PDA

View Full Version : KC Wizards against ManU

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.atdhe.net/21538/watch-kansas-city-wizards-vs-manchester-united

2-1 KC right now. KC scored with 10 men at the end of the half to take the lead.

I don't know about you guys but the MLS is showing that they are not light years below any other league in the world. They aren't there yet, but they aren't light years behind.

I don't care for the typical excuses that people usually turn to in this circumstance, for example, "this is a b team", "they ate too many burgers during the offseason and have come here to work them off, "they purposely come here and run slower since they don't give a fuck". Anyways, you get my point, KC should NEVER scored on ManU, let alone 2 goals and with 10 men on the field.

I really think the MLS is showing that they are no longer light years below other leagues in the world. Times are changing and it's exciting to be a part of it.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Well said Pachuco. I'm of the mind that people's bias for foreign leagues are based on how much longer they've been around and their structure.

But that says nothing to the fact of, at a playing level, MLS teams are competitive.

Raging Reggie
07-25-2010, 06:20 PM
http://www.atdhe.net/21538/watch-kansas-city-wizards-vs-manchester-united

2-1 KC right now. KC scored with 10 men at the end of the half to take the lead.

I don't know about you guys but the MLS is showing that they are not light years below any other league in the world. They aren't there yet, but they aren't light years behind.

I don't care for the typical excuses that people usually turn to in this circumstance, for example, "this is a b team", "they ate too many burgers during the offseason and have come here to work them off, "they purposely come here and run slower since they don't give a fuck". Anyways, you get my point, KC should NEVER scored on ManU, let alone 2 goals and with 10 men on the field.

I really think the MLS is showing that they are no longer light years below other leagues in the world. Times are changing and it's exciting to be a part of it.

I agree, same thing goes with Man City losing to NYRB this afternoon as well. You would think MLS teams shouldnt be beating b squad EPL teams regardless if its pre season and they "dont give a fuck"

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree, same thing goes with Man City losing to NYRB this afternoon as well. You would think MLS teams shouldnt be beating b squad EPL teams regardless if its pre season and they "dont give a fuck"

And how about Bolton tying a Toronto FC C team? Heck that wasn't even a C team. It's our Academy players with a bunch of trialists mashed together. Players who hadn't even played together before that game.

The Union also beat the Celtic, and from everyting I've read, they played well against ManU although lost 1-0. Let me repeat that, THE UNION. An expansion team in the MLS currently in third last in the league.

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 07:03 PM
And there you have it. KC hangs on with 10 men (for about 65mins) to win the game. Good showing by MLS on this tour so far.

brad
07-25-2010, 07:04 PM
MLS is definitely improving, but I wouldn't read anything into pre-season results.

These teams (not just EPL, but La Liga and Serie A as well) routinely lose to teams from lower divisions in pre-season.

They also lose in cup competitions as well. Its not all that uncommon.

James17930
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
^ True, but it's still nice to know that a B or C EPL squad cannot just run over and MLS team (especially when it's a B or C MLS squad too).

I don't care that there's a gap between the leagues at full strength, but it's nice to think that that gap maybe isn't as wide as many people would say.

Although RBNY have had 5 freindlies this season -- that's a little ridiculous.

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Sorry but it's like the Lions beating the Colts in pre-season. In a first team vs. first team game these sides would get trucked.

The MLS should focus on beating Central American sides in the Champions League instead of getting these "morale boosting" victories against big European sides.

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Bullshit those are justifiable reasons. How does it show MLS' quality when they're in the middle of a season compared to a team that is in pre-season mode and playing a lot of fringe members? Man Utd played their 3rd GK in 3 games and had motherfucking Ritchie De Laet starting. The point for the bigger teams (since it's mostly Europe but on occasion South American teams play us) is to see how the youngsters play and hope the old fucks can still run without falling apart like a ton of bricks.

I do not look at friendlies as a way to see how far we are from the rest of the world, I look at real competitions. Sure MLS is getting a lot better, but the CONCACAF Champions League results are so discouraging.

TFCUNITED
07-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Sorry but it's like the Lions beating the Colts in pre-season. In a first team vs. first team game these sides would get trucked.

The MLS should focus on beating Central American sides in the Champions League instead of getting these "morale boosting" victories against big European sides.

100% agree. It's nice to get these wins and draws but we need to focus on being dominate in our backyard.

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 09:19 PM

Lions beating the Colts? so are you saying KC is in the EPL? :facepalm:

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Lions beating the Colts? so are you saying KC is in the EPL? :facepalm:

Okay....

This is like the London Sillynannies beating the New England Patriots.

DichioTFC
07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I really wish the EPL tours to N.America would take the kind of excitement and enthusiasm of the 1970s Summit Series with USSR coming to the NHL.

Until some kind of drama can be hyped up, I won't be following. I didn't know that ManU, Bolton and Celtic were even here or that it mattered to anyone.

DichioTFC
07-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Okay....

http://images.free-extras.com/pics/p/peter_griffin_football-1109.jpg

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Bullshit those are justifiable reasons. How does it show MLS' quality when they're in the middle of a season compared to a team that is in pre-season mode and playing a lot of fringe members? Man Utd played their 3rd GK in 3 games and had motherfucking Ritchie De Laet starting. The point for the bigger teams (since it's mostly Europe but on occasion South American teams play us) is to see how the youngsters play and hope the old fucks can still run without falling apart like a ton of bricks.

I do not look at friendlies as a way to see how far we are from the rest of the world, I look at real competitions. Sure MLS is getting a lot better, but the CONCACAF Champions League results are so discouraging.

Fringe members? I only watch ManU in the EPL and in the Champions League. That's the only time I see them play, and the starting lineup was extremely recognizable to me. Fringe players my ass. Most of those players get starts in the EPL here and there. It may have been a B team, but ManU's B team plays a heck of alot of games with the schedule they have. And since you are singling out the goalie, I'll single out Nani and Berbatov. Nevermind Scholes and Giggs cause you'll call them old farts.

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Fringe members? I only watch ManU in the EPL and in the Champions League. That's the only time I see them play, and the starting lineup was extremely recognizable to me. Fringe players my ass. Most of those players get starts in the EPL here and there. It may have been a B team, but ManU's B team plays a heck of alot of games with the schedule they have. And since you are singling out the goalie, I'll single out Nani and Berbatov. Nevermind Scholes and Giggs cause you'll call them old farts.

You gotta be shitting me. Ritchie De Laet, Amos, Smalling, Obertan, Gibson (who hardly starts), Cleverley, and Diouf are regular starters?

Look, there's a reason why it's called preseason. You test lineups, see how players work with others, see how some (not all) starters perform, and at the same time pull some foreign pussy. Why put in full effort if it means fuck all to your record?

Carrick, Park, Vidic, Rooney, Hernandez, and Van Der Sar are just a few I can name who weren't playing today and regularly play in the EPL (at least Hernandez will soon).

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Okay....

If this was a one off then I would believe you that MLS is at the level of the London Syllynannies. But since it isn't, I'm gonna say it's more like the New England Patriots losing to the Florida Gators while NE is in preseason and Florida is in mid-season.

And that to me is actually not to shabi.

I'm going to guess you are American, I think you should believe a little more in the league your country created.

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
If this was a one off then I would believe you that MLS is at the level of the London Syllynannies. But since it isn't, I'm gonna say it's more like the New England Patriots losing to the Florida Gators while NE is in preseason and Florida is in mid-season.

And that to me is actually not to shabi.

I'm going to guess you are American, I think you should believe a little more in the league your country created.

No, I just used a comedic example because you turned my Lions/Colts example into a strawman argument.

The Detroit Lions are one of the worst teams in football but the season they went 0-16 they went 4-0 in the preseason. When the Colts won the Super Bowl I think they went 0-4 in the preseason.

Now what I meant was Detroit has few talented players, has had a history of poor play, while Indy has the greatest player in the game today and a shitload of weapons compared to Detroit's squirt-gun.

So when the Lions beat the Colts in preseason it means absolutely jack shit because Indy is seeing how the youngsters play without injuring Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne.

Scholes and Giggs don't have many years left so that's why they're getting the playing time to see how fit they are. Sometimes you play starters who had recently been injured to test their stamina, fitness, speed, etc.

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
You gotta be shitting me. Ritchie De Laet, Amos, Smalling, Obertan, Gibson (who hardly starts), Cleverley, and Diouf are regular starters?

Look, there's a reason why it's called preseason. You test lineups, see how players work with others, see how some (not all) starters perform, and at the same time pull some foreign pussy. Why put in full effort if it means fuck all to your record?

Carrick, Park, Vidic, Rooney, Hernandez, and Van Der Sar are just a few I can name who weren't playing today and regularly play in the EPL (at least Hernandez will soon).

How about you take my words and twist them around a little more? When did I call them regular starters? I fucking called them ManU's B team for fuck sakes and went on to say that their B team gets starts here and there.

Diouf is a new addition buddy, so I love how you call him someone who isn't a starter because he hasn't played for them and then go on to call Hernandez a starter. another :facepalm:

Dirk Diggler
07-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Have to agree with TFC USA here. I think the days of teams simply obliterating others are over in most sports. You are beginning to see this in sports like hockey and basketball as well where European clubs are giving the clearly superior North American teams an extremely hard time (case in point, a Swiss club defeating the current champs Chicago Blackhawks for the Victoria Cup in the pre-season last year).

Yes, I think MLS has raised the standard of play quite significantly but really, you cannot read into these results at all. The only thing results like this prove is that finally American teams have improved to the point that they can get a positive result, in their mid-season form, against European teams that are completely unmotivated and in their pre-season form. If you are concluding anything more from these games than you are clutching at straws, really.

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Sorry about that I misunderstood.

Still, the players I mentioned are hardly day-to-day members of their top squad. The win is nice and all but it's just a friendly.

Shamrock Rovers only lost 1-0 to Real Madrid last year....should I take the Irish League a little more seriously?

These results happen all the time.

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I really wish the EPL tours to N.America would take the kind of excitement and enthusiasm of the 1970s Summit Series with USSR coming to the NHL.

That shit was legendary. These were hardly friendlies, in fact these were some fierce rivalry games.

Sort of like USA vs. Mexico "friendlies".

We don't have any rivalries with these teams or any bad blood.

Cleveland Browns vs. Aston Villa. :D:D:D

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Have to agree with TFC USA here. I think the days of teams simply obliterating others are over in most sports. You are beginning to see this in sports like hockey and basketball as well where European clubs are giving the clearly superior North American teams an extremely hard time (case in point, a Swiss club defeating the current champs Chicago Blackhawks for the Victoria Cup in the pre-season last year).

Yes, I think MLS has raised the standard of play quite significantly but really, you cannot read into these results at all. The only thing results like this prove is that finally American teams have improved to the point that they can get a positive result, in their mid-season form, against European teams that are completely unmotivated and in their pre-season form. If you are concluding anything more from these games than you are clutching at straws, really.

So you agree that they've raised their level significantly, you just disagree that I am using international friendlies as an example. But we both agree that they've raised their level big time. At the end of the day, that's really all that matters.

TFC USA - 5 years ago if you asked me whether teams in the MLS could show well against some of the best teams in the world I would've laughed. I would've laughed if you told me they could beat their academies on any given day. That's not the case anymore, really, that's all that matters to me. This league has grown in 5 years like I never imagined.

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 10:10 PM
MLS has raised its level enough to have several players move to Europe.

As far as MLS franchises and their team play it's ugly as hell to watch and they end up getting clowned by small Honduras sides.

DichioTFC
07-25-2010, 10:10 PM
That shit was legendary. These were hardly friendlies, in fact these were some fierce rivalry games.

Sort of like USA vs. Mexico "friendlies".

We don't have any rivalries with these teams or any bad blood.

Cleveland Browns vs. Aston Villa. :D:D:D

I would love to go to Azteca for a US / Mexico "friendly".. not sure I would make it out alive but the experience would be worth it!

Blizzard
07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
I would love to go to Azteca for a US / Mexico "friendly".. not sure I would make it out alive but the experience would be worth it!

Wear a raincoat. :hide:

That said, it would definitely be a gas.

MUFC_Niagara
07-26-2010, 01:29 AM
The pre-seasn tour is a glorified training match. I was at the Union game. Philadelphia played like it was the world cup final.....United played like it was a pre-season friendly against a shit north american team. What MLS side wouldn't get up to play the likes of Man Utd, on the other side, how does Man Utd get up to play Philadelphia Union or Kansas City Wizards? The only reason I had hoped United wouldn't lose to a MLS side is for this very reason...all of a sudden MLS is on par with the EPL when really the EPL sides are using this as a means to increase fitness and decide whether or not their younger players should be sent out on loan. Corey Evans in is the United squad and played against Philly for fucks sake!

It goes without saying that MLS has gotten better but that's because with a domestic league your hom grown talent is always going to get better.

Pachuco
07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
The pre-seasn tour is a glorified training match. I was at the Union game. Philadelphia played like it was the world cup final.....United played like it was a pre-season friendly against a shit north american team. What MLS side wouldn't get up to play the likes of Man Utd, on the other side, how does Man Utd get up to play Philadelphia Union or Kansas City Wizards? The only reason I had hoped United wouldn't lose to a MLS side is for this very reason...all of a sudden MLS is on par with the EPL when really the EPL sides are using this as a means to increase fitness and decide whether or not their younger players should be sent out on loan. Corey Evans in is the United squad and played against Philly for fucks sake!

It goes without saying that MLS has gotten better but that's because with a domestic league your hom grown talent is always going to get better.

Yeah cause that's what everybody is saying aren't they, that MLS is at the same level as the EPL :rolleyes:.

Anyways, you'll never convince me that a a Man United B squad comes here not giving a fuck about the game. You seriously think the likes of Diouf, Gibson and EVEN Berbatov haven't come here with something to prove to Ferguson? You seriously think these guys are going to give up a starting spot on the team because they just don't care? Sorry, I'll never buy that argument. If it was their A team playing then maybe you could say that. Every single player on the United squad that is on this tour is fighting for a starting position, not a single one of them is guaranteed to be in the starting 11.

MUFC_Niagara
07-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah cause that's what everybody is saying aren't they, that MLS is at the same level as the EPL :rolleyes:.

Anyways, you'll never convince me that a a Man United B squad comes here not giving a fuck about the game. You seriously think the likes of Diouf, Gibson and EVEN Berbatov haven't come here with something to prove to Ferguson? You seriously think these guys are going to give up a starting spot on the team because they just don't care? Sorry, I'll never buy that argument. If it was their A team playing then maybe you could say that. Every single player on the United squad that is on this tour is fighting for a starting position, not a single one of them is guaranteed to be in the starting 11.

What "point do you prove" against a couple of shit MLS teams? These players aren't fighting for a "starting" spot....mostare fighting for a squad number. You can think what you want, but its wrong.

Pachuco
07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
What "point do you prove" against a couple of shit MLS teams? These players aren't fighting for a "starting" spot....mostare fighting for a squad number. You can think what you want, but its wrong.

Sure buddy. I'm wrong. All the players on the tour have come with the mentality that playing well against a shit MLS team isn't going to impress the coach. So they instead decide to walk around on the field and wait until the ref blows the final whistle. Heck, in that case they might as well not show up to practice either, you know, since it doesn't matter how they play outside of playing an EPL game.

And it doesn't matter that there are 50,000 people watching in the stands as I represent one of the top clubs in the world, I'm still gonna sit my ass on the field and wait for the ref to blow the final whistle cause the coach ain't judging me anyways.

There are way better excuses for ManU losing then to say the players on the field don't give a fuck.

DichioTFC
07-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Sir Alex Ferguson felt inexperience was to blame for Manchester United's surprise defeat by 10-man Kansas City Wizards.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=810244&sec=england&cc=5901

I personally don't buy the "Team X wasn't trying" argument. I can believe that the players aren't at their highest fitness level (look at Torres for Spain in the World Cup), or that the talent doesn't truly reflect the caliber of the squad, but the simple fact of the matter is that both teams are playing to win.

From superstition to financial reasons, "Team X" is always trying. This argument is designed to forever disqualify upset results.

MUFC_Niagara
07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Sir Alex Ferguson felt inexperience was to blame for Manchester United's surprise defeat by 10-man Kansas City Wizards.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=810244&sec=england&cc=5901

I personally don't buy the "Team X wasn't trying" argument. I can believe that the players aren't at their highest fitness level (look at Torres for Spain in the World Cup), or that the talent doesn't truly reflect the caliber of the squad, but the simple fact of the matter is that both teams are playing to win.

From superstition to financial reasons, "Team X" is always trying. This argument is designed to forever disqualify upset results.

The thing is, there is a difference between not trying and not getting fired up to play an MLS side. Who do you think United would want to beat more....Liverpool in the league or Kansas City Wizards in a pre-season game. None of the players are losing sleep over this I can promise you.

Cristiano14
07-26-2010, 10:27 AM

of course some of these players have a point to prove, because they're careers and season is on the line because how they play in pre season will directly effect how they will be used in the season.
-----
for example:
Berbatov- has been criticized as slow and lazy for most of last season and hasn't started as much as he would have liked. In order for him to turn it around he would obviously have to try very hard in pre season and prove it to ferguson. Against celtic he did try VERY hard and scored one and assisted two, im sure his drive continued into the other preseason games.

Diouf- is a relatively new addition to united who will want to play well in preseason to get a higher place in a relatively stacked united strike force

Obertan- another new addition that will want to impress to try and start over valencia or nani on the wings.

Gibson- scored some wonder goals when he did get a chance to play last year and played decently well, but will need to show more in preseason to have a place of any significance in the united midfield next season

All the youth players (e.g. Macheda, de laet etc.)- All this player will want to finally crack the united first team, these players are without a doubt very driven to preform in preseason as there first seasons with united will be the building blocks of their footballing career. additionally, the majority of these youth players are on par or far better than your average MLS player.

just to name a few, and this is only covering united

Clearly you can't read too much into preseason friendly because they are just that friendlies. BUT as i've proven some players NEED to try hard in order to have a place in next season, so yes they are trying. and all these players are professionals, they don't play like its a kick about in the park, they are payed to play and more importantly win.
while this isn't the measuring stick that we should use to measure TFC's improvement, these matches have proven that MLS side can hold their own in matches like this, which they debatably couldn't do 5 years ago

brad
07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
They could 4 years ago though. DC United drew 1-
1 against Real Madrid (with the galacticos).

ilikemusic
07-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Means nothing.

Call me when an MLS team wins when it matters. Like Champions League.

brad
07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
I watched the KC game yesterday, and watch pretty much every game United play. We can question/debate the reasons all we want, but that was one of the worst performances I've seen from United in a long time. Second to every ball, and more cheap give aways than I saw all of last season.

Using it as a yardstick to measure anything is pointless. If United play that bad this season, they will be relegated.

Yohan
07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
52,000 is a pretty damn impressive number for KC.... who draws what 9000 per MLS game?

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Other thing is other teams who play against these European teams play the kiddies too. So basically the whole thing is moot.

Leyton Orient 6 Newcastle 0.....this was when Newcastle had been relegated to the Championship and lost this preseason friendly. What happened? Newcastle beat the shit out of everyone and got promoted.

anto7
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I think everyone should calm down a little here. I think the point that was trying to be made by most was that it was a bit of a surprise that Kansas beat United regardless of the team United out out. I am a United fan and I would have fully expected them to beat Kansas even if it is a meaningless friendly to them. I dont think anybody is drawing any conclusions from the result other than MLS has improved and this result would proably not have happened a few years back. Same goes with the Red Bulls?City result and the Earthquakes/Spurs scoreline. Lets all just enjoy it for what it is.

anto7
07-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Oh, and by the way. I was reading some interviews with United players on the United website and they very much want to beat the All Star team on Wednesday night. So if they do get beat lets not pretend that they didnt care but at the same time it does not mean that MLS All stars are better than United. Just thought I would pre-empt the pending discussion on Wed night.

deltox
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
and that second goal shouldnt have counted....pretty sure the whole ball did not cross the line

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Talk is cheap. I'm still not sold on them playing 100%.

Let's see how things go.

rocker
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
The fact is, they got beat by an MLS team. Fact....

Most eurosnobs who hate MLS probably think Man U could send out the academy team and beat Kansas City. Umm, no.

It's also good because all the glory hunters who attended in Man U shirts might actually respect MLS a bit more and come to an MLS game now.

Pachuco
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Talk is cheap. I'm still not sold on them playing 100%.

Let's see how things go.

So basically if they lose they didn't play 100% ;).

There was actually an interesting poll in MLSSoccer.com yesterday but I don't see it there now. It asked the following question:

"If the 2010 MLS All Stars were in the EPL, what place would they finish?". When I clicked on my answer the "midtable" answer was overwhelmingly winning. That happens to be the same answer I chose.

I'm curious, where do you think they would be if this really did happen?

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I'd think it'd be somewhere in the 12th-13th range.

However some MLS teams I think play like they belong in League 1.

Yohan
07-26-2010, 02:13 PM

who was a man down for like 2/3 of the game.

tfcleeds
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
I find the fact that 52,000 people showed up at Arrowhead for a soccer match to be impressive, regardless of the opposition. Hopefully this bodes well for what the attendance might be like when they finally move into their new stadium.

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Most eurosnobs who hate MLS probably think Man U could send out the academy team and beat Kansas City. Umm, no.

It's also good because all the glory hunters who attended in Man U shirts might actually respect MLS a bit more and come to an MLS game now.

So what they almost lost to a South African team last year. Should they respect the South African league more? This has nothing to do with Eurosnobbery.

Try beating Pachuca in a meaningful game first.....

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
....Of the 9 MLS teams since 1999 to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League, only DC United and LA Galaxy have won it. LA won it in 2000 and DC won it in 1998 under the old format.

Since 2000 no MLS team has gone past the semifinals.

Part of the problem is the MLS' horrible scheduling system (friendlies, reg. season, playoffs, and All-Star game in 1 season) but otherwise this league is just not good enough to hold a candle to Mexico or Costa Rica. So let's hold off on talking about Europe.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2010, 02:48 PM
When MLS sides start winning Concacaff titles on a regualr basis.....and are participating in the World Club Championships on occasion......Then I will say this League is making strides!!! unitil then...it will always be second rate football...

but it is what it is.....i loving watching tfc and knowing that i have a team to support in my country...no matter how good the league is!

CretanBull
07-26-2010, 03:52 PM
It doesn't matter if the visiting teams are playing their "A", "B" or "C" team - none of them care about these games. If you honestly think that TFC's scrubs could hold a close to full squad Bolton team to a draw in a game that mattered you're beyond delusional.

If all it took to be competitive in the Prem was Doneil Henry, do you really think that clubs would be spending millions of dollars for talent?

These friendly games are what they are - fun to watch and a chance to see some famous players. If you think that they're giving it all and playing to win...give your head a shake.

Darlofletch
07-26-2010, 04:07 PM
....Of the 9 MLS teams since 1999 to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League, only DC United and LA Galaxy have won it. LA won it in 2000 and DC won it in 1998 under the old format.

Since 2000 no MLS team has gone past the semifinals.

Part of the problem is the MLS' horrible scheduling system (friendlies, reg. season, playoffs, and All-Star game in 1 season) but otherwise this league is just not good enough to hold a candle to Mexico or Costa Rica. So let's hold off on talking about Europe.

Horrible scheduling will hopefully work in our favour this week. whereas mls teams having to play the quarter final (i think) in pre-season while mexico and co are in the middle of their seasons, hurts mls chances (i presume, I can't be bothered to look up to see if this is actually a problem) we get to play motagau in their pre-season. Hopefully we can make that count.

brad
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I think everyone should calm down a little here. I think the point that was trying to be made by most was that it was a bit of a surprise that Kansas beat United regardless of the team United out out.

I think it's only a surprise to those that haven't paid attention to pre-season results of big European teams in the past. I'm not simply talking about Manchester United and MLS teams here.

Every year, big teams from Italy, England and Spain routinely lose matches to much smaller teams. There is nothing abnormal about that.

I am a United fan and I would have fully expected them to beat Kansas even if it is a meaningless friendly to them.I agree, and 9 times out of 10, they probably would win.

I dont think anybody is drawing any conclusions from the result other than MLS has improved and this result would proably not have happened a few years back. Same goes with the Red Bulls?City result and the Earthquakes/Spurs scoreline. Lets all just enjoy it for what it is.It did happen a few years back when DC United tied Real Madrid (with the Galacticos). Esky scored. I'm pretty sure that there are more cases of the same happening, I did a quick search though and couldn't turn up any results.

brad
07-26-2010, 04:46 PM
So basically if they lose they didn't play 100% ;).

I think they played to win, but not 100%. Only reason I say that is you don't play 100% in pre-season, you don't want to get injured.

I think lack of match fitness and a makeshift lineup got them (that back 4 with the youth keeper has never played together). Add in Nani playing his first minutes after an injury, and well below par performances from players like Paul Scholes who rarely have a bad game, and you have your answer.

Not making excuses, just stating my opinion.

There was actually an interesting poll in MLSSoccer.com yesterday but I don't see it there now. It asked the following question:

"If the 2010 MLS All Stars were in the EPL, what place would they finish?". When I clicked on my answer the "midtable" answer was overwhelmingly winning. That happens to be the same answer I chose.

I'm curious, where do you think they would be if this really did happen?

Depends on how you look at it. Are we talking about a series of 38 one off games, where the full All-star team is available, or are we talking about a real English season with Cup ties, injuries, and the like.

In the one offs, I think they'd do ok. Mid-table would not surprise me. If we are talking about a full season with injuries, I'd say it would be a role of the dice. Knock out Donavon, DeRo and one or two others, and there is a big drop in quality. I think they'd struggle in that case.

brad
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Why does this always come back around to "Eurosnobs?" I bet most folks posting on a TFC board don't fit this bill.

I'd love nothing more than to see MLS (and especially TFC) be playing at this level. It means the calibre of football I watch on a weekly basis would be way better than what it is today.

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Only North America has this "Eurosnob" issue where they're insecure about the quality of MLS.

I think the Mexican league is better than MLS so does that make me a "Mexisnob"?

brad
07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Only North America has this "Eurosnob" issue where they're insecure about the quality of MLS.

I think the Mexican league is better than MLS so does that make me a "Mexisnob"?

I just don't see the point in constant comparisons. Enjoy the league for what it is. MLS is improving in leaps and bounds, that's plain to see to anyone to see.

ilikemusic
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Having replied earlier and shrugging off the results. After watching the highlights, I think a little credit is due. The goals scored were by no means cheap or ugly or anything less than well deserved. Richards goal against City was a beauty.

Henry is going to rip this league to shreds. If he stays healthy he'll win the golden boot despite only playing half a season.

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Shite Bulls had some good football but the Wizards had an ugly winning goal.

habstfc
07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't think the K.C. second goal even crossed the line.

ag futbol
07-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Look, this isn't the first (or the last) "big" team that lost to an MLS squad this year. It shows the league is improving but nobody should lose their shit suggesting MLS is somehow better (or even anywhere close) to the top leagues. Nobody in their right mind would ever suggest that if these teams were both on mid-season form the MLS squad would stand a chance.

And for the plastics, maybe it's the slap in the face they need to show they're just being sucked dry of money so the big european clubs can play some shit pre-season soccer. It's been pure sucker-fest at BMO and Rogers Center all summer.

Lucky Strike
07-27-2010, 09:00 AM
According to a link I found on the Footy Blog, KC beating United has resulted in an extra 700 season tickets being sold for next year. And that's only the immediate impact. It's not really relevant for us, but that's a significant benefit of having mid-season friendlies (for the record, I'm still against them though).

tfcleeds
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
^Good for them, but midseason friendlies still suck.

FWIW, if 52,000 show up for a soccer match in what is prime football/college basketball territory, that can only bode well for the Wizards in my opinion. At least it shows there is potential for the KC market. Once they move into the new stadium, hopefully they can generate the highest attendances yet in their history.

Yohan
07-28-2010, 06:16 AM
for some comic relief, Jimmy Conrad's twitter on KC vs ManU game

"Sadly, Paul Scholes Declined My Invite To Worlds of Fun Saying He Can't Be In The Sun That Long. Don't Know If I Believe Him Or Not."

"Since Dimitar Berbatov Is A Cultured Man, I Will Buy Him A Bottle Of Gates BBQ Sauce Instead Of The Pedestrian K.C. Masterpiece."

"I Hope The Manchester United Players Will Be Happy With Their Kansas City Snowglobe. There is a picture of me inside each one.

"Last night, in honor of Eric Cantona, I flipped up the collar on my pajamas."

JC.Com News: The KC Wizards fix the little RED wagon of Manchester United. The RED Devils See RED after defeat. Sir Alex- RED-faced

JC.Com News: Jimmy Conrad and Dimitar Berbatov Have Agreed In Principle To Star In Buddie Movie Called "Red Card" -Christmas Of 2012 Release

JC.Com News - Red Lobster Wants Jimmy Conrad As A Spokesman If He Can Continue His Torrid Red Card Pace. Jimmy Suggests Davy Arnaud Instead.

someone is very bitter about his red card lol