PDA

View Full Version : Unorthadox Corner Strategies. . .

Technorgasm
07-23-2010, 11:46 AM
This might seem strange, but I would actually prefer it if we tried something completely unorthodox from corners (unless we have a secret / exceptional header'er on our team).

I have highlighted one line of text in RED, to see who you lot would put into these situations

So, if I could have any influence whatsoever on the coaching/management of the club, I would propose the following strategies:

Hard and low into the 6y-box

May present an easy tap in for one of our players
May bounce off an opposition player into the net
May bounce up into an opposition player's hand, giving a chance of a penalty
Can be taken by anyone with powerful kicks

In-swinging, aiming to directly score

May go straight into the net
May present an easy tap-in at the back post for one of our players
Should be taken by the best curlers of the ball

Ball knocked outside of the quadrant "trick"

Should create a free run down the goal line, which can then be passed into the box for an easy tap-in
Unfortunately, most refs would mistakenly recognise it as an illegally taken corner
A "safer" variation of this would be to take a short corner to a player who can consistently beat the short corner defender, to then pass into the box for an easy tap-in

Line up on the "D" then burst into random positions

This should be attempted with 4 or 5 of the tallest available players
Hard for opposition defenders to track runs
If timed correctly, the burst movement can give the player momentum with which to header the ball with more power
Does not require a pinpoint cross, due to randomness of the movements

All on front post, except one short attacking player

Not difficult to hit a target man, as so many are on front post
If flicked on, can present an easy tap-in
If not flicked on, the one player not on the front post can lose his man, then exploit the extra space and may be presented with an easy tap-in

Hit hard purposely at the first defender

May deflect into the box dangerously
May win another corner, where something else can be tried against an unsuspecting defence
May injure the defender in question (no sportsmanship here, but a point of note nonetheless!)
Player that has a very hard shot

Float ball outside box

Only viable when a player capable of shooting from distance is unmarked about 25-30 yards from goal
First-time/chest control then volley could lead to a spectacular shot/goal
An alternative to shooting could be for the unmarked player to lob a header/control and dink the ball over the rushing defence who expect him to shoot, which may leave another of our players one-on-one

In my opinion, introducing a mixture of these strategies randomly to our play would make us much less predictable and actually worry opposing teams as they have no idea of how to set up their defence to cope with how we might attack them.

(DOES ANYONE HAVE A STAT ON TFC GOALS DIRECTLY FROM CORNER? I CAN REMEMBER 3 since 2007)

Personally I would love to see us introduce at least ONE of these strategies to our play.

Thoughts anyone? Any more interesting variations on taking corner kicks that could increase our success rate from them?

:scarf:

ArmenJBX
07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Its not Preki ball at all, he'd much rather do the tradional corners well as opposed to fancy ones poorly.

pekduck
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I prefer to see the good old boring corner conversion strategy executed correctly at a reasonable conversion rate.

Learn to walk proper first, then run. :)

Krasno.pL.
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Cross the ball into the box... and win a header.. :)

we barely do that

CoachGT
07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
A pinpoint cross isn't necessary much of the time anyway. By the time a ball gets put into the air, there is a surprising amount of time to be able to get to it by the time it gets to a playable level, especially when you've got a number of players in the box.

Personally, I'd prefer simple and straightforward. Inswinger or outswinger, target about 6 feet past the penalty spot. Have a player hang high above the target spot and one on the far side of the box, with the usual gang (taller players who are good with their heads) in the middle. That gives opportunity whether it is short or long.

In year 2 there was a play with corners, where the corner was sent to a late man (Brennan) coming in from high down the near side who then volleys a shot at net. I can't recall whether the play ever scored or not, but the first attempt was excellent and missed by a narrow margin.

razor787
07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
I remember that one. Went just over the net. I was hoping Carver would bring in more of those, but it didnt happen... Definately was a great strategy though.

Stouffville_RPB
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Hard and low into the 6y-box - I don't think the ball would get into a dangerous position often enough.
In-swinging, aiming to directly score - Too easy for the keeper.
Ball knocked outside of the quadrant "trick" - Don't think that we have anyone that would be able to do this without making it obvious to opponents. If DeRo, for example, no where near the net on a corner opponents would know something is up.
Line up on the "D" then burst into random positions - Like this suggestion the most by far. Can cause confusion for the defense and gives all of our players a chance to get into a position, instead of standing by watching.
All on front post, except one short attacking player - Not bad. Like the confusion aspect.
Hit hard purposely at the first defender - Something tells me Preki would like the intensity of this play. :D Don't think trying to injure a player is the the most productive thing you can do with a corner. Creating a scoring chance is more valuable than maybe hurting someone.
Float ball outside box - I liked when they tried this will Jimmy B. JDG is capable of something like this.

TFC should try something different once in a while. It would bring some unpredictability to their attack.

I wouldn't mind if they had more guys waiting at the top of the box on corners that get to react to where the ball is kicked. It might be easier than the kick taker trying to pick out one man or spot to get it to.

Stouffville_RPB
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
In year 2 there was a play with corners, where the corner was sent to a late man (Brennan) coming in from high down the near side who then volleys a shot at net. I can't recall whether the play ever scored or not, but the first attempt was excellent and missed by a narrow margin.

He was close on the first one and missed the net by some margin the second. It was never tried after that.

Carts
07-23-2010, 12:23 PM
My favourite set play is to bring a man 3-4 yards away to fake a short corner...

At the same time, JDG who usually sits 5-yards on top of the box starts to slowly sneak toawards the corner / top-corner or the box...

As a defender draws near to mark the short corner, all the focus is there...

Kicker sends a ball directly at the short-man, who allows it to go between his legs - at the moment of contact, JDG would charge the ball, getting possesion in the top-corner area of the box for a shot, or back-post chip...

Hopefully I described that ok... Obviously not my idea, I've seen it done a few times in EPL matches...

It worked well in those cases...

Not something you can do everytime, or even more than once in a match - but its a little creativity to shake things up...

Thanks guys,
Carts...

ochos
07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Last season in indoor I cracked one from 30 yards (see #7 above) with a roundhouse kick above my head.... LAZER :D

Technorgasm
07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
the "all on front post" is one I thkn we have teh skill
and teh personnel to complete. .

the point is, maybe mixing up the tactic will get us a few more goals from corners. . something I think we dont get enough of. . .

I wonder who is the most successful/ productive corner taker team in MLS?

AL-MO
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Last season in indoor I cracked one from 30 yards (see #7 above) with a roundhouse kick above my head.... LAZER :D

And missed by 30 yards right?

:D

ACSertL
07-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm partial to the Ribery-Robben-Volley that shit into the back of the net...

Maybe...someday...:)

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
How about a cross that doesn't go sailing well past players and the entire box and out for a throw-in or goal kick?

I'd like to see that from TFC. Mista might make a difference there.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
the "all on front post" is one I thkn we have teh skill
and teh personnel to complete. .

the point is, maybe mixing up the tactic will get us a few more goals from corners. . something I think we dont get enough of. . .

I wonder who is the most successful/ productive corner taker team in MLS?

When Goldenballs was playing, I would assume LA.

mmmikey
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
How about a cross that doesn't go sailing well past players and the entire box and out for a throw-in or goal kick?

^ this. that drives me crazy.. so wasteful.

tfc2007
07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
KISS.

Broadview
07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
They were practicing corners today, both executing and defending them. It was mostly nothing fancy...except for that one thing nobody would ever expect.

My dog barked now and then without distracting them, so they're pretty focused.

Carts
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
With the panic-mess that goes on during most MLS corners, the short cross - with header flick-on might be a good option...

Carts...

CoachGT
07-23-2010, 08:24 PM
TFC should try something different once in a while. It would bring some unpredictability to their attack.

Like either sending the ball back to Frei, or perhaps letting him take the corner?

I think one of the issues right now is having someone who can consistently cross the ball on a carner. Perhaps Mista will be the guy (after the connection with Santos, I'd give it a shot!). With that challenge, KISS is the best principle. I refer back to my original post in this thread.

GingerNinja
07-23-2010, 10:15 PM

Robbo scored one like that. I think Guevara passed it to him from the corner kick. Carl got under it and it lobbed into the net from about 30 yards out.

prizby
07-24-2010, 12:27 PM
i think we have scored a few (at least one...dan gargan) from long corners across the box

Technorgasm
07-26-2010, 08:31 AM
watching dallas pot one on that corner filled my with Envy. . cuz I woudl love us to score more from corners. . and anger, as we had them by the short n curlies all game. . and deserved 3 points. . . FUCK

Pinkie
07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
my 2 cents into this topic- no short corners. we're shit at them, we never score, yet we always seem to revert to using them.

TFCtoMUFC
07-26-2010, 11:56 AM
KISS.

http://www.wolf-howl.com/wp-content/uploads/kiss.jpg

Let Paul Stanley take the corner, send Gene far post and bam we have a goal.

TFCtoMUFC
07-26-2010, 11:57 AM
my 2 cents into this topic- no short corners. we're shit at them, we never score, yet we always seem to revert to using them.

LaBrocca's goal in May against Chicago, the one that the wind carried. Was that not a short corner?

Technorgasm
09-08-2010, 11:13 AM
please try Number 1 vs Fire.

dontsaydoinyourwife

Technorgasm
04-08-2011, 08:49 AM
when is that training at Cheery beach again?

I wouldl ike to see if we are trying any of these. . .

Davenport
04-08-2011, 09:32 AM
We've got to get a corner first.

Derko
04-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Was that under Preki/MoJo, I would think it would change under Winter & Co. I like the strike from just outside the box, like Steven Gerrard seems to be able to do, but it has to be hard and low, around waist level.

Derko
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
We've got to get a corner first.

Yes, we had very few last week!!

Technorgasm
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
This might seem strange, but I would actually prefer it if we tried something completely unorthodox from corners (unless we have a secret / exceptional header'er on our team).

I have highlighted one line of text in RED, to see who you lot would put into these situations

So, if I could have any influence whatsoever on the coaching/management of the club, I would propose the following strategies:

Hard and low into the 6y-box

May present an easy tap in for one of our players
May bounce off an opposition player into the net
May bounce up into an opposition player's hand, giving a chance of a penalty
Can be taken by anyone with powerful kicks

In-swinging, aiming to directly score

May go straight into the net
May present an easy tap-in at the back post for one of our players
Should be taken by the best curlers of the ball

Ball knocked outside of the quadrant "trick"

Should create a free run down the goal line, which can then be passed into the box for an easy tap-in
Unfortunately, most refs would mistakenly recognise it as an illegally taken corner
A "safer" variation of this would be to take a short corner to a player who can consistently beat the short corner defender, to then pass into the box for an easy tap-in

Line up on the "D" then burst into random positions

This should be attempted with 4 or 5 of the tallest available players
Hard for opposition defenders to track runs
If timed correctly, the burst movement can give the player momentum with which to header the ball with more power
Does not require a pinpoint cross, due to randomness of the movements

All on front post, except one short attacking player

Not difficult to hit a target man, as so many are on front post
If flicked on, can present an easy tap-in
If not flicked on, the one player not on the front post can lose his man, then exploit the extra space and may be presented with an easy tap-in

Hit hard purposely at the first defender

May deflect into the box dangerously
May win another corner, where something else can be tried against an unsuspecting defence
May injure the defender in question (no sportsmanship here, but a point of note nonetheless!)
Player that has a very hard shot

Float ball outside box

Only viable when a player capable of shooting from distance is unmarked about 25-30 yards from goal
First-time/chest control then volley could lead to a spectacular shot/goal
An alternative to shooting could be for the unmarked player to lob a header/control and dink the ball over the rushing defence who expect him to shoot, which may leave another of our players one-on-one

In my opinion, introducing a mixture of these strategies randomly to our play would make us much less predictable and actually worry opposing teams as they have no idea of how to set up their defence to cope with how we might attack them.

(DOES ANYONE HAVE A STAT ON TFC GOALS DIRECTLY FROM CORNER? I CAN REMEMBER 3-6 since 2007)

Thoughts anyone? Any more interesting variations on taking corner kicks that could increase our success rate from them?

:scarf:

is ther any chance we will see any of this at BMO ro am I expecting too much?

trane
02-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I like short corners, or kicking the ball to a second player close, that can then either cross/pass it into the box with more accuracy then the traditional corner cross, or run into the box.

The problem that I have with corners and high crossed generaly, is that it is something of a 50/50 ball. The edge goes to the attacking players because of the change that it ends up in the back of the net by mistake but it is only slightly better.

I have said this before, as a CB, I have always felt uneasy about defending low crosses/passes infront of the face of the goal, as it is so easy for them to end up in the back of the net if you make the wrong contact with the ball. A high cross is easier you mark your man tight, and then you go up and attack the area in which the ball is comming, either getting to the ball or putting the attacker of ballance making it hard for him to get his head on it properly.

Technorgasm
02-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I like short corners, or kicking the ball to a second player close, that can then either cross/pass it into the box with more accuracy then the traditional corner cross, or run into the box.

The problem that I have with corners and high crossed generaly, is that it is something of a 50/50 ball. The edge goes to the attacking players because of the change that it ends up in the back of the net by mistake but it is only slightly better.

I have said this before, as a CB, I have always felt uneasy about defending low crosses/passes infront of the face of the goal, as it is so easy for them to end up in the back of the net if you make the wrong contact with the ball. A high cross is easier you mark your man tight, and then you go up and attack the area in which the ball is comming, either getting to the ball or putting the attacker of ballance making it hard for him to get his head on it properly.

There is a very small window between hard, head high cross, and looping back post lob.
the lob easier to defend.
but is you ahve a hungry player charging from outside the 6 box to meet it, its a wonderful goal. .

I would just like to see mroe production from corners.
short or long, its one of many areas of improvement I have focused on.

Ilike #5, and think Plata is the key man to make it work.