PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: Dallas at TFC

Batman
07-24-2010, 05:05 PM
another one gets away.

The annual mid season let down seems to be well underway.

ArmenJBX
07-24-2010, 05:07 PM
At least it was a draw and not a loss....2009 Toronto FC would have lost this game imo.

Preki should have started Mista. Garcia had his first good game, if you define good as "not horrible". De Guzman, oh De Guzman, why do we pay you so much money?

sampace
07-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Should of won the game, they didn't bury their chances either. Deguzman had a great chance to score early in the game and set the pace. When is he going to finally score a goal for TFC?

DeSantos looks good, not much to say about the Spaniard yet. Props to Deguzman on setting up the lone goal for TFC, and yes he is the midfielder, but he still needs to score the odd goal once and awhile. Heck, I think Nana has scored more than him for TFC and he is a defender.

adam1001
07-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Besides the pass to maicon, deguzman has been absolute shit. Its really starting to piss me off. Sanyang hasnt been good either. Get one of them off the field and start mista instead. Dero has been invisible lately as well. Fuck.........

sampace
07-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Barrett plays hard but hasn't socred since the World Cup break and neither has DeRo. Perhaps DeRo is playing poorly because he isn't going to get his DP money?

ag futbol
07-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't know what to say overall about this game other than it reminds me of how we have FAILED continuously to make good on our signings.

Brennan and Wynne were defensively shit, neither could hold the ball either. Fine. What's our solution? Go out and get two guys from Eastern Europe who might be more defensively minded, but still aren't MLS quality players. We're back where we started.

This team needs more talent. We can't pack it in every game and scrap it for points. It's ugly and ineffective.

ArmenJBX
07-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Barrett scored the last game again Philly...

Batman
07-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Barrett plays hard but hasn't socred since the World Cup break and neither has DeRo. Perhaps DeRo is playing poorly because he isn't going to get his DP money?

I wouldn't think that at all. Just a dry spell IMHO.

azorean10
07-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Anyone catch the fan asking for Garcia's autograph after the game......WTF?

and paraphrasing but Nigel follows up with something like " that young fan will be treasuring that signature for years to come"...LOL

sampace
07-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I do agree that Mista should be starting with Santos up front, as they are there best two forwards. I'd still keep Barrett on the field somewhere, and take one of the other midfielders off.

Inklink
07-24-2010, 05:13 PM
I echo the sentiments on De Guzman. He is really useless to be honest. Yes he set up that goal, but before that he was just spectating. He has good feet to bring down a ball and turn quickly, but god dammit, do something worthy of a DP salary.

Mista looked OK.

Maicon has been very impressive. Nice shot, some nice flicks, and a physical presence.

Nigel Reed says some really stupid stuff, on top of his repeated terms that he beats to death 4 times a half.

Credit to Garcia today, he played quite well.

Finally, the time wasting in soccer is a damn damn shame to the sport and makes me sick.

DoubleUp
07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I think this 11 has to play together more, and now with these new players Preki needs to stress triangles and makin the ball work for us. The more tha ball bounces the more ineffective Julian is.

TFC USA
07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Nick Garcia.........mindless fucking pass to Dero instead of clearing it. His 10 yard pass can't even be on target. As for Dero he should've just let it go out for a throw instead of something worse.

MoM was Frei because we deserved to lose this game.

TFC USA
07-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Our only route to the playoffs is to remain unbeaten at home.

At this point I'm not sure this is a team that can string 3 road wins this season. We've got 1 already but other than KC and DC I don't see any other place we can string out a win.

Brooker
07-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Perhaps DeRo is playing poorly because he isn't going to get his DP money?

yup. i'm sure thats it. :facepalm:

ag futbol
07-24-2010, 05:24 PM
JDG just looks highly, highly, highly, highly, disinterested.

Maybe playing with MLS level players is below him, because he just can't seem to be bothered to mark a player making an attacking run, have enough patience to weight his pass properly, or just generally impose himself on the play.

Now he was never going to be Gold cup 2007 guy (he simply doesn't play like that regularly) but this is the same person who i've seen pretty much single handedly frustrate Real Madrid on several occasions with a near telepathic ability to read the play.

going from that to disinterested MLS player ... yikes

Hooligan69
07-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Well, my prediction of a 2-1 TFC victory didn't come to fruition, but I was close nonetheless. :lol:

Brooker
07-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, my prediction of a 2-1 TFC victory didn't come to fruition, but I was close nonetheless. :lol:

hey man you look like a star compared to [NBF]'s 4-0 Dallas prediction. :flare:

Batman
07-24-2010, 05:28 PM
JDG just looks highly, highly, highly, highly, disinterested.

Maybe playing with MLS level players is below him, because he just can't seem to be bothered to mark a player making an attacking run, have enough patience to weight his pass properly, or just generally impose himself on the play.

Now he was never going to be Gold cup 2007 guy (he simply doesn't play like that regularly) but this is the same person who i've seen pretty much single handedly frustrate Real Madrid on several occasions with a near telepathic ability to read the play.

going from that to disinterested MLS player ... yikes

I expect he has a great deal of enthusiasm on the 15th and 31st of the month.

Hooligan69
07-24-2010, 05:35 PM
hey man you look like a star compared to [NBF]'s 4-0 Dallas prediction. :flare:

:flare::drum::scarf:

TFCREDNWHITE
07-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Fuck, for the 1st half the 4000 or so spectators in the stands looked disinterested! Deguzman played ok in the first half...but in the second half he cranked it up! I mean shit guys, the guy is a defensive midfielder who set-up our GOAL for crying out loud....

What do you want from him!? the golden boot!?

fuck if Garcia and Dero weren't so lazy in our end with that bullshit that gave them a corner all you bashers wouldn't say shit cause we would have had 3 points!

Davenport
07-24-2010, 05:40 PM
There is no speed in the team.
Without that we're not going to win too many games.
They had 3 or 4 players who were quicker than our fastest guy.

TFC USA
07-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Dero was put in a tough spot with such a shitty pass by Garcia. I don't see what's so hard about that. That was mostly Garcia's fuck-up to me.

LesH
07-24-2010, 05:48 PM
another one gets away.

The annual mid season let down seems to have started.

Man, it started a very long time ago!
When before the last game outside BMO we had 4 games in row at home, and we managed to get just 1 win out of all those games. :(

Batman
07-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Man, it started a very long time ago!
When before the last game outside BMO we had 4 games in row at home, and we managed to get just 1 win out of all those games. :(

You're right... we've certainly squandered the opportunity.

adam1001
07-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Fuck, for the 1st half the 4000 or so spectators in the stands looked disinterested! Deguzman played ok in the first half...but in the second half he cranked it up! I mean shit guys, the guy is a defensive midfielder who set-up our GOAL for crying out loud....

fuck if Garcia and Dero weren't so lazy in our end with that bullshit that gave them a corner all you bashers wouldn't say shit cause we would have had 3 points!

To complete a pass once in a while? To beat his man to the ball maybe? To stop trotting around the field with no interest whatsoever? Playing both deguzman and sanyang at the same time just isn't working in my opinion. Keep one on and give mista the start.

ag futbol
07-24-2010, 05:53 PM
What we need to do is keep Labrocca in the same role he was in today, providing he's not getting fouled out of the game. He was much more effective than anyone else knocking the ball around.

denime
07-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I echo the sentiments on De Guzman. He is really useless to be honest. Yes he set up that goal, but before that he was just spectating. He has good feet to bring down a ball and turn quickly, but god dammit, do something worthy of a DP salary.

Mista looked OK.

Maicon has been very impressive. Nice shot, some nice flicks, and a physical presence.

Nigel Reed says some really stupid stuff, on top of his repeated terms that he beats to death 4 times a half.

Credit to Garcia today, he played quite well.:picard:

Finally, the time wasting in soccer is a damn damn shame to the sport and makes me sick.

What game did you watch?

Goal was scored after useless Garcia made fucked up pass to Dero and we lost ball possession,as a result of that screw up FCD got corner kick and the rest we know.

I don't know wHTF Preki was thinking to put Garcia on LB.His place is on the bench of junior academy as ball boy.

Sign Medic from White Eagles,put Attakora as LB and get rid of Garcia FFS.

LesH
07-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Credit to Garcia today, he played quite well.

I guess we watched different games.
Suffice to say about Garcia that the equalizer happened because of him, because his usual once a game (at least) defensive fuck-up lead to the corner from which Dallas got the goal.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Shit man, I thought LaBrocca gave the ball away cheaply too many times today...

Lets also remember that the 1st half had horrible conditions...In the 2nd half i thought we totally out played Dallas...but we just gave them a corner that should never have happened and our marking by Gargan and Nana on the ensuing corner was weak!

Bottom line we gave them a tie!

This tie, had nothing to do with JDG...JDG played well for what was expected out of him in this game....

TFC USA
07-24-2010, 06:01 PM
We should've lost the game.

Dallas squandered just as many opportunities late on and outplayed us after our opening goal.

WHITEY
07-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm gonna be honest here, I missed a lot of the match because there was a fucking HOT female cop standing at the bottom of our section the entire match and well, ya, spent most of the match watching her LOL as for Garcia? What the fuck can be said about him and his useless fucking ways that already hasn't been said.

greatwhitenorf
07-24-2010, 06:11 PM
De Ro should never have been playing that ball back to Garcia.

Just do what 7-year-olds are taught. When in doubt, kick it out.

Overall, Garcia actually did have a decent game today playing two positions.

And if that is how Dallas want to play the game, well, no wonder no body bothers to go see them at home. Dreadful, cynical, anti-soccer.

MLS can take a lead role in changing things by insisting if a player spends 10 seconds down on the field 'injured', then he must spend at least one minute on the sidelines being 'allowed' to recover. It's the humane thing to do, right?

Lie there for 30 seconds or have the trainer come on and you'll be waiting a minimum 3 minutes to get back on. That might be a good start to changing all this faking. If it isn't, just add more time to the sideline wait.

DichioTFC
07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Poor defending on the corner (someone lost their man, dont want to speculate who but I think it was Alpha Soup). Mista and M. Stanos are welcome additions. Mista has a bit of Dichio-like feel when he steps onto the pitch, the players seemed to respond and up their tempo.

Sidenote: I was sitting in 226, and 112 was FUCKING LOUD, throughout the bad weather and absolutely killed it when the sun broke. I recorded a bit of it on my phone that I'll put up on youtube one day, but it was crystal clear. Well done guys.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
That's the wettest I have ever been at BMO Field ever. I got absolutely soaked. Ugh...

Anyways...we all agreed that 3 points was needed and they didn't get it. Once again we fall victim to Prekiball where we get a lead and he decides to sit back and defend, subbing off offensive players for defensive players. WTF? When he did that most of us in the section agreed that it was only a matter of time before Dallas scored and low and behold, it happened. And we couldn't respond.

This team can barely score one goal per game, I can't remember the last time we scored more than one. We're not going far in the playoffs (if we make it) with that level of play.

BTW...I hate my section.

DichioTFC
07-24-2010, 06:53 PM
@Roogsy, we need multiple goal games. I was reading an American review of TFC online somewhere and we're known for defensive, gritty 1-0 games. Time for another goalscoring outburst

DichioTFC
07-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Also, when I was leaving, some little kid said to his parents, "nobody won."

I looked at the dejected players, the soaked and upset fans, and the disinterested tourists who didn't notice the game was over because they were updating facebook on their iphone.

The kid was right. Nobody won.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
@Roogsy, we need multiple goal games. I was reading an American review of TFC online somewhere and we're known for defensive, gritty 1-0 games. Time for another goalscoring outburst

Nobody loves those types of games. It's antifootball and it's no way to win over new fans.

TFC has so gone in the wrong direction it's making me weep...

DangerRed
07-24-2010, 07:00 PM
It might be that everyone here feels it's absolutely sacrilegious to say something negative about our captain, but if you watch the replay of the leadup to the corner on which Dallas scored, DE RO FUCKED IT UP.

Sorry, but that's straight up. I had a clear look at it from where I was sitting and it was he who reacted poorly to admittedly a shitty move by Garcia.

Also, watch the replay of when De Ro had his header chance and Santos tried to get the rebound to put it away. De Ro straight up bitches at Santos for not giving it back to De Ro. Funny he should do that, given how many times De Ro should have passed today but didn't.

I don't know if it's money, age or just the dry streak that De Ro's been on lately, but something's changed about our cappy the last few games.

Still love the guy and hope he succeeds, but to hold him blameless for what happened today is ridiculous.

Just my $0.02.

TFCRegina
07-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Right on track for another season of frustration, sadly. But Maicon looks good.

rocker
07-24-2010, 07:03 PM
De Ro should never have been playing that ball back to Garcia.

Ya that whole fucked up play was De Ro's fault. He didn't see the Dallas guy so close to Garcia. I hate Garcia, but Garcia played it OUT of defense, and De Ro wasn't under that much pressure. De Ro then goes and basically passes it Dallas and Adrian Cann comes back to save the moment.

I thought De Ro had an average or below average game today. There was play that typified it -- he went down towards the southeast corner on a great run, but never passed or crossed, despite having Mista and someone else unmarked in the box. Then he plays himself into a dead end and the play goes nowhere. If he'd pass early, I'm sure Mista could have done something.

Pachuco
Shit man, I thought LaBrocca gave the ball away cheaply too many times today...

Lets also remember that the 1st half had horrible conditions...In the 2nd half i thought we totally out played Dallas...but we just gave them a corner that should never have happened and our marking by Gargan and Nana on the ensuing corner was weak!

Bottom line we gave them a tie!

This tie, had nothing to do with JDG...JDG played well for what was expected out of him in this game....

What in the world are you talking about. You are so fucking blind it's not even funny. Deguzman was fucking brutal

DichioTFC
It might be that everyone here feels it's absolutely sacrilegious to say something negative about our captain, but if you watch the replay of the leadup to the corner on which Dallas scored, DE RO FUCKED IT UP.

Sorry, but that's straight up. I had a clear look at it from where I was sitting and it was he who reacted poorly to admittedly a shitty move by Garcia.

Also, watch the replay of when De Ro had his header chance and Santos tried to get the rebound to put it away. De Ro straight up bitches at Santos for not giving it back to De Ro. Funny he should do that, given how many times De Ro should have passed today but didn't.

I don't know if it's money, age or just the dry streak that De Ro's been on lately, but something's changed about our cappy the last few games.

Still love the guy and hope he succeeds, but to hold him blameless for what happened today is ridiculous.

Just my $0.02.

Respect the opinion, but can't say that I agree.

Yes, DeRo screwed up on the give away, but Garcia's pass put DeRo in a tough spot. Defenders are told to kick it deep or out if there aren't any good options open. There simply werent.

Bitching between DeRo and Santos will invariably happen when two skilled players are on a team together with little experience with one another. I wouldn't take that too seriously... unless it keeps happening.

Overall DeRo didn't have his best game, but to pile on him like that is a tad unfair.

DichioTFC
07-24-2010, 07:05 PM
What in the world are you talking about. You are so fucking blind it's not even funny. Deguzman was fucking brutal

De Guz had a bad game. He had some good, skillful moments where he beat defenders off the ball 1v1, but his main job is to facilitate the passing game. When he gives bad passes, has a poor first touch, or otherwise gives the ball away, he deserves Garcia-treatment.

I like JDG, I want him to do well, but FFS, he needs to help out his cause.

ArmenJBX
07-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey, they could have scored on any of those corners, I don't blame De Rosario for that one.

However, Prekiball must come to an end. We have to keep scoring!

Inklink
07-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Let me rephrase. Garcia played better than he has in the past. I know that pass was boneheaded and you can put the goal on him partially, but I thought it he was okay at CB today. And I f'ing hate Nick Garcia and will be the happiest person the day he's shown the door.

Regarding DeGuzman, it's not that his play is DETRIMENTAL to the team, it's just that you'd expect more from a DP who has shown more in the past. Maybe it's the role he's given, maybe it's the physicality of the league, maybe it's an injury, or maybe it's disinterest. I don't know.

rocker
07-24-2010, 07:12 PM
a lot of bad passes by JDG today and not because of his teammates misreading his intentions. I'm still waiting to see his DP level talent.

Stryker
07-24-2010, 07:25 PM
More Garcia stupidity costs us points. Wonder if there's a calculator for that online somewhere?
Santos is quite good from what he's shown so far, hopefully it'll continue.
Barrett was excellent today. The best move for both Chad and the team would be to have him playing wide right in a 4-2-2-2 with DeRo on the oppisite side and Santos and Mista up top.

ag futbol
07-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey, they could have scored on any of those corners, I don't blame De Rosario for that one.

However, Prekiball must come to an end. We have to keep scoring!
I agree, the way the team packed it in, Dallas was bound to score. That's the most important lesson we should learn from this game.

Surrendering the corner, not the brightest move but Garcia didn't cause Gargan and Attakora to completely blow their marking assignments. That is really deserves more scorn than what Garcia did.

adam1001
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
I agree, the way the team packed it in, Dallas was bound to score. That's the most important lesson we should learn from this game.

Surrendering the corner, not the brightest move but Garcia didn't stop Gargan and Attakora from completely blowing their marking assignments.

It's also getting slightly ridiculous how many set pieces we are having without any results from them.

Apart from deros strike today I dont remember the last time we even hit the net from a set piece.

TFCRegina
07-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Surrendering the corner, not the brightest move but Garcia didn't stop Gargan and Attakora from completely blowing their marking assignments.

It's also getting slightly ridiculous how many set pieces we are having without any results from them.

We're so shite at set pieces that whenever I see us with the ball and a foul is committed, and we still have some form of possession, I hope the ref doesn't call it. It's absolutely unacceptable how badly we're converting the set pieces. It's utter SHITE.

LesH
07-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Very sad, but very true! :facepalm:

Soccer-Ts
07-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Overall DeRo didn't have his best game, but to pile on him like that is a tad unfair.

First of all pointing out a crucial mistake DeRo made is hardly "piling on" - it's just pointing out that he made a mistake that cost us a couple of points. He's not above criticism whether you like him or not.

I agree with DangerRed. It was an error in judgment on DeRo's part. Instead of taking a touch so he could control the ball he tapped it straight to the Dallas player. That kind of sloppy shit is unforgivable but especially so when 1) you're deep in your own end and there's no room/time to recover from a mistake and 2) it's late in the game and the opposition is pressing hard to salvage a result. That's when you have to play conservative and smart, requirements that seem beyond this team.

ilikemusic
07-24-2010, 08:14 PM
And the second half nose dive is off to another terrific start.

:facepalm:

Blixa
07-24-2010, 08:17 PM
1. We just can't close the deal lately.

2. DeRo is human. He's gonna fuck up from time to time.

3. Garcia is a twat. But you already knew that.

4. Good night everybody.

phonzo
07-24-2010, 08:17 PM
classic useless garcia and a terrible starting line-up by Preki. Only one forward to start...really?..at home?..really.

Oh well time to go dry out my clothes and shoes.

Pachuco
07-24-2010, 08:23 PM
We're so shite at set pieces that whenever I see us with the ball and a foul is committed, and we still have some form of possession, I hope the ref doesn't call it. It's absolutely unacceptable how badly we're converting the set pieces. It's utter SHITE.

Complelety agree. We miss Guevara in that sense. Although I'm hoping mista is up for takingon the role of tfc free kick specialist.

Gazza_55
07-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Let me rephrase. Garcia played better than he has in the past. I know that pass was boneheaded and you can put the goal on him partially, but I thought it he was okay at CB today. And I f'ing hate Nick Garcia and will be the happiest person the day he's shown the door.

Regarding DeGuzman, it's not that his play is DETRIMENTAL to the team, it's just that you'd expect more from a DP who has shown more in the past. Maybe it's the role he's given, maybe it's the physicality of the league, maybe it's an injury, or maybe it's disinterest. I don't know.

Maybe he is just not that good.

ArmenJBX
07-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, like it or not, de Guzman wasn't brought in as an exceptional talent, and, let's face it, if it wasn't for the fact that he is a Canadian, we wouldn't realistically want to sign him.

Oblio2
07-24-2010, 09:03 PM
De Guzman was awful today....

MoM for me was Labrocca....plays very solid

TFC USA
07-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Really? I thought Labrocca was poor with set pieces.

I'd give MOTM to Santos or even Frei because he bailed us out late.

RedsYNWA
07-24-2010, 09:10 PM
wow BORING !!!
when does the Premier League Begin

James17930
07-24-2010, 09:17 PM
I didn't see the game but I agree I don't like playing Sanyang and JDG at the same time. We don't need two DMs. We need more wing-play.

Davenport
07-24-2010, 09:20 PM
[This tie, had nothing to do with JDG...JDG played well for what was expected out of him in this game....[/quote]

What the fook are you on about ? Expected out of him in this game ?????
He's expected to be our best player. He gets ridiculous money and is our DP so he's expected to be the kingpin in the team.
When he doesn't perform (which is most of the time) he deserves stick.
He's shite..end of.

Oblio2
07-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Agreed. He was bad except for 1 pass....

Flipityflu
07-24-2010, 09:33 PM

well, look on the bright side...if it is another season of fustration, we get to see Mo fired at the end of it.

TFC USA
07-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Agreed to the JDG-criticizers. He was awful today and has no first touch at all, but then again the same could be said for the rest of them (in regards to first touch).

Let's use some other examples:

If Ron Artest goes 3-13 with 6 turnovers but hits the game-winning shot, does that mean he had a good game?

If Peyton Manning threw 4 interceptions but set up the winning touchdown, did he have a good game?

If Kevin Bieksa was called for 13 penalties in a game but scored the winning goal, did he have a good game?

My point is JDG did one very important thing, but it doesn't excuse his shittiness the full 90.

Juanito
07-24-2010, 09:53 PM
It was unfortunate that we couldn't close out the match and we should have won 2-0. However, I did find the match to be thoroughly entertaining (I decided to skip today's match and watch it from home), so I guess I have a different perspective.

The pace was there, the players were being aggressive ... I like that gritty football, I can appreciate it.

I think we're moving in the right direction. JDG should play a more central role, being stuck back there keeps him out of the play and makes people wonder why he's being paid top dollar.

If we played a 4-4-2 diamond, he should be anchoring that diamond from the back, with the freedom to move forward and basically become a second attacking mid. The way he is played, he is a glorified fullback.

I agree, Preki needs to be a little more adventurous, especially at home!!

Darlofletch
07-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Disappointing end to the game, but wow, there's some negative shit in this thread, which I feel is a bit unwarranted.
We played a good game, though after we scored we sat back and defended, which we really didn't have the line up to be doing effectively against a good team.

Overall I thought the defence really didn't inspire confidence but just about held it together, labrocca had a good game, and the midfield/forwards were better than usual, probably because we went with a more attacking line up, though I think de Ro's a bit wasted on the left wing, especially as he never once looked like he was going to take it down the line and do something with his left foot, which really should be at least an option for a left winger.

Nice goal, great move by de guzman to set it up, though he didn't have a great game aside from that, and though I haven't really seen a replay of the goal, it looked like horrible goalkeeping.

Mista had a good touch here and there but he looked really slow and not up to match fitness. Hopefully he'll get there soon.

As for the overly negative comments, this one really stood out to me.

That's the wettest I have ever been at BMO Field ever. I got absolutely soaked. Ugh...

Anyways...we all agreed that 3 points was needed and they didn't get it. Once again we fall victim to Prekiball where we get a lead and he decides to sit back and defend, subbing off offensive players for defensive players. WTF? When he did that most of us in the section agreed that it was only a matter of time before Dallas scored and low and behold, it happened. And we couldn't respond.

This team can barely score one goal per game, I can't remember the last time we scored more than one. We're not going far in the playoffs (if we make it) with that level of play.

BTW...I hate my section.

yeah, after we scored we seemed to play a lot more defensively which cost us the game. I'm pissed off about that, you're pissed off about that, but you know what, check the interviews on torontofc.ca, prekis' pissed off about it too, that's not what he wanted to happen. let's examine tfc's substitutions.

1, Sanyang for Mista. seems offensive to me
2, Hscanovics for Attakora, seems quite like for like, defensive for defensive, and dichiotfc, this was before dallas' goal so a bit unfair to blame "alpha soup" for the goal.
3 de ro for peterson, seems like winger for winger.

so when did the subbing off of offensive players for defensive players happen?

I know that your hate for preki is as big as your hard-on for De-Ro, but to blame this one on Preki and to say it was his tactics and "prekiball" that cost us this game is taking it to ridiculous extremes.

anyway, i'm drunk, and going to bed now.

TFC Cityboy
07-24-2010, 10:00 PM
keep playing like this and we'll get turfed out of the CCL at the first hurdle again and the MLS season will nosedive as it always tends to do from August onwards.
Mista and Maicon show great potential, but, Jeez, many of the matches this season have left me bored shitless.
This is a critical week and we need to be the 12th man bigstyle Tuesdi night.

nfitz
07-24-2010, 10:02 PM
That's the wettest I have ever been at BMO Field ever. I got absolutely soaked. Ugh...Oh ... I thought the Vancouver game was wetter ... maybe it was just colder ... though my wallet is no where near as wet as it was after Vancouver.

TFC Cityboy
07-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh ... I thought the Vancouver game was wetter ... maybe it was just colder ... though my wallet is no where near as wet as it was after Vancouver.

all I can say is we have 2 RPB ponchos, a TFC raincoat, 2 bootbags and a matchday program outside on the porch to dry.
Love rainy matchdays- it sorts the true fans from the "Toronto til it rains" fans.

nfitz
07-24-2010, 10:20 PM
all I can say is we have 2 RPB ponchos, a TFC raincoat, 2 bootbags and a matchday program outside on the porch to dry.
Love rainy matchdays- it sorts the true fans from the "Toronto til it rains" fans.And yet you have ponchos and raincoats :)

... it was too hot for that today. Shirt, shorts, and get wet ... it was lovely! And I was mostly dry when I got home.

I'm quite impressed with how full the place was with so much rain!

jazzy
07-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Ya that whole fucked up play was De Ro's fault. He didn't see the Dallas guy so close to Garcia. I hate Garcia, but Garcia played it OUT of defense, and De Ro wasn't under that much pressure. De Ro then goes and basically passes it Dallas and Adrian Cann comes back to save the moment.

I thought De Ro had an average or below average game today. There was play that typified it -- he went down towards the southeast corner on a great run, but never passed or crossed, despite having Mista and someone else unmarked in the box. Then he plays himself into a dead end and the play goes nowhere. If he'd pass early, I'm sure Mista could have done something.

this is the game in a nutshell...maybe Preki felt the same as DeRo was soon departed..also has DeRo gone back to his old selfserving ways?...He's not noticing his teammates. He is a great leader but does he work well with others?...Also why Sanyang as a starter?..and Garcia, we're simply suckers....why do we seem dull at times?

Darlofletch
07-24-2010, 10:33 PM
not sleeping, so more comments.

I've been really frustrated with some negative defensive lineups recently, but this wasn't one of them. maicon, Barrett and de Ro out there to start. mista comes on as a sub for sanyang, then even after we score, preki's not taking off forwards for defenders, so it's really unfair to criticise preki for negatibvity today.

Darlofletch
07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
On the goal, what the fuck was garcia doing passing it around to frei and then de ro. get that shit out of there.

all of you who complain about the long ball, and say we should be playing a nicer, more fluid passing style, what do you have to say about the goal. It's be nice if we could pass our way out of defence more often, and once or twice we did today, but let's face it we don't have the players to be taking that kind of risk, and there's a time and place, and right in the corner with lots of dallas players pressing? that's not the time. row 33 that shit if you have to, just get it out.

Darlofletch
07-24-2010, 10:40 PM
sanyang, had one of his better games I thought, did some really good passes and didn't really do any bad ones, but for fucks sake stop with the faking and the flopping. that time in the first half where he got tripped, then rolled over 4 times, before getting up as if nothing happened? fucking disgraceful.

jazzy
07-24-2010, 10:43 PM
well, look on the bright side...if it is another season of fustration, we get to see Mo fired at the end of it.

what makes you so sure?.....believe it when I see it and wait another 4 years

rocker
07-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Sanyang. I dunno. normally I like his rough-tough style but today he had that rash challenge and three instances of awful first touch leading to giveaways.

Darlofletch
07-24-2010, 10:56 PM
after watching game in 6, really reminded what a douche dallas' number 7 was after he scored. and also how well de Ro did on their breakaway after a corner early.

before we took the corner, me and mrs darlofletch were joking about what a disaster waiting to happen it was that our two covering defenders were hscanovics and garcia, and it very nearly fucked us, but de ro did a great job running back to cover.

jazzy
07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Sanyang. I dunno. normally I like his rough-tough style but today he had that rash challenge and three instances of awful first touch leading to giveaways.

not on Sangyang's case but he is a jr....really, and could do with gaining experience, coming off the bench, I don't like saying he's too eager, but patience can be a virtue and a 'head' for the game.....Call me crazy but when I saw our starting line up, I felt dissappointed and not that confident of winning....I feel TFC has climaxed for the year, we have been playing above our abilities in the first of the year, now DeRo is VERY tired, dare I say burnt out........I'd love to be wrong, and..... on their goal everyone is standing around..and 1 short forward beats 5 men for a header!...at the end of the game that we were winning?

TFCtoMUFC
07-24-2010, 11:46 PM
wow BORING !!!
when does the Premier League Begin

For you it will end in December anyway.

Keystone FC
07-25-2010, 12:32 AM
As soon as Santos scored I thought, 'Here we go with bunker ball.' and Preki didn't disapoint. I could understand this method if we were up by 2 goals, a man down, and there was 2 minutes left in added time. This is MLS...you press forward and expand on the lead. Especially againt a club like Dallas who have been on a hot streak lately. Giving them field position and going in defense mode with a one goal lead with THAT mauch time left is just...I don't know.
***Bright note***
Santos goal was a marvel. I didn't think it went in until everyone piled on top of him. I thought it went behind the goal.
***End of Bright note***
Don't get me on Garcia. As one who played defense Garcias back pass was a total brainfuk on his part. If he was having trouble with the ball or the FCD player on him kick it to the other side of the pitch, up field, or out of bounds. NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! kick it back to your own goal when there were that many of the enemy around.

Jeff s
07-25-2010, 12:48 AM

Tell me about it. I think the DP money is blinding some fans here. They expect him to play as if he's the fifa mvp or something. He had a good game, I don't get this lazy bullshit. He runs more than anyone else, he creates space for him and his teammates, got the assist, wth you guys want from this guy?

TFC offensively looked better, after the goal, they sat back to much. No idea why this team keeps doing this.

Blizzard
07-25-2010, 12:52 AM

Once Saric is fit, he'll be back in the starting 11 and Amadou will be on the bench.

Blizzard
07-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Tell me about it. I think the DP money is blinding some fans here. They expect him to play as if he's the fifa mvp or something. He had a good game, I don't get this lazy bullshit. He runs more than anyone else, he creates space for him and his teammates, got the assist, wth you guys want from this guy?

+1

Hey, he's not perfect but disinterested? Not a chance.

TheKing7
07-25-2010, 12:56 AM
JDG has done little to impress me since he's signed with the club. He's too small and fragile to be playing in the middle of the park in such a physical league.

It may be a viable option to put DeGuzman out wide. If I remember correctly, he played down the right flank against Seattle earlier this season in a game which was arguably his best in a TFC uniform. I think his quickness, technical ability and delivery could be the service we need from the wings.

TFC_Central
07-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Besides the pass to maicon, deguzman has been absolute shit. Its really starting to piss me off. Sanyang hasnt been good either. Get one of them off the field and start mista instead. Dero has been invisible lately as well. Fuck.........

lol deguz had a bad game and now he is absolute shite! All abord Hater-rail to hater ville, please be seated for your complementary hater aide.

Fuck guys. Think before you type. for ex. when i hate on chad barrett its for missing 2-3 chances a game consistently. Not for one bad showing. If you notice when deguz gets the ball, his head is up and he immediatley looks to play it forward. So when he cant play it forward is that his fault? NO its the other mid's not getting into an open position. So now on tfc. deguz has to beat 2 guys, then lay it off ..... lets not all get collective tunnel vision on the ball, when in consequence most of the play is already determined without it.

/2cents

Laurignano
07-25-2010, 01:31 AM
I thought we were going to maybe see DeRo go back to his more natural attacking mid-field position instead of the attacking from the wing this game. I feel like he is less effective out wide...I'd like to see his flair and play making abilities in the centre of the park. I was hoping with the addition of Mista we will be able to play Santos and Mista up front, put Barrett (he hustles and wins the ball) on the wing and DeRo attacking mid.

Dub Narcotic
07-25-2010, 01:41 AM
I thought De Ro was the worst TFC attacker today, for reasons people have already eludicated here. The problem with the team is that they score so little that there is no margin for error when a defensive mistake happens. I thought Garcia was fine today, much better than I expected. Hscaniovics is a far worse overall player and more of a liability than Garcia. And, don't forget, it was Gargan who lost his man to give up the goal.

Yohan
07-25-2010, 01:45 AM
give credit where it's due. Garcia had a good game that showed why he was one of better MLS defenders just 2 years ago. yeah that pass was bad, but on wet pitch where a lot of players were missing passes and slipping all over the place, c'mon. let's be more objective.

I want Garcia gone too, but that screw up was more of DeRo's fault than Garcia.

DichioTFC
07-25-2010, 02:21 AM
give credit where it's due. Garcia had a good game that showed why he was one of better MLS defenders just 2 years ago. yeah that pass was bad, but on wet pitch where a lot of players were missing passes and slipping all over the place, c'mon. let's be more objective.

I want Garcia gone too, but that screw up was more of DeRo's fault than Garcia.

Bad pass by Garcia, bad return pass by DeRo, bad defending by CanNana. All deserve the blame. But still, it was only one play.. yes the play that cost us the game, but the lack of attack was more of a concern than a attack-minded, hot team scoring on a set piece.

Super
07-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Tough draw, but we'll take it.

ZERO voice left after the game, as usual. See you on Tuesday!!

Flipityflu
07-25-2010, 07:57 AM
what makes you so sure?.....believe it when I see it and wait another 4 years

do you really think that if we don't make the playoffs this year, he would still be here? i'm totally convinced Mo would be fired.

that said, i think we will make the playoffs.

phonzo
07-25-2010, 08:15 AM
as an aside..if anyone noticed who tossed the beer cup from 113 and hit our capo please give them a friendly nudge and remind them not to be a complete and utter douche. Same goes for the fucking wrapper i got hit with.

And no these weren't accidental tosses that didn't make it to the pitch.

Yohan
07-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Bad pass by Garcia, bad return pass by DeRo, bad defending by CanNana. All deserve the blame. But still, it was only one play.. yes the play that cost us the game, but the lack of attack was more of a concern than a attack-minded, hot team scoring on a set piece.

yeah it was more of a collective fuck up than individual one. brutal marking by gargan/attakora on that douche's header goal

i didn't think the offence wasn't bad, because i felt TFC had more creativity going than Dallas the entire game. sitting back 1 goal up has bitten TFC in the ass more often than not... felt like I was watching the team relapse into Carver era mentality after going 1 up

maninb
07-25-2010, 08:51 AM
"Hscaniovics is a far worse overall player and more of a liability than Garcia."......Not a bloody chance!!! Hscaniovics may not be great but he doesn't consistently cost us points like Garcia....I'd wager Garcia ALONE has directly or indirectly cost us 5-6 ponits this year...He's got no business being on the park, except he's Preki's & Mo's pal...and Sanyang is utter crap.....

Heathen
07-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Fair play to Garcia thought he did ok, especially after such a traumatic week what with his parasailing incident in Russia (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10695037)

London
07-25-2010, 09:05 AM
as an aside..if anyone noticed who tossed the beer cup from 113 and hit our capo please give them a friendly nudge and remind them not to be a complete and utter douche. Same goes for the fucking wrapper i got hit with.

And no these weren't accidental tosses that didn't make it to the pitch.

add the peanuts that were coming from somewhere .

FluSH
07-25-2010, 09:10 AM

It may be a viable option to put DeGuzman out wide. If I remember correctly, he played down the right flank against Seattle earlier this season in a game which was arguably his best in a TFC uniform. I think his quickness, technical ability and delivery could be the service we need from the wings.

It's a hard call... JDG should be drawing in defenders so he can then pass the ball and set the plays... working from the wing might be too limited and I've yet to see him making runs... I can't see him doing it... However, I do think that JDG needs to be a bit more selfish before dishing the ball...

FluSH
07-25-2010, 09:16 AM
add the peanuts that were coming from somewhere .

What in the world is going on??? People throwing shit1!! WTF... send me a pm with the details...

wzhxvy
07-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I went to speak to Mike because a bunch of people brought security down to accuse a poor innocent guy of throwing that beer cup. Not to mention all the death glares and insults coming from 112 after the incident. Some girl in row 2 in 113 threw the beer at the capo...I dont get it...she cant be that bright but I dont agree with ratting people out to security and thats a personal choice of mine...people who want to do that...go nuts...but you should have the right person and not accuse someone who had nothing to do with it. I think whoever owns those seats...row 113, row 2....seats 7 to 11 (I guess...I was sitting in row 4, seats 11/10 and she was directly two rows below me), someones needs to have a chat with the owner of the seats...

TFCtoMUFC
07-25-2010, 09:41 AM
I went to speak to Mike because a bunch of people brought security down to accuse a poor innocent guy of throwing that beer cup. Not to mention all the death glares and insults coming from 112 after the incident. Some girl in row 2 in 113 threw the beer at the capo...I dont get it...she cant be that bright but I dont agree with ratting people out to security and thats a personal choice of mine...people who want to do that...go nuts...but you should have the right person and not accuse someone who had nothing to do with it. I think whoever owns those seats...row 113, row 2....seats 7 to 11 (I guess...I was sitting in row 4, seats 11/10 and she was directly two rows below me), someones needs to have a chat with the owner of the seats...

I was in row 1 of 113, but standing on the seats and I wish someone had pointed her out. That is the second game in a row (Bolton game as well) where someone in 113 threw a beer, and the useless security guy at field level had no idea who did it.

wzhxvy
07-25-2010, 09:44 AM
The only amusing element of the situation was the innocent guy (after a bunch of people had told security it was not him) thanking people for helping him because "I was arrested before and I dont want to do it again"...lol....good stuff.

London
07-25-2010, 09:46 AM
^^^ security were there in a flash, they said it was the guy in the black hat.

i seen the cup fly and they were there before me

i thought it was a certain guy but the u-sector guys said differently so i left it alone.

if i witness someone throwing shit, i 100% will turn you in, you can say all you want about "don't be a rat" but i am not a rapper and i could care less what people think of me, but i will be in the stadium and you will be at home jerking you meat

FluSH
07-25-2010, 09:47 AM

I hate to put myself in those shoes if I was in the capo stand, but shit would have gone down... I wouldn't touch a girl but if she was there with her Boyfriend... Well you better control your girlfriend or face the consequences...

FluSH
07-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know what this chick looks like? Who is she there with? If shit ever gets thrown at me I will consider that a personal attack and shit will get Hostile REAL motherfucking quick...

Juanito
07-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Don't want to start a shitfest but we should "rat people out". The alternative is that security stops trusting us even more so and the match day experience goes down the pooper. They would be all over us like a bad post-apocalyptic police state!!

We aren't supposed to do it, and we shouldn't encourage that sort of behaviour.

My two cents is all ....

Juanito
07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know what this chick looks like? Who is she there with? If shit ever gets thrown at me I will consider that a personal attack and shit will get Hostile REAL motherfucking quick...

Remind me NOT to get on your bad side "jefe"!!!

wzhxvy
07-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Flush, you are married right ? lol I dont believe controling your bitch is part of my marital responsibilities. Regardless, its a very stupid act...to rat or not to rat is a personal choice...I just think you better be sure its the right person.

FluSH
07-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Don't want to start a shitfest but we should "rat people out". The alternative is that security stops trusting us even more so and the match day experience goes down the pooper. They would be all over us like a bad post-apocalyptic police state!!

My two cents is all ....

Well it's either

1) You get Security involve

2) You get a beat down... and you will get a beat down.

Juanito
07-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Flush, you are married right ? lol I dont believe controling your bitch is part of my marital responsibilities. Regardless, its a very stupid act...to rat or not to rat is a personal choice...I just think you better be sure its the right person.

I'm married, and yes, my bitch is controlled .... just never tell her that or I'm dead!!! :D

FluSH
07-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Read my second response... If that shit happens I better receive a personal apology from the motherfucker with both the bitch and him leaving the stadium mid-game voluntarily... otherwise shit will get heated.

wzhxvy
07-25-2010, 09:56 AM
^^^ security were there in a flash, they said it was the guy in the black hat.

i seen the cup fly and they were there before me

i thought it was a certain guy but the u-sector guys said differently so i left it alone.

if i witness someone throwing shit, i 100% will turn you in, you can say all you want about "don't be a rat" but i am not a rapper and i could care less what people think of me, but i will be in the stadium and you will be at home jerking you meat

As I said, its a personal choice in my opinion. Its very difficult without cameras (I hate to say it)...the innocent guy was standing on his seat I think...and so it looks like it came from him...but it didnt, and thats the danger in these situations. I dont know how she thought it was OK to do that...I just dont get people...

Vep
07-25-2010, 09:58 AM
The girl was with 2 other girls.... but towards the end of the game she was only with one other girl. The reason people may have thought it was the guy in the black hat was because he was standing on the chair and the girl right below him threw it. So from above it may look like it was him.

She has definitely been at the games before because the people around her KNEW her...and if i saw her again i would recognize her.

wzhxvy
07-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Read my second response... If that shit happens I better receive a personal apology from the motherfucker with both the bitch and him leaving the stadium mid-game voluntarily... otherwise shit will get heated.

Flush, who knows if she had a guy with her or not. It comes down to who owns those seats and holding them accountable...and in my opinion having non supporters in a supporter section is one of the key issues...we get our own section, most of the problems are solved...we dont...this stuff will keep getting worse because its a revolving door and you almost have to educate people on an ongoing basis, and the regulars get frustrated and tempers boil.

Roogsy
07-25-2010, 10:04 AM

My two cents is all ....

Well...I did tell the guys, there are two choices here. Rat them out or deal with them ourselves. So in the interest of not having any problems int he section, let's choose to rat them out first I think. They'd better pray that we aren't forced to choose the 2nd option.

ManUtd4ever
07-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised with the cohesive effort of the Reds yesterday, disappointed with the draw as a result of a needless corner kick. Overall, I thought TFC played their best match in quite some time as they created several offensive sequences that should have resulted in 2-3 goals. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that TFC has earned 1 out of a possible 6 points in the last 2 matches that should have resulted in at least 4 points. Until TFC proves that thay can consistently earn victories on the road, the recent results at BMO Field will prove to be the club's downfall down the stretch...

koryo
07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Well, where to begin about yesterday?

It seems to be that yesterday's failure to win was a tactical failure. We conceded the initiative almost immediately after scoring and let Dallas play their way back into the game. Is that by design? Also didn't look like 4-4-2 yesterday. Again, intentional or no? If starting Garcia was bad enough, then not removing him for Attakora is not only unforgivable, but a dereliction of duty on Preki's part.

That's eight points dropped at home now. Any thoughts we might have had about seeing the post season can be forgotten. Columbus have hit a rich vein of form, and New York will likely walk the eastern conference now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Preki has taken this team as far as he can. Both he and Johnston need removing in the coming close-season.

Between his nearly blind faith in Garcia, and that he doesn't even set up an attacking formation at home, Preki wants bloody shooting.

Roogsy
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Personally I didn't see much wrong with Garcia yesterday. Although seeing him as the lone CB back there standing beside Cunny I was thinking to myself "Cunny is going to burn him bad!"

koryo
07-25-2010, 10:42 AM
We'll just agree to disagree (for a change) on that one Roogs. Now, my opinion of him is highly biased because as far as I'm concerned, he's a liability in every game he plays. So whether or not he really was so poor yesterday, for me, doesn't matter.

Is that fair on the balance of his play yesterday? Probably not.

Is that fair on the balance of his play throughout his time at TFC? Most definitely.

Roogsy
07-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh for sure...in my opinion, Garcia is not a shit defender. He is a defender past his prime. Two different things. Garcia has had a long and successful career. That doesn't happen when you're shit. But as it stands, I don't think he belongs on TFC right now unless it's off the bench.

As for Preki, I agree with you. I think he is a competent coach but not an exceptional one. He has shown that going back to basics work. But what he hasn't shown is an ability to go beyond basics and show intuitiveness and creativity. And there have been several boneheaded moves that have cost us points. I am grateful he has brought stability to the team but if the goal is to excel, I just don't think he is the man for the job either.

koryo
07-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Oh for sure...in my opinion, Garcia is not a shit defender. He is a defender past his prime. Two different things. Garcia has had a long and successful career. That doesn't happen when you're shit. But as it stands, I don't think he belongs on TFC right now unless it's off the bench.

As for Preki, I agree with you. I think he is a competent coach but not an exceptional one. He has shown that going back to basics work. But what he hasn't shown is an ability to go beyond basics and show intuitiveness and creativity. And there have been several boneheaded moves that have cost us points. I am grateful he has brought stability to the team but if the goal is to excel, I just don't think he is the man for the job either.

Spot on Roogs.

anto7
07-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree with a lot of good points made here. I remember turning to my buddy 5 minutes after we scored and saying why the hell are we sitting back again. I thought we played well up to our goal, by far the better team. So it was very frustrating to see us not continuing to play the same way.
I did however see glimpses that give me hope, particularly the possibilities between the link up play between Mista, Santos, Deguz, Barrett and Dero. I am hopeful that another couple of games together that we could see some big improvements.

shaggingscot
07-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm fed up with glimpses of hope and how players past their prime are playing or how our DP isn't a real DP. We're dropping too many points at home, it's a fucking disgrace. We're not good enough away from home to keep doing this!

They keep this up and they won't have a pot to piss in with regards to the playoffs.

reggie
07-25-2010, 11:33 AM
diff year same shit...we cant fucking score...

GOOD BYE MO

TFC USA
07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Now is a time to tell you that in 16 league games we've only scored 2 or more goals a grand total of 4 times.

vs. Philadelphia 2-1, vs. Seattle 2-0, vs. Chicago 4-1, @ San Jose 3-1.

Tragic.

canadian_bhoy
07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Now is a time to tell you that in 16 league games we've only scored 2 or more goals a grand total of 4 times.

Tragic.

on top of the fact that Preki's style is probably the most boring thing I've ever seen, it's also a knife edge.

When we win 1-0 or take a point with a hard fought 1-1 draw, he looks like a genius. But the downside of his style is that one bad kick of the ball and 3 points turns into 1 or as we saw in Philly, none.

The system also tends to only work during the regular season. The points we'll take off crappy teams add up and look good on us, plus getting a draw against a top opponent is a good result as well. But when you get to post season and Theirry Henry is ramming it down your throat, I'm not sure how successful the defensive minded strategy will take us.

It also doesn't help that DeGuz seems only interested in passing to Dero. Our wing was so wide open yesterday, but nothing.

rocker
07-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Tragic.

Tragic? That's normal for MLS. is MLS tragic then? that's another debate.
If you look at scoring across the league, TFC is pretty much average.

The best team in the league on points, the Galaxy, only scores at a rate of 1.61 per game (less than 2 goals, which was your qualifying condition for "tragic.") By my calculation, RSL leads the league with 1.70 goals scored per game.

Really it's not how many goals you score, it's your ratio of goals scored to goals against that matters most.

JuliquE
07-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe everyone would prefer if we were -17 or so, on goal differential.

Preki is defence first -- sure.. but he was a forward-thinking player and has many of times expressed how important it is not to sit back and invite pressure; he just doesn't like to see us giving up silly goals and he will be the first to stand up for the players if they left it all out on the pitch and were still beat (as has been the case, before).

He can't work miracles and will be limited to the talent he's got to work from.

We've overcome our leaky back line and have begun to address our attack, with recent additions and something of a more attack-minded starting 11.

TIME TIME TIME TIME!!!1~ Allow it.

rocker
07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
But when you get to post season and Theirry Henry is ramming it down your throat, I'm not sure how successful the defensive minded strategy will take us.

That's a pretty unique example. I can't think of any MLS team since I started watching in 2007 that went streamrolling offensively through the playoffs.

Anyways, TFC needs to get to the playoffs first before we can even begin to know if Preki's strategy will work in the playoffs.

jloome
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I thought De Ro was the worst TFC attacker today, for reasons people have already eludicated here. The problem with the team is that they score so little that there is no margin for error when a defensive mistake happens. I thought Garcia was fine today, much better than I expected. Hscaniovics is a far worse overall player and more of a liability than Garcia. And, don't forget, it was Gargan who lost his man to give up the goal.

Funnily, Hscanovic is much better going forward than back. He's a pretty serviceable winger by MLS standards. Can't defend for shit, though.

The DeGuzman hate on is unjustified. To me, he's usually one of our better players, in a thankless role. He's a defensive midfielder, a holder, not the offensive cog everyone seems to be making him out to be.

Look at it this way: as much as I loved Robbo, Julian is twice the player. So we upgraded the position.

I think Garcia's day is obviously done. He's a backup player, but right now, with no solid starting left back, he's not a bad option there. He's not a good option; but he's not an awful one.

DeRo has been a 50/50 guy for two or three seasons now: he either gets some space and dominates the game, or he's crowded out, ball hogs and does the offence more harm than good. Some of that, however, goes on the fact that our support play and off the ball movement, especially in the offensive end, continues to be shit.

We seem to have one goal right now, to cross the ball into a crowded box. There's no attempt at counterattacking football, there's no attempt at high pressure on the backline through the middle, there's very little offensive tactical creativity at all.

Playing hard man-to-man football full-field will make you a break-even club in MLS. But the league is bigger now, and that's not going to win anything significant.

Darlofletch
07-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Tragic.

It is a pretty sad stat but with the signing of mista and maicon, it looks like we're trying to address that problem.

I'm a little puzzled at the expectations people have. Last season was a fiasco, and we needed to rebuild, and we've got to the stage where we're generally a hard team to play against and score against, which is a very good platform. Yeah it's frustrating that we don't currently score all that much, but we've got to the stage now where we can hopefully add more skilled players and be able to become a more attacking and threatening team while maintaining that initial solidity.

Will we get there under preki? i'm not sure, but I'm quite happy with where we've got to so far, I thought this season was going to be a bit of a write off, and it'd take us most of the year to get to this point.

It sucks that year 4 turned into another year one but if we're not even going to give preki a full season before we start writing him off, then we're never going to get anywhere, and year 5 will be another gm/coach's year one, then year 6 will be another gm/coach's year one and so on and so forth. Is a little bit of patience too much to ask.

Darlofletch
07-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe everyone would prefer if we were -17 or so, on goal differential.

Preki is defence first -- sure.. but he was a forward-thinking player and has many of times expressed how important it is not to sit back and invite pressure; he just doesn't like to see us giving up silly goals and he will be the first to stand up for the players if they left it all out on the pitch and were still beat (as has been the case, before).

We've overcome our leaky back line and have begun to address our attack, with recent additions and something of a more attack-minded starting 11.

TIME TIME TIME TIME!!!1~ Allow it.

+ a lot.

Blizzard
07-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Funnily, Hscanovic is much better going forward than back. He's a pretty serviceable winger by MLS standards. Can't defend for shit, though.

The DeGuzman hate on is unjustified. To me, he's usually one of our better players, in a thankless role. He's a defensive midfielder, a holder, not the offensive cog everyone seems to be making him out to be.

Look at it this way: as much as I loved Robbo, Julian is twice the player. So we upgraded the position.

I think Garcia's day is obviously done. He's a backup player, but right now, with no solid starting left back, he's not a bad option there. He's not a good option; but he's not an awful one.

DeRo has been a 50/50 guy for two or three seasons now: he either gets some space and dominates the game, or he's crowded out, ball hogs and does the offence more harm than good. Some of that, however, goes on the fact that our support play and off the ball movement, especially in the offensive end, continues to be shit.

We seem to have one goal right now, to cross the ball into a crowded box. There's no attempt at counterattacking football, there's no attempt at high pressure on the backline through the middle, there's very little offensive tactical creativity at all.

Playing hard man-to-man football full-field will make you a break-even club in MLS. But the league is bigger now, and that's not going to win anything significant.

I think I pretty much agree with everything you've just said. I'd even go so far as to say that JDG is 3 or 4 times the player Robbo was (and I wasn't an anti-Robbo type).

In terms of the offensive tactical creativity, I'm hoping the fresh blood up front will have an influence on the type of game we play up there.

While Mista may not have achieved anything in terms of concrete yet, he shows his class on virtually every touch of the ball and every off the ball run he makes.

LesH
07-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Tragic.

Good point.
We can go further from here and telling that:

This season we had only 3 clear wins from a total of 16 games played (clear win = win by at least 2 goals.)

Tragic.

nfitz
07-25-2010, 02:07 PM
give credit where it's due. Garcia had a good game ...When I watched the replay, the commentators on CBC were fingering Garcia for unnecessarily giving the ball away and conceding the corner that lead to the goal. Among other culprits.

spark
07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Tragic? That's normal for MLS. is MLS tragic then? that's another debate.
If you look at scoring across the league, TFC is pretty much average

Such lofty expectations - Three cheers for being average!

DangerRed
07-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Whoa, what? You want to toss Preki after 16 games, the first few of which were a delayed preseason and featured a revolving door of players?

Sorry, that's more than a little rash.

End of the day, it's the 11 on the field who are playing and Preki can only do so much when it's actually go-time. I agree, there have been boneheaded strategies and substitutions and starts a few times, but that pales in comparison in the shitshow that our boys put on each matchday.

This is a problem of talent. You can't teach creativity. You can teach, sharpen and build skill, for sure, but talent and creativity are innate abilities.

We need to focus a bit here a bit on the mindset and endurance of the players when criticizing Preki. Team sport. Can't blame one man.

ag futbol
07-25-2010, 04:50 PM
i
Sorry but this is the same coach who's moniker is basically "I will sacrifice talent for effort". He values players who he can grind above all else, so now he's got to live with the fact he's got a bunch of guys who listen to directions as well as they can but aren't as skillful.

This team tries hard, they generally keep their shape (unlike TFC of yester-year) and they do as directed. This team fell back and defended because that's what's being drilled into their heads every day in practice.

Overall we're still doing well, but this team has to kick it's slump. Preki (and our overall direction) still gets an incomplete in my books at this point.

DoubleUp
07-25-2010, 04:50 PM
I thin preki is a decent coach. But now we've brought structure to the team and add some new signings, we have to Identify the first 11 and get the best football out of that group of guys and it will trickle down to the rest of the squad. I think this next phase we should stress movement and final third execution.

Dub Narcotic
07-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree with many of the posts. It's easy to forget that this team is still coming together up top and in the midfield. Now, TFC won't get back those points they threw away recently but they are much better positioned to grind out some results on the road than the TFC of previous years.

Darlofletch
07-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Tragic.

Another way to look at things, in our last 15 games in all competitions, we've let in more than one goal only once.

season as a whole, 5 times out of 21 games.

not too shabby.

JuliquE
07-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Sorry but this is the same coach who's moniker is basically "I will sacrifice talent for effort". He values players who he can grind above all else, so now he's got to live with the fact he's got a bunch of guys who listen to directions as well as they can but aren't as skillful.

This team tries hard, they generally keep their shape (unlike TFC of yester-year) and they do as directed. This team fell back and defended because that's what's being drilled into their heads every day in practice.

Overall we're still doing well, but this team has to kick it's slump. Preki (and our overall direction) still gets an incomplete in my books at this point.
He considers it more important, yeh.. but that he doesn't value talent is merely a myth; he, in his last post-game reaction, acknowledges how important Mista's quality is and will be for the club. He would love to have talented guys in, so long as they're devout to the cause.

Perhaps you're privy to what exactly they run through in practice, with the way you speak of what's drilled in their minds (I don't mean that sarcastically, either) -- I know that I'm not.. but, from what I've heard the players speak about, it's more balanced than your comments would suggest.

I don't think Preki would have the players on his side if he was kicking their ass about defence ONLY, in practice and then losing his mind, on the sidelines, when that's all they do, at points when they drop off and invite pressure; the more outspoken lads would have hinted at the hypocrisy, I think.

Well.. I suppose we will all draw our own conclusions and I don't see too huge a gap between ours, I just interpret a few things differently.

DoubleUp
07-25-2010, 05:37 PM
If we buried all the opportunities we got in these games, we could resort to defending what we have because we would already be 2-3 goals up......we need execution now more than ever. We have the hard working squad, now we need to execute !

CoachGT
07-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Last season was a fiasco, and we needed to rebuild, and we've got to the stage where we're generally a hard team to play against and score against, which is a very good platform.

I have an issue with the bolded part. Last year, the fiasco was that we lost a bunch of games late. The general consensus by most was that we were, realistically, one or two players from being a playoff team. The off season rhetoric seemed to confirm that - expect only a few changes to the lineup. One of the knocks against us was that we've had a revolving door or players and nobody - coaches, players and fans alike - thought that was a good idea. That's not how most championship teams in any sport are built.

That isn't rebuilding - that's upgrading a few pieces.

Instead, the new coach comes in and says that it will take time to build a winner (he even said it may not be this year in at least one interview). We see a lot of turnover.

Are we better than we were last year? I'm not 100% sure. We're stronger defensively (at least in the middle), were about even in the midfield, and we're a touch behind up front. Perhaps that will change with Mista and Santos. With another year under his belt Frei is just that much stronger. We seem to have continued with our difficulties scoring.

But I still think we're playing well enough not to lose but not good enough to win.

CoachGT
07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
The system also tends to only work during the regular season. The points we'll take off crappy teams add up and look good on us, plus getting a draw against a top opponent is a good result as well.

There's a lot of truth here.

ArmenJBX
07-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Coach, we are way better now then last year. Last year was cringe-worthy, horrible football. Last year we couldn't pass the ball better then a house league team. At least this year we are playing something resembling football.

Player for player as well, I think we're better.

Gargan>Wynne
Cann>Serioux
Garcia<Brennan
LaBrocca>Cronin
Mista>OBW
Maicon>Barrett

CoachGT
07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I think we are better in spots. I've reserved judgement on Mista and Santos until they play a little more. I disagree with Garcia over Brennan and LaBrocca over Cronin - Cronin plays a role more like Sanyang or Saric than Labrocca, so it is hadly a role for role comparison. And Brennan brought a little more speed and equal creativity to the outside than Garcia does. As for the others you list, I agree. And OBW didn't play much last year - he didn't start playing until the end of July and never really broke into a solid starting role.

Last year I'm not sure that the issue was passing. I think there were other issues, most notably the central defender role. I still think we're roughly the same this year right now, but Mista and Santos may resolve some issues in scoring going forward.

Parkdale
07-26-2010, 10:11 AM
re: the beer tossing girl

- people need to understand that throwing a beer will get you ejected.
The 'innocent guy' might not have thrown the beer, and he could have just
been trying to keep his girl from getting in trouble (which most people would do)

I don't mind coming off like a jerk as long as the message is loud and fucking clear:
Stop Throwing Shit - there is zero excuse for it.

I spoke with the usector guys after the game and they explained that the girl who
tossed the beer wasn't part of their group and has done BS in the past. Hopefully
she gets the point that beer tossing will get you ejected.

Parkdale
07-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Some girl in row 2 in 113 threw the beer at the capo...I dont get it...she cant be that bright but I dont agree with ratting people out to security and thats a personal choice of mine...people who want to do that...go nuts...but you should have the right person and not accuse someone who had nothing to do with it. I think whoever owns those seats...row 113, row 2....seats 7 to 11 (I guess...I was sitting in row 4, seats 11/10 and she was directly two rows below me), someones needs to have a chat with the owner of the seats...

according to the people in 113 who came over after, girl is from row 7 or 8 and often moved town to the front mid game.

In the end, if people saw her throw the beer then they should have told security it was here when they went in for the other guy who was just too close to the action.

I don't think it's 'ratting out' when the consequences are so absolutely fucking terrible.

http://theworldofthefence.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/fences_005.177203154_std.jpg

P-NUTZ
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
the last two years i wanted to light the whole dam place on fire for what i had to witness.

Preki and the current team are a huge upgrade. garcia and getting busted flat footed on two corner kicks in two games needs to be solved. Garcia caused both corner kicks and regardless they gotta stay physical and battle on set plays into thier own box.

Garcia is replaceable and box blunders are coachable.

I dont like seeing wins slip away, but WE ARE NOT THE SAME CRAP TEAM, we are better individually and mentally as a group and getting results.

So i feel the best is still to come this year in the big picture, even if some of these growing pains hurt.

phonzo
07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
sooooo you would like people to stand on the capo stand and get shit thrown at them by randoms? Honestly there is no excuse for what she did and at the very least she could have come up to us after we raged and apologized if it was an accident.

I'm sure she would appreciate getting a beer tossed at her.

wzhxvy
07-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Stupid people do very stupid things when they drink...

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Another way to look at things, in our last 15 games in all competitions, we've let in more than one goal only once.

season as a whole, 5 times out of 21 games.

not too shabby.

But considering our record is 6-5-5, which barely gets us into the playoffs right now, the problem is scoring.

Darlofletch
07-26-2010, 02:01 PM
absolutely, but our problem used to be letting goals in, we fixed that, now our problems scoring, and we just signed two forwards, including a dp to address that. Hopefully that will work.

We're obviously by no means the finished article, but we're getting there.

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Our problems with conceding goals ended when Stefan Frei happened.

I heard Stefan Frei once blocked a leaking dam.

FluSH
07-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't think it's 'ratting out' when the consequences are so absolutely fucking terrible.

Exactly... People need to stop using street terms like ratting out if they don't know what it means...

Exhibit A

If I am selling drugs, human trafficking, or making money illegally somehow and I decided to call the cops or squeal on another head who is also making money illegally then that's ratting out...

Custis also qualify above since they're fucking getting high on illegal drugs.

Exhibit B

In our case, if we use flares at home and then snitch on a fellow support for doing the same at another game... that's ratting out.

Exhibit C

If you decide to smash the window of your neighbourhood weed man (for shits and giggles) and somehow it gets reported to the Police before you're in ICU... that shit is not ratting out.

Now back to our case:

Exhibit D

If you throw beer at another fellow supporter you're a fucking Moron (just like exhibit C) and deserve a pounding to the face or at the very least get the fuck kicked out of the game. That shit is not ratting out.

Now please for the love of God.... please stop throwing terms around...

Rudi
07-26-2010, 06:20 PM
re: the beer tossing girl

- people need to understand that throwing a beer will get you ejected.
The 'innocent guy' might not have thrown the beer, and he could have just
been trying to keep his girl from getting in trouble (which most people would do)
That wasn't his girl, and he wasn't trying to protect her.

wzhxvy
07-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Flush it comes down to personal choice and in my view it is ratting out. You can disagree, but you are not going to change peoples' values on this. Not to mention that "pounding someone's face in" is not my idea of a proportionate response to a plastic cup, with some beer in it, thrown from 10 feet away. If that is your perspective, great, but dont impose your views on me.

And one more thing, if the guy was not a scrawny little guy, how many people would have been so brave ?? physically threatening him and going up to him with security. People were so sure it was him...poor guy did nothing. At the Canada/Jamaica game last year I think now, the things that were said and done were 10 times worse...no one was brave enough to go 1 on 1 or come within 5 feet without 10 of their friends. You tell on the wrong guy, and you can be in serious trouble...but of course no one wants to say that because we are all tough guys.

In my view, I draw the line on personal injury...if your tolerance is beer tossing fair enough.

FluSH
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Flush it comes down to personal choice and in my view it is ratting out. You can disagree, but you are not going to change peoples' values on this.

Why do I even bother... I'm on a footy board arguing street terms... call it whatever you want... Now I've met you... You're a cool guy.. but to me you don't know what you're talking about here ... and "you're not going to change my values on this"

You tell on the wrong guy, and you can be in serious trouble...but of course no one wants to say that because we are all tough guys.

You're right... you throw beer at the wrong guy and you can be in serious trouble as well. Also, I don't know why you're bringing up the JA game... there were many incidents that got heated around the stadium... but I know this one particular guy who went up and stood in front... 1 on 1... without 10 friends behind him.