PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday,July 25

denime
07-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Mornin'

Maicon Goal Not Enough To Down Dallas (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/07/maicon-goal-not-enough-down-dallas%27][URL=%22http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/07/maicon-goal-not-enough-down-dallas)

Hartman saves FC Dallas (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/07/24/14817726-torsun.html)

'Frustrating' draw for TFC (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/07/24/14817691-torsun.html)

Late goal gives Dallas a draw with Toronto FC (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/839826--late-goal-gives-dallas-a-draw-with-toronto-fc)

TFC gives up late equalizer to Dallas (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-gives-up-late-equalizer-to-dallas/article1650882/)

Santos scores in Toronto FC draw (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/07/24/sp-24july-dal-tfc.html)

Houston Problem For Academy Juniors (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/07/houston-problem-academy-juniors)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Keystone FC
07-25-2010, 09:45 AM
'As painful as a 1-1 tie was to Toronto FC on Saturday, it’s fall when it may really hurt.'
^^^^
This made me cringe.

“After we scored the goal, we relaxed,” said head coach Preki Radosavljevic. “It was almost like we took 10 new guys and put them on the field and said: ‘Okay, defend."

^^^^
But that's your coaching style.

“The best teams in the world keep pushing and look to win games 3-0, 4-0 and we’ve got to acquire that,” said Peterson, who came on as a substitute for the final nine minutes."

^^^^
Maybe Peterson needs to play more than just 9 minutes. It seems to me that he doesn't just watch better teams he looks at what they do and how they do it. Maybe Preki needs to take a risk on someone who just doesn't say, 'We need to do better.'

Keystone FC
07-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Preki said he did not call for the retreat into the defensive shell and de Guzman said he and his mates simply let up after finally breaking the deadlock.
“It was a relief because we’d been fighting so hard to get a goal,” de Guzman said.
“We thought that was pretty much it, but we had another half an hour left.
“There are a lot of positives that we can work off this game, but (it’s) not just an hour of football, it’s 90 minutes.”

This is the mentality that needs to end this minute if this club wants anything to do with the post season or any type of major tournament.
How is it so difficult to realize that you play the full 90+? As supporters we would be willing to give up a major organ to be on that pitch, in that kit, in any position, against any foe for 90 minutes plus. And if I died after the full time then it would be a good death because that meant I gave my all (or I'm EXTREMELY out of shape).
But that's all we are asking out of these guys...90 minutes plus...that's it, no more, and you know what...I think these guys want to give their all but at some point once they step foot on the pitch it's like the spirit is drained from them. I don't know, maybe it's the conditioning or training they do, but for the love of Pete (cause Pete needs all the loving he can get) think of th erest of the season as must-win-situations cause it's getting to the point where they are m-w-s.

Keystone FC
07-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah, morning D.

koryo
07-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Apparently Preki held his players behind yesterday to give them a bollocking after the match. Well, I'm thinking to myself "then give yourself a bollocking you stupid bastard. Yesterday's result was down to your tactics, your coaching, and the mentality you have instilled in these players."

Stupid bloody bastard.

P.S. Oh yeah, mornin' D. Mornin' Keystone.

Roogsy
07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Apparently Preki held his players behind yesterday to give them a bollocking after the match. Well, I'm thinking to myself "then give yourself a bollocking you stupid bastard. Yesterday's result was down to your tactics, your coaching, and the mentality you have instilled in these players."

Stupid bloody bastard.

QFFT...

CoachGT
07-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Stupid bloody bastard.

Amen to that!

JuliquE
07-25-2010, 11:34 AM
From a few pages into the post-game thread; felt it addresses some of the stick you lot are giving Preki:

Disappointing end to the game, but wow, there's some negative shit in this thread, which I feel is a bit unwarranted.
We played a good game, though after we scored we sat back and defended, which we really didn't have the line up to be doing effectively against a good team.

Overall I thought the defence really didn't inspire confidence but just about held it together, labrocca had a good game, and the midfield/forwards were better than usual, probably because we went with a more attacking line up, though I think de Ro's a bit wasted on the left wing, especially as he never once looked like he was going to take it down the line and do something with his left foot, which really should be at least an option for a left winger.

Nice goal, great move by de guzman to set it up, though he didn't have a great game aside from that, and though I haven't really seen a replay of the goal, it looked like horrible goalkeeping.

Mista had a good touch here and there but he looked really slow and not up to match fitness. Hopefully he'll get there soon.

As for the overly negative comments, this one really stood out to me.

That's the wettest I have ever been at BMO Field ever. I got absolutely soaked. Ugh...

Anyways...we all agreed that 3 points was needed and they didn't get it. Once again we fall victim to Prekiball where we get a lead and he decides to sit back and defend, subbing off offensive players for defensive players. WTF? When he did that most of us in the section agreed that it was only a matter of time before Dallas scored and low and behold, it happened. And we couldn't respond.

This team can barely score one goal per game, I can't remember the last time we scored more than one. We're not going far in the playoffs (if we make it) with that level of play.

BTW...I hate my section.

yeah, after we scored we seemed to play a lot more defensively which cost us the game. I'm pissed off about that, you're pissed off about that, but you know what, check the interviews on torontofc.ca, prekis' pissed off about it too, that's not what he wanted to happen. let's examine tfc's substitutions.

1, Sanyang for Mista. seems offensive to me
2, Hscanovics for Attakora, seems quite like for like, defensive for defensive, and dichiotfc, this was before dallas' goal so a bit unfair to blame "alpha soup" for the goal.
3 de ro for peterson, seems like winger for winger.

so when did the subbing off of offensive players for defensive players happen?

I know that your hate for preki is as big as your hard-on for De-Ro, but to blame this one on Preki and to say it was his tactics and "prekiball" that cost us this game is taking it to ridiculous extremes.

anyway, i'm drunk, and going to bed now.
Thanks, Darlofletch.

LesH
07-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Stupid bloody bastard.

IMO this season in about 5-6 games we lost 1 or 2 points because of Preki's BS ultra defensive, "go for a draw" and "defend the 1 goal lead" fuking mentality. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

LesH
07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
From a few pages into the post-game thread; felt it addresses some of the stick you lot are giving Preki: ..........

Sorry, but Preki very much deserves the stick he gets!
It's not about this single game, but about his general mentality about approaching most of the games ...........

(Can be translated in something like: "Not to lose, that's the goal! Forget about winning, that's a secondary thing, but if we don't lose all is OK"), .....

and this mentality gets imprinted very deep in most of our players.

JuliquE
07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
For me, the things that stand out about Preki's style of coaching is:

unity/fighting for each other
being difficult to play against/not gifting chances, the other way
not sitting back on defence -- something he's constantly preaching against.. yet he seems to always be accused of being too defensive minded, simply because of how important it is to him (IMO).

I don't feel that we can say Preki's brought stability, just yet; he's not had a proper pre-season and is only halfway through his first season. I can understand the predictions being made that state he won't be able to carry us much further, but they can only be that.. as there's hardly SOLID evidence in support -- time must be allowed; it's becoming a culture, here, to boot players and coaches, prematurely.

By this time, next season, most would have a case. But, uhh.. yeah.

Jeffro
07-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Sorry, but Preki very much deserves the stick he gets!
It's not about this single game, but about his general mentality about approaching most of the games ...........

(Can be translated in something like: "Not to lose, that's the goal! Forget about winning, that's a secondary thing, but if we don't lose all is OK"), .....

and this mentality gets imprinted very deep in most of our players.

QFT, our last 5 or 6 games have been pathetic, playing for 0-0 draws at home, playing a defensive shell at Philly... I honestly can't believe I support a team that plays this type of negative football.

The first 60 minutes were alright yesterday, but seriously, if the team doesn't know what to do with themselves after taking a lead it's down to coaching and tactics.

JuliquE
07-25-2010, 12:41 PM
That's the thing; I think everyone was parading around, stating Preki's brough us stability.. when really, we're just seeing glimpses of what he'd like to see implemented, for the long term. So, now, when things start to go wrong, everyone's calling for his head -- he never had things quite settled, to begin with and is just doing the best he can, with a rather disjointed beginning to the season.

If you look at Preki during those games in question, I'm sure you'd see him doing BACKflips along the sideline, over the team's shape and otherwise failure to execute his instruction.. something I feel may take a bit more than a few months, to really have everyone consistently on the same page. Perhaps I'm naive to think so, but I feel as if it's too soon to say, "he's gotta go."

LesH
07-25-2010, 12:51 PM
QFT, our last 5 or 6 games have been pathetic, playing for 0-0 draws at home, playing a defensive shell at Philly... I honestly can't believe I support a team that plays this type of negative football.

The first 60 minutes were alright yesterday, but seriously, if the team doesn't know what to do with themselves after taking a lead it's down to coaching and tactics.

Yeah, and the result is 1 win, 1 loss and 4 draws in a span of 6 games, from which 5 were at home.

That's 8 points dropped at home folks!!!! (Never mind the unbeaten streak at home, why I feel we are going drunk drinking too much cool aid about this unbeaten home streak?)
From where in the world we gonna recover these points playing as visitors?

These 8 points will be felt painfully at the end of the season, unless the second half of our season will be unexpectedly good.

LesH
07-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Perhaps I'm naive to think so, but I feel as if it's too soon to say, "he's gotta go."

I don't think anyone here's saying yet he's gotta go!
We have just recognized some of his coaching flaws, which flaws can have a long time negative effect on the results he wants to achieve with these players.

One thing is for sure, we like his style or not, he's still the best coach by far TFC ever had in it's short history (but then I must add we had pretty shitty coaches we can compare him with).

JuliquE
07-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I've read it that people are wanting to see him gone, along with Mo, come next season. I disagree, is all.

Anyway, I think we can be glad that we're much more solid at the back. He was also a goal-scorer, in his playing days and seems to know how to inspire confidence in our forwards (admittedly, a work in progress). We're now looking to improve our attack, with recent signings and a slightly more offensive-minded starting 11 -- it's the next step.

I'm not against criticising one thing or another, but just think some go a bit far in how vehement they get on the subject.. again, in some cases pushing for his dismissal.

Jeffro
07-25-2010, 01:56 PM
^I don't recall anybody saying he should be fired.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
^Oh yes they did but we don't see them round much.

koryo
07-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I've read it that people are wanting to see him gone, along with Mo, come next season. I disagree, is all.

Anyway, I think we can be glad that we're much more solid at the back. He was also a goal-scorer, in his playing days and seems to know how to inspire confidence in our forwards (admittedly, a work in progress). We're now looking to improve our attack, with recent signings and a slightly more offensive-minded starting 11 -- it's the next step.

I'm not against criticising one thing or another, but just think some go a bit far in how vehement they get on the subject.. again, in some cases pushing for his dismissal.

Perhaps I am over-reacting. Wouldn't be the first time either. I can't disagree with anything you've said in this thread... just incredibly frustrated that we've dropped eight valuable points at home this season. Ultimately, he has to be partially culpable. It can't just be the players.

And FTR, I am pleased with how he has made this team much more organized and difficult to beat. I just wonder if he's the man to take that foundation and evolve it.

JuliquE
07-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I, too, am extremely frustrated over how many points we've dropped at home and would never absolve Preki of any responsibility. I can't even stand to think about the last few games, with how much I've been let down -- literally refusing to talk about it, sometimes.. but I try to keep my emotions in check, about the whole thing.

I'm just emphasizing that things have been a tad chaotic, from the jump and few seem to remember that we had pretty much written off this year, after the mess of a pre-season we had -- let Preki in and ship Mo out, was the mantra. That we've come this far is good -- not good enough, just yet -- but I think we shouldn't forget that time is still needed. We're trying to shape together a certain culture/identity, here; this won't happen overnight.

CoachGT
07-25-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm not a fan of Preki but I still want the team to be competitive and do its best week in and week out. My issue is not with the man himself but his coaching style. Like many others, I'm not impressed with our current run of things, something that I worried about at the start of the season.

Right now, we're playing well enough not to lose but not good enough to win. I'm not sure that I've seen TFC clearly have the run of play for a few games. In some respects, I think we've been perhaps a little lucky or in a position to capitalize on mistakes by our opposition as opposed to clearly, hands down owning the game. And back to back games with late goals against doesn't help things.

I agree that a team needs solid defence in order to win, but I disagree that it is defence without a dedication to offence. The record shows TFC has 6 wins when scoring first. Goals matter, as does preventing them, but you can't win if you can't score. Right now, we're seeing a little of how much DeRo carried things on the early run in the season.

Roogsy
07-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Just to make clear what I am reading so far:

Dropped points at home and few points on the road is a recipe for success?

Right now, our position in the standings is due to a great month of May. One month does not make a season and if we don't get things back on track we will have barely done better than last year all the while playing ugly football. That's quite the result for a complete overhaul of the team.

Darlofletch
07-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Just to make clear what I am reading so far:

Dropped points at home and few points on the road is a recipe for success?

Right now, our position in the standings is due to a great month of May. One month does not make a season and if we don't get things back on track we will have barely done better than last year all the while playing ugly football. That's quite the result for a complete overhaul of the team.

of course that's not a recipe for success, but if you're going to discount the month of may, why not discount the first month of the season. Take those few games out of the equation and we'd be looking good.

Anyway, how quickly were you expecting the overhaul to work. Our squad has been a work in progress all season, we started off massively undermanned and predictably didn't look tooo good. We added pieces and when they blended in to the team, we became a solid defensive team.

Aside from a few games, we haven't looked great going forward, but now we've added what will hopefully be very good players in Maicon and Mista, thus addressing that problem. We'll see how it works out, but hopefully now we have the personnel to enable Preki to play a more adventurous formation.

Are we the finished article yet? of course not and I don't think anyone's saying we are, but you can't say that the overhaul is completed, or that the current team and how we're playing is the definitive result for the preki regime.

we're not at the end of the right track, but I believe we're on the way.

And oh, you never did answer my question about all those defensive substitutions Preki made yesterday.

rocker
07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
If Preki is pissed off, then obviously the team was not doing what he wanted for those 10-15 minutes after the goal. That period is not, then, a representation of what Preki wants, right?

This notion that TFC played "defensively" belies the fact that they had more chances than Dallas did before the first goal, and actually had a nice run of possession until scoring the first goal.

Now, after the first goal, they didn't "play defensive" or whatever you want to call it. They just lost their energy and focus, and Preki rightly so was pissed off about it. But that's got nothing to do with "playing defense" or Preki's preferred style.

v00d00daddy
07-26-2010, 05:32 AM
To those of you who don't like Preki's "avoid a loss" first style....please see the summer records of the past 3 seasons.

That's about it.

Baby steps people. We need to learn how to defend and then learn how to win.

It's not my favourite style to watch but results are results. As long as the long ball mentality is gone I'm happy.(er)