PDA

View Full Version : Anthem tomorrow

Darlofletch
07-26-2010, 06:25 PM
So, with it being a concacaf night rather than MLS, there's no anthems being played.

Is there any kind of organised effort to make sure the anthem gets sung, or is it going to be left to chance and individuals to decide.

Seems like the anthem signing has really dropped off this year, unofficial a capello versions are often the best, so hopefully we can get it going tomorrow.:canada:

SmokedPanda
07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
maybe near the end of the game if we are winning is a good idea, it should catch on easily

Azerban
07-26-2010, 08:48 PM
p. sure we sang it before puerto rico and it was one of the best anthems ever

don't see it not being sung again

Cashcleaner
07-26-2010, 08:57 PM
All it takes is one person to start singing. You won't need any accompanying music. In fact, it will probably sound better without it. :canada:

nfitz
07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
All it takes is one person to start singing. You won't need any accompanying music. In fact, it will probably sound better without it. :canada:This always seems to be the most effective stadium-filling chant the England team have.

Probably inappropriate for most MLS games ... but given the international nature of this competition ... perhaps it would be appropriate a couple of times during the game.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
save it for the canada game...

Azerban
07-26-2010, 09:20 PM

why?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2010, 09:25 PM

disregard above post....

and getr done!

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 09:31 PM
cause Toronto FC is not the Canadian National Team.

We maybe the only Canadian Team in the Competition. But as I dont think Soccer fans across the country are or need to be as emotionally invested in TFC's success as say: Someone who lives in Toronto.

Its about CIVIC PRIDE guys.... CIVIC Pride.

"Toronto FC is not the Center of the Canadain Soccer Universe"

nfitz
07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
"Toronto FC is not the Center of the Canadian Soccer Universe"Sure it is ... on game night when we are the sole representative in Champions League.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
ok. then went me ask you a question.

Do you feel that every Montreal impact Fan should be cheering for us?

TFC John
07-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Canadian Champions represent Canada.

DichioTFC
07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Can we change "THA BUTCHA" from Registered User to Registered Loser?
:facepalm:

Oh Canada. When the boys come out. Capos, please make this happen!

nfitz
07-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Do you feel that every Montreal impact Fan should be cheering for us?Yes. I was cheering for them in 2008/2009 (though I confess when they imploded in Mexico, I was part disappointed, and part amused).

During the 1952 Olympics, would you have cheered against the gold-medal-winning Canadian ice hockey team because they were the Edmonton Mercurys?

Hitcho
07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
THA BUTHCA kind of has a point, since when I was in England for the first 30 years of my life I would never support a team like Man Utd when they were playing in Europe, even if they were the only English team left. SO no, Limp Act fans may well not be cheering for us.

But that's not the same as the anthem issue. Regardless of what anyone else in Canada may or may not think, TFC fans are supporting a CANADIAN team against a non-Canadian team. So I think the anthem is entirely appropriate for that reason alone.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 09:55 PM
well were about to argue Semantics:

the canadian champions are Toronto FC
-which play thier home games in,
-Do their Training in
-have their corperate Headquarters located in,
-Most of their Fans hail from

AND

their Current Team Captian was born in.

TORONTO.

I Think the orignal Idea of TFC was to be Toronto's Team not Canada's team.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 09:58 PM
THA BUTHCA kind of has a point, since when I was in England for the first 30 years of my life I would never support a team like Man Utd when they were playing in Europe, even if they were the only English team left. SO no, Limp Act fans may well not be cheering for us.

But that's not the same as the anthem issue. Regardless of what anyone else in Canada may or may not think, TFC fans are supporting a CANADIAN team against a non-Canadian team. So I think the anthem is entirely appropriate for that reason alone.

I know Im not gonna Change any minds here. Sing the anthum all you want.
But I still think it POOR FORM.

H Bomb
07-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I agree with butcher. In this case less than in mls games but the principal remains. We are torontos team, and they rep the city. Seeing tfc play has never made me proud to be canadian, and anthems before non national sporting events is idle chit chat. But whatevs, itll be sung, and ill probably join in, as I do when almost any song I know the words for is being sung:)

James Oliphant
07-26-2010, 10:04 PM

Toronto

-Do their Training in
Oakville

Toronto

The 905 area.

AND

Scarborough, pre-amalgamation.

H Bomb
07-26-2010, 10:04 PM

-Do their Training in

AND

Toronto,oakville,toronto, kitchener it seems, and scarborough.;) sorry dude, Gotta vet your own stuff here, cant get anything through.

Fixed.

TFC John
07-26-2010, 10:05 PM
When they won the Canadian Championship this year they became Canada's Team. This is not a Toronto spot in CONCACAF. It is the one and only Canadian spot in CONCACAF. Man Utd often plays in one of 4 UK spots in Europe. This is not the same thing. Only one team can represent Canada and this year it is Toronto. When Montreal represented Canada they were Canada's team (and yes, I supported them over the other teams in the competition). Singing Oh Canada as a support song is completely appropriate. However I would be embarrassed to hear it started every 10 minutes by some random guy just because he doesn't know any other song.

James Oliphant
07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Fixed.

Beat ya! :)

Hitcho
07-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I know Im not gonna Change any minds here. Sing the anthum all you want.
But I still think it POOR FORM.

There's a disconnect in your reasoning though. I get the whole "we're cheering for TFC not the CMNT" point, but

Toronto is in
Most TFC fans are from
And live in
Many of TFC's players are from and live in
And TFC is representing in the CCL

CANADA

It's not like singing the Canadian anthem is anti-TFC in any way or by being patriotic it's suggestive of not cheering for TFC at the same time.

And I think that's the point - one can be synonymous with the other since Canada includes Toronto and TFC, rather than excludes it/them.

phonzo
07-26-2010, 10:12 PM
jesus fuck what happened to these boards..people debating singing the anthem...why not just sing it as a proud Canadian?

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Toronto

Oakville

Toronto

The 905 area.

Guys Stop Fuckin around You know What Im talking about.

I just realized that this attitude about TFC being Canada's Team is the same reason why Most Canadians Hate Torontonians. We really do think we're the only part of Canada the Matters.

its terrible:picard:

phonzo
07-26-2010, 10:16 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/funny-pictures-kittens-are-angry.jpg

Pookie
07-26-2010, 10:16 PM
jesus fuck what happened to these boards..people debating singing the anthem...why not just sing it as a proud Canadian?

^ amen

The ONLY question that matters in this thread is:

What is our cue to start singing?

Nodoubtguy
07-26-2010, 10:18 PM
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS???

WHO CARES ABOUT THE FUCKING IMPACT TOMORROW??

Sing the anthem because WE represent Canada tomorrow!!! Sing the anthem because you are proud of our country!!!

phonzo
07-26-2010, 10:19 PM
my guess is most will follow the TFC e-mail recommendation and do it immediately after the playing of the FIFA anthem.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 10:32 PM
One Last point:

when you look at Club Football around the World. The anthems for the clubs home nations are NEVER SUNG. weather it be Domestic or international Club Competitions.

FIFA doesnt consider it part of their pre-game Protocals.

So if you want to sing the anthem because you feel the need to convey your strong sense of Patriotism. Thats Fine, I consider Myself a Proud Canadian aswell.

But due to the Fact the Traditionally this not done in other Nations and other supporters groups Worldwide in this Situation. So the only Logical conclution is that sing the anthem in this situation is

POOR FORM!
http://www.nerdles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/spock.jpghttp://www.tvacres.com/images/greeting_spock.jpg
http://www.nerdles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/spock.jpg

nfitz
07-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I just realized that this attitude about TFC being Canada's Team is the same reason why Most Canadians Hate Torontonians. We really do think we're the only part of Canada the Matters.

What, we are not supposed to be patriotic in case it offends those outside of the GTA? Do we really need to be that politically correct?

Perhaps we should not singi the anthem at the start of the game in case Jean Tremblay in Trois-Pistoles is offended. (I hear GOL TV Canada has a lot of viewers in Trois-Pistoles)?

We have no Toronto anthem. And I'm not sure how many would sing the Ontario anthem ... Ontari-ari-ari-o

It's a great song, and it's a rare song that the entire stadium might sing.

Should the England team stop using God Save the Queen - after all, it's the anthem of the United Kingdom, including Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. Should they stop singing Rule, Britannia - which was written by a Scot and also applies to Wales and Scotland - yet English, Scottish, and even Northern Irish club teams also sing it.

ren989
07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
But traditionally anthems are sung in Canada....where we are.

nfitz
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
One Last point:

when you look at Club Football around the World. The anthems for the clubs home nations are NEVER SUNG. weather it be Domestic or international Club Competitions.Wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q_tXP35lDM

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
But traditionally anthems are sung in Canada....where we are.

This is True. Only Because all North American Sports League Mandate it in their Pregame Protocals.

COCACAF Does not.

TFCtoMUFC
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Can we sing the anthem because we are Canadian and love our country?

We don't need some BS argument about "representing Canada" or being "Canada's team". I will sing the anthem because I am a proud Canadian.

Flipityflu
07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
it takes a rare bread to label the singing of a National Anthem as 'poor form'.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q_tXP35lDM

Nice.

But Thats a Domestic Cup Competition Which Played the anthem because the organizers made it part of their Pre game Protocal.

I repeat

Cacacaf (international Competition) Does Not have this protocal

nfitz
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Nice.

But Thats a Domestic Cup Competition Which Played the anthem because the organizers made it part of their Pre game Protocal.

I repeat

Cacacaf (international Competition) Does Not have this protocalNo ... what you said was "when you look at Club Football around the World. The anthems for the clubs home nations are NEVER SUNG. weather it be Domestic or international Club Competitions."

You were 100% wrong on that one. 100%.

How were you not wrong on that one?

It's our stadium, we sang last year. If your not patriotic, then that's your choice ... go ahead and burn the flag. It's your right for living in a free and democratic society.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Why not belt out OOO WHEN THE REDS (slow version) instead I always considered that TFC anthum.

its very powerful when sung in sync with many voices.

Dunkers
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
I repeat

Cacacaf (international Competition) Does Not have this protocal

Because up until now TFC and the fans have always followed protocal...

Fort York Redcoat
07-26-2010, 10:53 PM
So is it what the rest of the world thinks of my club team representing my country for the second time that I should scared about or what the rest of the country, my country, thinks about me celebrating my club earning the right to represent the country. My country. If it were poor form shouldn't you start with the league playing the anthem every week?

And while you're telling us about protocol- WTF is cacacaf?

Whoop
07-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Holy crap no need to kill the guy.

I for one believe that the playing of national anthems - unless it's an international event - is overdone. It's not about patriotism. If it was people wouldn't talk during the anthem... but that's another story.

HOWEVER, it is a tradition that has been created in North America and something that was done last year. And I for one have no problem with that tradition, whether it's CONCACAF protocol or not.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 10:58 PM
It's our stadium, we sang last year. If your not patriotic, then that's your choice ... go ahead and burn the flag. It's your right for living in a free and democratic society.

LOL.

You Bring your National Pride to the game.
Ill bring my Civic pride.

Its all for a good cause.

Nice arguing with you.

Good night.

PS.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/dramatic_reverb/family-guy-i-disagree-1.jpg

nfitz
07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Ill bring my Civic pride.Personally, I'll be leaving my Civic in the driveway, and taking transit.

Yagbod
07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
It is our fucking national anthem. We should sing it as often as we like.

'I'm sorry, tradition says that you should not have fun, in this instance specifically.' - Gimmie a break, what an argument.

Back to the point, what is the sign to start? Let's make it good. Somebody make a decision. It only takes one or two in each section to get the others in time.

nfitz
07-26-2010, 11:11 PM
According to the e-mail today from TFC "It would be great to hear O Canada ringing around BMO Field as soon as the FIFA anthem has finished."

So that's the cue ... end of the FIFA anthem.

THA BUTCHA
07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
One more thing: I promise

We've been really off when singing the national anthem lately @ BMO field and thats with the music on.

I Have a feeling we are gonna "Butcher" ;) O Canada
Remember the music wont be Playing.

OK Im really going bed'

Forza TFC

TFC Via Buffalo
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I'll fill in for any Canadian not singing it. :canada:

I get the idea of this being Toronto and not Canada, but the team is representing Canada as a whole. Even if I don't cheer for the Crew or Revs EVER for anything MLS, if they are playing a team outside of MLS, I do cheer for them a bit for the good of the league, yet in the long run still love to hate them. This is kind of the same idea. We are representing Canada against the rest of CONCACAF. Singing the anthem is just a little extra to show our pride as Canadians or adoptive Canadian. :)

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not a fan of nationalism as a part of club sports. It cheapens actual patriotism and brings a potentially divisive political dimension to an occasion that need not have one.

But I always sing the anthem, 'cuz more than anything, I go to TFC games to sing. And I'm all for starting the night with a song that gets everybody singing.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-26-2010, 11:33 PM
BTW, are you Kenny Blankenship in disguise?

Brooker
07-26-2010, 11:42 PM

-Do their Training in

AND

CANADA

FYP.

hamiltonfan
07-27-2010, 12:52 AM
The anthem should be sung as the players get set to kickoff, just as the ref whistles in the game perhaps. we must have a set time so everyone in on key:canada::scarf::canada::scarf::canada::scarf::f lare::flare:

H Bomb
07-27-2010, 12:57 AM
The only thing that confuses me about this thread is why so many people consider singing the anthem to mean patriotism. Too many years as neighbors to the states maybe. Its a song peoples, and singing it only means you can remember words good. Its fine, harmless, and even pleasant. But its mostly just a song before a football match. Lets all not forget how irrelevant this really is, on both sides.

Bluenose13
07-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Nothing better that singing the anthem......Doing it without any backround music even better.......Get r done

aboyandhisdog
07-27-2010, 01:40 AM
It'll be a real treat to attend a sporting match and not have to listen to national anthems. What an outdated tradition! An anthem really has nothing to do with professional sports; especially an anthem as misrepresentative of a nation as ours.

Disagree? Review the lyrics line by line.

TFC John
07-27-2010, 05:08 AM
To those of us who have stood on guard for our home and native land to keep it glorious and free this is much more than "just a song" (sorry H Bomb you're wrong). I appreciate and welcome the people who have come to this country as immigrants. It isn't an easy thing to do. However, I was born here and I feel immense pride in my country (one might even describe it as a glowing heart). If you don't feel that the ideals expressed in our National Anthem reflect your aspirations (if not your actual story), then why did you come? If you are unwilling to stand on guard for Canada why not find a place that is worth standing on guard for?

Welcome to Canada. You can do pretty much anything you like as long as you recognize what a great place this is and are willing to keep it that way. Check the lyrics line by line and you will find out what the rest of us expect of you. If you can't live up to those expectations no one will force you to stay. This may not be your native land but you can make it so for your children and their children. All you have to do is show some true patriot love. That starts by singing our anthem (loud and off key - if you're like me).

Sorry about the rant.

Redpunkfiddle
07-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Come on now, let's not associate thinking that a sports game is a silly place to pound out national anthems with a lack of belief in the country.

In terms of nuts and bolts, last year I was afraid the whole thing would be a mess but it went off well n terms of timing and cohesion. 112 just needs to lead.

denime
07-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Who cares,if you want to sing do it,if not, than don't.
Singing anthem doesn't make you more Canadian or patriotic,what you do every day or when this country needs you does.

Singing national anthem before every game is a leftover from USA cold war brainwashing era ,and that is the only reason why only in North America anthems are being sung before every game,does it makes sense?It does if you are born in North America.

Not only FIFA but every other world sport associations have in their protocols that National Anthems should be played only when National Teams are playing,makes sense?It does if you are born outside of North America.

Who is right?
No one,it's the way it is,no need to brake balls to each other or call each other out because of this.

Hitcho
07-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Yikes, this is getting feisty! :hide:

v00d00daddy
07-27-2010, 06:51 AM
I see this thread getting closed real soon.

You got people referring to people from Quebec as frogs (yes, it's in a post that everybody seems to gloss over and it's in poor fucking taste if you ask me)

You got people questioning other peoples "patriotism"

You've got the age old Club v. Country debate.

And all over singing an anthem or not.

Many have said it but I think it deserves to be said again.

Sing if you want to. Don't if you don't want to.

Just stop fucking judging people. WTF

Toronto Gunner
07-27-2010, 06:57 AM
...and end scene.

Petor
07-27-2010, 07:07 AM
^ amen

The ONLY question that matters in this thread is:

What is our cue to start singing?

I was at the Puerto Rico game last year.
There was a lot of anger on the message boards before the match because TFC announced that due to Champions League policy there would be no anthems before the start of the match.
Everyone on the boards came to a decision to sing it alone(without music) right after the FIFA anthem.
What did TFC do?
Right after the FIFA anthem they just played the first couple of notes to O Canada then off we went and it never sounded so good.
There were no PA anouncements or anything until we were done.
I wonder if we can pull it off again this year?
:flare::scarf::canada::flare:

Cashcleaner
07-27-2010, 07:19 AM
THA BUTCHER is arguing about protocols and traditions with regards to the singing of anthems, and I totally understand where he's coming from.

However,

All traditions have a time where they did not exist and a point at which they start. While singing O Canada at the start or end of EVERY Toronto FC game (league matches, friendlies, and CONCACAF, etc.) may not be according to protocol, it could very well be the start of a new tradition.

I say sing.

Red Patch CA
07-27-2010, 07:31 AM
This KW supporter's family chose Canada to live in and will sing O Canada at every opportunity. Sorry, but some of these comments make my blood boil.

I'll be singing from my perch in 109 and want to hear it sung loud and proud!

Kaz
07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I realize this is a little late to the party, but I watched every televised game of the CONCACAF CL when the Impact played, they were the Canadian team and I will always support a Canadian Team in a competition where only one Canadian team can go. I was sad, disappointed and annoyed with the way they went out.

and the 55000 in the Olympic stadium watching the game says that I'm not the only one that supported them from a patriotic stand point.

I think fewer people will support TFC because they are from Toronto maybe a little anthem would help wake the rest of the country up to the fact that Toronto isn't the seat of evil in Canada. (As much as I dislike the GTA as a place)

Parkdale
07-27-2010, 07:46 AM
You got people referring to people from Quebec as frogs (yes, it's in a post that everybody seems to gloss over and it's in poor fucking taste if you ask me)

edit was done, PM was sent.

Parkdale
07-27-2010, 07:57 AM
BTW, are you Kenny Blankenship in disguise?

haha.... however... THA BUTCHA has been around for ages and is known to some of us.
In fact, he's a good dude who's just taking the opposing side in an internet debate.
No biggie.... Kenny however, is a full on troll, and is banned.

MartinUtd
07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
I probably won't sing the anthem because true to form, no matter how hard I try I'll still be 2 minutes late.

deltox
07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
and i will vouch for THA BUTCHA as a very proud Canadian fan.

he is always pushing people toward the CANADA games at BMO and is one of the driving forces in mid 110.

Heart of Stone
07-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Whatever happens don't boo the people from Honduras if they try to sing their anthem too... the MLS all-star game a few years back with people singing O'Canada on top of the music for the American national anthem was an absolute disgrace..

koryo
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Some of the posts in here are just embarrassing.

Have we hit the "if you don't sing the anthem tonight then you hate Canada" line of, ahem, "reasoning" that tends to arise in these sorts of threads?

Nodoubtguy
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Some of the posts in here are just embarrassing.

Have we hit the "if you don't sing the anthem tonight then you hate Canada" line of, ahem, "reasoning" that tends to arise in these sorts of threads?

http://www.cslacker.com/images/file/mediums/the_terrorists_win.jpg

KdotOdot
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Who cares,if you want to sing do it,if not, than don't.
Singing anthem doesn't make you more Canadian or patriotic,what you do every day or when this country needs you does.

Singing national anthem before every game is a leftover from USA cold war brainwashing era ,and that is the only reason why only in North America anthems are being sung before every game,does it makes sense?It does if you are born in North America.

Not only FIFA but every other world sport associations have in their protocols that National Anthems should be played only when National Teams are playing,makes sense?It does if you are born outside of North America.

Who is right?
No one,it's the way it is,no need to brake balls to each other or call each other out because of this.

QFT.

Seriously. You're full grown men. Get a fucking grip. John TFC sounded like the Canuck Rush Libough.

T_Mizz
07-27-2010, 08:19 AM
You bastards are un-Canadian, if you don't like Canda then you can geeeet ou
nT0OqHr3wHQ

Parkdale
07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
okay, this thread is descending into comedy.

to paraphrase some musician I heard in an interview once:

"Some people are into mellow music, and some people are into exciting music. If you're into mellow music, don't try to push it on to people who like exciting music, because they aren't going to like it no matter how good it is. And if you like loud, fast, heavy music, don't try to play it for people who like their music to be chill - they won't like it. You have to respect that other people will like other things, and you aren't changing anybody's mind."

sing if you want, don't sing if you want.
BUT if you are singing, try to get in time with everyone else who is singing it.

Huyton
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
I loved hearing O Canada last year at the Puerto Rico game...it sounded amazing. Brought the hairs on the back of my neck to attention, too.

Now, when I go to other sporting events and people don't sing, or don't remove their hats, I wonder what's wrong with them.

It's a great way to warm up the throat for the game and gets me prepared to sing for my team.

And yes, I belt out O Canada at Milltown FC games, as well - with scarf held high.

Pachuco
07-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Whatever happens don't boo the people from Honduras if they try to sing their anthem too... the MLS all-star game a few years back with people singing O'Canada on top of the music for the American national anthem was an absolute disgrace..

You are taking that out of context. Nobody was booing the american national anthem. They were booing the fact that they seemed to have left out the Canadian anthem. I would never boo someone's national anthem. But I was booing that day.

THA BUTCHA
07-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Ok guys you win. I will help with singing the anthem.

It's nice to hear different opinions on this forum
It would a very boring place if everyone agreed about everything.

Prediction for tonite: 2-1 tfc

tfcleeds
07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
If you want to sing the anthem, sing it loud and proud. If you don't want to, that's fine as well.

What I don't get is people who are concerned about what people in Montreal or Vancouver might think. Who cares? Fuck them! It could have been them hosting this match, but they didn't win the Canadian Championship, so cry me a bloody river for them.

DichioTFC
07-27-2010, 09:29 AM
^ Glad to see THA BUTCHA will be singing the anthem.

Honestly guys, sing it or not, the choice is yours. But to say that others should / shouldn't sing is allowing the debate to reach a level where it shouldn't be.

Just to recap: Players come out, FIFA Anthem played, singing of Canadian National Anthem commences aCapella.
:canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::c anada::canada::canada:

TFC Via Buffalo
07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
You are taking that out of context. Nobody was booing the american national anthem. They were booing the fact that they seemed to have left out the Canadian anthem. I would never boo someone's national anthem. But I was booing that day.

Ha. I remember that. When it started happening, I was ready to kill anyone booing! After the game and coming on here, I realized that it really was booing the fact the Canadian anthem wasn't being played. So, no hard feelings. :) Can't wait for tonight.

Pookie
07-27-2010, 09:32 AM
This whole debate seems silly. A "Nation" means a group of people with common history, traditions and culture. The Canadian flag defines our "nation" and the anthem is a way to show we are united.

Until we come up with an anthem for TFC (and not T-F-C clap clap clap), this is as good as it gets.

For those on the club-country debate, our team competes in a league in which teams wear a national flag on their kits to reflect the home country in which they play. Should we rip that flag off our replica jerseys too?

Sing it or don't, your choice but don't mock those that choose to let their pride shine.

TorCanSoc
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM

Do you feel that every Montreal impact Fan should be cheering for us?

Yes. I cheered Montreal in their fantastic run in the CONCACAF CL.

Huyton
07-27-2010, 09:51 AM
The more successful Canadian teams are in the CCL, then the closer we'll get to having a confirmed spot in the group stages without having to go through the preliminary round.

This will be good no matter who represents Canada. So, yes...if Vancouver gets through next year, I'll cheer for them. Not that they're likely to hear me, but I'll be watching on TV.

H Bomb
07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
I dont think the argument here was ever suppose to be sing or dont sing. And definitely dont think anyone plannned on sitting silent with their arms crossed while it played. Just that playing anthems before a local match doesnt make too much sense to some of us, as we dont feel our club is a representation of a nation at all(this includes mls games) personally im not overly bothered with anthems at all, or flags, or national flowers. These things dont alter the extreme love I have for my country. Theres no song on earth that could do that.
This seems like as good a place as any...paul, get the announcer dude to stop telling people to raise our scarves up high before the anthem on game days...we know this!

phonzo
07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/funny-pictures-cat-likes-how-canada-tastes.jpg

nfitz
07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
You got people referring to people from Quebec as frogs (yes, it's in a post that everybody seems to gloss over and it's in poor fucking taste if you ask me)My apologies ... no offence meant ... it's a real French surname BTW ... though in France not in Quebec ...

Alonso
07-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Toronto

Oakville

Toronto

The 905 area.

HaHa! You would!

Alonso
07-28-2010, 05:54 AM

We've been really off when singing the national anthem lately @ BMO field and thats with the music on.

OK Im really going bed'

Forza TFC

You would love to see us fail that much that you would hope that we sang it poorly?

Alonso
07-28-2010, 05:56 AM

OK Im really going bed'

Forza TFC

Truth is... it was one of our best National Anthems that we have sung at BMO.

Alonso
07-28-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm not a fan of nationalism as a part of club sports. It cheapens actual patriotism and brings a potentially divisive political dimension to an occasion that need not have one.

But I always sing the anthem, 'cuz more than anything, I go to TFC games to sing. And I'm all for starting the night with a song that gets everybody singing.

This is exactly what happened... Normally in Sec. 107 no one sings, but with the anthem the whole section got going. Next thing you know the parts of the section are signing for parts of the match! ..... It's a start right?!?

sampace
07-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Great singing everybody! Don't understand why they don't do anthems, I understand this is a club competition and not an international but seems pretty silly.

flatpicker
07-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Great singing everybody! Don't understand why they don't do anthems, I understand this is a club competition and not an international but seems pretty silly.

There are a lot of places that would say North America is silly for having anthems before club matches.

Hustle
07-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Best Anthem in a long time.

Parkdale
07-28-2010, 08:31 AM
yep, I think that getting everyone to sing the anthem (without accompanying music) really helped set the tone for the whole night.

DichioTFC
07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't Edmonton during the NHL playoffs, but I definitely enjoyed it.

It was hilarious seeing unaware people hear the anthem, look around, and slowly take their caps off and sing themselves.

Huyton
07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
It was great...even the hair on the back of my neck stood to attention!

It's a great way to warm up the throat for what's about to come!

flatpicker
07-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't Edmonton during the NHL playoffs, but I definitely enjoyed it.

It was hilarious seeing unaware people hear the anthem, look around, and slowly take their caps off and sing themselves.

Kind of unfair to compare last night to the Oilers fans singing within a hockey arena during a playoff game.