PDA

View Full Version : The seething, snarling ever-present threat of TFC fan violence...

greatwhitenorf
07-24-2010, 05:59 PM
...is such that TFC choose to plant a couple of dozen or so of them heavily jacketed, side-arm flashing, $65/hr Nearly Heroes directly in front of the fans who pay the highest season ticket prices and let them sullenly block their view of big chunks of the game.

Quite a reward, eh, for paying over $3,000 per season, per seat - plus expensive food and drink service - for a field-side table with four seats?

You get to watch a big immobile blob of flourescent yellow jacket surrounding a police officer who isn't the least bit interested in discussing the matter with you.

Instead of the game you paid top dollar to watch.

And if that isn't enough, there's the broadcast crew morons who stand there and hold audio-mike dishes or work the sideline hand-held cameras. Often blocking big chunks of the game and not giving a damn who can't see.

Doesn't do much when clients are wondering what the big deal is about these seats. Or this sport.

Couldn't ALL of these Very Very Important People be planted in chairs, replaced by RC units or crouch down on kneepads in the case of the cameraman and his wire-pulling chimp, at field-side and let the primo clients properly enjoy the game?

I believe that's what happens in The BIG BIG Leagues.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 06:43 PM
That's ridiculous. I would speak to your account rep if I were you. If there is one type of paying STH the team doesn't want to lose, it's the one that pays the for the top seats.

wzhxvy
07-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Top overpriced seats none the less...this isnt basketball...field sides, tables or seats are a horrible place to watch the game. They should give people massages to keep them paying for those seats.

TFC_Chris
07-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Top overpriced seats none the less...this isnt basketball...field sides, tables or seats are a horrible place to watch the game. They should give people massages to keep them paying for those seats.

Complete with happy endings...

flatpicker
07-24-2010, 07:03 PM
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/Humor_I_Love_Happy_Endings_Brown_Shirt.jpg

TFCRegina
07-24-2010, 07:33 PM
...is such that TFC choose to plant a couple of dozen or so of them heavily jacketed, side-arm flashing, $65/hr Nearly Heroes directly in front of the fans who pay the highest season ticket prices and let them sullenly block their view of big chunks of the game.

Quite a reward, eh, for paying over $3,000 per season, per seat - plus expensive food and drink service - for a field-side table with four seats?

You get to watch a big immobile blob of flourescent yellow jacket surrounding a police officer who isn't the least bit interested in discussing the matter with you.

Instead of the game you paid top dollar to watch.

And if that isn't enough, there's the broadcast crew morons who stand there and hold audio-mike dishes or work the sideline hand-held cameras. Often blocking big chunks of the game and not giving a damn who can't see.

Doesn't do much when clients are wondering what the big deal is about these seats. Or this sport.

Couldn't ALL of these Very Very Important People be planted in chairs, replaced by RC units or crouch down on kneepads in the case of the cameraman and his wire-pulling chimp, at field-side and let the primo clients properly enjoy the game?

I believe that's what happens in The BIG BIG Leagues.

To be honest, you get a better view from standing at the top of the stand than you do near the bottom. Much better view of the pitch. I've watched almost all my soccer from that distance and love it.

Juanito
07-24-2010, 09:45 PM
That's bullshit! I'd be raising hell at MLSE!!

Those seats aren't free, you deserve to at least have an unobstructed view. Bunch of jackasses!!

greatwhitenorf
07-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I just love the idea that the constables manning The Thin Yellow Line have to be packing and flashing firearms in front of families. Do you think the clubs and constabularies of Anfield or Old Trafford - hell, even Millwall - do much of that in their overall game-day procedures?

Can you imagine how distracting that would be to curious or covetous NBA marksmen at a Raptors game?

Distracting? One kid kept wondering if a gun would go off if the constable, with his back to the field, ever got hit by a wayward ball on his holster.

What kind of thing is that to hear from a youngster at a soccer game?

Instead of wondering if De Ro would ever get his game together, we started make black-humoured jokes, like why weren't any camera-mounted G20 helicopters circling overhead. And hoping no one named Archibald Tuttle or Buttle was sitting nearby.

I have access to tickets that let me sit all over the stadium. Enjoy seeing the game from different perspectives. Will be giving field level a pass in future.

nfitz
07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
At this point, I don't even understand why there are so many police in the stadium; particularly with no away supporters.

Security seems bored half the time too - not enough for them to deal with, let alone the police.

And the police look even more bored since the G20 ... I think they are starting to realize that we are pretty harmless.

mmmikey
07-25-2010, 02:41 AM
MLSE Philosophy: being over prepared all the time is better than being under prepared just once.

i dont care how much or how heavy security there is, as long as it doesn't fuck with game day experience.. that's poor execution.

Afra
07-25-2010, 05:41 AM
Distracting? One kid kept wondering if a gun would go off if the constable, with his back to the field, ever got hit by a wayward ball on his holster.

That is an inappropriate question from a child. The Glocks that the cops are issues have a trigger safety that would be inside the holster also. Nothing to either take the safety off or pull the trigger is exposed and there is no angle for the ball to hit to pull the trigger. Poor kid, I hope someone was able to straighten him/her out.

Keystone FC
07-25-2010, 06:14 AM
That is an inappropriate question from a child. The Glocks that the cops are issues have a trigger safety that would be inside the holster also. Nothing to either take the safety off or pull the trigger is exposed and there is no angle for the ball to hit to pull the trigger. Poor kid, I hope someone was able to straighten him/her out.
Sounds like an average kid from America to me.:rolleyes:
A little off topic but I think the kid is very aware of a possible situation involving a pistol and a large group of people. Better to ask and get an answer than to keep it all inside and worry yourself to death over soemthing that may never or will never happen.

Cashcleaner
07-25-2010, 06:35 AM
When you front that sort of cash for field-level seats, the club should at least try to give you some value for money. Take it up with your ticket rep ASAP. I think we would all agree that security at BMO is important, but there's just little justification for so many cops and private guards milling about looking bored.

Parkdale
07-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I'd suggest calling your account rep and stating that you are not happy with your new 'obstructed view' and that something should be done about it or credit should be refunded for the tickets. You know the new sunken player benches? I'm sure those were built because the first 5 rows of 222-223-224 complained. An obstructed view is a discounted ticket - simple as that.

Pookie
07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
MLSE Philosophy: being over prepared all the time is better than being under prepared just once.

Oh, I don't think they are overprepared. Remember banner gate and "shirts off"?

I think they make it up on the fly.

I think MLSE philosophy is more of a "not think it through" kind of plan.

I imagine the proposal to launch the field seats went a little like this.

"Gentlemen, we are here to discuss the merits of creating field seats. Now, an obvious advantage is that we can charge thousands of dollars per seat but we have to coordinate with game day ops to ensure that the view reflects the value."

"Thousands??? SOLD! Make it Happen!... hey did he say something about something we need to do after he said thousands of dollars per seat?... never mind. Giggity giggity. Thousands of dollars."

Mayor_McCheese
07-25-2010, 01:06 PM
I have to chime in on this..I may be missing the point but why do people have so much disrespect for other people and their jobs? Calling someone a wire pulling chimp? How about a little respect for the person. That's his job and I'm sure his number one concern while performing said job isn't to make sure to block your view. Also, calling the broadcast people "broadcast crew morons" is absolutely unnecessary. Same thing applies to these people, it's their jobs and I'm sure their number one concern is not to make sure your view is blocked. Even when people refer to the security guards who work there, they almost always refer to them in a derogatory manner or make disparaging remarks towards them. People have no respect. Voice your concerns all you want, I know I would, but there's absolutely no need to refer to these people in such a demeaning manner. Just my two cents.

13CP
07-25-2010, 01:10 PM
^^ I agree. I use to be a camera girl for Rogers TV, and although that's not as big as lets say CBC, it was still my job to broadcast hockey games. I cannot help the position I am in. And btw, I wasn't even getting paid (internship). I little respect goes a long way. All of you are there to watch the game and of course that makes sense, however they are there to do their job. Calling them names is in my very honest opinion; immature. Grow up. You are here for TFC, not to whine and bitch about every issue you have that "ruins" your experience.

Pookie
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
^ I think the issue is more the "value" you get vs what you are charged.

I think the entire North Stand patrons have an issue in that their seats are close to double that of the south stands yet they have no way to view replays.

Field seats may be billed as close to the action but they appear to offer very poor sightlines as a result of the game day operations that are known to be in the area.

Most other "in the action" seats, such as those at the Jays or court side at the Raptors don't offer obstructed views.

If anything, those seats should be discounted.

Of course, it is a free market and why anyone would pay that kind of scratch for a table close to MLS action is another thread entirely.

Darlofletch
07-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I have to chime in on this..I may be missing the point but why do people have so much disrespect for other people and their jobs? Calling someone a wire pulling chimp? How about a little respect for the person. That's his job and I'm sure his number one concern while performing said job isn't to make sure to block your view. Also, calling the broadcast people "broadcast crew morons" is absolutely unnecessary. Same thing applies to these people, it's their jobs and I'm sure their number one concern is not to make sure your view is blocked. Even when people refer to the security guards who work there, they almost always refer to them in a derogatory manner or make disparaging remarks towards them. People have no respect. Voice your concerns all you want, I know I would, but there's absolutely no need to refer to these people in such a demeaning manner. Just my two cents.

couldn't agree more.

13CP
07-25-2010, 01:27 PM
No I absolutely agree. I can see how the obstructed view can be an issue, but there are nicer and more polite ways of dealing with it. Calling someone a name is not going to accomplish anything. However calling your rep and letting them know of the issue (again, polity) can help progress to a solution. I had a beer guy in front of me for a good 15 minutes, and I politely asked if he could kneel down and he happily did so.

Mayor_McCheese
07-25-2010, 01:35 PM
No I absolutely agree. I can see how the obstructed view can be an issue, but there are nicer and more polite ways of dealing with it. Calling someone a name is not going to accomplish anything. However calling your rep and letting them know of the issue (again, polity) can help progress to a solution. I had a beer guy in front of me for a good 15 minutes, and I politely asked if he could kneel down and he happily did so.

You said it best. There's ways of going about raising your issues.

greatwhitenorf
07-25-2010, 06:50 PM
The cops won't move. Just ask one.

The security personnel aren't interested in what you can or can't see.

The broadcast people act like you don't exist. Or matter. Doing their job? Sure, but bigger brains need to be used to define that job. Collectively, I'd bet sideline cameras don't account for more than a minute's worth of game action in a typical two-hour plus telecast. So much can be done nowadays with remote-controlled units.

Nobody pays to come into a stadium and watch these people work. But that's what top-dollar customers have to put up with at BMO Field.

This issue isn't based on one game, but on collective experiences on both sides of the pitch at field level.

As for being disrespectful or derogatory, the club cultivates that by assuming it's patrons are so collectively untrustworthy that a massive and obtrusive police/security presence is needed in all areas at all times. I've spent my whole life in stadiums and arenas and it's never been this Orwellian.

What could be more disrespectful to fans that greeting them with the sight of a gun? Even a properly-holstered, impact-proof, kinder, gentler Glock?

In the States, some venues designate staff as 'section leaders'. These aren't cheerleaders. They're just smart, observant, diplomatic people who know what to say and how to say it when certain fans get a little unruly. They're trained to bring things back on balance with good humour. If something gets beyond their control, then heavier measures can be called in. Stewards work that way in Europe.

Why do I have to watch a game with many sets of eyes constantly boring in on me and my friends or family, diminishing my enjoyment of the game? I don't act up. Why do we need to be constantly stared at by unfriendly-looking strangers? Why not have CCTV observe things more discreetly and only bring in police into full view when needed?

I won't have any of these concerns at the golf club or ski hill.

Mayor_McCheese
07-25-2010, 07:31 PM
I think you're being pretty ridiculous. I see your point about blocking your view, but complaining about police presence? Go to any sporting event here and you'll see cops everywhere. At Blue Jays games they have RCMP there as well as TPS. As for their weapons being visible, they have to be accessible at all times to the officer. Ya it may cause some to be uncomfortable, who don't regularly see a weapon, but I think I'd rather deal with being uncomfortable seeing it, than him hiding it from the public and have someone potentially get hurt because he can't get to his weapon fast enough. Complaining to the one security guard in your way or the dude with the camera isn't going to accomplish anything. There's a plethora of avenues to raise this issue, all of which are not being utilized in this thread. I suggest you take the amount of time and energy you're exerting here and direct it at your ticket representative and follow those avenues. I might not have the thousands of dollars you have to afford season's seats, especially field side. I personally depend on the camera people and "wire pulling chimps" to provide me with the footage so that I am able to enjoy the game.

Afra
07-25-2010, 07:44 PM
I was just being a dick with the Glock comment - sorry.

The problem is tha were you have uniformed cop, you will have a (hopefully) holstered sidearm. It is as much a part of their equipment as their radio or hat.

There are some with mor einfluence than us that seem convinced that the current levels of security are necessary. They may include the Chief of police, the superintendent in that division, FO, whoever - except the cops on the front line who are 'bored'. Jumping all over the front line security will not really get you anywhere because most will probably agree. Ultimately it is a front office issue as I am sure they have the power to order as many or as few security gaurds/cops as they want or feel that they need.

13CP
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I use to be those `wire pulling chimps` and finally moved up to camera. Being crtisized like that isn`t fair. And one or two mins? It's much more than that. I know I'm just one person but I take that comment personally.

Mayor_McCheese
07-25-2010, 07:53 PM
I use to be those `wire pulling chimps` and finally moved up to camera. Being crtisized like that isn`t fair. And one or two mins? It's much more than that. I know I'm just one person but I take that comment personally.

don't mind him..do your thing girl

13CP
07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
My internship is over but it allowed me to appreciate jobs like that which this thread is made to bash unfortunately.

DichioTFC
07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
^ I don't think the OP intended for it to be a personal attack and for someone to take it personally is most likely unintentional.

The point is clear, the staff (camera guys, cops, security) need to move if they're obstructing fans' views. But to the OP, if your view is not visible you have to make it known to BMO / TFC, they're the ones responsible for putting the staff where they are.

DichioTFC
07-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I just love the idea that the constables manning The Thin Yellow Line have to be packing and flashing firearms in front of families. Do you think the clubs and constabularies of Anfield or Old Trafford - hell, even Millwall - do much of that in their overall game-day procedures?

Can you imagine how distracting that would be to curious or covetous NBA marksmen at a Raptors game?

Instead of wondering if De Ro would ever get his game together, we started make black-humoured jokes, like why weren't any camera-mounted G20 helicopters circling overhead. And hoping no one named Archibald Tuttle or Buttle was sitting nearby.

I have access to tickets that let me sit all over the stadium. Enjoy seeing the game from different perspectives. Will be giving field level a pass in future.

The facepalm was invented for comments like those.

Mayor_McCheese
07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
thread is worthless and should be deleted.

Roogsy
07-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Well...you're keeping it alive with your comments. If you want a thread to die, I recommend letting it drop to the 2nd page.

13CP
07-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Unless those who have an issue with this and actually talk to their rep, no point in discussing it any further.

Dirk Diggler
07-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I think the thread starter is bringing up a valid concern. Maybe the way he communicated his point was not as diplomatic as we would have liked but his concern sounds perfectly discussable to me.

DichioTFC
07-25-2010, 10:08 PM
The concern is definitely valid, but the solution is mind-numbingly simple.

prizby
07-25-2010, 11:01 PM
thread is worthless and should be deleted.

it really isn't worthless, but i think the discussion has died.

The problem was illustrated
The problem had some validity to it
The problem was discussed
The problem issued a solution

and that should have been the end of it...but some ppl are drama queens and to compare TFC to European footie, when the fact is this person couldn't even get field seating like they have at BMO Field in Europe

Blizzard
07-25-2010, 11:20 PM
^ I think the issue is more the "value" you get vs what you are charged.

I think the entire North Stand patrons have an issue in that their seats are close to double that of the south stands yet they have no way to view replays.

It is an issue although after having sat there for the Vancouver NCC match, the replay board was very watchable by looking over my should. Everyone was doing it. It's not ideal obviously but it works.

Their sight lines are better than the south end seats too plus better seats so in that sense I can see a slight boost in price but overalll, it isn't really an equitable situation.

As many of those seats don't appear to be sold at times, perhaps MLSE may be starting to recognize this.

Yagbod
07-25-2010, 11:29 PM
The concern is definitely valid, but the solution is mind-numbingly simple.

Exactly, don't buy the field level seats! The prices are stupid and the sight lines are the worst. The beer garden is better (by about 4 feet), and after spending most of last year there, I can tell you that they suck too.

Partial packs have better seats, for a fraction of the cost.

I have sympathy, but enough said.

nfitz
07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
It is an issue although after having sat there for the Vancouver NCC match, the replay board was very watchable by looking over my should. Everyone was doing it. It's not ideal obviously but it works.How is it an issue? The replays are a lot easier to watch from the north stands, than the south stands - although I haven't sat at the back of the north stands - but it should still be visible.

And the view from the front of the north stands is far better than from the front of the south stands.

Blizzard
07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
How is it an issue? The replays are a lot easier to watch from the north stands, than the south stands - although I haven't sat at the back of the north stands - but it should still be visible.

And the view from the front of the north stands is far better than from the front of the south stands.

I did mention the improved sight lines.

The video board can be an issue in that in the south stand you can at least keep an eye on what's going on on the field while watching the replay. In the north, you obviously can't do that. Also, some people just don't like looking over their shoulder. As I did say though, I had no problem doing so.

Bob Hunter of MLSE has already gone on the record as saying that they are looking at improving the video board situation although I wouldn't think it would be a high priority although it wouldnt' be a bad addition to the facility.