praising Nane along with me.

in the first or second half?

mmmikey
07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
As for the Nane thing, goes to show you how people watching the same game can have a totally different opinion. The guys sitting around me were praising Nane along with me.

As for the Julian not expected to score thing. I don't buy this argument and never will. If I did, then I would expect Julian to stop when he's on a breakaway and give the ball to the goalie so he can get back into this myth of a position that we call DM which impedes Julian from putting the ball in the net. I really don't care where you play, if you get into a scoring position you are expected to score. You can't tell me Julian is so freeking one dimensional that he is expected to miss every breakaway he's had with TFC. Or that he's expected to miss anytime he has a chance to score. Here is a stat for you, Robbo scored some memorable goals as a DM and in my mind he is 100 times better at tackling 1 on 1. Julian may be a better ball distributor, but he's terrible at tackling so aside from breaking up plays well and good ball distribution I'm not sure what makes JDG a good DM. Anyways I'm pretty sure in Preki's mind he's a CM and he expects him to push up on the attack and pull back when we are defending.

If Nana goes up for a corner and he misses an open net on a header you telling me you'll say "well he's a defender so he can miss all he wants". If that was the case no coach would every risk moving up a defender on a corner kick.

nane: most ppl are saying he had a good 2nd half. the problem is his 1st half was poor.. so which do u believe is the real nane? i hope the 2nd half. but u can't praise him unconditionally while also conditionally criticizing other players performances.. like JDG. speaking of which! (see how i shifted subjects?! ;)

JDG: your right, he has to bury some of those chances. ive seen his shooting be much better in other games.. he seems to scuff too many chances just wide. your right on one count.. preki is seeing him as a CM, and i think thats a much better role for him. i agree with you that DM is NOT his ideal position. he was seen as a DM when he came into the league since thats the role he played so well in La Liga, however the difference in playing styles have been severely underlined. a DM in la liga will get nowhere here.. however i will contend a DM in La Liga will be a very good CM in MLS.

you have been pretty outspoken against JDG for a while, but you have to admit he does good work as a CM when given a chance to move forward and is much more effective than when he sits in front of the back 4. his influence on the game increases and we seemed to be able to sustain some offensive pressure instead of constantly absorbing pressure and hitting on the counter.. i would like to see him played there more consistently from here on out and i would like to think he will find his shooting boots again as a result.

what i think most ppl are saying is that they don't expect him to score EVERY time.. but i think your right to say he should score SOME of the time.

Pachuco
07-30-2010, 12:36 PM
nane: most ppl are saying he had a good 2nd half. the problem is his 1st half was poor.. so which do u believe is the real nane? i hope the 2nd half. but u can't praise him unconditionally while also conditionally criticizing other players performances.. like JDG. speaking of which! (see how i shifted subjects?! ;)

JDG: your right, he has to bury some of those chances. ive seen his shooting be much better in other games.. he seems to scuff too many chances just wide. your right on one count.. preki is seeing him as a CM, and i think thats a much better role for him. i agree with you that DM is NOT his ideal position. he was seen as a DM when he came into the league since thats the role he played so well in La Liga, however the difference in playing styles have been severely underlined. a DM in la liga will get nowhere here.. however i will contend a DM in La Liga will be a very good CM in MLS.

you have been pretty outspoken against JDG for a while, but you have to admit he does good work as a CM when given a chance to move forward and is much more effective than when he sits in front of the back 4. his influence on the game increases and we seemed to be able to sustain some offensive pressure instead of constantly absorbing pressure and hitting on the counter.. i would like to see him played there more consistently from here on out and i would like to think he will find his shooting boots again as a result.

what i think most ppl are saying is that they don't expect him to score EVERY time.. but i think your right to say he should score SOME of the time.

You make some really good points. And yes, I'll be the first to admit that I am hard on JDG. I guess I just hold him to a higher standard considering his reputation and the important DP label he has. I expect him to grab the team by the balls and more often then not he's too inconsistent for me, even in the same game he can be really inconsistent. He's played a full season with TFC at this point and he really should've adjusted to the point that he consistently puts in a solid display.

For me, the days of excusing him because of the lack of talent on the team, or excusing him for missing every breakaway because he's a DM are over. At this point if he really is too good for this team and he really is that one dimensional then all he's doing is holding this team back and I'd rather have an Alonzo who is just right for this league and can man the midfield both going forward and backwards.

gtaguy
08-02-2010, 08:27 AM
ON THE NEWS FRONT.

looks like Guevara is doubtful for tomorrows game. Appears to have an ankle sprain and they don't know the severity. Coach says that he's not worried becuase of the depth on his roster. They also lost a friendly 2-1 the other day. Montagua plans on using the brizilian Marcelo dos Santos Cabrita to lead the attack against TFC.

This is getting interesting

http://www.diez.hn/Inicio/Ediciones/2010/08/02/Noticias/Amado-Guevara-es-duda-ante-Toronro (original spanish version

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diez.hn%2FInicio%2FEdiciones%2F 2010%2F08%2F02%2FNoticias%2FAmado-Guevara-es-duda-ante-Toronro&sl=es&tl=en English google translated

druid
08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
We really ought to be savoring this moment.

This was a great away result. We're in the Champions League!

w00t!

druid
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm calling in sick.

PS The JDG & Nane critics should google what does Michael Carrick do and read the Guardian article.

rocker
08-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm calling in sick.

PS The JDG & Nane critics should google what does Michael Carrick do and read the Guardian article.

Michael Carrick makes bad passes all the time too?

druid
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Michael Carrick makes bad passes all the time too?

1) You ought to be celebrating.
2) We didn't buy Xavi.
3) You didn't read the article.
4) You ought to be celebrating.
5) If you can't celebrate now you ought to give up football as entertainment because it will never bring you joy.