PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Marquez To Join New York Red Bulls

Nestease
07-23-2010, 07:56 PM
According to Goal.com, the deal is done:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1884/north-america/2010/07/23/2039178/barcelona-defender-rafael-marquez-to-join-thierry-henry-at

Barcelona defender Rafael Marquez is to join Thierry Henry at New York Red Bulls on a four-year contract, Goal.com can exclusively reveal.

The 31-year old defender had eyed a move to Major League Soccer before playing at World Cup 2010 with Mexico. After starring for his nation in South Africa, he has now negotiated a release from his contract with the La Liga champions - which was set to run until 2012 - and has put pen to paper on a lucrative deal in the 'Big Apple'.

Speaking exclusively to Goal.com, a well placed source confirmed the deal will be officially announced next week.

"Marquez has signed for a four-year contract with the New York Red Bulls and will join up with Thierry Henry," they said.

"Marquez has gained his contract release from Barcelona and will get a salary of £2 million per season. The official announcement of the deal will be next week."

ginkster88
07-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Wow.

Juanito
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Geesh. Although Márquez was surplus to requirements @ Barça, he can still offer a lot. The Shite Bulls are definitley contenders.

Baggio2TFC
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
WOW...Thankl God we signed Mista and Santos. Pfft....Henry and Marquez.....What do the Shite Bulls know anywho!!

:drinking::picard:

rocker
07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
it'll just make it even sweeter when we kick red bull ass!

Oldtimer
07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Marquez holds nothing to Nick Garcia!

:ack2:

Baggio2TFC
07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
^^^ Lmfao!! Nice!

TFCRegina
07-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Sorry guys, but one defender a team does not make. Yes they have Henry too, but just because you bring in a DP defender, doesn't mean your club gets better. I think it's a mistake to sign a DP defender, but meh that's me.

Baggio2TFC
07-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Personally I think out of the 3 DP`s alloted....a defender is the most key. Especially if it`s a CB....They are thed ones in charge of tghe entire team for the entire game. Just watch any game and see who is leading the pack. IMO anyways.

Smokecell
07-23-2010, 09:00 PM
at this rate an LA - NY final would be pretty entertaining. Landycakes, Becks, and Ronaldinho vs Angel, Henry and Marquez. Shame the only way we stand to benefit is the final being played here

jloome
07-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Sorry guys, but one defender a team does not make. Yes they have Henry too, but just because you bring in a DP defender, doesn't mean your club gets better. I think it's a mistake to sign a DP defender, but meh that's me.

He's a pretty good midfielder, too. They can use him in both roles effectively.

Blowing Bubbles
07-23-2010, 09:25 PM
at this rate an LA - NY final would be pretty entertaining. Landycakes, Becks, and Ronaldinho vs Angel, Henry and Marquez. Shame the only way we stand to benefit is the final being played here

that would be a hot ticket!

bigtfcfan
07-23-2010, 09:56 PM
wow, I envy NYRB

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 11:27 PM

I want TFC there but let's be honest, that's not happening.

So THAT finaly would be super fantastic as a second choice.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 11:28 PM
And let's remember guys that the NYRB were doing quite well before these players arrived. I am frightened to think about what they will be like now.

mmmikey
07-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Ronaldinho won't be in LA this season.. Premature rumors I think. Don't think Becks is back this year either. His injury will take a while to heal.

Marquez will be great for NYRB but they need to be a good collective unit to succeed. This isn't the NBA where a few stars can carry the load. Here's hoping the rest of the team keep being shite. :)

ps I realize they haven't been lately :(

Pachuco
07-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Ronaldinho won't be in LA this season.. Premature rumors I think. Don't think Becks is back this year either. His injury will take a while to heal.

Marquez will be great for NYRB but they need to be a good collective unit to succeed. This isn't the NBA where a few stars can carry the load. Here's hoping the rest of the team keep being shite. :)

They've been nothing but a unit this year. The best thing that can happpen is Henry and Marquez come in and cause some drama in the locker room and they stop playing like a unit.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 11:39 PM
LA in the west, NY in the east, everyone else is just pretenders.

From zero to hero...NY is showing the rest of us that all this talk about taking years to build teams in the MLS is crap. Even before their multiple DPs arrive, NY is kicking ass. Now that their DPs are here, I think they will excel not regress.

We're in year 4 and while there has been improvement from last year for sure, this team is still unimpressive.

Yes, I am jealous. I admit it.

gtaguy
07-23-2010, 11:40 PM

ps I realize they haven't been lately :(

haha well said. But hey lets not forget the firepower tfc brought in:facepalm:. I hope the shite bulls don't hurt to much after the beating were going to give them:rolleyes:

FluSH
07-23-2010, 11:58 PM
motherfucker!

Ok we need to counter with Giovanni DOS SANTOS!!!!!! What turkish team is he currently playing for?

DangerRed
07-24-2010, 12:01 AM
NYRB is stacked now and that kid Kandji is amazing, some of the stuff he pulled against Tottenham. With Rafa and Henry, it's a team of which we should be afraid.

I can't wait till we play them in August and see what happens.

LA is way behind, quality-wise. Not even comparable. NY will take it this year. I guess "yay" that we get to watch it at BMO...

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Crap I will be in Europe during both NY games. I will be streaming this fo'sho!

rocker
07-24-2010, 12:23 AM
NYRB is stacked now and that kid Kandji is amazing, some of the stuff he pulled against Tottenham. With Rafa and Henry, it's a team of which we should be afraid.

Kandji can do the tricks. The problem for him is scoring. He flubs a shitload of chances. 5 goals in 28 games.

DangerRed
07-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Kandji can do the tricks. The problem for him is scoring. He flubs a shitload of chances. 5 goals in 28 games.

You're totally right -- I can't argue with results. But he has creativity and creativity, eventually, inevitably, leads to goals. He's waiting to break out and with guys of Rafa and Henry's caliber, he might be on his way. That's all I'm saying.

boban
07-24-2010, 03:25 AM

From zero to hero...NY is showing the rest of us that all this talk about taking years to build teams in the MLS is crap. Even before their multiple DPs arrive, NY is kicking ass. Now that their DPs are here, I think they will excel not regress.

We're in year 4 and while there has been improvement from last year for sure, this team is still unimpressive.

Wow this is unbelievable. I agree with you on all points.

TFC_Central
07-24-2010, 08:10 AM
OMG he is the NYRB's chad barret. And what do they do?? Bring in Henry. :picard:

ManUtd4ever
07-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Yikes! The Red Bulls have to be considered favorites at this point. I'm jealous too Roogsy. On a positive note though, I hope the defection of Henry and Marquez will enhance the image of MLS abroad and pave the way for more notable players in Europe to sign with other clubs in the league...

DavydMT
07-24-2010, 08:19 AM
i hope they can get some people in that stadium now, strong team in nyc is good for everyone.

Jack
07-24-2010, 10:12 AM
He's a pretty good midfielder, too. They can use him in both roles effectively.

At the same time. Marquez has often been Mexico's box to box guy while lining up as a defender. Very good passing and a great sense of when to push forward while also defending very well. He has a knack for scoring important goals, as well. Long one of my favourite players.

Where does this leave JPA?

ag futbol
07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
They were a good team before this happened. Guys like Lindpere and Stammler have played extremely well. Marquez will only help their cause.

I still think you can throw RSL in there with the contender mix. They've been better than everyone else at bringing in quality signings. Saborio might be the best non-dp pickup of the offseason, they hardly miss Yura Movsisyan at all... for most teams that'd be a big loss.

v00d00daddy
07-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Uhhh...yeah...it does.

If Marquez is motivated NYRB are instantly much much better.

Add a motivated Henry to the mix and I find it hard to believe that this team will be beaten.

Can't wait for TFC v. NYRB Aug. 11th and Aug. 21st

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree with Voodoodaddy :eek: ...if you bring in a DP defender, your club does get better. It isn't a complete solution but it certainly is a part of it. Imagine if we'd have signed a DP defender last year? I think we make the playoffs.

Nodoubtguy
07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
While Rafa may not be at the top of his career, he is still a great player and a scary addition to NYRB

TFCREDNWHITE
07-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Nice!, great addition of quality to the league!! Its another addition of skill to this league that will make heads turn in europe!

Dirk Diggler
07-24-2010, 12:20 PM
It would be a concern if they were using all their DP spots on forwards but I think it is very sensible that they are using their last spot on a defender. As Galaxy circa 2007-08 proved through their hideous tendency to leak goals, you can have all the firepower in the world but defense is still very integral in this league.

mmmikey
07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Marquez is best used when he can step up into midfield as others have alluded to. there was a good article on zonalmarking (http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/05/27/mexico-tactics-world-cup-2010-javier-agurre/). marquez plays in the center and steps up when needed to add strength to midfield, or drops back and they shift to a back 3. the hope i have is that most MLS players won't be able to play this kind of system so it won't take full advantage of his strengths. instead he will probably play a regular CB role who occasionally runs forward.. hopefully no one covers him at the back.

im trying to see a bright side here.. lets not crush it :(

J .
07-24-2010, 02:33 PM
We can still beat these guys. I think we can make it to the finals to be honest.

TFC07
07-24-2010, 02:42 PM
See TFC, this what you call an DP!

Now try to get one (you got the money to get one...we all know that).

EDIT: At least this means TFC now has a chance of signing Del Piero next season unless New York gets rid one of their DP. lol

TFCREDNWHITE
07-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Trust. They got the money...but did it ever occur that these High Profile names don't want to come to Toronto....They would rather play in New York or LA...

TFC07
07-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Trust. They got the money...but did it ever occur that these High Profile names don't want to come to Toronto....They would rather play in New York or LA...

Based on what? We can't assume all high profile players think like that (example, Cannavaro who decided to play in Middle East over America).

boban
07-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Based on what? We can't assume all high profile players think like that (example, Cannavaro who decided to play in Middle East over America).

I got to agree with TFC07 here. Toronto is not some backwater. European players don't view Canada as some wasteland. They travel the world to play the game they love, and one of those places now is Toronto. We have NBA, NHL, MLB for theoff nights for the players to enjoy if that is what they want.

Also, NY and LA are only two cities - and you do have a limited number of DP's available. So if they wangt into the MLS, Toronto is a viable option. Anyway, look at Seattle and Ljundburg. May not be Henry, but he is a huge signing that Toronto is not close to signing in calibre. At lastly, Metros-Croatia managed to bring Eusebio into Toronto. He was arguably bigger than Henry and Marquez put together in his time. There are no excuses.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
American athletes are the only ones that don't want to come to Canada. I don't think it's a major issue with players from anywhere else. Especially Toronto or Montreal, which are internationally respected cities.

boban
07-24-2010, 06:49 PM
American athletes are the only ones that don't want to come to Canada. I don't think it's a major issue with players from anywhere else. Especially Toronto or Montreal, which are internationally respected cities.
This is too wierd. Your making too much sense all of a sudden.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 06:54 PM
I recently started drinking...that might be it... :drinking:

Blowing Bubbles
07-26-2010, 11:30 AM
strongest link yet, with direct quotes from the GM that the signing is going to happen.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/07/26/2010-07-26_red_bulls_closing_in_on_mexican_defender_rafael _marquez_top_manchester_city_in_e.html

I know everyone likes to have a laugh over NY "energy drink" and the whole product placement in a name, shite bulls, etc ...... but man I pine for this type of ownership

"My personal hope is that the big cities have the biggest clubs," said Soler, a Norwegian who appreciates the disparity of the European leagues. "To be honest, I find it very strange - and I have full respect for MLS and the American way - but you have an area of 18 million people, and they tell you that you can't do this, you can't do that to fill the stadium because then you can't do it in Kansas City (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Kansas+City+Wizards) or San Jose (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/San+Jose) or wherever."

"I respect the rules, I follow the rules, but I think they have to change," Soler said. "I think loosening up the rules - like they have done with the third DP - would help us and I think would be great for the league."

Article also states that Marquez is going to play in midfield. Was scanning another NY paper and there's talk they might bring in another midfielder (on the cheap I guess?) and run a diamond.

2010 sure does seem to be the turning point in the league in terms of breaking parity up a bit. LA and NY are loading up and really looking to exploit the 3 DP setup.

Anyone else expect Barca to be playing a friendly against NYRB next year at the new NFL stadium where they get a very generous take of the gate? How else can NYRB be getting goodwill in the form of free transfers?

mmmikey
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Anyone else expect Barca to be playing a friendly against NYRB next year at the new NFL stadium where they get a very generous take of the gate? How else can NYRB be getting goodwill in the form of free transfers?

or a "strategic partnership" where they can share training methods to create "synergies" and all that bs. NYRB then pays X to barca. ;)

rocker
07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
I know everyone likes to have a laugh over NY "energy drink" and the whole product placement in a name, shite bulls, etc ...... but man I pine for this type of ownership

ahh yes, you pine for "buying a championship." All the greats do it ;)

There's absolutely no reason why an area of 18 million should have an advantage over a city of 1 million in terms of soccer spending.

Yohan
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
hrm. sounds like Robbo is going to be out of a job again

Cas87
07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
hrm. sounds like Robbo is going to be out of a job again

Maybe he is the "new signing" we are hearing about

Probably not but one can hope :scarf:

sidvan
07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Maybe he is the "new signing" we are hearing about

Probably not but one can hope :scarf:

We are still paying part of salary anyway - might as well put the uniform back on him.

:drum:

gtaguy
07-26-2010, 07:16 PM
ahh yes, you pine for "buying a championship." All the greats do it ;)

There's absolutely no reason why an area of 18 million should have an advantage over a city of 1 million in terms of soccer spending.

nice one rocker.. Are we ready for them.. becuase thier skill level has just jumped by 10 and where is tfc at the moment.. oh i forgot we got mista were gonna light up the new york skyway with him.. haha

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I really think concentrating such big names in two markets (if Ronnie to the Galaxy is te be believed), is really going to be bad for the league after fans get the initial "ooohs and aaaahs" out of their system - like they eventually did with Beckham.

Big names only want to play in New York and Los Angeles, because of the global cache they have as cities. So New York buys a juggernaut of world-class players who only want to play for them... and where does that leave the rest of the league? Or the league's legitimacy, for that matter?

Imagine if New York skate to a title this season? It will be an absolute joke, in my opinion. Might as well make it a two-team league, and rename every other franchise the "Washington Generals".

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2010, 07:54 PM

There is no evidence (as real examples of world-class DPs), of Marquez or Henry saying they'd be willing to go anywhere. Both had spoken of eventually wanting to play for New York or Los Angeles. Marquez was briefly linked to Miami, only because Barcelona were to be owners of the potential franchise.

Toronto might be internationally "respected" - whatever that means to a professional footballer - but Los Angeles and New York are cultural epicentres of the West, that rightly or wrongly have orders of magnitude more cache than Toronto.

To the people who mentioned Eusebio - please. Eusebio was so past his prime by the time he came to Canada, that he had previously been playing for minor Portugese teams before coming to North America - and then he bounced around to a different team every bloody year when he finally did come, before ending up in the second-rung American Soccer League within three years.

Ljungberg is also barely worth mentioning, given how completely mediocre he has been this season, and how generally "meh" he was last season.

Henry, Marquez, and Ronaldinho are world-class footballers who still have good years left in them. And LA/New York have the market cornered on that class of DP.

- Scott

TFC USA
07-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I think soccer's growth in America runs through New York. Fuck LA and their fake ass way of living. New York is considered one of, if not, the best cities in the world and is way more diverse than Los Angeles.

But yeah I can see a total NASL-style fiasco by signing these over-the-hill players to make a quick buck.

Pachuco
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I really think concentrating such big names in two markets (if Ronnie to the Galaxy is te be believed), is really going to be bad for the league after fans get the initial "ooohs and aaaahs" out of their system - like they eventually did with Beckham.

Big names only want to play in New York and Los Angeles, because of the global cache they have as cities. So New York buys a juggernaut of world-class players who only want to play for them... and where does that leave the rest of the league? Or the league's legitimacy, for that matter?

Imagine if New York skate to a title this season? It will be an absolute joke, in my opinion. Might as well make it a two-team league, and rename every other franchise the "Washington Generals".

- Scott

Oh god, now bringing Ronaldinho and Henry is bad for the league. for crying out loud it's still a capped league with a 3 DP rule. nothing is stopping us from building a more balanced team that can beat NY and LA. Christ sakes both these teams did everything up to now without their DPs and you are going to give all the credit to Henry and Ronaldinho if one of these teams wins the league?

Roogsy
07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I agree with Pachuco. To hold back because Clownbus or KC can't keep up only holds the rest of the league back. Big-name players bring sponsorship, bring attention, bring credibility. If we think we're going to build globally competitive teams with the Todd Dunivants of the league...good luck.

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh god, now bringing Ronaldinho and Henry is bad for the league. for crying out loud it's still a capped league with a 3 DP rule. nothing is stopping us from building a more balanced team that can beat NY and LA. Christ sakes both these teams did everything up to now without their DPs and you are going to give all the credit to Henry and Ronaldinho if one of these teams wins the league?

I didn't say bringing in world-class players was bad for the league. Get a grip. You distilled my more nuanced point down to something basic and stupid.

I said the legitimacy of the league could be quickly brought into question if every world-class calibre DP with gas left in the tank only opts to go to Los Angeles or New York, turning those two teams into fairly consistent juggernauts. And yes, having a player like Henry running your attack, and a player like Marquez running your defense, has a major impact.

I said "imagine if New Yorkl skate to a title" - meaning destroying everything in their path. "Skate" literally implies a path of very little resistance. New York have not been "skating" to a title this season, to this point - in fact, they are 3-2-5 the past 10 games.

So, if players like Henry and Marquez manage to drastically alter their fortunes for the better, and this calibre of players continue to only be available to Los Angeles and New York, I think it will reflect poorly on the league. Simple.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
I agree with Pachuco. To hold back because Clownbus or KC can't keep up only holds the rest of the league back. Big-name players bring sponsorship, bring attention, bring credibility. If we think we're going to build globally competitive teams with the Todd Dunivants of the league...good luck.

Again - you're arguing a point I didn't make. You're elaborating on Pachuco's mis-characterization of my argument.

- Scott

Roogsy
07-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I am not here to correct whether Pachuco's comment accurately represents your statement. I merely stated that the statement in and of itself is one that I agree with.

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I am not here to correct whether Pachuco's comment accurately represents your statement. I merely stated that the statement in and of itself is one that I agree with.

Fair enough.

- Scott

Pachuco
07-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I didn't say bringing in world-class players was bad for the league. Get a grip. You distilled my more nuanced point down to something basic and stupid.

I said the legitimacy of the league could be quickly brought into question if every world-class calibre DP with gas left in the tank only opts to go to Los Angeles or New York, turning those two teams into fairly consistent juggernauts. And yes, having a player like Henry running your attack, and a player like Marquez running your defense, has a major impact.

I said "imagine if New Yorkl skate to a title" - meaning destroying everything in their path. "Skate" literally implies a path of very little resistance. New York have not been "skating" to a title this season, to this point - in fact, they are 3-2-5 the past 10 games.

So, if players like Henry and Marquez manage to drastically alter their fortunes for the better, and this calibre of players continue to only be available to Los Angeles and New York, I think it will reflect poorly on the league. Simple.

- Scott

I'm still reading the same thing. Bringing in world class players is bad for the league. So long as they come to NY and LA only. That's obviously what I meant by my statement.

Your argument couldn't be more shortsighted. 3 DPs is all a team is allowed, and not only that, having 3 DPs has it's disadvantages as well. There is no reason why having 3 World Class DPs on a team guarantees a cup, particularly in a salary capped league like this one. It is still VERY possible that NY doesn't win the cup. In fact, without Ronaldinho, LA can still take it this year as right now they are untouchable. There is also no reason why Columbus can't keep finding the Schelotto's of this world. How good have they been since he arrived in the league? And there is no reason why teams in this league can't sign DPs, albeit maybe not world class. Think about what you are saying, that 6 players alone are going to guarantee a cup for 2 teams going forward.

You are taking the MLS and pretending it's about to turn into the MLB. You have to remove the cap and the 3 DP rule way before that shit happens. And when that starts to happen then we can have a conversation and we'll probably be on the same side. As for now, I don't understand why you are blowing this way out of proportion. With the rules as they stand today, there should still be lots of parity in this league.

nascarguy
07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
he wants to sign with a EPL team not mls I hear he is looking at liverpool

nascarguy
07-27-2010, 09:14 AM
BREAKING NEWS Rafael Marquez will leave @FCBarcelona (http://twitter.com/FCBarcelona) to join the New York Red Bulls. He will sign a 3 year contract on Friday.

Pachuco
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
BREAKING NEWS Rafael Marquez will leave @FCBarcelona (http://twitter.com/FCBarcelona) to join the New York Red Bulls. He will sign a 3 year contract on Friday.

Who's twitter did this come from? I'm assuming this is a twitter post?

nascarguy
07-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Who's twitter did this come from? I'm assuming this is a twitter post?
yes it was from twitter

Pachuco
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
yes it was from twitter

Yeap, got that. But who's twitter did it come from?

jaxul
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
yes it was from twitter

but he asked who's twitter account :D

DangerRed
07-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Type in "Rafa Marquez" into twitter's search box. It's everywhere.

TFC USA
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
BTW I don't see what's wrong with creating these big teams as long as the players are still in their prime. RSL winning the Cup was nice but it's a fuckin disgrace to be shit the entire season, barely make the playoffs, and crown yourselves champions.

I'd rather New York win the title (painful as that sounds) than the god damn Galaxy and Landycakes.

DangerRed
07-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Whoa. Seems everybody wants a piece of Kandji (NYRB) following that amazing performance he turned in against Manchester:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/red_bulls_kandji_draws_epl_interest_Os6MDoR7bKjSYa UkN11nKK

Menelaos
07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

You are overlooking the fact that he also plays Mid.

In fact, Barcelona had a much greater need for him to play CD (when he did) then the Mexican National team did. Quite often he played Mid for the Mexican team.

He's a little more versitile than your average CD.

I posted about this about 2 months ago when the rumor first came about :facepalm:

Yohan
07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Whoa. Seems everybody wants a piece of Kandji (NYRB) following that amazing performance he turned in against Manchester:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/red_bulls_kandji_draws_epl_interest_Os6MDoR7bKjSYa UkN11nKK
Kandji haven't had one solid year in MLS. he'd fail at EPL.

I like to think Kandji as poor man's Drogba. Similar skill set, but without the finishing. Kandji has even worse finishing than Barrett. Until he scores a few goals in MLS, he won't make it in Europe, let alone EPL

DangerRed
07-28-2010, 01:37 PM

I like to think Kandji as poor man's Drogba. Similar skill set, but without the finishing. Kandji has even worse finishing than Barrett. Until he scores a few goals in MLS, he won't make it in Europe, let alone EPL

I don't know, he didn't seem to have many problems putting a goal away against Man City and causing problems for Tottenham, and that's what everyone (European clubs) was watching.

He may have a worse strike rate than Barrett, but I'm betting we'll see Kandji on the other side of the pond sometime in the future.

DangerRed
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Here you go, it's official. You don't even need to translate Rafa Marquez's official web site to see he's moving to NYRB:

http://www.rafaelmarquez.com.mx/esp/noticia_detalle.php?id=705

rocker
07-28-2010, 11:58 PM

ya. Kandji is not an EPL prospect at all. too old, hasn't proven himself. He has some skill but his shooting is awful. He's the same age as O'Brien White, who has a slightly better strike rate in MLS. Nobody would ever think White could be in the EPL.

Yohan
07-29-2010, 01:20 AM
you never know. maybe henry will teach kandji how to finish. lol

jaxul
07-29-2010, 08:03 AM
^^^
He certainly can't hurt Handji's skills. I say let's wait and see how Handji does playing with one of the best strikers in the MLS (if not the best at the moment) for half a season and possibly playoffs.

Shway
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
ya. Kandji is not an EPL prospect at all. too old, hasn't proven himself. He has some skill but his shooting is awful. He's the same age as O'Brien White, who has a slightly better strike rate in MLS. Nobody would ever think White could be in the EPL.

how is he too old?
he is better than obrien white so lets not compare that?
and since when is strike rate makes you a good player

POLL:
Who would you rather on TFC Mac Kanji or O'brien White

◘ Kandji
◘ White

MUFC_Niagara
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM

I could not agree more with this post. Well said Roogs.

DangerRed
07-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Dude is 24. How is he too old? And I'd dump White for Kandji in a SECOND.

rocker
07-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Dude is 24. How is he too old? And I'd dump White for Kandji in a SECOND.

Umm, 24 is old for an EPL prospect.
If you have proven nothing by age 24, then I don't think the EPL is the place for you..... unless you like warming benches or shining Wayne Rooney's boots.

If you traded White for Kandji you'd be even, since they contribute about the same.

Shway
07-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Umm, 24 is old for an EPL prospect.
If you have proven nothing by age 24, then I don't think the EPL is the place for you..... unless you like warming benches or shining Wayne Rooney's boots.

If you traded White for Kandji you'd be even, since they contribute about the same.

so waht about Donavon, Arshavin? Jovanovic?

Pachuco
07-30-2010, 09:55 AM
so waht about Donavon, Arshavin? Jovanovic?

To be fair to Rocker. He said if you have proven nothing by the age of 24. Arshavin, Donavan, Jovanovic all proved something in a major tournament (world cups and euro cups) and that's how they got noticed. Kandji really hasn't proven much, even in the MLS. And I don't think he's been involved in any major tournaments.

ArmenJBX
08-02-2010, 03:43 PM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/TheGairey/noooo1.gif